Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• eric29eric29 Member Posts: 49
    My thought is that if you call a custom shop, they could install pedals that you could comfortably reach. I doubt it would be very expensive.
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Just took home a 06 Honda Civic Ex with Navi. I have all the security systems possible purchased. But I am nervous about taking it out and parking it in the street. Years ago when I bought a new car, I experienced a 'breaking it in' by street vandals. Not much damage, just somebody took a sharp object and make a car length scratch through the car body.

When I told people about it, they said that it is often found done on new cars left on the street in New York City. This is years later. I still live and park in New York City Streets at times. Do I still face the same danger? Is this vandal culture still pervasive?

Manny
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Fueled the car, four days later the warning message came on, telling me my fuel cap is loose. Not so. I make darn sure it was secure after reading from others that you should hear at least three clicks. I made sure I heard at least ten or more clicks. Now after five more days, and another fill up, I still get this warning. It won't go away. I am scheduled to bring it in on Monday, but would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem on the new 06 civic coupe ? Thanks
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " Do I still face the same danger? Is this vandal culture still pervasive? "

Manny why would you ask questions like that here? They are so off topic.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You may want to park across the river, in New Jersey.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think vandalism is pervasive, just bad luck, but if you park on the city streets, damage to the bumpers is pretty much inevitable.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Yes I would agree. One of the biggest "scams" are the new touch the bumper and score 500-1000 worth in body and paint repair. :(
  • dan46dan46 Member Posts: 2
    My sister's brand new 2006 Honda Civic is toasted. She left the lights on all day, this killing the battery. HOwever, even after a jump start, the car will only run for about 3 seconds before shutting down. On the hud, a green "key" indicator is flashing, which the manual informs is due to the immobilizer which only allows properly coded keys to work. We are using the properly coded keys, but the car wont stay running. I've checked the fuse for the fuel pump, and its fine. Is there some way to reset the immobilzer? Is this a common problem when the battery dies? Any help would be appreciated.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Try disconnecting the battery completely, charge it, then reconnect. See if that does it. Hope it works for you.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Good advise. That will probably fix the problem. If a battery is totally dead, a jump start isn't enough on today's cars.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Is it only running for 3 seconds while the jumpers are still connected? Sounds like a dealer problem since it's under warranty. They might charge for the battery recharge. I'd take the battery to Advance Auto or somewhere. They'll do a free check and recharge in this area. If battery defective, back to dealer problem.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

At best a round with a recharger/battery tender/ trickle charger/ etc might get you back on the road. (i.e., down to 75% of charge should be ok, under that and it starts to make sense to get a new battery). :( What might be neat is you are probably still under warranty.

However todays' "high tech systems" pretty much eat batteries. Jump starting can even be dicey, as there are many more sensitive systems that can either malfunction, function as design (in your case) or experience catastrophic failure. I think truly one benefit is once they deny it under warranty (because it was YOU or your representative,ie tow truck driver, that did this) they make money on the repair rather than just getting paid for some PITA customer good will/warranty work.

I have just recently had to R/R three batteries,(on two cars, of course OUT of warranty :):( ) one that crapped out after 4.25 years, replaced and that one crapped out in 11 mo) and another after 31 mo and 68,000 miles. Call me gomer for being used to batteries lasting 10 years. :)

Some of this is not the battery's fault. Today's MASSIVE accessories draw on reserve capacity. A lot of modern cars draw current even on shut off. In 50 years, I have NEVER felt a need for a battery charger/trickle charger, but NOW, I have gone ahead and ordered one, so I can trickle charge all of my batteries. I truly do not know if this will do anything (like make a 4.25 year old battery last to 9 years) but when you read the test equipment or battery hydrometers: unfortunately they tell the story.

Naturally leaving a battery on, per your description can be its' death knell.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The battery that lasted 11 months... was that in a car where it got deep cycled or drained and recharged completely? I have always felt that shortens the life. The heavy accessories do exactly that especially when they can be used while the motor's not running, i.e., power windows, sound systems, courtesy lights and reading lights, wipers, air blowers.

My one car that had a short battery life was a showroom model for a couple or more weeks. Battery drained with people testing the windows and power seats then recharged overnight by connecting trickle charger when it shows signs of drain.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

It was in a 2001 Corvette Z06 ( stock accesories are out the yin yang). So I am glad in this case I didnt add any aftermarket (battery draw) stuff. It did not get deep cycled or drained or (manually) recharged completely. It is being driven once a week or so and the trips are usually over an hours duration.
  • dan46dan46 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the adivce/info. :)
  • cherylslettacherylsletta Member Posts: 4
    Hey Mr. ShiftRight

Thanks for the link, but I don't see an article on pedal extenders. What comes up is 10 cars that are good for shorter drivers. I tried a search on Edmunds.com for "pedal extenders" but that didn't come up with anything either. Did I not read it carefully enough or is there another article?
    Thanks!
    Cheryl
  • greg25greg25 Member Posts: 7
    I did on the first tank of gas. I tightened it, removed it and put it back on twice and it was still on. Called service and asked about it and was told it should go off after a few drives. I did fill up again and it did go off after 4-5 days. I believe the owners manual states it may stay on a week.
  • greg25greg25 Member Posts: 7
    2006 Civic Coupe. Anybody have rattles or creaks in the dash. I have rattle or creak that started at 1700 miles. It is a constant sound on rough roads. I am taking it in Friday. My 2000 Focus was rattle free at 80K.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay how about this site?

http://www.pedalextenders.com/
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    Most places that sells handicap equipment sells pedal extenders, some even install it for you. Check your phone book under Handicap equipment. If not, look online. :)
  • cherylslettacherylsletta Member Posts: 4
    Hey Mr. SR,

Now, THAT'S a better link! After I read your first reply and couldn't find anything on edmunds, I Googled "pedal extenders" and the CAR TALK radio show website came up with all kinds of links companies that sell them. You know, Click and Clack? I love that show.

I didn't know that they were called pedal extenders, so I had a hard time finding any information on them.
    This will definitely solve my problem. Thank you!

And thanks crazygrrl for the handicap suggestion, too.

Cheryl
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    I did on the first tank of gas. I tightened it, removed it and put it back on twice and it was still on. Called service and asked about it and was told it should go off after a few drives. I did fill up again and it did go off after 4-5 days. I believe the owners manual states it may stay on a week.
    ----------------------------

The dealership had to reset everything to get that fuel cap message off the read out, than noticed the MAP sensor was bad, though it did not register on the vehicle read out. Now have to bring it back in next week for a sensor replacement. They also think this may have something to do with only getting around 22/ 24 miles per gallon, not 100% sure.
  • bcallingbcalling Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Honda Civic DX, standard transmission. The speedometer is not working correctly. When I turn on the key it goes up to 20 mph with or without starting the engine. Sometimes when it is cold the speedometer will work for 1-2 miles. I change the speed sensor and that made no difference. Any ideas on how to make it work again?

Thanks for your Help
    :confuse:
  • gunavalkyriegunavalkyrie Member Posts: 24
    Hi, I have a 2003 Civic LX and lately on my first start-up of the day the engine seems to "rev-up" a lot before changing gears. I'm not sure if this is a transmission problem or some type of lubrication type situation in the tranny. I have 71K on the car and the tranny has never been "serviced". Is there a service to correct this?
    After about 15-20 minutes the car operates the same as it ever it did, but I'm starting to get concerned....
  • barnieonebarnieone Member Posts: 4
    I have 2 Civics, a 1998 and 2000. Both have been hard to start after vacations where the car sat for 7 days without being driven. Any reason why they'd be hard to start after sitting around for a week?
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Barnieone:

Were they inside a covered garage, or were they exposed to the elements?

I went on vacation for a month and left my car in the driveway. When I came back, after a month of the car exposed to snow and rain, I spent 8 hundred dollars getting it to run right again.

Manny
    You should be concerned!

71,000 miles and you have never changed your transmission fluid??
    Would changing it now solve the problem do you think? Is going to the dealer the best way to go or do you reccomend something else? Understand, I have had a manual trans for 15 years and am not up on the protocal.
    Not meant to be a lecture but you really should read your owner's manual.

I would take it to the dealer or a COMPETENT independent.

Not one of the "chains" that like to tell everybody they need a new transmission.

I don't know if this will solve the problem but it sure couldn't hurt anything!
    I sell, by what I've described, what would you say is happening? I doubt I need a new tranny because wouldn't it always shift strangely, etc?
    I would get it in right away for a fluid change.

Ask them to have the guy changing the fluid to tell you how bad it looked. If it was really dirty or burned, I would drive it a couple of weeks and then change it again.
    Thanks.

Any other opinions out there??
  • barnieonebarnieone Member Posts: 4
    They were kept out side. One incident was in the summer with the 2000. The second incident was just recently in 10 degree whether with the 1998. In both cases, I was able to start the cars by pumping the gas pedal repeatedly. After several attempts, the cars started. I thought pumping the gas was a no no on fuel injected cars.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Have them do a complete flush instead of just a drain and refill. And don't expect any sympathy from the service advisor since you've neglected to maintain your vehicle. Have you also neglected the other maintenance? How often do you have the engine oil/filter changed?
    Believe it or not I am "overly" prompt on the other areas, often replacing items before their time. I honestly had no idea that servicing an automatic transmission was so vital. I bought this car used and it had no manual of any kind, but growing up I don't remember my dad being so manic about matainance and his vehicles seemed to last forever....

I'm still waiting for any theories out there; I took my son to school this morning and the "revving" thing was there between gears (some worse than others) for about 15-20 minutes or so, then it goes away and I drove for about 3 hours tonite without even a HINT of a problem (as smooth as though it came off the lot), however I DO have an appointment for 7am with Honda and I will inquire about the complete flush... how much IS IT? Any guesses? What does the complete flush do exactly?
    "Morning Sickness". After it warms up, the slipping stops.

Not a good thing, and the way you describe this, I doubt if a fluid change is going to help. Still, it can't hurt.

Sometimes people like to trade cars in that do this. they make very sure they warm the cars up first. We find out the next morning that the car needs a transmission.
    What do you do about it when you find out about it the next morning??
    Nothing much we can do. We would like to call the cheat that traded in a car with a known defect, but we just take the knock.
  • timk54timk54 Member Posts: 3
    Juat bought a used 2001 Civic. it doesn't seem to get fm reception. I believ the antenna is in the rear window but I'm not sure. is there a connection that may be loose? how do I remove the console to see the rear of the receiver? Is there a connection in the back somewhere? thanks in advance for te help.
  • timk54timk54 Member Posts: 3
    The front passenger seet has a bad sliding rail. There is something is missing and makes the seat move up and down a little on one side it also does not lock into position. Can the rail be replaced or do I need to shop for a replacement seat. thanks
  • albertsalberts Member Posts: 1
    I also bought a 2006 Civic LX, great styling, but 2 days ago the transmission failed to engage (like being in neutral), very unsafe because it happened while I was driving, I had it towed to the dealer, no word yet onwhat the problem is
  • mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    I find the seats in the new Civic to be rather uncomfortable. Had a vague sense of it before purchase but loved everything else about the car so much I went ahead. After a few drives my back is regretting the decision. Any ideas on fixes, good seat cushions, etc????
  • ebart1ebart1 Member Posts: 12
    ---an astute observation---could very well be for me a critical point, as I too am considering the '06 Civic---and note that a Canadian auto journalist called the seats 'economy car hard'! Seat size/shape in that segment of vehicles appears to be a problem---for me anyway (6-2)---My current '03 Accord are the second best seats after my '90 Volks Jetta---the very best in every way---and seats I will likely never encounter again! In fact when I test-drove the new Civic recently I too felt that the seats could be the 'weakest link' in the system.
    Good Luck in your effort to find a compromise.
  • checker88checker88 Member Posts: 2
    8200 miles on it and it would not start. Dealer said spark plug failed.... just wondering if anyone else has had this problem??... I hope it was a fluke.
  • speedraser65speedraser65 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: :confuse:
    Hello All,
    Last Wednesday while driving to work I heard what sounded like BB's in my exhaust manifold. The sound did not change with RPM and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I checked under the hood when I got to work, just sounded like BB's bouncing in the exhaust manifold. The sound went away before I could get home and check it out further. The same thing happened on Thursday.

Then on Friday on my way to work,the engine compartment was quite but the car died and would not re-start after about 55 mi. I pushed it in a near-by parking lot and checked for spark while waiting for a ride to work.

The engine turned over but there was no spark!

I got it towed home Saturday morning and checked it again, still no spark. Then using my Chilton shop manual and multimeter, I checked the coil and igniter and found both to be dead according to the book.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Could the distributor be shot and in turn killed the coil and igniter or visa versa??

I can't afford to replace the expensive igniter and coil and have them go out again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:sick: :confuse:
  • web1web1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Civic Coupe has the same problem. I just heard it yesterday for the first time. I have about seven hundred miles on the car. You are right about the rough roads. It sound like a stress noise. It seems difficult to locate the exact spot since it almost seems to be coming from more than one place. I sure don't want to listen to that for the next five years. Please let me know what they do to your car.
  • sc00tr44sc00tr44 Member Posts: 1
    I was just involved in a head on collision last week. I was driving a Honda Civic 2000 and hit a box truck pretty hard when he made a left hand turn taking the right of way from me. Slammed him pretty good, but the air bags did not deploy. Is this a defect for the 2000 Civic?
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    gunavalkyrie -

Don't let the Honda dealer try to blame you. The maintenance period on a 2003 Civic LX transmission is 120,000 miles or 6 years, not something less than 71,000 miles!!!

You are well within the limit.

I think Honda tries to shift blame for their bad transmissions but suggesting owners didn't do something right.

Honda has a bad reputation for faulty transmissions. My 2003 tranny sounds like its about to fail, and I have less than 20,000 miles!
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    I've been chasing this dashboard rattle in my 2003 Civic now for months and I can't find it. It's near the passenger airbag area but it sounds like it's inside the dashboard.

The dealer says "unable to verify concern".

Any brilliant ideas??????????? :sick:
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    My 06 coupe has a rear deck rattle, post #4307. I'm taking it to the dealer this Thursday. The rattle happens when the vehicles interior is cool (live in AZ). It happens on rough roads or certain music tones (300W stereo on EX coupe volume never over 12). I know first year cars will have issues so I'm dealing with it. Oh, I also noticed an assembly issue on the dash under the turn signal lever. One piece is actually separating from the dash. However I still love the car. The engine is great and the overall ride feel is excellent. I just need to get that rattle fixed. Best Honda for the money to date. Oh, make sure to verify your tire inflation at cold. My cars tires were over inflated. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.