Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What do you like about hatchbacks?

Comments

• perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    Currently I drive a 2001 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr hatchback and so-far think the car is great ... It's too bad that most of the major manufacturers have given up on the Hatch (as well as the small Wagon) in North America. These types are really more practical than the typical sedan or coupe. I'm kinda intrigued that Europeans still prefer hatches & small wagons to sedans (saloons in the U.K.) & coupes whil in North America it's the other way 'round? Why's that?
    Once slept in the back of a Honda CRX I once owned, while waiting for a ferry in Nova Scotia ... just curled up back there & went right to sleep!
  • melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    I think a lot of popularity of hatch backs in Europe is due to the cost of fuel in Europe. The average consumer cannot afford to drive the gas guzzling machines we Americans love. Also, the roads and parking structures in general cannot accommodate the Subs and other large cars found here in America.
  • getjesusnowgetjesusnow Member Posts: 26
    The residents of the U.S. are very fortunate to pay less than and around $2.00/gallon of gas. The recent steady rise in prices is a pain in the rear, yet we are not paying in excess of $5.00/gallon (like the residents do in France).

It will be interesting to see if the slowing of the American economy, along with the slowing economy in Tokyo, will have an overall slowing effect on the world's economy as a whole. U.S. & Tokyo are the largest capital generating economies in the world.

As these 2 economies grow or slow, the rest of the world seems to respond the same. We'll see where the price of gas in the U.S. will be in 6-12 months.
  • perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    Hard to say what a slowing U.S. (& consequently Global) economy will do to oil/gasoline prices. A slower economy will generally mean less disposable income ... people will drive less (i.e. spend less on fuel) and/or turn to smaller more fuel efficient cars. OPEC may keep world oil prices from rising further in a slower Global economy in order to put less pressure on drivers who want to cut back on their fuel consumption, with the hope of maintaining a relatively high level of oil revenue for OPEC members. On the other hand, they may do the opposite ... keep oil prices on the rise as consumption drops due to a slowing Global economy (therby slowing it further), in order to maintain their current level of profit. Given OPEC's track record, I'd say the latter scenario is the more likely.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    from Edmunds.com's News section, that I thought some of you might appreciate: Return of the Pocket Rockets by Brent Romans. Note that 3 out of 5 of the "pocket rockets" mentioned here are also hatchbacks! Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• bcloughbclough Member Posts: 97
    I have a Toyota Celica, not a roomy car. Nevertheless I was able to load it with a yard sale's worth of toys and clothing, by flipping the back seats down. It is astonishing how much you can cram in there! The combination of practicality and cuteness is irresistible for me.

Brenda
    My previous hatchback ownership, and a moving experience, also proved this point to me. I was able to move almost all my stuff, including a dining table/four chairs, sofa, bed, and more... from one apt to another in a small Dodge Colt hatchback. I was amazing at what I was able to fit into that car... all because of the hatchback!

Thanks for your message. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    The best thing about my 2001 Subaru Forester I is the hatch design. I owned two pick-ups previously, for field work purposes in the American South west and in Northern Mexico (I'm a geographer). The problem with the pick-ups was having to buy a camper top for the pick-up bed: any sensitive equipment or soil/vegetation samples rolled around a lot. Also, the security system for the pick-up wasn't wired to the camper top, so some things were frequently stolen in Mexico (and in Phoenix!).

Now, I can drop the back seats to lie flat, creating a friction-rich carpeted surface to keep all my equipment motionless during travel, even over rough road surfaces. If I have less equipment, I can shove it to one side and sleep in the back. And all of my "stuff" is now protected by the security system on the car. Cargo covers for the hatch are also useful for keeping nosey people from seeing what's in the rear. Enjoy your hatches!

perrito
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    A wagon is simply a subset of hatchbacks. I mean what exactly makes a wagon distinct from a hatchback? Subaru calls the Impreza 5 door a Wagon in the American Market and a Hatchback in other markets. Mazda is selling the Protege 5 door while trying to avoid either Hatchback or Wagon terminalogy though it decidedly looks like a Wagon. I think the line between them is too fuzzy to complain too much about a Wagon getting occasionally mentioned in this forum.
  • mikecordellmikecordell Member Posts: 3
    by far the best thing about hatchbacks for me is the handling. I had a daewoo nubira(4 door), jeep comanche(small truck), and a mazda 323(4 door) before I got my new Ford Focus, and none of the above handled half as well as the focus hatchback, I love the way the weight of the body is entirely contained within the wheelbase of the car, very nice, and the light weight, 2500, not bad...there's nothing like tossing my focus at 40mph into a 90 degree corner and scaring the bejeezus out of everyone around...
  • leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    I think of hatchbacks as a subset of station wagons. A hatchback, to me, is a compact station wagon. I also think SUVs as a tall wagons on steroids ;)

Leo
  • givthedrumasumgivthedrumasum Member Posts: 1
    Whatever happened to the spread-out hatchbacks like the Honda Accord and the Mitsubishi Cordia? I had an '88 Cordia which was perfect for my 5-piece drumset, cymbals and hardware. I don't think i could fit this stuff in a VW Golf or a Civic hatch. The Ford Probe looks big, but I don't like Fords. I really dont want to get a truck, wagon, SUV or van. Any drummers out there have any suggestions?
    "... any suggestions?"

Have you considered the PT Cruiser? Also, if you can wait for the upcoming Pontiac Vibe and/or Toyota Matrix to arrive, you might find enough room in one of those for your drums.

For more ideas, you may want to check out our Which 5 door hatchback discussion. Use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your question. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• maniar98maniar98 Member Posts: 2
    The original Peugeot 205 is the most exhilirating car I have driven, to date. (and it was not even the legendary Peugeot 205GTI !)

Peugeot does not sell cars in the U.S.

But here is a review of the Peugeot 206GTI:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/9120/html/Peugeot1.htm#206%20GTi

• hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    Most of the Hatchbacks in the older type of car more provided with sport look and ride and especially only 2/3 doors. I used to have the 1990 Celica GT top-model Hatchback and I loved to it very much until my younger sister take over; the car was rected; but I still love the car very much. However, I have family now-a-day and require more into and SUV but SUV drive to work is not worth it; So I decided to keep my Hyundai Santa Fe top-model for weekend and long trip ride...I am planning to go back to my love one (hatchbacks) and forwarding looking at the Hyundai Elantra GT because it does offer more options with price and warranty compare to other manufactures.

Term of my Hatchbacks (most of the car now-a-day):
    1. Sport Engine, Look, Ride (but sedan feeling)
    2. Available 4/5 Doors (work just like a family car)
    3. Save Gas (good gas mileage *better* compare to those SUV and Family car)
    4. Utilites storage (fold rear seats, similar to SUV)
    5. Some do have roof rack (another utility storage, also similar to SUV)

***So to speak; the car have speed like a sport car but then you have the sedan ride feeling plus the ability to do light/small Utilities as well***

People tend to change style very often but definitely my term of Hatchbacks will surely fit most people ride and need....
  • lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    they never look out of style.Mine is 14 years old and still looks sharp.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I've seen some interesting stories about the different kinds of things people have been able to transport in their hatchbacks in many of the discussions here. So I thought this subject might make for an interesting discussion by itself. Anyone game?

What's the most stuff, or the largest thing, you've ever transported in your hatchback? Got an interesting story to share? Also, I'm sure many would appreciate knowing what make, model, and year of the hatchback.... Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    My 00 Civic HB is great, holds two bicycles, gear & people, its usual task. The fact that it gets over 35 MPG and cost 12 grand brand spanking new is icing on the cake. I kinda feel sorry for people that have spent 30 grand for a land barge (aka SUV) and use it as a grocery getter, but hey they sure look cool (not). rfruth in Houston
  • mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53
    I once moved my washer and dryer (separately, of course!) in the back of my Festiva. I folded the rear seat over and it fit nicely, except not being able to close the hatch. Surprised the he!! out of me.
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    I considered myself a demigod of packing after I managed to get the following into the hatch of my 2002 Mazda Protege5 without removing the cargo cover: a midtower computer case, a 17" computer monitor, an Aiwa stereo shelf system consisting of a receiver/CD changer unit, two bookshelf speakers, and a large subwoofer, an inkjet computer printer, a small box containing computer accessories (mouse, keyboard, software, etc.), a smallish plastic toolbox, two pairs of shoes, a pair of rollerblades, and most of my bedding (to protect the electronics).

Keep in mind these are all fairly good sized items and that I also have a Bazooka tube-style subwoofer mounted in my hatch area that I had to work around. I fit all this stuff in under the cargo cover so none of it could be seen with the hatch closed (good for security!). This was during a long trip out to school, over 1500 miles, so I only get one shot at hauling my belongings out there and anything I may forget, I live without. The rest of my worldly posessions were stored like so: my clothing in a soft, zippered carrier strapped to the roof rack, a bankers box filled with various items in the back seat, and a few other assorted items like a garbage can and lamp that wouldn't fit in the box or hatch were laid in the back seat. My previous vehicle was a Ford Ranger with a camper shell over the bed and I was frankly amazed that I fit all the same stuff into my Protege5 with room to spare. Still wish I had a picture to prove it...
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I managed to get a treadmill (new in box) into my 2001 Firebird. I couldn't shut the hatch because the box was too big, and I still wonder how the heck those loading guys managed to get the box in the car without scratching the car or the interior.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I got one new in the box in my '95 Geo Metro, also with the hatch open. It's funny but my Metro has about the same passenger and cargo room as my friends' Camaro Z28 -- his engine is 5.7 times bigger of course ;-)
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You asked: "does it count if you leave the hatch open?"

I'd say it definitely counts! That's one of the great advantages to having a hatchback, imo. Thanks for sharing your story. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Because of the design of hatchbacks, leaving the hatch open is begging for trouble. It's an open invitation for exhaust fumes to be sucked into the passenger compartment.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Leaving the hatch open doesn't work well in my Geo Metro. Even with the windows open it is not fun. Long station wagons seem to work much better.
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    Well I don't think the Exhaust problem is that bad. Particularly considering the fact that one would be doing it only on an occasional basis (If you need to do it on a regular basis you probably should buy a pickup truck). If you open your windows at the same time as the hatch, air flow should keep most of the exhaust out and what little that does get in will almost certainly not reach a harmful concentration.
    I have no problems getting $200 worth of stuff from Price Club into the back of my Celica. You know -- case lots of toilet paper, fourpacks of canned tomatoes, cartons of cola.

Brenda
  • rwigrwig Member Posts: 3
    Can you go camping, take all your gear and sleep in it? Been thinking I probably need a van but am open minded.
  • n8magicn8magic Member Posts: 15
    Back when I worked in a department store selling appliances and electronics, I had a customer who needed her dryer toute suite because she had small children and was pretty much constantly doing laundry.

I delivered her new gas dryer IN THE BOX in the back of my 1989 Hyundai Excel. I've been hooked on hatchbacks ever since. :D
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    Back in '90 I ordered a 12 drawer pedestal for my waterbed from a local store. They called me when it came in. I removed the back seat of my Festiva (just 4 bolts) and headed on down to the store. The sales guy at the counter said to pull my truck around back to the loading dock. You should have seen his eyes when he saw my little car! The pedestal was in 4 cartons, each about 16" x 20" x 6' long.

I convinced the guy to let me try and stuff them in there and lo and behold, they fit. They didn't even stick out of the back all that far. The sales guy was pretty impressed!
    Went to Price Club again and this time squeezed over $400 worth of stuff into a Toyota Celica. I think we're about at capacity, however, with two people. The car was brim-full. If I could ditch my passenger I could probably get in more.

Brenda
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    my first car, a 1977 "champagne" edition VW Rabbit. Lasted 7 yrs... Beyond that, while not ostentatiously elegant or beautiful, most hatchbacks end up looking cute. Form follows function, IMO, & h-backs got that one down pat.
  • gitongiton Member Posts: 15
    I had to buy a replacement door.
    The door was 6 feet long, 3 feet wide.
    I had one passenger with me. Folded the left rear seat and front passenger seat down, the door went in fine, and my friend was able to sit behind me on the trip back, and the hatch was closed. This probably wouldn't have worked even in a large sedan with a cargo pass thru.

I have removed the rear seats and passenger seat during a move. The nice thing about cheaper cars is that the bolts are usually exposed and easy to find.
    10 minutes with a ratchet set, and the seats were removed. Tons of room.

The only negative about most hatchbacks is that they are very narrow, so a wide chest of drawers might fit in lengthwise, but not widthwise. Time to rent a pickup truck.

Someone asked about sleeping/camping in a hatchback. Maybe in a Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe as thier floors are truly flat. My Hyundai Accent's floor is far from flat, as are most other HBs I have seen.
  • cnj628cnj628 Member Posts: 1
    one day at work i went out lunchtime to look at furniture, and bought a large club chair and large ottoman. it took a couple tries but i managed to stuff them both into my 94 dodge shadow es hatchback then i went back to work. since the hatch was open i parked backed up to a tree so no one would try to steal the chair while i was at work. this car has also hauled a ton of antiques over the years - everything from rocking chairs to a large icebox.
  • integraguy16integraguy16 Member Posts: 28
    bodies in my hatch ('94 GSR Integra). LOL
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Yes, it's scary. 2001 Integra LS with rear seats folded down... hey, be careful with that box, that's my computer equipment!!! No, the stereo goes in the other corner...
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    In 1984 I bought my first hatchback, a new Honda CRX. Wore it out, bought another CRX a few years later. Next was a Mustang LX 5-liter hatchback, followed by a Firebird Formula, which I just sold, having replaced it with a new Z28. If you want a fast, fun, affordable car, but still need to carry serious stuff (like La-Z-Boy chairs) occasionally, a hatchback is the right choice.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I loaded a 27 inch TV in the box into the back of my celica, with plenty of room to spare. I then went grocery shopping, and shoved a half dozen bags in the back behind the TV. It has a lot of room, and I did not even tax it at all.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    for example
    Saab 9-3: Sedan with a hatch
    VW Golf/GTI: Hatch (not wagon cause its so short)
    Lexus IS SC, Matrix,Subaru Imreza wagon/Forester, Mazda protege 5: WAGON!!!
    Eclipse, Celica, RSX: Sport hatch/coupe
    Focus ZX5, wagon: WAGON
    Focus ZX3: hatch
    PT/GT cruiser: FAD wagon
    New beetle: FAD hatch
    MINI: hatch (ling)
    Cayenne,Tuareg,Excursion,Expedition,Navigator,Escalade(EXT), Suburban: Useless monster engined 4WD mommymobiles (seriously who needs a 50k+ leather lined posermobile that cannot go offroad because its too friggen big (with exception of the 4wd's from Audi AG)and even if they can go offroad have no lineage of proven ability)
    and have features that are for the american lazy person Ex: Expedition and its "power flip and fold 3rd row seat... (more on that later) and who the heck needs a Caddy Pickup truck? i've actually had the priveledge of laughing at a lady who had one... after she was out of sight of course that thing is hideous

most of the sales of thes trucks go to well off professionals who buy them for their wives to go grocery shopping, funny thing is they dont even know how to fold or remove the seats to maximize cargo capacity...(you would be amazed at how many people have these things and the most use they get outta them is loading them with stuff from Costco) most of the duties performed by these trucks can be accomplished by my GT...or a.. dare i say it.... MINIVAN
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Good job, that counts.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    All of these are "not at the same time", and hatch closed:

VW Scirocco:

Lawnmower
    600lbs stone
    half dozen 8ft long 2x4's

Saab 900:
    Snowblower
    ~5 full bags of leaves (the gazillion bushel sized bags)

'85 Porsche 911 (Ok, its not a hatch!):
    4 cases of wine

MB C230 Coupe:
    4 and a half cases of wine (without folding down the back seat).

-hh
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    held our new excercise bike (packed in the box of course). I was pretty surprised I can also tote 6-8 foot long boards in w/o even leaving the hatch open.
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    Mercedes A140 (rental car). This is a single load, without folding seats:

2 - suitcases (Ricksteves.com - 2600 inch^3 each)
    1 - medium sized daypack (2000 inch^3)
    1 - small sized daypack (1000 inch^3)
    1 - camera bag (a small one for me: ~900 inch^3)
    1 - half case of Mosel Wine

-hh
  • redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    Try cleaning the rear window in a 2dr.

My 2001 Civic coupe was a torture to clean. The film from the plastics off-gassing was very tough to clean. Summer washer fluid is best.

Hatchback is soooo much easier.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I have owned two hatchbacks. I had a 83 Camry LE 5-door in 94-96. Great snow car and great for hauling items.

I now own my second hatchback I got last November, a 91 Celica GT. Its amazing how much stuff this car will carry.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is surprisingly big under the hatch...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I adore my Celica. Once I crammed $600 worth of groceries and stuff from Costco into it.

Brenda
  • jimc93sijimc93si Member Posts: 34
    Every year I stuff a 8 to 10 foot Christmas tree in the back. Also, new TVs in boxes fit.
  • dq1dq1 Member Posts: 44
    when the struts that hold up the hatch suddenly don't work so well when a cold front comes through and the hatch comes down and hits me in the head :)~
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    You didn't mention what model year of Celica that was.
This discussion has been closed.