Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Talk about oops...I hope they're still paying for your rental!! Personally, I find it odd that they didn't know what the problem was.
  • draymond2draymond2 Posts: 134
    I agree, you would think they would have some idea. They seemed surprised that this happened, maybe this is just an isolated incident,and I was the unfortunate one to get a bad transmission.

Oh by the way I'm still driving my rental, A dodge dakota. I'm allready tired of putting gas in it.........
    Yes, it sounds like a "freak accident" kind of thing.
    They gave you a Dakota for a rental? Anyway you can switch??
  • jpanzojpanzo Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2002 Protege LX, auto transmission. At speeds between 72-74MPH, and either keeping a constant speed or accelerating, I hear a high pitched whistling noise. It sounds like the noise you hear when the Emergency Broadcast System is testing on your television (only in a faint fashion). If I let off the gas even a little the noise stops. The noise doesn't appear to happen like this at any other speed.

This is in my opinion either a engine or transmission noise. The car has about 1,300 miles. The dealer said this is a "harmonic" noise and there is nothing they can do. I'm very disappointed in that this is the speed that I will do about 90% of my driving, and this noise will drive me totally crazy. Anyone have a similar experience?
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    That doesn't sound normal. Maybe you should drive another 2002 to see if it makes the same noise. If it doesn't then they should be obligated to find the problem.
  • I would change the pads, it's cheap and you will need to soon anyways. The rotors most likely don't need to be cut (turned) if there is still pad left. Good luck.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    at some engine rpms is very common to japanese engines...at least the ones i have driven....namely suzuki, toyota and now Mazda.

At least it is better than the rattling and growling associated with some of the worlds(read USA) best selling cars at any and all speeds...ha ha

why this obsession with 72-74 mph? try 71 or 75mph.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    But I hear the high-pitched warbling between 60 and 65mph. Maybe Mazda changed the design of the weatherstripping to move the resonant wind speed up for the 2002s?

If you accelerate past that speed and allow your car to coast down through that range, do you still hear the sound?
  • dinabordinabor Posts: 13
    Hi everyone.
    I am researching for more info on my problem. I tried already another discussion board.
    I have Protege, 97 LX. My automatic transmission is shifting (I believe, between 2 and 3 gears) with some sort of unexpected delay. The engine holds some extra revs before the gear shifts to the next step, with some jerky feel. Did someone else have this problem as well? If "yes", how bad that can be? Any experience?
    Thank you, folks.
    Dinabor
    does this happen when the engine is cold...first few mile in the morning?

or after the car has warmed up and u have 5 miles or more on ur odo?
    Thanks for reply, chikoo.
    It is always happens, no difference. I have been accurate with maintenance schedules, and watch for proper oil level too.
    Dinabor
    add Lubegard RED bottle...u will get it from NAPA stores or order online at

http://www.lubegard.com

Excellent product.

If the problem is minor, it will be taken care of.

Thanks for reply, chikoo.
    It is always happens, no difference. I have been accurate with maintenance schedules, and watch for proper oil level too.
    Dinabor
    Thanks, chikoo.
    Have you used it before?
    I checked this web site. Not sure, I fully understand posted there instructions
    "Directions For Use:
    For normal applications, add 1 ounce per quart of ATF to the total transmission capacity ..."

What is the procedure? Just figure how many "quarts" is the capacity of the transmission box in my Protege, and measure number of "ounces" per that, and pour that amount to the transmission's fluid receptacle?
    Is there any extra tricks here? Sorry, I might sound dumb, I have never done this stuff before. Thank you.
  • "What is the procedure? Just figure how many "quarts" is the capacity of the transmission box in my Protege, and measure number of "ounces" per that, and pour that amount to the transmission's fluid receptacle? "

I think you basically summed it up. Just don't add too much.
    This happened to my '89 323 with AT too. The dealer service dept adjusted the "bands" in the AT. That took care of the hard shifts (although the car now shakes more while idling in D at red lights).
    i have a 99 PRO ES with AT and I use lubegard.
    Shifts better than brand new. That is all i can say.
    I picked up my car yesterday. Tech stated shift solenoid malfunction, had to replace transmission. First one they replaced on that new of a protege. Also replaced brake pads, stated they would cover under warranty.I Questioned why brakes would have to be replaced at 14k miles, tech stated not uncommon, due to weight of car, etc, etc..I thought that was odd, due to the fact I don't drive the car hard that would put any unnecessory wear on the brakes.

Transmission started to act up on the way home, Drove car on interstate today, having same problems before new transmission, erratic shifting, overdrive light flashing and check engine light on. Taking back tommorrow

Does anyone out there have any ideas on the problem. I really like this car, but I'm starting to think, whether I should keep it or try to get rid of it.

I purchased the car 8-01. Do I have any legal leg to stand on re: lemon laws?
    You'd have to check your State's particular lemon law, as I believe they vary from State to State. Also, check www.nhtsa.dot.gov for any sort of TSB or recall....but I don't think you'll find anything. May as well check anyway though. Good luck!
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    sounds like it's what you have with that particular Pro. Lemon laws vary state to state, check with your state DMV on their regulations...

good luck :(
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    you have to give the dealer 3 attempts at the same prob. In your glove box there is a book that outlines each state's lemon laws: a little white one I think.
    How do you know what's in his glovebox??? LOL!!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    what's even more scary is that he may have my pic in his glovebox too.
    I would tell you what's in my glovebox, but then I would have to kill you!

Lemon law in Ky 12k miles or 12months whichever comes first. I have 14k miles/8months on my ES.
  • I have a mazda protege 1994,72K miles, runs great but today after running for around 5 minutes white fumes started coming from under the hood. I drove it for some 10 more minutes like that,but the engine temperature didn't go up. On stopping I also saw some colorless odorless liquid dripping from the center of the car,probably from the radiator. I guess I have a radiator leak. On examination I found a few wet fins. Should I try any of the radiator leak plugging solutions ? The leak seems to be a fast one as I have lost a lot of coolant. Should I show it to a dealer or directly take it to one of those radiator repair shop ? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Thanks, Chikoo.
    I poured some 6 oz (was limited by higher mark on oil dipstick) of Lubeguard to the transm. box. It is been really, really better. (Knocking on the wood).
    I am thinking now to add the Lubeguard medicine for engine too. Just in case...
    Thank you, folks.
    dinabor
    Glad to know that this forum(and me) has proven useful to you....
    Keep zooming......
  • did you change the fluid, or just add the lubegaurd down the dipstick pipe?
    I'd try to find the area of the leak first. A fluorescent light works well at making the dye in most engine coolants glow. You may need to wash off the outside of your radiator with some distilled water first.

Keep plenty of distilled water/coolant on hand. For ease of use, you might want to pre-mix it and keep it in your trunk.

If it's a big leak, then those quick-fix solutions won't be much help. They're primarily for small pin-hole type leaks. They gunk up your radiator anyway, so they're a temporary solution at best.

Since it's a '94, you can probably go after-market. Mazda may no longer make the stock unit, but feel free to check. All it takes is a phone call. Just make sure that you can get stop-cocks (the drain plug) for it easily. These seem to be made from plastic and they break easily.
  • I took my car to the dealer today and had them run a diagnostic on the coolant system. They found the leak in between the upper tank(plastic) and the middle tank(fins).If they are quoting 512 bucks for a new radiator installed.Does it really cost so much? The few websites I checked had the radiator price at around 110 dollars.
    I am inclined towards giving the radiator quick fix solutions a shot.