Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rico01rico01 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 4x4 Quad cab Dakota, I started having a buzzing noise on the back of may truck, according to the dodge dealer tech. it was the differential bearings, we changed them and the noise is gone. Do you guys think I will keep having the same kind of problems?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I would not run an "oiled guaze" air filter on any vehicle I expect to last a long time. Over time, the reduced filtering can allow enough fine dirt into the engine which may increase engine wear.

Also, it has been shown that some of the oil gets sucked off of the filter and into the intake plenum. This can crud-up the idle-circuit and DESTROY a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. (Fortunately, Dak does not use MAF)
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Assuming the repair was done correctly and the proper maintenance is done there is no reason to think the problem will happen again.
  • mullis1mullis1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the good advice!
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    My QC has recently developed an annoying rattle in the roof near the rear interior light. Does anyone know what you have to do to remove the headliner? I suspect you have to remove the pillar trim, then pry around the edges of the headliner, but I thought I would ask before I messed something up. Thanks.
  • dakotafandakotafan Member Posts: 3
    Have a vibration in 06 SLT Club Cab. It's felt in seat and especially center arm rest at highway speeds. Dealer has changed drive shaft, new wheels/tires, force balanced and now out of ideas. Anyone else? Know a fix?
    Those of you affected should have received or will receive your notification in the next few days.

SAFETY RECALL F08 REPROGRAM CCN CONTROL MODULE

Problem: An electrostatic discharge on your vehicle may cause the headlamps,turn signals, wiper motor and/or other electrical components to become inoperative.

Solution: Dealer will reprogram the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) control module.
  • twotrackertwotracker Member Posts: 1
    Im getting coolant on my windshield and hardly have heat. No leaks so far or smell, but it should'nt be long. Where is it and is it going to be a nightmare? I'm hoping it's behind the glovebox. Can anybody help me out?
    Scott
    Scott,

According to manuals for a Gen III Dakota, it's about a 6-7 hr job and requires disassembling most of the dash and evacuating the AC system. The heater core on my 02 is starting to smell. I've found someone to do it for about $600, including the $200 part. Hopefully, I can get it done before the end of the month.
  • amyw1amyw1 Member Posts: 1
    New to this board and trying to find the right way to post.
    I have a 98 Dakota q-cab 5.2, V8

When I start it, it grinds (grinds, not clicks like low battery) for a few, then it starts when you first start it of the day. After that it start like a champ and runs great, but if I let it sit for a while then it does it again. It's only first starts after sitting.

I have had the fuel pump checked and it was ok, I have had new plugs, cap and rotor and alternator done. The battery and connections are ok.

I'm running out of money trying to find out what is wrong. Anyone have an idea? Any help please. :cry:
    I would check the fuel pressure regulator for leakdown.
  • mnallmnall Member Posts: 8
    Mine still sucks...........a 2 hour ride seems like 10.
    I hate this truck with a passion now, and cant wait to get rid of it.
    Chrysler Rep is in town tomorrow and will drive the truck himself. We'll see what happens. Turns out they have another '06 on the lot that has the same problem. If I get a fix, of course, I'll post it.
    A Dodge Rep has already drove mine. He said I had to much air pressure in the tires (I havent touched the tires).
    There was 40 pounds and they dropped it down to 35, and it may have help 1%. I have a appointment for a different dealer to look at it next week. 2 more visits with out a fix.........LEMON LAW HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What brand of tires are on the truck? I have Good Year. Not so sure it isn't the tires. Had this kind of problem before on a Camry with Good Year. They replaced them with Michelen and the problem went away. But I'm not gonna suggest it. Then it's on my neck. Let them figure it out.

My tires call for 44 max and am running 33.
  • dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    Figures, One more payment to go on my 2001 quad and the A/C quits. Noticed compressor not locked/on. Put in 13oz of r134a and system up and running. Put in another 13oz and system ran at 50 degrees F with thermocouple inserted in the ductwork. Next day, No A/C again. Time for the dealer as was told my warranty-direct warranty does cover this repair.

Just wondering if other folks had their A/C stop working after or around 5 yrs old. I live in NJ and dont run the a/c all the time, and realize it kicks in when I run in defrost mode. Guess I didn't notice when it stopped working till the other day when it was about 70 outside and I was wearing a suit and the A/C didnt work when I needed it most. :(
  • airborne82airborne82 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. I noticed mine about 3 weeks after I purchased my Dak (Aug 05) and have had it back to the dealer 8 or 9 times without the issue being resolved. There is an enhanced TSB out but, it only pertains 8.25 inch rear axles. I have 9.25. I have been browsing several other forums looking for suggestions and the general consensus is that the TSB does not fix the problem. Some however have reported that it does. I have had all 4 tires replaced and one of the rims that was supposedly bad. I have also had new rear brake shoes put on and the shimmy is still there. I think by know with all of the complaints, Dodge is very much aware of the problem and they aren't going that extra mile to take care of us 1 Star customers!!! I believe that right now, we are just guinea pigs for this shimmying truck. At least (I bet) the 2007 models won't have this problem and for those of us who decide to keep the truck, we'll still be doing the shimmy shake down the road!

Signed,
    Disgusted with my Dakota!!!!

p.s. Does anyone else with the 9.25 rear axle have the problem?
  • mkelley1mkelley1 Member Posts: 6
    Can any one help?
    My 05 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 engine starting knocking around 3,000 miles chrysler refuses to fix it. I have been told by independent mecahnics it is a lower engine knock possibly a rod. I have had terrible vibration- they refused to fix it - finally they replaced the axles. Still have vibration. Independent mecahnic said my tires are proably out of round. Chrysler refuses to help. Now my heater starting rattling and even not working with anti-freeze smell. It didn't work for two days but started working again. They refuse to say there is a problem. Also my RPM's go up and down almost like I lose power than it kicks in. They also say this normal. I have had it with this truck can anyone give advice on getting help and diagnosis.
  • airborne82airborne82 Member Posts: 3
    I am strongly considering a class action lawsuit for my Dak. However, I can't do it alone. Strength comes in numbers! If anyone else is interested in getting to the bottom of this shaking Dak, drop me a PM.

p.s. My latest dilema is: Every time I send an e-mail to customer support, the return e-mail states that my problem has been resolved and no further action is required! BS!!!!!!!! The dealership has also been doing there best at evading me! BS!!!!!!!!!
  • jwctrainjwctrain Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a used 03 quad with 4.7 5 speed auto LSD. At 16K I had the dealer service the diff's according to the manual. They found the rear diff bad and replaced it. Now with 44K I have started having noises like gear clicking and shutters when I start off from stops, forward or reverse. Of course when I took it to the dealer the problem could not be duplicated. Anyone else have similar problem?
    I would first check the universal joints. The symptoms you give are also those of a bad joint. A bit unusual to go out at 44K but does happen.
  • rumrunner3rumrunner3 Member Posts: 2
    I have had brake vibration and pulling since almost day one. Has been in the shop 7 times for the brakes. rotors replaced, calipers replaced, pads replaced twice, rotors turned twice, rear drums replaced twice, rear brake shoes replaced once, and both rear axle shafts replaced. Now the brake pedal can be mashed all the way to the floor. Will get a lawyer and try for a buy back. I wonder if I'll have much luck?
  • mdonovanmdonovan Member Posts: 1
    I've been having an oil pressure issue for a long time now. The Truck has 78500 miles on it and i loose oil pressure on and off. I had the sending unit changed twice now also had several oil changes done. We now have a manual gauge connected and it will run fine for awhile then it drops to zero pressure. No engine noise, just had another garage look at it. They drained the oil and looked inside the pan to check the screen on the pump.. Nothing clogging it, scraped the inside of the pan and didn't get much of anything as far as sludge or anything.... but he couldn't get it to drop to zero pressure... HELP!?! Any suggestions before i go insane?
  • rumrunner3rumrunner3 Member Posts: 2
    My oil light came on once on my 2005 4.7L v8. I shut down the engine and checked the oil. O.K. Cranked back up and it went out. (at 8000 miles) Told the service manager about it. He shrugged. This is the worst truck I've ever owned. At the dealer now for the tenth time. Have notified Dodge that I will try for a buy back. They shrugged. I am now in contact with two attorney's, and today I will contact the Attorney Generals office. I'll never buy another Dodge. My '98 ram 1500 was a good truck, but this dakota is junk.
    Good Years on this truck as well. Im still at 35 but think Im going to keep dropping till I get to 30 and see what happens.
  • wbmulberrywbmulberry Member Posts: 1
    vibration--vibration---i know what you mean.I'VE GOT A 05
    I BOUGHT FROM PLANTCITY MOTORS INC.IN PLATCITY FLORIDA.AFTER 4 TRIP'S TO THE DEALER I GOT THE TRUCK FROM HE TOLD MY WIFE THE TRUCK JUST DRIVE;S THAT WAY AND HE COULD DO NOTHING FOR US AND TO PLEASE ( TAKE HIM OUT OF THE PICTURE )I SHOULD CONTACT DODGE IF I DIDN'T LIKE IT.SOOO CONTACT DODGE I DID---NOW AFTER ANOTHER 2 TRIP'S FOR VIBRATION REPAIR'S---I STILL HAD THE VIBRATION.THUS BRINGS ME TO THE LEMON LAW--WHICH I FILED.NOW I AM IN A SIT AND WAIT TO FIND OUT JUST HOW I'LL BE SCREWED NEXT KINDA TIME ZONE.MY PROBLEM STARTED AT LESS THAN 1400 MILE'S WHEN I WENT IN FOR THE FIRST REPAIR.I NOW HAVE 17000 VIBRATING FREAKIN MILE'S UNDER MY VIBRATED BUTT THAT DODGE SAID I WOULD BE CHARGED FOR.AT LEAST THE LAST DEALER DODGE HAD ME TAKE THIS PIECE OF TOTAL JUNK TO WAS UP FRONT AND SAID HEY MAN I AM SORRY TO TELL YOU BUT YOUR TRUCK JUST CAN'T BE FIXED.HE ALSO TOLD ME THEY CHANGED OUT SOME BRAKE PART'S ON SOME AND SOME TIRE'S ON OTHER'S AND SEEMED TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM.BUT MINE WAS ONE OF THE ONE'S THEY HAD RAN INTO ALONG WITH A FEW OTHERS THAT JUST COULD NOT BE REPAIRED.DODGE KNOW'S THIS AND NOW TELL'S ME THAT I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE MILEAGE I PUT ON THE TRUCK ALONG WITH THE HIGHER PRICE DIFFERENCE IN THE 06 MODEL'S BECAUSE THEY SOLD ME A TRUCK THAT COULD NOT BE REPAIRED.SOME WHERE THEY THINK I AM TO BE HAPPY PAYING OUT OVER $20000.00 VERY HARD TO EARN DOLLARS FOR A TRUCK THAT RIDES LIKE A FREAKIN BROKE DOWN HORSE SHAKING LIKE ITS CRAPPIN A LOG CHAIN.BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY DODGE COULD CARE LESS IF WE HAVE A VIBRATION PROBLEM--THEY HAVE ALREADY GOT OUR MONEY--SOOOOOO WHO CARE'S.OH WELL THANKS FOR THE TIME MY NEXT TRIP WILL BE THE LAWER---JUST THINK MY CORP.OFFICE HAS 3 FREAKIN FLOORS FULL OF THEM WITH NOT A DAMN THING TO DO RIGHT.KEEP YA POSTED ON RESULTS---TILL THEN THERE IS ALOT TO BE SAID ABOUT FORD/CHEVY/TOYOTA((((ANYTHING BUT DODGE)))))

YOURS TRULY
    VIBRATED TA HELL
    AND BACK
  • bludragonbludragon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport - 3.9Ltr. - V6 - Reg. Cab - Automatic. It doesn't matter if the truck is warmed up or not, it just doesn't like to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. To get it to shift while I'm trying to accelerate I have to completely let up off the gas for about 2 full seconds for it to shift down to 3rd gear. All the other gears shift nice-n-smooth like a new truck, but this one gear is just giving me a hard time. Anyone know what's going on here? The funny thing is, it only does this maybe 50% of the time. :confuse:
  • jsoulesjsoules Member Posts: 1
    I have a 6cyl 2000 Dakota sport with 4wd, I've had it for three years and it's been a love hate relationship with repairs. Now I've got a squeek in the drive shaft that is driving me crazy!!! The faster you go the more it squeeks the louder it gets. I've gone to three mechanics who have all told me that this is 'normal' for Dodge and that even if I do have the drive shaft replaced the noise might come back. HELP!!!
    "I've gone to three mechanics who have all told me that this is 'normal' for Dodge"

No, You haven't been to 3 "mechanics" if they told you this is normal. It isn't normal for Dodge nor any other make.
    Find a mechanic that knows what they are doing........
  • mkelley1mkelley1 Member Posts: 6
    I have also hired a lawyer to start a lemon law proceeding for the vibration and engine problems. Hopefully, Chrysler will begin to wake up and settle these issues.
    Repaired by local dealership. See post 4115. Truck now 5 yrs old. Evaporator (in-cab-$220), R134A($59.50), labor($622.05) and tax, total $956.
    3rd party warranty covered 100%. Glad to have truck back.
    Just can't believe only 5 yrs old and ball joints replaced (recall), blower resistor blown, rear rebuilt, and now a/c problems. Planned Obsolescence? Cheap parts?? , Not normal wear??..or Just my luck.. Starting to worry...but happy Warranty paid > $2000 beans now for repairs.. which I believe were premature failures..
    73000 miles...
    Ger
    What can I do to help? Dodge needs to be held responsible for these dakotas!!!!!!!
    The valve cover gaskets on my 02 4.7L are showing signs leakage after only 64K miles. This seems a bit premature. They're not cheap either, about $52 at Autozone. Anyone else's 4.7L showing similar signs?
  • jwctrainjwctrain Member Posts: 4
    Well I recreated the problem yesterday. I left work and drove the interstate for about fifteen miles. At the end of the ramp is a light. At start up I noticed a shudder and noise. I drove another half mile to shop. When I went to leave here are the symptoms. It is a popping sound and feel. Like driving on dry pavement in four wheel drive turning. Does not matter if transmission is in gear or not. You hear and feel the diff binding. I was on a slight incline so I could roll the truck back and forth left right and straight. The slower you go the easier it is to hear. Left or right no difference. But it does not happen all the time. It seems worst after the interstate driving, like a heat build up. Nothing wrong with the u-joints. The dealer is the only one to service and they should have added the diff additive every time at 24k and 36k. :confuse:
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Just a guess, but based on the year you may find that the evaporator has a leak. You could have a leak somewhere in the system.
    Regards,
    Dusty
    Since the introduction of the 4.7 I know of only one failure. That was on an engine that had just over 500 miles. It appears that there were a very small quantity of bad pumps in the first year of production (1999). Since then, I've heard no reports.

I would suspect that the pump failure is really a clogged pick up tube from sludge.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Your symptoms sound like expended friction modifier. You can add 4 ounces if you like, but I would highly recommenr changing the rear differential lubricant and adding the friction modifier.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Although it may not matter -- the valvecovers on the 4.7L are MAGNESIUM. (unlike most other engines) The factory service manual have several warnings about the magnesium valvecovers. The most important one it to make SURE that no wires nor hoses are touching them. Magnesium may be lightweight... but the vibration of a wire harness lying on it will wear a hole right thru it.

To more specifically answer your question, in over 6 years of following the 4.7L engine since its introduction in the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I have never heard of a problem with valvecover seal leakage. Perhaps yours is just a rare occourance.

I wonder what kind of oil you are running and if you ever used some kind of oil-additive that may have affected the valvecover seals?
    I've been running either 5W-30 Valvoline (summer) or 5W-30 Mobil-1 (winter). I've never used any sort of additives. I've checked the valve cover bolts and everything seems tight. However, the rear half of the valve covers and cylinder heads are a bit oily. Usually, you'll get 75-100K miles out of a set of modern rubber valve cover gaskets.
    Dustyk, Yes the dealership replaced the evaporator coil as the whole dash had to be taken apart. No other leaks were found as I was told. Thank goodness for the warranty I had ! Ger
  • amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    Jsoules,
    When my Dak had 7000 miles on it, I too had a sqeaking noise from underneath. I put the truck up in the air with the 4 wheel drive engaged and found it to be the u-joints on the forward driveshaft. I brought it to Wayne Dodge and the #@$&* mechanics there couldn't figure it out. I had to show them what it was. The moron admitted that's what it was and they replaced it. Check yours to see if that's the noise.
    Bill
  • dsweetdsweet Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone assist me in thr repair for engine light 0442 on a 01 dodge dakota, quad cab, v8 4.7? Has anyone else had this problem? :confuse:
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    Did you search the internet for code P0442?
    Is your gas cap loose or did you forget to put it back since last fill-up?
    P0442 leads to evaporation leak. (i.e.) gas cap loose,etc.

I didn't put the gas cap on after one fill-up. Check engine light came on, put gas cap on and after several days the light went out.
    Finally replaced the PVC valve on my 4.7. Seems to have stopped the cold morning hesitations? Now that's a tricky little bugger to change, once ya find it!
  • dsweetdsweet Member Posts: 15
    I checked and rechecked the gas cap and after over a week it's still on. I guess it's not too serious then so I can wait until after the snow and cold weather, Thanks
  • crazyclydecrazyclyde Member Posts: 4
    My Dakota, with 104,000 miles on it won't shift from 4x4 to
    2x4 without my having to stop, kill the engine and wait
    awhile. What's wrong? Anyone know? Someone said it might
    be the actuator switch on the front differential. Someone
    else said the entire acturator motor (and switch) has to be
    replaced. Anyone know for sure?
  • rich28rich28 Member Posts: 23
    I'm having the same exact engine surging problem with my 2001 5.9L Dakota QC, and it's VERY sporadic. What's worse is every time that I bring it to the shop, it doesn't act up. This weekend it did it for three hours through the hills in PA, and today, not at all.

Has anyone found the real solution to fixing this problem...I've seen everything from "Replacing the anti-lock brake controller" to "flashing the PCM". I called a dealer today and they didn't have a clue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Sounds like the Throttle Position Sensor? Quick easy change for a $40.00 part.
  • rich28rich28 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for your reply! Did you have the same problem and that fixed it?

Also, I can replace some parts on my truck, but I'm not a mechanic - is this something that I can do and how do I go about it doing it?
    My 02 QC will be in the shop next week to get the heater core replaced. I figured while the cooling system was drained I would have them replace the coolant (only good for 5 yrs anyway), but was debating whether to replace the radiator hoses or not. While everything is drained, it's a pretty easy thing to do. With the 5 yr coolant, I don't think I would wait for the 10 yr point to change hoses anbd waiting a couple of years probably isn't worth the hassle of draining everything. Maybe it's better to spend the $75 and not worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.