Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• pj2323pj2323 Member Posts: 43
    thanks. it is #10 torx, but whatever is behind these screws, the whole thing turns.it should be easy to take out 10 screws, but i guess they made it so we have to take it back to the dealer.
  • roddmod11roddmod11 Member Posts: 55
    If the TPS was all the way closed and the switch in the TPS was closed, (which means that is as far closed or at the lowest point where the TPS can close) your idle still should not go below 600 RPM. So this leaves to believe that something other than the TPS is the problem. A sticking EGR valve,ie one that does not close all the way after opening, would cause the idle to go lower than the normal minimum of 600 RPM, so if I were to bet I would go with the EGR cleaning. Just my opinion. Let us know what they find. Good Luck
  • devokedevoke Member Posts: 33
    This might not be your answer, but I had a '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had the same problem you describe. Several folks tried to repair it with no luck. Finally, I located a better place through a friend and he immediately decided the problem was a dirty fuel control. He said the normal amount of crud in petroleum products gets into the throttle body and will clog it up when the pressure is lessened on the fuel (lifting foot off accelerator pedal). He gave it a throttle body "I-V" (actually had a clear bottle of liquid holding it up in the air running the solution into the throttle body). We thought we were going to have to call the fire department since the exhaust immediately became black smog and darkened the garage and the parking lot outside. It took literally 20 minutes for the smoke to clear. The Jeep never ran better after that and never had the problem again. Hope this helps.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Re your LS, the condition you describe is that upon lifting your accelerator pedal ( not necessarily to idle) the rpms drop 2-300 and the car decelerates much like a standard transmission,for a moment.Normally if you lift off the pedal the lockup clutch should immediately disengage and the car decelerates on the torque convertor, very smooth and soft, instead you are getting a lurch.I have the same condition with my 91 LS. As far as playing with the tps to set it, forget it, the setup procedure as per manual is very specific as to adjustment.If your sure you need a tps, I have a brand new TH/112 TPS sensor for much less than you were quoted.
  • pfioriopfiorio Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any experience replacing an oem pioneer radio on a '92 LS400 with a '93 oem pioneer radio with cd controls and cd changer? I'm wondering if the harness is pre-wired, and if not, what wiring needs to be run to hopefully make it work. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • abs250abs250 Member Posts: 1
    This sounds crazy but when the headlights are "on" my 92 Lexus LS 400 will not shift from first gear. With headlights off, the car runs fine. Turn the headlights on, the car does not automatically shift out of first gear, and the RPM's rev up. Has anyone ever heard of this??
  • poliwhirlguypoliwhirlguy Member Posts: 21
    for those of you with the air suspension...what kinds of symptoms have you experienced in regard to wearing out of the air struts? i'm curious because currently the front tires are exhibiting uneven wear, there is a slight wobble, a little more bounce than i'd expect, car kinda wanders, and i've had three alignments since the end of last year.

when i bought my LS it had a bad front sway bar. i don't know how long it was bad before i purchased it. i'm wondering if lack of repair of the sway bar has damaged or caused early failure of the front air struts. as a preemptive measure, i got new tires and had them balanced and all that. still exhibits those symptons above. i just don't want to fork out those bucks unless it's a definite air strut failure. dealer says struts are fine but the car does have 90k on it which is what most people are telling me is the average time for failure.

my only other concern is that maybe the strut tops/mounts are rusted out. i'm wondering if i replace only the tops/mounts if that will correct the problems mentioned above. anybody got any ideas?
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    Im Looking to buy a preowned LS400 Between 98-2000. please feel free to email with your comments. pwas77@yahoo.com
    I got my car back from the dealer today and was informed that the air struts are beginning to fail. So, I'm starting my savings fund to pay for the costly $3800 repair. Also, they found that the vibration I was experiencing is due to either the motor mounts or possibly the driveshaft but cannot be sure. So, I'm starting at the bottom here...motor mounts, then driveshaft, then the air struts. Let's just hope I don't break the bank doing it. :)
  • kjbrokjbro Member Posts: 1
    New lexus ls400 owner (1995) with simple question. For regular oil change, do most owners have dealership or "corner oil changer" perform work. I'm not above doing this myself if people in Town Hall suggest such.
  • tn52tn52 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 93 LS. For the last several months, the fuel gauge no longer records the correct fuel level. On a full tank, the needle will only show 1/2 tank. On very cold days, it will show only a little above empty (this is again at full tank)! Any suggestion to fix this? Thanks in advance.
    If all I need is an oil change then I just take it to my regular mechanic. Every other oil change I get my tires rotated. For major work (like what I mentioned in my previous post) I usually get it done at the dealer. Those dime a minute oil change shops don't really live up to my reputation if you know what I mean. I may be losing out on things by avoiding the cheaper prices but I know I'm getting cheaper service too.
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    The local Lexus dealer charges $29.99 for a oil change. This is a very fair price for quality oil, and original Toyota filter.
    One time when at the dealer I found they were actually running specials on certain scheduled maintenance items, less 30% from regular cost. It is also a opportunity to check your auto's history in the computer.

Poliwhirlguy: Have you checked your yellow pages for a local shop that specializes in Toyota / Lexus? Most major cities have such shops with former Lexus dealer mechanic's and / or top quality shops that specialize in certain brands. For the Air Sus. at $3000+ this is where I would shop around. You could purchase the parts from irontoad.com, you could also purchase a shop manual and have a local shop with a experienced mechanic do the job.
    I am not a mechanic, however I love my car. I purchase my own parts and bring to my local mechanic. He is delighted to not have to call around for parts, more time for him, less bills and paper work., He is impressed that I took the time and expense to purchase a factory shop manual. I tip him generously and he allows me to practically stand beside as he works on my car, something impossible at a Lexus dealer. He has begun to really like working on the Lexus, it is a well engineered car, and who can appreciate that more?, Good luck.

1998 - 2000 is pretty much the same car. The 1997 and earlier is different with a 4 speed (Versus 5 speed) transmission and "Sans" variable valve timing on the the engine. The look is also almost the same with the major difference the head lights on 1998 being the newer style high intensity (Almost fluorescent light) and earlier using the halogens. There is also a major price increase as you cross the 97 and newer line, approximately $5000 more. Purchase from reputable dealer only, run a carfax report, spend as much time inspecting and driving the car on a clear sunny day prior to signing any deal. Although you will find the cleanest units at a Lexus dealer do not rule out saving 2 to 5000 dollars buying from private person or used dealer. Use edmunds.com for a real market value price, good luck
    Sheldon
  • nizamuddinkhannizamuddinkhan Member Posts: 2
    Guys,

I have 92 LS 400 with 90 K miles on it now.

I called the Lexus dealer and got a quote for following :

Timing belt change : $550
    90 K miles servicing : $320

Can anybody tell me If there is anything to be done more than above 2 things at 90 K miles ?

Is it a good idea to get these things done from dealer or can they be done by a good Lexus Mechanic that my friend suggested locally ?

Are the rates reasonable or higher ?

Any help will be appreciated
  • tdi90hptdi90hp Member Posts: 20
    If you have never done your belt you should do it.
    on the 90K service make SURE that your dealer flushes ALL fluids in the car.
    1/Power steering fluid (notorious problems with pumps and racks)
    2/Brake fluid (most people never do it but brake fluid tends to absorb moisture over the years and needs to be replaced at regular intervals)
    3/ Transmission fluid(If you can leave the transmission drain overnight you will get more out of the torque converter but you can only get 1/2 of it out)
    4/Coolant (very important)
    5/Plugs (change em')
    6/Filters air and FUEL. They will tell you that they are tough to get off. They are but it CAN be done. let them soak the ends with lots of WD-40 before they pry the fuel filter off. NO filter can last the life of a car
    7/ Change your oil and I recommend you go with synthetic oil.
    8/Brake service, lubricate the sliders and make sure calipers are free of dirt and move well.
    and all the other regular stuff.
    Best of luck. Hope this helps . Claude
    Mine is also a 92 with 190,000kms on it. Runs like a clock.
    dealerflorida,

actually, funny you should mention all that stuff...i actually already have done everything you mentioned. lol. i have the service manual, i have a quote from irontoad, and i have looked for specialty shops around where i live. not a whole lot of shops. i am going to ask my mechanic if he feels up to the task of replacing the air suspension. irontoad gave me a quote of somewhere around 750 per front strut and somewhere around 500 for the backs. i'll have to ask again to see if it's changed. i was going to do only the fronts and then do the backs a few weeks from now.

the main reason i use the dealer is because of technical know-how. my mechanic isn't a real expert on lexus vehicles. and, i know that if the service is serious i can always get a nice loaner. in those rare instances when the lexus fails, it's worth the extra few bucks for the convenience. i hate borrowing cars from family and then enduring the experience. returning to my LS400 is like sitting on a cloud bound for heaven. :) later.
  • nizamuddinkhannizamuddinkhan Member Posts: 2
    Guys,

I have 92 LS 400.

The driver side door lock seems to be not working because of that even keyless entry function seems to be not working.

Even When I try to lock the car with keys... I have to turn the key 2 times to lock driver side lock and other doors.

Does anybody have a similar problem like this ?

Anybody has any idea, How much would it cost me ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
  • tle104tle104 Member Posts: 5
    I need some one show me how to remove the central panel which is holding the audio system.The connection is loose some how and the whole system does'nt lit up.When I still own a 92, I already replaced all the system bulbs once, but not this 96 model year.All fuses been checked and they are OK.Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • maybeg35maybeg35 Member Posts: 186
    My wife dropped a necklace into the area at the front of the cup holder. I cannot see it to fish it out. Is this simple to do? Any guidance would be appreciated. builder1@email.com
  • karluvver1karluvver1 Member Posts: 19
    I have a '90 model and in the owners mamual maintenance schedule there is no mention of fuel filter change. So what's up with that? I change it at 60,000 miles intervals anyway.
    in april of 2001 i replaced the power steering pump and regulator valve on my 92 ls. today while driving the car, it is suddenly hard to steer. stop the vehicle in a parking lot, turning circles left or right, at slow speeds ,it seems to steer normal. is this the pump, valve, or rack and pinion? i have changed the fluid at least every 90 days. in fact i changed it yesterday and put lubegard ps fluid in it.dealer does not think it is the pump, but i did not think rack and pinion went out suddenly. what is your opinion?
    do you have any idea on post # 672?
  • joeangeljoeangel Member Posts: 1
    My 90 LS400, with 107k miles on it, developed a power steering noise. The unit dipstick registered low. Nowhere near a dealer, a local mechanic (who claimed Lexus training) said I could use Valvoline ATF Dexron III/Mercon fluid (the owner manual calls for a Dexron II which is no longer sold). I added it and the noise disappeared. Today the sound returned and the dipstick registers low again. Can I add more of the Valvoline
    ATF fluid before I get the car to the dealer later this week?
  • hyperopthyperopt Member Posts: 55
    Dexron III is an improved version of Dexron II. It's OK to add the Dexron III fluid as power steering fluid.
  • tdi90hptdi90hp Member Posts: 20
    but get to a dealer fast. Your pump or rack has failed... No toyota dealers around you??? get it to them if you can or a guy who specializes in imports...ASAP.
  • marwankwmarwankw Member Posts: 6
    On my information screen one of the functions is "XX Km Since Refueling" I believe this meter should reset only after refueling. But in my car it is resetting 4 to 5 times or more without refueling! how do I rectify this, any suggestions
  • lexus_fanlexus_fan Member Posts: 6
    I have a 92 LS400 with 154,000 miles.

Last time car was serviced by Lexus, they reported that the differential bushes were split and should be replaced. I opted not to replace them.

A few months down the line, and the handling has got really sloppy, especially from the rear. A lot of the time, changing lanes at higher speeds (40+ mph), you get kickback which I have never felt before on the car.

Any ideas? Does anyone know what a differential bush does?

Thanks in advance,

P.S Lexus were ranked No.1 in UK dealer survey and No.1 in reliability survey last week.
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    The differential weather boots crack and allow water into the shafts.
    Generally the shocks [dampers in UK] are worn by 100k or sooner also the rubber bushings in the upper/ lower suspension arms require replacement around your mileage as do the front tension arms.
    Hopefully you've had the power steering pump cleaned of wear debris....fluid flush to protect against hose failure taking out the pump, alternator, and steering rack.
  • lexus_fanlexus_fan Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Q45. So, it's probably a good thing to get the differential bushes changed then?

Now, I've got a new problem. The car starts strangely from cold (it's probably a misfire on ignition), but after 2 or 3 minutes the car runs normally. The dealer has checked it all out and says that nothing appears to be wrong.

He says the only way to test it is to try new plugs, new HT leads etc.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks,
    Since your car has two distributers [4 cylinders each] and plug wires: rotors, caps, wires , sometimes coils but rare].
    Cleaning of the throttle body and plate, EGR, just the normal maintenance of any engine you want to behave like new!
    anybody else experience what i call "the tea kettle syndrome" with their LS? when at highway speeds, the inside of the car sounds like a tea kettle going off squealing and all. so i usually just turn up the music so i don't hear it. i was going to ask the dealer if it was some kind of seal wearing down or what. kinda sounds like it's coming from the front windshield at the corners. guess i'll ask when i go back again.
  • kpykietkpykiet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 LS400 and the Clock/Temp display is starting to black out from the right to the left, I can still read the Temp. Lexus want $70 Labor and $645 for the new display. This price is not practical for a clock. Any options???
  • mhartlessmhartless Member Posts: 11
    There are several previous posts for the LCD issue. You can replace it yourself and buy a refurbished part (~$200). For the price your dealer is charging for labor, I would have them replace it after you buy it.

Good Luck!
    The hourly labor prices [are kept low because they] include the markup on parts to arrive a real hourly margin.....say the average hour is 60% parts/40% labor so a $645 part might include a $322 margin [less the cost of inventory ordering/ holding, space, parts manager and helper salaries].
    Most dealers won't install your parts since they are losing money on the techs time plus there are the warranty issues.
    As an independent shop [which pays the dealer for parts....we get 30% off of LIST due to our volume]. We add $22 per hour for lost revenue to our $68/hr [$90/hr] when customer supplies parts and provide no warranty.
    This is probably a win win if the customer can find the part used or rebuilt on the INET....except if the part fails the customer must pay to remove, ship it back, deal with where they bought it from, and then pay to have the replacement reinstalled!

Obviously the more the labor time the more the risk......think carefully when the replacement takes 3 hours or over on an externally acquired part supplied by you.
    Some one can tell me how to remove the central panel of a LS 400-96 model to replace the audio system light bulb. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Maybeg 35, some one help you yet ?
  • rjbusenitzrjbusenitz Member Posts: 13
    I have a 1990 LS400 that has a couple of the lights out in the center console. The temperature control/clock light is out as well as the light which shows what gear you are in. I've heard that it is easy to fix/remove, but I don't know how. Please let me know how, thanks.
    One of the major cost of doing repair business is purchasing the 2-3 volume sets [about 7" thick] for each year and model along with updated diagnostic software, then training weeks for each technican so the first $6-8,000 in repair business on each model generates nothing!
    If you are going to do any self repair you need to purchase the shop manuals from the dealers.
  • c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    Anyone know of any information how to replace the oxygen sensors for an LS400. Like where it is and how difficult it is to change. Also any other sites related to Lexus maintenance. Any information and or experience shared would be greatly apprecited and thanks in advance!
    There are two sensors on each main exhaust pipes (2 main pipes). One sensor is locate right before the catalytic convertor and the other is right after. Sensors are expensive but easy to replace.
    Answer to # 687 :Rjbusenitz, just go back to beginning of discussion, you will find a lot helpful advises how to replace these bulbs. It's very simple.And also you can order these bulbs from www.irontoad.com , they have very dood price for Lexus part.
    #688 from "q45man" .I think the idea of this town hall is to transfer experiences between lexus owner, not to make us become a professional mecanician,no need to buy repair manuals and updated softwares every year.My goal is just for fun and also a hobby to "Do it your self" by repairing these small things and never have any idea to compete against professional.Lexus LS 400 owners who spend 20, 30000 bucks to get a used LS are not so cheap as you thought and I do'nt think that professionals want to make money from these small works.Please advise to professionals about ordering repair manuals,updated diagnostic softwares and training weeks only, not to lexus owner, please.
  • c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info! I'll try replacing the sensors this weekend. Oh one other question, any special tools needed and what do you think about using aftermarket sensors....bad idea?
    2 years ago,one O2 sensor of my 91 LS been replaced w/ one from Irontoad a little bit more than $100.My experience is do not throw away the damaged one and wait until the check engine light is gone, at least a day to make sure that the real damaged sensor been replaced.Some time the one we thought damaged is still good. My case, the mecanician already throw it away , but when I drove my car up to my office ,around 10 miles, the light is on again, so I know that he repaced the wrong one .Luckily he found it back in the trash can.Try to order at least 2 and if only one is used, you can return one left.Very hard to know which one or how many was bad.Do not use after market product but only from Toyota.They are'nt expensive it you got from Irontoad.
    It'nt the ad for them, but because I already ordered some parts from them and the price very good comparing w/ lexus dealer.Actually I had 2 lexus ,the Es 300 still under warranty and the Ls 96 is not.
    "Very hard to know which one or how many was bad."....O2 sensors.

Easy as pie since inexpensive software can be pluged into a laptop/desktop and cable plugs into car] that reads all the diagnostic codes after 95 models.

I would think that the second most expensive [maybe third since Americans are so over weight]item in your budget [a car] deserves some self education since you will probably have one till the nursing home calls!

Great hobby but if you can afford a LS not a good way to make a living to pay for it!

http://www.obd2.com/

We get dozens per year where the owner tried to fix something minor [without any documentation] and ended up doing damage to inside trim/connectors or worse.

Most bulbs require the manuals to change much less something associated with drivability or emissions.

Owners time would be better served keeping the engine compartment clean so the techs assume that they care about their car and not expose it to exporation or worse. Think I'm kidding!

Nothing makes their day like a filthy engine compartment.

• crowbait1crowbait1 Member Posts: 15
    My 92 has developed the habit of thinking it is being broken into with alarm system triggering a few minutes after shut off and lock - not right away. Local Lexus dealer was unable to find cause. Also was not able to just disarm the system so I could at least lock up without keeping the neighbourhood awake all night. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there a simple way to just disarm the system? Thanks.
    Besides removing the horn connection? Sound
  • 1991ls4001991ls400 Member Posts: 20
    I've a 1991 LS400, and I think the power steering is going down. While driving driving or in park, I can hear the sound eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh and also if I slightly turn the steering wheel in either direction. I drove to work one day, and while in park I experienced the sound as well as playing with the steering wheel. The noise is increasing as I drove home as well as steering the wheels. I've just checked the power steering fluid, and it's normal. What is the noise and how serious is it? Cost of replacing the rack and pinion power steering??? Thanks.
  • crowbait1crowbait1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks q45Man - then again we have the flashing lights for the visually sensitive that would have to go also :) I suppose I could disconnect the battery each night but that's a bit inconvenient. What I'd like to know is whether there is a straightforward way to shut it off permanently without rendering the car inoperable. I'd risk not having a working alarm system at this age of car. Better still, has anyone seen this problem and figured out how to fix it? It's not posted anywhere I can see on this board. Thanks. Crowbait
    Although there are sockets designed specifically to remove O2 sensors, they are not required. You can use regular wrench that fits.
    The data table stored inside the car's computer is calibrated to match with O2 and other sensors for a given condition. You may get away with using aftermarket sensors, but as for me I don't think the benefits of lower cost aftermarket O2 sensors outweights the their risks which may include driveability, emission, and efficiency problems and catalytic converter failures.

If you decided to use aftermarket O2 sensors, let us know the results would you?
    "Easy as pie since inexpensive software can be pluged into a laptop/desktop and cable plugs into car] that reads all the diagnostic codes after 95 models."

There is no need for fancy computer/software to read diagnostic codes. A simple jumper(eg. paper clip) on the diagnostic port will do the trick.
    If the problematic alarm is OEM, there is a way to disable it by grounding one of the wires. Get the alarm schematic first and I'll see if I can help you locate the wire.