Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Problems with the new VW Beetle?

pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
edited April 2014 in Volkswagen
Let's discuss 'em here!

Pat
Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference

Comments

• lmwirthlmwirth Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I just bought a 2000 GLX, and it has been trying to stall lately. The only situation where this happens is when I put it in reverse, back up, stop, then change to drive - it wants to stall SOMEtimes, but not all the time. Also, we have put 3 tanks of gas in it and it has about 500 miles on it. It drinks premium unleaded (for benefit of the turbo). We have figured that is about 17 miles to the gallon!! That is BAD! I am hoping the dealer (appt. 02/17) can give us some insight about these things. Is gas mileage usually so bad on a brand new car? I have never owned a new car before...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ;-)
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    So what happened when you went to the dealer? Was it any help?

Pat
  • stevenp2stevenp2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2000 beetle TDI that after 5000 miles the clutch burn up completely. We were coasting
    downhill in a parking deck when we noticed smoke in the engine compartment. At this point the transmission (5 speed)would not go into gear. The shop accused us of "riding the clutch" and reluctantly replaced the clutch.

After approx. 20 miles on the road the problem reoccurred and the clutch started to burn again. The car went back in the shop. They claim that it was caused by air in the master cylinder. We'll see?!

Anyone have similar experience with new beetle?
  • mike90403mike90403 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm considering getting a New Beetle, but I
    heard that the maintenance and repair costs would
    be extremely high compared to other cars in its
    class (like the Civic).

I realize that most Beetle owners are probably still covered by warranty and free factory maintenance – but does anyone have info on what the car will cost to maintain after the first two years (regular service, tune ups, oil change etc.)?

How about costs to repair? (This all started when I heard a vicious rumor that a new starter on a Beetle would run $900). Anyone have examples of a car repair and its cost for a New Beetle?

Thanks.
  • joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    went to test drive a new beetle. It's
    very fun. However, when I opened the sunroof,
    there was a sort of whistling noise.
    The salesperson said you had to crack
    a side window to eliminate it. Is this true?
    Can't you get some air without too much
    noise? Thanks...
  • deeskideeski Member Posts: 2
    Just leased a new beetle, 2000 GLS. Love the car, but the sunroof open even half way creates a VERY bad wind noise, as if there were a helicopter flying right over the car. Plus, I went to go start the car and it wouldn't start. Just a bad clicking noise when I turned the key. It turns out, my battery was dead and it was caused by the engine's computer. Happned 3 times and now waiting for it to be fixed. Anyone have this problem????
  • bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2000 GLS Turbo with the sunroof - Naturally it makes a lot of noise when it is retracted, why wouldn't it? I prefer to pop it up if I'm on the highway and then I reach under and deploy the spoiler manually, it helps reduce the noise.
  • corrado2corrado2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GLS. I LOVE MY CAR. As for gas mileage. It stinks!!! I have 1500 miles on my car and I only get 18-20 miles per gallon on a good day. It's not even a TURBO. My boss has one too. He also complains bitterly about the gas mileage and has had many problems with his car. The check engine light keeps coming on in his car, Thank goodness so far I've had no nonsense.
  • deeskideeski Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, I am going through a rough time with this car. The dealership has had it since the week I got it. They say my Engine Computer is bad and then they got a new part for it and said that it can't be reprogrammed so they are getting another new part and they say that now something is messing up the fuel injection!!??? I am VERY discouraged and I feel like this is a black cloud over me!! :'( Can you elaborate more on the problems your boss has been having???
  • bikwake4mebikwake4me Member Posts: 2
    Your check engine light is a common problem throughtout the industry. If you are currently having this problem with a 99 or 2000 VW it is due to the o2 censor. There is a problem with the censors and they must be replaced, unfortunately they are also on a national back order, so if you bring your car in to have it replaced, expect to be without a car for 5 to 10 days while the part is shipped overseas. That is where I come in, I own a car rental company and have many VW dealerships as my accounts. I have been toying with the idea of putting Beetles in the fleet for 2 years now. What do you think? If you went in to a rental agency and were offered a Beetle for the same price as a Taurus, would you take the Beetle? Your input would be appreciated.
  • bikwake4mebikwake4me Member Posts: 2
    Besides being the rent a car guy, I am also quite the car fan. I usually go through 3 or 4 new cars a year and am thinking of getting a Beetle for myself for the summer. What do you all think of them? Are they fun to drive? I am currently driving a Ford Expedition and am looking for a fun toy for a few months. Is the beetle quick? Is it small, how small? How does it handle? Sorry for all the questions, but a car is an expression of yourself and you dont want to buy something you are going to hate.
    The best place to find people who have recently purchased or are thinking of purchasing a new VW Beetle is over in our Hatchbacks conference. You can check out New Beetle News for a start, but there are other topics you can find by keying Beetle in to the Topic Search feature on the left sidebar.

Pat
  • beetlebug1beetlebug1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2000 GLS beetle and love it. So far I have not had any trouble. The gas mileage is not the greatest, but I was driving a 6 cyl ford taurus before this. The ride is great, the pickup is adequate. Noisey engine, but if it gives me no problems then I won't complain. I am very interested to see how people view the service at VW. I live in Central Connecticut and would like some feedback on which Dealerships shine.
  • richard72richard72 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 GLS Nov99 and I love driving it. It is my wifes car and she also loves it. It is yellow. At 2650 miles the air bag light came on and a computer part had to be ordered. Took a week to get part and fix. Was told it may be unsafe to drive so we parked it and waited until part came in before driving it again. on the way home from the initial appointment to see about the air bag problem we noticed the horn no longer worked. A part for the horn had to be ordered and this took another 4 days with no horn. Again we did not drive it as I felt it unsafe with no horn. I have owned Toyotas now and in the past and these problems with a new car have me very concerned. Hope this is not the beginning of a nightmare. It is a fun car though. As my wife says, it is so cute. Good luck with your new Beetles.
  • bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    I've had my '00 NB GLS Turbo Automatic for 5 months now, and I love it. I had the airbag light come on after about 3 weeks of ownership and the dealership reset the computer to fix it. Now when I have the lights on, occasionally the rear defrost light will flash between red, and a dull orange (it is bright orange when on). It's quite annoying, but it doesn't do it all the time. My husband has also noticed that the headlights will dim occasionally, he thinks it's when the fan comes on. Has anyone else out there had any problems like this? The car runs great, but my dealer is a full hour out of my way, and I don't want to take the vehicle in for them to tell me the light didn't flash for them ... you know how it goes.
  • weds28weds28 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 nb tdi which has been a total and complete pain to own. i have thus far had to replace the resistor (controls the fan speeds for the heater/ac), both headlights (the full assembly), the plastic piece on top of the gear shift, the air something or other that allowed my power passenger window to work (or not work and drop down into the passenger door in this case), the battery and most recently the glow plug relay. i have had to have it towed 2 weekends in a row now. i have been in the shop with this car an average of once a month and am quite tired of it. i am selling it with 34000 miles on it and NEVER buying another VW as long as i live. the shop managers have been less than helpful and volkswagen customer service should remove the word service from their name altogether. hope this helps others.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    Bet it worked great in der Fatherland.

VW will probably be slow to accept that a problem exists until it exists in Germany,
    and then will be slow to fix it, based on past responses to pattern failures in Rabbits and Jettas.
  • mfoster761mfoster761 Member Posts: 1
    This is my third VW and worst one yet.
    I bought my beetle GLX in Feb. of last year by May my car had been in the shop at the dealers for over two months straight. It started with the airbag lights coming on over and over again. They "replaced" everything in that car but the vase. Now I am having terrible electrical problems. My speedometer goes, odometer, tac... Mile gauge, rear defroster... Basically you name it.
    My dealing with VW is absolutely horrible. The service department sucks and don't even bother trying to get someone at VW credit.
    I filed a lawsuit against VW in April of last year. IT is finally going to court next week. As far as I am concerned they can have their car. I have taken out an ad in my local paper warning people about VW and their crappy products.
  • chezemchezem Member Posts: 2
    I waited 2 1/2 years to get a new Beetle, so all the bugs would be out of it. That did not happen.

The day I picked up the car in Beaverton OR at Herzog Meier VW, the Rear spoiler motor was broken. And to further impress a customer, the selling dealer refused to repair my car by borrowing a part off of one of their stock/inventory vehicles. They most likely knew the part was a back-order item. They told me I had to go to my "local" dealer in Salt Lake City for repairs. The dealers entire philosophy was "You bought it, now it's yours." After getting back home to Salt Lake City, it took the local dealer 2 weeks to get the part and repair it, good thing it was not a driveability problem.

Less than 60 days into owning my new GLX, the computer module locked up, the airbag light warning light stayed on continuously, and the car refused to start once. Back to the dealer for "warranty" trip #2. Supposedly the computer had to be reset?

Less than 2 weeks after getting the computer fixed, the AC went out, or should I say did not work. I had never tried it until then. I guess assuming a new car is fully functional is an unfair expectation of VW of America? Anyone out ther from VW of America care to take the time to respond, if your not too busy counting the revenue made by cutting corners on Quality Control at the time.

I love the car, but I am not going to keep it, as I feel VW of America has passed on QC in the name of profit, and is churning out bugged bugs as quick as they can. BUYER BEWARE.

I would side with many of you who have had elecrical problems galore, these cars are not what they are represented to be. I am going to trade mine off as soon as possible, as I am concerned about future breakdowns and VW of Americas total lack of QC and support for a "Premium" priced vehicle. Perhaps if enough of us contact VW of America, customer service line and let them know about our electrical ghosts, they will actually do something and recall the cars for CPU repairs?

Good luck with your new beetles.......
  • myvwlemonmyvwlemon Member Posts: 14
    Go to MyVWLemon.com and log your problems on the bulletin board. My jetta gls vr6 is nothing to praise! Post your VW Beetle problems at http://www.MyVWLemon.com.
  • beetledefect1beetledefect1 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a 1999 TDI Beetle since April 1999, and beginning in Jan. 2000 (8500 miles) when traveling up inclines or in any situation requiring throttle for more than 15-20 seconds, there is a rapid loss of power. At highway speed, this means slowing to 45 mph in a 65 mph zone! In Jan., the problem occurred intermittenly, but has become progressively worse. The "check engine" light began to appear in Feb. I live in a mountainous area and have had it in the shop approx. 30 total days since Feb. No one can find the cause of the problem, not for lack of trying on the part of the service staff (replaced engine control module, sensors, etc). They really are trying. Any ideas as to possible causes? Per the dealer, they know of one other in the country doing this, but no known cause.
  • chezemchezem Member Posts: 2
    Just lazing around cleaning my garage today, and had to reach under the beetle to pick up a bolt I had dropped. Much to my surprise, the drip pan/splash guard was gone! The dealer that did my 5k service for me at 3,500 miles evidently was so concerned about the bottom line that they skipped quality service/did not have the time to do the job right. Sure VW of America gives out "free" service for the first 20k miles....I think this one will cost me about $50 in lost time. Let's re-define free here folks.

I would rather let the monkeys at Jiffy Lube do it, if this is the quality of service a "trained technician" at the VW dealer provides.

Will have to take the car in and wait for the dealer to re-install the part they removed to due the oil change. As an owner, should I have to "watch dog" the dealers service, or could I expect quality service?

A Frustrated New Beetle Owner, Tim
  • shannonbethshannonbeth Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a NB in Feb. and I am having brake problems. I haven't even had this car for 2 months. When I press the brakes the car makes a terrible screeching sound. I can't get in to VW for a week or so and they tell me the car is okay to drive. Anyway, I haven't had any other horrible problems yet car wise but I had a terrible dealership experience and will never purchase another VW again.

The Dealer made a mistake in writing up my lease (so they tell me). I leased my vehicle for 39 months for 15,000 miles a year. The total miles allowed was like 48,750 in the contract. After having the car a month the dealer contacts me and my husband and states that we have to come in and re-sign the contract (not telling us why). So, I told the dealer I was not signing anything until he explained to us what was wrong with our current contract. He stated that they allowed us too many miles that the 15,000 only applied to a 36 month lease and that a 39 month lease only extended and lessened the car payments and did not extend the mileage. I told him that that was his problem and that he should have not the mistake. But he still persisted to make it look like we had to re-sign or they would take the car back. So, I told him he could talk to my attorney. Then he became nice. After long negotiations, they gave us $1,000 for the mistake and we re-sign reluctantly (I didn't feel like making this into a lawsuit). Anyway, those of you who plan on leasing a NB for anything over 36 months make sure the dealer explains the mileage to you and know exactly what you are suppose to get before you sign. Let me know if anyone else has had these problems with VW. Thanks
  • bluebug1bluebug1 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 99 1.8ltr turbo..thankfully I've had no problems. I have experienced the dimming of the headlights, and was told it was the compressor from the AC kicking in.
    Anyone with any ideas on this?
  • emerckxemerckx Member Posts: 3
    Just had the 40,000 mile service performed on my
    99 New Beetle TDI. The service included a timing
    belt- and tensioner change.The bill was $ 928.90.

If you're thinking about buying a 99 New Beetle TDI,
    be advised that VW calls for a timing belt- and
    tensioner change every 40,000 miles on that engine.
    This is probably true for the 00 models as well.

Given the $ 1,200 extra I paid for the Diesel
    option when I bought the car, and diesel fuel in
    the US costing about the same as gasoline, it made
    absolutely no economic sense to buy a New Beetle
    TDI.

I enjoyed driving the car very much. But I've
    advertised it for sale. I never thought I'd say
    this, but I can't afford to drive a Diesel.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The 40k interval for Timing Belt change is a TDI thing.

On the 1.8T it is 90k according to my manual.
  • emerckxemerckx Member Posts: 3
    The TDI timing belt will probably last way past 40 K miles. But the 1.9 liter TDI engine is an interference engine, i.e. pistons and valves will smash into one another with catastrophic results if the timing belt breaks. With VW's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, it makes sense for VW to encourage TDI owners buy a new timing belt every 40 K miles. What I objected to was the steep bill for having that belt replaced, plus the fact that they had to have parts needed for that procedure air-freighted in. It took three days . . .

Because such a large percentage of the bill was labor, I suspect that it's very difficult to service any Beetle engine. There's simply no room for a mechanic's hands to do what they have to do.
  • jcorraljcorral Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2000 2.0 VW bug Gls automatic. The problem is the transmission takes 2- 4 seconds to engage in reverse. I took the car to my dealer and was told that the car has a fuzzy logic transmission and does not engage in reverse quickly. The problem is in parking on a hill or making a quick 3 point turn the car fails me and rolls forward. I drove a 2000 vw jetta and this was not a problem. My car goes from reverse to drive instantly, but from drive or park to reverse there is a 2-4 second delay. I am very dissatisfied and want to know if others have this problem or it this is really normal.

Thanks
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    Just a visitor to your VW forum. Regarding the transmission and the dealer's "fuzzy logic" response, I would suggest that you go to (another) dealership and ask to test drive the same model car as the one you own. If you have to be sneaky about it and their is only one VW dealer where you live, ask a friend to take the car for a test drive and see if the transmission does the same thing.

I had a transmission "glitch" on my 2000 Hyundai, and by test driving a new car with the same specs, I was able to determine that I either I did not have a problem, or that ALL Hyundai cars suffer the same glitch. Saved me from waiting on the service department, and Hyundai a lot of paperwork, time and money.

P.S. I've heard of "fuzzy logic" being used in a transmission in regards to the transmission/engine "adapting" to a driver's habits, but I don't think this would apply to this car, and especially to reverse gear.
  • dddoctordddoctor Member Posts: 1
    TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS. I wish we had never bought one. First the cruise control starting shorting out. They said a wire was crimped and they fixed it. Then the air conditioner went out. They said it was an EC control module and they replaced it. Then the AC went out again. This time they said they replaced the compressor. Then only sometimes when you turned on the AC the car would hum and shake, like you were in a Cessna Airplane. They replaced another part and the problem has not reoccurred. When we bought the car the dealer had already installed a spoiler. The rear hatch relocks half-way before you can get out of the car and open the hatch. It has been in the shop 7 or more time to have this fixed and it still only works right half the time. VW admits some fault and the area representative was willing to five us a cd player or make a car payment or extend our warranty for free. We are going to sell the car this month.
  • bugeyedfrogbugeyedfrog Member Posts: 1
    1999 VW Yellow Beetle-awesome car, horrible reliability.

Enter initial 5000 mile maintenance. One week later, trans is leaking oil.

After getting that "fixed", a week later it appears that there is again an oil leak. Dealership fixed the leak, but now the trans is shifting hard. Very hard into gear. This is an automatic, mind you. Supposedly this is normal for the VW trans?

Next, two weeks later, enter airbag light, whcih seems to be the most common problem appearing on this page. I too am a victim of this problem, which was quick and easy to repair.

Now we have a problem with the driver's side power window. Will it ever end?

All incidents, no more than two weeks apart begining only after one month of ownership and extending to current time, the beginning of the third month of ownership.

Is it no wonder that VW only puts a two year warranty on their cars? Look at Toyota people-better warranty, more reliable cars. Too bad they aren't as stylish as the bug. But isn't getting places because your transportation was reliable enough to get you there less stylish than not getting there at all because all your free time is spent at the dealership?

Hmmm....
  • tonyantonyan Member Posts: 10
    Post your problems in

http:///www.myvwlemon.com

good luck
  • bugnutbugnut Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to speak out that I have a '99 GLS NB with 26000 miles and have had no major problems with it. I have only had in for scheduled maintenance and had the fuel filler flap adjusted and the airbag reset while it was there. I was always a VW owner and will continue to be one. Right now I working on getting a Vapor Blue 1.8t.
  • sau1sau1 Member Posts: 10
    I bought a brand new VW Bug in 1973 when the bug was still the symbol of quality. Did not like it (too light) and sold it in two months. My brother bought a VW Golf in the eighties. Have nothing but problems. No one in our family bought any VW again in the nineties. There are so many fun and reliable cars in the market, why subject yourself to a brand that somehow just can't get the bugs out of their products???
    Had a '71 Super Beetle for about six years, bought used, maybe it was in '74. Loved it. Whenever it broke down (which was not all that infrequently) it cost me about $45 to get it fixed. Sometimes only $25. And AAA paid the tow. ;-)

Pat
  • myvwlemonmyvwlemon Member Posts: 14
    Post problems at www.MyVWLemon.com
  • ddbugddbug Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to buy a new VW Beetle in Atlanta. Would appreciate if someone could help me by telling me tips to get a good deal with an indication of price to be paid. Also if some other things are to be kept in mind before making the purchase.
    Hello ddbug, welcome to Town Hall!

Actually, I think you'll find better information on purchasing this vehicle over in our Hatchbacks conference. Here are links to a couple of topics you'd probably like to take a look at:

New Beetle News (Topic #179)

New Beetle Prices Paid (Topic #225)

Good luck!

Pat
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Hi!

I owned a '99 New Beetle GLS (2.0L gas w/auto transmission) and found that it also consumed oil at an alarming rate. Over 1 quart of oil between oil changes. I followed a 3,000 mile oil change schedule, not the long intervals recommended by VW.

When I first bought the car and read the part in the manual about checking the oil level at every fuel fill-up, it seemed like they were being overly cautious. Well, it appears as though they were subtley warning the owner that these cars eat oil.

Not quite sure what can be done if it is a common VW characteristic, which it appears it is.
  • lansharklanshark Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

We have 2000 Turbo Beetle. At 4500 miles the clutch fried. Cost to replace? $1500+. I have owned a 74 Super Beetle, 83 GTI, 85 Jetta Diesel, and a 87 Jetta GLI. Numerous other cars with a manual transmission. I believe I have about 250000 miles on cars with sticks. The only clutch trouble I've ever had was a 1967 Corvair with a broken Clutch Cross Shaft. The dealer couldn't find a replacement so the re-welded it incorrectly and the clutch could not be adjusted properly.

Other than that, I never had trouble with a clutch.

The Beetle. My son was learning to drive a stick on it when it happened. He was in the car for a total of 30 minutes under the supervision of an adult driver. He never misused the clutch and was driving in a parking lot or a industrial park access road.

Dealer and VW said it was abusive driving. I don't agree, but what can you do. I didn't buy the TDI I was looking at and after reading about the service I won't consider it.

I think it is time for VW to sell cars in another country. I won't buy them any more.
  • kelswvukelswvu Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a '98 new beetle, and have had major problems. My computer needed to be replaced 2 weeks after buying the car. My electric window motor broke and the glass fell of the track in the middle of a hurricane. My backseat would not fold down. (luckily those were under warranty) Now that I've owned it for 2 years and have 30,000 miles, all of the freon leaked out of my AC but they can't find the leak, my glove compartment stays closed only when it wants to, my visor light above the passenger seat comes on at will and stays on if I'm not careful to check it before I get out of the car. And to top it all off, my battery blew up!! I love the car but I can't afford to make my payments plus all the repairs! I thought VW's were supposed to be reliable!!!
  • chuckc2chuckc2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 GLS and because I dont drive the car much , the battery was discharged, after charging the battery I found the radio had to have a security code programmed in to it before it would work, I do not have the code as the car was bought used with 6000mi on it. The previous owner had removed the code from the radio card. Can anyone tell me how to obtain the code short of driving the 150 miles to the nearest VW Dealer?
  • rfrazier1rfrazier1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife recently crashed her 2000 1.8T. She says she was at a stop light, released the brake, and the car (an automatic) accelerated into the truck in front of her. At first I was sceptical, but after reading the various posts relating to electrical problems, I am thinking she may be right. Do these car actually use a fly by wire system for the accelerator? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
  • bucki1bucki1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2000 VW Beetle. Here is my story on burning oil. One day my oil light flashed on as I turned the corner. Dummy me I did not check the oil. The next day the check engine light came on, I checked the oil. What a surprise, no oil on the dip stick. Now, it had been 5,000 miles, and I was due for an oil change. I took my car in. I was told that all of the beetles are burning oil. I was told something about a piston package?? being put in upside down and that is why oil burns. They did an oil change and an oil consumption test and told me to come back in 1000 miles for a check. Yesterday was the check up. I was told that the oil was normal. Well it looked low to me, but what do I know. I was advised that the dip stick only registers 2 quarts of oil and so when nothing is on the stick, there is still 2 1/2 quarts to 3 quarts in the car. Anyway, I was then told that eventually, VW would be offering me a new engine in the car or $2500 for the purchase of a new car. Now they are changing their story saying that the oil consumption problem is only in the 98 and 99 beetles and that they have yet to see the problem in the 2000. I was also told that VW says that it is normal for the car to burn oil for the first 10,000 to 15,000 miles. My car currently as about 12,000. At any rate, I hope this has made sense, and I would love to hear some feedback.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    they are at www.auto.com
    Just released
    vw new beetle is #123 of the models listed. Industry average is at position #90.
    So, worse than industry average in initial quality.
  • k273k273 Member Posts: 26
    My airbag light just came on, out of the blue. This is apparently a common problem on new NB right off the dealer's lot... but my NB is two-year old and has over 30000 miles on it, which means it's outside warranty.

The dealer ran some diagnostic tests on the car and found out that the airbag CPU is fried, and needs to get replaced. The problem is that it costs over 600 bucks plus at least one hour of labor. Pretty steep!

I'll try to check with VW if they can replace my airbag CPU without charge, and this being a pretty common problem on the NBs involving driver's safety, I'll also check if it can't be the subject of yet another recall on this car.

Anyway folks, before your car goes outside warranty, try to see if you can't check on your costly aibag CPU's health. There's no telling when it will bail out on you.
  • ladybug123ladybug123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a yellow y2k beetle, love it but only into it's third month problems already!! Ihad to have towed it wouldn't start, it needed a new relay switch that goes to fuel pump!! also air bag light on which new wires are being replaced as we speak!! I nick named her lemonade wonder why??? I hope this is the end, there are alot of bugs out there with no problems
  • zoefaezoefae Member Posts: 3
    my beetles battery keeps dyeing ! its only 3 months old !!! i have brought it in 3 times & they cant find whats wromg . i dont know what to do !!
  • littleredbuglittleredbug Member Posts: 2
    VW BEETLE OWNERS >>> CHECK YOUR OIL!!
    We have a '98 beetle that is mysteriously using oil ... not burning, not leaking. We noticed it at about 15M miles(about 5M miles since the last service) when the oil light came on. Investigation showed it was down 2 quarts. Dealer questioned whether we had changed the oil every 5M miles (which incidentally isn't recommended in the manual, nor is it covered in their "2 years maintenance" warranty). We brought it in and paid for an extra oil change. They recommended bringing it back every 1000 miles for them to record the fact that it was down. Upon rechecking, the technician said they were having problems with many of the Beetles/ and the 4 cylinder Golf/Jetta. Initially indicated it was due to the fact that the engine was designed for a 100% synthetic oil that's available only in Germany. Also suggested that the oil might be evaporating :O). Again recommended we bring it in every 1000 miles to record how far down it was going. After 1000 miles, the oil's down about 1/2 quart. Today's dealer story is that VW probably won't do anything about it if it's burning less than a quart/1000 miles!!, but we need to have a third check before they'll make a call.
  • gagengingagengin Member Posts: 1
    We love our New Beetle, however, the check engine light has been on more than off since we bought it in April 1998. Our local dealer could not seem to find the cause after several calls and visits. They would reset the light and send us on our way. Finally, after the warranty ran out, the dealer discovered that it was the Throttle Body Control and it would cost us approx $500 to fix. We have also had problems with the driver side door handle (repair in excess of $500), frequent oil changes (it burns oil), headlight replacement (cost over $100), poor radio performace (replaced under warranty with no improvement)and power window swithces falling off on both doors. We have 51,000 highway miles registered on this vehicle. We are selling it to cut our losses. Volkswagon would not hear about any of these problems because of the mileage. It is our misfortune that these problems were diagnosed after the warranty expired even though they occurred, were reported and/or showed signs well before 24,000 miles (i.e., during the first year of use. We are discouraged with Volkswagon Company. They Certainly contrast with how the Japanese do business - we are going to stick with Toyota, Honda etc.
This discussion has been closed.