Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,753
    edited November 2011
    I think for the first couple of years, getting a good price will be difficult, regardless of which brand you choose, as they're making so few BRZ/GT86 cars. The demand will be great initially. In fact I expect ADMs will be common.

Bob
    ·
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think so, too.

I remember when the MR2 was brand new the closest Toyota dealer (Jim Coleman) had a sign that read "Bids start at $30,000". That was a few grand above MSRP.

I'll go to Fitz and use my Subaru Bucks, so I'd pick the Subaru version.
    ·
    edited November 2011
    From their global site:

http://www.subaru-global.com/home.html

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/motorshow/ms/2011tokyo/atc/index.html

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/motorshow/ms/2011tokyo/brz/index.html

The Advanced Hybrid Tourer Concept supposedly hints at where the next-gen Legacy and Outback are headed.

Bob
    ·
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    The ATC looks pretty good! It looks very similar to the Impreza concept, which mostly carried through to production but unfortunately lost some of the aggressiveness.
    ·
  • rblnrrblnr Posts: 124
    Like it and hope it survives recognizably.

Wonder how they'd 'Outback' it for the crowd that's concerned with backcountry/offroad -- seems a more cosmopolitan design.
    ·
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,302
    The ATC concepts looks great but we won't get in America because we don't buy wagons.

I think the next Outback may grow into a true 7 seater and the Forester is what will be left to fill in for the current Outback.
    ·
    That's exactly what surprised me - the ATC looks smaller, more hatch-like, less like a wagon. I also think the Outback should grow to differentiate itself more from the Forester. They overlap too much right now.

Subaru cannot just sell 8 different compact-to-mid wagons. The XV, Forester, Outback, and this all serve the same customers!
    ·
    Yeah, barely looks like a wagon, and don't see how they wouldn't sell it here. And I see now that it's quite a bit shorter than the Outback.

But yeah, that's a lot of hatches and wagons. Wonder how Subaru sees their lineup in 2014+
    ·
    should we be seeing some comprehensive reviews soon?
    ·
    I think so...hope so.
    ·
    This Australian link is hinting that Toyota may be considering another sports car above the the 86/BRZ (think neo Supra) that could also be developed with Subaru.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-considers-supra-revival-20111202-1o9pi- .html

So maybe a 3.6 or so H6 sports car?

Bob
    ·
    Bye-bye AWD?

I just hope Subaru figures out a way to get AWD on theirs this time.
    ·
  • not going to fit...engine too low and too far back.

I think I've gotten over the lack of AWD...I just think of it as a quasi mid-engine sports car. Take it as it is, a nice set of wheels...

John
    ·
    I mean on this Supra...may need AWD to match the GT-R with launch control.
    ·
  • asdf9asdf9 Posts: 26
    I agree! So invest in some damn good snow tires till the AWD version comes out right subaru? See I live in New England and would like to drive it year round. Very very nice I do say. Now I can kind of feel like James Bond.
    ·
    No fault bonus. I'll run with those last 3 words for the AWD.
    ·
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Debating waiting for this or jumping on an Impreza in Feb or March. Might have to stop by their NADA booth, see if they bring an XV with them.
    ·
    Not surprisingly, 2012 Impreza is a top-safety pick.
    ·
    I expect the US-spec Crosstrek to debut at the NY auto show, not Detroit, and go on sale in late summer or early fall.

At Detroit the US-spec BRZ will debut, and SOA will want all the focus on that car.

Bob
    ·
    I expect Subaru to show something new roughly every 6 months.

New models to come: WRX/WRX STI, Forester, Hybrid, Legacy/Outback, BRZ STI and Tribeca. Not sure which will come first, or what the order of debuts will be, but I do expect the Tribeca to be last as it's the least important model in their lineup.

Bob
    ·
    The NY show isn't too much trouble, provided I can haul my tail down to NYC. I'm in the Mid-hudson. My company isn't exhibiting there, though, so I'll probably have to pay to get in...and for the train.

Might just do that this year, haven't gone in a while. When you work trade shows, sometimes they're not quite as fun to attend. :shades:
    ·
    Forester traditionally shows up at the NY show, but given we've seen and heard nothing, I'm betting it won't be this year.

My fearless forecast:

NY 2012 - WRX and STI
    SEMA 2012 - BRZ STI
    LA 2012 - Hybrid
    NY 2013 - New Forester

Outback and Legacy are quite a ways off, maybe a show in 2014?

I don't think they will do another Tribeca.
    ·
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,926
    New forester not until the 2013 New York show? I remember a couple years ago they said they were going to 4-year model cycles (which they held to for the Impreza), so I would expect a new Forester for MY13, and then the Legacy/Outback for MY14. Is that not still the plan?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    ·
    Unless the XV is the new "Forester."
    ·
    No, it's not. There will be a new Forester. Just when, I'm not sure?

Bob
    ·
    Thought I read somewhere that the next Forester would actually use the Tribeca platform, so I could see the XV taking over the "small" SUV spot. Assuming that's accurate of course.
    ·
    Highly unlikely. The Forester has developed a strong audience, being the kind of vehicle it is, so I don't think that FHI will risk that by changing so dramatically.

The "rumor" I heard is that the next Tribeca and the next Toyota Highlander may be co-developed. We'll see.

Bob
    ·
    edited January 2012
    I know most of us wonder why Subaru is keeping this vehicle in the market, as it sells so poorly. Here's my take:

• Subaru sells the Tribeca overseas, and in most markets in which Subarus are sold. That's a lot of countries. I've also been told that Subaru sells more Tribecas in Russia than they do here. So the overseas sales offers some justification for keeping it around. BTW, all those overseas sales are US exports, as the Tribeca is only made in Indiana. So, as small as that may be, it's still good news for the American economy.

• Subaru needs a 7-passenger vehicle in their American lineup. Even though sales are marginal, it's better to offer the Tribeca than not to offer it.

• The Toyota Highlander rumor makes sense—if they can maintain Subaru's unique engineering. I'm hoping that from from the A-pillar forward, it will be pure Subaru, meaning using the 6-cylinder boxer engine, and that the Highlander (from the A pillar forward) will be pure Toyota (using their V6).

If this happens, I expect it around MY 2014.

Bob
    ·