Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Club Cab

Comments

• ready10ready10 Member Posts: 13
    My apologies. It was only my second time using this site (damn new guy, LOL). Didn't know you could get messages from all the forums. Thanks for the answer, by the way!
  • nitro92nitro92 Member Posts: 2
    hello,
      i currently just purchased a new dakota sport plus 4x4 with a 4.7 in it auto tranny, 3.55 rear end,heavy duty group, tire, handling also, and more. my question is how much hp would you gain by adding an air raid air filter .i know in the magazines they state increased hp and performance . but i think the best way is to hear from some one that did it to there truck and to get there honest opinion on it would i notice any improvement in the performence .also what about adding just a performance muffler by flowmaster . any other bolt ons that can help thanks ... rob from ct
  • nitro92nitro92 Member Posts: 2
    why doesnt dodge install the 5.9 in the club cab dakota ? it would be nice to get that extra hp and performance . dodge puts it in the quad cab , they should have no problems putting them in a club cab for those people that want it
  • ronslakieronslakie Member Posts: 58
    nitro92 - I would recommend that you join the Dakota Mailing List at http://www.dakota-truck.net/ they are really into the speed mods and have some 1300 members. Several on the list have the mod you are talking about as well as some that are similar. Further recommend that you join in the digest mode which consolidates messages and then provides them to you.

Ron
  • jimsixtjimsixt Member Posts: 5
    Just took delivery on an '03 club cab,4.7 5spd manual 2wd. The bucket seats installed do not have a release on the back. Other club cabs on the dealer's lot do. Chrysler and the dealer haven't provided a response yet. Since I have picked up such good info from the site already, thought I'd ask. Can't believe its the way its intended since the reach to the side release is so long.

Thanks
  • jimsixtjimsixt Member Posts: 5
    Received the answer to my problem last evening at the dealer. After they dug the strap Chrysler now uses as a back seat release out of its slot, all you have to do is pull the tab to release the seat.
  • lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    I've had my 03 Quad Cab SXT for a month now. 1,100 miles on it and the motor (3.9) is starting to loosen up. I had a Dodge van with a 318 in it and can't help but notice how mopar engines seem to run rougher than other motors. My primary vehicle (GM 3800 v6) is as smooth as can be. Can't hardly tell it's running at idle. On the 3.9 you can't manipulate the throttle to get it to stay at 1,000 rpm (with trans in Park). Seems to like either 600 or 1,500rpm but doesn't like to maintain rpms in between. This isn't a big issue, and I'm entirely satisfied with the truck. Just wondering if the Chrysler motors have a little healthier cam or something? Sure wish the 4 speed auto tranny shifted as well as the electronic 4 speed auto in my Buick. What's Chryslers idea behind no coolant recovery system? Guess I'll have to get used to checking the radiator like I did years ago. I realize that a little coolant jug isn't enough to help much but it's nice to be able to add coolant without opening up the system. The 3.9 has plenty of power for my type of driving. Curious as to why the 3.9 is only rated at 175hp when my Buick 3800 is rated at 200hp? What did Chrysler leave out of this motor?
  • lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    2001 Club Cab SLT, 4.7, Auto, LSD, Roll-N-Lock.

Installed a 2/3 drop kit from Hotchkis today. Now I can clean the windshield without a stool and my five year old grandaughter can get in and out without help. That's what I pointed out to my wife anyway!! Looks better too. Ride changed some but is not too stiff. Kit included four new springs and bump stops. I decided to go with Belltech shocks instead of Bilstein. A friend of mine told me that Bilstein shocks would be too "stiff" for my application. I'm not doing Pike's Peak this year. 8-)
  • raist101raist101 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced my '97 Dakota Club Cab with a 2003 (took possession yesterday) and have a question concerning the storage boxes under the back seat. My question is: should the storage boxes under the back seat have the rigid plastic covers like the '97 did? The dealer said no, but I'm sceptical of seating someone back there without them. The boxes have a lip and latch/hinge slots like the '97, just no covers. In the '97 I noticed the seat would slightly flex into the box if the cover was not on and someone was seated in the seat. I already have to go back to get one of the washer fluid nozzels replaced since it appears the detail crew knocked it off when waxing, I'm wondering if the same crew just didn't put the covers back in.

Thanks
  • haselhasel Member Posts: 64
    My 1999 Club Cab did not have covers on the storage boxes under the rear seat.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My 2003 Club Cab Sport Plus did not come with the aforementioned covers, either. In fact, I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    2001 CC no storage box covers
  • usaf52usaf52 Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2002 2WD club cab with the SXT package. What would be good snow tires for the 255/65-16 tires that are on this truck. Also what is the function of the bed rails some folks put on their trucks?
    By "bed rails," are you refering to pieces that mount to the top of the box sill? If that's it they are generally intended to be used to tie ropes to for securing items that may shift in the bed during movement.

What type of tire do you have on your Dakota? The Goodyear Wrangler SR/As that came on mine have surprised me by being very, very good this past winter. Of course, limited slip differential I'm sure helped, but last deer season I scaled a shear-icy road with them. I had my 650 pound ATV on the back, which helped, too. Later a four-wheel drive could not make the same hill!!

Regards,
    Dusty
    You answered the question on bed rails. That is what they are called. Thanx
    My truck came with 255/65-16 Goodyear Eagles with the SXT package.
    By the way, were you ground or flight crew on B-52s?

Assuming yours came with the Eagle LS tire, you might have a better or equal tire to my Wrangler SR/As. It is sometimes inappropriate to compare characteristics across different types of tire classifications -- in this case a performance tire (Eagle) to a truck tire (SR/As). The Bridgestones that came on my wife's Avalon were a performance tire and they were absolutely the worst wet, snow tire I've ever driven.

As a truck tire the Goodyear website seems to indicate that just about any other Goodyear tire will give better snow traction than the SR/As. So I don't know. A few days of snow driving will probably tell you if you want or need something a little more aggressive.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    George, Dusty, the B-52? Isn't that the one that was copied after my B-47? Well, that significantly dates me, does it not? How sophisticated we thought we were. What improvement could ever be possible over the mighty K Bomb/Nav system and the N-1 compass. We considered the WWII reciprocating aircraft as "seat of the pants" engineering. Well guys, time marches on.

Bookitty
    Dusty; went on several websites and the Bridgestone Dueller seems to be recommended highly for use as a snowtire.
       The"52" in my username denotes the year 1952, when I enlisted. I spent most of my time on board the best aircraft ever built, the C-47 (DC-3). The old Gooney Bird was introduced in 1935, and many are still flying today. She was a great airplane and could almost fly itself. The B-52 is the bomber introduced in 1954, put in service in 1955 and still flying today. It's been used in VietNam, Desert Storm and the Iraq conflict. The plane is older than the crews that fly her.
    The B-47. Wasn't that the eight engined monster that had the two JATOs on the wings? I can't remember the name they gave it, but I worked with a guy that was stationed in England that ground-crewed on those, I believe.

I like those "seat of the pants" bombers: B17, B24 (LB-30s or PB4Y2s to you Navy guys), B25 (PBJ), B26, B32s.

And the Douglas C47, or R4D in the Navy, which I believe was officially called the Skytrain in the Allied Aircraft Identification book. I think the C47 has been in service longer than any other aircraft. Brazilian Air Force was still flying them a few years ago.

Bests,
    Dusty
    The B-47 had 3 Engines on each wing (J47-9) Jato on each side of the Fuselage, could be wrong been a long time since I worked on one,also had 10 years on the J-58 for the SR-71. Hasel
    George, Dusty, Klaus wins a cigar. The B-47 had six J-47 (GE and/or Studebaker) jet engines three starboard and three port. It was capable of carrying two wing tip tanks JATO bottles on each side of the fuselage. One of the earliest bombers that could IFR (in flight refuel) and was refueled by the KC-97 a jet prop powered version of the C-97 aircraft. Guns (first .50 caliber and later 20mm) were placed only in the tail of the aircraft and operated by the pilot (second seat) the Aircraft Commander sat in the front seat within the canopy. The NOB (navigator/observer/bombardier) sat in the nose section.

Bookitty
    .......Now I know the aircraft. That was the swept-wing with a 3 or 4 man crew, I believe? Was it the Stratofort, or something like that?

I was thinking of the B36 Peacemaker made by Consolidated, which also had six engines and looked very much like a flying cigar. I think it was the largest aircraft ever to serve in the USAF, even bigger than the current B52.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    As a civilian family member who's father worked on radar systems for the Air Force, I've spent all my 53 years living next to bases. I've seen many of these aircraft either flying overhead or on static display at an air show. I also received a healthy dose of that era's defensive missles: Nike, Bomarc, etc. The B-47 was called the Stratojet and it had the external cockpit mounted on the "cigar" fuselage. The last one I saw (display) was at the old Castle base between Modesto and Fresno, California in 1995. They also have a SR-71 (not as big as I thought it would be).
    ...yes, that's the name of the B47. The B47 always looked more like a big fighter aircraft to me. Isn't this the aircraft that had the little wing support wheels?

The B36 is much more reminiscient of the B29 in shape, with the fuselage being very cylindrical in shape all the way from the nose to the leading edge of the its very tall rudder assembly.

You'd know one if you saw it.

Bests,
    Dusty
    Hey, I resemble that remark (:-)

Bests,
    Dusty
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    Sounds like you guys would love that old Jimmy Stewart movie...think it was called SAC.

Greg
    Greg, the movie was "Strategic Air Command" and Jerry Duty (Wing test pilot) and I flew the flying sequences shot at McDill AFB in Tampa, FL. Jimmy Stewart was an officer and a gentleman, while June Allyson was a "little spoiled, nasty b---h. The really tough flying was done by the camera crew who were in a B-47 sans canopy. I believe Major "Scorchy" Smith piloted that aircraft.

Bookitty
    There is a RB-47 sitting downtown Altus Oklahoma.
    Good movie. That was just on AMC not too long ago.

"Thirty-seconds Over Toyko" and "Twelve-O'Clock High" are two of my personal favorites.

Dusty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I used to be in SAC. I owned a RB-67 when I was stationed in Japan. ;<} rICK
    Should that not be a RB-66 ? correct me.
    No, it was a Mamiya (sp) RB-67 large format camera 6x7CM film. Just having fun with you guys (and gals). Rick
  • gjblegjble Member Posts: 23
    I was stationed at Boca Chica Naval Air Station
    between 1954 and late 1956. Late on some afternoons, a B-47 would make a low pass over our runway, pull up and disappear over the western horizon. Maybe this was Bookitty logging some hours ??

In Atlanta
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...could someone direct me to the Dakota Club Cab topic? ;-)

FWIW, I will gladly open a Dodge Dakota Owners Cafe if you want to share war stories. Let me know!
    Sorry Karen, just kind of got carried away. I actually liked my 1995 Club Cab Dakota 4X4 with the 5 speed and the 318 better than my B-47. Beside that, it was far cheaper to operate.

Bookitty (Norm)
  • gjblegjble Member Posts: 23
    It was subtle I'll admit, but I thought everybody knew the dialogue was leading up to comparison of operating expense betwenn a 7-47 and a 95 club with a 318 ,4x4 and a 5 spd.
         Thanks for the info Norm.

In Atlanta
         hope I'm not in trouble anymore
    I just assumed that you knew I was using that Mamiya RB-67 camera to take pictures of my 93 Dakota Club Cab. Sorry I wasn't clearer. Rick
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Nobody is in trouble. It was simply a gentle reminder. However, I'm serious about that Dakota Owners Cafe. Some of the other clubs have one and seem to enjoy it.
    2001 SLT Club Cab, 2wd, 4.7, auto, lsd, heavy duty cooling, 16' wheels, etc. 17,873 miles.
             Ordered 09/06/00
             Built 09/20/00
             Delivered 10/04/00

Problems with truck: Leaking trans. sensor
                             Windshield leak
                             A/C leaking water in cab
                             Battery died (13 months)
                             "Service 4WD" light
       All problems considered minor and have been corrected.

Additions to truck: Factory flares
                             Roll-N-Lock bed cover
                             Hotchkis 2/3 drop kit
       I'm happy with the performance and the build quality of my Dak. I think that the fact that the grey facia is molded from a solid colored material is good, but would look better if the color matched the vehicle. GM has been doing it for years. Must be a $$$$$ thing. Looking forward to at least another seven years with this truck. Unless I hit the Lotto!!!!

My beater '89 Mitsubishi pickup is getting the majority of the mileage on work days. Round trip is 60 miles. Mitsubishi has 220,000+ miles and has never left me stranded. The engine and transmission have never been "opened". I hope my Dak will be as reliable.

Dick :-P
  • steady1973steady1973 Member Posts: 1
    Is the club cab going away, dealer told me over the phone that only the regular cab and quad cab exist going forward. thanks.
    I thought I read that the future Dakotas would be built as Quad Cabs and Club Cabs, dropping the conventional cab.

This, I think makes sense since the Club Cab is more popular than either a Quad or conventional. Dodge would save tooling cost by reducing production to just two versions, and that might be enough to make up for the additional sheet metal, glass, and associated materials manufacturing costs. They would also amortise tooling quicker and be able to run their lines closer to max, which makes for increased utilization (productivity) bringing cost down.

I could see a Club Cab as standard version without a rear seat, then an option up to the Club Cab we know today with seating. There are some, like me, that bought the Club Cab more for the extra space than the passenger capability.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    Dusty, somewhere I heard that the Dakota Club Cab was going to be built with 3rd/4th door styling, which would preserve the bed space, but also allow easier access to rear seating. I had a '95 Club Cab and loved it. However, the Quad Cab suits my needs more fully.

Bookitty
    Yeah, that does sound familiar. I think that's what I read, too.

Bests,
    Dusty
  • blakdakblakdak Member Posts: 19
    Dodge has information on the 2005 Dakota on their web page. The extended cab does indeed have 4 doors.
  • rrehakrrehak Member Posts: 2
    Ditto to breaking one of the panels. I did the same and price was 252 for replacement, bought whole window from salvage for 125, now trying to figure out how to remove old window. Did you get yours done?
    Rich
  • rrehakrrehak Member Posts: 2
    How do you remove the rear extended cab window unit. I don't see any screws or clips. Has black trim and black silicone glue. Do you cut away, pry out or ? Anyone know.
    This is one operation I would strongly suggest leaving for those that are experienced. The removal isn't so difficult, but reinstallation calls for using RIM primer, Gurit-Essex Betawipe 4000, blackout primer, and pinchweld primer for re-installation. If not installed correctly the glass may not seal correctly or may not be installed solidly.

1. Remove all the the interior trim panels that contact the rear window.

2. Locate four (4) tabs on the outward side of the window frame.

3. Bend these tabs inwards towards the glass.

4. Using a long-bladed utility knife, cut the urethane rubber holding the window frame to the window opening fence from inside the cab.

5. Remove the glass from the outside of the vehicle.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • dakotajennydakotajenny Member Posts: 1
    i got a club cab..that's the bench seat behind the driver and passenger seats right..but you have to move the front seats up cause there isn't a back door to it..anyway..i got mine for $600 after my mini van drowned from hurricane isabel. it was brushed pink, with a paint brush and they wanted to get it off the lot. so now it's battleship grey with patriotic stuff on the back end of it. anyone here live in the hampton roads area of va?? that's where i am, i saw this website listed on the back of a guys dakota the other day, well it was www.sovadakotaclub.com but when i tried to go there it wouldn't come up. so i'm here. so as long as there happens to be club cabs sitting on car lots, you'll always find one somewhere. i look forward to hearing from someone in my area. oh, alot of people like grey cause there must be about 5 of us here in my town, ttfn dakotajenny
  • mrs_maggiedmrs_maggied Member Posts: 2
    What steps do I need to do, to better my gas mileage. I have a 2001 Dakota club cab with the 4.7L. It has about 65,000 miles and gets about 13mpg in the city. On the highway it gets about 16mpg. this is about the same mileage I get with my 72 Gran Prix with a 455. Shouldn't I be getting better mileage? I know a bit about cars, but my experience has been with models from '64 - '74, nothing with a "modern" vehicle. :confuse: I bought it used 1 year ago.
This discussion has been closed.