Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    Thanks Dusty. I wouldn't be surprised about their honesty/ignorance. The salesman didn't have a good working knowledge of the options available. I really checked the options closely. The burnout scene I witnessed (explained in earlier post 4448) really made me nervous. If the price hadn't been great I would have walked. I did get good reviews of their service department from friends who have dealt with them.

When you say "Magnum" form what are you referring to? Did they change the camshaft in hopes of improving torque, gas mileage, etc.? That 6 really lopes at idle but it doesn't run too rough.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The 3.9 V6 is actually based on the 318LA block, just with two cylinders removed. The 318LA engine was introduced in 1967. Somewhere in the '90s, Chrysler made significant changes to the block and head geometry by changing the lifter cylinder angle, which required a commensurate change to the push-rod angle. So, non-magnum heads will not work on a "magnum" motor, and vice-versa. This was mostly the result of going to a roller-lifter camshaft.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Are there any websites showing the 3.9 parts breakdown? I would like to see that valve train setup.

Thanks.
    I'll try to answer some of your questions that you posted on the other board:

>>I had a Dodge van with a 318 in it and can't help but notice how mopar engines seem to run rougher than other motors.<<

Well, this may actually be the case, I don't know. But, in my experience not all GMs ran that smoothly, either. My 4.7 is very smooth. Not as smooth as my Nissan or our Toyota, but pretty close.

>>On the 3.9 you can't manipulate the throttle to get it to stay at 1,000 rpm (with trans in Park).<<

Yeah, I think you'll notice that on a lot of different vehicles. The engine computer knows when the throttlebody isn't on the idle stop. It's probably the result of being in open loop so close to the closed loop idle speed.

>>Seems to like either 600 or 1,500rpm but doesn't like to maintain rpms in between.<<

Hmmm. There may be something wrong with this particular 3.9. That doesn't sound right. I've driven 3.9s and don't remember them acting that way.

>>Sure wish the 4 speed auto tranny shifted as well as the electronic 4 speed auto in my Buick.<<

I haven't driven much (many) of the newer 3.9 automatics, but they have a "learn" feature which adjusts for your type of driving. It might take a while for this to occur (a number of miles) depending on how you drive.

>>What's Chryslers idea behind no coolant recovery system?<<

According to my Dakota service manual, you have the same coolant recovery tank as I do on my 4.7. When standing in front of the engine bay, with the hood opened, the coolant recovery tank is the right side portion (left side of vehicle) of the washer fluid tank.

>>Curious as to why the 3.9 is only rated at 175hp when my Buick 3800 is rated at 200hp? What did Chrysler leave out of this motor?<<

Nothing. Keep in mind that the 3.9 is not a car motor, but only used in truck or van platforms. Look at the torque ratings of both engines and the rpm of the rated HP. The cast iron 3.9 will most likely have a completely different torque/horsepower curve because of the type of vehicle its used in (truck vs. car). It is typical of truck engines to develop more torque or torque sooner in the rpm range. This is usually the exact opposite of car motors.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    I'm not aware of any pictures on the web.

Dusty
    The 600 - 1500 rpm fluctuation is when the transmission is in park. As I recall I experienced that before the engine had time to warm up. I've have since tried that partial throttle open position condition with the motor warm and it's rock solid with no change in rpm. As a matter of fact, it's not doing it now when cold either. I need to remind myself that this truck is new and will require more time for things to settle in before I question stuff like this.

The "Learn" feature is also on my Buick. That probably explains that situation. I have to re-learn my Buick transmission after the wife has driven it around town :-)

I found the coolant recovery tank. Thanks for pointing it out as well as the other information in your message.

Didn't realize the 3.9 is strictly a truck/van motor.

Sorry to have stirred things up. Wasn't intending on doing that. Thanks again.
  • 3rdtime3rdtime Member Posts: 7
    Happy to see you have a sense of humor. Now if my new Quad would just get here!
    I'm wondering if I should have waited a little longer. With the new 04's coming out, along with the new competition from GM, Daimler will need to offer some excellent rebates to move all the 03's. I counted 24 2003 units on my dealers lot. Several have been there over 6 months. Mine was there since last fall! One dealer near me still has some 02's sitting on the lot. Don't believe they qualify for the $3K rebate though. Price is around $20K for a SLT 4x4. If I read the fine print correctly, the 3yr/36k warranty wouldn't actually start until the vehicle is "put in service". Still wouldn't have tempted me enough to walk away from the $18K I paid for my SXT Quad.

Word from my GM employee friend is that car/truck sales are off 10% due to all the people who have previously taken advantage of the rebates/incentives.
    You stirred things up?? I don't think so. Seemed like rational questions to me.

Around here (Rochester, NY area) the Ford dealers are the ones that have lots of '03 inventory. My local Dodge dealer did have one '02 stripper Dakota for sale up to mid-April, I think. But RAMs around here seem to be moving okay. By March they had moved all of their '02 RAM stock.

Good luck with your new Dakota Quad.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • tb11tb11 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all :)
    Im thinking of getting a 03 quad, here is the setup.
    2wd, 4.7l V8, 5sp auto, leather, cd, power driver seat, anti-spin axle, infinity speaker system, pwr convience group, pwr overhead group, rear window defroster, bodyside molding, deluxe convience group. Price is $21,996. Ive looked all around my area and this is the best price ive seen. sound good to you guys? I really want to get a truck now, I wish I knew what the 04's looked like. Should I wait or buy now?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    What ratio on the rear axle are you looking at?
    Its the standard axle gear. Im still looking around but so far Im learing towards this one.
    1300 miles on the odometer and I've got two irritating noises from inside the cab.

1. Dash rattle when motor idles in gear.
    2. Growling sound coming from the steering column. Sounds like power steering pump noise traveling up the column.

Time to test the service departments capabilities. Anyone else experience this?
    No, neither one here. In fact, mine is one of the best assembled vehicles I've owned.

I do have a slight whistling sound that appears to be coming from the driver's defroster outlet when I have the passenger window opened just a crack. But not one rattle or discrepant noise otherwise.

Good luck with the new truck.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Dash rattle ended up being the sun shade rattling against the plastic piece where it snaps into place. My wife is always undoing the shade and not putting it back in place. She does the same thing to our Buick. Didn't have to take it into the dealer after all.

Steering column growl has stopped and haven't heard it again. Didn't contact the dealer on this either.

My Quad is at 1,500 miles now. Will take it in for the first oil change as recommended by the dealer. Engine is settling down nicely and is running very smooth. 4 speed auto tranny has learned my driving habits and is very smooth. I fooled it by backing off of the gas when it was expecting more. Stayed in second gear longer because of this but realized what I was up to and shifted :-) Seems to be pretty intelligent (LOL)City mpg is around 17 to 18 with one tank at 16 due to the breakin full throttle routine. Applied the first application of Zaino show car polish. If you aren't using Zaino better read the maintenance discussion boards here at Edmunds. Have not found anything that compares to it.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    I am talking with a local dealer [Western PA] that is selling a used '03 Dakota [4 door] SLT+ with 18,500 miles. It has a 3.55 rear end and the 5.9 engine. The dealer wants $20K for it.
    The truck is in good shape and my only concern is the 5.9 engine - I would much prefer the 4.7.
    Any comments on the 5.9? I don't see this engine in the Dakota much and I am concerned about it's gas mileage because of older technology. Any other issues to look for in a used '02 or '03 Dakota?
    Thanks in advance for your comments.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    Old vs. new, gas $ vs. economy, lotsa power vs nice power.

You should find the 4.7 does it all, but the 5.9 will give you extra (overkill?)
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    Since I don't tow anything, the 4.7 suits my needs fine. Too bad it has the 5.9. I think I'm going to pass on it.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    The price seems a little high. Ought to be able to buy a new one for that price if it is not a 4x4. A SLT+ Quad optioned out nice with a 4.7 and auto trans 2wd would be about $25K, rebate and discount should pull at least $5K off that. 4x4 would add another $2.5K or so back on. My dealers floor manager told me he was taught the rule of thumb that when you drive the new vehicle off the lot you have lost 1/3 of the MSRP in the value of the truck. Most dealers try to keep the trade in value $4K or so below what they expect they can sell the truck for on their used car lot. Rick
    What is the difference between the standard 3.55 and the 3.92 Axle Ratio. I dont know much about vehicles and the truck Im looking at has this axle.

thx :)
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (tb11) Your above append is ambiguous... I am not sure WHICH axle ratio you are looking at.

In either case here is the scoop

3.55 = better MPG, worse accelleration, lower engine RPMs for a given roadspeed

3.92 = more towing power, worse MPG, better accelleration, higher engine RPMs at a given roadspeed

BOTTOM LINE: The 3.92 is most often selected by folks who are expecting to do a lot of towing. It is also the choice for a 2 wheel drive when one expects to win drag races.
    I meant Im looking at a quad cab with the 3.92 ratio. However I dont plan on towing much. It seems the 3.55 with the better mpg might have been better to get. I will be getting the 4.7 V8 with 5speed auto 2x4.

How does the higher engine RPMs effect the engine? I mean over time any problems, Im assuming it has higher RPM's to give it quicker acceleration? How much mgp drop is there?

thx for help :)
  • livnlrnlivnlrn Member Posts: 76
    The RPM's are due to the engine needing to turn over faster to attain the same speed with the higher gear ratio in the rear end. Just for example (not real #'s) With the 3.55 gears you will be at 5000 rpm's when doing 60 mph, but with the 3.92 gears the engine will be at 5500 rpms to do the same 60 mph. The higher gear ratio "winds up faster" which is what gives you the better acceleration. Hot rodders usually get 4.11 gears so they can drag race or do burn-outs whatever (short fast distances). But it is killer on the interstate because the enigne is revving like crazy to do 60 mph.
     I don't think the higher rev's that you will experiance will affect the engine much with 3.92 vs 3.55 as far as problems go.
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    If you are getting a 2x4 becarefull with which axle you get. My 2x4 has the stock 215-75R-15 tires with the 3.55 with 4.7 5spd manual. Since the day I have owned it the 1st gear is worthless when the truck is empty. I couldn't image how bad it would be if I had the 3.92. I actually start my truck in 2nd gear on all level starts (empty). I use to drive a "3-on-the-tree" and I slipped the clutch more in that old truck than I do in my Dakota starting in 2nd gear. Now if I had the bigger tires, than this would be a different story. After 3 1/2 years and 61K miles I'm still driving it the same way.
  • ccaulfield1ccaulfield1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    looking for some real world info on an 03 Quad. Model I'm interested in is a V6 with a stick 3.55 axle ratio. Wondering what mpg might be. I am putting a camper shell on it (does that help mpg). Read some consumer reports about warping rotors and engines being replaced after less than 5k miles. Any truth in this. I am driving a Toyota Tacoma 97 now and have had no problems but need more space.

Thanks
    I bought an 03 Quad SXT last month. I got the 3.9 six with auto four speed and 3.55 rearend. The manual 5 speed will get better gas mileage and perform better than an automatic transmission. No real problems with it so far. It's a new vehicle and will take some time to get everything in order. Had a steering column noise that went away on it's own. I remind myself that this truck is new and I shouldn't run to the dealer with every little concern... until it's had a chance to get broke in.

I'm getting 17-18mpg in town (16 with acceleration per breakin procedure) and have seen 24mpg on highway only driving with a/c off. I based my purchase on price and options due to the fact that I live in the flatlands where there are no hills, mountains and I don't tow anything heavier than a small boat. Dealer gave me $2k in addition to the $3k factory rebate. I paid $18k for the truck. Had I opted for the 4.7 the dealer would have tacked on an additional $1,900 because they only had the 4.7 available with a ton of options added in (didn't need or want them).

I drove semis and have plenty of experience with trucks with about the same horsepower as many pickups have these days.

Try driving a truck with 40,000 lbs on the trailer and 220hp under the hood. Of course torque is the key under these circumstances. You don't run up the hills at 60mph. That's a major reason why I could care less if my Quad is "underpowered". I'm used to it. Amateur drivers tend to think you need to be able to pull a load up a steep grade without losing any speed. In 1982 I won an award for high fleet fuel mileage. I averaged 13mpg on single run with a new Cummins fuel squeezer big cam. Last I knew that record has not been broken in the company I drove for.

I would suggest that you examine your needs before making a decision. Word has it that GM will turn the Dakota into an obsolete vehicle this fall when they bring out the Colorado and Canyon to compete with the Dakota. If that happens Daimler better get their act together. I hope this doesn't happen but if it does I plan on keeping my Dakota for a year or so and see how the GM's are holding up.
  • 3rdtime3rdtime Member Posts: 7
    Just took delivery of my new Quad, it took just less than 6 weeks from the time the order went in. I wanted one with more options than any area dealer had. Anyway, high back buckets, option package 26h, heavy duty service group, trailer tow group, security group, over head convenience group, anti lock brakes, 5 speed auto, 3.55 anti-spin differential, 4.7 V8, rear defroster-heated mirrors, power seat, engine block heater, 6 disc CD changer, infinity speakers, audio controls on the leather wrapped wheel, and the 265 tires. Listed for $31740.00 with rebates and discount I got it for $23923.00 before tax and license. 94 Club Cab that I bought new is now being driven by my son, the only problem with that one is the 2nd speed on the fan doesn't work. I hope this one turns out to be as good or better than the last. It is one sharp looking truck. (Graphite Metallic) Later.
  • ronslakieronslakie Member Posts: 58
    lotech1 - This post (below) on the Colorado page doesn't sound as though the Colorado or Canyon will even turn the S-10 or Sonoma into an obsolete vehicle. This coupled with the fact that the only engine available is an I-5! How many are going to be lined up to give up there V-8 to get there hands on an I-5?

Mid Size?????????? it is smaller than the S10!!!! by ghislain Canada Jun 24, 2003 (10:57 pm)

Just been on the GM Web sites and decided to compare the Specs for the
    Colorado vs the S10. This sure was a downer; I was very excited about
    this MIDSIZE truck; but now I would really like someone with GM
    connections to explain where the MIDSIZE designation comes from

Here is what I found comparing the Crew Cab versions:
    Colorado Width 67.6 S10 is 67.9
                 height 67.9 S10 is 63.4
                 Headroom F/R 39.3/37.1 S10 39.6/38.2
                 Legroom F/R 42.2/34.4 S10 42.4/34.6
                 Shoulder F/R 57.1/57.1 S10 57.1/57.2
    And here is the kicker
     The Maximum Towing Capacity of the Colorado is 4000 lb.. vs 5200 lb.
    for the S10.
      I sure feel like someone has rained on my parade and I sure hope that
    the MSRP will be in line with these specs.

GM engineers must be great at optical illusionism to make this truck
    appear a lot bigger than it really is.
    The only consolation is that the cargo box of the Colorado is approx. 5
    inches longer.

Ron
    From what I see they must be expecting to win on mpg ratings of the 3500 I-5 220hp engine. If Daimler ever pulls their heads out of the sand and get that 3.7 in the Dakota, then the GM offerings shouldn't be of any concern. I can't wait to explain the difference between a 3.7 and a 3.9 to those ignorant sales people when I take my Quad in for an oil change.
    I am now the Proud owner of a 03 Quad Dak SLT+ :)

It rolled off the truck Friday morning and I picked up that afternoon with 9miles on the odo.
    4.7L 5speed auto, bucketseats, 255tires, 3:92axle, limited slip. 2 tone, Garnet red/gray. Really love it so far, Im being careful and not going over 50mph for the first 500miles, then not over 60mph with some fast excelleration.
  • jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    I am looking at an 03 QC and the one that I have my eye on has the larger P265/70R16 tires. I like the look and the stance of the larger tires but am I going to be giving up ride quality? (Keeping everything else equal) I plan on driving one with the smaller tires as well so that I can get a better feel for the difference.

Also, is the receiver hitch that comes from the factory a 2"?

Thanks!
    Well, I have the P245x70R16 Goodyear on/off road Wrangler SR-As on my Dakota Club Cab. Keep in mind that I also have the 6100 lb. suspension with front and rear sway bars.

I think the ride quality is pretty good, whether its all in the tires, I don't know. Is the ride like a Lincoln tTown Car? No. I'd classify it as "firm," but not harse or abusive on average pavement.

I did drive a dakota SLT in normal configuration (standard suspension, 15-inch passenger tires) and I seem to remember the ride was softer. Just how much I can't tell you, but I went from a Nissan Sentra, a Chevy G20, and a Toyota avalon, and I think the ride with the bigger tires is very good especially considering the suspension.

Best way to find out if the tires will make you unhappy is to test drive the vehicle.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Jeff, the Dakota tow package includes a hitch equipped with a receiver that accepts the "standard of the industry" 2 inch inserts. This will accommodate
    not only a vast number of ball mounts and other accessories such as carriers and bike racks, but the 1-1/4 inch accessories as well utilizing an adapter. The tow capacity is limited by the particular truck.

Bookitty
    Will exceed the towing capacity of the Dakota. Be careful.
  • eagleeye13eagleeye13 Member Posts: 29
    Hi everyone, it's been awhile ! Too busy enjoying my QC. purchased Apr '02 special ordered.
     SLT+, 4.7, 3.55 lsd, 5 spd, heavy duty service grp, tow package, ovr head convenience grp,Infinity speakers, rr window def/heated mirrors,etc. after market accessories Smittybilt stainless steel "nerf" bars, ARE tonneau,
    line-x spray on over cap, 3" Dynamax cat back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter, Intake mod with fernco elbow/stainless steel tube/couple wrapped in insulation tape and covered with aluminium tape.
     Now have 26,000+ miles, this is a great vehicle for travelling, July 5 drove from La Mesa (San Diego) to San Fernando Valley and back 370 mi. 70-80 mph with a/c on 20% of trip and 35 mi of city driving 19.6 mpg on computer actual 20 mpg ( 369 mi 18.4 gal)
     Took 2 trips to Oakland, Ca. in May due to family deaths, not fun but avg 18-19 mpg for both trips running a/c 70-80% of trips 2300 miles total.
      I'm using 5w-30 Mobil 1 oil w/ Mobil 1 filter changing every 3-4000 mi's.
     Still planning on changing tranny and rear end over to Redline, where is everyone purchasing the redline from?
      Otherwise no problems, only complaint is only 1 12volt outlet in cab, and side dash vents don't put out enough air ! After 26,000 miles if this is my only complaints I guess I'll keep this truck !!!!LOL

Have a good day !!!!
       Lee
  • pixelnpixeln Member Posts: 9
    I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? The dealer can't figure it out. On two separate occasions, over a month apart, the battery has gone dead overnight (no the lights were not left on). The battery checks out Ok and recharges, but was totally discharged both times. For reference I have an '01, SLT, 4.7 L, manual tranny, 4x4, tow package, HD cooling, tire and handling. I suspect a relay may be sticking and keeping something energized that's not supposed to be. I would appreciate any ideas. Other than this no problems so far.
    This should be pretty easy to diagnose by a simple current test, unless it's intermittent in nature.

I agree with your suspicions about a relay sticking. You could take the cover off of the PDC (Power Distribution Center) that's in the engine compartment (driver's side) and check the relays to see which are still warm. You should be able to rule out relays that control things that make noise or illuminate something, or other obvious signs of being energized, like the radiator fan relay.

(If the radiator relay was still energized, the radiator fan would be operating.)

Or, just pull them all out when you park the vehicle, and re-insert them before the next restart. That could confirm or eliminate a relay problem.

Another not-so-obvious culprit could be the alternator. I've seen diodes short and allow battery drain.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    It's possible that the battery is going bad. I have an '01 and the battery died at 26 months. Haven't had any problems since it was replaced.
  • jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    I have an '02 QC as well, and a similar thing happens to me, but I've found that mine only drains completely if I don't start it for 7 to 8 days. (I only drive it on weekends.) Of course, I told Dodge about it, and they said, "That's an acceptable range of days for battery drainage given the vehicle wasn't started in that time frame." I then told them my craftsman riding mower went all winter without starting and its battery didn't drain, and I also told them that my previous truck ('97 F150) could go any number of days without the battery draining, but that didn't seem to impress them either. Although I'm bitter, their response was not unexpected; I knew this was the downside of not buying the Tundra, but the Tundra QC will be out later this year...

Good luck with it; as a previous poster stated, please let us know if you find out what the problem is.

Jeff
    Jeff, "hogwash" is the best way to express an opinion of the dealer's take on this. Prior to driving my truck to FL, it sat in the garage for up to 2 months between starting. It cranked every time (2000, 4.7). Your truck has either a faulty battery, or something in the system is causing the battery to drain. The power usage required to keep the OBC energized is very minimal. Check for some type of residual load within the system or check the battery with with a tester that has the ability to place variable amperage loading.

Bookitty
    Yeah, I agree with you. Either your dealer's service person is ignorant or they just don't want to be bothered with a problem they can't find in 10 minutes.

(Since technicians at auto dealerships usually get paid flat-rate, there is little incentive to invest precious labor time on a mystery problem like yours, when there are other flat-rate jobs waiting that can make more money for them.)

I have a 2003 Dakota service manual, not the RAM, but I suspect that there are genealogical similarities in the electrical systems. There are, depending on the optional equipment your's has, up to 8 or 12 discrete electronic devices in the system that draw current when the ignition switch is in the off position. This current is drawn through the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) circuit. There is even a fuse for this. For Dakota, the service manual states that normal draw is anywhere between 5 and 35 milliamperes.

Now, again for Dakota, the service manual does state that:

"A vehicle that has not been operated for approximately 20 days, may discharge the battery to an inadequate level. When a vehicle will not be used for twenty days or more (stored), remove the IOD fuse from the junction box."

Seven days is out of the specified range. If the IOD current drain is within specification, and you have no other load devices taking current, I suspect that you have a defective battery.

There appears to be a tool called the "Micro 420 Battery Tester" that can (should?) be used to check the battery's general health. But, this takes more than 10 minutes, I'm sure.

There are now three reports on the Edmunds boards that mention battery failure on 2002 Dodge trucks. It's possible that there's a bad batch of batteries out there.

By the way, since I have the distinct pleasure of visiting our Toyota dealer now and again, you may have been equally dissapointed in a Tundra. Unlike the Camry, which is one of the best cars built in America, I've not been impressed with what I see at the Toyota service department regarding Tundras.

I'd have another dialog with your truck's service department, that is if you can find someone with motivation or intelligence to talk to.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks, guys! They did tell me to pull the fuse -- even showed me where it is, but I think as a result you lose the clock and radio presets. Told them I didn't wanna reset them every 2 weeks.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas!

Jeff
  • js4esterjs4ester Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a Dakota Sport Plus Quad Cab on the 19th of July.

4X2 in Atlantic Blue
    4.7L V-8
    3.92 axle
    P245 Tires
    Heavy Duty Service
    Tow Package
    Security Group
    Power Overhead
    Anti-Spin Diff
    Power heated side mirrors
    Rear sliding window
    Power bucket Seats
    6-disk CD changer
    8 Infinity speakers in 6 locations - what does that mean?
    Leather wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
    Under rail bed liner

Paid $ 23,525 after rebate.
    MSRP was $ 28,550

So far, I'm absolutely loving the vehicle. I plan on towing a good sized pop-up tent trailer, and, according to mother-in-law, her horses occasionally.

I have noticed a low pitched moan when backing and slightly pressing on the brake. Pushing more pressure, the noise goes away. Sounds like vibration from the disk and pad. Is this normal, or should I take it in to get looked at? Is it something that will go away once the brakes are used a little?
    Other than that, no complaints. Would love some advice on the brake noise... thanks.
    Jeff, sounds beautiful. Enjoy your new truck, and good luck.

Bookitty
    My 03 Quad (w/4 wheel discs) did the same thing up to the 500 mile point then stopped completely. I did hear it for a split second the other day after a big rain storm. I will be getting the oil changed soon and will report this to the dealer. It's important to speak up when noticing things like this. I believe it must be connected to new pads seating in.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    junk the 45RFE or 545RFE or whatever they hell they are building now and go back to the 727 Torqueflight.
    Then you'd see some real wheel spin.....trust me, I've ridden in Hemi cars with this very setup and boy do they light the tires.
    Rick, I think that your "monster" sounds pretty cool. It's a pretty hefty truck, and it takes some power to get it moving. Once you get some inertia going on an interstate trip you will see a significant rise in mileage. Thanks for keeping us updated, and for continuing to monitor the board.

Bookitty
  • dakownerdakowner Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone. My first post here. Bought my new 2003 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad in June. It has 3,000 miles on it and is a great truck. I really enjoy the extra space provided when the back seats are folded up.

Glad to be here.
    Dakowner
    I don't think the loss of wheel spin is the direct result of the 545RFE transmission. I think you'll find that it's got more to do with the drive-by-wire system.

I've been in a Quad Cab that had a 4.7 and it would spin the rears. In fact, there's a video on the web of a 2002 RAM Quad in a bumper pull that get's lots of wheel spin. (By the way, the RAM won.)

My daughter did a burn-out with my Dakota that left about 150 feet of tire marks on her street, and mine's got LSD. Granted, my Dak is lighter than a Quad, but I know the 545RFEs will do it.

But, yet to see a 5.7 do it.

Bests,
    Dusty
    Dusty, let me know whenever you daughter is driving. I'm thinking of opening a tire shop, and she sounds like she would be a great customer (grin).

Bookitty
This discussion has been closed.