Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Integra

Comments

• dav50dav50 Member Posts: 6
    Wow, you guys are real nice! I really appreciate your putting so much time and explaining the problems to me.

1- The sunroof leak is just minimal to the extent that the upholstry around it became "damp" after a two-day rain. But, who is the person to take it to (assuming the dealer will charge an arm and a leg) to change the plastic "washer" under the glass frame?

2- I read way up there that someone had suggested a Sears electric antenna mast for $40. Is that a good option? Are there other good options?

3- How do I run the VIN check? I actually sense some fishy info regarding the car's private ownership. I would really like to know who owned this car over the past few years at least.

4- It is a standard (stick) transmission. Should I do something about the clutch now or just wait for it to go (acceleration is pretty good now)? How much am I looking at for a new clutch and service etc. ?

5- Should I replace the timing belt just to be on the safe side? How much more will I be charged at the dealer? If not the dealer, where would my second best option be?

6- The odometer noise is kinda loud in the cold mornings and continues. Will it go away if I change the spring/wire? How much am I looking at?

Again, thanks a lot folks. You are very helpful.

Thank You,
    Dave
  • fadebluefadeblue Member Posts: 4
    Thanks only1Harry and Bill for your replys. I'm not going to get the Michelins, will instead consider other makes. 'In the wet' performance is very important to me, (It rained sheets today)
    Am going back to Tire Rack. com.
    Well,, I did it,, ordered four SP Dunlop 8000's today,,,very excited about getting them,,, they should arrive in 3-5 business days!
    My question,, if either of you would be so kind as to respond,, Seems like I've read somewhere online that this level of tire on the gs-r NEEDS
    to be installed according to certain torque
    specifications,,, do either of you know anything about this?
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    dave50, to run a VIN check, click here. It costs $19.95 and it can help you identify flooding, odometer fraud, rental status, etc. I don't think it will give you a list of prior owners.

What did they say about maintenance records? That might give you a clue. And, if you don't mind my asking, if you actually sense some fishy info regarding the car's private ownership, why are you still interested?

carlady/host
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    It's the lug nuts on the wheels that need to be torqued so you don't warp your brake rotors.
    For GSR (and most Civics) it's 80lbs per sq.inch.
    Ask the shop that's going to mount the tires to use a torque wrench and set it at 80.
    You could also buy a good torque wrench at Sears (craftsman) for like $70. They actually could be off by 1 or 2. It could be 78 or 82, it won't make much of a difference. The problem is when one lug nut is like 76 and another (lug) 88 or 90.. They should all be the same (around 80 +/- a couple of lbs..)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    Somewhat sheepishly I turned to page 189 of the maual,, yep, there it is,, 80 lbs torque on the lug nuts,,, thanks again,,,
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I hate to be picky but isn't torque expressed as "ft.-lbs" rather than lbs per sq. inch. (psi is a pressure rating).

OK, I feel better now...
  • njcarolnjcarol Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 97 Integra, this may seem like a stupid question but here goes. What is the difference between an Integra LS and a GS? The title does not have a model on it, the keys say its a GS and on carfax the vin says it's an LS/SE..It has leather interior..All these letters are confusing. I have read on the net that the special edition for 97 is the GS...but I should know what car I'm driving hugh??? Also any comments owners might have on the 97 would be most appreciated. I've only had the car for about 3 days and I love it...I want to take care of it the best I can....thanks
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    roadroach:
    Good point, but I guess 1-foot is assumed, and it really doesn't matter unless you're using a rod to apply the torque.
    Sounds like you bought a GS but every couple of years they have an SE version as well which I believe came with leather & spoiler as standard. Not sure which one you got but I believe they 're the same. Actually I think the SE comes in white only. Is your Integra white? The GS is the most expensive Integra you can get 2nd only to the GSR (170hp engine vs. 140hp in LS, SE & GS). I hate that Acura doesn't designate the model on the car anywhere like they used to with pre-94's.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Not sure about pre-98 models, but from '98, LS and GS have minor equipment differences (15" alloy on GS, spoiler, standard leather etc.), but mostly it is the same as LS.
  • garthgarth Member Posts: 66
    in 98:
    RS had no power locks or sunroof; steel wheels w/covers
    LS added 14" alloys, sunroof, power locks
    GS added 15" alloys, sunroof, power locks, leather, spoiler

in 99/00:
    no RS
    LS has 15" alloys
    i think the rest is the same...

standard disclaimers ("i may or may not be an idiot") apply
    Thanks for the responses,guys,...to answer your question Harry the car is silver, grey leather interior.....I also read a question on the board regarding the antenia...mine makes a loud banging noise...Is this normal??
    Oh and I forgot...15" wheels...
    Yes, the noise is there will almost all Integras.
    Even in my '99 GSR (when it goes down). They say you 're supposed to grease the antenna every year or so or it could potentially break.. I gotta look into that more.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Hi again.
    I am the same person who put in entry 203, to which you responded in entry 205. I ended up buying the car because I was in urgent need for transportation and my job is very time consuming, hence no time for more car-shopping. I would appreciate it if you, or anyone with the know-how, would answer my questions in entry 210. Thanks a lot.

Dave
    I answered a few of them before. Not sure about the antenna. There is a web site where you can check VIN #s. I 'll see if I can find it for you.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • joemc5joemc5 Member Posts: 1
    IS the 2001 Integra coming out March 01/00 in 3days?I need to know because my next door neighbor wants my 93GS
    Thanks for taking the time Harry :

1- The sunroof leak is just minimal to the extent
    that the upholstry around it became "damp" after a
    two-day rain. But, who is the person to take it to (assuming the dealer will charge an arm and a leg) to change the plastic "washer" under the glass frame?

2- I read way up there that someone had suggested
    a Sears electric antenna mast for $40. Is that a
    good option? Are there other good options?

4- It is a standard (stick) transmission. Should
    I do something about the clutch now or just wait
    for it to go (acceleration is pretty good now)?
    How much am I looking at for a new clutch and
    service etc. ?

5- Should I replace the timing belt just to be on
    the safe side (147 K miles now)? How much more will I be charged at the dealer? If not the dealer, where would my second best option be?

6- The odometer noise is kinda loud in the cold
    mornings and continues. Will it go away if I
    change the spring/wire? How much am I looking at?

Again, thanks a lot for being so helpful.

Dave
    my god, if it's the original belt at 147k you're about six blocks away from a disaster. you NEED to find out when it's been changed in the past; the interval on this car is either 60k or 90k (it'll be in the manual)
    Thanks. The prior owner told me it had been changed "around 80K". When should I do it next?

Thanks again.
    doublecheck the owner's manual - if it's a 60k interval, i'd go ahead and change it again. on Hondas/Acuras, this usually involves changing the water pump, too, since you have to remove it anyway and it's not a terribly expensive part (you won't be paying for labor).

you might want to negotiate the cost of this out of your purchase price if you can
    Yes, you 'd want the timing belt replaced around 150-160K mi.
    Don't do anything with the cluth if the car is running ok. I 've seen Integras go 200K mi. on the original clutch. It's expensive (around $600)
    Get an estimate from a garage/mechanic on the speedometer/odometer noise. I can't see them charging you more than 1hr labor. The part is cheap.
    I would take the car to an autoglass place to get an estimate on the sunroof.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Thanks a lot for your info. I will look into your advice. Do you suggest I change The timing belt at a dealership or just my own "foreign autos' mechanic" that I used for my prior car?

Thanks
    Dave
  • briansbrians Member Posts: 14
    The 2001 Integra is due to debut Spring '01. There's 12 more months to go.

-Brian
  • dsobdnt1dsobdnt1 Member Posts: 13
    Greetings,
    I recently purchased and 2000 Interga (checkbook demanded the LS model) and could not be more impressed with a vehicle. The ONLY complaint I have is that everyone else seems to be driving one also :-)!!!

Prior to this, I owned a 94 Nissan Sentra (red-sporty one) and a 99 Mazda Pick-up. Loved the Nissan and literally cried when they told me it was totaled. Probably would have stayed with them, except they don't make a 2-door model anymore--can't be seen driving a 4-door sedan :-). I also (for a very short time--4 months to be exact) owned a 99 Mazda Pickup--BIG waste of money and what sent me looking for a new mode of transportation. See maintenance title 'Mazda--won't make that mistake again!!!' for more details.

What really sold me on the Integra was the engineering of the airbags--they place the sensors on the firewall vice in the bumper as with most cars. This may sound like a petty reason to buy a $20,000 car, but let an airbag smack you in the face for hitting a curb at 8mph and you'll understand why it became important to me :-).

Back to the subject, my little blue Integra has quickly (one week) wormed it's way into my heart. She handles VERY well, the stock sound system is adequate, the gas mileage is decent, LOVE the moon roof and power windows, the fold-down seats offer plenty of cargo room and (not to mention) I look %$#@ good driving it!!

Til next time...
    Congrats.
    I'd say you made an excellent decision. Have fun.
  • lperrylperry Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 Integra LS 5 speed with a B-18B engine. It is my second car, my first being a Jetta. The Acura is awsome. I really enjoy driving now. Anyway, i was just wondering...how many miles can i expect my engine to run before it goes to the grave? I'm at 80,000 now and it runs better than my friend's 98 Cavalier with 14,000 miles. I am going to swap a V-TEC B18C into it when it goes out. Any info apriciated, Thanks
  • sionsion Member Posts: 14
    Hi guys, i really need to find out quickly
    what an average fair price for an acura integra
    RS 1993, 80k miles, 1.8L, manual, a/c, one
    owner car with no apparent problems is ?!

around 7k ok ?!

pls. email me at sion@cs.purdue.edu as soon
    as possible. thanx allot !
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    00tl and lperry, you may also want to visit our Maintenance & Repair conference for answers to your questions.

carlady/host
    Congrats on the new car! (I hope you didn't pay $20K for an LS - my '99 GSR was under $20K!)

I know what you mean. I had an airbag smack me in the face in my '97 Civic. I didn't know they came out at first because I was going 65mph when a truck in front of the car in front of me lost its drive axle and we (11 cars) all drove over it! So I heard like a loud bang (like a gun going off) but I thought maybe it was the impact of the undercarriage of my car going over this thing that was about 10" off the ground! Feels like somebody smacked you in the face with open palm and sounds like a gun went off in your ear. I then saw the passenger bag (which was pink!) hanging down and then I realized I couldn't breathe from all the white stuff/powder/gas pouring out of both bags. Thankfully I could open the door and got out to breathe fresh air.
    I 'm still driving that Civic today with 93K mi. but those air bags are very important. I guess the harder they smack you the better they work? :)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    If noise & comfort are you top priority then you shouldn't go to a 50 series tire. They have a lower profile and the ride will be slightly bumpier.
    Sounds to me you that you don't want a performance tire so I think you should stay with the 195-55 size but the problem is that there are not too many tires in that size. You could go to 205-50 but nothing bigger than that because your speedometer will be off too much.
    I 'm not up on the noise level of tires. I 'd suggest going to www.tirerack.com and read all the road tests they 've done. They usually rate the tires on noise.
    As far as treadwear goes, the Michelin XGT-V4 probably has one of the highest one (340 I think). You 're not going to get much better than that. I personally thing they 're really bad in the wet and average in the dry. I 've had much better tires before but not sure about road noise.
    I like the Dunlop D60-A2 all season tire. I 'm on my 3d set now on my Civic and they handle much better on wet and dry than the Michelin XGT-V4 which I still have on my GS-R. I 'm getting Dunlop SP8000 (dry&wet only - not for snow) and they 're excellent in both wet and dry.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Depending what condition the '93 RS is in, I 'd pay between $5500-6500.
    What don't you look it up at Edmunds?
    You 've probably bought the car by now, so good luck with it..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • jalper12jalper12 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I've been eyeing the '00 Integra GS-R for my first ever car purchase (second car, inherited a '95 civic DX from my brother). Test driving it yesterday combined with reading these forums makes me think I'm making the right choice, however, for comparison's sake, can you guys suggest some other cars to test drive and check out? Lookin for cars that are along the same lines and cost around the same, just so I can get a feel for them and make sure the Integra is what I want, though I don't doubt it is!
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I'm sure only1harry will disagree but you may want to look at the new Celica's. The GTS compares well with the GS-R though its somewhat more expensive. The new GTS is very quick, handles well, brakes are exceptional, and interior is roomy (up front anyway). IMO, it also looks better. Visibility and quality of interior materials could be better. Also, since its a brand new model, the dealers are less likely to deal on them than on the Integras.

I would also recommend you look at Preludes; better low end torque than either the Integra or Celica and a more comfortable ride. More expensive than the GS-R (about same as Celica GTS). True coupe design rather than a hatchback though (a negative in my book).
    Yeah, I've never been a big fan of Toyotas or the Celicas, but it would probably be a good comparison car to try out. I'm guessing the Mitsubishi Eclipse would be another good one to compare with. Any others?

I'm planning to head to one of the Honda dealerships and try out possibly the Civic Si and Prelude. Maybe an S2000 if they let me, just for the hell of it.. ;)
  • dsobdnt1dsobdnt1 Member Posts: 13
    No, I did not pay $20,000 for my LS--just tried to give a nice 'round' number. I am one of those women that car salesmen hate to see coming because I tend to show up on their lot with a 'few' volumes of research and a stubborn (bad) attitude. :-)

As far as the airbag goes, maybe Civic designs theirs a little differently.

I, unfortunately, have received punches in the face that did not compare to that airbag...not to mention that it cause over over $3400 worth of damage to the INTERIOR of my truck (steering column (blew the thing right off the dash and into multiple pieces all over the floorboards), steering wheel (completely warped), dash, horn, wiring, airbag, etc.). Best part--my chiropractor estimates 6-8 months just to get my neck back into working order.

Also, I guess, when there is that much damage-dealerships aren't too ept at putting everything back in working order again because I had the steering go out on me coming around a mountain at 70mph! Let me tell ya...that was fun.

I guess I took the 'long way around' to say that --No, a hard smack does not mean better. It was an 8mph impact between the curb and my right front tire (which did not need replacement). I honestly believe that I (and my truck) would have recieved A LOT less damage without the airbag.

My apololgies if the letter seems 'harsh'--I guess I still have some 'issues' to work out with that *&^% airbag!!! :-) But it also explains why I spent so long researching the airbags on various cars before I purchased the Acura--which I am still 'in love' with. :-)

p.s. I still don't trust airbags--especially since information concerning their manufacturing and specifications are so difficult to find.
  • owncav01owncav01 Member Posts: 4
    I was once a proud owner of one of the first generation Acura Integras, it was a 1988 LS hatchback.
    At the time it has one of the first high-tech 16-valve 4 bangers (1.6ltr) that delivered a whopping 120bhp!!
    Nothing by comparison to today's standards but kicked butt to anything in its class at the time!
    I bought it just after I got out of college in the spring of 1988 and now, 12 years and 240,000 miles later, I had to finally give it up for a family vehicle. A Dodge Grand Caravan of all things! ;^(
    I even sold it for $1,100 with all that age and mileage! I did keep a great maintenance log on it.
    I admired all the newer, 2nd and 3rd generation Integras but could not bring myself to part with my "little red buggy" as I called it…it just kept running and running with flawless effort.
    I just want to leave all of you potential Integra owners out there with this, "you will never find another little car on the market today that will give you the total package of reliability, performance, pleasure, and durability that the Acura Integra delivers." The lucky owners of these great marvels of engineering know exactly what I'm talking about! Enjoy your Integras!!

my opinion!!:^)
    That was a good one owncav01
    Here's another question regarding buying an Integra... Which accessories are actually useful/important? So far I'm fairly certain I want wheel locks, splash guards, foglights, floormats, and theft deterrent system (mainly for the keyless entry, but the dealer is trying to sell me on lojack by tellin me it'll cut my insurance down, which is DEFINITELY something I need *sigh*). Anywaaaays, are there any other accessories I should get installed by the dealer when I get the car or am I all set?
    roadroach: When did we ever agree on anything? :)
    Just kidding. Yes the Celica GT-S would be a good comparison to the GSR but when you look at the prices the GSR is hard to resist.
    At www.carsdirect.com right you can get the GSR for $19,580!!! That's over $800 under dealer invoice. (I paid $19,898 for a new '99 through carsdirect, that was the final price before tax)
    A stripped Celica goes for $20,150. Add ABS, sunroof, leather & spoiler to match the GSR's standard features and it comes out to $22,244!
    That's over a $2,600 difference. It's actually more if you count an estimated $200 tax you have to pay to uncle Sam.
    Buy the GSR and then bank that money minus half for mods and you have a faster and better handling car or leave it alone and you can give Celicas a good run for their money.. Don't foget, the GSR has the largest performance aftermarket at its disposal.
    But it's all personal preference and looks are subjective. I personally don't fit well in the Celica GT-S because most of them come with sunroofs from the factory and don't like its styling that much. I only have 1/2" of headroom left in my GSR and less than that in the GT-S.
    As far as accessories go, my dealer threw in the floor mats and the wheel locks, I didn't even have to ask. They said they do it with everyone and it was their policy but then again they 're a "precision" dealer or something like that. There are only 6-7 dealerships in the country that have earned that title from Acura.
    If you have your heart set on a security system then go with aftermarket ones. They 'll be cheaper and better but if a thief wants your car, that won't stop him. I didn't get one for that reason. I use the CLUB. My dealer said they don't install security alarms in Integras and most dealerships send them out to other shops to have this done.. As far as splash guards I probably should 've gotten them but I don't think Integras look good with them on.
    Sorry for the long post..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    I 'm hoping to get 240K mi. out my Civic some day but they way I beat on it, I doubt it :-)
    Not to be picky or anything but g1 Integras had 118hp. My friend had an '88 red LS too. I loved that car. He 'd let me drive it often. When it came out in '86 there was nothing like it in its class. Even the Prelude Si didn't have a 16V engine at the time, it was a 12 valve. What was shocking to us then, was how easy the Integra rev'd all the way to redline. I had driven Mazda 626's, Civics and Accords at the time (plus all kinds of American cars) and you couldn't go near redline without thinking the car was going to blow up.. The G1 Integra was smooth and quick to rev and also had a higher redline than most cars (6200 I think?). That plus decent handling made it fun to drive. It was also very quite on the highway, unlike G2 and G3 Integras.
    I remember getting in to my friend's LS and turning the key while the engine was running! I did this on several occasions because you could barely hear the engine running from inside the cabin. You had to be real quite and listen for it and even then! Also there was not a single vibration inside at idle. Only if you touched the shift knob you could tell it was running. Great car.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    FYI I got quoted a price of $20.7k for a '00 GSR with all the accessories I listed, which he said came out to over $24k MSRP. FYI, that was with a lojack system, not the standard alarm system. I know they aren't terribly useful and more a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], but I want the keyless entry and the insurance discount (I need it.. I think my insurance will be near $4k, ugh). The best part is they have one in the color I want at the dealership, as opposed to the other dealership which would've had to order one. Now if only my company's stock would stop correcting....
    Jalper12:
    Don't the 2000 Integras come with immobilizer as standard equipment? Keyless entry/alarm would be about $150 at the dealer.
  • owncav01owncav01 Member Posts: 4
    only1harry, 118hp is the accurate power rating...
    Thanks for the correction! As for your Civic, just
    change the oil regularly and it will last over 200k, no problem. There were several times where I redlined my 88' Integra until the rev limiter kicked in (red line was at 6400rpm) and it forgave me everytime!! Try that with a GM or Ford engine and you may have to pull over, walk back a 1\4 mile and pick up all the pieces that blew through the oil pan!!
    Honda engines typically start to burn oil after 150k (what engine wouldn't) but still run with a fluid, solid, smoothness they are known for. It's not uncommon for a Honda\Acura owner getting 200k+ out of them.
    At 240k, my 1.6ltr still had that very quiet, "can't tell if it's still running " idle you were talking about only1harry!! :^)

I have always admired the Honda engine engineers for designing normally aspired motors to achieve their full operational power and potential without adding turbos or superchargers which both degrade the reliability and life of the engine significantly.

Well designed, well built, strong and trustworthy, know wonder they last so long..
    VTEC engine technology is a true masterpiece!!

robertsmx: enjoy your Accord and Prelude, great cars, and I hope you get the NSX soon!
    robertsmx, yeah, immobilizer is standard. like I said, the two things I'm looking to get out of an alarm system are 1) keyless entry and 2) insurance cut. I don't mind paying a few hundred extra up front on the car to get a discount on my insurance. I'm 19 and have 3 tickets and 1 accident in the past 2.5yrs, not to mention I live in Boston. And now I'm going and buying a car like this... my insurance company is gunna love me :) Ah well.
    Another way to slightly cut insurance is looking for sedan version instead of coupe. You can get Integra sedan in LS/GS as well as GS-R trim levels. How much is Low Jack costing you? If it is not worth it, how about also taking a defensive driving school lessons. A friend of mine has sent three repair bills to GEICO and has had one speeding ticket (45 mph in 30 mph zone), took defensive driving lessons (to remove the speeding ticket points) and is paying $102/month (includes $3 monthly processing fee). He is 26 years old though, unmarried, in Dallas county (well, rates are higher in this part also!).
    Unfortunately I can't stand the colors on the GS-R sedan trim. Hm, I'll have to look into the driving lessons. Anyone know if they work the same way in Mass? I'm not sure how much Low Jack was costing, haven't gotten the actual price breakdown from the dealer yet, but I was quoted $20.7k for the GS-R with options that put the car at just over $24k MSRP.
    That's a pretty good price for the car including Lojack. Most people I know have paid $600-900 for it. You 're definetly getting the GSR for under $20K if you count all the other options you mentioned.
    Holy cow! I just went to the Edmund's section of REBATES & INCENTIVES (because I got suspicious of the good price you 're getting) and there is a $2,000 dealer incentive for all Integras!! I 've never seen it this high. When I bought my car it was only $1K.
    Go back to the dealer and tell him his cost is only $18,400 and ask him to drop it another $500.
    There is also 4.9% financing but you 'll probably never get it. They 'll tell you you're too young and don't have enough credit and you 're getting a good deal on the car, blah blah. They almost never give out these good rates because they make less money off the interest.
    Let us know how you make out.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    woops, wish i'd checked back here before buying. oh well, whats a few hundred bucks :) Anywaaaaaays, yeah, I bought the car, picked it up last night. my god its awesome! so much fun to drive. just a tiny bit faster than my previous car.. a '95 civic dx ;) anyways, thanks for all the helps everyone!
This discussion has been closed.