Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My 2000 Dodge Durango IS A LEMON!

Comments

• kwinkler1kwinkler1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 1999 Durango, and am going through the process of the lemon law. after having it a couple of months I noticed that the oil pressure was low. Took it to the dealership and they said it was normal. Lesson one always have them document your complaint, even if they say its nothing. They go by the mileage from the first documentation.Even though we went a few times in and they told us it was nothing, it was not documented. So when it started giving us serious trouble where it had to go in for repairs it was 25,000 miles and about 1yr old. Originally they wanted $7,000 for the mileage charge, but now reduced it to $4,000 plus we have to pay the difference in the sticker price of the two vehicles, we will be upgrading to a 2001. I understand now they are putting in 4.7 V-8 engines and they are suppose to be more reliable. we shall see. I figure it will cost me about 6,500. If anyone has gone through this and can advise, please let me know. thanks.
  • tallensrtallensr Member Posts: 2
    ...at 25,000 miles as well. I have ALL of my oil change receipts, and the longest interval between changes was 6,122 miles (the first oil change). Chrysler says I have "sludge" in my engine and that is the cause of the problem. "Sludge is not a manufacturing defect, so Chrysler will not be participating in the payment for the replacement of the engine."

I changed the oil every 3000-4000 miles and I have the proof of that. The owner's manual says I only have to to change it every 7,000 to stay in warranty. My first checkup was not due until 30K miles, 5K away. THIS IS NOT MY FAULT!! I DID WHAT I WAS REQUIRED TO DO BY CHRYSLER!

So what do I now? How do I fight this? I can not afford (nor should I have) to pay $7K for a new motor. Any suggestions?

Any other way sludge can appear besides not changing the oil? I always used high-quality oil (either QuakerState or Castrol). What could go wrong in the engine that would cause sludge?

Thanks,
    Troy
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    No, probably not. The 318 is an ancient design that probably costs more to produce than the newer V8s that started in the Jeep line. Replacing the old engines with the new ones probably also eases meeting emissions standards - and it saves DaimlerChrysler money at a time when it desperately needs to do that.

The old Jeep 4L engine is reportedly also set to expire soon, to be replaced by a new design DaimlerChrysler engine (that will likely be cheaper to produce as well).
  • nuckinfutz_2nuckinfutz_2 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is late... I too ordered a 1998 SLT+, every option but leather. I anticipated its arrival for 12+ weeks. When it came in it looked great. When the dealer (Dodgeworld, Des Plaines, IL - also Elmhurst Dodge) prepped it they chipped and dented the driver's door and covered it up with a splotch of grease. This should have been my first clue of the inept abilities of this dealership!

I firmly believe that all the problems that I have read here and experienced first hand... are direct reflections of were you get service.

I loved my Durango... ride, comfort ruggedness and its ability to get through snow. My biggest complaint was a howling noise the A/C would make after in use 5 or 10 minutes. This did not seem to impact the use of the vehicle (I would, however, compare it to water torcher) it was very annoying. What was most annoying is that after about nine repair attempts at Dodgeworld and numerous calls to the office of the "National Director of Customer Relations" for Daimler Chrysler North America (his initials are R.J.), they still could not put their heads together and fix this... it was after 5 calls to this man's office (explicitly requesting that HE return my calls) only to get return calls from equally inept managers that I got disgusted. Disgusted that the last manager did not even have the courtesy to return my last three voice messages I decided to trade the vehicle.

Since '98 was the first year, I paid a higher price... limited models.... the next year... Sports, 6 cyl and 2WD models reduced the resale value.... I traded a 34k, 2yr old truck w/45000 miles for 17k .... I really took it in the tailpipe buying this Dodge!

I now own a 2001 Chevy Venture LT... not a big mini van fan... I love it. I WILL NOT buy another Daimler Chrysler product again! I also advise anyone who reads this to not purchase one either! Daimler Chrysler DOES NOT care about your satisfaction!
  • investwaxinvestwax Member Posts: 1
    Troy, I have an almost identical case as your 25,000 mile 318 V8. Mine is at a dealership over 200 miles from home because it seized after riding on a long highway trip. The service department and Chrysler have been doing their best to try and pin this on me. They plan to make a decision any day now on whether Chrysler will replace my engine.

My research has come up with some shocking details. Troy (tallensr), Dan Trickel (trickeld) and anyone else with valid information, please contact my e-mail (Durango318@aol.com). I am gathering names and stories for a legal complaint, litigation and possible CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT. If you find anyone else who has run into this problem, please get their information and keep in contact.
  • copytechcopytech Member Posts: 71
    Usually, sludge is caused by obvious neglect of oil changes. But, your proof of regular changes would go against that. A faulty oil filter could not be filtering the oil and pumping around crap in the engine. Another cause would be abnormally high engine temperatures, which would literally cook the oil and therefore be pumping a substance that used to be oil throughout the passages. It's possible that those engines were experiencing some sort of higher than normal engine temperatures and had developed this "sludge", or had faulty oil filters. I've seen sludge in engines before (most notibly a 4.3 chevy that the owner didn't seem to know that there WAS oil in an engine), although I've never personally experienced it in any of my engines. All I can add is good luck on the lawsuit. You are doing what you need to do and the documentation proof you have should help to prove your points. It's unfortunate that the high-ups don't seem to realize that the consumers buy the damn cars that keep their companies going, so they should take care of who's adding to their paychecks.
  • mahall75mahall75 Member Posts: 3
    Is the 2001 4.7 Durango going to have a gang load of problems. Because I like the Durango, and I like to take risks but not as many as every one says. So if anyone has a 2001 let me know what you think before I buy a lemon. I am also in limbo between the 2001 Pathfinder. mahall75@hotmail.com
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    There are lots of Durango topics in our SUVs conference that will be helpful to you. Key Durango into the Topic Search feature on the left side of this page and have a look at them.

Good luck.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • 4bolts4bolts Member Posts: 9
    My 2 month old 2000 durango has major rust on the drive shaft and around the calipers. Plus other places underneath. The dealer told me this is normal surface rust.

Does anyone else have, at freeway speed, extremely loud wind noise? Sounds like it is coming in through the upper part of the door and windshield.
    We had a pontiac that did the same thing. Did all the oil changes at 5000 miles and kept all the receipts. We had no sludge in the engine at all.Of course we had the extended warranty and the company gave us a hugh fight. We won, but it took alot of phone time and documentation.

I just had the oil change at the dealer with my 2000 durango, at 3000 miles (their recommendation) and it was free. We always do our own oil changes with high quality filter and oil. Guess we had best keep the same or better records if this turns out to be a problem with others.
  • badfrontendbadfrontend Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone has found a cure for my '99 Durango's front end problem. I only have about 20k miles on the stock tires/rims. The dealership states abnormal wear on the outside of the tire is a normal "characteristic" of the Durango and recommended tire rotation (again) and had me pay $50 for an alignment which did not cure the condition. Rotating tires has only managed to cause the same wear on all four tires. I am sure rotating the tires every other week would make it less noticeable though (until the vehicle is out of warranty). The symptoms are: front tires lock, squeal and even skip as the vehicle is turning either left or right. I've never experienced any of these problems with any of my other vehicles (new or used).

The other problem (which I consider a minor one) is the hatchback lock not securing when the keyless remote is used.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    I wonder if it isn't your alignment but your 4WD system acting up. The front tires locking and skipping sounds more like the 2 front wheels are locked together.

When a vehicle turns the outside tires go through a bigger arc than the inside tires. Therefore, the outside tires need to spin more than the inside tires through the turn. If your 4WD has the 2 front wheels locked together, they can't accomplish this hence the locking and skipping of the tires.

Can you manually disengage the 4WD? If you have the AWD setup you probably can't do this. I would concentrate on having the front drive components checked out based on your description of the ires locking and skipping in turns.
    I agree with the previous post that it may be a 4wd problem. I remember reading that the grand cherokee's front diffs were having their pinion depths reset as dealerships all over the country because of whine. It's possible that something is malfunctioning, such as improper fluid or something like that. If you've ever used gl-5 without the special ltd slip additive for chrysler vehicles, the diffs can "catch" due to the ltd slip clutchpacks and cause chirping on turns. I am curious as to the alighment numbers on the vehicle, as to what the factory wants to "see" for the vehicle and what numbers your vehicle is actually showing. Also, it could be a poor tire combination with the vehicle? It SOUNDS like the alighment should be checked, maybe have the thrust alignment check, to see if the vehicle is "dogtracking" and to a caster sweep to see if the spindles are bent. Sometimes an alignment can be done, but the real problems might still be there.

Maybe the keyless remote hatch problem is a solenoid that is staying engaged after it is pressed. You might try it and see if it stays "on". If that's the case, it won't go back to the secure position. Just a guess.

Good luck.
  • sherrielliottsherrielliott Member Posts: 1
    I loved my Durango (even though I paid too much for it), but now I'm wandering if I shouldn't get rid of it. Bought it new, took it to the shop almost immediately. Told service I felt unsafe driving this vehicle. Tried to stop, loud clank noise from the front, brakes locked up...near miss accident. They said they couldn't find a problem with the brakes but took some bar off of the front. Intermittent problem with windows and air conditioner not working. Latest problem: Tried to put it in part-time 4WD. Kept popping out of gear. Gave up and put it back in 2WD, then load noise (like something dropped?) and horrible burning smell and fluid all over the place. HELP. What should I do? Checked the engine oil and transmission fluid and it appears ok. Shop won't even look at it for 2 weeks.
    They gave you a rental vehicle for all of the troubles right? From other posts I've read, it seems that enough complaining and they might extend your warranty or buy back the vehicle, but only after difficultly in fighting for it. The vehicle sounds like it experienced a severe binding of the front end, some sort of differential lockup or transfer case problem (those have a central differential, I believe.) Either way, something froze up and either some seal blew or you busted a case and fluid went everywhere, which would have burnt up the hypoid gears enclosed. I would make sure, in the least, that I have a rental car paid for by them. Hope it works out for you. I think the Durango's are very nice looking, BUT I think that they still need the many bugs worked o;ut of them to be considered one of the best sport ute's out there. Good luck.
  • fraudfighterfraudfighter Member Posts: 9
    Sherrie:

You don't have to have an accident to prove there is a problem. Get rid of it. Check your state's lemon law - check the web for a lemon law lawyer in your area. The brake failure alone is enough to warrant buy back. I am going through my own battle with Infiniti on same issue.

Good luck
  • piadillapiadilla Member Posts: 4
    Last week I tarded in my 1999 Durango and I've never been happier in my life. I now have a car that doesn't clunk when I put it in reverse and I don't really miss that thumping noise caused by the uneven tire wear ( even though rotated ). The Durango is a sharp looking auto, but like most sport utes, it is over priced and of questionalbe quality. I don't miss this car and I don't miss the frequent stops at the gas station.
  • prov1632prov1632 Member Posts: 10
    My close friend has loud wind noise in his 2000 Durango at highway speed. It is coming from the windshield/front of vehicle area. It gets so loud especially during a windy day that it will drown out the radio. So far, the dealer has been unable to deal with it. Anyone else have this problem and have a fix?
  • greersmithgreersmith Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 4.7l '00 Durango with 11,000 miles on it and am considering trading for the 5.9l '99 or 5.9l '00 with the awd feature. I currently don't have that option. From what I can tell the 4.7l gets no better mileage and is less powerful. I also would like the awd feature being that I do a lot of snow and rain driving. Any comments?

Does anyone know about the rattles and squeaks with the 2000 and are they present in the 99's as well? I have a very annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the front end and a distinct rattle coming from the rear-end especially when driving down hill over subtle bumps. Does anyone know how this can be fixed? I have taken it to two different dealers and they can't seem to figure it out.

Sorry everyone this is a long one. Two other things.

I had the back door lock problem and took it to the dealer. They fixed it no problem.

After running my Durango for approx 2 hours or so with the a/c on, on a couple of different occasions last summer it spilled out anti-freeze after parking the car. I was not towing nor was it extremely hot out. Any ideas/common stories?

Is it the 4.7l that has had the problems with seizing up at 25k miles (I need help with my metric conversions)?

Thanks
  • greersmithgreersmith Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 4.7l '00 Durango with 11,000 miles on it and am considering trading for the 5.9l '99 or 5.9l '00 with the awd feature. I currently don't have that option. From what I can tell the 4.7l gets no better mileage and is less powerful. I also would like the awd feature being that I do a lot of snow and rain driving. Any comments?

Does anyone know about the rattles and squeaks with the 2000 and are they present in the 99's as well? I have a very annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the front end and a distinct rattle coming from the rear-end especially when driving down hill over subtle bumps. Does anyone know how this can be fixed? I have taken it to two different dealers and they can't seem to figure it out.

Sorry everyone this is a long one. Two other things.

I had the back door lock problem and took it to the dealer. They fixed it no problem.

After running my Durango for approx 2 hours or so with the a/c on, on a couple of different occasions last summer it spilled out anti-freeze after parking the car. I was not towing nor was it extremely hot out. Any ideas/common stories?

Is it the 4.7l that has had the problems with seizing up at 25k miles (I need help with my metric conversions)?

Thanks
  • happywmine1happywmine1 Member Posts: 1
    first off, sludge is a by product of ANY type of motor oil, synthetics generally tend not to produce as much, but at higher temps they will "sludge up". The primary cause is using cheap gas station type oil, different brands of oil each oil change, or topping off with a "gas station" brand. Typically the "pennsylvania crude" based oils tend to "sludge up" easier due to the high parafin content. If you use a semi synthetic oil such as Castrol, or Vavloline, you will not get sludge biuld up. I agree with the one posted note about heat and temp. This will cause any oil to "sludge up" the durango with the 4.7 liter engine by the way has 5 more horsepower than the 318, and 5 less lb/ft of torque with a much steeper torque curve. It is more efficient due to the power curve generated by the shorter stroke. It is a "bullet proof" engine. As far as any recasting of the old 318...never happened, its the same engine that they put in the 71's. the only difference is in the heads, which by the way contain the oil drain back ports. Regarding any type of recalls, or class action suites...again, never gonna happen...Everyone gets a lemon now and then. And believe me out of 200,000 durangos purchased in the past 18 months, if only 20 people claim to have a "lemon" , I hate to say it but those are good odds and you are only going to get a snub from DC....sorry to pop your balloons boys, but hey, someone has to be happy...right??? c ya...
  • tallensrtallensr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your post -- you make some good points and I appreciate the info about the heads. But my question is this: I followed the rules set out by Chrysler -- I changed my oil every 3-4K when the Warranty AND the Owner's Manual state that I have to change it at least every 7K. My first "check up" was not due until 30K. I used high-quality synthetic oil and had the service done at a Nationwide Chain. So how is any of this my fault? How can they NOT pay for the work under warranty? I do not know how the sludge got there, and neither do they. But is the reason enough to blame it on ME if I fulfilled MY RESPONSIBILITIES for maintenance?
  • eklotzeklotz Member Posts: 1
    In response to #68 regarding Bad Front End and Hatch Lock problems. I can't comment on the front-end problems, but I had to take my '99 Durango in to the dealer (Billion Chrysler - Bozeman Montana) several times before they finally conceded that the locking mechanism was faulty and replaced it. (They called it a "cylinder") Haven't had a problem with it since.

However, (there's always an "however" isn't there) I have a problem with the air conditioner. When on the highway, the fan cuts out while going uphill. (I have the 5.9 liter engine, so there shouldn't be a problem) Also, the A/C can't keep up with 90+ degree weather. The dealer has looked at it several times and insists that it is operating normally. "Plenty cold when we checked it". Of course that was during 70 degree weather. The Service Manager told me that the fan will cut out when the engine is under load. Maybe so, but why does it blow hot air when I go uphill? Anybody?
  • lifthimup1lifthimup1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Durango SLT W/318 that just went over 40,000 miles on it transmission blow out. This vehicle has not been abused nor has it even seen off-roading. It has always been well maintained w/synthetics, maintenance etc. I enjoyed my Durango so much that I purchased a Dakota 5.9 R/T the same color, but that's another story with it's transmission that whines when you place it in reverse, and I was told by the dealer that it was all in my mind. I really liked the way the Chrysler dealers treat you every time you come in for service, etc. but now I'm told since this vehicle is out of warranty, (EVEN THOUGH IT IS ONLY 2 YRS. OLD!), I might be coming out of my pocket for this mess. Could anybody tell me what's up with these Chrysler transmissions or tell me what steps I need to take, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • silverzurfersilverzurfer Member Posts: 4
    I just took my Durango back to the dealer complaining about reduced performance & engine noise. It's 3500 miles out of warranty. I was asked to (2) things when first called. Authorization to "teardown" the engine & a complete invoice of oil changes. Obviously, if you're asking for oil change records...you already suspect what the problem is...sludge. After giving permission for the teardown, I was called back w/ the same diagnosis that I gave them when I bought the vehicle in...."You need a new engine because your bearing is gone. We found sludge around the oil pump which caused the engine to run hot. You will not be considered for any assistance." Once finding sludge, they no longer care to see oil change records. I also had it taken in w/ 2500 miles for transmission problems. The overdrive bearing was gone. It took me insisting to (3) different technicians that something was wrong before I got any assistance.
  • roadrascalroadrascal Member Posts: 35
    All high quality petroleum motor oils are made from paraffinic base oils. In spite of its name, "paraffin" does not mean candle wax. The stability of paraffin molecules makes paraffinic base oils more resistant to the chemical changes that can take place in an engine than other types of base oils. That means less sludge, varnish and corrosive wear with a high quality paraffinic base motor oil.
  • wilbur_nwilbur_n Member Posts: 1
    My '98 4x4 with the 318 motor has developed an annoying shifting habit. When I'm under way at highway speeds and I need to accelerate to merge, etc., the tranny kicks down and immediately hits the rev limiter and the truck pretty much quits until it shifts back up. There is also a clicking noise as I accelerate to speed. I thought for a while the engine was "knocking" but I've had that happen in other cars and this doesn't really sound like that. It almost has an electrical switching sound.

Anyone else having these symptons?
  • chief142chief142 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2000 Durango and above 30 MPH the noise is unbearable comming from the windshield only have 147 miles on it. went back to dealer they said they will call Chrysler for a fix. HELP
    Wind noise is an inherent design of the Durango.
    Several of the Road Tests have mentioned it. I don't think there'll be much done to remedy that problem.If you think that's noisy...try having you front windows rolled up and your back windows rolled down about 5 inches.
  • tmartino1tmartino1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Durango that has 52,000 miles on it and I have had oil sludge since I own the vehicle. I talked to the dealership and they wanted my records of oil changes, but told me I had to pay to have the engine torn down because it had sludge in the oil which is cause from lack of oil changes. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles with a good oil and knew filter. I know that the sludge is not good for the engine so I am hoping that it doesn't give me any problems until I can get trade it off. I love the Durango but I wish I didn't have to worry about the oil sludge. I had a 93 Ram Charger with a 318 engine and never had this problem with oil sludge even if I missed the 3000 mile intervals.
    My Durango 318 also needs a new engine because of sludge. Just under 40k miles (about 20 months old). Most people that I have told about my situation smirk at me with the similar quote "It's your own fault. What are you doing using Quaker State".
    Something I've learned for the future. When I called the Chrysler dealership ,w/ the Quaker State Quick Oil change bay, for a printout of receipts...they had it on the computer that I had taken my truck in for oil changes for the 2 consecutive months after I bought my truck (not including the 1'st free one I had done at the Dodge dealership. Meaning I had 3 oil changes within the first 3 months. At one instance, (2) oil changes 12 days apart. They claim that a computer reads your license plate when the vehicle is driven into the "bay". Check your receipt for correctness on the day you have the oil changed....so even if you misplace it....at least you'll know that you will get a correct breakdown from the computer.
  • cajndavecajndave Member Posts: 12
    Most of the time oil sludge can be traced to an oil temp problem. Other causes can be bad piston ring seating, bad valve guide seals and crankcase ventalation or any combination of the above.
  • 00durangoblues00durangoblues Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Durango top of the line leather 5.9 and all. I took it to the dealer numerous times for the front brakes locking up when the roads are wet and snow covered just trying to slow down they immediately lock up. The dealer says there's nothing wrong it works just fine. I also showed the right front rotor has a grove in it. The mechanic couldn't see it I guess Your damned if you do damned if you don't. Then I went back this time with different tires on the dealer now says they can't evens look at it cause it does not have the factory tires on it. I said I figured what's the next excuse. My oil pressure drops when at idle is this normal. I am concerned about the sludge problems that I have been reading in here. I use Mobil 1 in my Durango and change apron. every 3000 miles give or take but if over its only 100 miles or so. I complained about my air conditioning too not cooling the inside down Dealer says works fine for them. I have it under a lease and my understanding its difficult to prove a lemon. The gas mileage that doesn't bother me as the mileage increases and these intimidating problems that I think Dodge should look into are still hanging around. Any Suggestions Comments ???
  • pugs71pugs71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 durango with 21,000 miles it is in the shop and i was told there is sludge in the engine and they will not cover it under warranty because lack of oil changes i have changed my oil at least 7 times i only had a recipt for the last one though since my boyfriend has changed it before that i gave them oil reciptds from him buying oil not good enough. I knew they were wrong so I contacted Chrysler they came down to have oil sample taken meanwhile I have no vehicle for a week. while I was there there was another durango there same problem 40,000 miles neede new engine got suspicious after investing i see there is lots of problems with oil sludge I would like to know about them please email me I am contacting a news station pugs71@yahoo.com Thanks
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    Every car manufacture has a lemon once in a while
  • durangobobdurangobob Member Posts: 1
    Bought this vehicle just after Thanksgiving and took back to the dealer within a few days because the engine would stall, more often than not, upon coming to a stop. I could see the IRPM's drop to below 500...the engine would shudder and stop. In addition when the vehicle was put in gear nothing happened for a few seconds (a few seconds can be a long time when you're pressing on the accellerater and expect to be backing out of the garage). The nothingness would also happen if you sat with the engine running while you wait for the kids to get in the car after dancing lessons. The dealer adjusted the AIM (automatic idle motor) and sent me home. The problem continued and the tech wizards in detroit were brought in. Changed the transmission selonoid package and sent me home. The problems were still there. To make a long story a little shorter, the techs wanted to do everything short of installing a new trans. They changed filters in the trans, ran a lot of tests and made verious adjustments. Finally they decided on reprograming the computer to reset the minimum idle speed. As the mechanic was pulling out of the shop for a test drive, the trans failed. It went into "limp mode." That means it will not go any faster that 40 mph. Now they are finally going the put in a new trans next week. All in all, the dealers has had the vehicle more than I have.
  • darkridersdarkriders Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 loaded D 4x4 that I bought in June that has the wind noise from the front. Mine seems to get better when I adjust the controls on the AC... I have 13k miles on mine with no other issues and still love it... I am sorry for the people that have had major issues with Dodge but if you look through other Manufacturer forums you will find similar stories. I can tell one personally regarding my Mitsu 3000gt VR4(another time) :)
    The bitterness and frustration people experience with their dealerships will hopefully get better as Businesses start to realize that focusing on customer service and support are a great way to generate repeat and referral business.. If the dealership would have stepped up and assumed responsibility for these recurring issues maybe some the posts would be on a more positive note..
    Everybody have a great 2001 and keep on posting!
  • jmarklejmarkle Member Posts: 1
    WE LEASED A 2000 DURANGO IN AUGUST OF 2000. THE FIRST DAY WE HAD WE HAD TROUBLE. THE POWER LOCKS WOULD NOT STAY LOCKED, THE AIR CONDITIONING WAS NOT COLD IT WOULD ONLY BLOW WARM AIR, THE TRANSITION SHIFTS HARD INTO SECOND GEAR MAKING YOU FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE A CASE OF WHIPLASH, BUT THE BEST ONE IS THAT WHILE DRIVING IN PENNSYLVANIA THE CAR ALARM WENT OFF AND THE CAR STOPPED RUNNING. THE CAR HAS BEEN IN PA SINCE SEPTEMBER. EVERY TIME WE PICK IT UP IT DIES. CURRENTLY WE HAVE BEEN WITHOUT THE CAR FOR 2 MONTHS. STICKER PRICE WAS WAY OVER $35,000.00 DAIMLER CHRYSLER SAYS THERE IS NO PROBLEM. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    My 2000 D has been great so far, 6100 miles on him. My problem is the wind noise and I have an appointment tomorrow for it.

I suggest phoning Chrysler and putting in a complaint. Then make the request for the Chrysler field rep to review your problem. If you can convince them, they can make the dealer do something. Good luck.
  • jalynkjalynk Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading this forum and have seen several requests/complaints on Durango front windshield wind noise. Was hoping someone had a solution at this time. Am considering taking back to dealer (again) to see if problem can be rectified. Anyone have any success in fixing the problem? Please respond. Thanks
  • deutsch3deutsch3 Member Posts: 4
    pugs71@yahoo.com
    Add me to your list. 98 Durango, 65,000 miles. Driving back to Charleston, SC from Atlanta on Saturday morning, New Years Eve weekend. 20 miles out of Atlanta my "check gauge" light came on and then suddenly off. This happened several times within the next few minutes. When the light came on I noticed that the oil pressure gauge would go down and then just as suddenly back up and light would go off. I felt confident my oil was fine since it had been changed recently and I had checked it that morning before beginning my trip.

However, I quickly used my cell phone to call my local dealer. The response was that it could be a faulty gauge and that if I was not hearing any engine noise I was probably Ok. He added that they would be open the Tuesday after new years and that I should bring it in then (if I was lucky enough to make it back).

Less than a minute after hanging up the phone I heard some pinging. Believe it or not as I was approaching the next exit to get off of I-20 out of Atlanta I saw a Dodge dealer. As I was exiting and reducing speed the noise became louder and louder. I pulled into the dealers service lot 10 minutes before they closed. Bad news, he immediately said I probably would need a new engine. Good news, they had one rental so I could get my family home. Bad news, with the rebuilt engine and rental car (for almost a month), it set me back $6,800.

I have had many vehicles, and most of them I have put a lot of mileage on. I had them serviced and I have never had this kind of a major problem. I felt a bit held hostage since I was out of town and out of warranty. I just thought my luck had run out, and it was my turn to pay out. However, after doing some research and reading I think there may be more to this.

A business associate that had been in the auto parts manufacturing business told me to find out who the regional Dodge factory rep is and contact him/her. The point being is that most people (including me) do not have $5,000. to $7,000. sitting around to fix a vehicle that failed way before its time. So if hell is raised with the right people, many times they might meet you half way on the cost. Don't know if it will work but my fight begins tomorrow.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.
    P.S.and FYI Before returning the rental car I had it washed in and out. In return, after spending $6,800 at the dealer I received my red Durango back with a months worth of dust and dirt on it. Now that is customer service.
  • esantanaesantana Member Posts: 1
    My '98's transmission has changed it's shifting pattern. Specially when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It takes a longer time now to change. has anyone had this problem and what did it take to correct it? The dealer's service department says they don't know what is wrong and that I need to rebuild the tarns.
  • readytobuy1readytobuy1 Member Posts: 41
    Only in your subject line did you mention sludge. Did you change your oil as specified by the owners manual? If so, what was the mileage intervals? Did you tow/haul or do a lot of short distance or off-road driving? Did you use dino or synthetic oil? Where were the oil changes done, dealer or other? Do you have receipts? Why did they say you were responsible for the repairs/was it under warranty?
    i think the common denominator with sludge, at least from Dodge's viewpoint, is that sludge is caused from neglect. I ask these questions to see if they right?
  • maryg2maryg2 Member Posts: 33
    I was just reading through some of the topics and included this one because I like the looks of the Durango. (BTW, I am a short woman who just bought her fifth Accord, so was not intending to buy one.) But this is one of the most depressing sites I have looked at. I can't believe Dodge is still in business. I remember having a problem-plagued Pontiac in the early 70's, then finally discovering Japanese-made cars (got one of the first Datsun B-210's). People loved them because they didn't break down every other week. I guess American auto makers just get darn sloppy, and Union workers (who made great money thirty years ago compared to others) aren't motivated to give it their best. I've had friends with nightmare American cars and have just stayed with my Hondas. You guys really have my sympathy and my empathetic outrage.
  • borage3borage3 Member Posts: 1
    at least not yet I am happy to say. Actually bought in 98, has 35k miles and no problems yet. I did notice the temp was running high and took it in, they changed the thermostat gasket and that took care of it.

Unfortunately, I think that when 1000s of individual cars are put out some are bound to have problems, my sympathy to those of you that had problems.

I personally have owned foreign and domestic and have never had one that did not need some sort of repair. Many of the beloved "foreign" cars are actually made here as well, check out the Edmunds Honda info, your precious Accord is made in Ohio.
  • maryg2maryg2 Member Posts: 33
    A propos of nothing, I know that most Accords are made in Marysville, but the workers are not unionized, and the engineering is still done in Japan. Look at the quality of materials in a Honda and then compare them to the materials in a Ford. Check out the maintenance sites here on Edmunds for both. But back to the Durango--you get a sense of what people are experiencing with these cars, and it seems the Durango has more than its share of lemons. Like if you read the VW sites, you'll see that while some folks love their Jettas and Passats, many are experiencing multiple problems, so reliability is evidently an issue. I mentioned this to a good friend who loves her Jetta, and she said, "Yes, I was lucky. My neighbor bought one a month after I did, and she has had nothing but serious problems with hers." So you have to go with the odds. If a brand has a lot of lemons, you're more likely to get one. And I hope you have many safe and happy years in your Durango. My brother in law drives a Dodge Ram and has had great luck with it. Nobody can predict, but the bad luck is expensive.
  • needmoreroomneedmoreroom Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, hoping you can help me. After reading some of your posts, I'M TERRIFIED! I have always wanted a Durango, more so for the looks and the convienence of the 3rd seat. I have 4 boys and a dog and need the space (well 2 of the boys live with their mother). I currently have a Dodge Intrepid. It for the most part has been a great car. Did have to have the transmission replaced but that was the only major thing. It is going on 5 years old. Other than that I've had in the last year had the check engine light come on only to find out it was an oxygen sensor. As for oil, I use Mobil 1 synthetic so oil sludge has never been a problem. Again, I'm talking about my Intrepid as overall a Chrysler product. I have in the past owned all GM Motors vehicles and have been very disgusted. I SWORE I'd always buy and Chrysler product in the future. Ok, so now I'm in the market to buy a bigger vehicle. I have been looking at the Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban, and the Durango. I drove the Durango today and love it. It's a 2001. I'm not sure I like the way the 3rd seat basically sits on the floorboard but for the most part, I won't need it unless I have my stepboys. Some of you mentioned windshield noise. Now, that is one thing I hate about my Intrepid, it's very noisy inside...is that what you are talking about? After reading all you posts, I'm VERY nervous and wondering if it will be worth my trouble to go check more into it. The one I'm looking into is a 2001, SLT package and he said he'll sell it $500 over invoice (should I believe this?) at $28,327. Just really wondering if I should go with this vehicle now. Also, can anyone tell me how they hold up in value come trade in? Would appreciate ANY information...especially on the newer models. I know they only came out in 97 so maybe (hoping) they've gotten all the kinks worked out!
  • bowhuntwi2bowhuntwi2 Member Posts: 80
    I have read the horror stories, lemons aren't just restricted to one manufacturer, they all have them. I had real good luck with my 98 Durango, I had no more problems then normal, plus with it being loaded to have more things go wrong. I bought an extended warranty, this paid for it self when the upper & lower control arms decided to go out at 58000 miles. I traded mine at 61000 miles, mainly because I was nearing the end of my warranty and the Dodge Durango has a few options right now on rebates and financing.
    I looked around compared and settled on another Durango. I wanted the 3rd seat option and didn't want to go to a full size suv. So far we are very happy with 2001, plus I also bought an extended warranty for this one too for 5/100000 mi. and 0 deductable if you bring back to the selling dealer
    and if taken to a differant dealer, it would be a $50 deductable. My 98 was a 4wd, Slt Plus, my 01 has basically everything except the R/T package & the 5.9. Wish you all the best of luck with your durangos.
  • bridgetsbridgets Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 SLT 5.2 4x4. I would really appreciate any responses. My 1999 Forest Green "D" was hurt yesterday morning at 3:40 am on my way to work. I was going down a steep dry hill (one hill I travel everyday), the road was dry and when I went to turn right on the street close near the bottom of it...STEERING WHEEL WOULDN'T BUDGE! And sickening to say, my Beautiful Durango ends up in a ditch hitting a very large boulder. Bye Bye to my nerf safari bar and hella black magic fog lights, not to mention the front end. This Durango is my baby...gots the graphics, sidebars etc. If it were a child, this child would be considered spoiled rotten. Since I was going down a hill, I guess I panicked alittle bit and stepped on the brakes to avoid the ditch. The brakes locked and took me straight into the ditch. Heck, we took pictures and everything....the skid marks are long and straight. I had my AAA tow her into the Dodge Dealer from the scene. When I called the dealer to let them know what happened, I got the feeling they are not going to take blame for this accident.
    Unfortunately, my "D" has had many, many problems. Engine kept overheating and on the 4th visit to the dealer; had the head, cylinder and gasket replaced from an internal leak, also has spark plugs rewired, power window motor replaced, fog lamp replaced d/t moisture inside the lens, and annoying and continuing rattle in the upper right corner of the dashboard, she shifts hard, runs high rpms and has loose seats. But I was a die heart for my "D". Well, now i'm scared....big time of her! Don't know what happened to the steering as to why she wouldn't turn so I am asking the Durango owners today for help. And I hope to God this does not happen to someone else. One thing more to add is that I have been having trouble with the steering since last march. When I first start her up in the morning or after she sits for a few hours the steering is "hard" to turn...kinda have to force it (feels like manual steering instead of power steering) and it will turn but with alot of effort on my part. After a few miles she steers just fine. Noticed it getting worse lately and taking longer to "warm" up. Took her into the dealer back in March last yr and they were unable to "duplicate the problem". I have continued complaining about the steering and the "rattle" but they can't seem to find anything wrong. The steering does not do this in warm weather and also is unpredictable when it does descide to go stiff".
    I have had more things go wrong with my durango its unbeliveable. I know the repair guys by their first name. I did attempt to "lemon" my Durnago, but lost is arbitration last august. My problem then was, she kept overheating. On the 4th visit to the dealer on that problem, she was fixed! Major engine repair....and i payed how much for this durango??? I service my durango every 3000 miles and i have the 75,000 mile extended warrenty...one postive note! My durango sure has been in the repair shop more than the average. Have to admit that the service department has been very kind and patient with me, but i think things are about to change now that i could have been killed with this last complaint.
    Anyone out there have problems with their steering?????
    I'll let you know what Dodge says.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    From what you posted re the skid marks the front brakes were locked. There isn't a vehicle in the world that will steer with the wheels locked up. I would suggest that you were going too fast (the skid marks were long...), locked the brakes up (...and straight), and your vehicle obeyed the laws of inertia and gravity.
This discussion has been closed.