Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I think our 1990 LS 400 Lexus is a fine riding and handling car. I think it is more prone to troubles than it should be. It has been serviced every time at the dealer my wife purchased it through. We now have 79,993 miles.
    The airbag light came on about 50k miles dealer wants $2000 to repair. Rearview mirror went out at about 55k miles repair estimate $1200. Gas gauge quit at 65k miles $1200 estimate. To me that is an outrageous amount to pay for repairs on a vehicle with less than 100k miles. My Chevy trucks and Suburban are much more reliable and less expensive to repair.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    In 14 years of ownership you have 3 major issues..None of which you have felt a need to repair and none that will leave you stranded.

Amortized over your 14 years of ownership that would amount to $366 per year if you fixed all three....That doesn't sound so bad to me.
    You may be right. It just seemed expensive to spend $1200 for little problems. It is like Lexus has a standard charge for every little repair $1200. Service was never cheap either. I think over the years it averaged over $400 per visit to the dealer. Our old Mercedes 300sd was not as expensive to maintain.
    Mercedes were fantastic 15 years ago...Electronic's in todays cars have pretty much distroyed their bullet proof reputation.

Maybe a new LS430 in your future?
    NOt unless they re-design. They are not very attractive to my wife or myself. Of course I still think the SC400 is the best looking car Lexus ever built. I just do not like the new ones. We would probably buy the MB E320 CDI if the LS400 has any serious problems.
    I agree with you on the SC 400.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Especially the first couple years when they had the black underchin spoiler in the front.
  • kl3415kl3415 Member Posts: 12
    My master key is damaged around the top where you hook it to a key ring. The remote works but I can no longer place the key on a ring as the top is broken. I went to the dealer and was told to get a new one would require a kit that changes the chip in my car to match a new key ; all total 500 bucks. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement housing that allows me to move the electronics from my existing key into it? I like the ability to unlock my car from a distance but not enough to pay 500.
    You could contact a local Welder or maybe a Jeweler, and have them fix the top part. I was told the master keys were $300 for a new one.

A fix would probable be $20 or $30 bucks.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    A couple of months ago I had to replace the battery in my GS key and found several reference to buying new keys on the Lexus Club board. You might search there for some alternatives.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Well, my pride and joy, an '03 LS, has developed a bad left rear wheel bearing at 14k miles. A bit disappointing to say the least, but I suppose it should be okay afterwards.
  • deadairdeadair Member Posts: 10
    The left door speaker in my '93 400LS is not working. The top tweeter (I think it's a tweeter) near the mirror works so I know it's getting power. It's a standard Nachamichie (sic)stereo. Do you have to remove the dash to get behind the stereo?
    Also, what is the access point to replace the spark plugs. Also, what are the best replacements beside the expensive Toyota plugs?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    is wired through the door speaker assembly (hi-freg coupling capacitor is inside) so if the tweeter works then the connector to the door speaker is good. Sounds like maybe an open speaker voice coil.
  • mattgrichmattgrich Member Posts: 3
    I just chose not to buy an LS430 based on the modifications that have been made to the headlights and their effect on vision down the road. I'm not sure if it is the autoleveling feature coupled with the downward aim and very sharp demarcation line of the projector lights, but the result on dark, hilly roads is that there are times when one is unable to see more than about 25 or 30 feet down the road. Lexus says that they are aware of the problem but have no solution for it at this time. Apparently many have complained, although this site is suprisingly quiet about this shortcoming.

I believe that fearing lawsuits from accidents where an oncoming driver alleges that the car's HID's blinded them (according to Consumer Reports, there are thousands of complaints about the glare from HID's), Lexus has aimed alot of technology at the goal of keeping HID light out of oncoming driver's eyes. A laudable goal, up to the point where downroad vision for the driver of the LS is significantly impaired. And that is exactly what I experienced. The worst case is when you are ascending a hill and the autolevelers point the lights down, cutting short downroad vision even further. No question that the sides of the road are well lit, but far vision is less than half that of regular halogens in certain circumstances.

I suggest that anyone interested in an LS430 test-drive it on a very dark, hilly road first. Any amount of ambient light will mitigate this effect, so if you never plan to travel on a dark road this may not be important. For me, however, it changed my buying decision. It broke my heart too....this is an otherwise great car.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    My experience with the 2004 Lexus LS430 headlights is much different than yours. Granted I have not done a lot of dark winding road driving. I find the amount of light projected on low beam is more than adequate and superior to the former halogen lights. Your mention the leveling of the lights while going up a hill causes the lights to lower. I was under the impression that the leveling mechanism worked in regard to the plane of the car and not the plane of the earth? I have seen others in this forum praise the new headlight systems when driving on dark winding roads.
  • mattgrichmattgrich Member Posts: 3
    If you don't take the car on a very dark road, especially one with hills you probably won't be impressed by the limited forward range of the headlights. In my experience under these conditions it was dramatic. It is something one ought to judge for oneself, particularly if you forsee yourself traveling on this type of road at night.

In regard to the plane of the earth vs. the car, the autoleveling would appear to compensate for changes in the cars attitude relative to an imaginary line tangent to the earth's surface. So if a car is heading up a hill it restores the angle of the headlights to a flatter angle that results in less distance, whereas when descending a hill the lights point up. Standared "fixed" lights would have their aim permanently coupled to the plane of the car, which makes more sense if the goal is illuminating the bit of terrain you happen to be on at the moment. From this I conclude that autoleveling is more for keeping HID light out of oncoming driver's eyes.
    I'll be driving up to Mesa Verde National Park soon, maybe I can check out your comments in regard to the lights. They have lots of windy roads and steep grades there. I'm still not buying your observation that lights go lower to the road going up hill and higher off the road going hill. I'll check it out.. Thanks for the info.
    Sorry, I did not get to try the headlights out on a dark winding road. However, we did see a few dear on the side of the road while driving at a moderate speed. They just looked at us and jumped into the woods and disappeared. I still like the headlight system and will keep your comments in mind for future driving situations.
  • stanfranstanfran Member Posts: 5
    Bought my first Lexus, the LS 430 last month. And being, as my wife Francis would say, a large man, (I said large not fat) I got in the other day and I heard something in the driver's seat snap. Next think I know, I'm recumbent, my head resting on the back seat like a jerk. Now is this something that Lexus would fix? Or would they say the onus is on me, for my size? (Note: I used to drive a Chevy Cavalier, and had no problems, and it was half the size. Well, I was half the size too.)
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Of course they should fix it. I'm sure Lexus has other large drivers of their cars.
    Most common failure in an accident......
    The LS430 is a terrific car. Those are very talented fellows, those Lexus people in Japan. Kudos. But I have one complaint. The writing in the instruction manual. It's a very tough read. Now I understand English isn't their native tongue, but there's some very talented writers out there who would be thrilled to get the work. The service manual in my old Cavalier was informative, entertaining and occasionally even witty. Shouldn't have included it in the trade in.
    Just bought a Lexus 430. Never spent so much for a CAR! Two weeks later I get a letter telling me it's been recalled. Now, I understand these things happen. That a CAR is a very complicated mechanism, with pistons and hoses and so forth. But for twelve years and two hundred thousand kilometers, I never had one single problem with my Chevy Cavalier. Except once. I was driving to Nashville and I stopped for ribs (the Tunnel Barbeque in Windsor -- terrific!) and when I came
    out, four hours later, the battery was dead. Evidently I had gotten so excited over the ribs, I forgot to close the door and I left the headlights on lights as well as the emergency flashers. God those were great ribs.
    I feel your pain. However, I'm very happy that Lexus did not decide to sweep the "little" problems under the run or into the file cabinet as some other manufacturers have done. My new transmission and fuel pump are doing great. I now have a 2004 Lexus LS430 with 16000 miles on it and zero miles on the transmission and fuel pump. That ought to make for a better trade-in next time :<)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "That ought to make for a better trade-in next time :<) "

I think you're kidding yourself there. The dealer isn't going to give a rip about the differential of miles on your tranny or fuel pump. But they did step up, as they should.
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I've just had my '04 LS430 for a month now and I am appreciating it more every day, except for one problem. Yesterday I brought my car in for the 30 day inspection and asked the service advisor to have the tech check out the sunroof. When it is closed, no rattles, even with the shade open. When I open the sunroof, it rattles, especially at low speeds. I have noticed that the sunroof does cause a lot of wind buffeting, more than I have experienced on any other car. As luck would have it, when I went for a test drive with the tech, the rattle was very minimal. He told me there was no adjustment for the sunroof in the open position and the because of the design of the sunroof, it has to "float" some in the open position so it won't bind. He said all was normal.

After I picked up my car, I did some experimenting. It seems like the sunroof rattles more at slower speeds and is partially caused by wind buffeting. I opened the sunroof about 3/4 with all windows closed and at exactly 25mph, the pressure from the wind and the rattle hurts your ears. Any faster or slower, the pressure is relieved and the rattle is more intermittent. Fully open, the sunroof continues to rattle intermittently, but without the air pressure, and by putting light pressure on it, the rattle stops. By lightly touching the open sunroof while driving, I can feel it vibrating, like the sunroof is flexing.

I guess I can understand the wind buffeting and the air pressure, especially with such a large sunroof, but I can't believe the rattle is normal. Does anyone else have this problem? I guess the only way to see if it is normal is to drive another LS430. I have to believe if anyone else had this problem, there would have been a thread about it before. Any help, recommendations, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    mfpr----I have a 2003 LS430 and have not experienced any noise or vibration problem with the sunroof. Of course,when it is open,there is the normal?? amount of wind noise,but certainly no vibration in the sunroof itself. I rarely drive with the roof fully open,but I have and had no problem. When I do use the roof,more often than not, I use the tilt feature,especially in cooler weather. Do you have any problem with the tilt position? I had a problem like the one you mention with the noise and buffetting on 2001 Avalon,but no vibration. The dealer supplied a plastic cover over the front of the roof and the problem stopped.Good Luck!!
    It sounds like the low frequency sound "pressure waves" are causing the roof to move up and down slightly.....
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I do think "pressure waves" are part of the problem, but I hope that the rattle is not normal. From experimenting last night, it seems the rattle starts when the sunroof is about half way open to open all the way. The tilt feature works fine, with no noise at all.

Mike
  • 19331933 Member Posts: 3
    I have a LS430 with less than 6000 miles on it. I wish I had my Buick P/A Supercharged back.I don't see how JD Powers can rate this car as high as they do.This car has a bad hesitation of a few seconds when accelerating.I was informed by the dealer that this has been going on since 1998 when Lexus went to the computer drive by wire system. It is an engeering problem but there are not enough complaints for Lexus to correct it. Most people are like my wife, if it starts, everything is ok. Another problem, is the when you hit the brakes heavy and take your foot off of the pedal the car continues to brake real heavy.I have more complaints but this post is getting to long. The bottom line is this car is over engineered.
    Is likely not more than a few hundred milliseconds but is definitely noticeable. Just remember, that with no ability for "jack-rabbit" starts, the engine and driveline will last a whole lot longer.

Brake "feeling" is the result of BA, Brake Assist, now standard equipment on many new cars.
  • zdudezdude Member Posts: 22
    Push the pedal quickly let off then hit it hard again, this solves the hesitation for me. My BMW used to do the same thing and that was how I kept it from hesitating. The problem is the computer downshifting the transmssion. I don't even notice this *problem* anymore. I think you can also put the "ect" into power mode and this makes the transmission shift points higher.
    BTW, the Lexus is NOT overrated! It is probably the finest car I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of luxury brands.
    My LS430 also has the sports suspension, lots of fun ;)
  • damenddamend Member Posts: 1
    I accidentally dropped a piece of metal in the cigarette lighter and it must have shorted something out because now my upper LCD display does not show anything and the air conditioning, heating, defrost, etc. will not operate. I checked all of the small fuses, but it must be one of the larger ones. Any ideas which fuse it might be and how can I test it. I have a meter.
  • ownitownit Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this forum, and I too have purchased the wonderful dream machine, aka LS 430. Several days ago I picked the dream up after having the new trans installed. My dealership knew of no other compensation other than the no cost to us trans. I'm upset by it, and called the 800 number to complain. I first heard about the $200 gas card while reading in this forum over a week ago. The Lexus Corp. confirmed it. I also added my own 2 cents worth. It is important to voice your opinion, and to the right people. I don't usually spend this kind of money on a vehicle either. I thought I chose wisely. Incidentally, this is not the first Lexus I have owned. I appreciate all comments read so far.
  • deadairdeadair Member Posts: 10
    The check engine light on my 1993 LS400 came on recently. The code indicated was 25, indicating a lean mixture - which points to O2 sensors. My question is how to determine which sensor. You indicated that you can check the voltage for a drop to determine the weak sensor.
    Where and how is this accomplished? Also, has anyone ordered the CD version shop manual and how would you rate it? Lexus Technical Information System
    more likely means a clogged injector....
  • agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    someone smashed in my front passenger window last night, by the looks of it, most likely with a baseball bat. it was a mess inside, glass everywhere stuck between everything. my cup holder wont work cause glass is stuck inside.
    i got 2 estimates. one from a lexus dealer, and from some third party auto shop.
    the dealer, for the window, tinting of the window, and replace the black side panel on the door(which was also bent in) = $850
    the other shop i went for same stuff: $750 for lexus glass, $650 for generic glass.
    i went for the $650. he told me it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference, there just wouldnt be a lexus sticker. will i notice any difference, noise,anything between the two? should i just pay the extra 100? anybody know?
    There is a difference between the two grades of glass. I would recommend the extra $100 and get the right stuff. YOu're driving a Lexus, for Pete's sake, why be cheap? The cheap stuff will be likely made in Mexico, and doesn't always fit just right. I've made this mistake once - won't make it again.
  • agent0986agent0986 Member Posts: 64
    thanks- i decided to go for the Lexus glass and after it was repaired no problems or anything. looks perfect, impossible to tell the window was replaced.
    I agree with nvbanker about replacing like for like. I was met with a similar problem, and I replaced everything with the Lexus brand. It's true, you have an expensive product. Don't go the cheap route. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
  • scott1scott1 Member Posts: 50
    The glass used in the windshield and side windows on a lexus is not just like any other glass. It is thicker and designed to reduce interior noise. I just bought a GX 470, which is built on the same platform as the Toyota 4 Runner. The windshield and side glass is NOT the same on the Lexus as it is on the Toyota.
  • debapdebap Member Posts: 1
    Please provide the fix if you would.
  • maadmmaadm Member Posts: 1
    I am not familiar with the $200 gas card offer. Was this is connection with the recall on the early 2004 LS430? I purchased this model in July of 2004.

Thanks

maadm
    The $200 gas card is compensation for being inconvenienced in regards to the transmission that has/had to replaced in the LS430's. The dealerships play dumb, but the corp. has confirmed it. Supposedly, once you have had the new trans installed, the Lexus Corp. sends the customer 2-$100 gas cards. I was told that it would be mailed out about 1 or 2 weeks after the trans is installed. It is supposed to be automatic, but I called just to make sure. I'm in the waiting process right now. I'll confirm its arrival as soon as I get the cards. I'm talking about the 2004 LS 430. I bought mine in early February, '04.
  • azfj60azfj60 Member Posts: 15
    First of all, I am new on this list, and have spent the last several days browsing the last few years worth of posts. Excellent information! I am considering buying a 1990 LS400 with very high miles, over 200K. I has had substantial work done, PS Pump, PS rack, struts, etc. LCD's work good, no dark spots, and AC recently "fixed" though not sure how well. Problem is both front seats have rips/tears at the seams of the leather. What have others done to replace the leather on the seats? Local shops? On-line? I'm guessing around $1600 to fix (this is what I was quoted to put leather on my Honda Odyssey through 3rd party a few years ago). Any inputs on the leather specifically, and checking out the high miles LS400 in general? I appreciate your inputs!
    Go to your dealer, try to find out where they send their cars out for repair, then go to that shop and see what you can negotiate yourself with that shop to get the repairs done. You should get the quality, without the middle mark-up.
  • archiefriendarchiefriend Member Posts: 7
    I bought my 04 LS430 in January 2004, and I just had the transmission and fuel pump replaced. My impression is that the trans upshifts a little more sluggishly now. This makes for smoother part-throttle acceleration, but under hard acceleration, there is a period of latency of just under a second. My highway fuel economy is also up to about 26-27 at an average speed of 75-80 mph. Is this real or just imagined? Finally, I haven't heard of this gas card campaign. What is the 800 number to call to inquire about this? Thanks.
    I received my $200 Gift Cards for gas in the mail early last week. The dealer service manager was unaware that Lexus was going to do this. The Customer Service number should be included in your auto manuals that came with the car. The number I got off the Lexus Owner's site is 800-255-3987 ext #4. In regard to the shifting of the new transmission, I found just the opposite from your experience. I thought it down shifted more responsively than the old one. Good Luck
  • archiefriendarchiefriend Member Posts: 7
    Thanks. That's 800-25-LEXUS. I should have figured that one out. BTW, has your highway mileage gotten better as well?
  • completesarahcompletesarah Member Posts: 1
    Have you tried this woolite trick yet?