Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    Thank you both for the resposnes. Great information and advice. I think I will pass on cleaning power steering filters altogether and just replace fluid often!.
    Sheldon
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello There !
    The BST way to get a manual for a GREAT Deal is on Ebay.com just type in "Lexus Manuals" or somethign like that if they do not have it at that certain time just waite for a few days and one is bound to pop up i have seen LS Manuals from 1990 to 2000 !! and the price is NO where near $160 !!! ok well wish you best of luck!! Ohh and what is transmission shuttering ?? i wonder if i have Type IV fluid wonder how i can tell all i know is i think it is red humm ?
    Happy LS400 owner,
    Paul
  • djr7399djr7399 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 1995 LS400 with 109K, Went to the dealership to get basic oil change, was informed that I needed the dreaded P/S Pump replaced and pair of ball joints, total together $1400 (850 p/s, 550 ball joints). My question is should I stay with the dealership or try an independent mechanic. never took anywhere but to the dealership, what should I look out for if letting anyone other than Lexus touch the car.

All and all I love my Lexus.

One other dreadful thing happen, parked the car by itself as always, came outside looked at the Lexus,lo and behold someone hit the the lower quarter panel with their bumper and just drove off (boy what a day I was having). Smashed in the quarter panel about the size of a golf ball.

Do you guys recommend someone other than a collision shop to fix golf ball size dents.

Sorry for the long post just had to vent.
  • rdwcdwrdwcdw Member Posts: 8
    Hi Your only second choice on the power steering pump is to ask your dealer to put in a reseal kit or have your local service guy buy the kit from lexus and see if he will put it in, depending on the condition of the pump this can be a good thing or a bad thing with that low of miles if the seal is installed right it should work out well, as far as the ball joints anyone can put a set in I would look for a frame and alignment shop.

Good Luck and let us know.
  • jlosekejloseke Member Posts: 1
    I'm just now purchasing my first LS400 -- and the first shock seems to be that the bulb on the CD display is out, so you can't see it at night.

The dealer has indicated that you can't change the bulb -- that you have to replace the entire $600 unit.

First, that sounds like mighty questionable manufacturing, to have to replace an entire radio to fix a $1.50 bulb. (unless, of course, you're the guy that can charge the $600!).

Any suggestions for how to get this fixed without that much outlay?
  • crowbait1crowbait1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks to all the previous contributors on this subject, especially to those who advised not to have Lexus do this job. My 92 (220K km / 140K miles) lost refrigerant through a leak in the evaporator and subsequently fried the compressor. I also needed to change to the new refrigerant. A very good AC shop in Toronto had a source of well-backed re-manufactured compressors and was clever enough to fit a new evaporator for a Toyota Cressida instead of the Lexus part. Same fittings, just a tiny bit narrower & less than half the cost. The whole job including the conversion to new refrigerant still cost more than air conditioning my house a while back but was done for less than the cost of a new compressor from Lexus. The shop is also backing it as well or better than the dealer.
  • kimsingerkimsinger Member Posts: 12
    Starts idling around 1400 rpm - faster in winter. Takes around 4 to 5 minutes to progressively fall towards normal operating temperature speed of 650 rpm.

1995 LS400 Mark 3

Please add your car's data to the list. Does anyone's car NOT idle fast when cold?
    Hello ~
    I just need to know if i am operating on the BEST Transmission Fluid the Type IV for my 1994 LS400 if i had fluid put in/checked @ Lexus for the 90,000 service (This winter) would they have put in Type IV in it? I know that the fluid is red , OHH and what is Transmission Shuttering ??? what are the signs and what is the casue ?? Thanks
    Happy Lexus Owner,
    Paul
    Paul , transmission shuddering occurs when you press the accelerator half way down during normal driving to gain speed. The shudder feels like you just ran over the reflectors that separate lanes on the highway. I have not heard that this causes damage to the tranny, however it is very annoying and I feel as though it hurts performance. I have found the shuddering in older models (90 to 94?) with miles up over 80 90 K.

Thank you for the post about manuals at E-Bay, I guess that is a good start to purchase many different items.
    Sorry to disagree but shuddering is never normal, my LS 400 with 188K mi has never had or will have shudder, shudder means something is wrong, ie clutches slipping. To ferraro your Lexus dealer should have put in the right fluid in I would not worry, the worst that could happen is that they still had the type 2 around and used that, A note to all if you are worried about your transmissions and want to do the best thing for them every 15 or 20K miles find your drain plug on the bottom of the transmission jack up or buy some ramps to get the car up,go to your Lexus dealer and pick up a four Liter can of Type 4 fluid for $30.00, unscrew the drain plug it will drain 2 liters of fluid then get a 2 liter plastic juice holder and a narrow tipped funnel and replace the two liters of fluid in the filler tube, this is what your dealer does to your car and once you are setup this only takes 20 mins
    I think you are thinking about owners manuals on E-Bay this is not the same as the service manuals, you might find some on E-Bay but it will be a rare deal.
  • atagatacatagatac Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for you suggestions, ferraro1, regarding the slow leak on my 92LS 400. I called a mechanic who is charging me $300 for a rebuilt power steering pump, parts and labor. He is giving me a one year warranty on parts and labor. I don't know if I should go with this or just have mine resealed. He works primarily on Honda cars but have some knowledge on Toyota/Lexus as well.
    rdwcdw No apology neccesary, I certainly do not think it is good, or correct for the tranny to shudder, and certainly it indicates something is wrong. I must say it is very common though. I wonder if my tranny is ruined, or if the full fluid and screen replacement will remedy the shuddering?. What does the the 2 liter every 15 to 20 K miles achieve?. On domestic tranny's many have recommended to not change fluid too often, seems very different from your advice to partially change fluid every 15 to 20 K?.

Sheldon
    The LS 400 holds 8 liters of transmission fuild, if you are very fussy and want you trans to have nice red fresh fuild by changing 2 liters every 15k it will always be fresh, Lexus service recommends 30K which in my opinion is fine. also don't know of a problem with changing trans fuild to often on any car I have heard that if the trans has not been changed for many miles 100K or so that when you change fuild you could have a problem with sludge getting into the valve body and possible clutch slipage,interrestly enough Lexus does not ever recommend the trans filter being changed, they call it a strainer.
  • drivinfooldrivinfool Member Posts: 10
    Silverprincess, saw your post of 4/23--I have '94 LS 400; it did same thing a couple of times only mine did it at stop lights and very slow rolling stops. The 120k maintenance I had recently seems to have taken care of the problem. I had a very dirty air filter but didn't ask if that had anything to do with it. Being female, I don't have much mechanical savvy, but I DO know when it is making strange noises and doesn't drive right!
    anyone out there have any input on what the best tires are for LS400 to get decent mileage? I am on my 5th set of tires (117k miles); first 4 sets were Goodyear V-rated which were the original stock tire that came on the car. I recently went with Michelin tires and seem to be getting much better wear. The ride is a little harder than with the Goodyear but was wondering if other people have had same problem. I have one friend who has had same experience. I live in Central Fla.--is the climate partly to blame?
    Is it necessary to use a V-rated tire on these cars?
  • bratcliffbratcliff Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if a simple light bulb change will correct the display at the shifter? Cannot see whether in Park, Drive, etc. with letters right beside shifter. Display on dash still works fine but would like to fix shifter if an easy fix. Thanks for any input.
  • mhartlessmhartless Member Posts: 11
    The light for the transmission display on the shifter is just a light bulb replacement. A special little bulb you can buy at your Toyota dealer.....or if you are cheap like me you can use the one from the inside the glove compartment light which I don't miss.

To replace the light just carefully lift up the plastic cover and remove and replace the bulb ...it just pushes in.
    maw1982,

I doubt if you will be able to buy a 1994 LS400 for close to $6k on eBay unless salvage title or worse. Typically people wait to bid until the end and the price will be much higher...even for a car with 150kmi. Make sure you run VIN through CARFAX to check history. For a price estimate look at Edmunds or Kelly blue book on web. On eBay you should be able to get close to wholesale.

As for any costly vehicle you buy you should have a mechanic check out if possible and look for good maintenance records.

On a used LS400 with over 100kmi you will typically need to look at a minimum of the power steering pump, AC and the suspension. The LCD for the time/temp will probably be bled out and need to be replaced.

The keyless entry is built into the key...make sure this works since it is an expensive fix.

If maintained properly you should not worry about the engine or transmission on a used LS400.

These vehicles are very reliable even with 150kmi on them. But as with any used vehicle maintenance will be an issue.

Good Luck on your search for a nice LS400...this will be a car you keep and enjoy for a long time!
    I switched recently to H-rated Continental ContiTour tires for my '92 on recommendation of our legendary regional tire and wheel guru Paul Ross in Pickering near Toronto. These come OEM on many Benz, Volvo. and a few BMW and have a DOT wear rating of 360 which is about 40% more than the V-rated Michelins I replaced. Very nice ride, quiet, and good feel. Paul put me in 225 60 rather than the original 205 65 to reduce the chance of premature shoulder wear. I'm expecting 3 good summer seasons from these but don't know yet. All that said, if you want to drive your LS400 like a sports car then maybe a V is for you. Then again, maybe a GS400 would be better! My advice: find a great wheel and tire guy where you live, tell him how you drive, listen to his advice, and pay a bit extra for a great job of installation and balancing.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The real value of this car if it is average condition should be around $12,000.

Even so, I'd be very careful of any complex old luxury car with this many miles on it. 150K means that most of it's useful life is over, and the part that's left is the expensive part (hey, kind of like people!)
    I have a 92 LS 400 for sale. LCD Changed, A/C changed (By Lexus over $3000-),Power steering pump & Alternator changed, new tires all around (Falkens), true one owner (New car trade & I have original title) 98000 miles. Very clean everything works, not a spec of rust anywhere to be found CD changer works perfectly, new driver door handle (Breaks on a lot of LS 400's) new factory floor mats, Diamond white pearl exterior and beige interior. I have 3 keys, remote key works. Car still has original kits for tool and first aid. Spare tire was never removed or put on car. Car is clean and original. I want $11,500.00 firm. Car is in Hollywood Florida. I can take car to Lexus for inspection at cost of buyer.
    VIN NO J T 8 U F 1 1 E 3 N 0 1 0 2 9 3 3
    Sheldon
    kwmg@bellsouth.net
  • pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    does anyone know of a good leather softner for the seats? i have tried tanner's from wal-mart, but it does not work very well.
    pj2323:
    I Have heard that Lexol works well On LS400 seats that have turned stiff Personally I have not used the product but I have heard it works well (i would have before i used a VERY harsh chemicial witch caused my leather to become discolerd and now I am in the process of getting it re-dyed)ohh yea can anyone help me , what am I looking to pay for the passenger and center console to be redyed, hope someone has got it done and tell me their results
    Happy LS400 Owner,
    Paul
  • atagatacatagatac Member Posts: 5
    Is there a quick fix on wind noise that is coming from the moonroof of my 92 LS400? It becomes noticeable at about 40MPH and above. I check the rubber seal along the moonroof and it looks ok and it closes perfectly. There is a slight amount of water leak under it after a carwash. Will installing a moonroof wind deflector eliminate this problem? And if yes, where can I get one? I have never seen a Lexus LS400 installed with one. Need your comments. Thanks.
  • rdwcdw1rdwcdw1 Member Posts: 7
    There is a TSB out on the fix for the noise from the roof, some part of the channel has to be bent, if you want to do it yourself I will look it up for you if not Lexus knows about it. It has nothing to do with the weather-stripping.
  • globeconglobecon Member Posts: 1
    hi,I am living in Spain and own a Lexus ls400
    1993 model and have some problems with the lights
    on the dashboard, sometimes the lights comes back on,sometimes they are off. Does any body know how to solve this problem,is it just the wiring or is there somewhere a junction box that I don not know off. Also when I drive faster than 80 miles an hour I hear a bell,doe also anybody knows how to take this out. Many thanks. Anyhow despite the problems and the stupid fuel bills i really love my lexus and i just want to have everything working.
  • pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    where can i find lexol? the parts dept at my lexus dealership said he had never heard of it.
    You can buy Lexol products from

www.dccarcare.com

I bought some wheelskins from them.

They are very helpful.
  • sdjonessdjones Member Posts: 1
    I'm puzzled by the high idle issue.
    I had a '91 LS400 - 110K - started and idled at 700-800. I had another '91 LS400 - 40K - same. I've got a '92 LS400 - 80K - same. Just bought a '97 LS400 - 70K - starts HARD and idles at 1300-1500 ... get whiplash backing out of the garage. But after reaches operating hemp ... idles at 700-800. Going back to dealer ... will post results.
    As to transmission, I've gone to the local Toyota dealer, IV fluid is about $30 a gallon, and I just drain and refill every time I change the oil. I view it as cheap insurance. Sound like I need to do the same to the power steering. Anyone have any thoughts on coolant ?
  • bluex19bluex19 Member Posts: 10
    It may not be what most people do but I would like to carry a bicycle on a roof rack on top of my 95 LS400. The problem is that the two major roof rack manufacturers do not list a roof rack suitable for 95 LS400. Surprisingly there is one for 94 LS400. So my question is: does anyone of you use a roof rack on a 95 or later LS400 and if yes, what is the manufacturer.
  • bluex19bluex19 Member Posts: 10
    q45man,
    I live in Atlanta and have 95 LS400. Where is your T3 shop located?
    Thanks.
  • brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    FYI

S. Cobb = 404-794-7700

Lawrenceville Hwy/Decatur = 404-633-7722
    Wow you presented a real mix of Lexus idle variations, I thought that the 90 91 92 were the ones with fast idle problems, could you please let us know what the dealer finds with your 97, your 97 acts like a lot of first gens, but for some reason not all?
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    In 94 the OBD2 emission control system was introduced on many lux cars, cold start emissions are now the leading polluter, necesary to raise idle to around 1200 rpms to heat the precats faster to reduce this problem.
    The computer controls the idle speed based on water [engine] temperature....the colder the faster the after start idle when the O2 sensors warm up enough [1-2 minutes] to give a reliable signal they enter the mix of control signals to derive the idle speed.....when coolant reaches 160-170F the idle returns to normal.
    AC, power steering, and heavy electrical load [heater fan, window defroster, lights, seat heaters, etc] will cause an momentary or sustained increase in idle speed to make sure that the voltage is always above 13.6 to the fuel injectors. [so that a precise amount of fuel in released per squirt].
    The required rpm is measured from the crank angle sensor and the IAC [idle air control] will adjust the amount of it's opening to give the required CORRECT idle speed.
    Things can go wrong when the intake track gets dirty and the IAC opening is abnormal or runs out of range....cleaning to remove the EGR build up will return things to normal....eventually the O2 sensors get sluggish [take to long to switch] after 60-100k and the systems appears to hunt back and forth to find a happy idle.
    Computers are only as smart as their inputs!
    T3 Automotive LLC, SE largest independent servicer of Lexus and Infiniti.
  • kl3415kl3415 Member Posts: 12
    Response to #129, I had a similiar problem. I changed the theromostat, hoses and temp. sending unit. The problem was resolved when I had the acutal guage replaced. It cost about $250.00 I believe.
    Hi Sheldon, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable and saw some discussion last month about A/C problems. My LS 400 a/c picked this week to die on me with temps in the mid-90's in central fla so I need help quick. Saw where you recommended finding a non-Lexus repair shop. My car has 118,00 miles with no previous problems with a/c and it is bearable if car has been out of the heat but once it has been sitting in sun, forget it. Any ballpark ideas on what kind of cost I'm looking at?
    This car is a '94 and to me the blower on max cool has never seemed to cool the car down fast during hot summer months. Just doesn't seem to put out a blast of air. We have a Solara and Tundra in the family and there is NO comparison to air output. Theirs makes mine look sick!
    Was this common with the earlier models?
    Thanks for any help; sorry to be so verbose here!
    I made it fine to 100M then it's been p/s pump, water pump and now the a/c!
    But I do love the car. Would buy another in a minute although I'm disappointed in the new 430 looks. Like the old style better.
    I agree the new 430 is a awesome car but the look is not as pleasing to the eye, I am still not sure about it.

For A/C you must do your homework in your area. Do not rush, take the time to visit some local A/C shops. Only deal with long time businesses. Pay close attention to the personality of the owner or manager who you will have to deal with if there is a problem after the job is done, if they are nasty or impatient while giving you an estimate move on!. Ask and, verify if possible, that the shop has done Lexus prior to yours. There are shops that specialize in Japanese or Lexus , Infiniti etc. There should be such a shop near you as well. This is a good choice as they are familiar wiht your particular auto.
    No matter what route you choose, (Dealer or independent) it will cost you. The A/C on my Lexus was redone before I took possesion of the car. The other repair items you replaced are normal for your car, age miles etc. If the major components of your car are good (Engine Tranny) than the investement is worthwhile. I cannot imagine selling the car for a price with no A/C.

I have found in the past some profesionals who really new Auto A/C well and some times they were able to repair systems for me with out the major complete overhaul! saving $$.

Address your questions also to q45man, he is the real preeminent Lexus Infiniti expert here! and he is part of a independent shop.

Good luck Sheldon
    Generally an evaporator leak requiring replacement but compressor can go in 7 years.
    We pay about $400 for each component but the labor especially evaporator is time consumming.
    Multiply our cost by 30-40% for retail
    Most bills don't exceed $1500.
    92 LS400, 140k miles and on original PS pump. I'm topping up about 100-150ml at every oil change, i.e. not very much not very often. My mechanics can't find a leak. How much loss should I see before I need to think seriously about the inevitable pump replacement? Thanks.
  • fxdwgfxdwg Member Posts: 1
    q45man--I understand that you are with an independent shop that specializes in Lexus (at least partially). I have a 92 LS400 purchased new with approximately 121,000 miles. Basically the car is still in good condition but I am beginning to notice that the transmission is shifting hard and quite noticeable. Also the ride is not what it once was. It has all available options for 92 including the air suspension. We have never had any problems with the suspension, flipping the switch and it car still raises and lowers as it should, but again the ride is not what it once was. Due to the age of the car I really don't won't to continue putting large sums into it. Can you give me some idea as to what needs to be done with the transmission and the approx cost? Also, any reasonable fix for the ride? Thanks.
    The usual life for shocks is 60k to 100k, they start wearing slowly from the beginning and most people don't notice the change until they get really bad. Especially on a Lexus which is floaty from day one. The air shocks cost around $400 each plus labor. You could have wear on the tension rods, upper A arms, or ball joints also [any clunking noise?].
    The transmissions are unusually long lived...250k..if you get the normal very 30k partial fluid replacement.....we recommend a full fluid and chemical flush with runs about $150 to get all the friction material residue out.
    Thanks Sheldon--I located an a/c shop in business in the area for 40 years and have a couple locations. They had about 10 mechanics; had my car being looked at within 10 mins of my arrival and very courteous. I have slow leak in the coolant line, they put dye in it recharged the coolant and told me to come back in a week or so and they could pinpoint the location of the leak.
    Everything else checked out o.k. for now but I'm sure at some point will be looking at a major repair. Thanks for your help and Q-45 man too.
    Good morning to all I would like to relate my air conditioning experiance with you, I bought my 1990 LS with 188K on it and the air conditioning was not working I checked with the Lexus dealer and he had the car in his records, they had quoted the last owner $2100.00 for the repair, it seems on the older R-12 systems they dont even check things out they just quote for a new compressor some pipes and 134 charge, well to my suprise I added a 1/2 lb of R-12 and the system started working, so then after checking around I found a product called Super Seal Pro from the Cliplight co. this product seals your system, and is used for preventive maintenance to stop future leaks in your system, it has to be installed buy a shop, I just happen to have access to the equipment needed so it was no problem putting it in the system, total cost to get my air working was $30.00,plus $45.00 for the seal and is working great. FYI.
  • marwankwmarwankw Member Posts: 6
    I had a rare problem today with my LS400 that is suddenly I found that my accelerator paddle is not working and I drove around my house with idle speed only I wonder how this can heppen. and in the next morning I found the accelerator working fine again ! what is this ! is it a mechanical or electrical problem ?
    Can you please tell me what chemical is used for the full fluid flush you recomend? also, do Lexus dealers perform flushes or is this a job for a tranny shop? I have the tranny shudder which I am getting ready to correct.
    I also have vibration from the front wheels when I apply the brakes. I took of the front wheels to find nice new pads and very healthy rotors. I thought the rotors could be warped or pads worn, however everything looks fine. I think now I should high speed balance the front wheels, what do you think?
    I have the clunking noise ! I also thought this noise was from the brakes, from loose pads so I checked the fitting kit and shims it all looks fine. The noise mainly occurs whenI first use the car and it sounds very loud and violent like something is cracking or breaking each time, I get the feeling you know what causes this noise could you please share a fix with me?
    Thank you Sheldon
    """have vibration from the front wheels when I apply the brakes. I took of the front wheels to find nice new pads and very healthy rotors. I thought the rotors could be warped or pads worn, however everything looks fine"""
    How can yo tell by looking if the rotors are within 0.003" of perfect true [lateral runout]?
    When you apply the brakes is the key word here!!
    BG makes a "QuickClean" which helps remove [puts in solution] the varnish and loose friction material. This is installed and the car run up to 2500 rom in each of 5 gears for about 4 minutes each [wheels turning on a lift], then the flush machine allows the internal pump to force out the old and suck in the new transmission fluid.....most machines use 14 quarts to make sure 120% of old is replaced.
    The dealers standard is just to drain the 3 quarts from the pan and replace so you drive away with 70% old worn out fluid. This is better than nothing and assures that there will be only minor or no problems through 70-100k since the initial fill is a premium expensive ATF. We recommend an every 30k full flush from day one [$200] for those that want maximum life. But a chemical flush can do wonders [for a while] at any age.
    The LS suspension upper A arm, ball joints, and tension rods should be checked for wear it will be one of these varies by year
  • jav1120jav1120 Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a 97 LS 400 coach edition with 29K miles from a lexus dealer. The car is certified. When the car is cold and you first shift into drive or reverse the entire car rocks.
    The car runs perfectly all the time when I drive.
    I had lexus check it out and they said it was fine. I have never had another car that did this.
    Has anyone ever experienced this problem. I really love the car.
    Thank you q45man. Regarding the brake inspection:
    I cannot tell microns with the EYE. I was looking for a visible problem, like severly worn components and did not find any. I get your note of "When I apply" I guess I should turn the rotors.
    Sheldon
  • ragabnhragabnh Member Posts: 4
    jav1120, if you don't mind can you share the purchase price of your 97 Ls 400 with us. I am in the market for buying 1997 or 1998 LS400.
    Thanks