Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    look under the car and see if it could be a lose guard cover muffler bracket? in what kind or road is this happen?
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • ejamanteejamante Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the response...Just had an oil change and had the guys look under the car, they didnt see anything. Happens on highway roads. Doesnt happen everyday but most days, strangely enough.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    In response to the two replys about my slow refueling problem (replys 1321 & 1322). I have had cars that shut off 1/2 gallon before full but never 2 to 3 gallons before full. Although I may not be alone on this because most people say there cars only take 10 to 11 gallons after shutoff when empty which is not enough for a 13.2 gallon tank.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    In response to post # 1334 about the window slime, we have a 02 civic bought in Feb 02 and ours does the same thing. It seems to be worse on the windshield in front of the driver than on the side windows and it is not so much streaks as round spots of an oily substance that are very hard to remove and the are worse when it is hot outside.
  • exownerexowner Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Civic EX Coupe with under 24,000 miles on it and I'm not happy. At about 13,000 miles, the left front strut blew a seal, then a few thousand miles later, the right front strut did the same thing. After having driven the car around both times without realizing I had problems until the handling became noticeably bad, the car developed a squeak on the right rear side, probably because of being driven with the suspension messed up so long. Took it back to the dealer who replaced a rear link. Was fine for a couple days then started squeaking again. Back to the dealer -- this time they replaced the entire rear stabilizer bar and both links. Again, good for a few days then the squeak returned. In addition to serious suspension problems, there've been others. There was (and still is) excessive play in the windows when driving with them part way down. Dealer replaced guides and weather strips in both doors to no avail. The interior trim panels on both sides of the windshield have been replaced due to serious rattling, both sun visors have been replaced due to not staying up properly, and one of my mud flaps came unscrewed and messed up my paint. Oh yeah, the door under the CD player sprung a hinge and was replaced. The dealer tells me the struts were factory junk, but they wouldn't replace both at the same time -- said Honda wouldn't allow it. I can't imagine what sort of other problems I'll have down the road . . . makes me want to run out and buy a Toyota! Anyone else have these kinds of problems?
  • staglestagle Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just purchased a new 2002 Civic LX sedan four months ago. Over the past two weeks my gas tank gauge either gains or loses from 1/8 tank to 1/4 tank while I'm driving on even terrain. For instance on a 10 mile commute to work it will lose 1/8 tank and then on the commute home, it will regain it magically. It's still under warranty and the dealership replaced the send unit in the tank that relays the gas level to the dashboard gauge; however this doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Anybody had any similar problems with their fuel tank gauge readings? In addition I noticed this problem about the same time I kept getting a check engine light which was caused by a emissions leak (they have replaced the charcoal canister, the two-way valve, and the vent shut valve). They tell me the emissions system is made to be super-sensitive and they suspected a crack in the charcoal canister, but replaced the vent shut valve to be sure there would be no other problems. Could anyone give me any suggestions?
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    I've got a '99 DX hatch w/ 57 thousand miles.

When I park my car outside overnight in cool humid conditions, I start it the next morning, the drive belts squeal for the first 2 minutes or so. When I start my car in the afternoon (after sitting in the parking lot at work all day) the drive belts are silent..

These are the original belts, EXCEPT for the A/C belt which was installed last year. I did check the belts' tension and they are correct.

Is this situation (cool, clamy mornings/dry afternoons)causing the belts to contract when cold therefore squealing a bit when cold, and expanding when warm-squeal stops!

I would appreciate Auburn63s' help on this one or anybody else who is knowledgeable.

Thank you, Rich.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    Going just a bit tighter on the noisy belt will stop it and not harm anything as long as it is not extremly tight. If you do not know which is the noisy belt you can have the hood open and some silicone spray ready when you start and hear the noise spray one belt at a time and see which one is the noisy one..Good luck
  • ejamanteejamante Member Posts: 6
    Now things seem worse. Just drove it and seemed to hear this grating, high pitched noise even at slower speeds. Revving the engine doesn't produce the sound. Worse, as I put the car in reverse and backed up slowly, i heard a sound again somewhat similar: I wasn't hitting the brakes in any of these situations..Nothing obvious under the car per quick inspection by oil change shop... ? muffler? trasmission (hope not)? help pls from Auburn 63 or any of you!
    It sounds as if it is a loose heat shield which can't always be seen until further inspection of the shield bolts. Or an internal failure of one of the exhaust components, which usally you can find either by getting under the car and banging on the exhaust with your hand or something and listening for a similar noise..It is probably just a shield by your description, they rust away alot of the time.Good luck
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    Where do you drive this car? Switching to Toyota will not help if you continue to drive this badly. I suggest you look closely at an SUV or a Ford 150 pickup.
  • kukarekakukareka Member Posts: 20
    Hey, people!
    I'd like to offer my Honda Civic 1996-2000 service manual (Honda Motor Co is the publisher, no USBN number unfortunately) for sale. I bought it, but didn't use it. So it's in "like new" condition. If interested, please e-mail me at vasvik@netzero.net
    I drive my car back and forth to WORk, mostly on the freeway. I've owned two previous Hondas, a Civic and an Accord, and drove the same roads with those cars with no problems. The dealer told me the struts were both defective from the factory.
  • bostonciviclxbostonciviclx Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a civic coupe and almost every time I step on the brake, I hear a distinctive and loud "click". The dealership has advised me that that's just the way this car is and that replacing the switch won't change the noise. Has anyone else had this problem? I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
  • elen4meelen4me Member Posts: 1
    I have had problem in Hodan 2000 4-dr Sedan.. Soon after I bought this one, I have had on-going clicking/rattling noise problem at right rear car.. Within a month, the dealer changed the right rear strut.. The simliar noise from rear of my car came back early this year.. I went to a dealer.. They changed the both of rear arm bushing.. Since then, my noise probelm gets worse.. The dealer started to claim that the noise is normal(even thought the noise gets even worse..) So overall I've pretty much disappointed with this car... and the dealer which refused to look at my probelm any more..
    So I had to drop by another dealer.. I bought Honda becuase I've heard that honda is worry-free.. But I could not say that I have been happy about this Honda.. Pretty much frustrated experience from both mechanic and dealer at Honda.
    Have you ever heard like "What did you expect after buying Honda Civic".. Could say that it was the humuliated experience.. I don't know whether I will go with Honda next time.. Probably I will go with another Japanese car maker.
    My car milege is under 20,000.. But I think that I've visited at the dealer about 15 times for this on-going noise problem..
  • doozenbergdoozenberg Member Posts: 6
    I have the same problem with that annoying clicking sound coming from the front driver's side of my brand new (55 miles) 02 EX coupe. I first thought it was coming from the door, but I guess it's the struts? For you guys who've had this problem: was the cost of the repair covered under the warranty? How long did it take? Thanks.
    I bought mine civic last satuday and i noticed the noise but it sound too close to the upper right side between the air vest and the fire wall but in the inside there is no way that click could come from the out side then you would feel the ckick either on the way it ride /breake pedal/or a more dole noise. it is too close and fine to be suspension. have to be a module or a relay that was not properly mounted.
    Greetings from sunny miami.
    I've been to the dealer this past year 9 times for strut and other suspension related problems. The current squeak I'm hearing after having both front struts and the rear stabilizer bar AND links replaced is probably something I'm going to have to live with unless they replace the rear struts too. I don't think I want another Honda after this, at least not a Civic. the 1988 Accord I had was the by far the best car I've ever owned, but both Civics have been disappointments.
  • bostonciviclxbostonciviclx Member Posts: 2
    The dealership from where I just bought my Civic told me nothing could be done about the loud brake switch! So, I have contacted American Honda Corporation and am waiting for a response...
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    Hi all. I had a '99 Honda Civic DX 5-speed and had one too many problems. I traded it in at Toyota and got a corolla. I am never going to buy a honda again. But I notice some ppl love their hondas. Just curious if any of you experienced these problems and if they are common:

Squeeky noise when driving over bumps

Driver side front window rattling at speeds of 35+ (continually cranking down window and rolling it back up to create better seal...never worked)

Slow crank down in hot weather and rain with windows.

Radiator busting after 2 months of owning new car

Seatbelts breaking 4 times 1st month, 3rd, 4 and 6th month of owning car...

Air conditioning going out 5 times (3 times componets had to be replaced)

AC never really getting cold...even after 30 min of being on

Clutch going out after 2 yrs (car was never raced and clutch was gently handled when driving)

Idle and engine problems at 2 1/2 years. Thank goodness for warranties!

Oh and then the crowd favorite...honda service techs forgetting to put the new oil in the car after an oil change. Never ever go to Rock Honda, Spreen Honda or another honda dealer in Ontario...bad service ppl.
  • chefgirlchefgirl Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all.

I own a 1998 civic hx. The first three years were great but the last year it has developed a few problems and the dealership can't seem to fix them.

1. strange rattle in the back, they said maybe it was a rock.

2. The tranny-a cvt-doesn't come down fast enough when I hit the brakes. It trys to take off if I don't hold it my foot on the break. The dealer said Honda is aware of the problems but have no solution. The warranty is over but Honda gave me goodwill and tried to flush the tranny. I was told to come back in 6 mos. maybe there would be a solution.

3. It has only been four mos and it still jerks sometimes so hard it shuts itself off. Also now the brakes are slow to respond and the car accelerates to 70 mph with little pressure while other times it sticks. This time when I called for an appointment I was not greeted warmly. I am afraid to start spending lots of money on a car that has many years to go. btw it only has 28,000 miles.

Help can I get rid of this car? It is paid off in 4mos.
  • bostontbostont Member Posts: 37
    My 2002 Civic EX had the clicky noise too. My service sheet reads: Removed left front strut dampner cleaned and lubed top plate bearing to remove click noise, test drove no click noise heard at this time. Someone else was told it was a suspension spring rubbing and it was oiled. So far so good on my repair.
  • bostontbostont Member Posts: 37
    Sounds dangerous to me. I'd get rid of it. Trade it in and maybe save your life.
    Sounds as if someone needs to verify your complaints and find out if they are transmission related or engine performance. The surging could be a number of possible problems as with the noise. However if the noise is like a coo sound that last about 10 secounds after a stop then that points to the transmissions start clutch as does harsh shifting more so cold. Make the appointment if for nothing else but a diagnoses and then take it up with Honda if you have to.
  • jaydee158jaydee158 Member Posts: 1
    I have civic with 53,000 and just learned that the rear struts are leaking, is this normal with the mileage on the car
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Friend of mine mentioned she has trouble starting her 1999 Civic Hatch when the gas is low, as in close to empty. Usually when it happens (I've experienced it twice) it turns over for about 5 seconds and starts. Sounds normal and it idles fine, just takes a bit longer than normal.

She mentioned yesterday it took much longer to start (a few times of 10 second cranking) and when it did, the 'check engine' light was on. Other than telling her to keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas at all times, any idea would could be causing the problem? Thanks!

Usually starts it cold, on a slight incline towards the front of the car...

-B
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Friend of mine mentioned she has trouble starting her 1999 Civic Hatch when the gas is low, as in close to empty. Usually when it happens (I've experienced it twice) it turns over for about 5 seconds and starts. Sounds normal and it idles fine, just takes a bit longer than normal.

She mentioned yesterday it took much longer to start (a few times of 10 second cranking) and when it did, the 'check engine' light was on. Other than telling her to keep at least a 1/4 tank of gas at all times, any idea would could be causing the problem? Thanks!

Usually starts it cold, on a slight incline towards the front of the car...

-B
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    It's normal to take a little longer to start when gas level is low. It's a bad thing to run the gas tank to empty for a fuel injection car. Fuel injection car needs higher pressure than carburetor car. You may damage the fuel pump when gas tank is empty.
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    Just to let you know, 2 bottles of Tectron took care of the spark knock in my 94'. I can run 87 octance gas now with no problems. Car runs smooth as silk. I think I will add Tectron with every oil change from now on.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    We just would like to know if it is normal to have to replace the front brake pads at only 15,000 miles. Most of all our milage is freeway, but when we apply the brakes you hear a loud screeching and grinding noise. Has anybody else experienced this? Please drop a note if you have. Thanks everyone!!
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Civic brakes often last more than 100,000 miles with conservative driving. For city driving, unless you have frequent stops such as delivering mail or a habit of braking when it isn't needed, I would expect 25,000 miles or more. Suggest you have your brakes inspected; occasionally a small stone or other foreign object will lodge in the brake mechanism and cause your symptoms.
  • cmruffcmruff Member Posts: 15
    This is a minor question - but I don't know the answer! The inside door latch on one of my back seat passenger doors suddenly won't open the door. The locks still work, and the door can still be opened from the outside. What's a likely cause? Any ideas on cost to fix it? Or WHO to fix it? (dealer or regular mechanic). I hope hope hope it's not one of those have-to-take-the-whole-door-apart repairs....
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Open the door from the outside. Flip the switch on the inside of the door.

Someone has activated the child lock on that door.

Easy, huh?
    either that or the lil rod that goes from the handle to the looking device came off. if that the case you should be able to take the door panel and see for your self. this is something that you can do, do not pay 55.00 an hour to have this check sure a friend and a six pack will do.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • jwalker3jwalker3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone, I have just been reading through the messages and noticed that some people have had problems with the factory installed cd player in their Honda Civics. I have had my 2002 Civic now for about 1 month, 2400 miles and already have a list issues that need to be addressed at the dealership...one of the issues being the cd player. I use colored Verbatim CD-R's and they have worked in all my cd players (and my friends as well) but when I put them in my Honda CD player, they will play for a minute and then stop and then re-start and stop..and so on and so on. At first I thought I just had a bad cd player...but then I thought I'd try a store bought cd....it ran fine...and then I tried a plain cd-r....and low and behold...it worked fine. I am shocked and very disappointed that my Honda cd player is not as good as some my less expensive cd players....it just doesn't seem right. Does anyone know if Honda is addressing this issue? Thanks!
    Just wondering if anyone has issue with their lights dimming when the defrost is on. I've had my Civic for a little over a month, 2400 miles and the other night it was cold and rainy....I was driving home at night, high beams on when possible, wipers going and the defroster on....I noticed that the lights began to dim and then come back full strength and dim again...and it continued to do that the entire ride home. We suspect it is something with the voltage regulator.....just wondering if anyone else is having this problem or if it is just my Civic. I am scheduling an appointment with the dealership today, to have it looked at. Thanks.
    jwalker3:

We don't have any problem with our CD Player. My daughter has been playing CD-R from office depot and it played all the song.

bjk
    Your probably going to find that this is normal under those conditions. The ELD(electric load detector) monitors battery voltage and makes adjustments as needed by controlling the alternators output. This correction takes only a short period of time but does not happen quick enough to keep the customer from noticing the change in intensity. You can keep the dimmer switch off of full brightness to minimize the effect. Have it checked anyhow to be sure, good luck.
    Our April 02 EX just goes over 2k miles. It has been over 130 miles since last filled up and fuel gauge still shows at full level. I checked fuel gauge needle did drop back down to zero when ignition is off. Looks like our Civic doesn't burn gas anymore! How about that?
    I don't think Civic gas tank could hold extra 4 gals of gas.
    Thanks for the input auburn63. Sorry but I couldn't tell if you were referring to the interior lights or the outside lights....I am talking about the outside lights/driving lights dimming. I have never had this happen with any of our other cars. I will be having this issued checked next week.....I hope they don't tell me that this is normal, because it is quite annoying to have my lights dim and come back and so on and so on for my entire drive.
    Thanks bjk2001 for the info....do you know if she is using colored cd-r's or plain cd-r's, as my cd player will play plain cd-r's, it just doesn't play colored cd-r's. If you have a chance and don't mind replying back, I would really appreciate it....because if she is able to play colored cd-r's.....then I think I better have mine checked out. Thank you again.
  • hey_herbhey_herb Member Posts: 2
    Hey_All,

I took my 2001 Civic to get an oil change yesterday to the same service center that has done every oil change on the car. They tried to check the air filter and came back and said they could not. One of the embedded nuts in the lower air box had busted loose when they tried to loosen it and they can not remove the lid without further breaking the lower box.

They told me that Honda specs say to tighten the bolts to 16 lbs of torque, and that the heat and vibrations of the engine can cause the bolts to seize further. The part is $42 to replace and an hours labour. So if I want them to change the air filter next time it will cost me and extra $107. They told me that this was a common problem.

When I got home I checked the rest of the bolts myself. 3 of the 7 bolts were broken loose. There is no reason to tighten these bolts to 16 lbs. They are only holding on a light plastic top. But they said they had to because it was Honda spec.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Besides this, I have had no problems with my Civic. I really like it and am thinking of upgrading to get a better interest rate.
    Hey_herb:

Was it 16 in-lbs or 16 ft-lbs torque? I didn't see the spec but just by guessing it, it should be torque to 16 in-lbs which isn't very high. If 16 ft-lbs that's way high for screws like that.
    To me Air filter is wear and tear part, but screws and nuts to hold the air filter box together are not wear and tear parts. It should cover under the 3 years 36k miles warranty.

bjk
  • akw3akw3 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, Does anybody know how to reset the maintenance reminder light?
    akw3:

Procedure is in the owner's manual:

1. Turn off the engine
    2. Press and hold the select/reset button on the instrument panal, then turn the ignition switch on (II).
    3. Hold the button until the indicator resets (approximately ten seconds).

bjk
  • akw3akw3 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info. It took less than 10 seconds to reset the reminder light as you described.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Hello all,

Quick update about my "quirky" radio that would switch stations on its own:

Honda replaced the entire stereo headunit. Apparently there was a malfunction within the unit. Replaced free of charge of course :)

I'm relieved it was not an electrical problem- that would have worried me greatly of problems to follow!

Carrie ~Owner of a 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan with Automatic in Eternal Blue Pearl.
  • jimmyx2jimmyx2 Member Posts: 26
    My daughter's 2000 has 33,000 miles and the mechanic said the front brakes should be replaced for $200. She had brought the car in for an oil change and asked him to check the brakes because at the 30,000 mile check up the receipt said they had 35% wear left. (they now have 15%) The dealer charged her $40 to ck the brakes and will deduct this amount if she has the work done at the dealer. We are uncertain if she should have the work done at the dealer (which is in the city) or locally. Have others had to replace the brakes so soon and is so at what cost?
  • hey_herbhey_herb Member Posts: 2
    hey bjk2001,

I have not reviewed the spec. That is just what the mechanics told me. I know they are torqueing it down to 16 ft pounds, because I had to use more than that to remove the ones that would come out. I will ask the mechanics to review the spec to see if maybe they missed it.

Thanks for the advice.
    Jimmyx2:

Typical brake job if just replace the front pads at dealer should be less than $100 bucks. Charge $40 bucks for inspect front brake is a ripped off. Lots of places will perform free brake inspection. Front brake wears out at 30,000 is normal.

bjk
This discussion has been closed.