Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    benisem:

Congratulations on your new Cat. Don't be bashful though. Bring her right back to the dealership and have them resolve your engine light concerns.

Don't forget that most Cougar discussions take place here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Clubs&t=8&q=*
  • Hi all, I bought my Cougar last Aug, a dark green loaded V6, I love it!! I recently had to take it back to the dealership and just wanted to give everyone a heads up....I was experiencing the following...most everytime I would let off the accelerater the rpms would go extremely high, even when I was braking this would happen...this was a noted problem on some Cougars, as I found on the recalls and defects web site....but the problem they listed was different then what the dealership was saying....to say the least if anyone is having the same problem please take your car in....mine started about 7 months after I bought it...just something to watch for...also the cupholder in the front...watch it if you have a large cup and are turning left...I have had several glasses spill into my lap...the cougar is a great car none the less.....must get a 5 speed though...only way to drive one!!
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Chitchcock:

Glad you're loving your Cat! I take it they fixed the revving problem?

Thanks for sharing. Also, we've been talking about the cupholder design in the Cougar Support Group (located here in Edmunds.com Town Hall in the Clubs conference http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Clubs&t=8&q=*) enough for them to recognize the poor design and do something about it for the late 2K models and I believe they've redesigned it for the 2001's too.

Join us over in the CSG, we'll keep an eye out for you.
  • I have a 1999 cougar and have major problems from the beginning.
    1.) the trunk latch would not work. I took them a year to finally figure it out.
    2.) The door seals leaked.
    3.) I have had new brakes and it needs rotors, but you can't get them until September.
    4.) Tie rod went.
    5.) needs new struts.

What else????
    All I can say is this car has been a pain. I loved my 1992 cougar, but I think I will go back to GM products!
  • Sup..... im 15, so my budjet is kida low, im gettin ready to take Drivers ed, and for the past year ive been settin goals, but is wasent till recently that i came across the Cougar,once i saw it i was inlove, and the 99 model is somewhat in my price range,(suposing i save $150 every 2 weeks for like 8 months) but anyway by the time i get my 50 hours in and get my lisens ill have enough, what i want to know is, is the 99 v6 cougar good for a first car, of course im not goin to get a new, im goin to get a used, but still, what do you tink????,
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    New or used, the Cougar is a great car. Are you planning on getting an ATX or an MTX? There is a big difference.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I think the Cougar is a great car. But, not for a first car. The car is safe and reliable, but I would be very hesitant to let my child(if I had on) drive a car like this(fast, fast looking and great handling). These all adds up to one thing......TROUBLE. I see lots of teenagers in my area and they drive CRAZY. Give them a sports car and it only increases the risk. When I was 16 I was the same way. Thats why I had a 1980 Toyota Corolla(top speed 85mph). Sure, I wanted a sporty car, but I never got one. My Dad always said, "you will have plenty of new cars in your lifetime". He was right!!!!

I am really not trying to lecture, but I just think a bigger and SLOWER car is more practical. If you end up getting a Cougar though, enjoy it.

Also, I would recommend using spellcheck on your next post. ;-)
    Hey if I was 16 and could get a Cougar, I would go for it!!! I might not be alive today to talk about it, but I sure would have had a ton of fun!!

Peace Out!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I totally agree!!! and think of all the girls I could of gotten......only kidding ;-)
    Chicks galore!!!

LOL!

>8-)
  • Answer to # 408 & 409.
    My daughter and I purchased a new Cougar in June.
    About 2200 mile later she had a blinking engine light come on for the first time of four occurances in a two week period of time. According to the manual this is more serious that a engine light that stays on. The blinking light is due to misfiring in the engine and it can cause damage to catalytic convertor and may lead to overheating in the floor board and may cause fires. The second time it happen the engine cut off while going done a hill and she didn't have brakes. This cause an accident with a loading dock and $800.00 damage. the fourth times she lost power while traveling 70 MPH. on a freeway. Four trips to the Ford dealer has produced nothing except that everything is fine and they can't find any problems. Have asked Ford for a representative to look at it but they have been unable to do that until the representative is in the area
    (Columbia/Spartanburg SC ). Has anyone else
    experienced the same problems and received the none help from Ford.
  • My daughter and I purchased a new Cougar in June.
    About 2200 mile later she has had a blinking engine light. According to the manual this is more
    serious that a engine light that stays on. The
    blinking light is due to misfiring in the engine
    and it can cause damage to catalytic convertor and
    may lead to overheating in the floor board and may
    cause fires. The second time it happen the engine
    cut off while going down a hill and she didn't have any brakes. This caused an accident with a loading dock and $800.00 damage. The fourth times she lost power while traveling 70 MPH. on a freeway. Four rips to the Ford dealer has produced nothing except that everything is fine and they can't find any problems. Have asked Ford for a representative to look at it but they have been unable to do that until the representative is in the area (Columbia/Spartanburg SC ). Has anyone else experienced the same problem and the none help from Ford.

Thank You
  • Is anyone else out there having problems with their stereo in their new Mercury Cougar? I purchased my V6 in April '99 and opted to add the cassette/CD player in my car (factory direct). It looks like I'll be replacing it for the 3rd time shortly!!! The music is jumping from one speaker to the next. Sound crazy? Not crazy, just driving me crazy!
    You will find the Cougar Support Group the best place to discuss any of your concerns about your New Edge Cougar. There are several Topics that you may want to participate in, as well as thousands of other messages in previously "frozen" Topics. Click here to see the current choices:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Clubs&Z=TUGADCt19rRIHBw7E1fItXNEhEz1EjyZ
  •  ?Note to Benisem: This may be the same problem you are having.

Well the blinking light came on two more times once when going to Columbia SC from
    Spartanburg SC and a second time on the return trip. Only this time the light did stay on the way
    back the way Benisem in #408 did. When she reached the dealer’s shop it was still on and they
    found 2 parts that were causing a problem, one I believe is the oxygen sensor and one that
    controls the firing of the spark plugs. They said this was causing only half of the engine to work.
    We will see when they put the parts in.

Blane: I have found out through this experience that the customer support group is good to talk to
    but that is all they can do is talk because they have no power except to refer problems to
    somewhere else in the Ford organization.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Friends, post #422 above is hidden because it contains a link that skews our screen size. To read it, just click on "Hidden." Thanks!

carlady/host
    joesenior:
    I believe Blane was referring you to the "Cougar Support Group" which is NOT run by Ford. It is an owners club that exists here in Edmunds. We have a great many owners in our club and we also have the attention of the Cougar Brand Marketing Manager who really does help us out with our problems. Check us out when you get a chance.
  • Blane may have actually been talking aboutthe Ford Customer Service line which will get you somebody to talk to, but little real action in solving problems.

Remember our long waits for delivery of our cars?
    Wasn't untill we got the E-mail addy of the executives in Ca. that anything started to happen, and some information started to flow.

Skip G.
  • Joesenior - I took my car to the dealer for its new catalytic converter, and the day before I took her, my check engine light finally went out. I believe my problem was from a loose gas cap. I hope all works out.

~Denise
    gustafsc:

Badulah was correct. I was refering to the CSG in Edmunds'Townhall.
  • Sorry, I got so confused. Must have had a senior moment there :-)

Skip G.
    gustafsc:

Then, since we are of similar vintage, we are victims of creeping CRS.
  • Never mind.

I remembered what it means, just took a while.

(That any better mzn?)

Skip G.
  • After I wrote a letter of complaint to Mr. Nassser President & CEO, Mr. Ford the Chairman of the Board and some of the Vice Presidents of Ford and with the help of dealer,Vic Bailey Lincoln & Mercury in Spartenburg, SC, Ford bought back our original car and we purchased another new Cougar that is working fine. Vic Bailey's dealership has tried various parts but the problem still exist and according to one of the executives that I talked to at Ford they are bringing the car back to Dearborn to have the engineers try to figure out what is causing the problem so that if it occurs again they may know how to fix it. Thank all of you for your comments and directions. They were helpful.
  • my sister is 19 and she has a 93 toyota celica GT and she kind of had an accident when she ran a red light and hit a firebird. Her car is driveable but the front end is still really bent up. She is working to get it fixed at the moment at her job at Hooters at which she works really hard. The other day two car salesmen of Don Davis Mercury (ect...) came in, knowing that she drove a wrecked celica told her to come by and look at the new cougars.Well she decided to and they said that since she was such a good waitress that they would bring the price on a new cougar down from 17,995 to only 12,995. And they said that they would take care of the celica. Well thinking that since she a sweet airhead girl not knowing didly squat about cars and scams that they could make a couple of thousand dollars off her. They said that they would take care of the celica but what they didn't tell her is what she finally noticed!! They were going to "take care" of her car and add the price of the celica to the 12,995 so she would still get off with an 18,000 dollar car and what i have heard from all of you an 18,000 peice!!! well i think that they are cute but a peice of crap and a rip off!!!!!!!!! thank you for listening
    Fish:

Got me ...
    Wasn't there a full moon the other night?
    I think there must have been. Because if the only thing that person got out of our discussions is the bad stuff, they must've had their warning sensors set to sensitive. Oh well, I guess I'm just happy driving an "18,000 piece" ... of fine American Automotive Machinery! :^)

*In my book, the positives about this car FAR outweigh the negatives.
This discussion has been closed.