Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    keep us posted and all the best!
  • anogananogan Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my ac. It started with it working on and off when it was on setting 2 but the other ones were fine. Now it only works on 1 and 4. Also there is a buzzing noise comming out of the vents and it gets worse from 1 to 4. Thanks in advance for the help.
  • kellibeankellibean Member Posts: 2
    thats the problem i am having. i bought my 03 protege in july 2005 with 59000 miles on it. that bucking thing it does catches me off guard. its only done it 3 times since ive had it. the first time was a few months after i bought it, then sometime last year, and last time it was a few days ago. luckily no problems have come of it. my parents seem to think its the transmission, and in some other sites ive gone to mazdas seem to be notorious for transmission failure, i hope this is not the case.
  • kellibeankellibean Member Posts: 2
    thats wierd. my ac will only work on 1,3 and 4. everytime i put it on 2, the ac light flashes off and on then staqys off and the air gets warmer. any help for that?
  • davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    Hey all. It's me - davidingilbert again.
    Just a quick update - no "CEL" since my last visit to the dealership for the issue - I believe in February. I am also glad my experience helped everyone here with the same or similar issue.

I am in need of everyone's help again.
    By now, my wife's Protege has about 72,000 miles on. I mainly use it now because I drive approximately 60 miles a day between home and work.

When driving on the freeway between 60 and 70 MPH and the tachometer is around 3,000 RPM, I get this high-pitched whining sound. The closest sound I can think of when the dentist is filing your teeth, but a little higher than that sound. It never last very long - 2 to 4 seconds at most. At first I thought it was the tires making contact in a strange way with the cement. But, now I believe it is something behind the radio or A/C controls. But, it appears to be happening more and more. Plus, my wife has heard it - so I know it is not only me! :D

Anyone else have a similar issue? If so, any idea as to what it could be?

Please advise.
    Have a good July 4th folks!
    Dave
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I recall a few of those cars having air leaks around the windsheild. try having a buddy push on the windshield (from the passenger seat) while you are driving. If the noise changes, have the windshield re-sealed.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    between 60 and 70 MPH ... I get this high-pitched whining sound. ... 2 to 4 seconds at most.

Interesting. I'd check around and under the car for loose bits. You may want to isolate the sound by driving on a quiet stretch of road.
  • lnstar44lnstar44 Member Posts: 1
    anyone know first where the sparkplugs on a 01 protege es are located and any special tools i would need to change
  • david_w_dongdavid_w_dong Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question "The first is it okay to drive the car with the overdrive always on or at lower speeds in town should i turn it off?".
    Anybody can help us? Thanks a lot!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would turn it off for both longevity of the overdrive and for better performance in traffic.
    Shifty,
    Why leave it off? All leaving it off does is prevent the transmission from entering its highest gear (which happens to be O/D). Perhaps if e feels the price of gas is too cheap, this is a good idea.
  • leswallace43leswallace43 Member Posts: 3
    Don't know about the "buzzing noise" but I just yesterday finished replacing the center switch on my p5 that only wrkd on step 1 and 4. Switch ( new one ordered thru dealer approx $32) was burned in center and close to starting fire. Last week I thought I'd smelled something burning. Anyway it was fairly easy to replace if yu know what to do and had the right tools. I did not! Gently pry the large plastic outline off at top, sides and bottom. Next gently pop the three center direction knobs from their sockets. Two of mine were stuck but did work out with very thin screwdriver. Unclip the 4 way flasher connection at the top to give you more room. Then there are 4 phillips screws at bottom of the frame, one on each side in back and two on the bottom. Here's where you need very short screwdriver since you can't get a standard one behind. One of those small "L'" shaped screwdrivers with phillips on one end and standard on the other works perfect. The ac/heater module will then come loose so you can get inside to unscrew the red plastic cover and get to the plastic nut on the back of the switch. I didn't have the right tools so it took me about 4 hours in 96 degree heat with sweaty glasses to get it all back but now it works great and I did save the 82 dollar per hour labor cost. Hope this helps.
  • donwilson2donwilson2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Mazda Protege ES with the sport mode auto transmission with 106K miles on it. For the most part, the car has been running great. But recently the car would sometimes shudder for a second when I'm pulling away from a traffic light or stop sign then runs smoothly while cruising. I'm suspecting that it might be a minor transmission problem because I'm overdue for a transmission service(the fluid is brown). I'm going to take it to the dealership to get a transmission flush to hopefully cure the problem. Has anyone had simillar problems with shuddering on take off with their Mazda Protege? Please let me know.
    Overdrive is not efficient at too low a speed---if anything, driving in OD at 25 mph puts a lot of strain on the engine and the transmission. It's no accident that many new cars have temperature sensors that don't even LET you into overdrive until the engine and transmission are warmed up.

What you get with driving at low speeds in OD is "lugging" of the engine, which is the most stressful of all conditions for an engine.

Aside from all that, if you stomp on the gas while in OD at 25-35 mph, you just fall flat until the car downshifts.

I don't think you are saving any gas by driving in OD at very low speeds. You might actually be wasting it because you need more throttle to get anywhere.
  • jmaciasjmacias Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the water pump on the protege and I took out the timing belt. I marked it before removing it and now I am putting back all the parts back in and it seems that my timing belt if off mark. I followed the Haynes Manual and followed the directions but its not working. Does anyone know what the correct marks are to set the timing. Please help.
  • retro_gretro_g Member Posts: 1
    It's a 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

OK! I've had the car almost 3 years now... My engine crapped out 3 or so months ago. The car sat for a month until I purchased a used engine from a reputable local company. One weekend a friend and I made time to swap the engines. Taking our time we used one day to remove the broken down original engine and the next putting in the purchased used one. All went fine, no problems to mention... I turned the key and it started up and ran like nothing had ever happened... At that point I was very pleased and took her out of his garage for a test spin around the block...

The very 1st thing I noticed was a noise like iron wire dragging under the car on the ground. It had at that point sat outside on the street for a good month so surface rust building up on the inside of the rear drums or front rotors is very likely. It was that kind of noise... In addition to that the brakes where nonexistent. I had to bury my foot into to the pedal to stop. I've inspected most if not all brake hardware, changed all pads/shoes and bleed the brake system. The pedal seems very stiff, not spongy & definitely off the floor. It still doesn't stop well at all... I'm down to replacing the master brake cylinder. Does anyone think different?? What about the booster? Could the booster be the route of my brake problem??

OK now on to my next issue two weeks into running the car with the new used engine... I would describe it as a smooth bucking or surging when accelerating from a dead stop. Its worse when the car/engine is cold. It will do it 3-4 up to 7-8 times before smoothing out. Sometimes when warm it won't do it at all, but most the time it will. Other than that it behaves the way it should to me even giving better gas mileage over the old engine before it died. There are no warning lights of any kind... Out of gear it idles fine.. In gear, car stopped it idles fine... I've changed the transmission fluid, about to change the plugs, and maybe the fuel injector rail with injectors from my old engine I had saved “just in case”. Someone suggested to me it could be the transmission filter... Does anyone have any thoughts??

FYI: Car has 94,000 miles on it & the engine has 85,000. :)
    The car will not shift into OD at 25-35mph (regardless of OD switch position) unless the load drops down around zero. Protege transmissions have been electronically controlled since the early 90s.
    Make sure you reconnected the large vacuum line to the brake booster or that there are no cracks/leaks. It sounds like to could be the source of both issues.
  • lakeannedavelakeannedave Member Posts: 1
    I've got one shop telling me that I need this, quote from the estimate :

"Replace clutch disk: Includes R&I Transaxle
    To R&R Flywheel, Add Clutch disk
    To R&R Pilot Bearing, Add Clutch Disk
    Clutch Disk
    Clutch Slave Cylinder"

this total is $783... I'm in Northern VA.. pretty high labor costs

Another place's estimate adds up to $700 but they say I need a master cylinder not a slave, they also say I need a front seal.

A third shop says I need a new clutch assembly, drive train (includes replacing pressure plate, Di Pilot and Throw Out Bearing). Also a new flywheel. And they say I don't necessarily need a new slave or master cylinder, but have given me estimates on those as well, for a grand total of a whopping $1330.

I can't tell from this what I really need, and I can't tell which shop I shold work with, all I know is that there's no way I can afford the third if I do all the work. Any advice or suggestions about what I should do????
    I'm a big fan of replacing all the clutch parts, such as:

clutch disk
    pressure plate
    throw out bearing
    pilot bearing
    clutch slave (depending on mileage, or signs of leaking, filthy fluid, etc)
    clutch master (as above)

And yes, the transmission/transaxle has to come out.

HOWEVER, replacing the flylwheel is rather dubious because they haven't inspected it yet. Unless it is badly, and I mean BADLY cracked from heat, it can be resurfaced (a good idea) if ...IF....there is any roughness to it. If you don't resurface a flywheel that is scored or rough, the clutch will chatter, which is most annoying.

$700 sounds fair enough to me if they do everything I mentioned.

A clutch job is not something you want to do again in 20,000 miles. So replace EVERYTHING that requires the transmission to be removed. A clutch slave or clutch master is no biggie, that can be done when it is needed.

And again, I think replacing the flywheel as a preventative measure is extreme and should not be done unless it is really messed up.

Visiting Host
  • aboyer82aboyer82 Member Posts: 1
    i cant figure out how to get my speedometer and odometer to work. how do i get them working again?
  • pokiepokie Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem. Just all of a sudden, the speedometer would not work and the CEL flashed. I put it in the garage for 5 years. With the rise in gas prices, I brought it out of mothballs and decided to address the issue. It was the speedometer cable that runs from the transmission thru the firewall to the dash (not hard). It is a booger to get at from both ends. Buy a new cable from the dealer. You will have to disassemble the front dash. This is tricky. Be careful of the connections behind the instuments (i.e., lights, displays and all). Easy from the tranny to the dash. Pull the instrument panels slightly forward (not much give at all) and be careful not to disconnect them. Unscrew the current cable and insert the other end of the new cable in the speedometer. Using your fingers (as your eyes) ensure that everything is reconnected (did I mention very snug here). Reinsert the instrument panel and reinstall everything. Not difficult, but a BOOGER to get to. Works like a champ. Good luck!
  • zoomchuckszoomchucks Member Posts: 2
    Hey All,

Just bought my first Mazda -- '02 Protege LX (2.0), AT and such. However, I noticed as I was driving it back down to Los Angeles today that once I get to about 55-60 mph, I start to hear a very noticeable rattling sound from what sounds like the bottom right of the front passenger area, almost behind and a little below the glove compartment. I'm assuming it's probably the strut mounts or the stabilizer links, but is there anything obvious a new zoom-zoomer like me might be missing?

Thanks,
    Rob
  • paramount13paramount13 Member Posts: 18
    Just bought a 2000 Protege ES 1.8L with 5 speed manual, 84K miles. The car runs well but the idle speed seems low (maybe 500 rpm), and the car idles roughly and seems to want to cut out, but never has so far. Previous owner said his mechanic told him it needs idle adjustment. The car was had been in a minor front end accident about a year prior and has a new radiator. There is an intake assembly running from the air filter housing out to the actual air intake on top of the radiator. This was apparently never put back right after the accident, and the tubing doesn't connect well to the filter housing, so that the actual air intake is probably taking place at the base of the housing. I could fix this easily enough, but there also seems to be an opening on the bottom of the tubing, so that either way I'm not really going to be taking in air from the assembly over the radiator. My questions: 1) Should I adjust the idle, or should I try to fix the intake first? 2) What should the intake setup look like? Is there really supposed to be a hole at the bottom of the tubing right as it connects to the air filter housing, or is there supposed to be another hose or something there? If anyone has a car like this and can take a photo of what the intake is supposed to look like, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    Sounds like it's missing the resonance chamber which I doubt would cause the idle to run low.

I highly recommend not messing with the throttle body adjustments. If it is dirty or clogged, clean it. If all the hoses and tubes are in good shape, check the IAC valve under the throttle body.
  • paramount13paramount13 Member Posts: 18
    I misspoke. Actually, it idles around 700 rpm, but roughly. It runs beautifully when not at idle. What is involved in cleaning a throttle body or an IAC valve? If I have someone do it, how much will it cost?

Thanks
    Maybe $200 but it really depends on how the tech is feeling on the day you take it in.
  • kaymtkaymt Member Posts: 1
    96 Mazda Protege LX 1.5L with 104,000 miles, (past) due for timing belt replacement. :sick: Initially told parts needed were:

timing belt
    tensioner
    cam seals
    crank seal
    valve cover gasket
    timing idlers
    water pump

Estimate totaled $370 for parts (from Advance, not Mazda parts), $200 labor - this all by a friend, independent unemployed mechanic working on his own. I was then advised that if anything "went wrong", etc., this could create a bad situation (for me) as there would be no liability/responsibility for anything that might happen. :(

After contemplation, I decided best way to go would be where I could get a warranty on work (parts and labor), so got a shop estimate of $630 with same parts. Mazda dealer quoted $900, but after hearing previous estimates, convinced me to bring car in for them to check and they would work with me, convincing me they could get cost down to at least mid-$700s or probably even lower. Another shop quoted $260 labor plus cost of genuine Mazda parts which should make total around $700 +/-. ;)

Took car into dealer, they tell me I don't need tensioner (would save about $65 for Mazda part per online research), added additional belts bringing total for parts/labor to $770 and intake "boot" (can't find this online - is it same as valve?) for 85.78/no additional labor, now back up to original $900 quote (actually $932.78 with taxes). :cry:

I do feel warranty is important as I cannot afford to put out more money for re-repair and have no other means of transportation. Do you know if Mazda parts carry their same warranty if service not done by a Mazda dealer/mechanic? I have owned Mazdas for several years now, but this is highest mileage and most major work at one time that I have ever had done on one, so I guess that is what is causing me the most stress, but would really appreciate your opinion. :)

I can't get a definitive answer on what they are charging for labor (as they tell me it varies from $95/hour, but less than that for this type work), but it seems that is the major cost difference, appearing to be (from quote of $260 of other shop) to what appears to be closer to $500 with Mazda, and they tell me they have worked to get the price down and are basically "cutting me a deal"?? Am I getting a good or reasonable deal for the work listed? :confuse:

Two more things they found that will need replacing soon are a thermostat gasket (quoted $225) and distributor cap which is leaking minimal oil now (quoted $150). I was also told by them that my car is in extremely good condition for age/miles. :D Do these prices sound reasonable too? Thank you so very much for your opinion/advice!!! :blush:
    Well I think you made the right choice in not having a moonlighting mechanic work on it (since he would not guarantee his work) but it might have been fine to have the independent shop do the work if they are of good reputation and have a long familiarity with Mazdas. If it's just a local gas station type of shop, I don't know about that.

I think genuine Mazda parts would have a warranty no matter who installed them but you'd have to demonstrate defects is materials and workmanship, and of course the LABOR is not warrantied by Mazda if an outsider installs the part.

I know some very good indie shops so I'd be inclined to save the $300 and go there rather than the dealer, but if you don't have strong confidence in the indie shop or any idea of their reputation, then the dealer is really your only logical choice.
  • downtubedowntube Member Posts: 43
    If there's any air leak between the filter box and the intake manifold, that will cause an idle problem. The accordian-like tube is susceptible to cracking. Since the car's been in a front-end wreck, I'd inspect carefully for leaks.
  • kenjenkenjen Member Posts: 9
    I have a 94 protege 194k miles dx automatic. I have had this car for about 3 months and it has been great...until I parked it one night and when i got up the next day and cranked it it was sputtering and knocking it will not idle and when i try to drive it there is no power. If I put it in park and floor the accelerator it will only go to about 3500 rpm(still sputtering) and almost sounds like it is flooding.When I got the car I put new plug wires,plugs,dist cap and rotor button on it and accessory belts. I am disabled and only drive the car about 20 miles a week. I thought it may be fuel filter so I replaced it and removed the injectors and cleaned them still the same problem...help please,thanks.
    You might drive to Autozone and see if they can get any trouble codes out of that OBD-I system, since you've done all the obvious stuff already. They'll read them for free.
    thought of that but they said they cant read it cause it is a 94..but it wont drive,no power. I did discover it has a very weak spark off the coil(yellow) instead of blue. swapped the coil out with another to see if that was it but same thing,yellow spark. I am stumped,I looked in a haynes manual but the electrical diagrams are sketchy at best. I am getting battery voltage at the coil(13.2 vdc) and the old coil ohmed out within spec.
    Well then there are "manual flash codes" you can read off the engine light but you have to know how to do it on the OBD-1. I should have remembered that Autozone doesn't read OBD-I.

You might have to cruise the specialty Honda internet sites to get this flash code information, or buy the proper workshop manual that tells you how, but you need some hard data to figure out what to do next. You can't just be throwing parts at it, that's expensive and frustrating. Your public library might have something.
    I saw something the other day on what your talking about I will just have to remember where it was. thank you very much for your input and if I get it figured out I will be sure to post the fix.. Kenneth
  • bdkaybdkay Member Posts: 6
    To all you guys and gals out there with a Protege that runs rough with a code that says intermittent misfire, here is what it took to fix the problem.

Spark plugs, coils , wires, injector flush, new PCV valve and count 'em four fuel injectors. One was really bad and the dealership put in one new injector and 3 used ones. All of this was covered under the extended warranty we bought 5 years ago. All the work worth about CAD 2600. Not a cent did we pay to have this troublesome problem fixed. So far, no more check engine light and the car is purring. Hope this helps other people out there with the same problem.
  • bdkaybdkay Member Posts: 6
    To all you guys and gals out there with a Protege that runs rough with a code that says intermittent misfire, here is what it took to fix the problem.

Spark plugs, coils , wires, injector flush, new PCV valve and count 'em four fuel injectors. One was really bad and the dealership put in one new injector and 3 used ones. All of this was covered under the extended warranty we bought 5 years ago. All the work worth about CAD 2600. Not a cent did we pay to have this troublesome problem fixed. So far, no more check engine light and the car is purring. Hope this helps other people out there with the same problem.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    got the code it is a 7-rich/lean detected,I would expect this being the spark from the coil is weak.there is full battey voltage at the coil,ignitor tested ok and coil ohmed out within spec. :
    where is the egr valve on a 94 sohc protege?
    I don't think it has an EGR valve.
    could this be the problem???????? if i squirt wd at the base of the injectors the car stumbles which I guess means it is sucking air ,bad o-rings? chime in, the auto parts store wants 7 bucks for the o-rings hardware store 20 cents?
    Chances are it's a non-standard o-ring. Most of what you'll find at the hardware store is nitrile. You can try using it, but it may not fit right or might not be the material you need (EPDM, viton, silicone, etc). So what's worth more: your time or $7?
    Yeah i thought about that 2 seconds after i hit the send button,After all the threads I have seen where people have spent big bucks chasing these rough running symptoms down 7 bucks is a cheap fix, thanks,Kenneth.
    well the injector seals didn't help, has anyone ever looked at the spark comming off the coil to ground? I am still thinking it is a lack of good spark but I am getting conflicting opinions on wether or not a yellow spark is bad or not.I tried a delco coil out of my jeep and it too shoots a yellow spark, if the timming belt jumped a tooth would that cause it? I feel like i am swimming in a pool of sharks!!
    I would continue to look for air leaks. If spraying around the injectors changed the RPM, look for a leak doing that with a spray carburetor cleaner.

Focus on rubber parts like intake boots, vacuum hoses and grommets.
    found the iac valve is not working properly,any suggestions on the best way to clean it/remove /type of cleaner. could a blockage in the cooling system be a contributing factor/ I just found out the guy i got it from put 2-3 cans of radiator stop leak in it(the kind with the pellets) just before i got it....
  • familyguy6familyguy6 Member Posts: 1
    Were can I find a manual for the protege 1.6 .Is there anywere I can Download the manual,with out paying for it..Thanks!
  • dinorocksdinorocks Member Posts: 2
    Hi i have a 1994 mazda protege DX and it will not start.. my engine keeps on flooding.. but i am not hitting the gas pedal or nuthing.. its as soon as i turn on the key the engine floods. and i get black smoke coming out of my tail pipe. and i got a strong smell of gas... i do not have a Diagnostic tool and the auto zone has only a OBM II scanner... The next auto repair store charges 75 dollors and hour... all i want done is to run a Diagnostic.. is there a way to extract the codes manually?

also what could cause my engine to keep flooding? Sensors?? my Fuel injectors. work fine as i had my Brother in law help me with it.. we removed the injectors.. and they all look good tested them they all work fine so we put them back into the car... could it be a Sensor? like the O2 Sensor?