Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Try an aerosol throttle body cleaner and old toothbrush to clean the throttle plate and throttle body bore.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Posts: 249
    thanks for the suggestion, but where is the throttle plate and throttle body bore? i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to this stuff. are these parts easy to see if i squeeze myself under the car?
  • copyed1copyed1 Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Honda Civic, which has something new to me -- a "shift lock release" beside the shift. It's a little slot that you press a key into.
    More than half the time, when I use the key to turn off the engine, my key will not complete its turn, so I can't get it out. (The engine does go off.) The shift is also stuck at this point.
    I then press another key (I have to keep an extra key in the car) into the shift lock release. I can them shift out of park, shift back into park, and then my key will complete the turn so I can take it out.
    Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution?
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    soundsa if your shift position indicator is bad. Does the park light light on when you are having this problem?
  • rangers_frangers_f Posts: 7
    Hey guys:
    I have a 2000 Civic EX coupe. For a few months now, I'v been banging my head trying to find out where an annoying rubbing like noise was coming from. It sounded like two piece of rubber/plastic were rubbing against each other whenever I would run over a bump. Now when the weather gets hot, the noise goes away. I finally figured out that the noise was coming out of the sun roof. I opened the sun roof and ran over the same bumps that I would hear the noise from when close, and nothing. Has anyone run into this same problem? I hope its not much of a problem, would anyone have a clue? Thanks alot.

Art
    Honda has slip tape available but it is just as easy to pick up some Shinitsu greese from honda and lube the seal when needed. Just apply it all around the sunroof seal and the noise will go away..
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    The throttle body is on top. It's the part which the air intake ducting from the air filter attaches to.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Posts: 249
    i just had an oil change and asked the mechanic to look at it; the mechanic said the all of those throttle parts were dirty as hell...
    he cleaned everything up and we're back to normal.

thanks for the tip!
  • copyed1copyed1 Posts: 2
    Good idea! In fact, the Park light and the Drive light are BOTH on. What do I need to do about it?
    when first turning on the ignition switch they both can come on but if you are saying that they both stay on once the car is idling then you should disconnect the shift position switch and see if they go out if they do then maybe your switch has gone bad..
  • ronin_88ronin_88 Posts: 18
    Yes, this is a very common problem on Hondas. Although other makes of cars have this problem too. You will notice that if you push very gently on the closed sunroof, it will move very slightly, and make that squeaking sound, if your rubber seal is dry. It was driving me nuts whenever I went over bumps. Took me 3 months to figure out where it was coming from.

Dealer just lubricated the rubber seal with something called Kleen-Slip and cured it.
  • bazilbazil Posts: 5
    I have a 1999 Honda Civic DX with 22000 miles on it, have babied it from the start, and my check engine light has come on! I have done the gas cap routine and it is still on. I read that you can download the trouble codes, and access the LED display to find out what is wrong, but the display is supposed to be somewhere under the carpet on the passenger side of the car, and I can't find it. I also can't afford to take it to be checked, because they charge 1 hour labour here just to take a look.

Any suggestions?
    Are you out of the normal warranty period. Here in the US it is 3 years 36,000 miles, is Canada differant? On the right side under the glove box frame you should find a few connectors one of them being a 2 pin white or blue connector. That is the one you want to jump the terminals together in order to get a blinking code. However the best way is with a scan tool. When you first checked your gas cap was it loose? If so, then you probably fixed your problem and now need to reset the light.
  • anilsinghanilsingh Posts: 1
    I have a 96 civic Lx with 75K on. The first and second gear shift hard so i took it to the dealer, they said it was the transmission and it need to be rebuilt or replace. I had it replaced with a used one, but the check engine light came on also the the D4 gear selector light on the dash keep flashing; the Guy that changed the transmission for me said I need to get the codes from the old transmission earase and that will solve the problem but the used transmission is still doing the same thing (shifting hard and making a tumping noise). Any idea. I need help please.
  • rickinnj8rickinnj8 Posts: 9
    I have a '96 Civic EX coupe with 83K on it. For the last two years I have noticed raised areas on the front section of the sunroof weather stripping. It appears to be from rust collecting under the rubber. I have an extended warranty, but they only cover the sunroof motor. I have noticed this same thing on lots of other Civics, so I know it's been a problem for many owners. I even noticed that there are TSB's on this subject.

Has anyone had any luck getting Honda to admit it is a problem and had them fix it? I did get a quote from a local dealer of over $400 to replace the entire sunroof, but before I go that route, I want to see what others think.
  • bazilbazil Posts: 5
    Yes, we have the same warranty, unfortunately mine had just passed the warranty period of 3 years two months ago. I almost wonder if it is some sort of conspiracy! I'm not sure if the gas cap was loose, it didn't seem to be, however, I did have my oil changed about two weeks previously, and wonder if that was the problem, but everything seems fine on that front. As for the location of the LED, when you say under the glove box, do you mean when I take out the glove box, or the square metal box that is under the plastic on the passenger side footwell?
  • beachloverbeachlover Posts: 17
    What I need to know is how to shut off my daytime running lights on my 1990 honda civic hatchback.Anybody have any ideas??TIA
  • gdkarma74gdkarma74 Posts: 11
    Hello all,

I have a 2002 Civic LX sedan that was purchased in October 2001. I have about 9500 miles on it but I am having a few problems with it that I am finding upsetting. I sold my 1990 Civic DX to buy this new one and it had 189,000 miles on it, so I expected a lot of my new car.

I have to say that I have baby'd this car and have had only oil changes to this point as far as maintenance is concerned. At about 8,000 miles I started to notice that the car was hestitating when I started in the morning or after it had been sitting for a while. I live in northeast so most of the times when it would sit it was cold, so I thought maybe the warmer weather would change things. I was wrong the problem only got worse.

In addition to the starting issue, I have noticed that the car seems to rev extremely high before the automatic trans decides to shift gears. Also the exhaust seems to be getting louder. Cosmetically I have 2 bigs paint chips right down to the sheet metal on my hood and many on the front grill, not to mention that my factory brand new windshield wipers actually scratched my windshield! Aside from the tell-tale 88-91 body rust that my old civic suffered from the paint was never chipped like it is on my new car??? I am wondering what has happend to Honda's quality?

The car has been at the dealership for 2 days now while they try work out all these problems. They are replacing my windshield acknowledging that the wipers caused the damage. They have told me the starting problem was been present in Accords but mine is the first Civic they had seen. They contact Honda Engineers and were told that the starting issue is due to the valves being too tight?? SO they have adjusted the valves and are holding the car overnight to test the start in the morning. They still have no answer for me as to why the engines is revving so high before shifting or why the exhaust is loud.

I have to say that I am not pleased with the list of problems I am having so early on in this cars life, I was planning on having this car for 6-10 years thining it would pass the test with flying colors. I am also having problems with my local dealerships because I didn't buy the car from them. Has anyone else been having these issues. I went 45 minutes away so that I could get the car for $200 over invoice plus $60 application fee, none of my local dealers would budge. I still thought I would get good service but it doesn't seem to be the case. I was thinking of contacting Honda corporate about this.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to know if anyone else has been having these problems and what your dealerships have done for you.

Thanks for any info.
    Gdkarma74
  • gasguzzgasguzz Posts: 214
    "why the engines is revving so high before shifting"
    Honda's "normally" have high-rev engines, that's where the power is. Where is it shifting exactly (in gears/RPMs)? It will also rev higher in the a.m. until it warms (thank you EPA).
  • rangers_frangers_f Posts: 7
    Hey
    If you go to the Honda web page, you can put in your VIN number of your Honda and it will tell you whether your specific car has a recall on it or not. When I first bought my car, the dealer gave me this service booklet that I "should" follow. The booklet is following the severe driving conditions servicing. At first I went by the thing, until I looked at the owners manual. I am almost at my 22,500 service and the dealers booklet tells me to have the mechanics check out all this BS and the only real service being done is an Oil Change and Tire Rotated. Check this check that. Like they are really checking that crap. So unless you guys are in "severe driving conditions" watch out to the dealers BS servicing. The dealers mechanics are the same crooks as anyone else. They just hide behind the "honesty" of the Honda dealers name. What a joke.
This discussion has been closed.