Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Regular Cab

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Dodge
spokespersons...Here's your special area. Enjoy!

Bonnie Rick
Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall

Comments

• mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks Bonnie, I love it!

Mailman
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Jim, when push comes to shove, you regular cab owners are the only guys (or girls) to easily operate the rear slider. The club cab makes it necessary to be a contortionist, and we quad cabbers have to find a place to pull off the road. Not a very exciting subject, but it's a start. Good luck with your club section.

Bookitty
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Sorry this took so long, but I hope to see a lot of activilty in here. It'll be interesting for sure. :-)
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Thanks Bonnie, Themacguy, Bookitty, et all. Hope to see this topic take off...

I've had my RC for a couple of months now. Just love this truck. I keep making excuses to drive it. Sort of like that new Honda commercial where the wife needs milk, the husband gladly volunteers to go get it, but brings back chocolate milk (on purpose) so then he has to make another trip to the market. That's me!!!

Thanks again...
    Tim
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    That's how I put 25k on mine in the 1st 8 months!
    I will be out of the net for a couple of weeks backpacking and mountain bike riding in what Virginia calls mountains. Please keep up the posting in this area so we don't lose our spot.

Mailman
  • kwanderikwanderi Member Posts: 33
    Has anyone been able to locate a cat-back system for the 4.7, Auto with a regular cab yet? All the systems I see are for Quads or Clubs, no RCs. I'm thinking of just getting a system for the Club as it can only be a difference in the intermediate pipe between the muffler and the cat. That I can make fit.

I was kinda leaning towards a Gibson as that's what I had on my 97 Dakota CC and I liked the sound, not too loud but not stock.

Any ideas any one?

Keith
    Can't say that I've seen any kits specifically for the RC. However, I'll admit that I haven't really been looking for one. The experience I had with a cat-back system on my previous truck ('99 Mazda B3000 4X4) was not a good one. Consequently, I've decided to leave my exhaust system stock. How was the system you had on your '97? Any performance gains/losses or MPG difference? Just wondering...
    I also has a Jet Stage II chip, a K&N FIPK plus the Gibson and I can say that one could feel the difference, but is was only the V6. It needed all that just to keep up and still no better MPG than the V8.

I guess I'm looking more for the sound and the look of that 3.5" polished stainless tip. Just a little something to say 'I'm not stock'. I took out the entire stock air box assembly and fabricated a K&N Cone style for the intake, and now I need to open up the exhaust.

Well, I have a saws-all and a welder so I think I'm going to get the Club model and make it fit.

Keith
    Returned from you backpacking trip yet? Just wondering...
    Xenala: Just got back from my trip to the mountains. We hiked on several trails around the Mt. Rogers Virginia area and biked on several rail trails in the area. The trip was great fun except for the $87 speeding ticket I got. What a bummer! Going down hill on a 4 lane divided highway in 3rd gear with overdrive locked out and didn't see a 45 mph zone for construction. I was doing just over 60 using the engine for breaking but apparently it wasn't enough. Saw a higway patrol car coming the other way and hit the brakes immediately, but he said he clocked me at 64. Coudn't believe it was a 45 mph zone, there wasn't even any construction. Apparently they leave the 45 mph sign up all the time to catch the unaware. I wondered why everyone was going so slow and riding in the right lane. Obviously they were locals and new the score. Oh well, I guess they need someone to pay for the new highway! Other than that small glitch, the trip was great. I took the old 91 5.2 Dakota and it ran great, although I had to use the overdrive lockout a lot in the mountains.

Mailman
    Read in USA Today that latest JD Power survey had Dakota the 10th worst on survey. What a bummer! Must be all those club/quad cab owners complaining about their trucks. Regular cab owners don't have that problem!

Mailman
    Hmmm...I'm a little surprised at that. Didn't the Dakota fair much better in the two previous years? I know my RC has been great. Good interior build quality, decent exterior fit and finish. My only concern about the truck is that under certain conditions, the rear end can get a little squirly. For example, if I'm driving fairly fast and go over some rail-road tracks that aren't perpendicular to the road, the rear of the truck tends to bounce sideways a bit. I wonder if different shocks or that anti-sway bar would solve this. Any thoughts? Have you experienced this with your RC? Thanks...
    xena1a: Do you have any weight on the back? Mine was a little squirrelly before I put on my cap in back. Now only notice the bouncing when going over stutter bumps. I think the springs are a little stiff when not carrying anything in the back. I would imagine the anti-sway bar would help if it is actually bouncing sideways.
    All I've got back there is a bed mat and a bed extender. My Roll-n-Lock has finally arrived, and
    it will be installed next weekend. Perhaps a little additional weight will help. We'll see. Nevertheless, it won't stop me from enjoying this
    truck. It is such a pleasure to drive. It's like taking a little vacation every time I'm behind the wheel. At the end of the work day, I find myself anxious to drive it home because it is so much fun! Do I sound like a kid? Yeah, I guess I do...
    Jim, in earlier posts there were references to the
    "south end" dancing about. Some recommendations were related to air pressure in the tires, as the factory inflates the tires relative to carrying the rated payload. This is certainly the most obvious and easiest fix. If you haven't checked that out and eliminated this source, you may want to try it. If you have, this is of no help and I have exhausted my limited knowledge.

Bookitty
    I too have noticed that the rear tends to 'jump' a bit if going around a slight turn and the rear wheels hit a bump. I have the Roll-n-Lock, the bed Xtender and a tool box in the back but it still has that slight side-ways motion. I hate to think of what could happen if I were to take the corner too fast.

I like to keep my tires inflated 35-38 lbs as it tends to reduce rolling resistance and heat buildup.

Keith
    Bookitty: Actually, it was xena1a that had the bouncies, but thanks. I run 35 lbs tire pressure in mine as I have in all my Dakotas and what DC recommends for my tire size and load. Mine rides pretty smoothly for the most part.

Mailman
    Thanks guys. I checked my tires this morning and
    they are a bit high - 40lbs. I didn't think to check this since getting the truck from the dealer. I'll run them down around 35lbs.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (xena1a) One caution here.
    Read your owners manual about tire pressures. The 10.5 X 31 tires MUST NOT BE RUN AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS unless the tire PSI is high enough. Apparently these tires cannot dissapate the internal heat generated by the additional rubber-flexing caused by the lower PSI. This may lead to the tread coming off of the tire.... Dare I say it... the firestone syndrome!

Remember;
    Reducing the tire PSI will have a negitive impact on your MPG.
    On the good side... the ride quality will be improved with less PSI.
    Point well taken, thanks... Yes, following the Firestone mess, we all need to pay closer attention to our tire pressure. My previous truck ('99 Mazda 4X4) had those Wilderness AT's on it. In fact, I just got the recall notice in the mail. I shudder to think what could have happened during my summer of '99 road trip from AZ to CO. Yikes!!! I replaced those tires shortly after that trip not knowing what trouble they potentially might have been. I replaced them with BFG All Terrains. Who knows where those Firestone's ended up. They only had about 10K miles on them...
    My Roll-n-Lock finally came in and I just had it installed. Man, does it nice. Now I've got a big 'ol lockable storage area. No more moving things from the bed to the cab and back. In addition to the Roll-n-Lock, I've also added a bed mat and bed extender, custom fitted seat covers, dashboard cover, window tinting and door sill covers. That will be it for awhile. I need to let the bank account build back up. My RC is due for it's first oil change next week. I'll probably switch to Mobil1...
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    Just test drove a 1999 RC 5.2 5-speed 4x4. It has the bucket seats. I'm 6 ft tall, and I could have used one more notch on the seat travel. How do you people find the room? There seems to be a bit of room behind the seats, though not alot. Does anybody wish they got the Clubcab instead?
    Also, any comment on the mpg for this set up? I think it has the 3.92 gears.
    I appreciate your comments.
    I'm 3 inches shorter than you are, so leg room is not the factor for me like it is for you. Plus, I tend to drive with the seat far forward. If you do feel a bit cramped, you might want to consider the Club Cab...

I've got the 4.7L engine in mine. 5-speed, 4X4 with the 3.92 gears. It gets a consistent 17MPG. My brother has the 5.2L in his 1/2 ton and he gets 15-16MPG. If you get a chance, test drive the 4.7L Dakota. Great engine...
  • stew2001stew2001 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 RT RC, I'm 6 ft. tall, and my bro is 6 ft 3. We both have plenty of room. i usually have some to spare :) Anyways, I love my truck as do all passerby. It's a joy to drive and a blast to take to the track!

Brian
    Glad to hear about your satisfaction with your RT. I see a few of them zipping around down here in Tucson. Man, are those things fast! Great power to weight ratio. Careful at the track. Wouldn't want to hear that you are an ex-RT owner!!!
    Xena1a: I have had my 00 4.7 Dakota R/C for one year now and the odometer is at 7500 miles. I still love the way it drives, even though it is an automatic! Driving my 91 5.2 Dakota on rainy days keeps my 00 Dakota new. Soon the old truck will wear out and I will have to go cold turkey. In the meantime, my new truck looks better than it did when I bought it a year ago. Happy Dakota anniversary to you all!

Mailman
    Thanks for the note. Good to hear from you. 7500mi for the year is not bad at all! Good idea keeping the '91. I still see a lot of the pre-'97 Dakotas down here in Tucson...

Yea, I'm still loving my '00 RC as well. I've got it pretty much fitted out the way I want it. The last two items on the wish list would be a larger fuel tank and the anti-sway bars...

I plan on doing some off-roading during the holidays. Although my wife and I inadvertently did some 4-wheeling on our way to dinner last night. We took a back-route to the restaurant and came to a road that was closed because it crossed over a wash that had some standing water and lots of deep, loose sand. I offered to turn around but the wife said let's go for it! I said "OK" and put it in 4-HI and just plowed right through. Yea, I know, not too smart. But what a blast! Keep in touch and happy RC'ing...
    I have put 10k on my truck since March this year :) I just love driving it!

Brian
    I got mine in March too and I'm up to 15K already. The power and MPG still seem to be getting better.

Keith
    Stew2001 and Kwanden: You guys are making me feel bad with my wimpy 7500 miles for the year.

Bookitty: Maybe you can tell me a way to increase the mileage on my odometer without driving my truck. You better hide your response. I don't want the forum police to bad mouth me for doing something illegal!
    LOL!!! Your point is well-taken. The incident you are referring to is one of the few that has ever caused any sort of controversy in the Dakota owner topics. Actually, I found the whole thing kind of refreshing...
    Okay Jim, it's easy. If you are a mail carrier, just use a dog leash as you walk around doing your appointed rounds dragging your truck. Leave in neutral with the parking brake off for best results. If not, hook on to a Greyhound bus and "Leave the driving to us." Hope this helps. Have a happy holiday.

Bookitty
    Bookitty: Good idea! I think I'll try that.

Have a good holiday!!!
  • 99slt99slt Member Posts: 14
    This is my second winter in Cleveland with my RC SLT with LSD and T&H package. I early on found that I had hardly any traction on snowy roads. I was slipping and sliding up the slightest incline. I built a 2x8 box between the wheel wells and loaded it with 12 4x16 solid concrete blocks. The whole thing adds about 400# over the rear axle. That did it. I'm curious... have any of you other snow belt RC's had this problem.
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    definitely shared the same experience. I've got a CC with LSD, T&H ect. and adding weight (I also added about 400lbs. of sand bags secured between wheel wells with 2X4 framing using the drop-in liner molded slots) is a must. I switched over to winter tires as well, which I also consider a must for driving and braking in the snow/ice.
  • joshualee1joshualee1 Member Posts: 2
    I am presently very close to purchasing a 1998 Dakota sport 4x2. am i in for trouble this winter. i thought a 90lb. sand bag around the wheel wheels would help, but after reading the previous 2 posts, i am now not so sure. i live in central illinois and the winters are usually not too bad, but this year is supposed to be a bad one.
    It does have limited slip differential-is that at all helpful during the winter?

Any comments would be very much appreciated
    99slt and wetwillie:

I have the same problem when driving in snow with my 2wd RC, but I use something a little less permanent to solve my problem. I have a leer cap on the back that adds some weight, then I add 3 or 4 50lb barbells between the wheel wells and anchor them in place with adjustable cargo bars. When the snow goes away I take the barbells out. Works fine out here in Virginia during the few times it snows.

Mailman
    Joshua, a limited slip differential is ver helpful, as are winter tires. The 3.9 has much less tendency to break loose than does the V8. With some weight over the drive axle, limited slip
    differential, good tires all the way around and prudent driving, you should realize very decent tractive effort.

Bookitty
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Any truck is going to have problems in the snow and ice by design. The less cab, the more need to add weight in the back. I always have a cap on my bed and also carry a couple of bags of kitty litter or sand in the back (100 lbs). The advantage of these is that if I get stuck in a slick spot, the kitty litter is great for adding traction. I also have a winter kit that I keep handy. The flares, entrenching tool and jumper cables stay with the truck, the antifreeze, w. wiper fluid, coveralls and tool box are packed for long trips
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Snow driving with a 2wd can be adventurous.

My past pickup experience was with a 83 ford ranger, 2wd, no limited slip axle. Basically a one wheel drive.

YUP, I use to get stuck alot.

I made a roughly built framework out of 2x4 lumber so weight could be placed directly over the rear axle.
    Weight over the rear wheels helps ALOT.
    Good meaty snow tires are also highly desired.

With the ranger ,it got to the point, that if I saw a single snow flake falling, I would take the day off if I had any sick or vacation days left.

My new Quad Cab has 4x4 and limited slip rear.
    I have not had a limited slip axle before so this winter will be my first experience.
    We had a dusting of snow the other day but not enough to engage the 4x4. Can't wait to try it in the snow.
  • joshualee1joshualee1 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for your responses and insite. will let you all know what i finally decide.
  • lucky47lucky47 Member Posts: 1
    i hope someone can help me on this. i had the same problem with a 88 caravan too. it seems that afer driving somewhere(2 to 15)miles and parking that when i get back in to start within 1 to 10 minutes the truck with start up but die imediatly, like it was not getting any gas.i would have to give it some gas and most of the time when i let up on the gas it would die. after several times of doing this it would be ok. this does not happen all the time but enough. any ideas.
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk Member Posts: 26
    Just a guess, but it might be the "crankshaft position sensor" (which basically serves the same function as the old timing chains of yore) needs to be replaced. I had a 97 Saturn that began to do the same thing, and that was the problem.
  • 98sport98sport Member Posts: 1
    I had this same exact stalling problem with
    my 98. I was checking everything. It turns
    out all that it was was a bad battery. The
    dealer replaced it for free, it's been fine
    ever since.
    Added a new cargo bracing bar to the back of my 00 4.7 R/C truck. It works great and has a lifetime warranty. Keeps cargo from sliding around in back and you can also attach a cargo net to the bar. Previously had a cheap cargo bar I got at Pep Boys that was basically a piece of junk. You had to twist the ends to lengthen or shorten the length of the bar and it took forever. This one has holes on one end of the bar about an inch apart for slots, then has a ratchet lever on the other end of the bar to fine tune the length. Also has an accessory lock that you can get to keep it from getting stolen. Saw it in Truck Trend magazine with internet address of www.saveabar.com

Xena1a: Haven't heard from you in a while. How is the truck doing?

Mailman
    I have a 99 R/T with the posi and it has been a god send in the rain. The only snow I've driven in is around an inch+ in the drive, definatly no big and I was surprised the Goodyear RSAs did as ood as they did. I hope to get a more suitable winter driver vehicle soon since am over 11k milse since March hehe.

Brian
    Thanks for note. I was on an extended vacation during the holidays. Then, I was swamped during my first week back at work. So I kind of disappeared for nearly a month. The truck is doing great. I've got 5200mi on it now. Did some light off-roading recently and it did fine. It is still an absolute blast to drive. I always look forward to driving it. My RC is due for it's 3rd oil change soon. I'm not sure if I'll go one more cycle with dino oil, or switch to Mobil1 now. How's your RC doing? Glad to hear that new cargo bar is working out OK. I'll have to check out the web site you posted for it. Thanks again, keep in touch and I'll do the same...
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    I dont own an RC, nor do I want to (CC eez for me!) But my father has a 1998 Durango 5.9 and it just started doing that EXACT thing- stalling after it was warmed up and driven, then cooling off for maybe 20-30mins and then starting fine again. A while back we had a wire fuse somwehere and ground out the battery, but it dissapeared. Maybe related problem? Maybe we should just replace the battery.

Anyways since im here I might as well ask: what is it exactly that persuaded all you to go with RC rather than CC or QC? My heart is set on a certain CC Sport 4x4.

Mailman: Had the EXACT experience- saw the save-a-load in the back of Truck Trend. good to hear from someone who owns one. Now I definitely have to get one to hold my skis down! Thanks!
    greg116: Greg the RC is right for me. I don't have any children and all I need is space for my two dogs in back. I like the smaller size and less weight for handling and I am willing to put up with less space in the cab. When I test drove the club cab and the RC together there was no comparison to me. The RC just handled better and that is important to me. I used to ride sport motorcycles and my dealer tried to get me on the Honda Goldwing, Suzuki Calvacade type of vehicle. They just didn't handle like a motorcycle to me, even though they were more comfortable. It was the same way with the RC and the Club Cab. But hey, that's just me. Enjoy your Club Cab, Quad Cab or whatever you decide to get as long as it's a Dakota!

The Mailman Delivers
This discussion has been closed.