Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Sable Problems

1235»

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    With most newer vehicles, when the engine's running the shifter can't be moved out of Park unless the brake pedal's depressed. This closes a brake pedal activated switch which energizes a solenoid on the shifter linkage. The problem is likely the switch out of adjustment, a defective Park interlock solenoid, or an open circuit in the associated wiring.
  • drstevenjdrstevenj Member Posts: 9
    A good guess and it might be another possible cause for a`case of Acute Sable Parkritis (ASP)-- that left this poor guy in a parking lot with a his Sable unable, hopelessly yanking on his gearshift (so to speak), while Roadside Assistance was justa flappin in the wind--

Any other ideas? Any other owners have ASP and find treatment or cure?
  • slzslz Member Posts: 10
    I don't know if the 2000 Sable has the adjustable brake pedal but in the 2001 Sable the brake pedal is adjustable and there is a recall out for it. Supposedly, there is too much grease around the switch in some cars (or something like that) which can intefere with it detecting if the brake is depressed. I believe the recall said that it is possible that one of the side effects of this would be not being able to get the car out of park. So, this is my guess....
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    Greetings Drstevenj,

SLZ (both 2000 & 2001's have the adjustable pedals) hit the nail on the head concerning the safey recall and your Sable's gearshift not moving at all. In my original post (#179) I placed the entire safety recall notice 01S08 which concerned the adjustable brakes. I've cut and pasted it below for you. One of the problems outlined is "Cannot shift the vehicle out of "Park." This is most likely the problem that is affecting your 2000 Sable. Please see below. Hopefully your Mercury dealer will correct the problem for you as soon as possible.

Hi all,
    Just received a safety recall notice (01S08) today in the mail from Mercury. It deals with both 2000 & 2001 Sables and Taurus's that have the power adjustable pedals.
    "Grease used on the adjustable pedal assembly may enter the brake lamp switch and contaminate the contacts. This may cause one or more of the following symptoms to occur:
    -Brake lights stay illuminated or are inoperative.
    -Shift Interlock disabled (will be able to shift out of "Park" position without depressing the brakes.
    -Speed Control will not activate.
    -Cannot shift the vehicle out of "Park."
    -ABS Warning light illuminates on vehicles with ABS
    -Battery Discharged"
    The recall stated to call the dealer for an appointment without delay. I called ahead and the parts department did not have the parts in stock as they had not yet received notification from Ford. The Parts Manager stated that he should have parts within 3-4 business days.
    Thought all you 2000 & 2001 Sable & Taurus owners with adjustable pedals should know about this safety recall.
    Thanks for your ideas! I think you all are correct that the car can stick in Park for a number of reasons related to braking/electrical problems--

I just had the recall done to the adjustable brake pedal a week before-- and the problem was that there was a shorted brake lamp that blew a brake lamp fuse-- the dealer replaced the bulb, the fuse, and the same switch that had been replaced in the recall (I wonder whether it was a shorted lamp that caused the switch to fail, or a defective switch that caused the bulb to short)-- the dealer (there is one person in service who I won't work with any more by my request, and the other two service managers who are outstanding, in my opinion) made the repair at no charge-- much appreciated...

Hers the rest of the story-- and the take home message--

I called Roadside Assistance on Sunday morning (remember, I was stuck on Sat night and the Roadside Representative had never heard of the problem), figuring that the Sat nit people might have less experience (usually ewer employees get stuck working the Sat evening shifts-- always was that way in settings where I have worked)-- the Re on Sunday said he had dealt with this many times, that it was probably brake/electrical related and MOST IMPORTANTLY-- HE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO TO GET THE CAR OUT OF PARK-- you press the emergency brake and the brake pedal at the same time, put the key in the ignition, turn it either one or two notches (try both-- for me it was 1/2 a notch!) and the car will come out of Park and you can drive it (it will lock back in Park each time you shift to Park-- but the procedure will get you out and let you navigate to the nearest gas station or to the dealer). When i looked over the owners manual, the procedure is sort of described in a small paragraph-- so suggest YOU GO OVER IT-- 'the shifter you save, may be your own....' (sic...)

I did ask to speak to a Roadside Assistance Rep's supervisor, and complimented the person Sunday morning and expressed my concern about not receiving the info on Sat-- the supervisor said he would talk with the Sat person-- i said that was good, but i thought that Roadside Assistance should accept partial responsibility for my expense for the taxi and the rental-- they said to take it up with my dealer-- so i asked for the supervisor's supervisor in case i needed to call back...

my dealer was great (which he has been since we have established a rapport over the first year) i gave him copies of the receipts, and a detailed description of the situation (i had the names and extensions of all the people i had spoken with), and they cut me a check in less than a week--

So anyway that's the story, and i hope that it will help people to review the 'outa park' procedure, and save others an inconvenience.

Take care amigo/as,
    steve
  • harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    This type of info is precisely why I visit this site! Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something new from someone here.

While I have the "stump" - Sable owners seem to a "kinder, gentler" breed. None of the flaming I see on some other brands' pages goes on here. Congratulations! Sooner or later we're all likely to need a dollop of assistance. It's a pleasure to surf and learn here.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    My Merc Sable SW gas mileage is getting better
    and better. Just as the price of gas is getting
    more and more like highway robbery or high sea
    piracy if you will.

I had the recall fix done about a month ago. The
    SW feels solid, handles great, is comfortable and
    roomy. I still don't know however where the switch
    for the back window washer is located. I filled the reservoir but can't use it. I posed the question to the Taurus/Sable SW's thread but no one answered. I'm a little embarrassed to ask this
    question but I need to know.
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    with our 2000 Sable Premium LS. It rides so much better than our 99 Taurus SE. The sound systems seems better, and none of the nagging problems that I've experienced with the Ford,(knock on wood). It sounds crazy but it seems there is so much more attention to detail paid with the Mercury.
    Appreciate your message-- I enjoy this list too as a place to exchange ideas and learn--
    I did go in today to schedule appointment to have the light switch recall done-- told the service manager how pleased I am with the way he has taken care of the Sable-- told him that I would buy another Sable from him in a heartbeat-- then couldn't resist, and said, I may need to buy another one today, to use as a backup when this one gets stuck in Park.... he said they may not let me buy another Sable-- I told him I will work on my sense of humor-- he said I'm on probation--

Seriously, I have been satisfied with the service and the personal touch they have extended at the dealership-- I probably will buy another Sable (I bought it for the car seat and the adjustable pedals-- was the most comfortable driving position i have found in a car-- much more comfortable seat and pedal placement than the Volvo-- the gas pedal placement toward the center of the floorboard causes right foot and leg numbness on long drives-- and pressure on the sciatic-- happens in alota foriegn cars-- any way it didn't on the Sable for me)-- so will probably buy another one in a year-- the service manager did say they may be willing to help me buy another Volvo instead-- depending on my behavior.
    Take car(e),
    steve
    I had lunch with my best friend today. He's a retired Ford engineer. He's in the market for a new Grand Marquis. During our conversation, he told me Ford now allows employees (and retired employees) to give a "Ford Friends & Neighbors" certificate to "friends and neighbors." This will get them the same deal employees get: dealer cost. So if you know anyone who works for Ford, ask about it. Also, I understand Ford may be cutting off special orders in a couple of weeks, so act quickly if you're interested.

Now - re: the Volvo. A buddy used to own one. At the time, Volvo. was playing up in its ads how long its cars were lasting on the road. My buddy said that was because after five years, every darned part in the car had required replacement!

Ouch!
    Thanks for your info on the Ford employee and family perk-- when I am in market for new car, will ask my dealer if there are any such coupons available-- actually did ask whether there is going to be a new model in next few years that will be step up from the Sable (but not the AS-- which I didn't like-- felt it was trying too hard to look like a performance car-- just didn't come together for me when took a test drive-- thought if I wanted this, would go up the street and get a BOW 300 series, or a Pas sat-- and did test them-- along with the different models of Volvo, but the Sable seat and adjustable pedals made the decision for me--)and turns out there will be new model similar to new Jaguar I series that will be out next summer in the high 20's to low 30's-- will be something to watch for--

Regarding your buddy with the Volvo-- I didn't experience major repair expense as long as car was well maintained throughout-- what i really enjoyed was the handling and driving-- the engine just purred-- accelerating from a stop light was like being in a jet-- steady power, no passing gears, great little turbo helped alot, there were very few rattles (even at 175K), no blind spots--could see 360, mirrors well placed, controls were generally right where you wanted them-- it did have a stiff ride at low speeds, but at 85 this car felt like it drove itself-- felt everybit as good as a Mercedes at half the price and a quarter of what it would cost for maintenance-- also bought used Volvo's for about 10k with 80k miles, and sold them with 170k for about 6-7k dollars-- not a bad return-- lastly was unfortunately in a first accident last summer in my 90 volvo wagon-- buck walked right in front of car on two lane-- was doing about 60-- hit brakes-- heard dull thud, deer went flying forward and off to side of road, my front end was dented, the hood was creased, and inside, my soda spilled that was it-- felt terrible about the deer who died, and shaken up, but drove car 40miles to where i live, and left it at dealer for repair-- the reputation about driving in a tank seems credible to me--
    It could be that other cars would also have done well-- the Sable has a good safety rating, and i did get side air bags-- and it is much more comfortable for me to sit in and drive...
    Take care,
    steve
    Ooops-- I meant the LS not AS, and BMW not BOW;
    I knew Sable was a great car, but no problems whatsoever? Wow! I'm headed to the dealership Tuesday to "upgrade" mine!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    After reading some of the posting on this board, it appears people are much happier with the Mercury Sable then the Ford Taurus. I'll be shopping for a car in August/September. I'm especially interested in the Ford employee "Friends plan" and any other incentive Ford is offering at that time. How much over invoice (or under) did everyone pay for their Sable?

The Sable doesn't seem to have that "rental car stigma" that the Taurus has. Plus it seems to hold up better then the Ford. Any observations?
    Today the emission control icon on my 2000 Mercury Sable came on-- one weird little icon in my never to be humble opinion-- sure scored low on my list of immediately recognizable symbols-- so after looking at it for a block, quickly pulling over and getting out my trusty Sables translation manual-- found out what the icon meant (and that, thank goodness, the car was not gonna stick itself in park again-- from my previous posting)--I called the dealer and asked him what would make the emissions control light come on-- C told him that C had not been eating alot spicy foods, and always carry Rolaids-- he said while diet will help some, it was probably a mechanical hang and likely easy to fix--

Has anyone else had this light come on--and lived to tell about it (C have 24K miles on it)? If no one lived, does anyone know someone who had this problem? What happened? Did diet help extend the quality of life? Maybe it would help if C changed my Firestone tires.....

Really, if anyone has some info-- i would appreciate it
    Thx
    The spell checking changed stuff on my last posting that i didn't OK-- and there wasn't even an icon.... here's the more readable version

Today the emission control icon on my 2000 Mercury Sable came on-- one weird little icon in my never to be humble opinion-- sure scored low on my list of immediately recognizable symbols-- so after looking at it for a block, quickly pulling over and getting out my trusty Sablese translation manual-- found out what the icon meant (and that, thank goodness, the car was not gonna stick itself in park again-- from my previous posting)--I called the dealer and asked him what would make the emissions control light come on-- I told him that I had not been eating alot spicy foods, and always carry Rolaids-- he said while diet will help some, it was probably a mechanical thang and likely easy to fix--

Has anyone else had this light come on--and lived to tell about it (I have 24K miles on it)? If no one lived, does anyone know someone who had this problem? What happened? Did diet help extend the quality of life? Maybe it would help if I changed my Firestone tires.....

Really, if anyone has some info-- i would appreciate it
    Thx
  • wsmplswsmpls Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 Sable GS with 17,000 miles this past November and it's been fine, except... every now and then the windshield wipers go once by themselves... sometimes after a turn, sometimes for no apparent reason. Anyone heard of this? Also, I often get a very strange smell through the vents when I come to a stop and have the control on "vent". It could be a fuel smell, not sure, but smells like airplane glue or something.
    I've read about fuel smells and advice about keeping the tank full of gas, but haven't tried this yet. Also, someone said their smell didn't happen in winter. I got the car in November and didn't notice the smell until probably April (when winter finally ends in Minnesota). Any advice on this one? Thanks.
    I have an appointment at the dealer on the 23rd, but have little faith in that after what I've read here.
  • inakayinakay Member Posts: 1
    I have had front and rear brakes replaced on my 1999 Sable. I have also had adjustments. Each time the care drives okay, but within a week or two it reverts back to shaking upon braking. It feels like it is coming from the rear. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do?
  • sail1sail1 Member Posts: 1
    It is the ABS braking operating. You should be able to feel the pulsation in your brake pedal.
  • sableowner2sableowner2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1998 Sable LS w/the Duratec V6 and 32,000 miles on it. I have the auto temp control, and tonite I had it set on 70 degrees. It was a relatively cool night, so it was not blowing that much. The temperature gauge was at its usual spot. However, when I turned the car off the fan stayed on--and wouldn't shut off! The fan staying on had happened to me a few times before, but only on very hot days when I had the A/C blowing hard. Even these times it only stayed on for a minute. As I write this post my car is sitting outside blowing air out of the front grill! The temp. gauge has long since dropped to Cold, and I can see no reason for the fan to still be on. Fortunately I purchased the vehicles used about two months ago, and it came with a 90 warranty, per Massachusetts Lemon Law. Assuming the car will start, I will be bringing it sraight to my dealer tommorrow morning. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any response would be greatly appreciated!
  • sable2001sable2001 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a new 2001 LS Premium last December, but held onto the '93 because I didn't think I'd get my money's worth on the trade-in. The 93 has been extremely reliable throughout the years, having gone through about a 6 year period of having to do *nothing* but replace the brakes, tires, and oil from wear and tear (oh, and all those &#* recall notices!). It is a shame that I am faced with the time-bomb issue of the head gaskets (I have 81K miles on the car), since this has the 3.8L engine. So far so good, but I feel like a patient who has been diagnosed with a bad heart that can go at any time.

Anyway, the 93 has been great through the years up to a couple of months ago when it started leaking oil very slightly in my driveway (and everywhere else for that matter). I finally made an appointment a week ahead of time and just then a significant clunking noise appeared in the forward part of the car. I read some posts hear about clunks, but the source/cause seemed to be all over the place in people's experiences.

The diagnosis? My oil pan was rusted (I live in the brutal/salty wintry northeast). The mechanic (non-dealer) said he has seen a number of taurus/sable oil pans rust out. And the clunk was from a stabilizer bar that had come loose. He welded it back. The total cost was $380 and the car is fine again.
  • mtebbensmtebbens Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a 2002 Sable LS Premium Sedan with 5-passenger seating w/Floor Shift/Floor Console, and the upgraded Audio group with the 6 CD changer.

Does anyone know if the CD changer will be located in the trunk, or the floor console ?
  • sable2001sable2001 Member Posts: 3
    The 6 disc CD player on the 2001 is located under the center console/arm rest. It's pretty convenient. The only minor complaint I have about the setup is that there is only space to fit in 3 CD cases under the console instead of all 6, so you either have to bring all/some of the cases into the house, or leave them floating around the car out in the open (I guess you could also get yourself a CD carrying bag, but we're too cheap).

The sound system itself is excellent. In addition to the 6 CD's, there is also a tape deck in the dash console and the radio of course. The six speaker system really makes a difference in sound. I'm currently enjoying driving around listening to Nick Drake (anyone ever see that Volkswagen commercial a year or so ago?).
  • cfiore1cfiore1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 sable wagon, love the car but I'm afraid of potential problems. @ 27,000 miles my rotors were gone? @ 30,000 miles I found an oil leak in my front seal and a spot of rust starting at a seam around the rear tail gate. I'm also wondering if the "backfire recall" applied to my wagon. the dealer told me no, I heard otherwise. anyone with any help please let me know. thank you cfiore
  • randy7190randy7190 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a program 2000 Sable LS Premium with the 4V Duratec 3.0. The car has 20K miles. Having just gotten it home from the dealer, of course I love it. I will certainly follow these posts, and post any wins or losses with the car as I progress.
    Right now, it looks like the best thing to do is find out what the dealer has done (or not done) in the way of recalls, and what they say is available...
  • normie1normie1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new Mercury Sable Premium Wagon two months ago. In the last couple of days we have had torrential rain from the tropical depression passing near Florida. On Friday evening I got in the front passenger seat and found my feet in almost an inch of water. We wet-vacuumed it almost dry and today found almost as much water. The door and window were properly closed and the windshield appears not to be leaking. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I am going to the dealer tomorrow, but wanted to know if this is a common problem with this car.
  • mykem1mykem1 Member Posts: 29
    But I actually own a Ford product that runs. Have had my 2000 GS Wagon for a year now and am over the 10,000 mile hurdle.

Quiet. Refined. Not even a click or a squeak. I can't believe it myself. Never owned a Ford that didn't gobble parts or transmissions. Promised I would never buy another, but this one was the safest in its class (important for the kiddies) and the only one with the nostalgic pop-up rear seat (which, like when I was a kid, my kids fight over and love).

I do keep looking over my shoulder and peering under the hood. I have the base, no frills 3.o liter, and I don't beat on it (the kids do).

We will see, we will see. Still smilin for now!
  • randy7190randy7190 Member Posts: 2
    As per my previous post, I bought a used 2000 Sable Sedan with 20K miles. I have added 1000 miles this last week and have not seen any of the problems described in earlier posts...
    No wandering, even in gusty winds.
    Very quiet on the freeway (I'm on my cell phone, so I would certainly notice)
    First three tanks of gas with a 3.0 liter have produced 30, 29, and 27mpg (a/c running constantly on the last one)
    Very smooth and crisp acceleration (I used to have a 1.9 liter Tracer, so anything is a step up!)
    One concern is that my dealer ran an "Oasis" report that documents all service work in the last 18 months provided by authorized dealers, and it states there are no recalls for this automobile. Previous posts led me to believe there should be a couple.
    Another problem was that, as a used car, I was only given one key - didn't think THAT would be a big deal. I was wrong - programmable keys are 29.00 each, along with a labor charge of 38.50 to program them. Spent 108.00 for two keys - ouch!
    Other than that, I am a happy camper so far. Feel free to e-mail for further details if you desire.
    I bought mine new and get the notices right as they come out. You have one for the adjustable brake/gas pedal (something about it locking if I remember correctly or wearing a wire). The other is for the stupid headlamp switch (apparently, it can fall off - wow). I still haven't had the switch replaced, but i did get the brake pedal thing installed.

You should be able to check with a dealer to see if your car has had these recal items done.

My wife still loves ours. That pop-up rear seat makes it for her (kids love it too). You do get comfort over handling, but it doesn't do too bad for a wagon. Most problems on this car are with the "other" V6. If you have the GS, chances are you don't have it. I researched carefully before I bought, and stayed away from the bigger V6 everyone was complaining about.

Wish I got your MPG! I drive 70MPH and have yet to get more than 27 or 28MPG on the highway. It has gotten as low as 18 in town. But, I do step on the gas, and so does my wife. When we are on the highway, we are loaded down with kids, bags, and a 120lb German Shepard (so I guess that figures into it).

Thanks for the heads up on the keys! I will be very careful with mine from now on!
  • howiefishhowiefish Member Posts: 1
    I enjoy my car very much, BUT recently it developed a VERY STRANGE problem. First the radio cut off BUT when I put it in park it intermittently worked. If I removed it from park it went off. NOW when I place it in drive the power steering seem to cut off with the radio, BUT when I put the car in park the power steering seems to come on along with the radio sometimes.

The car has only 36,600 miles and I take excellent care of it.

HELP

ANY SUGGESTION? Hfishbein@cfl.rr.com
    You have a short somewhere. I am no electrical whiz, but I would bet a large chunk of cash on it. Take a look at your fuse diagram in your owner's manual and see if those items are on the same fuse (doubt it, but check). If it is not in the fuse, you have a wiring harness somewhere that is shorting out.

DId you recently wash the engine bay? Sometimes those high-pressure sprayers can get water into junction boxes and wiring harnesses - causing intermittent problesm like you describe.
  • billp36billp36 Member Posts: 3
    Had the head gasket fail on my 94 sable last summer. Engine was replace under the extended warranty. Last week the head gasket failed again also taking out the engine. The new engine was only covered for 12 months/ 12,000 miles. The engine was 13 months old. Does anyone know why the original engine was covered for 7 years and this new one is only warranted for 1 year. Also has anyone had any luck fighting Ford about this.
  • smmsmmsmmsmm Member Posts: 8
    My '97 Sable Wagon just had the "Service Engine Soon" light come on. Does anyone know of a do-it-yourself way to determine the cause of this ? I am in the process of trying to sell the car and only last month my mechanic "changed some sensor" due to the fact that the "check engine" light had come on........ Any help greatly appreciated.....thanks
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Your vehicle is OBD-II compliant and a scan tool will be required to retrieve the stored diagnostic trouble code relating to the system/circuit fault which set the check engine light. Btw, a common cause is a loose gas cap.
  • mtebbensmtebbens Member Posts: 2
    Just received my new factory order 2002 Mercury Sable LS Premium.... White/Medium Graphite Leather Bucket, 3.0L 4V V-6 Duratec, MoonRoof, 5 Passenger Seating, Secure Group and Mach Audio/6-CD Changer.

If there are any questions about this model, just let me know. So far everything works great, I love this car !

Matthew
  • lou30lou30 Member Posts: 1
    I am now considering the purchase of the 2001 or 2002 Sable with the 4 valve V6 engine. I currently own a '96(first year of newer body styling) with the 2 valve v6. Although my engine has been 'ultra'-reliable, I once rented a Sable with the 4v engine and the extra power was a blast. However, since the other engine is heavier, I perceived a little more "nose-dive" in braking and cornering. Was it me, or is this the case? Also, I have read about reliability concerns with the 4V engine. Are these unfounded?
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    ... and I have been very happy with it. The car is very fast, and it has been very reliable so far (41,000 miles). I think that your fears of "nose dive" are unfounded. I have 2 Taurii, one with each engine, and I think that they handle comparably. In fact, the 24valve is probably a lighter engine (aluminum heads).

As far as handling goes, the best thing that I did was to replace the crappy General tires that came on the car with Michelin Pilots. The car sticks to the road like glue in all conditions. My 2000 Taurus wagon came with Continental tires as OE, which are pretty good.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    is an aluminum motor. My '96 Sable has over 100k and the only repair was the A/C clutch. Apparently the magnets wore out. IIRC, the repair was about $300, including the clutch. This is my 4th Sable. The last one had the 3.8L motor with no head gasket problem and 175k!
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    A friend of mine has a '93 Sable, the charging system light came on, took it in and had the system checked out. Guy said it checked out ok, but the car was aging and the alt. might have a regulator going bad, so he had it replaced. Light went out for a few weeks then came back on, so he replaced the battery, even with the new battery the light stayed on. Has anyone else had this problem? What to check next.
  • freckfreck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Sable with a pretty stange problem.
    I cannot get the car out of park when the temperature is cold - say below 35 degrees or so.
    The car starts okay but will not shift out of park until the engine warms up a little. I don't have the problem if I leave the car in neutral with the emergency brake on (instead of "Park"). Any ideas on what could be causing this?
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    It sounds like a bad shifter cable, my friends mom had the same problem on her Taurus. New cable solved the problem. let us know if it fixes the problem.
  • e_sablee_sable Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Mercury Sable LS 3.0 Liter 24 valve
    engine. My problem is it is hard to start at times. It is like the engine is flooded and then
    it will start. I took it to the dealer and they
    replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the lines, but the problem still persists. Has anyone else
    had this problem with theirs?
This discussion has been closed.