Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

1686970717274»

Comments

• spanky22spanky22 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, my 1999 Mazda Protege has this same problem with the console/instrument lights not coming on at all. How did you fix this other car? I have checked the fuzes and none are blown. Interestingly enough, the electric mirrors do not work either. On the fuze sheet in the owners manual, it does not say which fuzes control either one. Ideas??
  • spanky22spanky22 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I have had the same problem you are speaking of with the console/Instrument lights. How did you fix the above problem?? I have checked all the fuzes as well with no luck. Looking for clues?
  • ianprinsianprins Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with my 1999 protege thought it was in the transmission took it to a shop. all it needed was a new battery it was no longer puttin out the proper voltage for it to run properly. it would lose power especially up hill the pcm was not giving enough voltage. was such an easy fix thought i was gonna have to have my transmission rebuilt. runs fine now
  • goalema30goalema30 Member Posts: 1
    Went to inspection and failed. Code said needed new catalytic converter (run by Mazda mechanic and Autozone) Bought through a dealer who replaced. Before I go on, car ran FINE before cat was replaced. Drove car from dealer after cat was replaced to work, maybe 10 miles, ran fine. After work, drove home and started to sputter. Next day, had xmas shopping to do and the sputtering started again. When I got home it was dark out, a pipe from the cat was GLOWING RED (got picture since it was night). Now when running, still sputtering. Another test was run and code said it was a misfire. Took back to dealer who fixed and they said it was EGR valve. This was replaced ran fine from dealer to work and then on way home started the sputtering again. How can a car's engine that worked fine before the cat was replaced start having all these problems after the cat was replaced. $1700 and still not working right. Any help would be appreciated.
  • niosamaniosama Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    The 2000 protege had an ignition coil recall. You should check with the dealer to confirm it has been replaced.
  • zachalzachal Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,

I have two independently broken items and need help. I have a 1998 Mazda Protege LX. Here goes:

1. This is the third horn in the last three cars I've owned that has malfunctioned. With this one, I push on the horn button and here a clicking sound from underneath the glove compartment. I tried to get a sense if there was a shorted relay or something, but couldn't figure it out. It's one to one: one push on the button, one clicking sound. Thoughts?

2. A couple years ago after a wet snow I turned on the wipers and "snap!", off went the driver's side blade. Turns out I did some other kind of damage b/c ever since replacing the blade it goes slightly past the edge of the windshield and falls off the edge of the car. Sometimes it goes so far as to fall off and catch on the left side of the car. Otherwise it is fully functional. Are there any ways to adjust the distance the mechanism travels?

Thanks!
    Zachal
  • asusundevil53asusundevil53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 protege that started rite up. It was sitting for a few months I replaced the battery and now its not getting any power no dome light nothing I replaced the con">nections to both pos and neg termals but still nothing does anyone know what else it could be
  • tim220tim220 Member Posts: 1
    have head lights, battery is good - no power to the ignition, starter, windows, or radio
  • keithh1keithh1 Member Posts: 12
    Turning the ignition key results in nothing. No lights on the dash, no clicks or other noises in the starting system. Battery is good (12.65 volts), but I tried to jump start it anyway with no luck. Fuses all look good under the hood and there's power into the fuse box. Could it be a relay? Ignition switch? Is the ignition switch in the key cylinder or is it separate and connected by a rod like in Fords and GMs?