Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• fdh3fdh3 Member Posts: 2
    >Problem solved
    >thanks!
  • jkrummjkrumm Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 LX, and have had several problems. We just had the driver's side window fixed (installed a new, less tight rubber seal so it could close) and then had the driver's door-lock mechanism replaced for the second time after the alarm system kept arming itself. It got annoying just opening the door and having the alarm go off. My wife had the car just shut off one day when using the cruise control. Everything shut down, she pulled to the side of the highway, and then restarted. It hasn't done it since then.

Finally, and worst of all, in snowy conditions this car has the loosest, most squirrely rear end I've ever felt in a car. It gets a little better with studded tires, but it's still very bad. Feels like the car's going to swing off the road (though it hasn't so far). I think the suspenion pulls to the side a bit in back at speed over bumps, and that translates into a very bad feeling in snow.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    six months after we got out 2005 civic the rubber stripping on the top on the inside of the drivers door corner detached and starting ripping. Every time the door was opened the rubber would pull out and we had to push it back in or we could not close the door. The dealer replaced it under warranty. It is starting to do it again. any suggestions would be helpful
  • dchoustndchoustn Member Posts: 1
    hi

i have a 1988 honda civic and i have a similar problem. It has 182,000 miles and when it's hot and the sun has been shining on my car it doesn't won't to crank. When i park in the shade, i have no trouble cranking. Can you help me?
  • jims63139jims63139 Member Posts: 31
    If car has electric fuel pump, could be a bad fuel pump relay. Had similar prob on my '93 Accord, fuel pump relay replacement fixed problem. ;)
    Jim
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    My parent own a Honda Accord 93. It have the same problems. The battery was dead. I spend half a day taking the new batteries back and forth, 3 time to the auto part. The thing I found out it was electric fuse that have blown out too. so, check you fuse box to make sure the copper line is not melt away.
  • spdj20spdj20 Member Posts: 7
    I think Honda may have a defect on their hands. Does anyone else with a 06 Civic have an issue with the A/C taking forever to get cold. On a hot day it takes about 15-25 min for my A/C to turn ice cold. My 02 explorer only use to take about 5 min if that. I went to the dealer to have it checked out, and I tried out another car and it did the same thing. Also does anyone notice that the A/C cuts in and out. I'll be driving along and can feel it do this every min or so, very distracting, anyone having these same issues?
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    It is normal for the A/C clutch to engage and disengage often with the A/C or defrost on especially when the car is new. My 06 Mustang GT does this as well. My parents just purchased the new civic and I have not noticed the A/C taking a long time to get cold but I will check again and get back to you.

Dan
    2006 Mustang GT
    cai,sct,headers,x-pipe,cats,borla,hurst
    382 HP
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    It cools down much quicker if you have it on "recirculate" rather than the "vent". What you're experiencing is a common complaint of Hondas in general.
  • perezrperezr Member Posts: 7
    When test driving the '06 Civic Sedan, I noticed that the air-conditioning did a great job and pulled the temperature down very quickly. The salesman mentioned that you'll never notice a power loss when running the A/C on the new Civics. I asked him if it was magic and he said yes! Oh brother!

What it does do is disengage the A/C compressor clutch when accelerating. This gives you full power, but the air will warm up a bit when this happens. I'm not sure if there is a threshold for this, but you may want to experiment with a more gentle acceleration to see if this helps.

Regular cycling of the A/C compressor is normal, but does seem a bit more noticeable in the Civic, via the temperature of the blowing air, than I've felt in other cars. I'm adjusting to it, so not really a big deal to me and we've had some 97-degree days already.

Otherwise, here are a couple of helpful tips that may improve your experience.

-As has been stated, it is crucial that you use the Max A/C mode for the initial cool down. This allows the system to draw the heat out of the vehicle itself and not waste time cooling new, outside air all of the time. You must also place the fan on it's highest setting as cold air is thicker and takes considerably more power to move than warm air does.

-It's also important to have the air-flow aimed directly at you. The air should be flowing across your face and upper torso. This will greatly increase your perception of coolness. If you're waiting for the surrounding air (not moving across your body) to take the heat from you, it will take much longer to feel cool.

-If you can, always park so that the nose of the car will be out of the sun, especially the afternoon sun, as heat will soak into the engine and A/C components and it will take a little longer for them to cool down and operate efficiently as well.

It's all rather a personal thing, how cool we feel, but I don't think there are any systemic problems with the Civic's A/C. Your comparison test at least tells you that yours has a very high likelihood of functioning correctly as the odds of two in a row being bad are pretty low. However, if you're still unsure, ask to drive one more and see how it feels to you.
  • medic4txmedic4tx Member Posts: 18
    I noticed the same thing the salesman told you about the compressor clutch not engaging. It does warm up a little but as soon as I get going it gets ICE cold. :shades:
  • leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    My problem was apparently that there was a leak, in the new Civic EX I purchased. They put some die or something in, and was able to spot in with black light. They have to order a 'wire' or something that it was leaking from.
  • ellllellll Member Posts: 18
    I have the same noises..

and from my experience, the sound is most like a shock/strut knock, or a loose caliper..., perhaps on heavy systems, a brake pad..(wouldn't be that source on this car...)

I am disturbed to discover it is happening to others. I was advised they "couldn't hear it" and all was correct, after checking and re-torque...I will post on this, and ask any with the same please advise, as I intend to do something about it..

My Regards, ellll :(
    A bit more on the '06, rt. front wheel area noise..over uneven road surface..quite loud..tap/tak/knock/etc.... sound.One other case here near me...seen a few others on forums...Need diag/repair, and it is not forthcoming.

Removed and trimmed the rt. edge, of the trunk undercover.(Three bolts/three clips) It will, on HARD bumps, sometimes contact the bottom of the body, as it flexes too much on the rt side.....also:

Re-set exhaust shields, and removed all four wheel covers...Still no relief. Worth pointing out it is surely "unsprung", (on the wheel or other connecting parts), rather than body..and it is in the "return" travel of the wheel, it seems....that is, a "sharp", "short" shock-travel bump, and the noise seems at the "end" of the bump. not beginning...

Hoping for help on this!!!!!!!

Regards, ellll
    Sorry..

Began with mine, an LX Sedan, at 1000 miles...present miles: 2500
  • zigzagnzigzagn Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same issues on my 2006 Honda Civic. It doesnt rattle all the time but it rattles when I back up then go forward and when I hit a series of bumps. I have removed everything from the trunk and the only thing I can figure is that it's coming from the spare tire. I am taking it to the Honda dealer this week hopefully they can fix it because it drives me nuts.
    Note that the shield under the trunk area on the bottom will sometimes tap on the new Civic..(see furthur along in this post...)

There seem also to be a number of possible sources of noise as shown by other posts, and some are of real concern for some people, but I have no other source of excess noise, other than the taps I have fixed myself, and the suspension..(see below..)

I am confused by eastern purchasers who refer to the right side and add "driver" side...but will refer to right and left only, in my posts, as I am USA and drive from the left...(I finally caught on to the right hand driver position in the East...Maybe I am a bit slower than my Honda...!!)

I find that my major complaint, (after trimming off the edge on the airflow under-liner (Wonder what you actually should call that shield of plastic??),by the muffler, which often "TAPS" the bottom of the car RIGHT by the muffler..), is again!!!..STILL the front suspension, or possibly the right engine area.(???) I still believe it is in the right front suspension, however.

It is quite disturbing on a more uneven surface, like patched areas in a highway, and is worse at some 50km speed...Mine noise is ONLY over bumps of said nature, and not at all regular...(I do like the "Tak" referral as to the sound it makes..!!)

All other areas of interest in owning a car have been FINE on my Civic, (inc. mileage), however, for me, and I hope it continues, as I DO really like this car......If I could just correct the tapping/knocking "Takking"right front sus...I would be HAPPY.!!!

My Regards!!,...John :)
  • sandstresssandstress Member Posts: 2
    The AC in my 06 Civic emits the most horrible chemical/moldy type smell I've ever encountered...enough to make me nautious every time I turn it on. Have had it in the shop 3 times now. They have replaced the AC filter and shot some deoderizer through it which only made the nasty smell worse because of the mix! Now they are trying to tell me its the inside of the car itself...the plastic parts heat up when its hot outside...Whatever! I know the entire car now smells bad because that stink has permeated everything. Has anyone else had this trouble? :mad:
    As to interior odor...I do wonder the time you have had it....

Mine did have a strong chemical smell, noticed more by my wife, for the first month or 5 weeks...She used the somewhat "weak" citrus based things under the seats, and now it seems to be gone even when very hot for the interior...it is about 10-11 weeks since we drove it away from the dealer.....

Regards, to all, John
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I own a 2007 Honda Fit sport (Black) and when it hit 90 degrees here last week it didn't take long for the AC to cool the car, about 3-5 minutes after sitting in the sun.
  • sandstresssandstress Member Posts: 2
    I've had it since late November. Picked it up again from the shop yesterday. They still dont know what the problem is. Its so permeated with the deoderizer and bacterial eater they sprayed in it...its just gross! I am not a happy camper. Trying to mask the original putrid smell is is NOT the fix I was looking for!
    To please (!!), continue this thread, and hopefully determine the actual replys related to the original and subsequent complaint,...I reply to the orig., with the following, realizing that some seem to be talking about a DIFFERENT noise at times; SO:

I went for a DRIVE with the shop foreman at my dealership this morning, and he told me of a man who was so mad that (this) foreman was UNABLE to hear the noise when taken for a test drive on another new Civic with sim. apparent suspension noise..Thats two and another just by word of mouth for possibly three examples, in a county of about 150,000 people...

In my drive, the noise WAS heard and noted, I am glad to say, but was much LESS than I usually hear, ON The SAME ROAD...

I returned this foreman, and tried again, alone, same road, and it was MUCH louder, so:

It becomes OBVIOUS, for American vehicles, at least, that the adding of a passenger on the right side reduces the sound, suggesting that it is indeed likely in the right front, (possibly rear...)wheel and/or suspension. The man whose complaint could NOT be heard is being called by the dealership, for another test...(This is considered a very good dealership...)

I was told however.., NO FIX unless, and until, it runs the "distance" in time, to become a possible recall item...so I am going to a local expert on suspension and alignment for help...

Should we then, find the culprit, I will of course bring it to this forum.

It must be noted that other forums have the same complaint in place, as a thread...and also, note the sometimes extreme difficulty in tracking down "noises", so it is best it seems, to "be nice" about this, and try to work with the company...I will try to do that...

My Regards, John
    I am sorry you have the problem and do hope you find a solution. It might be worth taking it to a quality interior detail shop to see what they would suggest... :)

My Regards, John
    Hi all,

Mine hasn't had a brake failure as such, but sitting at a light with pedal depressed..after some 15 seconds or so, the pedal moves down about half an inch more...suddenly...

Is this perhaps related, or a warning I should think about???

Regards, John :surprise:
  • fe203fe203 Member Posts: 21
    Next time while stopped at a traffic light or stop, see if the brake pedal gives you that sinking feeling the same time as the A/C compressor cuts in. That is what I have noticed in my Civic. I think when the A/C compressor cuts in it draws power from the engine and the booster pressure on the brake system drops causing that pedal sinking. Don't think its anything to worry about though.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I have heard of the this behavior of the brake pedal sinking further while the car is stopped with other cars long before the 2006 Civic was released.
    This is nothing unusual.
  • erc1erc1 Member Posts: 21
    It has something to do with the circulation of the brake fluid--in fact, you're in trouble if it DOESN'T happen. I remember reading about this in the Chilton's for my Toyota.
    I just took my 2006 Honda Civic in today because I was having problems with a rumbling noise. I would hear it when I backed up and on some surfaces on the road. They discovered a shock was blown and leaking. You may want to have the shocks checked.
    I took my 2006 Honda Civic in today. They discovered one of the rear shocks was blown and leaking. I'm glad they discovered it other wise I was going crazy listening that rumbling noise.
    Hi Friends,

Not sure I understand the reply to thread requirement here, but I will just hit two at once...

Thanks for the info on the blown shock..They offered me NO relief however, and said all was fine..and that was in fact, AFTER the tech rode with me yesterday. He accepted the noise; HE could hear it for certain this time...I WILL have that issue examined when I go for the survey by the alignment people..I still plan that, as they will not "mince" around about it...

In addition, the sudden slacking of the brake pedal while being held under pressure is of interest indeed. However, I havn't felt it so "certain", before, and not at all on the two Buick Cent. I own...Perhaps it is the reason I noticed it on the Honda. It is not a cause for alarm, it would seem, and in that case, I have no other concerns with mine...

I will add more on the "tak, Tak,..ing" sound in the front suspension when I get more..

My Regards, John :D
  • sloppyjojosloppyjojo Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my AC about two weeks after I bought it. It turned out that the system was leaking fluid and and something had hit it causing a small dent i nthe covering, either from road debri or something from the factory. The delaership had to re-install a new unit. Even though it has been replaced, I don't think that the air is operating at full capacity. It could be MUCH colder than it is.
  • joeplaya87joeplaya87 Member Posts: 1
    i have a civic ex 93 wit 135,000 miles on it...about 2 nights ago i was drivin home and i see that the battery light comes on so im thinkin that i had to replace the battery...the next morning i see that when i turn on the car all 3 alternator belts dont spin at all...i replaced all 3 belts about a month ago so theyre all new...i dont know what caused this to happen, but does anyone have an idea why this could be happening?

JC
  • captainkirk1captainkirk1 Member Posts: 3
    My wife's 95 Civic EX has 186,000 on it. Been doing pretty good until a few months ago. While driving down the interstate, it began sputtering and she noticed the RPM going eratic. She pulled over and restarted and resumed her trip without further problems. This began happening once/twice monthly, sometimes while sitting at a stoplight, others while driving down the highway...with engine warm or cold. Had it on the machine at the dealership and they are at a loss. I changed the fuel filter. No difference. I thought, maybe bad gas, but she's been purposefully fueling at different gas stations and that doesn't seem to be it either....any ideas? :confuse:
  • missjoimissjoi Member Posts: 1
    Good Day All.

When I started my car (2002 Civic LX), the word "Brake" was lit up (although my brakes are functioning just fine) and my air conditioner was not blowing cold air AT ALL. Also, when I turned my car off, the "alert sirens" to let me know that my keys were still in the ignition or my lights were still on did not occur. I had someone check the fuses, all of which seemed to be okay. I am very apprehensive about taking it to the dealership and having them charge me my other arm and leg after I just had the 60,000 mile maintenance (the first arm and leg) done 1.5 months ago.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks
    MissJoi
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    Tried check brake handle. Other option is remove your negative battery terminal. Then put it back on to the terminal of the battery. It reset your electronic to default setting. If you have radio that have security. Make sure you know the password before doing it. Set your clock and auto windows. ;)
  • freedmlfreedml Member Posts: 43
    My 2001 Civic GX Cruise Control doesn't work sometimes. If I turn off the engine and restart, it will often start working normally again. Any ideas other than 'replace the PCM'?
  • leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    I had a leak after 1 week as well. The replaced the 'feeder line'?? and apparently it is functioning well now...it's cold at least.
    Just a short comment, and a long up-date..as my air is fine(??), for the most part on cooling; however, it is not as cool as my Buick sedan....Hope it remains well for you in the repaired form...!

AND>>> An update on my own, and others, Tak-Tak sounds over uneven surface...usually right front, but often left, sometimes making very loud taps/knocks/taks/etc, etc.....See earlier posts./..::

MY DEALERSHIP still hasn't helped, and frankly, I now would rather have someone else anyway..as I am tired of talking..Don't know as I trust them, so I am going to the high class front end man I mentioned, next week, who feels confident he can remove a bit and work with it, and find the problem...I am willing to pay as required, just to stop the worry...

It now is a bit worse. These facts also are of note: It is BEST for it to be checked by a driver ONLY, (for left hand driver models); ANY weight on the right side damps the sound somewhat, and they will claim the best thing is to "turn up the radio...."..

In addition, if you check the suspension on a rack system that lifts by the FRAME, the natural extension of the strut/spring system ALSO(!!)damps the problem..NOTE!!!...:

Mine can be heard slightly by raising on a lift that supports the WHEELS...(Drive-on lift, with tires on the surface...(Harder to find these days it seems),...as the wheels remain in the position NORMAL for driving the auto on the street...),and by using a rubber mallet on the frame members. (It is totally damped on a frame support lift, so you can't hear it...)

Thats why the ft. end man believes he can find it if given a few days...He has an alignment lift that extends all the way up so you can walk under...

Sorry for long post..Regards!! John :)
  • roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    How many miles a week do you drive and in what kind of traffic? Do you think different types of traffic (city v. hwy) have anything to do with problems arising? I noticed that there have been 3 recalls and 7 bulletins on the Honda Civic '06. It seems like a lot, but I'm not a car person and have just this week started researching and learning. Everything I've learned has been from here, kkb, and honda web site. Every time I get excited about buying my car, I hear stories like yours and don't know what to do. But, I'm glad to be informed. I do wish you good luck, though.
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    Welcome to the dark side of the internet. It doesn't matter what model you research, if you read long enough you'll be talked out of all of them! Cars are complicated and most of them have a problem once in a while.
  • ldog01ldog01 Member Posts: 4
    I've been driving my 2006 Civic for 6 months now. I had no problems up until a couple weeks ago. I noticed that when I hit a big bump in the road, the car kind of jumps or slides to the left. I've never felt anything like it before. It's kind of weird. Any ideas?
  • jkrummjkrumm Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed the exact same thing. What's worse is that the whole rear end is extremely squirrely when I drive on snowy roads at speeds above 35 (my 2004 Accord is fine on the same roads). I've never felt anything like it. I'm hoping that it's the rear alighnment problem someone mentioned.
  • ldog01ldog01 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking it's a problem and not some sort of trait of the civics. I drove the same route every day for 4 months (the PA Turnpike) and never had any problems. Now, it all of a sudden started sliding.
  • yeomeoyeomeo Member Posts: 2
    Hi There,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me....? After driving for about 15-20 mins a high pitched sound begins seemingly coming from the front of the car. It is not constant, but does seem to be influence by a small amount of movement to the steering wheel-------straighten up to the right and sound appears, correct to the left and it disappears. Most noticeable on the motorway, radio blocks it out!
    Cheers ;-)
  • yeomeoyeomeo Member Posts: 2
    If you've hit a bump and started to slide in or out of corners, its most like to be that your wheel tracking is out of alignment ie. front wheels not parallel or front-back not parallel. You'll probably feel like there's more chance of sliding when turning one way as apposed to the other. understeer and oversteer...?
  • eyeauneyeaun Member Posts: 1
    hey i am having the same exact problems with my car. I did not see a resolution to your problem did you ever get it figured out. If so can you PLEASE let me know. thanks alot. heres my email::: ion_tha_ms@yahoo.com
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Can any one tell us how often your compressor cycles on and off. When idling, recirc on, fan at level 2 or 3
    Example on for 10 seconds, off for 40 seconds and back on again, what ever times you get.
    Thanks
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Some Mazda 3 owners are also having the same problem with their A/C not cooling down. If the compressor cycles on for 10 seconds than off for 40 to 50 seconds than the A/C has a hard time cooling the car. When the compressor is off all it is doing is pushing warm air. It should cycle on longer to push cold air into the car. So yes it is a design and engineer defect. Maybe the same people, suppliers, make the same A/C units for both cars. I would think Honda can't fix it??/
  • magoosh1magoosh1 Member Posts: 13
    So,

What is the general overall feel of the 06's? I know it look good and drives well. It's NA Car of the Year! But is it holding up compared to other Hondas? I want to buy in Sept./Oct. Should I wait for 07 Civics? :confuse:
    Everything is fine on my Civic, 2006 LX, and I like it very much.......:

EXCEPT !!!!.. the difficult to find "tak tak" in the front right suspension. I have found even front-end experts are not sure what to do other than item-to-item replacement, which can become very expensive, and I am now better aware of where to continue looking, than any techs I can find. I intend to find it myself, over the next few months, working on it when I have an opportunity, and believe that I can find it...

I do believe my dealership could have made a bigger effort, but I don't know their limitations yet, having never bought from them before.

I do believe that in general, the car is not a milestone other than general design; Others have problems, and there seems to be some controversy as with any complete re-design.

I cannot at present, say I would buy the same car again, but I believe I might, given the "nice and neat" appearance. I do think I might have been happier with the SI or even EX..

Regards, All...John :)
This discussion has been closed.