Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Passport Maintenance

2»

Comments

• One thing we forgot to mention in our above posting is that we have had numerous problems with the fuel gauge. The sending unit was found to be faulty the first time and replaced. It did not, however, fix the problem. We took it to our dealer again, and they replaced the sending unit again. We are still experiencing the problem. The gauge does not register the amount of fuel properly, so you never know how much fuel the vehicle has. Anyone else have this problem? Our E-mail is listed above. Please feel free to contact us. Thanks!
  • We just purchased a new 2000 Honda Passport. It vibrates at speeds in excess of 45 MPH (like a bad balancing). In speaking with a Honda Mechanical Technician, he was qouted as saying "It seems as if they (Isuzu) haven't fixed this problem yet. It's not as bad in the 2001 as the 2000 or so I hear".

Please.... I beg of you.... Don't purchase this vehicle. The Engine light comes on all the time.
    The list of minor to major issues I have with my Honda go on and on and on and on.....

The dealership is happy and cordial about my plight, but never seem to permanently remedy my SUV's issues.

I'll try the ring kit fix this time. I'm going to head to the local Isuzu dealership. They may have some added expertise in this area.

Don't buy a Passport.
    Get a Honda Accord.
  • I have a porblem with the 4wd drive, the icon on the dash wouln't go out and it is stuck in 4wd drive. The dealer said it is a solenoid accuater on the transfer case that is bad and as of Nov. 1st they can't get a new one till the end of the month, maybe. They have given me a rental car for the time but I am woundering if anyone else has had or is having the same problem. It's strange that Honda and Isuzu and both back ordered on the part.

Jack jmcwilli@sandi.net
  • I recently had a 3 inch suspension lift kit installed on my 97 Passport and have picked up a nice growling vibration when I initially accelerate off the line. I have traced this to the center support bearing, which supports the two part driveshaft at the union between the two. Mine had completely collapsed in the past and is only now noticible due to the increased angle of the driveshafts brought on by the lift kit. If you guys are having similiar issues, have that bearing checked.
  • ck_81ck_81 Posts: 4
    I am interested in buying a 1995.5 or 1996 Passport and was wanting any feedback as to why or why not to buy this SUV...thanks for any help you can give
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    ck,

Do a search for passport. You will see several topics, particularly in the SUV conference that will be a better place to get this question answered.

Not trying to discourage anyone from answering...
    but the other conferences will get a better response.

Your host, Bruce
  • Welcome to the Maintenance & Repair Conference. Advertising in our Town Hall forums is in violation of our Town Hall rules, so your post #39 has been deleted.

Please feel free to participate in our Town Hall forums within the guidelines of our Participant Agreement. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • I am very surprised that Honda would put their name on this vehicle. I continue to get the run around from the dealer. Still vibrates at 50+ mph. The dealer now says it is the tires! Sound familiar? I have documentation of all scheduled maintenance and even had a "shim kit" installed, which didn't do a thing. Leith Honda in Raleigh, NC doesn't provide a loaner vehicle, so each time I am able to make it in, it costs me another $50 for a rental.
  • Hello fellow passport owners. I have experienced the same vibration problems with my 200 exl, it is 2wd. I am most disappointed with both Honda and the dealer. Honda has never even called me after I have submitted some very point blank surveys about my dissatisfaction. The dealer has done the shim deal and 2 separate hi-speed balance acts as well. I have also had a high speed balance done elsewhere. Guess what, they think it might be the tires! Funny how we have all these different brand tires causing the same problem! (mine are goodyear wranglers). I have owned 3 other SUV's and this is the worst, it vibrates miserabley over 50 and feels very unsafe at 65 or above. I would steer anyone away from the passport and honda in general based on my experience. Too bad, because otherwise it's a good-looking vehicle and no other problems.

How many others out there are having this problem?
  • The 4wd on my new Passport is not working. It has never worked since I purchased the car 3 months ago. I bought this vehicle just for the 4wd and I can't used it. The part is on back order from Honda. They just got a release date today. I hope this fixes the problem permanently. Has anyone else experienced that.
  • I've had brake noise problems on my 1998 Passport since I first purchased it. For the first couple of thousand miles, my local dealer lubed and deglazed the brake pads. I finally gave up trying to get the problem fixed and Honda extended the base warranty on the brakes only to 5 years or 60K miles.

Recently, I experienced noise and a shuddering upon braking. I brought the car (with 32K miles on it) in to a different dealer and they determined that the problem was due to "the rotors and drums being out of spec". The rotors and drums were turned to the tune of $216. I thought that such a repair would be covered under the warranty. When I found out it wasn't, the dealer "graciously" gave me an hour goodwill time, reducing my bill down to $144. I had brought the car in to this dealer a few weeks before for its 30K maintenance. At the time, there was no problem noted with the brakes and the pads had 6mm/3mm front and rear, respectively, remaining.

I also complained to Honda, which rejected my claim, stating that the repair is maintenance-related and is not covered under the warranty. They also said that the problem is probably due to the way I drive the car, implying that I brake too hard.

Has anyone else out there had a similar problem? Do you think it is unreasonable for my drums and rotors to be turned at 32K miles?
  • I've been reading bad comments about the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute and thought that I had better look elsewhere for my SUV After reading comments here the Escape and Tribute don't sound that bad any more.
  • I have a 1997 Honda Passport which has 59,000 miles on it - I just put the 4th set of tires on it. When we purchased this vehicle it was used with 21,000 miles on it. The tires that was on it was dipped (Kelly Spring field tires) - when you run your hands over them there was high and low spots. The dealer said this was lack of rotation. We agreed that with a new set of tires we would buy this vehicle. The dealer put new Good year Wrangler tires on at 25,000 miles. Here we are at 59,000 just putting another set of tires on - to replace the dipped Good year Wranglers. Mind you not from lack of rotation - they were rotated every 5,000 per National Tire. As I was going over the fact that we now have had 3 sets of tires - I found the original papers from the previous owner - the Kelly tires were put on at 15,000 miles. Therefore making this 4 sets of tires in 59,000 miles. Guess what the dealer says that it is not a Honda problem it is a tire problem. Right! Its Good year, Kelly Spring field, and I guess now the Firestone we just put on. NATIONAL TIRE says the Honda Passport if Hard on tires. - 4 sets at 59,000 don't add up. I think the problem is the Passport. Unfortunately how do you get Honda to admit this! By the way the Firestone Tires have been on for about 300 miles and already they are showing wear on them.. What do you do?
  • We leased a 2000 Passport 4x4 to pull our two place snowmobile trailer and have had nothing but problems with the traction and overall control. We have already had one accident in which we skidded into a guard rail and it wasn't because of speed as we were going slower than most, no one else around us was sliding. It seems to happen with just a "dusting" of snow on the road or at 55-65 mph on the highways. We have bridgestone tires and we thought they may be the reason for the traction problem. (too much air...) When we aren't pulling the trailer we don't have any problems.

Is there anyone out there with these problems? Or any suggestions?
  • pdhskipdhski Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Passport that has been in to two different dealers to eliminate wind noise that is unusually loud while driving at hiway speeds. Anyone else notice this? Damn annoying that they can't tighten the door tolerances any more (or at least that is the story they are sticking to). I bought the car as a leftover in 97 and wonder if it wasn't actually damaged on the lot and repaired. As it was never registered, it was still technically able to be sold as new. But thats only speculation.
  • cdrodcdrod Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Rodeo that exhibits the same wind noise around the front door seals in strong cross winds or at speeds above 60mph. I have noticed by selecting the recirculate mode, as opposed to the fresh air mode, for the heater/AC the gusting sound is reduced. I believe this lowers the internal cabin pressure thereby reducing the forces applied at the door seals. This doesn't eliminate the noises, just makes it a little better.
  • I just got home from my 4th trip to the dealer to correct the very same vibration problem so many other Passport owners are experiencing. They installed new tires, a ring kit, on the car tire balancing, and a front wheel alignment all of which took a total of ten days and cost them $330.00 for a rental car. Thankfully, no charge to me. I was told the car just doesn't like 50 miles per hour. I should have told them I hate the damn car at 50 miles per hour. Anyway the trouble is still there. The state of Florida has a lemon law and I may try to use it. I have to commend the dealership for their efforts but I'm pissed at Honda. Why haven't they come up with a fix by now. They build some of the finest equipment available so you would think this problem would be a thorn in their side. I also have a 1998 Honda CRV that I purchased new and have never had a single problem with it. I'm a Honda lover and I'd buy another, just not a Passport. Thanks for listening and if anybody discovers a fix, lets share it. JER
  • I have a 1995.5 4x4 Honda Passort with 51,000 miles have never had a moments problems out of it, I purchased it in Alaska drove from there to NJ it performed like a champion I must admit. This is the second most dependable car I have ever owened. Most expesnive thing I have purschaed on the car was a side mirror (Kids broke playing basketball in drive way). IF you have a honda passort port and you are not getting your monies worth I am truly sorry. I luv my HP HOG.
  • I have a 97 Honda Passport EX 4X4, and for those of you wondering why your 4X4 is not working, well here is the answer. Your vacuum switch Solenoid is not working. That's the one that kicks you in and out of 4 wheel drive. It cost about $135.00 for parts plus labor at the Honda dealer. Make sure you have a warranty when you buy this truck as this could be your problem. And it will cost you a lot of money to get it fixed. Also watch out for the valve cover gasket. It might leak on you after 60,000 miles. I know this because I just brought my truck in for inspection at the Honda dealer. It was mainly for the 4X4 functionality. About two weeks ago it started having a hard time kicking in to four wheel drive. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And it didn't work when I needed it. So I brought it in for inspection. Luckily it's still covered under warranty. I'm glad I bought it at Honda coz their customer service is outstanding. Even if you bought your car used as long as you bring it to a Honda dealer they will treat you right. Even though it's expensive. I hope to get my truck back tomorrow night, I miss it...
  • This is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned--not perfect but better than 66 Olds Cutlas,73 Chev Malibu, 77 Chev Malibu, 86 Lincoln Continental, 82 Honda Accord, 95 Honda Accord, 88 Accura legend, 90 Accura Legend,etc.

I have 73,ooo miles on tires with lots of tread left--rotate every 5,000 miles.
    Vibration problems solved with good wheel balance.
    Shudder on braking at 18000 miles solved with new pads on rear and machining rotors.
    Engine warning light was diagnosed correctly by dealer--fill up and make sure gas cap is tight.
  • Let me start by saying I like my Passport. I think it is still one of the best looking SUVs on the road. If the truck had cup holders I'd never sell it. I am having one problem though, I am getting a rather loud rattle noise coming from the AC. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
  • hjnghjng Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2000 honda passport last Sep.. It stalled out total 5 times while I was driving from then. I was so lucky that I'm still alive. I want to contact with the manufactory, but I cannot get the manufactory address even a phone number.
    If somebody know the info, would you please help me out and send an email to hai_zuo@hotmail.com? Appreciate.
  • I have been reading about the 50mph vibration. I just got a 97 from my mother in law and have braking problems. So I took off the rotors to have them turned. When I did I noticed that the spindle had been heated up and changed colors as if the wheel bearing had gone. The rollers looked fine but the inside of the bearing have changed colors also. If the spindle was not made correctly, I believe it would cause this vibration. I repacked the bearing which all were fine except may be one ( but it was Sunday night late) so I put them all back in. I still get the vibration.

I also notice using 2 quarts of oil in 3,200 miles. Has any one else noticed this? If so what was it. I may not keep it long if this seems to be a broblem.
  • jspikeyjspikey Posts: 21
    After I got the four wheel drive problem fixed, I had to go test it out. If you've read message #50 you'll see that I had the vacuum switch solenoid replaced. The four wheel drive system works like a charm after taking it out to Galena last weekend for a snow boarding. Considering Galena is not really a mountainous area I took the Passport offroading going through snow trails. They're really not snow trails since I just picked my own trail. I've been wondering what those other guys on the Jeep forum are talking about saying that the Jeep is one of the best offroader. Their maybe right but my Passport can hold it's own. I didn't get stuck anywhere, but of course I was cautious enough not to get stuck. The ground was covered with snow and there were no roads going uphill, with the truck on four wheel drive there were no hesitation. I know that if I tried that trail with my car I would be stuck coz the tires on my truck was digging in the snow. When I went back to the trail to get back on the road I could see how deep my tires went. I would not even dare try it with my car. So the snow test went great, I can't wait for summer and check out some dirt trails. Does anyone know some good dirt trail paths with camping around Illinois?
  • billlanebilllane Posts: 1
    Looking for a second car for town use. Have owned 9 Honda vehicles over 20 years, extremely pleased with all...will I be pleased with a 1995 Honda Passport with 135,000 miles on it? I expect to keep it about a year. It was a leased commercial vehicle and is in really good physical shape inside and out.
  • hopster1hopster1 Posts: 14
    I own a 1999 Honda Passport EX 4WD and I love the thing but I've been having a problem with a vibration underneath. It sounds like a heat shield or something and it occurs when I accelerate at around 2000 to 2500 ram. It is more pronounced when I am turning or going up an incline. Has anyone else had this problem? I've taken it to my local Honda dealership on Cape Cod and they have been very, very nice but unable to uncover the problem. Any advice would be much appreciated. BOW. I have a brother who owns a 1998 Explorer and a friend who owns a 1999 Grand Cherokee and both have rather have had my Passport. Although my trucks a little smaller they have had many more problems and like the ride on my Passport better. Especially off-road. Explorer is too truck like and Cherokee is too squishy.
  • We have a 2000 Passport that has been in the shop 7 times now for various problems (Check Engine 3 times, Airbag 2 times, Brakes 1 time, and Alternator 1 time) the car has only 9000 miles and is obviously a lemmon. The dealership doesn't want to help us by buying back the car or offering a decent trade. Has anyone had any luck getting resolution for a Lemmon like this? Email me at johndallas@hotmail.com
  • itonicitonic Posts: 1
    I have a '95.5 Honda Passport 4WD w/ 80k miles (auto)and the Check Trans light went on and the vehicle barely moves. At first I thought the transmission went out, however, it seems like it is stuck in the "winter" operation mode. The tarns. has been been serviced at all scheduled times, most recently 3 mos.. ago. The tarns fluid is still red and clean. Has anyone had any experiences like this?
  • R92688R92688 Posts: 7
    I have a 95 Honda Passport LX with 95K miles on it. The only problem I have is a chatter which comes out of the driver rear side that appears to be increasing. At first I thought the left shock was lose, however all the bolts to the shocks are tight. While looking underneath, I had noticed the ends of the leaf springs are fan out with small spaces inbetween them. Logic tells me if this is the cause, then both sides in the rear will make noise, but it's only coming from the driver side. The chatter comes on when I go over a bump and on off road conditions (dirt roads). Noise occurs whenever a slight bump occurs. I am suspecting the ends of the leaf springs are hitting against each other each time they flex, but there is no visible difference from the passenger side. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem on their 95 passport.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
2»
This discussion has been closed.