Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• silverx10silverx10 Member Posts: 1
    Now I know that it was covered a couple of pages back, but this is still eluding me. I recently purchased a couple of things for my car, and one of them was the electrochromatic auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass. I followed the instructions to a T, and needless to say, I couldn't find the wire in the overhead that it said would be there when I released the maplight assembly. There are two wires connected to the harness, and neither of them has the required connector to connect to the mirror. Can anyone tell me where to find this phantom wire? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • alaskanwillalaskanwill Member Posts: 28
    For some reason, I've been having trouble with info regarding this, although it would seem like a major spec on short-throw shifters.

TWM Performance offers a Subaru short shifter that is actually shorter than stock - according to their website (which has side-view pics, unlike other shifter sites) switching to their shifter reduces the shift height by about 2". Is the TWM the only shifter that does this? It seems like Cobb, Kartboy, and STI shifters all alter the thisftyer throw without actually shortening the shifter. Am I right on this?

It seems to be that everybody upgrading their shifter would want a nice, stubby Mazda or Audi-type shifter, so why isn't every short-throw like this? Is there a disadvantage to shortening the whole shift lever?
  • fj60fj60 Member Posts: 28
    IMHO, the Legacy STI short throw really should be called a medium throw at best. I was expecting the shifter to feel like (or come close to) the WRX STI shifter. It does not. I'm unsure about the effects of changing the height of the shifter, but you'll need to go aftermarket if you're looking for a shift throw that is significantly shorter than stock.

FJ60
  • fj60fj60 Member Posts: 28
    I recently had the ProDrive axle-backs installed on my 2005 GT. I notice the difference every time I start the car. Nice growl without sounding like my neighbor's WRX with the coffee can-diameter exhaust tip. I highly recommend this upgrade.

FJ60
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The STi 5-speed Short-throw shifter from Subaru doesn't change the height of the shifter, it changes the whole entire linkage with stiffer bushings, and changes the geometry of the linkage to provide shorter throws.

The other aftermarket "short" shifters simply make the shifter rod shorter which places it further from your reach and makes it shorter throws simply because the rod is shorter.

If you look at something like a rally shifter they are very long rods but very short throws. This makes it quicker to shift cause you aren't reaching to the floor to reach the shifter, although they look cool at meets!

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    According to an SOA press packet (a loose-leaf binder that went into great detaiI as to the specs and upgrades of the '06 models) I picked up at the Baltimore car show, the '06 WRX now comes with the short shifter standard. I know the shifting in my new WRX is pretty precise, and not rubbery at all. The shifts seem short and precise, but they're not ultra-short throws. I like it a lot.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Wow I've been gone a while. :(

Congrats! I may actually be down in the DC area this friday picking up a 98 Legacy GT 5MT since my bonus was less than expected and the GTO out of the picture for me.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yep, a black '06 WRX Limited wagon.

Pics can be found at Edmunds Carspace site: here.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You don't want a shift lever that's 2" shorter, it'll be a stubby knob sticking out of the shift boot, you could hardly reach it.

Remember that you also give up leverage, so shifting becomes more difficult, not easier.

-juice
    Yeah I thought of the leverage issue - I won't have trouble reaching it due to long arms. I just ordered it off ebay, so I'll let you guys know how it works out.
    So I finally got the TWM short shifter installed, after some mild drama getting the metal ball into the plastic socket (heat gun to the rescue). Reaching it is no problem at all; I think it's more comfortable than the old shifter, because I can leave my elbow resting on the armrest while I shift. However, Juice was right about the leverage - shift effort has increased. The feel is also notchier, although I have heard this is true with other short-throw shifters as well. Overall, in terms of shifting performance I'd say it's a wash and would not recommend it.

The change in appearance is minimal - I may upgrade the knob as well to the Subaru/MOMO item available on current WRXs.

For comparison, I've been driving my friend's 2001 A4 2.8 while I've been housesitting for him. That shifter is a DREAM - silky smooth, nice appearance, huge spherical knob and just the right height. Those Germans know how to make a shifter.
    Anyone with an older Legacy who's interested in upgrading the appearance should try to aquire some 17" rims from a current Legacy, IMHO. Check out photos of my car in the Subaru Crew pictures forum.
  • jim235jim235 Member Posts: 47
    I'm planning to factory order an Impreza 2.5i Sport Wagon and I'm trying to decide on options. The regular sound system is about the worst I've heard in any car and I was trying to decide whether to order the 'Upgraded Speakers, Tweeters and Subwoofer/Amplifier' or get the stock speakers and have an after market system installed later. The upgraded Subaru sound package would cost $377 factory installed. I've heard the upgraded sound package in an Outback Sport SE and while the sound wasn't bad it wasn't great either. How does Subaru's upgraded system compare to a really good after market system in the Impreza? Can anyone recommend a much better aftermarket setup that would fit relatively unobtrusively in an Impreza?

I also have a 2001 Outback that I ordered with a spoiler because forum members complained about dirt accumulating on the rear window. The dust deflector was not found to prevent this effectively but the spoiler was found to greatly reduce the problem. I also found it worked very well and was glad I opted for it. Now that I'm getting an Impreza Sport Wagon I was wondering if the same circumstances apply. Is there a problem with dirt accumulating on the rear window? If so, is the spoiler more effective than the dust deflector at reducing the problem? I have no interest in adding a spoiler unless it is useful in helping keep the rear window clear. Any input would be much appreciated.
    In your case, I would go aftermarket. The premium sound package is only a slight improvement. You have many more options in the aftermarket, and to top it off it'll probably cost less.

(I've had both sets of speakers in my Forester, BTW)

I would get the spoiler, the dust happens to all wagons, including our Forester and our Legacy.

-juice
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Want to upgrade my tires on my 05 OBXTL. (225/55/17) Looking for a summer tire or all-season with good dry and wet traction, but without breaking the bank. I have a set of tires for winter.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I agree here with juice, go aftermarket for stereo equipment. The upgraded speakers from Subaru are still a joke as far as speakers go, the Subaru amp isn't bad but again you can do better afermarket, the Bazooka tube amp comes to mind, not bad for not a lot of money, and streets ahead of the subaru one.

Cheers Pat.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions for aftermarket systems? I wasn't sure how much interior modifications/labor would be required to fit aftermarket speakers in tight fitting body panels throughout the car.

Is the Spoiler still a more effective way to reduce dust accumulation on the rear wagon window than the dust deflector that Subaru sells as an option? Regards, Jim
    I'm planning on ordering a 2006 2.5i Impreza Sport Wagon shortly but have been trying to find out what, if any, modifications Subaru has planned for the 2007 model. If there were any significant improvememts planned (like a better transmission, H6 engine, side curtain airbags) I'd put off the order until the 2007's were available. Is there any information anywhere on what is planned for the 2007's?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I have no experience to offer on the dust deflector, but I can tell you that other than looking good, the spoiler probably would disappoint you where dust is concern.

The most effective is the rear wiper that comes standard ;)

Aftermarket system. Interior modifications/labor is minimal, if not none.
    You may need spacers for the speakers.
    Do a search over at nabisco or scoobymod. You should be able to find helpful how-tos :)

-Dave
    They're supposed to add an aux input for the stereo. We don't know much more than that. It just got a new engine this year, so I don't expect anything major.

Stereo - if I were going to swap out the entire head unit, I think I'd go for something with integrated Navigation. Panasonic makes a few for $1600 or so. But I want NAV so that would be two birds with one stone.

The speakers aren't hard to get to. I've changed all four speakers on my Forester.

-juice
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I've used Crutchfield for all my aftermarket stereo upgrades. They know what fits in just about every vehicle, and have all the wiring harnesses and installation kits. Rob M.
    Thanks guys for all the info.

On this factory order I'm doing all options are at factory invoice. Eliminating Subaru's upgraded speakers, tweeter and subwoofer saves $377. Eliminating the Spoiler saves $237. I'm still debating on the Fog Lamps ($257); they seem pretty small and I'm not sure how much benefit they would provide. The large ones on my 01 Outback seem to only make a marginal improvement in fog, rain, snow. Any input?

Also are there better aftermarket cargo tray ($46) alternatives or is the Subaru one the way to go to protect the cargo area? I was also planning on ordering the Rear Bumper Cover ($39).

I was planning on getting factory Splash Guards ($90) to help protect the paint from rock/gravel chipping. Are they effective as other alternatives? Would they hinder clearance in deep snow?

I called local stereo shops and was told that replacing the stock system with a quality (but not top quality) system would run about $1000-$1500. Are any of the stock components worth keeping and incorporating into a new system?

Regards, Jim
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    called local stereo shops and was told that replacing the stock system with a quality (but not top quality) system would run about $1000-$1500.

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

You only want a HU and 4 speakers :confuse:

Keep the stock HU and look for a good set of speakers that requires 5 watts or less to drive and a RMS of 30 watts or greater you should be good.

Also are there better aftermarket cargo tray ($46) alternatives or is the Subaru one the way to go to protect the cargo area?

Go with the Subaru cargo tray.
    Aftermarket? Weathertech comes to mind, but it won't be $46.

I was planning on getting factory Splash Guards ($90) to help protect the paint from rock/gravel chipping. Are they effective as other alternatives? Would they hinder clearance in deep snow?

Jim... you worry too much :)

I'm still debating on the Fog Lamps ($257); they seem pretty small and I'm not sure how much benefit they would provide.

If I'm mistaken, the fog lamps are Hella Micro DE. Those little thing puts out good light.

-Dave
    One negative effect of the splash guards is that snow gets severely caked in there between it and the tire, so much so that snow/ice will sometimes follow the contour of the tire almost all the way to the ground. You can hear the front tires scraping the buildup when you go around corners. However, I haven't driven my Subaru without the splash guards, so I can't attest to any negative effects not having them might cause.

As for the stereo, OEM is a ripoff - go aftermarket. Get something with a front aux input, because if you're serious about music and you don't have an iPod already, you will soon. The key spec on speakers as you shop will be efficiency (unless you get an external amp) - expressed in dB (I think), get something over 90.

Oh, and don't get the spoiler, they make your car look like it belongs to a teenager IMO :)
    Actually I was leaning toward a HU with CD and MP3/ipod capability, external amp, new front rear speakers, tweeters and subwoofer(s).

I guess I'll stick with the fog lamps and cargo tray.

I'd rather go without the splash guards unless they help significantly to protect the paint from rocks being spun up by the wheels. As another Alaskan noted they tend to accumulate and pack in snow in the winter.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Jim,

It sounds like you have a plan for quite an audio system, hopefully your $1500 budget will be enough! It's a subject near to my own heart as I have, I don't know, maybe $3k-4k of carfi gear including labor in my Evo.

What sort of subwoofer are you planning? If you want a simple plug-in type, I would use an Infinity BassLink-- fairly impressive for what it is; much better than the Bazooka tubes I've heard.

Here's what I'd try to fit in your budget:

- Decent head unit with mp3 playback: $199 - 299 (I like Clarion)

- Decent 2-5 channel amp: $250-600+

- Good front door speakers: $100-200+

- Subwoofer: $250-400 for a powered model, less for a bare sub if you are using external amp and building your own enclosure.

I would get rear door speakers last; the Impreza only uses 4" back there which suck even if upgraded, and honestly, you should have most of the sound coming from the front doors anyway. The stock rear door speakers will be good enough for a long time.

Conversely, the front door speakers are by far the most important component in your whole system. Get something that you like; I would suggest auditioning speakers at your local shops but if you want to buy something online (like crutchfield) without listening to them first, just ask what the return/restock policy is and send 'em back if you are unhappy.

I'll post about my system later if you're curious.

~Colin
    For $1500 I'd keep the stock speakers and buy one of these:

But I'm more in to features, vs. sound quality.

-juice
    do you have something against the "reply" button? you can change the title if you want, but you're single-handedly unthreading the semi-threaded discussions. :P

I don't need navigation at all here in Wichita and I see Jim is in Fairbanks so I suspect he doesn't value it much either. I have used a GPS before as a gee-whiz thing and I do find value in them when hiking or riding dual-sport bikes in the hills.. but in this case, I think that's $1500 poorly spent. :)

~c
    Used mine last night and found a new way to get to Bob's house when I went to pick up the trailer.

Even if you know the route, you can relax and not worry about missing a turn because it prompts you. So it's not all about getting directions, it's so that you can enter a destination and basically sit back and relax.

-juice
    I'd enjoy hearing about your stereo system. Wish I had the money for more but $1500 is about my limit. A NAV would be nice for the trip back but wouldn't be much more than an expensive toy here in Fairbanks - even assuming that they now have good maps for this area. When I checked GPS maps for the area a couple years ago they were extremely crude and out of date. A really nice sound system is all I really need/want. I'll probably pick the car up in Portland and drive it back. It would be nice to have it installed in Portland or Seattle area but if there were any problems later it would be too hard to deal with them from 2600 miles away. There are about 5 places here that specialize in car audio systems and I was planning to visit them all and audition compoments. Still hard to know how they would sound once they were installed in the car though.
  • rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    I agree. I'd be all over a nav preferably like the one on the acura RL with real time traffic monitoring and zagat restaurant guide.

We do a lot of road trips to different state parks etc. It would help finding top tier gas locations and restaurants in a new town.

I've been driving the OBW on ATV trails lately and will soon have to replace my tires. Any ideas on tires that have a good mix of on and off road performance? Oh and H-rated, all the tires I've found are from Q to T rated.

Eric
    What is nabisco? Do you have a URL? Thanks.
    Unfortunately we're not allowed to link to other forums directly, but if you google 'north american impreza' ;) you'll find what you're looking for. Eric
    Are you much of a do-it-yourselfer? Car audio is not too difficult but I'm not sure if you would want to do a lot of learning on a brand new car. The reason I ask is that when I price out individual components, $1500 seems like a generous amount to get fair quality components for all of the things I mentioned in my first post. (Someone mentioned Crutchfield-- they are great, especially their after-the-sale support and included wiring/disassembly guides, but they are pretty much right at MSRP and thus more expensive than other sources.) If we dedicate a chunk of that budget to labor, say $400, that makes it quite a bit harder to get the whole system done.

~Colin
    I think this old Imagestation album still works.. there is a shot of the dash with an older receiver in it and also a picture of the trunk. I should really get some better pictures.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286502791

Here's my system, what it listed for, what I paid, and about how old it is. --I have kept re-using some stuff since I got seriously into carfi in the mid-90s. :D

Receiver: Clarion DRZ-845MC ($649 list, ~$280 greymarket, '04 model). It has a bunch of inputs and outputs but the big reason I bought it was when it was new, not every deck supported mp3/wma. But none of them except this one had internal flash memory and the ability to rip audio cds to it in wma format. Unfortunately, it is only 96kb in HQ mode which definitely results in harshness that most critical listeners can hear, but it sounds better than FM radio. I play conventional or mp3 cds in it or connect an mp3 player via the auxiliary jack (which, sadly, is rear-facing and RCA format, so I have a RCA-to-miniDIN cable running under the dash).

In dash EQ / line driver: Audio Control 4.1 ($225 list, $150 from eBay new in box, '98 model). The current model is the 4.1i but I looking at the features, I don't see what the difference could be. It has a parametric EQ for the subwoofer range (40-80 Hz adjustable) and fixed EQs for 125, 500, 2k and 8 kHz. I only have modest tweaks on it and don't use any tone control on my receiver, but it steps the signal up to 9 volt RMS / 13v peak, which makes sure that a very clean, very strong signal is passed to the amplifiers.

Front & Sub amp: Precision Power PC4100 ($899 list, $649 from soundcity, '97 model). It's a behemoth measuring over 27" long and during large peaks can draw 50 amperes at 12 volts dc. Rated at 4x 100 watts RMS in 4 ohms or 4x 200 at 2 ohm so it's an 800 watt amp. I have the rear channels bridged to provide 400 watts mono to the sub and the front 100 watt channels go to the front doors. It has a built-in crossover so I use that, I think it is set somewhere around 150 Hz.

Rear amp: Precision Power PC250 ($249 list, $150 from eBay new in box, '97 model). It's a little guy, only 2 channels doing 50 watts at 4ohm / 100 watts at 2 ohm. I use it with the gain turned down fairly low to power my rear speakers. It also has a built-in crossover too but it's a lot cruder than the big amp. I think it is 90 Hz fixed; you just plug it in one way for bass or the other way for treble.

Capacitor: I think it's only wired into the big amp; that's all that would need it. I have a Memphis 1 Farad capacitor which would shock you silly if improperly discharged but it helps a lot with large current draws. Even still, the system will definitely dim the headlights and dash. LOL. For the most part, a capacitor is a capacitor, so I picked this one because it matches the gunmetal grey amps fairly well.

Front door speakers: Memphis MC-65 ($149 list, $110 from local carfi shop, '04 model). It's a 6.5" coaxial with a tweeter than can be aimed, so both of them point up at the driver's head. Good sound for cheap; I liked them better than most of the speakers costing twice as much. I did hear something I liked better at the $600 price point, but decided to pass. I will probably go big someday, something like this with custom lower doors to handle it: http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/mobile/360.php

Rear deck speakers: JBL GTi 525 ($129 list, I think, '97 model). These were in the doors of something I owned way back when; honestly I'm not even positive what vehicle they came out of. They sound great and being a 5.25" doesn't matter for rear speakers, it's hard to distinguish midbass and you can hear the much louder front speakers quite well. They have an angled tweeter on a coincident source; the midrange cone actually has a hole in the middle and the tweeter is in the center. Fancy stuff back then. :) I had my stock rear Evo speakers until one of them melted, forcing me to dig in the closet and come up with the old JBLs.

Subwoofer: single JL Audio 12w3 ($299 list, $250ish from local shop, '04 model). It's a high quality 12" woofer that can easily handle the 400 watts being provided. The spare tire and jack mounting bracket was removed from the trunk and a custom fiberglass tub was built to accommodate the woofer. The floor of the trunk was raised a little less than 2" to wire the amplifiers and cover the top of the sub enclosure. The trunk was about $700 labor and since they were doing that much, I let them install the rest of the system. Since then I have replaced the receiver and rear speakers myself.

How it sounds: It can play any sort of music well but obviously with a large sub it is particularly good with hard rock, rap and dance music. It isn't really that loud outside of the car; I've had it up ridiculously loud in the car before and while the backseat passengers are getting a pretty good massage, it doesn't travel outside all that much which is definitely a good thing. I consider it a good starting point since I plan to keep my Evo for a while. Subjectively, I would say it is better than most hobbyist systems I’ve heard but not even close to some show cars. It is clean and loud, but not as accurate or smooth as my home stereo which mostly is the fault of my budget front door speakers. However the home stereo doesn’t have to overcome road & exhaust noise, either. :P

~Colin
  • Hi y'all - Before I spring for the $$, I thought I'd run this by this awesome forum, which I haven't used in a while...

Anyway, I am planning on putting Goodyear Assurance TripleTred 225/60R16 97H tires on my 2000 Outback. The reviews for these tires are generally pretty good, but I was wondering if anyone here had any comments. Quite honestly, I am overwhelmed by the options. Basically, I am looking for high-quality, four-season tires (well, Texas, so only two seasons, at most) that are a tad less noisy than the stock tires. Any help appreciated. Thanks so much. Cheers!
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I put a set of Uniroyal TigerPaw Touring T rated tires on my '00 Outback back when I had it. Priced decent and performed fine, and were quieter than the OEM's.

Just put a set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A T rated on our '02 MPV. They are priced better than the Goodyears and have gotten decent reviews on TireRack.

-Brian
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Got them and love them
    02 outback great in rain and snow ,no difference in MPG,
    no noticeable increase in road noise .My outback also likes to go around corners and winding roads much faster now .
    the best part 80k mile treadwear warranty
    With my luck, the moment I buy 80k mile tires I'll get a blowout in the sidewall and have to change all four. :sick: Good luck with them.
    I'm thinking of getting front and rear strut tower braces for my 00 OBW to help reduce chassis flex when I go muddin'. The ones I've found are cobb tuning and cusco. Both are pretty close in price; cusco a little cheaper. Any recommendations or other choices to consider? Thanks Eric
    But don't you want flex when you go off the beaten path? In fact, my Jeep buddies would disconnect their sway bars when they went.

-juice
    Exactly, you don't want thicker sway bars because you want more independent movement of all the wheels, but strut tower bars increase body rigidity when going on rough roads. Eric
    http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/16/cobb-tuning-takes-wraps-off-supercharged-suba- ru-b9-tribeca/

Still ugly, but should get out of its own way with more aplomb.

~COlin
    I think I could warm up to that look. Maybe instead of putting the logo in the center shnoz, it could go above or below it like the flat mercedes one. Eric
    I like the black mesh inserts but I would have gone one step further and removed the chrome surrounds from the grille as well.

320hp sounds nice, but I bet that thing would guzzle the premium. I'd be surprised if you could manage 16mpg if you drove like you're supposed to. ;)

-juice
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    This looks like the place to ask. I tow an 1800 lb trailer with my 2004 X Forester. Let's just say, I have managed to shorten the life of my OEM clutch.

Does anyone know if I can put the heavier STI clutch on the X? I can't get an answer anywhere. I have looked online for after market clutch info and no luck on anything after 2002 models. It appears there is less after market stuff than on earlier models to me.

I am also going to put the load leveling struts on it. I noticed that they are standard equipment in Australia and that they have a low range transmission in theirs. If I had had that perhaps I wouldn't need a clutch now...

Please help.
    ACT makes aftermarket clutches for Subies, but I'm not sure if they fit yours. They made fitments for earlier models, as you mentioned.

Load-leveling struts are sold on the Forester LL Bean right here in the USA, but someone looked up the price and it was painfully expensive, at least the list price. $200 plus each IIRC.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm trying to collect a few real world stories where people have had a warranty repair claim denied because of a mod. Here's the link:

My Mod Voided My Warranty!

Second-hand stories are fine, but first hand accounts would be terrific. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I'm not sure if you can install an STi clutch on a Forester. If I recall correctly, the Forester and most other Subarus use a push type clutch whereas the STi uses a pull type (or the other way around).

Have you tried looking at aftermarket clutches like ACT? I know that back when I had a Forester, they had kits that were compatible with the Impreza/Forester line.

Another thought would be to see if a Forester XT clutch could be used. I believe the entire drivetrain on the XT is strengthened compared to the naturally aspirated models.

Ken
  • subi4obssubi4obs Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for beginning that message thread. Should be interesting.
    I'll try and watch for anything that might be said there about adding a grille in front of the radiator.
    I put a simple aluminum wire mesh screen on my '04 Impreza Outback Sport because it looked so vulnerable to possible off-road debris which it might encounter.
    I figured it could at least help prevent some kicked up stones or wayward sticks from causing damage and maybe a leak. I mean, heck, that radiator grille on the Impreza is almost nonexistant (none for the lower half!)
    I've been concerned about air flow, though, ever since putting that mesh screen on there. However, it hasn't seemed to make any difference in coolant temperature or fan run times. But then again, I hadn't really timed how long or often the fan runs before and after the "mod" either. I know the fan starts and stops a few times at fast-food drive-thru's but it seemed to do that anyhow during the first months I had the car before that grille addition.
    I just think the dealership would see it as a plausible reason for denying a warranty fix, of any kind, if something ever goes wrong so that makes me want to remove it before taking it in for service and yet I hate to go through the trouble-- in fact, the risk of doing damage to the radiator when putting it in or taking it out (two parts: above/below) has me believing it could be worse than leaving it alone from now on.