Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    I own a company that installs "clear bras" on vehicles for area dealerships. It's a clear urethane film that is applied to the leading edges of your hood, fenders and mirrors as well as all headlamps and fogs. Great stuff and it will outlast a bra or deflector with no care required. You should be able to find someone in the area you live who can install it.

It's basically invisible and if you're conscious of the appearance of your vehicle, this is a great product. Not the cheapest - local price is $399 with unconditional 5 year unlimited mileage warranty - but definitely the very best.

IdahoDoug
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    trying to force the new deflector into place. I have to believe that my hood stamping is just a bit off, as problems I had with fit on the old one were amplified on the new one. I remember having to force the drivers side 'wraparound' to get it to align with the screw insert plug. And this is the spot that cracked last week. It was so bad on the new one that I had to exacto kniff the slotted hole on the deflector, and drill a new hole in the screw plug that snaps into the hood to make it work at all.

It is on - now lets see if it stays put.

Steve
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I love the Lund one on my Trooper. I had an OEM one on my Trooper before and it's made similar to the Subaru one (I think they both come from a factory in Australia) the Lund one mounts the same but is a bit thicker than the OEM one and has held up great except for the mountig hardware, some of the rubber grommets for the hood popped out so I got replacements.

-mike
    Put on my ARB Bumper/Bull-bar on the Trooper yesterday. Quite straight forward. The OEM bumper was about 18lbs and came off with 4 bolts. Very nice :) I should have some pics up shortly.

-mike
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    As promised in post 3639, here's the info on the front speakers for Impreza:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/index.html

If anyone interested in this has suggestions for improving it, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

utahsteve
    What an outstanding job! Excellent documentation.

Steve
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Are now installed so I am going to try post some pictures, also a couple of pics of the headlights sans, yellow reflectors.

I also took a couple of pics of the lights flashing, I left the bulb in the side marker yellow to illustrate the little difference between the ones I painted silver and a regular bulb.

image.

The last picture clearly shows the silver signal bulb.
      Cheers Pat.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    unbelievably clean. awesome stuff, Pat.

-Colin
    Thanks, have to say it was a bit nerve wrecking to hack large holes in my fenders, but I am pleased with the result, I figured If I was going to do IT I would use OEM style markers.

I did buy some aftermarket ones but they did not turn my crank at all.

The ones I did use are off of a Mitsu. Lancer.

Cheers Pat.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Mitsu parts on a Subaru? Aren't there laws against doing that sort of thing?

Nice job.

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subtle but nice improvement. It makes the stock headlights look like they are rusty.

Steve: nope, the turbo in the WRX is also a Mitsu unit. But gimme the JDM twin scroll turbo any day over that Mitsu unit.

-juice
    I think what makes you think the headlight rusty is that is the DRLs that are on and not the main headlight, Steve whatever it takes, the legacy has sidemarkers in every other market but here.

Had I been able to get Subaru ones here I would have used those, I looked at lots of cars with the OEM side markers and Mitsus. were the ones I liked so on they went.

Cheers Pat.
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    Looks good Pat!

Just an update: my writeup for the Impreza speaker install is now posted on scoobymods.com, hopefully it will be helpful information for somebody. I have definitely been helped by information here and on other Subaru sites. Thanks to everyone who contributes, you're appreciated.

utahsteve
    For drinks, that is. Woo-hoo! Finally a warm enough day to get some work done.

Got that plood installed that bit sent me, it looks absolutely schweet:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291761427

So now I have 3 cup holders. The 2000-2001 models had just that one on the dash. The 2002 models got the 2 cup holders in the center console instead. Now I have both, or 3 total.

I actually like the plood better than the old black trim. What surprised me was that the black was painted on, not solid. So it's also succeptible to scratching.

Any how, the wife likes it, plus now we have somewhere to put a baby bottle when we both already have drinks.

Thanks, bit. Also, removing the console the 2nd time, after doing the stereo last time, was much, much easier.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice,

Nice job on the plood. Now your Legacy looks like my Forester. ;-)

Did the plood come with an extra cupholder? That's pretty interesting.

Ken
    We are now equal on the cupholders since I have the 02 console, the one on the dash is very useful.

cheers Pat.
    I know, Pat, you were the one that pointed it out to me first.

Ken: the 2000-2001 has that cup holder in the dash. It's actually attached to the back of the plood trim. In the very back of the cup holder there is a knob that sticks out and rests in a hole deep near the firewall.

I guess the 2002 didn't need it any more, so they dropped it. The JDM vehicles still have just the single cup holder, BTW. The two in the console are for the made-in-the-US models.

-juice
    with one hand and drink our beer (oops, soda) with the other, while steering with our knee! ;-)

Steve
    On that 10 hour drive from CT last Turkey Day, even 3 cupholders are not enough!

-juice
    Looking at these for summer/track tires:

Toyo RA1s
    KDWs
    AVS Sports

Any others in the 245-45-16 size that would make good summer tires? I'm heading over this evening to a tire place to get pricing. Thanks.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    My wife and I are both considering it. She'll probably hang on to her OB one, maybe two, more years.

-Dennis
    Haven't sold any car I've had tinted, so I dunno. Can't hurt. It might add value to some customers, but not all.

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Well, on KBB they ask if you have "privacy glass" and it usually adds some to your resale value. But then again, it's a preference. Not everyone will like it, some will pay a premium for it.

Ken
    I have sold quite a few cars that I had tinted and to tell the truth it was never an issue for or against resale value, it really was a benign issue.

Cheers Pat.
    We'll likely go with the lightest tint anyway.

paisan - What's the best way to get a quote from Lee? I PM'd him two days ago. Should I send an email?
    BTW, there's an article in the current Sport Compact Car (or maybe last month) about R-compounds. I think they advised against running them on the street because of excessive wear. Maybe you can find it on their web page.

-Dennis
    I'm not too worried about that, more worried about heat cycling them.

You can e-mail lee leeberbs@iace.com is his e-mail addy. He just moved to hoboken so he only gets to check his e-mail 1x a day til he gets his cable modem IIRC.

I think he charges like $150 for a wagon but not positive.

-mike
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Dennis-
    Go with 35% at least for the rear windows.
    As for the front driver/passenger sides, you can get away with the 50% tint. They would be barely noticeable from the effects of the wagon's window galore.

-Dave
    I'm afraid of going with 35% because it might be too dark on a black car with anthracite wheels.

The P1's are darker than I thought they would be.

-Dennis
    would be the min. tint I'd put on a car. I'd do 35% all around, that's what I did on the SVX. If I had to do it again I'd do the 20% all around.

-mike
    Dennis-
    by contrast, the 35% should look lighter against the black car. Lee's GT is black (or is it blue?) with 30% tint I believe, and it didn't look dark.

-Dave
    The OB would probably benefit more with 35% in the summer with those hot hot hot leather seats.

-Dennis
    This is my GT wagon, front tint is 35%and the back is 20% do not know if this will help your decision.

Cheers Pat.

This was my Accord with 20% all around.

Cheers Pat.
    I have 35% and love it. I kind of miss it when I'm driving my wife's (untinted) car.

-juice
    Is the absolute first mod I do to any car when I bring it home, I usually try to co-ordinate it with the first day of ownership.

Cheers Pat.
    Although I can't view them from work. I'll have to check from home tonight (just a blank screen).

I got a great price from paisan's tint guy. Now we have to decide on percentage.

-Dennis
    Anyone has opinion on the Sti turboback exhaust (downpipe ->muffler)?
    The good, the bad, and the ugly...

-Dave
    There's a guy (Solo One) that lives in NJ with a black WRX that has a few STi bits.

I met him at a Woodheap meet and, at the time, he only had the standard STi muffler and maybe a mid-pipe. He was looking to get an up-pipe soon. His only complaint was that it was too quiet and not much louder than stock. Sounds good to me! :-)

Maybe you can contact him and see if he's done anything else to the exhaust.

His car is here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=294169&am- p;am- p;referrerid=767

-Dennis
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    How easy is it to install the skid plate on an outback wagon? Does the dealer skid plate include hardware and instructions?
    Thanks!
    Matt
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Matt,

I have not done it yet, plan to with this years tax return, but you can check out this link for info on someone who installed front and rear skid plates. From the sounds of it, they do include instructions and hardware.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c0e766fe158cf75- 5433c9ae801d85adf&threadid=1075&highlight=skid+plates

Mark
    Well finally settled on tires for the SVX. Picked up a set of BFG KDW in 245-45-16 for $570 mounted and balanced :)

-mike
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    It's very easy to install on the '00+ Legacy & Outback. Yes, instructions and hardware are included. Remove 4 nuts, position protector, install 4 nuts. Takes about 11 minutes - 1 minute to crawl under, 1 minute to crawl out, 2 minutes to find the wrench you misplaced, 1 minute to crawl back under, 5 minutes to install, 1 minute to crawl out.

DaveM
    Matt: on the Outback, the rear diffy protector is easy. 4 bolts on the side, basically.

On my Forester it's a little harder because you have to move the exhaust pipe out of the way for access. Supposedly you do not have to do this with the Outback.

-juice
    Just 4 nuts (2 on the back, 2 on the front) for the '00-'03 Legacy & Outback. The '95-'99 Legacy & Outback, Impreza and all Forester are a little more difficult (4 bolts w/ spacers for the sides plus 2 nuts in the back) and you need to pry the diff forward a little to slip the protector between the diff and cross member; still not too hard. Like juice said, you need to move the exhaust on the Forester (I think the Impreza too).

DaveM
    I like your description. The "forgotten tools" method is usually how I work as well!!

Steve
    Oh, you're the DaveM on nasioc. :-)

-Dennis
    Apparently there's another Dave here. ;-) DaveM was already taken. :-(

DaveM
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for the info. I assume most folks are talking about the Subie Diff plate - correct? I saw one for $45 online somewhere.
    I also saw in the post from Mark (thanks!) that the installed skidplates (front and rear) are from Primitive Racing and this is $315 for the set! Should I bother getting these for moderate gravel road travel (with those unexpected bumps!) or is the Subie plate adequate?
    Also, does Subie make a front skid plate??? Haven't seen one online anywhere.
    Thanks!
    Matt
    I think they did back in 1998, but it's not sold any more.

Primitive's are good, but only you can determine if it's worth the money.

If I find the time I'll make my own, but where to get the scrap metal, I dunno.

-juice