Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    edited May 2012
    From AN, 5/16/12:

Subaru said today it will expand its Lafayette, Ind., plant to boost production of the Outback crossover and Legacy sedan and wagon.

The $75 million, 52,000-square-foot expansion of the plant’s body assembly section is slated to start this summer and will increase the plant’s capacity to 180,000 vehicles during regular shifts, according to Subaru. The current limit is 156,000 units on straight time, the company said.

The expansion also is expected to create 100 full-time jobs, according to Subaru, a unit of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan.

The Lafayette plant employs 3,600, with more than 600 jobs added since 2009, Subaru said. It also makes the Tribeca SUV. Another line there produces the Camry sedan for Toyota Motor Corp.

The expansion confirms plans for more North American capacity, which Fuji signaled during a May 8 press conference in Japan.

Subaru recently scrapped a plan to build vehicles in China by 2016 and instead will focus on boosting North American output.

Besides increasing output at its Indiana plant, Subaru may increase North American production with a new vehicle line or even a new factory, Automotive News reported this week.

In 2011, more than half of Subaru’s vehicles sold in North America were assembled at the Indiana plant, which opened in 1987.

The plant produced 170,629 vehicles in the 2012 fiscal year, but daily and Saturday overtime shifts were needed to reach that number.

Another reason why Subaru has upped production in Indiana since 2010 is to counteract foreign exchange rates that hurt profits on imported vehicles.

Yasuyuki Yoshinaga, president of Fuji Heavy, wants the Indiana plant to build 200,000 vehicles a year by 2014.

“The expansion of SIA’s capacity is necessary to meet the growing demand for Subaru vehicles in the North American market,” said Tom Easterday, executive vice president of Subaru of Indiana Automotive, in a statement. “The success of the SIA-built Legacy and Outback is the result of innovative design focused on the needs of our customers, a strong reputation for quality and reliability and consistently achieving top safety ratings.”

Through April, Subaru sold 15,916 Legacys, up 12 percent from the same four months of 2011. Subaru sold 35,608 Outbacks during the first four months, up 2 percent from 2011.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120516/OEM01/120519894#ixzz1v8LY1pMZ

Bob
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,481
    boost production of the Outback crossover and Legacy sedan and wagon.

Do they build a Legacy wagon in Indiana for export?
    Good question. Either they do or it's a typo.

Bob
  • rblnrrblnr Posts: 124
    Any news on new Forester or anything else? Awful quiet here.
    New meaning 2013 or ALL new meaning 2014?

2013 is supposedly a carry over from 2012

2014 is new body, dash from 2012 Impreza, possibly direct injection on FB25 (or maybe a FB20-DI), CVT.
    Hope you're right about the DI, but I would think that would debut first on the WRX and/or STI, or even the Legacy and Outback first. My guess is DI will make it's way on to the Forester last; maybe at the next model's mid-cycle refresh.

Hope I'm wrong. So surprise me Subaru! ;)

Bob
    The Forester has been the guinea pig for previous Subaru engine changes.

Phase II SOHC - introduced 1999 (1 year before Legacy/Outback)
    FB25 - introduced 2011 (2 years before Legacy/Outback)

Pretty sure I read an internet article (so it must be true :) ), that MY14 (or whatever year for the new design) Forester was getting DI. Also, new WRX was getting FA20-DIT.
  • colin_lcolin_l Posts: 591
    I think the Forester gets engines early because they're made in Japan, rather than Indiana. :)
    Hope you're right, as they need to get DI here ASAP.

Bob
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    I think the Forester gets engines early because they're made in Japan, rather than Indiana

The Forester....100% Japan.

Indiana cars.........engines and transmissions Japan.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    The Forester may be first with new engines, but it is certainly last when it comes to new transmissions.
    edited July 2012
    Indiana cars.........engines and transmissions Japan.

[ You'll get a glimpse at the engine plant where the famous Subaru BOXER engine is assembled. ]

http://www.subaru-sia.com/25th/index.html

[ Subaru will hold its SIA 25th Anniversary Open House on Saturday, July 28. Visitors will be able to get “an up-close and in-depth look at the inner workings of” the plant– from the stamping presses and conveyors to the robots and engine plant where boxer engines are built, according to Subaru. ]

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/subaru-celebrates-25th-anniversary-of-indiana-plant-18- - 1279.html#ixzz20RVLBdfX
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    engine plant where boxer engines are built,

The word was ASSEMBLED, not built. Like the sofas from China that arrive in a kit and are assembled here perhaps.

The window stickers on Outbacks show engine and trans parts from Japan.
  • toboggantoboggan Posts: 283
    Been waiting "forever" for a direct injection engine in the Outback. My 1998 OB Limited 5 speed is still running great. Only has about 124,000 miles on the clock as we use it mostly towed behind the motor home (probably has 10,000 towed miles).
    edited July 2012
    Subaru is no longer selling the regular WRX, but only the WRX STI. Wonder if that's what we'll see here (and worldwide) for the '14 MY? If so, might they just drop the "WRX" label, and call it just an "STI"?

2014 is when the next-gen model arrives, and is rumored to be more upscale and Euro-like.

http://www.subaru.jp/index.html

Bob
  • rblnrrblnr Posts: 124
    The Outback gets a nice cameo in the new Batman movie. Good to see Subaru marketing at this profile.
    Bob "interested" in a 2WD Subaru?

Did hell freeze over? ;)
    edited July 2012
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd pick the regular enclosed van.

That is unique, though. Look how short the bed is. You can carry cargo inside and outside.

Just got back from Brazil and 3 of the top 14 selling vehicles are sub-compact pickups. They are 2 seaters, basically, based on regular FWD cars about the size of a Fiesta (B segment). 500 kg payload, so 1100 lbs. Not bad.

Keep in mind they are CHEAP! You could buy three (!) VW Saveiros for less than 1/3rd the cost of a VW Amarok mid-size pickup.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,035
    Keep in mind they are CHEAP!

...and that's why they sell.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    The Fiat Strada sold there may potentially come to North America as a compact Ram pickup (Dakota replacement).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Not so sure this could fill the Dakota's shoes, but I'd still like to see it here. Seeing new ideas (like this) is always good. :) Hope they bring it over—or build it here to avoid the Chicken Tax.

Bob
    If NAFTA and Mercosul merge in some way, maybe.

Brazil is getting a lot of vehicles made in Mexico now, so who knows?

The Chevy Montana is similar, but it has a neat step just in front of the rear wheel arch. It's a neat design feature I'm sure Bob would appreciate.

That Fiat in the photo is the double cab, believe it or not. There is a smaller extended cab, and a tinier regular cab. 3 cab sizes! Wild...
    Would be nice to see a more fuel efficient XT model here, just tune it to run on regular (output is far less than the peak of some JDM models, so that should be possible).
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,677
    Diesel, diesel, diesel.... :shades:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    So you want a diesel XT that runs on regular gas? :P