Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Bonneville General Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    kevin_powell1kevin_powell1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1996 Bonneville SE and it runs great but I gave it a good steam cleaning and now it smells even worse than when it was just dirty. My wife says she smells odor from a cat so I sprayed a bacteria. nuetralizer. The owner said there had been standing water on the floor board at one time but he cleaned it up and let it sit in the garage with the windows open to dry out. If the carpet underneath is in fact mildewed, I'm going to have to rip it out and replace it. I've replaced a wiring harness in an old fiat x1/9 before so I can probably manage this project.. Are there any suggestions on how to get the back seat out. I'm sure the front seats probaby just needs four bolts removed and the wiring harness for the seat motor. Also, will the carpet tuck under the vinyl floor trim or will it have to be removed also? Any suggestions from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated and if this is not the appropriate board for this question, please let me know that instead.
    Kevin
  • Options
    kevin_powell1kevin_powell1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1996 Bonneville SE and it runs great but I gave it a good steam cleaning and now it smells even worse than when it was just dirty. My wife says she smells odor from a cat so I sprayed a bacteria nuetralizer. The owner said there had been standing water on the floor board at one time but he cleaned it up and let it sit in the garage with the windows open to dry out. If the carpet underneath is in fact mildewed, I'm going to have to rip it out and replace it. I've replaced a wiring harness in an old Fiat X1/9 before so I can probably manage this project. Are there any suggestions on how to get the back seat out. I'm sure the front seats probably just needs four bolts removed and the wiring harness for the seat motor. Also, will the carpet tuck under the vinyl floor trim or will it have to be removed also? Any suggestions from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated, or if this is not the appropriate board for this question, please let me know that instead.
    Kevin
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Most back seats have two retaining areas at the front edge. These are wire loops that fit into metal retainers. On occassion they are bolted in. Try pushing in on the lower front edge of the seat half way between the outer edge and center. Push in and lift to see if they pop out. If not feel for a bolt in that area. And you can probably pull the carpet out from under the edge trim, but not sure if you can slide it back under. Wife has Bonneville at her work, so can't check. Good Luck.
  • Options
    chevydude2chevydude2 Member Posts: 36
    The sunroof on my '98 will not go into the Vent position -- and when I try to shut it after being fully opened, it just goes into the vent mode. It will not shut. Any ideas?

Thanks -- Read the messages regarding the intake manifold -- mine went out at 90,000 miles.. I have 106,000 miles on it now and its running great.
  • Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Sounds like a malfunction of the limit switch.
  • Options
    doxleydoxley Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can look for TSB for 2001 Bonneville? I'm still having problems with alternator -- been back to dealer once again for alternator going bad. Service Manager said today they found TSBs on a harness (?) problem causing the alternators to go bad. Don't trust until I read it myself.
  • Options
    wnewellwnewell Member Posts: 14
    I had a Ford Taurus that had constant alternator and battery problems, We added ground wires alternator to engine and Body and maybe engine to body and had no more problems.

WN
  • Options
    I know this one. Attended a birthday party at the home of a Bonneville owner. He had the alternator replaced during the week leading up to the party. As I recall the cooling fan motors can send voltage surges back to the alternator causing it to fail. The bulletin has the dealer install two wire harnesses in the fan system to correct. If the dealer has the bulletin and has mentioned it, they should provide you a copy with the repair paperwork. Good Luck.
  • Options
    jjocjjocjjocjjoc Member Posts: 24
    My 99 Bonne has about 61k miles and the original Goodyear Eagle LS tires will be replaced soon. These tires look nice, but does anyone have any thoughts on other alternatives that might be better? Michelin XG's? Oh yeah, the Goodyear's aren't cheap either. Also, are these considered Performance or Touring tires, or a combo of both?
    Also, what is the normal time/signs to replace shocks and struts?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    My SLE wears Eagle RS-A and I like them a lot, though they're not cheap either.

I like the BF Goodrich Radial or Touring T/A, too. But these are not expensive.

Just don't buy any Michelin because its Michelin. I've had the dreadful MXV and was glad to dump them. Michelin makes many cheap tires which are exactly this, el cheapo tires, besides some crown tires. Be sure to check the tire survey at TireRack before deciding for any Michelin or any other brand.

HTH
  • Options
    jjocjjocjjocjjoc Member Posts: 24
    thanks evandro, don't mind spending more for good quality; especially on tires. I've just heard the Eagles tend to wear out pretty fast for the bucks. I did check out tirerack and noted some very good feedback on a Dunlop tire (BD-60 I think) also although I have not seen them advertised alot. I guess I have to decide whether to go with the shorter warranty performance tires or longer lasting touring/passenger tires; although there seems to be some that advertise they are both. An independant dealer (Les Schwab) touts a toyo made combo with a 100,000 mile warranty for around $110 that I will check out.
  • Options
    desertrat6desertrat6 Member Posts: 5
    my 98 Bonneville is driving me crazy with an electrical problem. It started a few months ago. Intermittently, after the car sat several hours or overnight, the radio wouldn't come on and the digital clock would be several hours behind. About a month or two later, the battery went dead. Put a new one in two months ago and the problem went away, until today when the car wouldn't start. Jumped it and drove it local repair shop. Something is obviously drawing on the battery. Anyone know of a similar problems in other Bonnevilles? Or ideas about the nature of the problem?
  • Options
    capriccapric Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Bonneville with electronically adjustable damping. I recently went to the dealer to replace the rear shocks (since they are electronic) and the dealer said that the electronic shocks had been discontinued and are no longer available. Does anybody know where I can find OEM electronic shocks for this vehicle?
  • Options
    slicksickwillyslicksickwilly Member Posts: 12
    Hi All,
    Pickin up my new Bonneville SLE tom and stumbled across this board.. Looks like some very useful information here. I owned a 88 SE that i bought brand new and sold it finally this year. It was quite a car! I hope they still make them like they used too!
  • Options
    smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    My first of 5 Bonnies was an '88. It was the best one I had, even though I have liked all of them including my current 2000 SSEi. Good luck with your new ride.
  • Options
    rick1307rick1307 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a '97 SSEI with 90K miles and smell exhaust/raw gas/crankcase or a combination of them when the A/C is on. Can't really put my finger (nose) on the exact type of fumes. No fumes, however, when I push the "recirc" button on the A/C control. I've conducted a cursory inspection of the exhaust system with nothing jumping out at me (did find a missing clamp about half way back but replacement did not fix the problem). There are several heat shields at various exhaust connections under the hood so I couldn't get the whole picture without getting into it. And it doesn't really strike me as exhaust fumes. Has anybody had any previous experience with this problem which might help me zero in on a known problem area. Thanks
  • Options
    hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    We had the first soaking all day rain in CT in about 10 weeks today. My 2002 SE manufactured in May had a dry trunk after sitting in the parking lot all day. Maybe the problem is fixed ? The plastic piece in the trunk with the weak adhesive that's still not fixed; first heat wave took care of that. Some of the other complaints I have read such as vibration may be fixed, drive car 80 at times and is vibration free. Over all the "Bonnie" is a big improvement over my 24V 1997 Mercury Sable and was well worth the $$.
  • Options
    ericnlyvoneericnlyvone Member Posts: 1
    The AC compressor clutch on my Bonneville is makeing a terrible noise. I'm affriad its going to lock up and brake the serpintine belt. I don't want to sink $200.00+ into a new compressor if I can help it. Does anybody know if there is a belt that will fit the belt drive system without including the AC compressor. If so, what is the part number and where can I get it?
  • Options
    gwscottgwscott Member Posts: 2
    Hope this is not too late for Chuck, post#773. My 94 rear driver's window stopped working, electric motors don't burn up that easily, so on a day I had some time to goof around I actually took motor apart to clean commutator (stay with me here!) put all back together, window worked fine for one day then locked up again. OK, motor is fine, switch is fine, must be mechanical.....discovered that the problem is a small set screw on the end of the motor assembly. The armature has a worm gear that engages regulator, the set screw keeps the armature in the correct alignment to regulator gear(keeps it from moving in and out of motor housing) . The set screw is plastic, and not reliable, allowing the armature to move in and out and get jammed against regulator gear. I replaced set screw with a bolt and locking nut which keeps armature from "jumping" and getting jammed. Hope this helps someone from buying a replacement motor for $75-150, my fix cost a whopping 40 cents at the hardware store.
    Gary
  • Options
    fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Gary- Thanks for the info- No, I didn't get the window fixed yet- my next door neighbor works for GM- Auto-body repairs- he wants to take a look at the unit first before buying anything- Supposedly,I just can't buy the window regulator- its all one unit???? - HIS cost for the unit replacement is around $230.00 bucks- I've gotten prices from both my local mechanic and the Pontiac Dealership around $400.00- (includes labor) If what you are saying is possibly the problem, this is great news- I printed out your post- i'll give it to my neighbor and let you know what happens. Thanks again!!!!!

Chuck.
  • Options
    mickeyleemickeylee Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am new to the board so please bare with me. I have a 92 Bonneville, early this spring I had trouble with the compressor for the A/C. I had it replaced.The mechanic could not get the compressor to lock up. I eventually ran a hot wire with a toggle switch to the compressor. It works, but does not cool like it once did. I would like to repair it to stock instead of using the toggle switch. Any clues as to where to start troubleshooting, I have checked the fuse and it appears fine. Thanks ML
  • Options
    I think on some of the Bonnevilles, the A/C is controlled by the engine computer. If there is a problem it sets a trouble code that keeps the A/C from trying to run. My just need to clear the code from the memory. Talk to a local shop that can scan for trouble codes. I will see if I can ask if our year Bonneville is this type. We just went over 230,000 miles, How many on yours?
  • Options
    mickeyleemickeylee Member Posts: 2
    Our car only has 132000 on it. I got it from my mother in-law. My brother in-law wrecked it and it sat for four years. I put a new dog house on it and painted it. It's still a great car, just want to get rid of the toggle switch....
  • Options
    mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Oftentimes, the compressor circuit uses a low pressure cutout that looks at the suction pressure and if the system is low of refrigerant, it will not allow the compressor to run. That may also explain why it doesn't cool as it used to. Suck it up when you go in and pay for more R-12 for recharging the system.
  • Options
    superd2superd2 Member Posts: 1
    CAN ANY BODY TELL ME THE EASIEST METHOD TO REMOVE AND REPLACE THE HEATER CORE ON A 1999 BONNEVILLE?
  • Options
    jbennett123jbennett123 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 95 SE with only 50k miles on the clock. Noticed a groaning sound coming from the AC compressor I believe. No noise when AC is off, then once the compressor cycles on, the groaning begins. Changes with Engine RPM -- at first I thought compressor bearing but it's completely silent with the AC off. Any ideas?

Also, the car bounces a fair amount but I would think that the OEM struts would be good for more than 50k. Anyone know how much it might cost to have them replaced? This is an SE so I don't think I have load-leveling and definitely not suspension selection.
  • Options
    It could be a bearing in the clutch assembly. The clutch turns with the engine even with the AC off. Also, the fan for the AC condensor comes on whenever the clutch is engaged. Check to see if that might be the source which would be a whole lot cheaper than a problem with the clutch.
  • Options
    ctubactuba Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1998 Bonneville. It does not seem that the AC blows out as much airflow on high as other cars I have owned. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • Options
    No, I have a 98 SSE- with auto climate controls- I tell everyone I have the "RON POPPEIL Version"- set it and forget it!(LOL). Seriously, I have no problems with air flow whether on low or high-
    i just set the temp, hit auto and it adjusts the fan speed accordingly- and works great. You didn't say what 98 model you have? On my 2000 SE,(No AUTO CONTROLS) sometimes when I turn the blower on high,I would like it to be a bit more powerful, but it still works fine as far as comfort etc. In comparison to my previous cars,I would have to say as far as fan speed etc, that they are comparable.

Chuck.
  • Options
    are surfacing over on the CAR-POINT site for 1998
    Bonneville's etc.- I'm not experiencing any problems with either car, but it seems that the 3800 Series II manifold may be faulty and GM should be considering re-calling and fixing the problem. Do you know of or hear about anyone else having this problem lately or is this still isolated cases?? Interesting in that this engine is in Buick's and Old's also but very few complaints on their sites. Ditto for the Grand-Prix site .

Chuck.
  • Options
    abbeyteacherabbeyteacher Member Posts: 1
    My 93 Bonneville SSEi had had an intermittent stalling problem for over a year. Because it's intermittent (and the car always starts right back up), it is hard to diagnose. I read of similar problems in the Town Hall discussions, and the consensus was that the crankshaft sensor was the culprit. The Pontiac dealer says, however, that that can't be the problem, because a faulty crankshaft sensor would set a code in the computer, and my stalling never registers a code. Is he right or is he blowing smoke? I am determined to replace the crankshaft sensor, even if it costs big bucks, but I wan't to make sure the discussion boards are not misleading me.
  • Options
    brycenbrycen Member Posts: 5
    After 10 months of hesitation and seven dealer visits, I finally have the car I thought I was buying! The solution was to simply disconnect the battery for a minimum of 24 hours to allow the shift adapts to be erased from memory. What a difference! The shop foreman also told me that it may revert after 10,000± miles. "It's like kids, you have to keep teaching them," he said. Hope this helps others with hesitation problems.
  • Options
    nicananicana Member Posts: 1
    Question? I have a 1994 Bonneville with 84,000 miles. I have had stalling problems for over a year. We have replaced the alternator, battery, Cpu (?), ignition modual, adn yet it is stil doing it. The service engine light comes on, all power drops and the traction control shuts off on the car. I see many people have had the same problem. Have you found anything that works? The dealership is clueless. It also does vibrate over 55..
  • Options
    2000bonnevse2000bonnevse Member Posts: 4
    Hi there. I just got a 2000 bonneville se with 229,000 KM's on it. I know i have a/c cause I looked under the hood, but to get it to go on is a mystery. I have no owners manual to check how, and on the heater controls I see no a/c button, but just the temp. up and down. the lowest it goes is 16 c/ 60 f. Either it needs to be recharged, or I am missing something. I have a orange Auto button that seems like it is a preset, but I have no idea. Then a econ,defrost,rear defrost button. At one point the heat would only come out of the dash when the temp. was set at 16 c but as soon as I turned it up to 18 c it would automatically switch to the floor. Today, I can almost go to max temp. out of the dash. I am lost on this? Does not make sense.. Could someone educate me on how this works? Thanks.

The second problem is my steering wheel contols do not work. All the lights are on, but none of them respond. I should mention that my radio is locked out and I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get a new code, but the heater controls should still work right? Has anyone had a problem with this before? I checked all the fuses to the left of the steering wheel and they seem all good. I read there are more but it told me to check my user manual, which I do not have.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    1) http://www.helminc.com for ordering an owner's manual

2) The steering wheel radio controls can not work anything if the radio is theftlocked off. Once the dealer gets the radio working, the steering wheel controls will work.

3) The description of your A/C control panel dosen't match any I have seen. Perhaps Canadian panels are labeled differently. While your at the dealer, maybe they can give you some instructions or let you copy the pages out of the manual for a car they may have in stock.

Good luck.
  • Options
    hey, Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

I will do that at the dealer tomorrow.

:)
  • Options
    jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    Sounds like you have one of the few SEs with climate control or the models are slightly different in Canada. Anyway, hit the auto button and turn the temp on both driver's and passenger's side down to 60. If the system is working properly, it should turn the fan on high, run the compressor and push the air out of the panel. Auto generally runs the compressor unless the temp is somewhere in the 40's.
  • Options
    Hmm interesting. I do not have dual climate contols.

From left to right, I have first a large auto button, then a large temperature button, then the display and underneath that I have three small buttons. Auto/defrost/rear defrost. To the right of the display I have a large button to control the fan speed and to the right of that I have three small button stacked on top of each other. outside temp./C or F button/off button.

Does that sound like anyones set up?
  • Options
    Brett, are you sure you have a 2000 Bonneville? The electronic climate control on the previous generation Bonneville (1999-1995) looks somewhat like the one you described. 2 large, display with 3 small under, one large, then 3 small stacked. The US version is not labeled the same as you describe but has all the same functions. If you jave a 2000 you vin should go something like.. 1G2HX54KXY4123456, with the "Y" indicating the year.
  • Options
    I have read about http://www.mygmlink.com which allows you to sign up your car and have access to info like recalls, service info, can track your service records, but you also have access to an online owner's manual. Brett, you could try that site for info. Only goes back to 1993 on Bonneville, so I can't register my 1992.
  • Options
    That description of the climate controls definitely sounds like a '95-'99 Bonneville, not a 2000. If you turn the system on and set it for the minimum temp., it will always force the A/C on (above 40F or so) with max fan through the dash, so everything you describe sounds right. I don't think you're missing anything. If it's not cold then there must be a problem with the A/C system itself. Sometimes if the system detects a fault it will flash the display, but there could be some other problem. Have a repair shop check it out.

I subscribed to mygmlink.com and they have PDF downloads for the owner's manuals for my '99 Chevy and 2000 Pontiac; I presume they will have the manuals available for all models at some point, but who knows how many years back they are going to go.
  • Options
    Sorry guys. I have a 2000 grand am but the bonneville is 1990. Not sure what I was smoking when I posted that. Haha.

I checked all fuses and they appear good so I can still not get the sterio to work. all the lights light up but the display is totaly blank??? Maybe there is an inline fuse behind the deck?
  • Options
    I changed the oil today on the 2000 Bonneville and although the owner's manual doesn't say so, I think there must be a pure time component that goes into the DIC's calculation of remaining oil life.
    I last changed mine in May, just before the car was put away for the summer. So, in 4 months, I put a grand total of just under 900 miles on the car but the DIC said I was down to just 29% oil life. The miles I did put on were about 50-50 city versus highway so it isn't like I drive 2 miles to the store at 20mph and then come home. Obviously, this isn't a problem but just something I didn't realize about the service life calculation that the DIC performs.
  • Options
    It may be that it does take time into consideration. Then again, there's nothing worse than 2ml-drives, when the engine barely reaches the operating temperature. So I guess that the computer did the right thing.
  • Options
    That's interesting, because I don't see that with my car. Since it's my second set of wheels, I have been putting only about 3,000 miles per year on it, and I only change the oil once per year. When the car sits for an extended period of time (up to three weeks) the oil life does not seem to change. It takes about 12 months to get down to about 40% with about 50-50 city/highway use.
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The main inputs to the oil life monitoring system are engine speed, coolant temp, and driving time.
  • Options
    But an oil change is so cheap and the damage so expensive that I think it's worth following the computer advice just to be on the safe side...
  • Options
    Time to fess up. What I now think may have happened is that I forgot to reset the monitor when I changed the oil in May. I got in the car today and realized I hadn't reset the monitor the other day and may well have forgotten the last time.
  • Options
    benedit8benedit8 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 95 about 3years ago with 59000 now it has 95000 and is costing me a fortune this year. water pump, plenum gasket (300.00 just for the part), axle, ac compressor and more. I have spent 3000.00 so far this year. I wonder if its time to go althogh the engine and trans and body seem fine. has anyone else noticed that everything seems to go near 100000. Should i dump it?
  • Options
    I would say that your experience overall is by far the exception rather than the rule. Most people seem to get many more miles than 100,000 with only a minimum of repairs. Personally, if the major items like the body and transmission seem fine, now that you have sunk the money in it, I would keep it. It certainly is far cheaper than the depreciation of a new one or a year or two old used car even though repairs and breakdowns can be a major PITA.