Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tomhewtomhew Posts: 3
    I also have a 2004 C70 and when I bought it (used) the dealer had 2. The first one that I tested sounded like yours. Awful, loose front, rattled, just awful. It had 36,000 miles on it. The one that I bought has only 27K on it and its tight, handles good (except turning radius) and is generally very nice to drive. I'd find a good "private" shop that specializes in Volvos and have them make a recommendation. Good Luck!
  • tomhewtomhew Posts: 3
    I have 3 good & 1 not so good spoked wheels & tires for sale for a 2004 C70. I hit a pot hole and damaged one of the wheels so I replaced all 4 with new tires. I live in the Allentown PA area and I'm willing to consider a reasonable offer.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    I agree with Tomhew. You gotta take it to a shop where they can put it on a lift and inspect all of your bushings, endlinks, mounts, etc.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Can't compare a Camry and a C70 in the ride category.
    the C70 suspension is tuned very differently. shock and spring rates are much stiffer on the C70.
    Best advice would be to go to a 16" wheel/tire combo.
    No matter what, it will never ride like a Camry.
  • dug2dug2 Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 99 C70 with 79000 miles. A beautiful car and I am discovering that it has an engine lope at times (seems like a bucking feeling) it does not do it all the time. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix? :confuse:

Dug in Wisconsin
    does it do it while driving? when? accelerating? cruising at set speed? sitting at a traffic light? downhill? uphill? between shifts?

• dug2dug2 Posts: 2
    Mainly while cruising at various speeds. It can go a long way without doing it. Also it sounds like it is doing it at idle, I can see the tach move (100 rpm)
    Well, I experienced a couple of similar problems with my S70 T5. From the time of purchase (30k miles) to when I sold it (115k miles), it had a random stumble at idle while sitting at traffic lights. Dealer could never figure it out, although they did experience it, and it never caused a problem (ie, never stalled).

At one time, I did have it happen while cruising, as you describe. The dealer diagnosed that as what they called "a cracked plastic elbow inside the intake manifold." Cost me a couple hundred bucks to have them fix it. I had hoped it would also fix the idle stumble, but it didn't.

• s27s27 Posts: 1
    Three words.....ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY. Could need to be cleaned.Have had this same problem with my C70 3 times. A design problem that Volvo lost a class action lawsuit, having to pay for and/or service the part. Much on the net I'm sure. Google it. Your car may even qualify for free service if I remember correctly. Just a guess. :)
  • stanwictstanwict Posts: 60
    Hit a pot hole and blew out a Hankook this morning. :-( No way the Continental ContiComfortKit was going to get me going again. Called roadside service and had the car towed to the dealer. It's going to take three to five days for them to get a replacement tire.

I've got more than 13K miles on the Hankook's and I'm still very happy with them. This is the first time I’ve had a problem and it stink not having a spare! Now I'm thinking about getting a spare rim and tire which I'd keep at home. If I had one this morning my wife could have thrown it and a jack in the car and I would have been on my way for about the same money the dealer just quoted me for the tire, replacement TPS and Continental ContiComfortKit Replacement kit.
  • Hi,
    Both of the lenses on the drivers side of my 2004 C70 convertible were cracked in a hail storm. The car won't pass inspection until they are both repaired. The dealer insists on replacing the front assembly, which costs around $360; the rear lens is just under $100 plus installation etc. Can someone recommend a cheaper way out of this or a recommended after-market reseller?
  • Hi,
    The drivers side window won't go up properly and the window leaks rain which has gotten into the door. Is this typical? Anyone have an idea on what might be involved in fixing the leak? I've looked at the seal around the window and don't see anything unusual. It also causes very annoying wind noise :(

Should I continue to pay for expensive repairs on this car or just sell it? The entire body shudders and the body integrity seems to be falling apart. It has 80K miles on it.

Any opinions?
  • tmarttmart Posts: 998
    I've seen lenses only listed on Ebay, along with the complete assemblys. You could try your local junk yards. Good luck.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    ipd sells the lenses
  • I bought my volvo in Sept. 2006. The initial tires were selected by the dealer and were performance tires on 18 inch wheels only rated for 15000 miles. I now have 81000 miles and have been through 4 sets of tires,.. According to the dealership, Volvo found an excessive cambor problem with the back tires and fixed this on the 2010. Now they want me to pay for repair to my car. Very disappointed with Volvo service and quality.
  • bobparisbobparis Posts: 28
    What do you mean by "excessive cambor?" Can you elaborate?
  • tmarttmart Posts: 998
    Drain is clogged causing water to leak into the front passenger foot well. Was easy to get to on my prior cars but I can't find the location on the C70, first gen.
    Please advise. Thanks.
  • 2sleepy2sleepy Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 C70 Volvo and I have gone through ten tires just on the back. I am learning now there may be an issue with the cambor and Volvo has an after market piece they can put on the 2007 to correct the problem of the tires wearing too quickly. They also are indicating to me I will have to pay for this. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the tires on this particular car?
  • Seems I am about to wake up this very long thread. I am reading it from the beginning and has gotten to post #430..=*^)

The reason I am posting is because yesterday I bought a 2000 C70 2.0 LT coupe here in the UK. It's been lovingly cared for by an older gentleman and looks and runs and operates as new - tight, no squeaks or rattles, drives like a scalded rat and the sound system is out of the world, just like the seats..=*^)

It has 73K on the engine, just had a service with the cam belt replaced and tires are almost new on the rear and 50% on the front.

This is not the first Volvo I've owned. I had a P1800 way back in '70 in Sweden and the last one was a '92 940 I drove in Arizona. When I sold it it had 310,000 miles on the engine, didn't use any oil and never let me down doing the 60 mile round trip commute.

I am looking forward putting a couple of hundred thousand miles on this one..=*^)

It's going to be interesting to see how the tires wear...

Cheers from a (for once) snowy England.

C
  • By the way - it's a manual..=*^) :D