Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    As you have been told, nothing is ever 100 perfect, and the QC is no exception. Some have has brake problems (minor to severe) tranny concerns etc.. But here is MY QC experience:

2000 SLT+ 4.7 Auto(2WD) T&H package, towing package. Just at 59,300 miles now (I commute mostly highway so I see around 19 MPG) bookittys intake mod, A/C mod. more to come.

I had some issues the first year or so: idle (TSB-fixed); Aux AC fan fuse went and BBQd my fuse box (warranty - fixed) Crankshaft position sensor fail (fixed same day)

I did the following - new rotors and pads (ceramic). Just a hint of warpage but replaced based on quality concerns. did it myself so not bad $$. Tune up to Bosch Platinum 4, Synthetic in the pumpkin, and have had synthetic in the 4.7 (Mobile 1) since first change. Replaced OEM headlight bulbs to PIAA 9007, replaced useless plastic driving lights with PILOT lights and PIAA H3 bulb.. WOW what a difference. Added PILOT fogs for the southern foggy mornings.

As of today, still smooth, responsive, a pleasure to drive. TIRES? still dont need them. the wear is PERFECT and have enough left to wait till spring if I chose, then see about a more aggressive /bigger tire. see my link below for pix and one has a tire in it.. you can see the tread wear.. tell me thats not the sign of a good alignment. the QC has stayed true. ( i do my OWN rotations)

OK long post but I was in the mood to make positive comments about my DODDGE QC..

Good Luck

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-ahasher

• spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I agree with bookitty. People don't put as much energy into their e-mail posts if everything is going great. You do hear about the bad more than the good. That's life.

My bad experience so far was that a heating element in the driver's side mirror went dead. It was covered under warranty. I also had the engine computer chip reprogrammed under warranty that fixed the staling problem. And yes the front brake rotors warp and need replaced with a non-mopar product. Other than that the Dak keeps going. I have a '00 4.7L, 5sp, 4x4, LSD 3.55 rear, T/H package (31x10.5-15 tires) and have added Catz foglights and a daytime running light module (low beams on when engine running). If I keep my foot out of it, I can get 20 mpg on a trip. In the near future, I'll change the spark plugs and the oil in the transmission, front and rear-ends. At 36,000 or May 2003, the factory warranty ends and I'm not afraid. This truck has been a joy to own and drive all of its 32,000+ miles.
  • surffla1surffla1 Member Posts: 52
    You confirmed my suspicions. Just wanted to hear it from another trusted Dakota owner.

Although a win would have been even better, kudos to the Hawkeyes for giving the Seminoles a scare. Go Gators!
  • rbp944rbp944 Member Posts: 4
    I did not intend/mean to sound paranoid or negative all of you have confirmed what I had already hoped/expected to discover. Nothings a sure bet I understand this reality,an element of risk is involved. It was great to hear Plenty of people own and are enjoying these trucks. again thanks for your time and input
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I have 54K on my 2000 QC and it has never been back to the dealership. I have the 4.7 5spd 3.55LSD with tow package. I am very happy with my truck!!!
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Russ, look to the left sidebar and you will see a "helpful link." Click on it for the 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab road test.

Bookitty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Labor Day weekend I made a highspeed run from Omaha, Nebraska to Toledo Ohio to pick up a Kawasaki KLR650 I bought on Ebay. 1,447 miles on $115 worth of gas. My 2k Quad performed flawlessly. Averaged about 19.1MPG (actual) going out and about 18.7 return (with a 400 lb motorcycle in the back). Average speed was 70+. I can't tell you how much I LOVE this truck.... 19K+ miles and the dealer still hasn't seen it since they sold it to me! Rick
    Rick, good luck with your new (to you) bike. Enjoy and be safe.

Bookitty
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    iowabigguy - I've taken up hauling my old '81 BMW (1,000 cc cruiser) in the back of the Quad. At a little over 500 lbs. its a handful getting it in and out. Of course the back tire rides on the tailgate. Hasn't fallen over yet - using 5 individual straps to do the job. I only drove 400+ miles each way (Harrisburg, PA to Toledo, OH) for the purchase.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I also haul my bike in the back of my QC on a weekly basis. It's a 1998 Trek 6500. I find it very easy to move it in and out of the back of my truck. It should be, the bike only weighs 34 lbs. I have built a simple light weight rack that holds the forks down. With the Century cap on the truck, the bike is very protected and very convenient for those weekly rides.
  • tegwjtegwj Member Posts: 51
    I use a pair of Yakima front fork clamps bolted to the top cover of my Roll n Lock sliding tonneau. There's enough width for a third but so far I've never gone out with two biking friends at once. The one drawback is that the bikes are easy to liberate so I can't park the truck anywhere without all kinds of crazy chain and whatnot to deter the casual thieves.

twj
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Russ, I don't get here as often as I used to, but reading yours and other posts, thought I would respond as I have had 2 QC's so far. 1st one was a 2000 4x4 4.7 auto,lsd, red. Problems were two. Had whine in rear end right off the lot. I ran it for 10k miles then dealer replaced complete rear end, and thought it might have been damaged it shipping. Only other problem was transfer case sprung a leak. Replaced gasket. Rotors finally warped on a 3000 mile trip at 20k on the odometer. That was all. I traded it for a 2002 QC full time 4x4 4.7 auto, Almond/silver 2 tone, the deal, incentives, and 7/100k warranty were too good to pass up, has more goodies than the 00 did. I have 5k on it now with no problems to date. I think they are a great truck. Most have good luck, a few don't. Good luck with yours, they are a hoot to drive. Nick
  • decentman4youdecentman4you Member Posts: 27
    Brakes they work, but am engaging the antilock to much! what could be the answer to getting the pedal pressure (my foot) down? other than stopping earlier?

2001 qc 4x4 4.7 auto limited-slip AWD 15,600 miles

2. Whats a good Brand of; Rotors an pads, to replace with as I still have the oem stuff for brakes on my qc?

3. is this the light & bulb http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2be.htm

that you #4252 ahasher replaced the fog lights with? How much of a Difference are they compared to the oem lights?

Thanks

James, in Houston Texas

• czar61czar61 Member Posts: 6
    I came upon a deal too good to pass up on a set of Michelin's, OEM Goodyears 255/65 R16's had 49K on them and were just about gone. Question is the Mich's are 255/70 R16's. About an inch more diameter and speedo will read 60 when really doing @62 according to my calculations. No big deal but dealer's ( I've tried 2 so far) can't tell me if that size is in the computer and can be updated. One dealer said he could find out but a PCM flash was $80 bucks. Mighty pricey in my view. Anyone out there got any info on this. I have to say Michelin LTX M/S make a HUGE difference in ride/handling compared to the worn out Goodyears. 2001 2WD SLT thanks --- Czar
    Patrick, I don't know if this will help, but it is a tire/wheel table. http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Bookitty

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (czar61) Your big concern should not be the speedo error. It is the wheelspeed sensor in the rear axle that feeds the onboard computer that may become confused. This sensor is used for ALL vehicle roadspeed calculations including speedo, ABS and tranny shift points. (if you have the 45RFE tranny)

Either use the proper diameter tires or pay the $80 for a flash to your Dak computer. It is not worth compromising your safety to save a few dollars on some tires. (which may not be such a good deal after you pay the $80 to re-calibrate the ECU)

It is good to hear your report on the Michelins providing better ride&handing. I expect to be replacing my original tires after one more winter. I will not be getting the "LT" rated tires since I do not need the stiffer sidewall. (I do not haul anyting in my truck.)
    This will give me a better ride.
  • jhorljhorl Member Posts: 89
    I also will be switching to michelins when the time comes.
    Bpeebles/Bookitty et al. -- Thanks for the info. You are on target with the reason I want to get the flash, I don't disagree. My problem is that I have not found a dealer who can tell me if the 255/70 R 16 size is one that is even the computer as an optional tire size. I have some more calls to different dealers to make yet - but I just wanted to see if any of you wise sages had plowed the ground ahead of me. OBW the Michelin LTX M/S are awesome. I got the set for $200 mounted and balanced - and no they weren't warm to the touch :) -- so even if I do wind up paying $80 for a flash ( still outragious in my view) I still got a bargain. Keep it between the ditches. Czar
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    Try shopping around for the flash. When I jumped from 31" to 32" tires, I only paid $32.
    Thanks- Found a local dealer who will flash it for $26.50 (Half hour labor rate).
    Thinks the closest tire size in the system will be 265/65R16 which will make the
    difference only about 1.64% according to the calculator Bookitty posted. Much better than the current delta. Will let you know if it turns out any different. Thanks again. Czar
  • mrjakemrjake Member Posts: 27
    Curious where you got your flash done. The local dealers I have talked to have told me they can't flash my computer to 32's since that size isn't a factory option. I would love to get my overhead mileage back on track instead of just having a fancy overhead thermometer. Love the looks of the 32" mud-terrains, but would like to have all the calcs and speedometer back to accurate.
    It is a wonder some of these Bozos manage to stay in business. According to my shop manual for my 2k Quad what is required to flash into the prom on a tire change is NOT the tire size but rather the number of rotations per mile your particular tire makes. This means you could make your Dak look like a LA Lowrider or BigFoot as long as you knew the revolutions per mile. I'm sure there are probably some high and low limits that would keep you from going to that extreme. As an aside the factory programming for the stock tires leaves something to be desired. I did a fast 1,400+ mile trip Labor Day weekend and used a GPS for routing. During the trip my GPS would show me going 62.5 MPH when I held the speedometer at 60 MPH. Looks like the difference you are worried about with your 32" tires. My Quad is a 2wd 3:55 rear and the optional 255-55-15. Rick

PS to Bookitty, dropped the bike and broke my leg! I'm getting too old for this enforced bed rest.
    Rick, sorry to hear that you dropped your bike and worse yet, broke a leg. I rode actively from 1951 (age 18) to 1990. At that time, a herniated disc caused me to stop riding. I still miss my bike and plan to look at getting a scooter when we complete the house in FL. I owned a Vespa which I transported in the bomb bay of my B-47 bomber. In fact, that's how I brought home several bikes purchased in the UK. I belonged to the Golden Eagle Motorcycle Club in Tampa, FL. I was stationed at McGill AFB. The President of the club owned a motorcycle dealership and was able to license and title the bikes. In exchange, I brought back bikes and parts for him on my frequent trips to the UK. Regulations were a bit more slack at that time. I will look for a scooter that is at least 80CC's so that I can maintain local highway speed. There are already enough seniors holding up traffic in FL. They are members in good standing of the Funeral Procession Club and drive the "Pace Cars." Get well soon.

Norm (Bookitty)
    This is the first time I regretted getting a 5 speed in my Quad. The doctor assures me it will be at least 8 weeks before I can consider operating a clutch. Every vehicle we have is a manual. Funny you should mention hauling motorcycles in the bomb bay of a B47. I can recall 2 Honda S600 sport cars on pallets being loaded into the bomb bay of a B52 being rotated back to Michigan. This was in Guam during operation Arclight when we were carpet bombing VietNam. I'm sure funny stuff is still going on, wonder what will be smuggled out of Saudi?? Thanks for the well wishing. Rick
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Ouch! Hope you mend quickly.
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    First posting to this board, although I've posted on the accessory board, which prompted my purchase of two sets of mopar door sills and mopar front and rear floor mats.

The vehicle is a black w/dark slat 4x4 quad cab sport plus with the 4.7L auto and 3.55 rear. It has every option except for the front bucket seats. Picked it up last Thursday from my brother-in-law, who is a dodge dealer, for $600 under invoice (it was his demo) and 0.0%.

I couldn't be happier with this vehicle. I traded in a Blazer ZR2, which I beat on extensively off-road and I'm sure the Dakota is more than equipped to take on the task.

It has 6k on it, and I'm still thinking of what to name it.

Couple of questions for everyone. First, while giving it a bath, I noticed that my bed does not line up with the cab. It shifted to the passengers side. How easy is this to fix? Second, and I know this answer is somewhere on this board but 4000+ postings is a lot to read through.... anyway, the question.... on slow sharp right turns the clicking is present. What, if any, was the fix to this? No rear axle whine.
    If the misalignment bothers you enough to have the dealer straighten out the box keep one thing in mind. The bolts used to secure the box to the frame are one time use, they have a special coating and should not be re used. This is in the shop manual for the Dakota. I recall some previous posts where the bolts were re used and then proceeded to vibrate loose over time. Good luck with your new Quad. Rick
  • captcrunchcaptcrunch Member Posts: 11
    I want IBG to be right about reprogramming the PCM for nonstock tire sizes; I just put P265/70R15 Michelin CrossTerrains on my 2KQC4X2. Problem is, I can't find where that procedure is shown in the BOB. I want to get the speedo dead-on since (1) I am too lazy to be multiplying indicated by 105.5% to get actual and (2) it's probably a good idea for the other set of brains in the truck (the digital ones) to work with acurate inputs. Thanks for any help from any source. BTW, where has everybody been for the last month?
    Per the BOB - the Controller Antilock Brakes (CAB) in group 5 for both rear wheel and 4 wheel antilock brakes requires programming of the CAB if it is replaced. It requires the axle type (group 3) and the tire revolutions per mile (group 22) be programmed. This is outlined in the Chassis Diagnostic Manual (sorry, I don't have this one). One can infer then if you change tire size this CAB must be reprogrammed with the revolutions per mile matching the new tire size.

BOB group 3 - axle type ?? no chart

BOB group 22 page 6
    tire size/supplier/revolutions per mile
    P215/75R15/Goodyear/760
    P235/75R15 XL/Goodyear/729
    P255/65R15/Goodyear/755
    P255/55R17/Goodyear/750
    31X10.5R15 LT/Goodyear/689

Also for your info per BOB group 8H - 3

The Vehicle Speed Sensor is no longer used for any Dodge Truck.
    Vehicle speed and distance covered are measured by the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. This sensor is mounted to the rear axle. A signal is sent from this sensor to the CAB computer. A signal is then sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to determine vehicle speed and distance covered.

So reprogram the CAB and you take care of antilock brakes and speedometer.
    Hope this helped! Rick
  • jebsdaddyjebsdaddy Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L/5spd/3.92

Does anyone have any experience using one of the performance chips like the ones that Jet sells.

Does it really make much difference in performance?

What brands other than Jet are applicable?

Down side?

Thanks in advance, Robert
  • kingquad1kingquad1 Member Posts: 37
    JUST HOW BIG OF A TIRE WILL FIT IN A 4X4 DAKOTA WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS? I THINK GOING TO A 32-11.5-15 WOULD LOOK GOOD AND I NEED TIRES FOR THE WINTER.
    Chris, perhaps this site will be of some help.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Bookitty

• kingquad1kingquad1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks...went to the site, tho it didn't cover the 31-10.50-15 tires that come with the handling package on my truck. I was curious on what size tire would work comfortable in the wheel well jounce and turning. Anyone out there using the 32 inch tall tires have any answers.
    Thanks.
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    Hi Guys,
    My green,00,4.7,5 spd. has reached 50k and I remain pleased with it's overall performance. I took it in for service and replaced the plugs with the ones that came with it and had the radiator flushed and new coolant added.Brake inspection showed a lot of life left in the pads and shoes! Go figure...considering all we read here about brakes,though I do admit to a lot of coasting stops and down shifting.
    I did hit a post the other day and marred the left front quater panel.it sucks..but it was my stupid mistake.
    I was walking the dealer's lot and did not see a lot of diference in the 03 quad cabs.I think we bought Quad cabs cuz we are differnt!!!
    stephen
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    I recently installed a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (#17748) on my 02 QC, 4x4, 4.7, auto. It is much better sounding than the original muffler. It has a nice rumble when you first start up. At idle, it is only slightly louder than stock. It is most noticable between 1000-2000 RPM at part throttle. At 70 MPH you hardly know it's there. The actual performance increases seem small, but my "butt dyno" isn't well calibrated. Most of the gain seems to be above 3000 RPM. There was no loss on the low end. My mileage seems to be up between 0.2-0.8 MPG. If you want a muffler that sounds and performs better than the stock, but don't want any annoying droaning while cruising, the Super Turbo fits the bill.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Hi everyone,
    Hope your holidy was nice. You too boo!

Just took the truck through it's first motor vcehicle inspection, passed with no problem.

Figures, when I go to inspection, and get to the first in line, one of their inspection lanes breaks down, and I have to wait even longer for those vehicles to back out of the facility and resume in another lane. errrrrrrrrr

Truck runs great, about 17k miles on it now.

Think I am getting the clunk knock on left turns though.

For those who have experienced the clunk with left turns, What was done to remidy this condition? Lube of front suspension parts or something like that?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • ravenoneravenone Member Posts: 20
    What is the GVW of the 2003 Quad Cab SLT Plus 4X4 with the 4.7L and 5-Speed?

Thank you,

RavenOne
  • mikef208mikef208 Member Posts: 69
    First off, I hear the dakota is set for a redesign in 2004. Is that a good reason to wait till then to get a redesigned one. Or if I like the 2003, should I just get a 2003?

Also can someone tell me what, if any, options can be added at the dealership. I have found several models that have most of the options i want, but not quite all. So would it be possible for the dealer to add any options, or do they not do that? I know I could just order one that I want with what i want, but I would hate to have to wait for it. I am very impatient.
  • mikef208mikef208 Member Posts: 69
    Oh yeah I almost forgot. While browsing the dodge website I noticed they had something called the Stampede package for the dakota. What exactly comes with this, and is it only available from the dodge site, or do some dealership models have it also?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Mike,

Some accessory options can be dealer installed fairly easily. Radios and speaker systems, heavy duty cooling, auxiliary transmission cooler, bed liners, flares, mouldings, fog lights, security systems, and wheels.

Other things might be more difficult. I know of one dealer that installed a sliding rear window in a fellows Dakota a few years ago, but I'm not sure every dealer would go that far. More integral equipment might be possible, but economically difficult. A dealer might swap rear axles with you, provided he has a compatible truck on the lot. I've heard of people exploring the installation of power windows, but again, the economics are likely to be against you. Almost anything is possible, but not necessarily easy in the field.

I remember a time when manufacturers had power steering, power brake, and air conditioning kits for installing these items after the vehicle was built. Of course, these being almost universally standard equipment nowadays makes them moot.

Regarding waiting for the new Dakota: I thought I heard that the Dakota replacement was being postponed or at least being pushed out aways. I suspect the next generation Dakota will be even more refined and efficient than the current one. However, Chrysler has a poor history with respect to new product launches. They've done well with a few, and exceptionally well with the new RAM. Industry reports indicate that Chrysler has made significant progress reducing component failures and subsequent warranty cost. But the problems often associated with the first year of a new platform design is something that I'd keep in mind.

I think I saw a picture of the next Dakota prototype and have this impression that the styling was putred (in my opinion, of course). Nowhere as attractive as the current design, which by the way, is still eye appealing to me despite being a seven year-old design.

If your impatient, wait for the post-holiday sales.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • indychapellindychapell Member Posts: 35
    Use to be that dealers will install, but your going to pay more for it. I would have to say that it would have to be less costly to have your likes put on a truck from the factory.
  • hogger4hogger4 Member Posts: 29
    I am thinking of buying an enclosed trailer to haul my 2 Harleys behind my 2001 Quad Cab. Anyone know a site where enclosed trailers (Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Pace, Cargo Express, etc.) are discussed and/or rated by actual consumers, not dealers? All I get is his is best, others are junk, from whichever trailer dealership I am at.

Thanks! I know my 01 Quad will have no problem towing a 7 X 14 or 8 X 14 enclosed trailer loaded with 2 bikes. Anyone have experience with this combo? Thanks!
  • ravenoneravenone Member Posts: 20
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if Chrysler is going to extend incentives into the new year? I know that the current offering from Dodge runs out on the 6th of January.

Thanks for the help,

Raven
  • ahasherahasher Member Posts: 236
    Just posted here to say I'm back and hope everyone is doing good, and had a happy/safe holiday. My work schedule is leveling off so i hope to be lurking/posting more again.
    Update: 67,000 miles on my QC, new BF Goodrich 70R15s on the rims, the Goodyears lasted me well. Idle still good, mileage still good, no new rattles or squeaks in the cab. Anti Sway bar bushings remind me to change them soon ( I have new bushings, just need time). they pop often now.
    No mods since summer but I hope to get back into shade tree mechanic mods this spring, catback, Cold Air intake etc.. but still have smooth steady power getting to highway speeds and the occasional "punch" to pass... even looks new after a dose of McGwyere (ok how do you spell that ???) polish/wax..

ahasher
    I drove a regular cab short box Ram 1500 with a HEMI in it this weekend, it also had the 20" wheels and a 3.92 rear with limited slip. What an awesome motor. I made a few spirited runs between stoplights and on the interstate. The motor is very smooth and the exhaust sound makes you want to give it more gas just to hear its song! That was the good part, the bad part was the average MPG while driving aggressively was an indicated 6.6 MPG. The sticker indicated it is capable of getting 18 on the highway but I doubt most owners will drive the truck in any way that will allow approaching that number. The 5 speed automatic transmission was way too smooth! With the pedal to the metal the truck will leave a good 100 yards of dual black marks but you barely feel the transmission shift. I was waiting for a 1-2 shift to leave another patch of rubber and to receive a kick to the small of the back as it slammed into second! Too civilized with a 5 speed auto, needs a good 5 or 6 speed manual transmission.
    As impressive as the motor was I still think a Regular Cab Dakota with a 4.7 and a 5 speed would give it a good run for the money.

The dealer said that the 5.7 Hemi will replace the 5.9 in the Dakota R/T during the 2004 model year.

I also looked at Dakota Quads and noticed that they are still cutting more corners while raising the purchase price. The overhead console on the Dakota and the Ram 1500 won't hold a pair of sunglasses any more. Now the overhead computer will no longer display the instantaneous MPG reading, only the average (this is the one that helps me get better MPG when I see how much gas it is sucking as I go thru the gears).
    I was pricing out a 2003 Dakota Quad on the Dodge web site and happened across a printout of similar equipped one I had done for a 2002. I noticed a truck spec'ed out exactly the same would cost $1,600+ more for the 2003 than the 2002.
    I guess these rebates aren't really as good as they seem. My Dakota Quad purchased in 2000 had a window price of $23,890, to replace it today would cost $26,305.
    I broke my left leg in a motorcycle accident back in September and had to have a rod installed between the knee and ankle to hold all the pieces together! This condition had me considering an automatic which would raise the price another $1,000 or so.
    I think I'll stay with the 5 speed because it only hurts when I push the clutch in

Rick continues rambling on ----- Has anone seen the Magnum SRT-8 concept vehicle yet??
    It too is due out as a production vehicle in 2004 and is supposed to be very close to the show car. This may be my "new" Quad cab. Rick
    My old neighbor (who just recently moved) was an old Mopar gear head. He had a very successful 7+ second Hemi 'Cuda for a while, but traded it for cash. He's starting to convert the cash into old Chrysler product cars. His first venture was a '67 Coronet 440. He gave me a ride last summer. Been awhile since I've had a to go to the chiropractor.

There's what some would call a "slick" '02 RAM1500 around here that's been lowered (ugly, IMO), big racing stripes and what I've been told has a blown 4.7 motor. This thing is fast, too!

Bests,
    Dusty
  • datagurudataguru Member Posts: 95
    I'm almost ready to place an order to upgrade my 2001 3.9L QC 2WD to a 2003 4.7L QC 2WD and am considering adding the 4-wheel ABS anti-locking disc brakes option.

Before, I finalize the options list...can fellow Dak owners please give me some Pros and Cons of this option. Is the standard equipped rear-only ABS adequate? Winters are fairly mild but, can get icy where I live and snow is rare with the exception of 1996 when it snowed 4-5 feet in 7 days. (the worst winter in 85yrs, since 1911)

Thanks
    I will tell you straight up that I'm not a fan of anti-lock brakes. I'm on my 4th vehicle with them and I just don't like them. I've had situations on dry pavement that I could not produce enogh braking to stop.

That aside, my 2003 Dakota Club Cab is the first rear-only ABS vehicle I've owned and the first Chrysler-built ABS vehicle. Maybe it's the type of system Chrysler uses, or the fact that they're rear-wheel only, but my Dakota does not exhibit any of the negative qualities that I dislike about 4-wheel anti-lock.

Just tonight, in fact, I had to stop quick on thick hard packed snow and the Dakota stopped perfectly straight. This is the fourth time I've had to lock them up and it has gone straight every time. I have yet to experience the annoying false trigger of the anti-lock motor that we experience with our Toyota Avalon, especially on first stops after start-up.

I expect (hoping) to have less problems with this system. Our GM cars had the ABS computers fail and at $900 a crack it gets expensive. If the Dakota ABS fails I just won't get it fixed.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    "If the Dakota ABS fails I just won't get it fixed"

Do you really want you [non-permissible content removed] end coming around in a panic stop on wet roads.
    That's what usually happens with a pickup without abs on the rear wheel.
     That's why most pickups now have rears as standard ant optional on front.
This discussion has been closed.