Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• redsirredsir Posts: 34
    Had same problem on my 2001 LX at 30K. I asked for a fix and got the same answer.

Next time in, I made the service rep come out and listen while I demonstrated. He agreed to fix it saying he might be able to bend the clips. Problem was fixed 98%.
  • redsirredsir Posts: 34
    I you are buying...check the resale values first.

Have owned 5 Hondas and 4 Toys. Long term, Toys are better. Hondas are more fun. Most recent is 2001 LX 2dr auto. 40km oil changes only. Yes there are some rattles that bug you. Other is a 92 Previa AWD now 260km. I will never sell it.

Grand AM...who knows you might get a good one. Don't let the price fool you. You will be buying shocks at 30K.

Before you buy...drive several times first.
    Good luck.
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    The transmission fluid should be checked with engine off but at operating tempature. So warm it up first then shut it off and check the fluid level within 1 min. The stick should read bettween the upper and lower mark.
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    I plan on taking my 2000 5 speed Civic with 29.9Kon the clock (no problem yet knock on wood) in to have the 30K service done (check/adjust valve clearance, new plugs, all fluids changed etc..) for a mere $ 330.00 parts n

labor (have heard dealers are a rip-off but doing it anyway) will check fluid levels when I get home & want the old plugs back to look for normal

wear (currently check the MPG once a month & its about 40 MPG driven easy mix of city & highway) and will continue to check so can 'tell' if things

have changed but is there anything in particular you'd ask for or about ? TIA

--

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

http://web2.airmail.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o

1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)

2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

• devozdevoz Posts: 19
    Hi,

Wow, I appreciate the lengthy messages and interest in my tire issue. I remember reading MXV4 and 88V off of the last set of tires. Now I have MXV4 Energy Plus 88H tires, there is also the letters XSE on the tire.

The ride really was crappy by the way, other than below 40MPH. Even when you weren't at the most chattery speeds, the tires were still quite noisy, although the Civic SI transmits a good
    deal of road noise (and wind noise) into the cabin.
  • With 23K miles on my '01 LX sedan, I've notice a clattering noise when I'm in 1st gear. I think it happens when I let off the gas, to up-shift or to pop into neutral before braking during city traffic. The noise seems to come from the center-right-air vent area, but I can't tell.

When parked and in neutral, I can hit the accelerator and let off quickly, and hear the noise.

It also seems worse on a cold morning. I don't hear it after driving for a while.

Anyone have a suggestion?
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    HL66. I had the same problem with my 97 del sol. It had an older battery and did not occur all the time, but when it did occur the lights would flicker every 5-10 seconds. Eventually I figured out that it occured only when the battery charge was low. This went on for a number of months. Eventually I replaced the battery and the problem stopped for about 4 months, then started to reoccur. A check of the charging system revealed that the alernator was not fully charging the battery. Replaced the alternator and the problem stopped for good. Check your altenator and battery!
  • I have a 1993 Civic DX automatic, bought new, with which I've been very content, except for the air conditioning. The a/c has been barely adequate in the Wash DC summers and I've been told repeatedly by service departments - and believe - that there is nothing wrong with the system but that was the way Civic air conditioning in 1993 DX models is. [In the DX model the air conditioning was a dealer installed option].

I'd like to replace the car with a 2003 Civic or a left over 2002 one but the thought of poor air conditioning in the summer for another 10 years bothers me. Any complaints on air conditioning in recent Civics? Is the air conditioning in 2002 and 2003 automatic Civics as good as the air conditioning in competitive cars? Especially interested in hearing responses from those in New Orleans, Houston and Miami and other hot sticky climates.
  • I have a 1993 Civic DX automatic, bought new, with which I've been very content, except for the air conditioning. The a/c has been barely adequate in the Wash DC summers and I've been told repeatedly by service departments - and believe - that there is nothing wrong with the system but that was the way Civic air conditioning in 1993 DX models . [In the DX model the air conditioning was a dealer installed option].

I'd like to replace it with a 2003 Civic or a left over 2002 one but the thought of poor air conditioning in the summer for another 10 years bothers me. Any complaints on air conditioning in recent Civics? Is the air conditioning in 2002 and 2003 automatic Civics as good as the air conditioning in competitive cars? Especially interested in hearing responses from those in New Orleans, Houston and Miami and other hot sticky climates.
  • Well my Passenger side power window died about a year ago, wasn't that big a deal so I never got it fixed. And the other day my Drivers side window broke, this time its a big deal. They both appear to be problems with the window track, the windows go down, fall off the track and dont go back up. I took the panel off the door and put the windows back on the track but aftre a little while they just fall off again. anybody know how much honda charges to have new window tracks put in? and would it be hard to do if I wanted to do it myself to save some cash. I'm a broke college student who doesn't want to pay a fortune to have a dealership fix my car. :(
  • communipaw, don't bother. I have a brand new 2002 civic LX, which I bought right before summer started, and the A/C is absolute [non-permissible content removed]...

I live in boston, so I KNOW what you're talking about. It barely works well enough when I'm alone in the car, all the way blue, AND selected the recirculate option. With a full 5 people, forget it. They may as well open the windows for a nice muggy breeze.

dealer repair shops don't do a thing for your car under warranty unless something is blatantly wrong (like a tire falling off... or maybe they'll say your driving habits caused it =) I've taken the car to several local dealerships, and they don't even check to see if I have enough refrigerant.

OTHERWISE, I love my car. it's a very solid build quality (knock on wood), beautiful engine, some of the highest crash test ratings, solid resale values....
  • by the way, I know what your talking about, for the dealer-installed option. My folks' old car was like that.

The 2002 LX a/c was factory installed, however, so there's no excuse for poor functioning.
  • hl66hl66 Posts: 2
    204meca: Kind of makes sense. Happens sporadically for me as well. Had to jump start the battery about a year ago after it sat for a month. Thanks for the tip.
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    usally it is a bent window regulator that causes the window to pop off track like that. Replacing the regulator is not that hard. You could also try adjusting the window track in tighter a bit to try and hold the window in better but this will slow down the window operation a bit but may buy you some time. To do this just loosen the bottom bolts that hold the track in place and move them. If they dont move enough then file out the hole alittle. Good luck
  • I bought a 02 civic lx a/t and I noticed that the a/c output (cold air) is not the same at stand still or slow traffic compare to highway speed or above 25mph. I assume that there is not enough liquid to gas conversion in the condenser (front radiator) could be matter of weak fans. I noticed the same in the 02 civic si.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    The air conditioning in my 2000 Civic 5 speed hatchback works fine, you couldn't hang meat in it but neither could you in other vehicles i've driven / ridden in. Rob in Houston
  • Does anyone know who make US Honda Oil filters, particularly for a 02 Civic?
    I recently purchased some oil filters made in Canada. They have the Genuine Honda logo on top of the filter but in small print on the bottom of the filter, it states "Manufactured by Fram". I would never buy a FRAM filter and am disappointed that Fram make filters in Canada and wondered if anyone know the source of US Oil Filters.
  • I have a 2001 Civic EX coupe. During very heavy rains noticed that the headliner around the sunvisors and light group gets very wet and even drips water down to the gear shift. Went to the dealer and they wanted $117 due to leaves and debris clogging the drain tubes. Thought that seemed a little much considering car is still under factory warranty, but they insisted that warranty wouldn't cover it since it wasn't a factory defect. I took it to another dealership and they said the drain tubes were fine. Still don't know what causes the leak. Has anybody else had the same experience?
  • My friend has a '98 Civic. Only 14K miles, mostly local. A few weeks' ago, the check engine light came on. Took to the shop and was told O2 sensor problem. Spent $300 to have the sensor replaced. However, next morning, the light came on again. Took back to the shop and was told car was fine, just change a gas brand (i.e., from Exxon to Shell or Sunoco). Does anyone here on this board experience this warning light problem and is so, how did you have it fixed?
  • srockrsrockr Posts: 79
    Just test drove a Civic yesterday (2003) and noticed a definite "squeak" in the ignition when starting the car. Tried it a few times. Is this a normal sound for these cars? It sounds kinda cute..
This discussion has been closed.