Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    The speed and ABS sensors are not the same. However, the speed sensor not working properly can cause an ABS fault. A faulty speed sensor can also cause irratic idle speed problems as well.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Does anybody know where i can get any performance parts for a 46RE trans like a shift kit or any kind of parts?????????
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
    I should add, however, that a stalling condition can be caused by a number of things, including a dirty idle speed solenoid or motor, bad plug wires, throttle position sensor, etc.

Dusty
  • bc20bc20 Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue, did you find fix? Typically in the morning my radio and turn signals will not stay on, but in the after noon everything seems to work fine. I was able to figure out if I turn my key a little forward it will turn on the radio and signals, but typically would the switch off after a little while.

Thanks if you can provide any insight.
  • morf2540morf2540 Posts: 2
    Thanks! That was the magic piece of info. I found it online.
  • bbrain44bbrain44 Posts: 3
    Dusty,

I have a 99 Dodge Dakota 2WD (it has the same problem you responded to above) and I have been unable to get a speed sensor for my truck. I have been to several autoparts stores and they all have the same sensor listed for the truck. When I removed the sensor I had to remove a shield and then remove a stud that the shield was attached to. The replacement sensor screws in where mine is pressed in and sealed with a O ring. I have a picture of the old sensor. I would appreciate any help that I get to find a replacement. I really do not want to go to the dealer unless it is necessary. I have put a picture of the old and the supposed replacement on this link. sensors I could also use a bit of advice on how to remove the connecting wire without destroying it.

Thanks,
    George
    Aftermarket parts stores are usually behind when it comes to alternate or revised component changes. This is the case in your situation. You will have to go back to Dodge.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I currently am waiting to get my power steering pump replaced on my 04 4x4 4.7l. I get the impression this is a common failure with this engine by reading these forums my dealer admitted as much. All of us who have had to replace a pump should contact NHTSB and file complaints. This is a safety issue as I see it.
  • bbrain44bbrain44 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information. I was able to find an aftermarket part from the AutoPartsStore.com or AutoPartsGiant.com. The sensor is put out by Standard Motor Products PN: ALS203. It sells for $27.26 plus shipping and handling (about $10). The OEM PN: 56028187AE is available from your local Dodge dealer for $52.19. I don't know how reliable the aftermarket part is but I am going to give it a try.

Thanks,
    George
  • popdaddypopdaddy Posts: 22
    I've got a 2000 Dak, 3.9 V6, and the AC blows great, but doesn't blow cold. Doesn't blow hot, just kind of room temperature. Any suggestions?
  • pentastarpentastar Posts: 4
    I went through the same scenerio last Sunday after Tenefly sent me the wrong part.
    The part number on the sensor is 2898 and looks exactly like the one you have a pic of there.The one they sent had a speedometer shaft sticking out of it.
    You can find the clip to release the connector right on the very top of it,I had fun finding it too but I did release it and separated it so I could clean it up to find the part number on it.
    I have not heard back from Tenefly yet but I am sure they will replace it.My problem is going under the truck twice when I explained it all in the original order to avoid this.
    I am going to look at the part you found and see if I can order it sooner. Ron
  • live77live77 Posts: 4
    I have a 1992 Dakota with the 5.2 engine. The other day driving down the highway with ac on high nice and cold inside the cab, It was about 100 outside. All the sudden It started getting warm inside the cab. I put my hand up to the vents and it was blowing cold air but not very hard. I tried moving the switch for the blower and basically seemed to only blow on low and maybe one notch higher but not enough to keep it cool inside. Today will driving it the ac was blowing great then all the sudden no fan at all. Is this just a blower motor that went out or something else? I have to get this fixed asap as it is going to be near 100 for the next week. Hope someone can help.
  • 68valiant68valiant Posts: 4
    I have 2001 Dakota Quad Cad 4x4 that recently developed an electrical gremlin. The keyless entry, power/automatic locks and dome lights have all stopped working (temporarily). Also the "Service 4x4" light comes on when I start the engine, which starts normally. As soon as I drive a few blocks the light goes out and the locks and the rest start functioning again.

It has done this 3 times in the last 2 days; all 3 times have been in the evening. I called my local dealer and the Service Manager and I talked about the CTM and other possibilities. He suggested that it could be a loose ground near the CTM under the kick panel, or posssibly a bad battery,as this happens sometimes in Jeeps.

I had the guys at Schucks check the battery and charging system. I did find out that the battery is about 200 amps down from the 750 amps for starting, but all else tested fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to not have to replace the CTM.

Thanks,
    JW
  • ron35ron35 Posts: 134
    live77 - It is more than likely that this is a variable resistor, which controls the blower speeds. Not very expensive and easy to replace ($20-$30). Not sure of the location on your vehicle but it might be on the firewall under the hood.

Ron35
  • Just stumbled on this site and like the idea of a dakota owners forum. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota club cab 4x4 that I bought almost 2 years ago used. Since then I have had 2 calipers lock up on me and have had them replaced. It has 72,000 miles on it which is not normal to go through that many calipers. I have taken it to shops and the dealer. They have checked the master cylinder as well as the brake lines and cannot find anything. Any ideas? I recently had my ball joints replaced with the recall and was told that this might fix the problem but I don't see how. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Clint
  • live77live77 Posts: 4
    Thanks Ron35 I appreciate the reply. It is going to be tomorrow before I can get it looked at so if there are any other ideas/suggestions please go ahead and let me know.
    Well, your post mentioned the immediate things that come to my mind. The battery could do this. For some reason on Dakotas a punky battery can cause the strangest things. Having the chimes go off occasionally is one I've actually seen. If original, your Daks battery is about the right age to have things happen.

The Central Timer Module will also be a likely culprit, especially in your vintage Dakota.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I don't see how a ball joint replacement is going to fix a frozen caliper, either.

You could have moisture in the brake fluid which will cause the pistons in the calipers to rust internally leading to piston seizure. A complete flush of the brake system will be required to resolve this. If both calipers have frozen, this could be the cause.

Another problem...one more likely...is a deterioration of the rubber brake lines going to from the caliper to the steel line. What happens is the rubber absorbs brake fluid and swells, closing off the passage on the inside of the line. When brake pressure is applied, brake fluid will be forced into the caliper. But when the brake pedal is returned the rubber line closes up and pressure is not released from the caliper. If the caliper on the same wheel has frozen twice, I would recommend changing both rubber lines.

Of course, you could just have leaky piston seals on the caliper and this will cause seizing of the caliper piston.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I have no spark going to my distribuator of my 87 dakota. I have checked aand changed everything from my spark contol comp. to my carb, except my distribuator some one please help
  • ron35ron35 Posts: 134
    I have a 2K Dak CC 4.7 5 speed. I have heard some talk on this forum in the past about getting the power steering fluid changed. I don't have any problems right now but I am thinking of getting this done before I do have problems. How much does this cost to have the dealership do this.

Ron35
This discussion has been closed.