Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Integra

Comments

• yellowsnowyellowsnow Member Posts: 5
    I've read that the 0-60 time for a gsr is around 7.1 seconds, and the lighter, more powerful type r is only .1 of a second faster. what gives?
  • dodie1972dodie1972 Member Posts: 3
    I'm really thinking about purchasing a used 1997 Integra but I'm not sure...
    I'm on a real tight budget and I don't think I can afford the Accord.
    Any advice on the Integra?
  • goonessgooness Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Integra LS. Love the car, but there is a problem with the antenna. It make a loud noise when it goes up or down. The dealership said the gears on the antenna motor are striped and it would cost $300 plus labor to fix it. I'd rather just cut the power to the antenna motor and leave it up all the time, but I don't know how. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • dodie1972dodie1972 Member Posts: 3
    Any more advice on the Integra?
  • wgintzwgintz Member Posts: 22
    What advice are you looking for about the Integra?
    If you want reliable and efficient transportation get the LS. If you want something a little more performance oriented get the GS-R. I have a 96' GS-R and love it! With either car you won't be disappointed...

Good luck,

Bill
    Go to http://www.integra.vtec.net for info about your antenna. It should have a link to an audio page which will have the info you are looking for.

good luck,

Bill
    Where did you get your numbers on the Type-R?
    I believe the Type-R will actually do 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds.
  • yellowsnowyellowsnow Member Posts: 5
    I got the numbers from motor trend. another question: has the type-r always had the 195 hp engine? (maybe that would account for the difference-the #'s I read were for a '97). thanks for your response.
    The Type R has had 195 hp since it was introduced.
    I searched around the web and found a Car and Driver article that tested the Type R with a 0 - 60 time of 6.6 seconds. Check it out at: http://www.geiweb.com/acuraintegra/reviews_article_2a.htm
  • ss7ss7 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input Jock02& carlady
    I bought 96 RS with 36k on it for 12K. I wanted to have LS(love sunroof) but could not find in my short time period. I was very much in need of car.

gonness, I think you should check with acura dealer before cutting down the power for your antenna because if it is very delicate and could easily break if you take your car to carwash(if you keep it open). I saw it breaking in front of me when i was in a carwash few days back. The guy who was washing in front of me broke his while washing with his radio on.(yes! it was acura integra).
  • estimated99estimated99 Member Posts: 6
    Hello -first time poster long time listener-
    I think ill buy a 2000 LS Integra this weekend with some aftermarket leather as i wasnt to big on the spoiler (looks good on some cars not on this one thats my 3 cents anyway) and so my question is about possible incentives --Edmunds doesnt list any out now for the 2000 as there wouldnt be any just yet it being a new car --however i know they spin those out every so often (not only at the end of the model year) but cyclicly or in a pattern --anyone have any guesses as to the next time they might have an incentive or any customer rebates for 2000s(i know they had some for the 99s not to long ago)im sure it has to do with how well they are selling and the market etc... also any ideas or thoughts on Aftermarket leather --anything at all -- Thank You -Talk Soon
  • dnyaneshdnyanesh Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am also interested to buy integra LS 2000 in 2/3 weeks. If anybody had done a deal for the same recently, then pls advice me about the pricing.
    Also I want to know if there are special deals for thanksgiving.. Whats the diff betn LS and GS trim (sedan only) apart from leather interior.
    Thanks in advnc.
    Check out http://www.carsdirect.com.
    You will probably see the best deal you can get on this web site.
    Incentives are rare for Acura/Honda - I would guess that you won't see anymore until next year.
  • achiangachiang Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I am about to buy a 2000 Integra GS coupe.
    1. should I expect invoice prices?
    2. when does the next gen Integra come out?

Thanks
  • dnyaneshdnyanesh Member Posts: 3
    Hi Achiang,
    I am also looking for the GS model.
    But sedan with AT. Will u pls tell me what deal u get so that it may help me for dealing.
    Thanks.
  • maven111maven111 Member Posts: 1
    I know that acura integra hold their resale value pretty well, but i was interested in knowing how easily they sell. And which models sell easier.
  • sheree3sheree3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there I am from Tasmania which is a State within Australia. I have just brought a Honda Integra 89 model I paid 8000 for it. it has 130000 on the clock and is in really good condition do you think it was a good buy?
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I have been looking now at some Integras. I am NOT a Honda person. Almost every car I have owned came from the (hiccup) lovely state of Michigan. The 1980 and 1986 Civics I had were horrible, the '80 lost its timing belt the day after I bought it, and the '86 blew its head gasket 130 miles after I bought it (temp gauge was stuck halfway between C and H). The girlfriend bought a 1998 LS hatchback, automatic, and she loves it. I found a 1994 sedan (automatic) I wouldn't mind owning, but I really want a standard shift. The dealer showed me a price of $8500 listed on the window sticker for that sedan with 78K. Then when we went inside to discuss a deal, he started up at $8995. Then he went down to $8250, then when his manager came over to work on me, they started back up at $8995. I looked at several book prices on this car, including Edmund's, and I figure the car is worth $6500-$7000 cash with those miles and the non-factory rims (the rims have Honda logos and look like they came off a late-eighties Prelude). I do like the car, and the automatic chirped the tires from 1-2 AND 2-3. This is an automatic, seriously. Maybe it's about to break, I don't know, but I'm searching for my standard shift before I drop an $8000 note on another car. Anyone have problems with Acura dealers unable to price their cars properly? This was Lindsey Acura in Columbus, Ohio.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    Two thoughts on aftermarket leather : Extremely expensive and (usually) poor quality. My friends dad wanted to get the front bench in his Monte Carlo covered in leather and they told him it would be about 3 grand. As far as the price of Hondas in Tasmania, I have no idea what the current exchange rate between here and Australia is, so I can't tell ya. In the US the car you described, depending on what options/type of integra it is, could be worth anything from 2,000 to maybe 4,000 USD. You might want to be more specific, as you didn't list whether it's an Rs or an LS, what options it has, what type of shape its in. I'm also assuming by 130000 on the clock you're talking km.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    It's not that the dealers can't decide, they play games and try to get as much money from you as they can.
    I would seriously recommend a 5-sp. Integra ('94 & up). They 're faster than the autos and the manual gear box will never brake. Automatic Integras are usually very reliable though.
    Dealers always price their used cars high so they can start negotiating down and pretend they 're giving you a break on the price.. Make him an offer of $6700 and watch what happens. He 'll probably come back with $7500-7900. Tell him you researched it and the the car is worth no more than $7K. Stick to your guns and maybe go up to $7,000 and he 'll call you back eventually after a few days. Used cars sit in the lot for a long time and they 're usually eager to get rid of them. I 'd personally look for a 5-sp.. It 'll be cheaper than an auto.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • ryuyszhryuyszh Member Posts: 6
    I have owned my '90 Integra LS, Hatchback, 5spd, for 8 months now and put about 19k miles on it. Damn I love this car! The styling of the 2nd generation Integras (1990 to 1993) is bolder and better than the 3rd generation, almost everyone agrees, even the 3rd generation Integra owners. I drove a 1999 Integra LS Sedan, automatic and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Right away I noticed my 9 year old car has better acceleration and handling! Personally I think the best Integra ever would be the 1993 Integra GSR, 160 hp in a 2600 lb car is pretty zippy and looks cool as hell! As far as you people looking for NEW Integras, the 2000 Integra Type R seems like a lot of bang for the buck, 195 hp street race car for under $25,000 list. Sign me up! 'Course, I'm holding out for an NSX-T.

For more info on 2nd Generation Integras, visit this site! www.gen2integras.8m.com
  • intocarsintocars Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an integra GS coupe with automatic transmission for $20,700 including the acura floormats,(optional dealer item).I am impressed with the power for a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder.The stereo system is also excellent.I recomend the floor mats as they provide very good protection as well as look vey nice.The only other additional charges were tax title and registration,no advertising fees.I hope this helps out anyone thinking about buying one.The only problem with the car is getting away from my wife.Good Luck and let me know how you do.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    For those of you who are planning to purchase soon, try http://www.carorder.com. I priced a number of 2000 Integras and most of them were below invoice, even the GS-R. I have not had any personal experience with carorder.com BUT I went through the carorder.com bulletin board (also here on Edmund's) and found a lot of positive feedback.

My sister recently bought a '99 Integra LS Coupe (the old fashioned way) and she was able to get $18750 + tax. I thought that was a decent deal until I saw another '99 Interga LS Coupe at a local dealership down here in Orlando, FL for $17,653 + tax. Year-end is the best time to deal.

I'm not sure how the 2001 Integra will look like but this page seems to speculate:

http://www.busybeetoys.com/SCOOP/scoop-99-11-27.htm
    ryuyszh: The '90 Integra LS is slower than a '94-'00 LS by at least .5s to 60mph.
    Although there is only a 10hp difference the '94&up Integra 5-sp is noticeably faster than the '90 LS. My friend had a '90 LS (nice car - white) 5-sp. which he had bought new and I had driven it several times. In '94 when the new Tegs came out we had raced a couple and always lost. Then my brother bought a '95 LS which I also drove at least a dozen times and it was definitely faster. Your '90 LS will kill an auto G3 Teg no problem though.. Most 0-60 times tested by major car mags for '90-93 Integras were 8.7-9.3s (5-sp)
    G3 Integra RS/LS were always 7.9-8.5s (5-sp) but if you want to believe your car is faster, that's fine by me. Don't forget the new Tegs you test drove were not broken in and I don't know if you redlined them or not. They get a lot faster after a few thousand miles. Also don't forget that you probably test drove them with a 200lb salesman in it and compared it to your car when you're by yourself and no passenger. 200lbs will rob the car of about 8HP.
    intocars: $20,700 for a GS?? Sounds like a lot
    I paid $19,890 for my '99 GSR through www.carsdirect.com. That's $400 under dealer
    invoice. 'Crikey' is right. You can get Integras at or below invoice these days because they 're not selling too well due to the new Celica and a lot of other new models out by different manufacturers. This is the best time to buy one though because next fall they 'll be selling for sticker. They 'll be redesigned and have more power and will be more in demand than now.
    When I went to buy my car last June, the dealers' lots had about 15-20 Integras sitting there collecting dust. Carsdirect.com price was $20.3K which was pretty good ($22,550-MSPR). I haggled with the lady at carsdirect and told her about a $1K dealer incentive that was in effect, etc. etc.
    2 days later they dropped it to $19,895 and I locked in on that. The dealer still made about $600 (plus 2%holdback) due to the $1K factory-dealer incentive. I remember people here on Edmunds paying $17.6-17.9K for 5-sp. LS's.
    Now that's a great deal. ABS, sunroof, CD, 4wheel-disk, power/w/l/cruise for under $18K.
    My brother paid $18K for his LS (w/spoiler) in '95!
    But your GS has leather, auto tranny & rear spoiler. Should be about $20K (dealer's cost without incentives or holdback)... You didn't do that bad at all. Sticker on an auto GS is about $22,200, so you saved about $1500, not bad.
    Congrats, enjoy your new car!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    I'm not saying my 1990 LS coupe is faster than a brand new G3 LS coupe. I did NOT fail to mention that the G3 Teg I was driving was AUTOMATIC, 4 DOOR, and BRAND NEW. I did forget to mention that my girlfriend was a passenger. The new Integras are pretty nice cars but the styling is soooo bland and generic and that quad headlight thing is hideous! I certainly wouldn't mind a new GSR or Type R but I would definitely get the Japanese front end conversion. Still like my '90 though and I'll keep it till I have enough for my NSX. hehe.

Ben
    Sorry about that, you wrote:
    "I drove a '99LS automatic & MAN what a diff.."

I thought you meant you drove both auto & manual!
    :-) I read it again and it doesn't look that way now, oh well. Yes, your '90 LS 5-sp is definitely faster than a new auto Teg.
    If someone was selling a '93LS 5-sp. and a '94LS auto with the same mileage for the same price, I 'd buy the '93 w/5-speed. The autos noticeably lack the performance of the 5-sp. Tegs and get worse mileage. I believe in getting the most out of an engine and an auto tranny does nothing but injustice for the Integra's excellent 1.8L 140hp eninge.
    Hey, when you get your NSX, could you let me drive it a little, maybe around the block?
    I 've driven my brother's '98 Type-R many times and I can only imagine what the NSX would feel like.. I guess my imagination would have to do for now :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • lelflelf Member Posts: 3
    I have a '94 Integra LS 5-speed. I've put 4k miles on the car since it was purchased with 58k miles. Since then I've replaced the entire radiator system ($630), 2 sensors ($500) because the check engine light would come on and limit the car at 3500 rpms, and also it would stahl occasionally. The distributor cap and rotor ($70) was also replaced fearing this could be the problem. It was due to be changed at 60k miles anyway. I even replaced the battery because it was looking a little too worn. Has anyone else had problems like these?
    Acuras and Hondas are usually good, reliable cars. However, since you bought the car with 58k miles (relatively low) and it has had that many problems since you bought it already, I may be inclined to think that the prior owner beat the living hell out of it, didn't have it regularly serviced (oil changes, tune ups, etc) and may have even raced it.

By the way...
    '90-'91 RS, LS, GS...130 hp
    '92-'00 RS, LS, GS...140 hp

'92-'93 GSR...160 hp
    '94-'00 GSR...170 hp

Just some info. for y'all.

Ben
  • webjeff2webjeff2 Member Posts: 21
    ryuyszh; The 94 and 95 non VTEC Integras actually had 142hp, but it was reduced to 140hp from 96 on up. I'm not sure why this was though. Also, way back when, I had a 91 Integra LS and my friend had just purchased a new 92 LS with 140hp. We raced after his car had been fully broken in and I beat him by just a bit. We then swapped cars and he proceeded to beat me by roughly the same amount. After trying to figure out why, we happened to notice in some specs that he had, that the 90-91 Integras were geared shorter than the 92 Integras. Why did Acura do this? The hp increase was negated by the taller gearing. I guess maybe so they could advertise 140hp at the time without suffering in the fuel economy ratings? Interestingly, in late 94, he traded his 92 in for a 4 door 5spd. LS and I still had my 91. Again, after his car was broken in , we raced and I beat him and then we swapped, and my 91 was still faster. Believe it or not, the only "mods" that i'd done to the 91 were rapid fire plugs and Duralube. I ended up driving that car until 1996 when I traded for a 96 GSR (I was gealous; my wife had a 94 GSR at the time). That 91 LS was a great car and in the 110,000 miles that I drove it, the ONLY thing to break on it was the antenna mast at 89,000 miles. I didn't do my first brakejob until 80,000 miles and everything else was original. By the way, when I did my last oil change on that car at 108,000 miles, it still was not using a drop of oil!
  • toologytoology Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 legend coupe (which I love) and was having it serviced at the dealer, they gave me a loaner 99 integra, and I loved it, it had great handling and great pep for a 4 banger. Only one complaint, the classic 4 banger engine noise, after having a smooth growl of a V6, a 4 banger just won't do, but it did have more nimble handling then my huge [non-permissible content removed] legend, which is understandable.

My 2 Cents
  • liv4himliv4him Member Posts: 1
    I definitely agree with you, We used to have an older legend and now we have a '99 5-spd. manual Integra. As much as I like the rush of driving our little car, the engine noise does bother me. My hubby doesn't seem to mind, he just cranks up the music. I noticed that putting the shifter to 1st gear is hard when the weather's cold. It has 13k miles on it and I never had a stickshift before but this doesn't seem normal to me. Does anyone else have experienced this? Thanks for reading.
    I have a '99 Integra w/9K mi. and I think what you describe is normal. I wouldn't say it's hard to put it in 1st when cold, just not as smooth as when warm?
    I don't know which Integra you have but I have the GSR which is even noisier than the LS or GS and redlines at 8000rpm. I don't mind it around town but on the highway when I 'm crusing at 75-80 I do have to put the radio up but it doesn't really bother me. Sometimes when I hit 100+mph that's when it gets really loud!
    A lot of it is tire noise too. On new smooth black top roads it's actually almost quite. On the old asphalt highways though it's twice as noisy.. but fun to drive!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • litvaklitvak Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am soon to be 18 years old and graduating from High School. Currently i am driving a 92 geo prizm(i got when i turned 16). I really don't like the geo, extremly slow(102 hp) and the handling is horible. also the reliability is not the best. anyways, i am thinking of getting a new sports coupe for my graduation. I want a HONDA, so the only car i could think of was the integra GSR. I was thinking that I could probably get one(94 gsr 5spd) for about 8000 with around 80k, my friends father has a dealer auction permit to buy cars, they are cheaper there. Would this be a good move ? I will probably have to take a load for about 4k though... I mainly want the gsr for its power/handling/reliability. Any feedback would be awsome! thanks.
    good choice. It's fun to drive, has decent handling (get better tires!) and it reliable.
    It does require PREMIUM gas though and gasoline prices are the highest they 've ever been.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • ssnseawolfssnseawolf Member Posts: 1
    I am going to buy a new integra and want to buy the GSR, but hate manual and want an automatic. However i noticed that the 2000 GSRs dont come in auto. Will they make a auto in the future?
    As to my second question. I know little about cars and engines and whatnot but i wanted to know how much (or if i can at all) upgrade the integra engine to a 6 cylinder. If so how much would it cost? Thanks.
    Don't buy an automatic. GSRs are sports cars and automatic transmissions rob the car of power and they're no where near as much fun to drive! I'd learn to drive stick on someone's old junker, where damage to transmission isn't a big deal. The only reason to drive automatic cars is if you're (A) a senior citizen in a Buick Century and find it inconvenient to shift or (B) like to eat in the car while you're driving, in which case you shouldn't be going fast anyway.

Trying to fit a V6 into an integra would basically be a waste of time and money in my opinion. Honda only makes a handful of V6s, one for newer Accords, one for the Legends, and one for the NSX (As far as I know). I doubt that you could fit a V6 in an Integra and if you could it would coast several thousand dollars (I would guess at least 5K).

If you want more power I think you'd be better off with a Turbo or Supercharger with some additional bolt-on parts like a cold air intake, header and performance exhaust. There's no shortage of those on the market for that 94+ Integras, that's for sure. Otherwise you could get a 2000 Integra Type R which has about 195 hp and only costs about $25K. That only has a 4 banger but it's more than a little quick. I used to think that more cylinders meant more speed but with Honda's engine tuning ability it seems 4 cylinders are gaining a little respect on the road and track. Good luck!

Ben
    I 've never heard of anyone doing that and I think you 'll have a hek of a time fitting a V6 in there. The GSR is plenty quick and it deserves a 5-sp, not auto. Why would you want to replace one of the most high tech VTEC engines around? Look at the Celica GT-S that comes with auto as an option. It's a lot slower than the 6-sp. version..
    These cars need a manual tranny because they 're 4cyl. and don't have much low end torque. If it's an auto you seek look elsewhere or at the Integra LS with 140hp. You can always look at V6 autos although the GSR will still be faster than most of them, if it's performance you 're looking for.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • mickapoo2mickapoo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a cypress green pearl automatic '97 Integra. It has about 35,000 MI on it with no problems at all. Before that I had a '94, also with excellent reliability. I love these cars! Even with the automatic, it still has lots of power. Anyone interested in purchasing my '97, e'mail me (mickapoo@hotmail.com)
  • kwaigoneginkwaigonegin Member Posts: 2
    anyone heard anything of the new totally redesign integra? perhaps the 2001 model even? if so please let me know
  • rascal8rascal8 Member Posts: 54
    Post #179 has a link to the (supposedly) new Integra for 2001. I am sure Honda/Acura will do a great job with the engine and performance, however; IMHO this design is butt ugly. It looks too conservative and they stuck with the same headlight design as the current Prelude, which a lot of people don't like. Although, I remember when the current model Civic was released some criticized the design, the headlights especially, but the car still sold well. What do you all thing of this design ?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I actually posted that but I don't have any faith in the speculation. If anyone has accurate info, please let us know. Thanks.
  • rconway1rconway1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 GS-R and although I love its handling characteristics I am still a bit disappointed in its acceleration. Is the 2000 Type R noticeably quicker or should I wait until the 2001 GS-R and/or Type R's come out? (Assuming the rumours of significant horse power increases to both.)
    This came from autoweek or automobile magazine and many other sources.
    Looks like there is going to be only 1 Integra for '01. It will have a 2.0L 217hp engine and will be the Type-R but may not have the "R" name.
    It will just be called Integra but will have all the Type-R trimmings, suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc. It will be a true sports car.
    www.vtec.net also said the new Integra will have 220hp so 217 is most likely it.
    It also looks like that picture of the '01 Integra is it! Because the magazines spoke of the Prelude lights, etc.
    BTW, there will be no more Prelude but there will be a new sporty Accord Coupe to take its place.
    The sad things is that they said the new '01 Integra will not be available till 3/01!
    It's going to be a hek of a machine though and will kick Celica butt. I just hope they keep the price reasonable and make it affordable. The current Type-R stickers for $24.8K. If they go higher than $25K I don't believe they 're going to seel too many of them.
    There will also be NO MORE 4dr Integras according to this article. It's too bad they 're not making a lesser Integra with 150hp or so or a GSR in between with like 190hp to compete directly with the Celica GT-S. I guess they just wanted to blow the doors off anything out there that costs $30K or less. They 're showing no mercy :) It's estimated that this new Integra will do 0-60 in just over 6 sec. and 1/4 mi. will be in the low to mid 14's!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • david6david6 Member Posts: 75
    Does anyone here know a good place to get cheaper Acura parts for my '93 Integra Hatchback? integra.vtec.net is down, so no help there, and I can't find the number for the California dealer I've gotten discounted parts from in the past (discovered in the back of Autoweek). One of my headlights died, and I'm not paying my dealer to replace it! So, I want to save money on the part, too. Any help appreciated.
  • dav50dav50 Member Posts: 6
    I am just about to buy a 93 Integra RS (base model) with 147K. The car seems to be in very good condition looks-wise. My car-freak friend checked it out and said it had had no accidents (front or rear) and has a healthy engine. It's black/black and looks well taken care of. It drives nicely and has a recent "pass" smog test. But :

1- It makes this tick-tick sound in the back (not too loud) when I brake and the same sound (from the back) when I turn left at about 40-50 mph.

2- The odometer wire makes a fit-fit-fit sound when the car's cold (New England winters !).

3- It has a slight leak around the sunroof that wets the upholstry on the roof when it rains.

4- Antenna mast is broken.

5- Otherwise looks and runs well and quite peppy compared to the brand new ones I have driven.

Now, considering the price ( $3700 which is about the KBB trade-in value, and I am NOT trading in but buying it from an owner) and considering the estimate to take care of the above problems (which I am absolutely clueless about !!), is this car worth the money?

Please help me out. Thanks for your help friends.

Dave
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Dave, have you had a chance to use our Used Car pricing for the Integra? If not, go to the homepage, click on Used Cars, click on Acura, click on 1993, then click on Integra. It allows you to take into consideration mileage and the features on car you are considering.

Without casting aspersions on your car-freak friend, I'd invest some bucks and have a mechanic look over the car for you. Ask your questions about the noises, etc. and find out if anything is really a problem. You may also want to do a VIN check to discover the history on this car.

Also, ask to review all of the service records. IMHO, if the person does not provide service records, do not buy a used car from him.

This way you won't have to worry about being "clueless." ;-)

What do others think?

carlady/host
    The suroof leak would bother me and I probably wouldn't buy the car just for that reason. The RS models did not come with a sunroof so this is probably an aftermarket sunroof which is why it's leaking (not that factory ones don't leak).
    The speedo noise you hear is normal. The rear noise could be wheel bearings or some kind of suspension problem or just a cracked bushing..
    $3700 I assume is for a car in really good shape. I wouldn't pay more than $3K for this one. Considering it's 7yrs old, the body will start rusting in another year or so since you 're in New England and it's been through bad winters.
    Is it a 5-sp or auto? If it's a stick you have to consider the cost of a new clutch in the near future as well.
    147K is really not a lot miles for an Integra engine (depending how it was driven..) and I 'm sure this will probably last well into the 200K's (before the head gasket goes - can be replaced for about $500) but it's the other stuff around the engine that goes..
    Next major maintenance item around 150-160K mi. is a timing belt ($250-400 depending if they replace the water pump or not at the same time).
    The owner of this car has already changed the timing belt at around 60-80K mi. Make sure he has, ask for receipts! Timing belt usually goes between 70-95K miles. If it brakes you can have bent valves and head problems that could cost you up to $1500 to fix! That's why you must replace it before it goes.
    These are some things for you to think about. Basically what I 'm trying to say is that you have enough money for some maintenance & repairs on top of fixing the sunroof and the other noise.
    Another advice from me would be to ignore little noises because a car with that many miles on it develops noises every couple of months as the body and other things loosen up. What you should watch out for is major clunking, banging, metal scraping, etc. Little rattles and slight ticking, is usually normal and I wouldn't go crazy over them. You will have a lot more than one or two as the mileage gets higher..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • fadebluefadeblue Member Posts: 4
    My above post should have read, 'I will drive the car harder than the former owner',,, so handling
    (performance) is important,, as is longevity.
    thanks again,,,
    Do not buy the same Michelins again. They really suck and every GSR owner will tell you this.
    See if you can find the Dunlop SP8000 in 205-50.
    They 're supposed to be discontinued any day now.
    You will not get good longevity if high/ultra performance tires. There must be a compromise. The Michelins do just that, last a long time but perform poorly in dry & wet. I think in the wet it is the worst tire I 've owned.
    I have Dunlop D60-A2 HR rated tires on my Civic and like them a lot better than the Michelin
    XGT-V4 that I have on my '99 GSR.
    You might want to go for the little more expensive Dunlop SP9000 in 205-50. BTW, no other mods are required to accomodate one size larger tire because the diameter of the 205-50 is almost identical to the factory 195-55 so the hight of the new tire is pretty much the same (it's about less than a 1mm shorter, 10mm wider and look better).
    Again, these tires are very dangerous in the rain or when the road is slightly wet, they have no traction whatsoever in the rain and the car has a lot of power so it's easy to slide and loose control. Dunlops perform excellent in the wet! Almost as good as in the dry believe it or not. They 're really amazing. Try and get a ZR rated Dunlop tire if you can, you won't regret it. The Michelin XGT-V4 don't hold a candle to the SP5000, 8000 or 9000 or even the D60.
    I used to own Dunlop D40_M2 (same as SP8000) and loved them. Couldn't even get the tires to squeal at ramps doing 80mph.
    If it doesn't snow where you live you don't need an all season tire. Get the Ultra performance SP8000 and you will get about 30K mi. of pure driving excitement with this tire.
    BTW, I just visited Tirerack.com and there are 1/2 dozen GSR owners who gave their comments about this tire. Search by brand (Dunlop), and then click on the SP8000, page down a little and you 'll see what people are saying about the tire. A lot GSR & BMW owner swear by it. A lot of good information there. Also if you read the test results the SP8000 beat the Michelin MXX3 which is almost twice the price! Don't get Michelin. You 'll be paying more for the name and get crappy performance. You can't go wrong with the very popular SP8000.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    I second only1harry on the stock Michelin's. They are terrible tires! Not only do they have poor performance but they are way overpriced. I had to have one replaced when a nail punctured my sidewall. I can't wait to get some new tires on my 96' GS-R. Go to tirerack.com and check out your options.

Bill
This discussion has been closed.