Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They keep lubing The Fence but I'm firmly on it until we can recover financially from the condo purchase.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sell the condo, sell the Miata, fire the nanny, buy the $40K Tribeca.
    If I did all that I could afford 2 Tribecas!

We need the nanny another 2.5 years at least, until the 2 year old goes to Kindergarden.

Neither one of us is willing to give up the condo.

The Miata would only go if Subaru built a B9 Scrambler. :o)

-juice
    Not to delve into personals, but is the nanny a full time live in? We all spend on what's important to us and skimp on other things.

As for the condo, do like our family: my folks live near the beach on the South Coast of MA, my in-laws summer on a lake in Maine. No need to pay for a weekend place!!
    She used to live in, now she rents an apt.

My wife works part-time, so we could get by without a nanny if both kids are in full-day school. But right now one isn't.

Once they're both in school full day, that could save us about one Forester per year in expenses, no kidding. Nannies are expensive.

Having the Miata allows me to keep my Forester longer. And it isn't worth anything now anyways. Maybe $4000? That doesn't even put a dent on a Tribeca loan.

What I'll probably do is combine the two mortgages once the nanny leaves, then we could afford a Tribeca, sure.

We're quite happy with the arrangement now, we have a backup care taker, a place to go on weekends. Just not the spare cash for a nice new SUV!

-juice
    She used to live in, now she rents an apt.

Sounds like you pay her too much!!

I get the situation. My wife works part time as well in order to be home for the kids in the PM. My daughter is finishing up pre-school and will start kindergarten this fall so that'll be one less bill. But now we're starting an addition so there goes that money!!

On topic - somewhere in all of this might be room for a car payment on a Legacy wagon or something like that.
    I could go on for hours, but being ethical is costly.

I pay worker's comp, state unemployment insurance, federal unemployment insurance, social security (her share and mine), medicare (her share and mine), health insurance, and paid vacations with airfare to Brazil included.

So no Tribeca right now! No sir!

At least the kids speak a 2nd language (Portuguese).

-juice
    Do you get the child care credit at least or can you take advantage of a pre-tax account?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I'd say you have a really good situation right now with the right priorities, and it would be silly to flush your $$ into a car! I definitely wish I spent less on cars and saved for a ski/beach condo. But watch me buy the next whiz-bang Subaru that comes out; it's a disease. Thankfully, I am not into the Tribeca so I can pass on that one for now. But if they came out with a Legacy GT wagon with H6/6-spd, I'd have a serious conundrum.... I can only hope it's way out of my price range!

Craig
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Bob

I'll bet on one of the models being a Legacy 3.0 H-6 with auto trans VDC and possibly with Nav included. That is available in the JDM, Aussie and NZ markets. The price probably would be a little more than my H-6 VDC...say + $1,500.

Dave
    Child care credit, yep. But that's only a small dent in the total cost.

For anyone looking for a nanny, my advice would be to get an Au Pair, it's *much* cheaper and the agencies do all the paper work for you.

But yeah, the kids are happy and bi-lingual, that's more important to me than having a 2005 model instead of my 1998.

We all love the condo and use it often. Wifey and I had a heart-to-heart about that and we both picked the condo over getting (much) nicer cars for ourselves.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    once the nanny leaves, then we could afford a Tribeca, sure.

But then you won't "need" a Tribeca. ;-)

One less person plus by that time Charlie should be in a booster instead of car seat and less "kid stuff" to haul around.

DaveM
    Oh, the irony!

Nah, we'll always let the kids each bring one friend to the beach (when they're old enough for overnight guests), so we need to plan on having a 6 seater.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Four kids will fit on the roof rack of the Forester or Legacy just fine. :-D

DaveM
    No, she's too good at untying the knots. ;-)

-juice
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    Ah, I see you (or your accountant and/or your lawyer) learned a lesson from Geraldine Ferraro's "Nanygate" dustup. BTW, I wonder if any other readers have a nanny? Do ateixeira's "dilemmas" match up with yours?
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    juice obviously need a full time nanny. he spends most of his time here, LOL !
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    You know, juice, if you get Tribeca w/DVD, you wouldn't even NEED a nanny! 35,000 times watching their Finding Nemo DVD and they're outta the house on their way to college, right? There's always video games if they get bored of Nemo.
    ...they'll be bilingual, too, 'cause they'll be able to speak whale. Who needs Portuguese?
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    i love this forum. How come Jon in CT is ok with these posts ? these relate to Future models ? LOL !
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    if we raise our children correctly, they will buy Subarus!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    in that most '06 Subies will be there. I doubt the Impreza will be there, as I believe that will be launched later in the summer. Plus, with the facelifted new Forester, tweaked Legacys/Outbacks and '06 Baja(?) being at NY, also introducing the facelifted Impreza would be a bad marketing move, in that one of those new vehicles will surely get the short end of all of the marketing "hoopla."

Speaking of the Baja: I will be very curious to see if the '06 model model shows up—and if it shows up, what if any upgrades will it receive? If it shows up as the '05 model did, meaning no upgrades of any significance, to me that's a clear sign that this vehicle is headed for the graveyard. If, on the other hand, there are some mechanical and/or feature or content upgrades, to me that's a sign that the Baja has a future.

My gut feeling is that Subaru, now that they've been down the (bumpy) path with the Baja, is trying to gauge how Baja owners like their vehicle. If after a few years of ownership, Baja owners would again consider a new, next-generation Baja, that could bode well for the future of this model line. If there is a small but loyal group of owners, that's something to build upon. Subaru should really ask these current Baja owners what they like and don't like about their vehicles, and go from there.

Bob
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Bob, I think it's a good strategy for Subaru to get feedback from current owners about the Baja. I think the Ridgeline is a good example of what Subaru should do if they plan to revive sales for the Baja. I'm not saying to potentially be a competitor of the Ridgeline but with market interest falling in these types of 'trucks', it is a good opportunity.

I think Subaru should extend the Baja and raise it up some. Make it more utility and less 'car'. In all honesty, everyone knows it's just a chopped up Legacy wagon with some minor rear designs. People are not impressed. I know someone who was really interested in the Baja but then said, it's not big enough and looks like a open back wagon. - all true.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    and saw the Ridgeline. thought i was at a chevy dealer when i saw this smaller avalanche clone.
    Swampy, your post was uncharacteristically long. ;)

BTW, I drove a Ridgeline yesterday. You can see my report over in the TH test team thread if you're interested.

And yes, you are correct, it does look much like a 7/8 scale Avalanche, only better. :)

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I doubt the Impreza will be there, as I believe that will be launched later in the summer.

I don't think the Impreza will be there because they would debut it overseas before they would in N. America, IMO.

-Dennis
    Yeah, let's get back on topic before Jon or Colin beat us with a stick!

A future Baja? I dunno. I think I'd rather see two other vehicle types first - a large sedan and a minivan.

Both have more potential. They could do a Big Baja but my guess is it would cost more than a Tribeca. A sedan and van could cost less.

-juice
    sure wish that minivan was here now
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    can you post a link to your ridgeline review. True to form, Edmunds offers no easy way to navigate to the TH test team thread.

Craig
    Same here swampy, especially if the price could come in lower than the Tribeca's.

If you look, you can get a Sienna for less than a 5-seat 4-cylinder Highlander! Much better value IMO.

-juice
    I'll do it over in the Cafe.

Bob
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I always wondered why on earth did it have to have only 2 rear seatbelts? I was actually considering it until I noted it had only seated 4. Every other Subie comes equipped for 5. I know the pass-through has to be to blame, but surely they could have gotten around it. Did they squeeze down the rear seat width or something?
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    So do many dealers I think. Local guy says that when seven passenger plans were first revealed, many feel they were lead to believe it was going to be a minivan. According to him, many were also very disappointed when it wasn't. He echoed much of what's been said here. On the front lines they watch loyal customers go elsewhere when their vehicle needs drift towards a minivan.
    A thought to ponder is the fact that Subaru might not be here, and certainly wouldn't have the presence it does were it not for thousands of customers choosing NOT to buy an SUV. Instead they bought into the philosophy and marketing that a capable AWD wagon was the superior choice.

Nicholas
    Baja has very little payload. 5 people and any cargo would overload it easily.

-juice
    From rsholland, "Subaru Crew - Future Models II" #16192, 5 Mar 2005 9:14 am
    NY should be interesting in that most '06 Subies will be there. I doubt the Impreza will be there, as I believe that will be launched later in the summer. Plus, with the facelifted new Forester, tweaked Legacys/Outbacks and '06 Baja(?) being at NY, also introducing the facelifted Impreza would be a bad marketing move, in that one of those new vehicles will surely get the short end of all of the marketing "hoopla."
    The NY Auto Show has been the venue for at least one Impreza World Premier (see the Wayback Machine). OK, maybe it was a "limited production" Impreza strictly for North America. But I see no reason why NY couldn't be the site for the World Premier of the 2006 Impreza 2.5 WRX.

Given that FHI chose not to introduce anything new at either Chicago or Geneva, I think there's an excellent chance SOA'll storm into the Javits Center with all guns blazing, with a mass premier of their entire remaining North American 2006 lineup - Forester, Impreza, Legacy, Outback (and maybe Baja). If people thought the Tribeca's premier in Detroit was "well attended" by the press, imagine the commotion such an outlandish idea would cause at New York, given that most of the press who weren't at Detroit will also want to see the already-premiered Tribeca for themselves, anyway.
    If people thought the Tribeca's premier in Detroit was "well attended" by the press, imagine the commotion such an outlandish idea would cause at New York, given that most of the press who weren't at Detroit will also want to see the already-premiered Tribeca for themselves, anyway.

Bob - Detroit is THE auto show event in North America, perhaps the world. If the press wasn't in Detroit, I doubt they'd be in New York.

But that doesn't mean that Subaru shouldn't use New York as a large opportunity for a new introduction. NY is still an important show.
    jon: link doesn't work for me?

I agree that especially if the 2.5T engine in the WRX is unique to the USA, that NY would be the ideal place. Really the last big US show this year.

Well, LA is moving up, to November, but it might be for sale by then.

SEMA is also November, and that would be an interesting place to debut a new tunable engine. But they could do NY and then SEMA as well.

Subaru scheduled a press release for NY, so they definitely have big news.

-juice
    Bob - Detroit is THE auto show event in North America, perhaps the world. If the press wasn't in Detroit, I doubt they'd be in New York.

I think you mean Jon. :)

Actually Jon has a point. Maybe they will do a really big splash at NY. I hope so.

As to Detroit, well SOA wanted 100% of the attention to be on the B9 Tribeca, so I can see their logic there.

Bob
    I hope they show the new Forester, the new Impreza engine, several new 6 speed models, *and* announce Tribeca prices.

-juice
    I think you mean Jon. :)

Sorry - I meant Dave.

:)
    did someone recently mention that a new honda pilot is due soon?
    From ateixeira, "Subaru Crew - Future Models II" #16208, 8 Mar 2005 10:35 am
    jon: link doesn't work for me?
    Sorry about that, two letters were truncated from the end of the URL. Try this: Wayback Machine.
    The Pilot was introduced for the 2003 model year. Honda history typically dictates a refresh in the 4th model year which would be the 2006 model.
    any word on what might be refreshed?
    Have no idea as what will be refeshed but typically Honda does a nose job and butt lift, a HP bump, new rims and standardizes some items. Perhaps there will be an SE Edition.
    Worked now, thanks.

That '98 was classic, the beginning of a new era for Subaru. It was a litmus test to see if a sporty model would sell.

Boy, have they ever.

-juice
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Last I heard, the redesigned Pilots would be in showrooms in fall 2005...my source was one of the major car mags, but I forget which one. I do remember thinking to myself, "hmmm...that's right after the Tribeca hits the market..."
    I would think Subaru would continue to focus on the B9 in particular for the NY show, since it is named for part of the city, after all. Perhaps they have something special up their sleeves for Tribeca, though I doubt it.
    Everyone's already seen it. They've shown it even in small town auto shows.

-juice