Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mnallmnall Member Posts: 8
    I called and filed a complaint to dodge about the vibration in my truck on there 800 number. There not real friendly on the telephone either.
  • mikeb9mikeb9 Member Posts: 2
    So, any failed power windows out there? No aftermarket?
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    Thanks for the help everyone. When the weather warms up a bit, I'll pull the coils and check everything out. Interestingly, it hasn't made any noise the past two days.
    I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that when I come to a stop for more than about 15 seconds, I get a faint gasoline type smell from the HVAC system. As long as I'm moving, it doesn't happen. When I switch to recirculated air, it goes away. So, it's coming from the outside of the truck.

I've looked under the hood while its running, and I don't smell any gas type odors, nor do I see any signs of leakage around the fuel injectors or the fuel rails. There's no sign of leakage on the ground.

I've thought about a leak in the evaporative emissions system, but that tends to cause a check engine light, which I don't have. About the only thing I haven't done is inspect the fuel lines from the tank to the engine.

Granted, a couple of drops of gas will go a long way towards stinking things up, so it could be something very small. I just don't want my Dak to burst into flames one day.

What do the resident experts think? Thanks.
  • brekobreko Member Posts: 2
    any clues on this one, driving down the hwy at 65 mph and the engine just shuts down.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    suspect the in-tank fuel pump may be crapping out. (technical term ;-)
    (Bookitty) NOPE! I havent "accepted" automatic xmissions. Most the world (outside North America) use Manual xmissions.

I keep up with the various technologies (Recall that I work in the computer-chip manufacturing industry) and I have read VERY good things about the DSG automatic xmissions as sold by VW/Audi.

The DSG xmission has been called an "automatic manual xmission". It contains 2 seperate geartrains each with an eectronically-controled clutch. The "next" gear is pre-enguaged and the clutches "swap" between the gears with lightning speed. It is the FIRST automaticly-shifting xmission that gets better MPG than a manual.

The DSG xmission is the very same technology that is used on F1 race cars with the "paddle shifters" on the steering wheel. The gear-changes are instantanious.

It has been said that this kind of xmission signals the end of the old "slushbox" automatics due to the better efficency. (Virtually no slippage)
  • brekobreko Member Posts: 2
    this is what I replaced so far and checked, replaced coil and pick up coil and distributer cap, after truck ran for a 30min it shut down and there was no spark, currently the computer board was sent in and was being tested, board on way back and was tested for 10 hours, and tested out ok, board is now on its way back hopefully I will have it back by Monday, I just changed today engine crank sensor but wont know till I get the board back. If there is anything else to try let me know, also once the engine has cooled it starts back up only to shut off after 20 to 30 min of running. fuel pump was tested and ran 39 pounds of pressure.
    It sounds like you are headed the right direction with troublshooting the problem. Certainly that crank-position sensor could have been the problem... we shall find out once you get the 'puter back.

By your description of the problem, it sounds as if somthing heat related with the ignition system. I can offer some "tricks -n- techniques" that are commonly used in the electrontics industry to locate thermal issues.

You can use a "heat gun" (hair dryer) to heat up specific components and see if the engine quits. Alternatly, you can use "canned coolant" spray that is designed to cool off electronic components by spraying them.

The above techniques may help you isolate the problem instead of just "shotgunning" the problem by replacing things until the problem goes away.

Also, If you have any experinece with DVM (Digital Volt Meter) or oscillascope, you could actually TROUBLESHOOT the problem to find the failing component.
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone had this problem ? Have one leaking, Parts house does not offer replacement
    This thing must be a blem did a search hear and only one post about heater core Leak.

Anyone know how hard to get it out ?

Can it be repaired a rad Shop ? Rather have a New one !!!

Thanks Jon
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone had this problem ? Have one leaking, Parts house does not offer replacement
    This thing must be a blem did a search here and only one post about heater core Leak.

Anyone know how hard to get it out ?

Can it be repaired a rad Shop ? Rather have a New one !!!

Thanks Jon
    My 02 has a very small leak in the heater core. Just enough to smell it when you first turn on the fan, but goes away after 15-20 sec. The core is about $200 from the dealer. It's like a 6-7 hr job to replace. The whole underside of the dash must be disassembled. The AC system must also be evacuated. I've had quotes of about $600-$800 to do it, including the part. I suspect that the part is plastic and aluminum, so it probably isn't repairable, depending on where the leak is. Any decent shop should be able to replace it, although the mechanic that gets stuck with it may forever hate you.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    2006 DODGE DAKOTA SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE
    Recall Date:
    FEB 09, 2006
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR-WHEEL ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEMS (ABS), THE ABS ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT (ECU) MAY CAUSE A LOSS OF FRONT TO REAR BRAKE BALANCE, AND THE REAR BRAKES COULD LOCK UP PREMATURELY DURING CERTAIN BRAKING CONDITIONS.
    Consequence:
    THIS COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ABS ECU. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION F05
  • ja812ja812 Member Posts: 33
    Ron, what store did you find BGK 44k at? I'm in Michigan and the only places that have BG products are car dealers who only sell the services.
    Thanks
  • dad4dad4 Member Posts: 4
    Just a note, at least as applied to 1997 Dakota, the caliper bolt threads were British Fine (BSF). Had difficult time finding so ordered off web.

Replacement thread coil worked fine.
  • ranger21ranger21 Member Posts: 2
    A week after they replace the axles I notice a quarter size spot on my driveway. It seems that the tech managed to rip the head off one of the rear diff bolts. Well we all know when something isn't sealeed correctly. Nice work eh? Shaking is gone though.

Truck alignmnet was also not fixed first time. This time they over correct the problem and truck pulls left. Truck just feels out of balance. Tires have been rotated and balanced. Maybe it's the wheels and/or tires themselves.

Back to Ford?
  • vigiebigbucksvigiebigbucks Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 95 DODGE DAKOTA. I need some help replacing a broken passager window.... Can ANY ONE OUT THERE HELP..
  • timweidnertimweidner Member Posts: 3
    The COP system you describe above might explain why I can't FIND the plugs in my 2004 Dakota with the 4.7 V8! I bought some new platinum plugs today to dutifully replace the plugs at the prescribed 30K miles. I see what looks like the COP system attached to tubes that disappear into the manifold. If I remove that, will I find the spark plugs inside those tubes? Where's the spark plug wires? :(
    There are NO SPARKPLUG WIRES on the 4.7L. Each sparkplug has its own coil fitted directly on it....thus COP (Coil On Plug)

To replace the sparkplugs, follow this procedure for each plug. (you may have to remove intake plenum to access some plugs)

1)remove electrical connector and holddown screw
    2)gently pull the coil out of the hole.
    3)Remove old sparkplug
    4)USE ANTISEZE COMPOUND ON NEW PLUG THREADS (not too much!)
    5)Install new plug and torque to specification
    6)Apply LIGHT coating of silicone grease on rubber seals of coil. (one seal where coil fits over sparkplug insulator and the other is an o-ring where the coil seals to cylinder-head.)
    7)re-install coil, screw and connector.
    [REPEAT 8 times]

While you are under the hood.... make sure there are NO wires nor hoses lying on the valve-covers. The valve-covers of the 4.7L engine are MAGNESIUM to reduce the weght of the engine... but magnesum is kinda soft so vibration can can wear a hole right thru it. (This warning is right in the factory service manual)
    Thanks much for the great directions! :)

I have a service manual on order, but don't have it yet. You wouldn't happen to know the torque specs for the plugs, would you?

Thanks in advance for the info!
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    ja812 - Try this website and do a search for your area

http://www.bgprod.com/bgdistloc/distloc.php?country=USA

Ron35
    SparkPlug = 20 ft-Lbs
    Coil Mounting stud nut = 70 in-Lbs

The Factory service manual has a BOLD WARNING about using the correct type of copper-core sparkplugs. It goes on to warn about PRE-ignition if incorrect sparkplugs are used.

Also, The factory service manual suggests using compressed air to blow away any debris from around the coils BEFORE removing them to keep crud out of the sparkplug holes.
  • spanman98366spanman98366 Member Posts: 3
    I dropped my truck off to the dealer again, 7th time. The Pacific Northwest Dodge Technical Assistant is going to drive my truck and get the feel for him self. Of course this is just a test drive but now we are past the local shop. Now we are moving up the food chain with this vibration problem. Will find out tomorrow what his feelings are plans are to correct the problem.
  • bonkozbonkoz Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any updates to this problem, I'm in the same boat with the shakes returning
  • jguy950jguy950 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on a 2006 Dakota Quad Cab. Dealer has replaced 3 tires and problem still remains. Shakes around 62 mph. Seven trips to the dealer and no end site.
    Love the truck / hate the shake.
  • krusty2krusty2 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 QC 4x2 with the 4.7l engine and 3.55 LSD rear end. I replaced the diff oil 18 months and about 14000 miles ago with Amsoil synthetic gear lube. My oil change shop popped the rubber plug recently and told me that the fluid was dirty and needed to be replaced. I know they are eager to sell their services, but I did see his finger come out of there and the fluid was darker than I remember. Has anyone seen any issues like this? I expected the synthetic stuff to pretty much last the life of the vehicle. Do I really need to change again?

Thanks for any feedback.
    Wow, thanks again for more great advice. Sounds like "upgrading" to platinum plugs from the standard copper core plugs is the wrong thing to do!

Has anyone out there run 3318 Champion "Platinum Power" plugs in a 4.7L Dakota? One of the reasons why I'm a do-it-yourselfer is so I can step up to higher grade replacement parts when I am working on my vehicles, but if I am actually going to do harm in this case, I'll step back down to the cheaper copper core plugs.
    Many folks (including myself) am running the BOSCH +4 quad platinum plugs (#4418) in the 4.7L.

Do not forget that BOSCH invented the sparkplug and has ALWAYS used copper in their plugs. (While some other cheeper manufacturers claim that copper is some kind of "special" thing!) BOSCH sparkplugs also have nickel-plated threads and high-silicon insulators. (The cheep Champoin plugs may not even offer these)

Using a sparkplug with nickel-plated threads will reduce the chance of having them "seize" in an aluminum cylinder head. (YES!! I have had non-plated plugs do this!!..the sparkplug snapped off in the head when removal was attempted!!!!!)

Other plugs that might work (but I have not tried)
    BOSCH APP3923 (+2 double platinum)
    BOSCH AP3923 (single platinum)
    NGK BKR6EVX-11
    NGK ZFR5F-11
    NGK PZFR5F-11
    DENSO BKR6E1X (iridium)
    I also have 2000 Dak with 3.55 LSD rearend. I have been running RedLine in all the gearcases (front diff., rear diff., xfer case, power-steering and manual xmission)

Any good synthetic in the diff. should pretty much last the life of the vehicle. Anyone that uses the COLOR of a lubricant as a guage of its lubricity may not be the best person to listen to.

I have told this story here before... The pinion seal on my rear diff. leaked out virtually ALL of the Redline synthetic during an 8-hour trip with a load in the back of my Dak. Thanks to the supiriour residual lubricating qualities of the RedLine lube.... my rear diff. was NOT DAMAGED. After installing new seal, I re-filled with RedLine again and will never consider any other lubricant.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Any good synthetic in the diff. should pretty much last the life of the vehicle. Anyone that uses the COLOR of a lubricant as a guage of its lubricity may not be the best person to listen to.

Krusty2, I fully agree with bpeebles here. Apparently you also realize the guy was just trying to sell you additional services. If it were me I would be looking for another shop that I could trust to not try to fatten their hip pocket at my expense.
    The lubricant is darker than you remember as it is impossible to get all the old lubricant out when changing and the new lubricant is going to darken up from mixing with the old along with normal useage.
  • mnallmnall Member Posts: 8
    The dodge regional manager drove mine last Friday, and figured out the tires had 5 pounds to much pressure in them. He said this would fix the problem......it did make it better but its still vibrates, so problem NOT solved. They even tried to blame me for the pressure, and I told them........they have been only ones to touch the tires. So much for a 5 star dealership.....LOL
  • dave1961dave1961 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1993 dakota with a 3.9(2nd gen engine) I hear valve train clatter almost all the time .since creasting the 100,000 mile mark : (sort of like marbles tapping together ) it runs fine but I would like to know the cause ? .It has 186,000 miles on it would replacing the valve train stop the noise or a specific part maybe ? I changed the timming chain and gears(gen 2 engines don't have slack adjusters)at 141,000 miles no change in sound
    I run valvoline 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter with no additives.
    all suggestions will be greatly appreciated fellow dodge fans .....
    SInce you have an LSD, the normal wearing of the limited-slip clutches will cause the fluid to become darker than you would see in a non-LSD unit. It shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    have your catalytic converter checked to see if it is plugging up .I had it happen to me with my 93 dakota while driving on I-94 to annarbor,MI from flatrock,MI my converter heated up and chocked off the engine.waited a while and could drive again .My remidy due to age of the truck (drilled out the converter now it's an expansion chamber )also when the converter plugged it burned the end off of the oxygen sensor in the crossover just befor the converter ($85.00)part .also since doing that my dakota has a bit more power. I hope this helpes you or someone else .
    I have a 93 dakota and had the same thing occur change the ignition switch in your collumn take your cover off on the bottom side below your lock cylinder.the switch requires a star socket I believe it is a t-18 but it has to have a hole in the center of the socket to fit on the pin in the center of each screw.also check for melted wires (from the switch getting hot you may already have a short developed in system if so replace ignition harness in column )and chaffing of wires from rubbing loosly on metal surfaces causing shorts in system .
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Sunburn,

Sorry about the late response.

You could have a vapor leak on a vapor pressure line and probably not see a code.

Early '03s and down have two vapor lines that run along the left side of the vehicle body and upwards towards the engine left side in the proximity of the steering column. These are rubber hoses that utilize a black plastic coupling. These vapor lines develop cracks along their length the closer they get to the engine. The rubber hoses also split right at the couplers.

If you have a model with the Leak Detection Pump, there is a filter with one vapor line going to it. This filter is attached to the battery tray. Check this and the other lines going to the pump as well.

In mid-2003 Dodge replaced some of these lines with steel tubing.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty,

Thanks for the reply. After further investigation, it smells more like pre-converter exhaust. The smell seems to be coming out from the right front wheel well. I'm suspecting an exhaust leak on that side of the engine. There isn't any abnormal exhaust sounds, however. When I take the truck in to have the heater core replaced, I'll have it looked at.
  • dogladydoglady Member Posts: 21
    I had the same problem, bad vibration when breaking above 40mph that started around 8500 miles. I had the warranty work done for TSB 05-004-05 REV A and it seems to have fixed the problem. It still rides rough above 70mph though but otherwise OK. I also got safety recall E14 'transmission cup plug bracket' fixed. A rattle near the steering column was also fixed, service said something wasn't installed correctly. At least Dodge admits to problems most of the time. I had repeated problems with an 05 Honda, about 6 trips to repair in 7 months, I got rid of the Honda for the Dodge and so far like the Dodge better as far as quality. Keep us posted on the vibration issue/resolution.
  • 97_25l_dakota97_25l_dakota Member Posts: 5
    Well, I'm pretty sure it isn't the throwout bearing, the noise is unchanged whether or not the clutch is engaged.

However the whine has gotten worse. I really think it's the input bearing (in the transmission). The whine shows up past a certain RPM level in every gear (I don't have a tach, so I can't tell exact RPMs).

I have the 2.5L inline 4, and I have the 5 speed manual.
    I have about 82,000 miles on the truck. Have not replaced the clutch yet.
    Center bearing on rear axle? Not sure what this means.
    The truck is 2 wheel drive.
    It has a 10 bolt rear end (fluid is full).

I've heard these trannys are difficult if not possible to repair, and that mose rebuilt trannys are junk. With that said, would my best bet be to find a tranny in a junkyard and just swap if one of the bearings IS bad?

Any tips given would be greatly appreciated!

-Josh
    Acdcording to my Factory shop manual, The manual xmission on the 2.5L inline 4 (NV1500)is NOT the same manual xmission that is used behind all the other engines (NV3500).

Again, according to the book, the New Venture 1500 is a medium-duty xmission that is ONLY used on the 4cyl 2WD Dak.

Judging from the exploded diagrams of the internal-workings of the 2 xmissions, the NV1500 is much whimpier than the NV3500. The case is much smaller and the gears are miniscule.

It is not easy to answer your question. Obviously rebuiilding your existing xmission would take your truck off the road for a longer period of time than just popping in a used unit. Also, a used unit may be of questionable integrity. If you trust the rebuilder and can deal with your truck being off the road for awhile, rebuilding is often a better way to go. (most rebuilds also come with warantee)
    Thank you very much for the information.

I was talking with a guy a while back that works on (mainly older) Dodge transmissions, and I recall he did make a comment about how bad the transmissions are to repair.

I guess another mitigating factor I failed to leave out is that back at ~40,000 miles, my rear transmission seal went out (no big deal, just the seal where the driveshaft comes out), but I did drive it for several thousand miles with the seal out. I know it had fluid in it, just not to the level that it should have been.

I appreciate knowing the model number for the transmission, it will help me start looking for rebuilts, etc. I can afford having the truck off the road for a while, but only when the weather gets warmer (motorcycle!).

So you don't think it could be the clutch or pressure plate, etc?

Thanks,
    Josh
  • mullis1mullis1 Member Posts: 15
    I'm sure this has been asked several times in the past, but I'm a new owner of a Dodge Dakota and would like to know if anyone has suggestions on upgrading exhausts. Dual, single, mufflers, etc... I have read other places that dual exhaust can cause power and torque loss at low rpm's is this true? I have a 2004 Dakota 4 door, 4x4, 4.7L all I've done is added a K/N Filter. After adding the filter it seems that mileage has decreased slightly, has anyone experienced this? Thanks!
  • pdopdo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dakota w/ 5.2 engine and recently after an oil change and a PCV valve replaced at an oil change place, the next morning when I drove the truck for a few miles and then pulled into a parking lot. As I put it in reverse and then forward i noticed the transmission seems to slip a bit. When I started again and put it in gear, the check engine light came on and has stayed on since. I went to a parts store and they retrieve the error code as P0720.

Can anyone give me some idea on how to fix this P0720 code (Output speed sensor circuit malfunction). The truck seems to drive OK and the transmission fluid a bit on the low side.

Thanks in advance.
    The "oiled guaze" airfilters are mostly hype. They do "flow" better... but actually FILTER WORSE. For a street-driven automobile, more "flow" is not needed. (unless you spend a lot of time at WOT --Wide Open Throttle) Any quality paper air filter will filter better and be better for your engine over the long-haul. (because it keeps out the fine dust)

As for exhaust choices on the 4.7L engine. A SINGLE exhaust of not more than 2.5 inch diameter has been found to be best. Any larger diameter will lose the all-important exhaust VELOCITY. (larger = slower velocity) Dual-pipes will also lose velocity.

For me, I wanted an exhaust system that NEVER needed to be replaced. (Salt-covered winter roads will disenagrate most exhaust systems) I ended up with a BORLA cat-back system. It is 100% T-304 stainless steel. It sounds great OUTSIDE the truck but the thicker metal in the pipes keeps the droning sound out the cab.

After 6 winters, my BORLA exhaust still shines like the stainless-steel spoons in the kitchen ;-)
    Well, now I'm really confused.

I have a 1997 Dakota 2WD 2.5L Inline 4 5 speed Manual transmission with 82,000 miles that has a sound that continues to get worse.

I was darn sure it was the transmission as the noise wasn't present until the truck was moving down the road and shifting gears.

Now the sound has worsened, and is present when I rev the engine while the truck is parked with the transmission in neutral.

I've never replaced the water pump, nor the power steering pump. The sound really sounds like a bad bearing. I haven't noticed any antifreeze leaking from the weep hole, so I doubt it's the water pump....

I havent' really poked around the engine to try and find where the noise is coming from, but that will be my next step.

The truck has been cared for meticulously, so I'm kinda at a loss for what it could be.

Could it even be a bad alternator?

Baffled... but hopefully someone has been here and done it before.....

Thanks....
    I think I got it. Went by Aut0 z0ne and alas, I could not replicate the sound, but I did find out that I could take my serpentine belt off and run the engine for a short period with no harm to the engine. On the way home the thing was howling like a banshee, so I pulled off and put a brick on the gas pedal and poked around the engine compartment to see if I could isolate the noise. It seemed to be coming from the power steering pump. I then shut the engine off and took off the belt to see if the noise disappeared, and indeed it had. Diagnoisis: bad steering pump. I'm going to replace this weekend and hopefully put this issue to bed. Any tips for power steering pump replacement? Use new fluid? Redline synthetic? I'll take all the help I can....
    Since "normal" PS fluid is cheap and it takes about 20 minutes to repace it. I would suggest you put in "normal" fluid when you replace the pump.

Then... after several thousand miles, REPLACE IT AGAIN. This will help dilute the old fluid and remove any metal-shavings which the old pump may have left behind. (It is nearly impossible to remove all the old fluid when it is changed)

Personallty, I run REDLINE synthetic PS fluid. I have the 4.7L engine which has a different PS system than yours. (Rack-n-pinion steering) On cold mornings, my Dak WOULD NOT STEER for about 3 minutes. I tried replacing with "normal" fluid several times but had the same problem. After putting in the REDLINE... that problem was gone.
  • gmilitogmilito Member Posts: 2
    HI does anybody have any info about failing oil pumps on the Dakota? I have a 2003 4.7 and it appears that the oil pump has failed
  • mullis1mullis1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the info. Should I not use the K/N Filter? I still have the old paper filter that came in the truck.
    I've never heard of an oil pump failing on a 4.7L. Oil pump failures in any engine are very rare and usually occur at very high mileage. Have you always used the correct oil viscosity? What symptoms are you having?
This discussion has been closed.