Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• q45manq45man Posts: 416
    Ususally means starved for gas, an 11 year old car even with only 75k can still have fuel pump problems [filter/pump or electronic controller]. Fairly rare on LS until 150k but have pressure/volume measured to eliminate this possibility.
    Have seen 1 of 2 ignition coils fail intermitently [ususally the drivers side [hidden] one.
    Assume you had plugs and wires changed at 6 years even though low mileage.
  • kaukau Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1990 LS400 with 88K miles. I notice the engine knocks when acelerate moderately from normal cruising speed, 20-40mph (may happen in higher speed, harder to hear). Engine knocks goes away with heavier gas pedal input. I'm using premium grade gas in New Jersey area, not sure if it's just bad gas. Engine temperature and anything else seem normal. The owners manual indicates slight knocking is normal. My questions are 1) what's considered slight? 1-2 seconds of knocks? and 2) is there any adjustment to retart the timing to compensate for this? Appreciate any comments. Thanks!
  • djr7399djr7399 Posts: 24
    Well you guys were right, I decided to stay with the lexus factory brake pads plus hardware, total was $350, turned the old rotors plus the pads, Have to say that the $20 brake pad cost was pretty enticing, Of course you get what you pay for, with all the great advice here on Edmunds, I listened, got the thought of squeaking brakes in my head and flew to the dealer, so that problem has been resolved.

As I was their the service manager(great guy) checked my car again and said I needed front struts. I guess that's the vibration I'm getting when rolling over potholes, hard thump, so back to the drawing board. Overall I love this car.

Thanks q45man, hypeopt,etc for the great advice.
    Owners don't understand that EGR and PCV dump loads of crud into intake and this builds up in entire system, periodic cleaning every 30k will usually take care of most problem but to do it right takes a few hours.
    Early high miles LS have failure of EGR differential valve which will limit EGR and cause knock on slight throttle tip in [failure of emission test NOX].
  • jsb16jsb16 Posts: 64
    I have had a bad LCD on my LS400 (1990) for years. It is the only thing I have refused to have fixed so far because of the obscene expense. My dealer wants $500 to swap it out for a rebuilt unit. I bought at $10 LCD clock at Brookstone and Velcro'ed it to the dash. Only downside is you can't read it at night without pushing a button to light the display. The whole beauty of automatic climate control is i can set and forget the temperature so I could care less being reminded that it is set for 72 degrees. When I finally sell my car, which has given me great service to date, I'll never get anything extra for a good dash board LCD but suit yourself. Jeff
  • blkmgkblkmgk Posts: 54
    I own a 96LS400. Black on Black. Even the windows are tinted black. I am currently in need of new tires and I have been doing some research. After narrowing it down to Yokohama AVS DB and the Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce, does anyone out there have any suggestions? I live in georgia, so I need a tire that gives me good road contact(grippy) and great rain traction, and especially a comfortable ride since I drive at least 100miles per day at an average speed of 80 miles an hour.
    Also, i am interested in changing my suspension(struts, springs-whatever order). What is recommended. I would like to lower the car just a bit. Nothing like a street rod or low rider, these cars tend to be just a little high around the rear and kind of annoys me.
    Any thoughts are greatly apreciated.(same for the tires)
  • rd8ard8a Posts: 11
    I recently bought a 1996 LS 400 and from research and experience I've narrowed my choices to two kinds of tires: Michelin MXV4 Plus and Bridgestone Turanza Revo Z. I've always used Michelins in practically all my cars and I find them to be really superior to everything else I've known, especially in the rain and in terms of ride comfort. The only reason I haven't bought some for my LS yet (it came with Dunlop, which I think is definitely an "econo-performance" tire)is that I've heard people really raving about the Revos. Anybody can say something comparing these tires?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    I've found the best tech data on doing LS modifications can be found at ClubLexus.com; there are separate forums for LS400/430s general topics, one for maintenance items, and one for engine/suspension mods, and one for electronic mods.

Good luck finding what you need - it's there somewhere.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    I just sold my '95 LS in favor of a '98.

The '95 had OEM type Eagle GS rubber; terrible!
    I put a set of Michelin MXV4 Plus on and the increase in handling was decisive.

I know there are more advanced tire designs available for performance vehicles, but I heeded the advice from two tire dealers - don't overbuy your tires, expecting great handling peformance from a vehicle that wasn't designed for that trait from the beginning.

And my '95 fit that description - unless you go in big time for non-OEM suspension mods (springs, struts, rollbars, etc), you'll be attempting to turn a great highway cruiser into something it ain't - and never will be.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    I have driven LS400's with these tires and can personally report the following:

1. Pirelli P6000's: VERY NOISY. Undoes the LS400's refinement. I don't think they are suitable for the LS400.
    2. Michelin Pilots: handles great, (better than Pirelli's) Ride is acceptable but somewhat noisier than I like. The LS400 becomes a sporty car with very responsive steering and handles like it's on rails. I just don't like the noise.
    3. Michelin MXV4's: handles well, VERY SMOOTH RIDE, somewhat noisy on course blacktop.
    4. Bridgestone Turanza Revo Z's: handles similarly to MXV4, equivalent smooth ride, VERY QUIET, and VERY EXPENSIVE. Bridgestone offer a 30 day "try-buy" program which allow you to return the tires within 30 days if you don't like them. See www.bridgestone-firestone.com. I think these are the best tires for the LS400. I have the Bridgestones.

Be aware that LS400's are very sensitive to road force variance. Many tire dealers are unaware of RFV problems. Some tires generate greater RFV than Lexus' specifications allow, which can produce vibration problems. Lexus dealers suggest Michelin MXV4's for minimum RFV but on the other hand, LS400's are shipped from the factory with GoodYear Eagle GA's, which I have found to be very good value for money. They handle acceptably, are smooth and quiet riding and inexpensive compared with the other tires.

FYI, My halfshafts and CV joint vibration problems were resolved at no charge under the Lexus CPO warranty.
    Thanks for that detailed and very informative response. That will definitely rule out the pirelli p6000's. But I have yet to hear any negative feedback on the YOKOHAMA avs db. They are suppose to be the QUIETEST tires on the road right now.
    Welome. There's lots of good comparitive information and owner reports on www.tirerack.com.
    I have found it really difficult to get good info on tires!
    Tires aint tires!
    I have got to agree with you on that alan_s. I have been checking out the comments that were posted on the tire rack web site. Everyone has something to say about every tire. I believe that the overall decision will just be based on your own opinion and satisfaction.
  • I am looking at purchasing a 1990 Lexus LS400 for about $6500. Car has 80k and is in above average condition. Is this a good deal I am an not very familiar with Lexus pricing. In NYC area
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Posts: 44
    Hello ~
    I have the Bridgestone Turanza Revo's on my 1994 LS and I love the tire , best ride !! I would tell anyone to go for those on their LS , and Taurusman yes that sounds like a good price for a '90 LS with only 80k However, you really sould run a carfax on it before putting any cash down but if all checks out well I would say go for it ! (do keep in mind when repair time comes be prepared for some above average costs)
    Happy Lexus Owner,
    Paul
    Anyone familiar or even heard of them.
    I had my windows tinted about a year ago. after i left I noticed that my rear defogger was not "defogging". It seems like the tinters cleaned my rear window and used a rough cloth that ulitmately scratched the lines going across. Now I cant get my rear defogger to "defog". Any solutions, cause I am not about to replace a whole rear window for that.
    I'm thinking of installing one in my LS. Anybody had any problems with this kind of alarm? When I was at the store I heard three people complaining of no-start situations. Any advice?
    There are two connectors connecting the rear defogger elements to power. Check to see whether the connectors are loose or broken.
    If the elements (lines) are broken and there are not too many breaks, they can be *carefully* repaired using a soldering iron.
    thanks for your tire info, alan s. Only one lingering question: Would you say that the Revos are as good as the Michelins for the RFV problem you mentioned?
    I just replaced the Michelin MXV4 Energys with the Revo Z's and am much happier with the Bridgestones - they are VERY quiet and I prefer the handling characteristics. I do not have any RFV problems with my particular set of Bridgestones, although I understand that Michelin have the least problems with RFV.
    If you like a smooth quiet ride with responsive handling I am sure you will like the Revo Z's.
    I have been told that Bridgestone Potenzas have a lower RFV than Revo Z's however they are a high performance tire and not a touring tire and are not as quiet riding. I have noticed that Potenzas are standard equipment on many new GS400's.
    Go with the Revo Z's. Bridgestone have the 30 day return warranty so you can exchange them if you don't like them. I am sure you will, after you recover from the price shock!
  • akboy37akboy37 Posts: 6
    I was wondering if anyone new of any places that had good information on long-term storage of cars?? I accepted a job in Brazil, and will be storing my 90 LS 400 for 4-10 months (depending when I can make it back to Atlanta.) Anyway, if anyone knows of good web sites or has experience with things to do to a car before it sits for a while, PLEASE tell me. Thanks!
  • I am considering Buying a friends 1990 LS400 for 5,000 the a/c is not working (I am mechanically inclined)so I have priced the parts and I think I'll have about 700 in parts. The car is in really good shape in and out no major paint work except for a little work on the hood (no big deal) the temp. control is fairly good
    Like I said, is in really good shape all leather is fine, the belt and water pump where changed at 118K miles front brakes done, but here is the thing that makes me think more than twice about buying it...it has 175k miles I think that is a lot but I would like to know what can I expect from this vehicle.....in my area this vehicles are selling for around 8K with a good a/c but I have not seen one in this good shape everything else on this car works good if anybody knows of any surprises that might be awaiting for me.....let me know thanks you can e-mail me at radiaz@dellepro.com
    We have at least 6 customers with 90-91-92 LS400 with over 250,000 miles besides AC: power steering pumps, coolant tanks, lighted displays go wrong but generally the car was extremely well built....be sure to change all the fluids every year for max life! Only use factory compressor as we have had a lot of problems with others!!!!!! probably has an evaporator leak caused by not changing the oil and flushing system at 60,000 & 120,000 miles.
  • kaukau Posts: 2
    q45man,
    Thanks for your note on the engine knock earlier. I got the repair manual recently and tested the EGR modulator and EGR valve. They all tested fine. I road tested it once with the EGR valve bypassed entirely (disabling the control vacuum line), the knocking actually got worse. I now have everything back to normal, and the knocking appears in light throttle in speed around 15-40 mph for about a second or two. The timing at idle is around 8 degree. I've already tried different brands of gas. My next step is to change the spark plugs back (I changed them to Bosh platinum plugs a month ago). Do you know if anyone had problem with these plugs? The engine seems very clean (regular oil changes). I'm not sure if it needs a intake valve deposit cleaning. What else could it be? I realize this little bit of knocking may not do much harm. I just want to figure out why. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I saw quite a bit of listing with people had fast idle issues. My car is running around 1600-1700 RPM when cold, and it'll last for about 5min. I tested a couple of changes on the engine temperature sensor. By putting a 500 ohm resistor parallel to the temperature sensor wires, it got the fast idle down to 1100-1200 RPM. The trick is not to have the resistor connected at the very first cold start. You need to put a switch in between (turn the resistor on after some seconds of running). This way, the engine will start with the normal cold start routine (cold start injector kicks in). If the resistor is connected all the time, the engine will start up rough running around 500-700 RPM, then slowly going up to 1200 RPM. I tried it with a relay controlled by the side marker light. I started the car normally without the resistor connected; let it run for about 15 seconds, then turned the side marker light on (turns the resistor on), then drove away with 1100RPM fast idle. It worked well. KAU
  • I just dropped pan and replaced trans fluid on my 97 LS 400.
    I did not observe the 7 to 8 quarts drain out of the trans. I refilled and it, and it took less then the amount I was told it would. I could only put in a max of 2 to 2 1/12 quarts (Or half of the type IV container. 4 liters in container total).
    What happened?
    I also cannot find a specidfic proper method to check the trans fluid, the owners manual is vague about how to. Any advice?

Thank you
    Sheldon
  • capostolcapostol Posts: 11
    I just changed my plugs out to Denso from Bosch Platinum. Made alot of difference. The mechanic told me that there are Bosch and Lexus do not mix well.
  • capostolcapostol Posts: 11
    I'm feeling an intermittent hesitation on my 93 LS400. It seems as though the car is bogging down especially in slow speeds (stop and go traffic). Anybody else have a similar problem?

Just changed out the fuel filter, air filter, plug wires, and plugs...