Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Integra

Comments

• alex17alex17 Member Posts: 35
    Just my little input.

1994 Acura Integra LS (hatchback)
    107,000 Miles and still going strong
    I average 31 miles/Gallon in combined driving

Will get another one in 4 years when this one has 200,000 miles.
  • hurtn4certnhurtn4certn Member Posts: 9
    Pete,
    Unbolt the door switch, spray a little WD-40 on the unit, especially the back side, then dry it off a little. Should be good as new, at least that worked on my 1992 GS.
  • darwindarwin Member Posts: 2
    I would like to get a used car and i am not sure what to get. I've read some of these responses and it sounds like integras are nice cars. If you have an opinion i would like to hear it.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Those door switches were exposed to the elements, that's the problem. Later models have a rubber boot covering them. Hurtn has good advice to fix it. It is simply a cheap metal plate that rusts. Easy to fix.

Darwin, the problem is that not too many people sell their Integras. They are hard to find, and you generally pay a premium. Which is why, if you find one you really like, I suggest you have a mechanic check it out. If you're gonna pay good money, you better get one that has been taken care of.

It is the funnest car on the planet. :)
  • pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    Has anyone heard about the new Integra for 2000? Is Acura going to update it or discontinue it or what? Any pictures anywhere?
  • aceroneacerone Member Posts: 12
  • hkottlerhkottler Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 Acura Integra LS about 10 days ago and I am totally in love with it. Even though it is the bottom of the line trim, manual, etc. it is definitely a step up from the Hondas and Toyotas I am used to. The buying experience was very good as I got it through Autobytel.com and their price was excellent (I checked with my credit union's car buying service to make sure). One question: when in 5th gear at 60 mph it seems to rev at 2800, without a free-wheeling feel. Is this normal? I keep looking for one more gear to go up to. It certainly has power, though. It needs a 6-speed transmission, maybe.
    I had the RS (the all time low-end model) and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it for 5 years. This is one car you can forgo all the features and truly enjoy the ride.

I think the gearing was perfect. It doensn't have mounds of torque to really use an extra gear, but can still accelerate rather nicely in 5th. Everything is relative. The 2800 rpm, although exerting much tire and engine noise, is a perfect cruising speed, I thought. Enjoy!
  • alex17alex17 Member Posts: 35
    hkottler:

Yeah, the engine does sound loud. That is the major complaint that most journalists have with the vehicle. But you'll grow to love that sound. I have 108,000 miles on our 1994 Integra LS and it is fantastic. Take that bad-boy around a few curves faster than you would in your previous vehicle. It will suprise you how well this car sticks to the road. The tires won;t even squeal. You need to keep that engine above 3000 rpm to really get good acceleration from it. But it will put steady all the way to the red line. It took a little getting used to driving that high of RPM's especially when I was used to V8 trucks but I don;t think twice about it now. Change the oil, do all regular maintenance and it will be great vehhicle you can keep a very long time.
  • philyuenphilyuen Member Posts: 4
    I have a 87 Integra 5-Door RS, automatic with 70,000 miles. After 30,000 miles, 1990, engine has been running hot. Temperature gauge over 1/2,
    sometimes hitting 3/4. I had replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump, water hoses, sensor to the temperature gauge. I had at least 3 Honda mechanics looked at it. Can someone suggest anything? Thanks
  • ghoshghosh Member Posts: 17
    My '98 Integra LS hatchback has an
    annoying buzz from the sunroof/sunvisor
    are while going over rough/concrete pavements.
    Any remedies? The dealer seems to be helpless.
  • sparkonsparkon Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed this occasionally but I can't say it's really bothersome. Otherwise I love this car. It's reliable--no problems at all. Doesn't use oil, makes great sounds winding through the gears, is fun to fling around corners. Myabe the speakers aren't superlative but those can be changed. Only real weakness is the thin sheetmetal--door dings ! I've had four or five removed already and just got another. The paintless dent removal folks say they're all like that but my Acura seems to have thinner metal than my wife's Cirrus. Otherwise, I'll drive it another three years and give it to my son when he's a senior and goes to college. Reliable, fun car. Who could ask for more ?
  • jeanebeanejeanebeane Member Posts: 1
    Hello All, I was just reading through most of the messages and they are pretty interesting. I am a student and I am currently in the market for a used car that will last my every now and then 5 hr drive from school. My father is helping me look for one. He has found a Integra LS 1990 for $3500. The car has 121,000, but the dealer says it has a newer engine in it with about 42,000 on it. Are there any things in specific I should tell my dad to check out on this car? While reading the messages, I saw that the back break pads and timing belt are a few things that need to be checked.
    I'm not sure on that generation, but the belt should last 90k. The newer engine will have a newer belt, so this shouldn't be a worry.

Exhaust: quit expensive, didn't last long in the midwest (Cleveland.)

Are you guys mechanically inclined? I saved a bunch of money doing the brakes myself: $300 for all new rotors/pads and tools for the job. Wasn't too bad. Another thing that Midas or Acura will charge you to the bone for.

Tires obviously.

Ask if the water pump was replaced with a new one.

Shocks/struts-their stiff on this car, and will probably diminish the ride if they are original.
  • moandleemoandlee Member Posts: 1
    hello, everyone--

in the next couple days, i think i'm about to buy a used '98 Integra RS (the cheap one)/10000 miles/5-speed/only option is air conditioning. i can only go with the now-defunct RS model because i'm 6'2-1/2" and about 300 lbs. (football player in another life, so no wise-assed remarks, please), and the RS doesn't have a moonroof. just no way to fit inside an LS, even with the seat cushion adjuster.

anyway... based on what i've read (everything i can get my hands on...), i should be offering to buy this car for no more than about $13700. the dealer's initial asking price is $16700!

the car's dealer invoice when new was approx. $15810 including destination and estimated $900 for A/C. from what i know about how "hot" a car the integra is NOT right now, and based on the amount of depreciation that occurred the moment this car was driven off the lot, $13700 seems reasonable and realistic. i mean, i already agreed on a price of $16900 for a brand-new '99 integra LS at a local dealer here in the DC area! and the '99 LS has 15" alloys, rear spoiler, ABS and cruise control, which the '98 RS doesn't!

i gotta think that an intelligent, informed buyer would have paid no more than dealer invoice on this '98 RS when he/she bought it, right? Acura's been VERY eager to move integras the past couple years.

i want to ask them to throw in 15" alloys/tires for about $800, cruise control for about $225 and the rear spoiler for $600-- for a total of about $15400 + ttt.

what do you all think? am i nuts? i mean, i don't want to insult the dealer, but they've got to have a realistic idea of the value of this car, right?

any input would be great. thanks.
    They won't throw in larger wheels, they have no use for the old ones. I do not believe cruise control can be added to the RS.

The problem is they have no manufacturer support to dump a used car. That will keep the price of it artificially high. And Integras are kind of unique. I drove my RS for a couple years, THEN got an offer for what I paid for it, which was about invoice. So it is natural for a dealer to command a lot of money for one barely used.

Personally, I'd go with the new car. You can get a decent lease rate, or a good finance rate on that, which should make it worthwhile.

This car is pretty sensitive to extra weight. Just one passenger made the car feel a little harder to control. (I was 130lbs when driving mine.) I might suggest you fiddle with adding perhaps 1-2 psi to the tires to compensate. Of course, make sure you do not exceed the tire's rating, whatever that may be.
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    This is exactly why I always say that used Hondas (+Acura) are the WORST cars to buy used. The best deal you are ever going to get on a Honda product is on a new one.

Bruce.
  • yomama77yomama77 Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone out there that has been shopping around for a 99 LS Coupe w/auto? I've scanned this newsgroup and saw no postings on price. How much should I expect to pay over invoice? I'm located in SF,CA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    Go to www.carsdirect.com and you 'll probably see the lowest possible price you can get. Once you fill out the application they 'll call you when they 've located the car - usually 48 hrs. at a dealer near you.
    I got my Integra GSR through them for $19,898 which is $400 below dealer's invoice!
    Right now there is a $1,000 dealer incentive on all Integras until 8/2 I believe. That is why carsdirect.com can find the car for you at dealer's invoice or lower. They claimed that they had to give the dealer a $600 check our of their pocket to meet the price they advertise!! It had to be true because I paid taxes on $20,450 but only had to give them 19,898 for the car plus plates and registratin fee.
    I live near New York City so it was hard for them to find the price they advertised so they paid the balance. Good luck
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • kcriskcris Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into either a GTI or an Integra. They will both be the 4 cylinder versions since I cannot afford the 6 cylinder variants. Anyone got advice? Hook it up......
    Well, it usually comes down to which one you like best. Test drive both cars and then make your decision.
    The GTI only has 115hp compared to 140 in the Integra. If speed is what you 're looking for then go for an Integra LS 5sp. Do not get either car in automatic. The GTI is cheaper, although not that much but I do find it expensive for only having 115hp. Right now Acura is offering dealers a $1,000 incentive so you can get the Integra at $16,780 from CARSDIRECT.COM! which is $800 under dealer invoice! The 2 cars are comparably loaded except for the spoiler that comes with the Integra. 2 weeks ago carsdirect.com had the LS manual for &18,000 but it must be slow now for Acura dealers so they dropped it even more. Invoice is $19,600 on the LS so you 'd be saving almost $3K. If you can afford $19K+ go for the GSR with 170hp! good luck
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • debibdebib Member Posts: 3
    I had a 95 Integra Special Edition. Now I have 98 GS-R. I kept having problem with the front speakers rattling (blown) in the 95.
    I'm considering installing a subwoofer to handle the base, though I don't use a lot of base. I figure this would help with this "speaker" problem.
    Does anyone else out there find that acura has terrible speakers or is it just me?
    Do you play music loud in general? The amps are pretty weak on the Acura's, and cause distortion very quickly, noticeable at low volumes. At high volumes, that distortion can easily blow speakers.
    Just a guess, but if I'm right, an amplifier would help. Possibly a sub will accomplish the same thing, but I'm not sure.
    Guitarzan,

Yes I do play music loud. The person who is to install my sub says he is installing a 150 watt rms amp with it. Do you think this will work? I really don't want to have to totally upgrade my stereo.
    Yes, the power is exactly what the system needs.

Some questions for you: Do you connect the front speakers to the sub? And do you power them off the new amp?
  • lelflelf Member Posts: 3
    In June I bought a '94 Integra LS. It had 58k miles. The paint was in very good condition and it has new Borbet/Pirelli tires on it. I paid $11,700 for it. About 2 weeks later, I noticed the radiator was slightly leaking. After trying radiator fix, I had to have it replaced. ($630!) Has anyone else had this problem? Did I get a good deal on the car. Also, after replacing the transmission oil, Which it calls for at 60k miles, the car runs much,much smoother. The car is now in excellent mechanical shape, (I hope!)
    Guitarzan,
    What is the best way to have a sub-woofer installed to the car stereo. Have the speakers connected to the sub? I'm really trying to get the best sound out of this stereo.
    I 've never run accross a radiator problem with Integras especially w/low miles but my '95LS had developed a small valve cover leak around 25K mi. probably due to high revving and red lining all the time. The dealer fixed it under the warranty and I hear it was common in earlier Integras. Don't worry your Integra will be trouble free for a long time. $11,700 is about list on a '94 LS with 48,000 mi. but you got extras like wheels & good performance tires. I had the Borbet 15x7 alloys on mine too, but I found them to be a little heavy (20lbs!) and the car needed more frequent wheel allignments than usual especially when cornering very hard all the time. If you drive it nice you shouldn't have any pre-mature allignment problems. It did handle much better than with the 14" though. Big difference! Made it a lot more fun to drive and was much more stable at high speeds. Especially with the DC Sports upper strut bar (paid $39.99)
    Have fun and good luck with it.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    That is why I asked YOU those questions :) I am not familiar with how to install these things, sorry :(
  • lelflelf Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response to my questions.

lelf
  • hobbit1hobbit1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi: I'm new to this ... but I thought you guys can tell me. I'm about to buy a 1999 Acura LS 5-speed (after owning a 1987 Honda Accord hatchback which I've loved for all of its 12 years). I've done my research (wish I could afford a GS-R but... I'll be really content with the LS (have a big dog, so don't need leather seats!) Anyway, any thoughts as to what exterior colors hold up the best, easy to maintain or look great in person? Only have seen the black, white and silver. Am wondering how the "Adriatic blue pearl" is. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts. Am kind of excited, but don't want to lose control yet! :) Thanks again.
  • wgintzwgintz Member Posts: 22
    Hobbit1:

I have a black 1996 GS-R which has never been garaged and the paint has held up great. I also wash and wax regularly. As long as you take care of the exterior, any color you choose should do great. Choose whatever you like best.
  • marvin5marvin5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a black 94 which shows every defect as do all black cars, and they are hot in the summer,
    I had a silver mazda once and it looks old before its time
  • bdavis32bdavis32 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone ordered a car thru carsdirect.com? I am in the process of this, but now they mentioned that they don't pay any of the dealer fees, and said there may be a $279 documentation fee to fill out the title transfer paperwork. This seems excessive for 5-10 minutes of work.

Thanks,
    Brad
  • pam11pam11 Member Posts: 1
    I had an 86 Integra that was great, except in the ice and snow. Then it would slip around like crazy. I am considering a 99 - can anyone tell me how the newer models respond in bad weather?
  • wgintzwgintz Member Posts: 22
    Bad weather handling is ok at best with the stock Michelins on my 96' GS-R. You will want to consider a good set of snow tires if you get a 99'.
    Now is the time to buy though! I've read on the other integra board in the Sports Car conference that people are getting the Integra for up to $800 BELOW invoice through carsdirect.com.
    Good luck in your car shopping.
  • luper99luper99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Integra. I bought it with about 33,000 miles on it. It has stock everything. I need this car to last. Does anyone have any suggestions to keeping my car in good working condition? I am in an outside sales position so I do a lot of driving (up to 100 miles a day). Are there any accessories I can add on to make it drive better longer? Thanks
  • ss7ss7 Member Posts: 3
    hi luper99
    how much did you pay for 97 integra and which trim was it. I am also planning to buy used integra 96 or 97. i want to get an idea how much they sell for.

thanks in advance
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    ss7, have you had a chance to check out our Edmunds pricing guide for your model? Just click on Used Cars near the top of the lefthand tool bar. Then click on manufacturer, year, and model. I hope it is helpful to you.

carlady/host
  • fastcarguyfastcarguy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new GS coupe, space is spectacular with the seats down
  • pgt7pgt7 Member Posts: 1
    Torquless little pissy 4cyl!!!!
  • 95ls95ls Member Posts: 1
    (My first post in this format )
    Just bought a 95 LS, with 78k miles, runs and handles perfect. The only potential problem that I have noticed, is some apparent valve noise coming from the valve cover area right after startup. Noise not there when the motor is hot. PO said the valves were recently adjusted. Could it be the distributer ? Doesn't sound really bad, but I'm concerned . Any experience out there ?
  • ss7ss7 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks carlady, i checked in edmunds userd cars, but the prob. is that trade-in price seem less for the car and retail price seems little high. So i am thinking that average price between the trade-in and retail should be the price for old acura.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    ss7, another idea is to check your local classified for an Acura for your year. If there isn't a wide selection, look for a paper with a larger circulation -- many are available on the web -- and see what the going rate for your area is. Good luck and please, keep us posted!

carlady/host
  • abbaabba Member Posts: 17
    A few write-ups on the 99 LS said the suspension
    was now firmer for improved handling. Does anybody know if this is true, and if so, what was done? I know 15 inch wheels and a leather steering wheel were added for sure. Thanks.
  • saundeamsaundeam Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how possible/impossible it is to get a 2000 type-R, with a month or two's notice?
  • cricket8cricket8 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy either a 93 Integra LS hatchback with 95,000 miles on it in mint condition or a 92 Accord 4dr sedan with 60,000 miles on it in mint condition. The Integra is going for $7,000 and the Accord is going for $8,250. Thanks.
    My advice? Get the Accord if you need the room. Get the Integra if you need the fun.

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • snowman1snowman1 Member Posts: 1
    either of those cars is way too way much...unless
    you need the car in a hurry, I'd look around...
    you should be able to get a 94,95 integra (ls)
    or 93-95 accord (dx or lx) for that much money
    (~$8000)...wait till 2000 & the you should be
    able to get even a bit newer car. my $.02
  • jocko2jocko2 Member Posts: 2
    I know this post is a little late, but I just bought a '97 GSR with 18k miles on it for $14750. It is in perfect condition. It took me quite a while to find it though--there weren't too many used GSRs in my area. A LS or GS may be easier to find, but you won't regret waiting for the GSR!
This discussion has been closed.