Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Cruising at 1500 rpm? Remember that speedo is in kph, not mph; so they were not crusing at highway speeds.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah I meant around town...
    Must be on sale in Japan now, as here's a pix of the brochure and a GT DIT in the showroom.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37053325&postcount=79

Bob
    Put a version of that engine in the Forester and then tune it to run on regular fuel, and I might buy my first turbo Subaru.

I'd even be interested in a eco-WRX in that fashion - balanced power/efficiency.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Put a version of that engine in the Forester and then tune it to run on regular fuel, and I might buy my first turbo Subaru.

The new head cooling design might help make that possible. Hot spots limit compression ratio (and or boost) to accommodate the highest temperature cylinder. But note that the Forester xt with the old engine is already de-tuned significantly and still requires premium.

I'd prefer 87 octane for my XT! :)
    http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebPageID=17232&WebSiteID=282

As many of you know, both the current-generation and last generation US-spec Imprezas are not rated for towing. I wonder if the US-spec Impreza-based XV will be rated for towing, as per the Canadian model?

Bob
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    edited May 2012
    NO TOWING FOR YOU!!!

and we are going to keep the seat heaters to ourselves too!

Just be thankful you finally got the tilt/telescoping steering wheel we always had.

Sorry guys, but of the re-headed step children (after JDM/EDM and AUS), Subaru Mom always did like us best.
    Actually the AWP (heated seats, etc.) will be optional on the US-spec base Premium model, and standard on the Limited. No word yet on towing, however.

Bob
    :D

At least our prices are lower. :P
    Now you are just being mean. I'm telling Mom!
    I know....there is no going back for Subaru on those issues just having some fun. Still, I never understood why they spec'd the two differently in the past other than making every Canadian model AWP.
    Here's a press release:

http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_79294.pdf

It's also up on the JDM website.

http://www.subaru.jp/index.html

A few points:

• It has a square bore and stroke (86x86), same as the BRZ, so it's FA-based.

• 300 PS (296 hp) & 295lb/ft of torque

• The CVT has indeed been beefed up (torque converter and chains).

• The CVT does have 8 steps when the SI-Drive is in "S#" with the paddle shifters.

• 20% increase in gas mileage when compared to the 2.5 turbo.

• Suspension has been revised.

Bob
    NO mention whatsoever of a MT option. Does that mean something?
    edited May 2012
    My guess is, that when this engine arrives here, it will be in the WRX and maybe Forester XT. I'm sure the WRX will have a 6-speed manual available; doubt the Forester will, however.

If it's offered in our Legacy, I doubt a manual will be offered. The take rate of manuals in Legacys is about zero. I'm surprised they still offer it. I'm sure our 2.5GT was killed this year because no automatic was offered.

Bob
    They need to put that engine in:

* BRZ
    * WRX
    * Legacy GT
    * Forester XT (de-tuned slightly, for 87 octane)

Subaru sales are strong but note that it's just the Impreza, actually more than making up for drops in sales of other models.
    http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/dit/

Anybody translate Japanese?

Bob
    edited May 2012
    I'd be surprised if we see that drivetrain here in the Legacy. I think most Americans (in that segment) would prefer to see a 6-cylinder Legacy GT.

Then again, BMW is switching to turbo 4s, so who knows...

Bob
    And Ford trucks to turbo 6s that are flying off the lots.
  • colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    disagree... turbo 4 cylinders are doing well in compact and midsize sedans. see hyundai, kia, volkswagen, ford.. heck even buick.

I'm not writing off v6 power by any means. they sell extremely well for certain cars, no doubt. but I think turbo 4 will quickly become the de facto standard.
    Anybody translate Japanese?

Yeah...

300hp/300lb-ft with 25/35 mpg on 87 octane not for US consumption.

:D
    edited May 2012
    You may be right Colin, but Subaru has a lousy record in terms of selling turbo 4s in their larger cars. Maybe it's been not having the right recipe: no auto option in the LGT, for example; or the premium gas requirement and 3500-mile oil changes that their turbos require. If they can make a turbo 4 that's as easy to live as a non-turbo H6, then their chance of pulling that off is much better.

However you do raise an interesting point, as there have zero rumors about a next-gen H6. If this new 2.0 DIT is that good, could the H6 be headed for the scrap yard?

Finally, I'm really curious about their Subaru electric turbo rumor. The word is that much of the turbo's extra plumbing will not be needed with the electric turbo. Yup, real curious about this...

Bob
    edited May 2012
    How is an electric turbo not more closely an electric supercharger?
    Anyway, one would think it would make early compression possible and mitigate much of the turbo lag that most buyers seems to avoid.
    My understanding was that the new Leg turbo acheived that, but never got to drive one, as the local dealership didn't sell one in the past year.
    "How is an electric turbo not more closely an electric supercharger?"

I've been wondering the same thing.

Bob
    I'm more curious about what has changed in the last decade or so to make electric turbo/superchargers actually feasible.

They hit the aftermarket in the early 2000s and were a complete joke. I believe a few magazines tested them, and were unsurprised when they failed to do much of anything useful.
    I wasn't aware of that. I thought this was new technology.

Bob
    if they actually work I would be quite pleased to call them completely new technology.

seven year-old discussion on electric superchargers / turbos on nasioc.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    nothing inherently wrong with the idea. HR added a couple leaf blowers to the intake of a rat-rodded Corvette and did picked up some performance. Still, there's no such thing as perpetual energy. If they are used continuously, they will be an energy drain.

John
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    Still, there's no such thing as perpetual energy.

Very true. The idea seems to be space saving and integration (i.e., reduced piping, and ECU control of the turbo unit) without losing so much of the performance gain as a result of increased load on the alternator.

So, you put a turbo unit in-line with the exhaust that runs a generator (rather than piping to the engine), and then a second electric unit on the engine's intake. The only piping you need is for the intercooler unit; everything else is just wires.

Once the control of the turbo is electric, you can map it to fill in the weaknesses of the engine's own power curve because you're no longer relying on exhaust pressure to spool the unit. And yet, all that exhaust pressure isn't going to waste either, because it is being used to generate electricity to supplement the car's engine-driven alternator, thereby using energy that is otherwise wasted and keeping more power going to the place you need it: The wheels.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Generating electricity using a turbine in the exhaust will generate a lot of back-pressure and reduce the efficiency of the engine.
    In the future we'll see a KERS setup. The question is how to store the energy - batteries are heavy and expensive.
    edited May 2012
    From AN, 5/16/12:

Subaru said today it will expand its Lafayette, Ind., plant to boost production of the Outback crossover and Legacy sedan and wagon.

The $75 million, 52,000-square-foot expansion of the plant’s body assembly section is slated to start this summer and will increase the plant’s capacity to 180,000 vehicles during regular shifts, according to Subaru. The current limit is 156,000 units on straight time, the company said.

The expansion also is expected to create 100 full-time jobs, according to Subaru, a unit of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan.

The Lafayette plant employs 3,600, with more than 600 jobs added since 2009, Subaru said. It also makes the Tribeca SUV. Another line there produces the Camry sedan for Toyota Motor Corp.

The expansion confirms plans for more North American capacity, which Fuji signaled during a May 8 press conference in Japan.

Subaru recently scrapped a plan to build vehicles in China by 2016 and instead will focus on boosting North American output.

Besides increasing output at its Indiana plant, Subaru may increase North American production with a new vehicle line or even a new factory, Automotive News reported this week.

In 2011, more than half of Subaru’s vehicles sold in North America were assembled at the Indiana plant, which opened in 1987.

The plant produced 170,629 vehicles in the 2012 fiscal year, but daily and Saturday overtime shifts were needed to reach that number.

Another reason why Subaru has upped production in Indiana since 2010 is to counteract foreign exchange rates that hurt profits on imported vehicles.

Yasuyuki Yoshinaga, president of Fuji Heavy, wants the Indiana plant to build 200,000 vehicles a year by 2014.

“The expansion of SIA’s capacity is necessary to meet the growing demand for Subaru vehicles in the North American market,” said Tom Easterday, executive vice president of Subaru of Indiana Automotive, in a statement. “The success of the SIA-built Legacy and Outback is the result of innovative design focused on the needs of our customers, a strong reputation for quality and reliability and consistently achieving top safety ratings.”

Through April, Subaru sold 15,916 Legacys, up 12 percent from the same four months of 2011. Subaru sold 35,608 Outbacks during the first four months, up 2 percent from 2011.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120516/OEM01/120519894#ixzz1v8LY1pMZ

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    boost production of the Outback crossover and Legacy sedan and wagon.

Do they build a Legacy wagon in Indiana for export?
    Good question. Either they do or it's a typo.

Bob
  • rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    Any news on new Forester or anything else? Awful quiet here.
    New meaning 2013 or ALL new meaning 2014?

2013 is supposedly a carry over from 2012

2014 is new body, dash from 2012 Impreza, possibly direct injection on FB25 (or maybe a FB20-DI), CVT.
    Hope you're right about the DI, but I would think that would debut first on the WRX and/or STI, or even the Legacy and Outback first. My guess is DI will make it's way on to the Forester last; maybe at the next model's mid-cycle refresh.

Hope I'm wrong. So surprise me Subaru! ;)

Bob
    The Forester has been the guinea pig for previous Subaru engine changes.

Phase II SOHC - introduced 1999 (1 year before Legacy/Outback)
    FB25 - introduced 2011 (2 years before Legacy/Outback)

Pretty sure I read an internet article (so it must be true :) ), that MY14 (or whatever year for the new design) Forester was getting DI. Also, new WRX was getting FA20-DIT.
    I think the Forester gets engines early because they're made in Japan, rather than Indiana. :)
    Hope you're right, as they need to get DI here ASAP.

Bob
    I think the Forester gets engines early because they're made in Japan, rather than Indiana

The Forester....100% Japan.

Indiana cars.........engines and transmissions Japan.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The Forester may be first with new engines, but it is certainly last when it comes to new transmissions.
    edited July 2012
    Indiana cars.........engines and transmissions Japan.

[ You'll get a glimpse at the engine plant where the famous Subaru BOXER engine is assembled. ]

http://www.subaru-sia.com/25th/index.html

[ Subaru will hold its SIA 25th Anniversary Open House on Saturday, July 28. Visitors will be able to get “an up-close and in-depth look at the inner workings of” the plant– from the stamping presses and conveyors to the robots and engine plant where boxer engines are built, according to Subaru. ]

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/subaru-celebrates-25th-anniversary-of-indiana-plant-18- - 1279.html#ixzz20RVLBdfX
    engine plant where boxer engines are built,

The word was ASSEMBLED, not built. Like the sofas from China that arrive in a kit and are assembled here perhaps.

The window stickers on Outbacks show engine and trans parts from Japan.
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Been waiting "forever" for a direct injection engine in the Outback. My 1998 OB Limited 5 speed is still running great. Only has about 124,000 miles on the clock as we use it mostly towed behind the motor home (probably has 10,000 towed miles).
    edited July 2012
    Subaru is no longer selling the regular WRX, but only the WRX STI. Wonder if that's what we'll see here (and worldwide) for the '14 MY? If so, might they just drop the "WRX" label, and call it just an "STI"?

2014 is when the next-gen model arrives, and is rumored to be more upscale and Euro-like.

http://www.subaru.jp/index.html

Bob
  • rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    The Outback gets a nice cameo in the new Batman movie. Good to see Subaru marketing at this profile.
    Bob "interested" in a 2WD Subaru?

Did hell freeze over? ;)
    edited July 2012