Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

1262728293032»

Comments

• mikeswinneymikeswinney Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Both of the lenses on the drivers side of my 2004 C70 convertible were cracked in a hail storm. The car won't pass inspection until they are both repaired. The dealer insists on replacing the front assembly, which costs around $360; the rear lens is just under $100 plus installation etc. Can someone recommend a cheaper way out of this or a recommended after-market reseller?
  • mikeswinneymikeswinney Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    The drivers side window won't go up properly and the window leaks rain which has gotten into the door. Is this typical? Anyone have an idea on what might be involved in fixing the leak? I've looked at the seal around the window and don't see anything unusual. It also causes very annoying wind noise :(

Should I continue to pay for expensive repairs on this car or just sell it? The entire body shudders and the body integrity seems to be falling apart. It has 80K miles on it.

Any opinions?
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    I've seen lenses only listed on Ebay, along with the complete assemblys. You could try your local junk yards. Good luck.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    ipd sells the lenses
  • booker1booker1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my volvo in Sept. 2006. The initial tires were selected by the dealer and were performance tires on 18 inch wheels only rated for 15000 miles. I now have 81000 miles and have been through 4 sets of tires,.. According to the dealership, Volvo found an excessive cambor problem with the back tires and fixed this on the 2010. Now they want me to pay for repair to my car. Very disappointed with Volvo service and quality.
  • bobparisbobparis Member Posts: 28
    What do you mean by "excessive cambor?" Can you elaborate?
    Drain is clogged causing water to leak into the front passenger foot well. Was easy to get to on my prior cars but I can't find the location on the C70, first gen.
    Please advise. Thanks.
  • 2sleepy2sleepy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 C70 Volvo and I have gone through ten tires just on the back. I am learning now there may be an issue with the cambor and Volvo has an after market piece they can put on the 2007 to correct the problem of the tires wearing too quickly. They also are indicating to me I will have to pay for this. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the tires on this particular car?
  • christerartchristerart Member Posts: 9
    Seems I am about to wake up this very long thread. I am reading it from the beginning and has gotten to post #430..=*^)

The reason I am posting is because yesterday I bought a 2000 C70 2.0 LT coupe here in the UK. It's been lovingly cared for by an older gentleman and looks and runs and operates as new - tight, no squeaks or rattles, drives like a scalded rat and the sound system is out of the world, just like the seats..=*^)

It has 73K on the engine, just had a service with the cam belt replaced and tires are almost new on the rear and 50% on the front.

This is not the first Volvo I've owned. I had a P1800 way back in '70 in Sweden and the last one was a '92 940 I drove in Arizona. When I sold it it had 310,000 miles on the engine, didn't use any oil and never let me down doing the 60 mile round trip commute.

I am looking forward putting a couple of hundred thousand miles on this one..=*^)

It's going to be interesting to see how the tires wear...

Cheers from a (for once) snowy England.

C
    By the way - it's a manual..=*^) :D
    Congrats on your purchase. I have a 99 convert. Tire wear will depend on what type tire you have, all season or low profile summer high preformance. Since you're in England, I would assume all season, so mileage would depend on the tire brand, etc. If you have the summers, expect a max of 25k miles.
    Thanks tmart..=*^)

I just went out to double check what I remembered of the tires on the car.

Turns out I got Pirelli P7 on the front and Pirelli P6000 on the rear and as I mentioned I think I need to replace the ones on the front pretty soon. The rear ones has a lot of rubber. Not sure I want to buy another couple of P6000 after reading what people think of them. Guess I will keep on reading and by the time I need to replace the tires I should know what to put on..=*^)

I'm reading UK reviews right now which are very mixed. Driving in the snow yesterday the P7's sure didn't feel like they were giving me much traction as some of the UK reviewers state.

Anyway, we'll see. Any recommendations warmly welcomed - 225 x 50 x 16..

C
    I think I had the P6000 as original equipment, 225 x 45 x 17. All four got cracked sidewalls at around 18-19k. Did not replace with Pirellis. The handling was superb, but you pay a price with reduced mileage.
    I tell you - I've been all over the web, looking, looking and reading - feels like my eyeballs are gonna fall out if I keep this up.

And no conclusions - except trying to buy tires in the UK is a hell of a lot harder than in the US. Websites are sometimes so bad it's pretty much impossible to navigate - the tire size you want is changed to something else when searching - if you *can* make a search - and of course everything over here is *much* more expensive than in the US - and tires you can get in the US you can't over here...=*^(

Hopefully someone in this thread will take pity on me and recommend something..=*^)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If you want all-seasons, Continental DWS are very popular here, and are budget friendly for a mainstream brand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks KYFDX..

I looked them up and they certainly seem to get better feedback than the ones on the car right now - but - I can't find them for sale on the web.

Can you point me to where I can actually buy them in the UK?

C
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-2.htm

One review said they were noisy and most say soft sidewalls - otherwise sound good.
    I'm sorry.... just assumed Continentals would be available on your side.. no knowledge of internet tire stores over there...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Nope, I wrote The TireRack and they told me "Sorry, can't ship those because they don't have the ECE certification and will be stopped at the border and sent back..=*^(

Another thought - the tires on the car are 225 x 50 x 16 - what would happen if I put on 225 x 55 x 16 as this coupe with LPT has the sport suspension? I know it will affect the speedo but it can't be vey much I would think. Perhaps a tad less slower around curves as well.

Anything else? Thoughts?
    About 0.9" taller. That's significant, in my opinion. Handling will be slightly worse and they may rub (but, probably not). I would stick with stock size.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, I think I'll do that - stick with the same size..=*^)
    Some of the posts in this forum has been about the flimsy cup holders and how they break easily.

Seems I am lucky - my 2000 manual LPT doesn't have any - at least I can't find them..=*^)

C