Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• joeseniorjoesenior Member Posts: 6
    Answer to # 408 & 409.
    My daughter and I purchased a new Cougar in June.
    About 2200 mile later she had a blinking engine light come on for the first time of four occurances in a two week period of time. According to the manual this is more serious that a engine light that stays on. The blinking light is due to misfiring in the engine and it can cause damage to catalytic convertor and may lead to overheating in the floor board and may cause fires. The second time it happen the engine cut off while going done a hill and she didn't have brakes. This cause an accident with a loading dock and $800.00 damage. the fourth times she lost power while traveling 70 MPH. on a freeway. Four trips to the Ford dealer has produced nothing except that everything is fine and they can't find any problems. Have asked Ford for a representative to look at it but they have been unable to do that until the representative is in the area
    (Columbia/Spartanburg SC ). Has anyone else
    experienced the same problems and received the none help from Ford.
    My daughter and I purchased a new Cougar in June.
    About 2200 mile later she has had a blinking engine light. According to the manual this is more
    serious that a engine light that stays on. The
    blinking light is due to misfiring in the engine
    and it can cause damage to catalytic convertor and
    may lead to overheating in the floor board and may
    cause fires. The second time it happen the engine
    cut off while going down a hill and she didn't have any brakes. This caused an accident with a loading dock and $800.00 damage. The fourth times she lost power while traveling 70 MPH. on a freeway. Four rips to the Ford dealer has produced nothing except that everything is fine and they can't find any problems. Have asked Ford for a representative to look at it but they have been unable to do that until the representative is in the area (Columbia/Spartanburg SC ). Has anyone else experienced the same problem and the none help from Ford.

Thank You
  • scotland1scotland1 Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else out there having problems with their stereo in their new Mercury Cougar? I purchased my V6 in April '99 and opted to add the cassette/CD player in my car (factory direct). It looks like I'll be replacing it for the 3rd time shortly!!! The music is jumping from one speaker to the next. Sound crazy? Not crazy, just driving me crazy!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You will find the Cougar Support Group the best place to discuss any of your concerns about your New Edge Cougar. There are several Topics that you may want to participate in, as well as thousands of other messages in previously "frozen" Topics. Click here to see the current choices:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Clubs&Z=TUGADCt19rRIHBw7E1fItXNEhEz1EjyZ
     ?Note to Benisem: This may be the same problem you are having.

Well the blinking light came on two more times once when going to Columbia SC from
    Spartanburg SC and a second time on the return trip. Only this time the light did stay on the way
    back the way Benisem in #408 did. When she reached the dealer’s shop it was still on and they
    found 2 parts that were causing a problem, one I believe is the oxygen sensor and one that
    controls the firing of the spark plugs. They said this was causing only half of the engine to work.
    We will see when they put the parts in.

Blane: I have found out through this experience that the customer support group is good to talk to
    but that is all they can do is talk because they have no power except to refer problems to
    somewhere else in the Ford organization.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Friends, post #422 above is hidden because it contains a link that skews our screen size. To read it, just click on "Hidden." Thanks!

carlady/host
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    joesenior:
    I believe Blane was referring you to the "Cougar Support Group" which is NOT run by Ford. It is an owners club that exists here in Edmunds. We have a great many owners in our club and we also have the attention of the Cougar Brand Marketing Manager who really does help us out with our problems. Check us out when you get a chance.
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Blane may have actually been talking aboutthe Ford Customer Service line which will get you somebody to talk to, but little real action in solving problems.

Remember our long waits for delivery of our cars?
    Wasn't untill we got the E-mail addy of the executives in Ca. that anything started to happen, and some information started to flow.

Skip G.
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Joesenior - I took my car to the dealer for its new catalytic converter, and the day before I took her, my check engine light finally went out. I believe my problem was from a loose gas cap. I hope all works out.

~Denise
    gustafsc:

Badulah was correct. I was refering to the CSG in Edmunds'Townhall.
    Sorry, I got so confused. Must have had a senior moment there :-)

Skip G.
    gustafsc:

Then, since we are of similar vintage, we are victims of creeping CRS.
    CRS?

Skip G.
    Never mind.

I remembered what it means, just took a while.

(That any better mzn?)

Skip G.
    After I wrote a letter of complaint to Mr. Nassser President & CEO, Mr. Ford the Chairman of the Board and some of the Vice Presidents of Ford and with the help of dealer,Vic Bailey Lincoln & Mercury in Spartenburg, SC, Ford bought back our original car and we purchased another new Cougar that is working fine. Vic Bailey's dealership has tried various parts but the problem still exist and according to one of the executives that I talked to at Ford they are bringing the car back to Dearborn to have the engineers try to figure out what is causing the problem so that if it occurs again they may know how to fix it. Thank all of you for your comments and directions. They were helpful.
  • 41688044168804 Member Posts: 1
    my sister is 19 and she has a 93 toyota celica GT and she kind of had an accident when she ran a red light and hit a firebird. Her car is driveable but the front end is still really bent up. She is working to get it fixed at the moment at her job at Hooters at which she works really hard. The other day two car salesmen of Don Davis Mercury (ect...) came in, knowing that she drove a wrecked celica told her to come by and look at the new cougars.Well she decided to and they said that since she was such a good waitress that they would bring the price on a new cougar down from 17,995 to only 12,995. And they said that they would take care of the celica. Well thinking that since she a sweet airhead girl not knowing didly squat about cars and scams that they could make a couple of thousand dollars off her. They said that they would take care of the celica but what they didn't tell her is what she finally noticed!! They were going to "take care" of her car and add the price of the celica to the 12,995 so she would still get off with an 18,000 dollar car and what i have heard from all of you an 18,000 peice!!! well i think that they are cute but a peice of crap and a rip off!!!!!!!!! thank you for listening
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    ?
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Fish:

Got me ...
    Wasn't there a full moon the other night?
    I think there must have been. Because if the only thing that person got out of our discussions is the bad stuff, they must've had their warning sensors set to sensitive. Oh well, I guess I'm just happy driving an "18,000 piece" ... of fine American Automotive Machinery! :^)

*In my book, the positives about this car FAR outweigh the negatives.
    He wasn't writing about our "$18,000 piece". Note that he was actually referring to an "$18,000 peice".
  • coolgarcoolgar Member Posts: 1
    I Own a 99 Cougar Special Edition V-6 ATX. I Have 16,000 Miles On it. I Really Like The Car, But mine Has Had a ton of problems. Had the grinding Brakes Had My rotors resurfaced two times and pads replaced twice until dealer found out about service bulletin. My hatch would not open had the springs replaced 3 times.Still does not open sometimes when the car is running.The ignition buzzes when the key is out of the car. The Water temp light comes on and off occasionally. The car smells like burnt oil and driving 10 miles.Lot of Ford owners say they are having this problem.My check engine light is came on.Had it serviced and came on again and dealer could not find the cause spent 2 days in service for nothing. Then disappeared one day. My dashboard has numerous rattles. I am averaging about 17 miles to the gallon.The saddest part of this is my cougar was pulled off the assembly line and given quality audit before shipping.The V-6 is boat anchor and still is slow to rev and is the slows V6 around.Only way to fix this car is to pull off the body and drive a honda underneath.I would not not recommend anyone buying a Cougar until Ford improves their Quality.
    Sorry about your problems with your Cougar. If I were you I would look into the lemon law in your state. Unfortunetly, the '99 models had some teething problems since it was a new model. I have experienced some problems with my '99 such as: AC, rear hatch and NUMEROUS rattles and noises from the dash area and hatch. I still love my car, but it does get frustrating at the many quality isses with the Cougar. This is my second american car and it is my opinion that american car companies still are not on par with the japanese(Honda and Toyota)in terms of quality control. Though, they are getting better.

I wish you luck with getting your problems fixed!!!!
    Just to counterbalance the discussion, and not to diminish anybodies concerns, I've had my cat since 12/98, and have only had the hatch release problem, coolant light (level fill), A/C low charge, and the early lumbar support break. All easily correctable, and done under warranty with no hassle. The above items are no longer endemic as there's service bulletins out, and the factory has fixed for production units.

As far as operation, it's been excellent. No brake grinding/squeal, no stray warning lights (although the snowflake threw me for a bit until I read the manual), starts like a champ in cold weather, gets about 20-21 to the gal. in town, and 28/29 on the interstates @ 75-80mph. Plenty of getup and go too, so performance hasn't been an issue for me (although I'd like to have had to SVT engine as an option).

The car looks great, drives great, and has generally been a pleasure to own (just made the last payment, so I actually own it).

So, for those reading these forums, and considering the Cougar, my experience has been generally good, and on par to the 3 (4 counting the Civic my son drove) imports that I've owned. Come to think about it, that covers all 4 major Japanese companies. The cat made me come back to the US, and I hav'nt been sorry at all.

Skip G. (wiping sentimental tear from eye ;^)
    [pats Skip on the back]

It's nice to know we all don't have complaints! :^D
  • phattcattphattcatt Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I am new to this post board so I hope I am doing this right! Anyway, I just bought a '99 Cougar. It had 32,000 miles and in pretty good shape. The owner's manual had been removed from the car before my purchase so I am at a loss with all the dash board controls and message light meanings. Particularly, the overhead panel lights! SkipG was kind enough to explain the red and yellow snowflakes to me and told me about this message board. I was wondering if anyone out there could explain to me why the wrench is lit up and what in the heck the circle with an (!) in the middle of it, is. I hope I am explaining this so it is understandable! I guess my best bet would be to find an owner's manual. Does anyone know where I can get one? Well, thanks to everyone!
    Phattcatt:
    The Wrench: "Service Intervals:
    Illuminates after approximately 7,700km (4,800 miles) or 358 days to indicate that routine service should be performed. Check your maintenance schedule to determine the routine service to be completed. Routine service should be performed by an authorized Ford Dealer. The light should be switched off by your Ford dealer after completing the service.

To reset the light, hold the SELECT and UNITS buttons on the trip computer for 5 seconds. The service interval light will be illuminated and then extinguish after approximately 4 seconds."

Yellow Snow Flake: "Frost Warning:
    Illuminates when ambient air temperatures are between 0c (32F) and 4c (39F). The yellow sign warns of possible ice on the roads."

Red Snow Flake: "Danger Of Ice Warning:
    Illuminates when 0c (32F) and below. The red sign warns of an increased danger if icy roads.

The absence of a light in cold temperatures does not necessarily mean that there is o risk of ice on the roads. Caution should be exercised when weather conditions indicate that ice may be present. Even if the air temperature rises to above +4c (39F) it is no guarantee that the roads are free of ice"

! in a circle: "Break Pad Wear Warning:
    Indicates that the pads of the front or rear breaks may be worn. Have the break pads checked immediately and replaced if necessary."

Water spout looking sign: "Washer Fluid Warning:
    Indicates that the washer fluid reservoir is low. Refill as soon as possible. If a valid signal is received, the light will remain on until the ignition is cycled."

Overhead view of car with doors open: "Door Ajar:
    Illuminates when the ignition is switched on and any door or liftgate is open."

! inside circle with lines beaming out of it: "Bulb Failure:
    Indicates the failure of an exterior bulb. The light stays illuminated until the break pedal is depressed after starting the engine.

Refer to bulb replacement in the Maintenance and Repair Chapter."

Hopefully that will help you out. You might want to go to your local Mercury or Ford Dealership and order a manual from the parts department.

Also, be sure to stop by the Cougar Support Group. Our posting boards are located here in Edmunds.com in the Owners Club Section of the Town Hall. We also have a web site with tons of great Cougar related information: www.cougarsupportgroup.com
    badulah: Your too helpful to our new guests!! ;-)
    Hey, it's my job, it's what I do!!

8-)
  • camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    And a fine job you do. Keep up the good work :)
  • cougar0401cougar0401 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I am new here, so please bear with me.

I just purchased in July'00, the 2000 Special Edition Mercury Cougar in "Zink Yellow". It is a great car, V-6, leather, special embrodered headrests and floor mats, 6 disk in dash CD Player,Yellow Cougar center caps on the 16 inch aluminum wheels, special spoiler,electric moonroof, and lots more.

My questions is this: I was told at the dealership that there were only 510 of these cars made in this color in America, and that each state got 10, and Hawaii and Alaska each got 5.

Is this true? I can not confirm that anywhere. I have searched the web to no prevail, and I have seen another car like mine around town, which makes me wonder a bit. I love the car no matter what, but I need to know if the info, I got from the dealer is true, or if I am making a fool of myself telling the story to everyone who asks about the car...( Which is pretty much everywhere I go now. People cant stop looking and asking me about the car everyday!!!)

Anyway, any help from anyone, I would greatly appreciate.
    res0401@msn.com
    Thanks a Million,
    Cougar lover
  • tiggertail9tiggertail9 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the group but I wanted to let everyone know that my 99 Cougar has over 50K mi and it still runs great! I had to have my radio replaced and the trim piece where the air blows on the winshield keeps popping out of the dash but those are the only serious problems that I have had other than with tire blowouts. (that is a firestone problem).

Love the new body kits and spoilers but wouldn't know where to have the additions added onto the car? Anyone have a suggestion?
    You both need to join the Cougar Support Group in the Owners Section of Town Hall. There is a great group of people over there that will surely answer all your questions.
    cougar0401:
    My contact on the Cougar team at FMC said that a total of 850 were made. The original plan was for only 500, but they changed the production numbers.
  • cougar0401cougar0401 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the Cougar Support Group, but I have been unable to find my answers in regards to the '00 Zinc Yellow Cougar. Is there anyone out there who owns one, or knows about them? I am really interested. Also, is there a web sight that shows accessories for the Cougar? Thanks.

RES0401@msn.com
    cougar0401:
    Here are several sites that might help:
    www.CougarSupportGroup.com
    www.mercuryvehicles.com

If you post a question to "MWS0520" in the CSG, he will get back to you with the answers. He is the Cougar Brand Manager and is always very helpful.

Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
    CSG Caretaker
    Another place to go for information and links is the NECO (New Edge Cougar Owners)
    at newcougar.org

Skip G.
  • elmacelmac Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I love our 2000 Cougar... except for one thing: The stereo likes to play musical speakers... sometimes they all work, sometimes the left, sometimes the right. You go over a dump, you loose one, go over another and it comes back on. In the year I've been looking at Town Hall messages, have seen others disgruntled owners... is there a cure? Should be covered under warranty, right?

Elmac
  • jsadamsjsadams Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Cougar has been the least reliable car I've ever owned - and I've owned several! I've just started reading thru some of the problem listed in here and find that I'm not the only one.

My car turned 2 year old in Nov 2000 and has had the following problems so far:
    - Front brakes squealing (got a free brake job).
    - Loud groaning noise from rear brakes when backing up.
    - Hatchback latch and lifters.
    and the worst, most frustrating problem of all:
    - Engine light flashing/staying on and very rough running at all speeds. This started happening in July 2000 continues, even after about 10 trips to the dealer. There are no codes - even when the light is on! I had a tune-up with new wires - no luck. I drove with a data recorder - all it showed was misfire. They reprogrammed the computer - again no luck. They have no idea what it is. They said to bring it in when it's happening but, even though it happens all the time, it stops when I get within 1/2 mile of the dealer! I'm worried about the catalytic converter (tailpipe is black) and other parts being damaged by the misfiring. Does anybody have any ideas that might help? I can't even sell the car when it's like this.
  • dmrobdmrob Member Posts: 1
    In reading messages on the '99 Cougar, and see I'm not alone. Dealer's keep telling me the car is fine. The car will be two years old in May - it acts possessed.

I too have the radio that switches speakers on a whim. Though this can be annoying at times, it's been the least of the issues.

The car has been in service three times since the beginning of the year. I took the car in primarily for the Check Engine light that goes on and off regularly, and for problems with the speedometer. The secondary reason was for a break check (They seemed more grinding than usual). The dealer had told me on a prior visit that the noise was normal for the anti-lock breaks.

My break system needed to be replaced ($450), but nothing could be found with the engine. I was advised to bring the car in when the problem was occurring. The next time the problem started I went right to the dealer, and was told the problems were due to the speed sensors. The speed sensors were replaced ($100). The engine light is back on, the car bucks and the speedometer still doesn't work, and no one can figure out why.

The car isn't even two years old and I'm thinking of taking a loss and replacing it, which is too bad because I love the way it looks.
  • suz12suz12 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 1999 cougar V6 automatic, everything is great but ever since I got the car 2 years ago it has an awful "rotten egg" smell when you push rev the engine up and then slow down to stop. I have taken it to the dealer but they say it is nothing, I was just wondering if anyone else's car smells the same ever?
    For answers to some of your questions, along with much advice, go over to the owners club forum, and check in with the C.S.G. (Cougar support group). It started out when the Cougar was new, and a lot of us needed moral suppport during our long waits after placing orders. It has since grown into an active enthusiasts club, with members all over the country, and, best of all, contact with the Cougar Brand Manager (MWS0520). When push really comes to shove, he'll put in a word, and stuff happens!!!!

See ya there! ;-)

Skip G.
  • crightocrighto Member Posts: 5
    Is there a problem with 1999 Cougar transmissions or am I the lucky one?? I have lost all the forward gears.
    Never heard of any real problems with the trans. You should check in with the "Cougar Support Group". They are located in the Owners section of Edmunds "Town Hall". There are Cougar owners from all over the country and Canada in there. They may be able to help you out better than this topic.

There hasn't been much activity in here for quite some time.
  • crightocrighto Member Posts: 5
    Thank you from the location.
  • ouisamouisam Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I am a student and I was recently in the market for a good car lease. As soon as I saw the Cougar, I loved it. I knew it was the car I wanted, but I would like to know your advice. Here are my needs:

1- Good Fuel Economy
    2- Good Safety
    3- Nice Looks (I know it has those)
    4- Little maintainance problems

As I am a new driver, I am not particularly interested in racing. Actually I am getting the automatic model and I don't race or drive crazy.

I appreciate if you could tell me how good the Cougar is in the above 4 points and if it is the right car for me (forget price).

Thanks in advance
    ouisam:

1. Fuel economy with my V6 and 5-speed is in the low 20's generally. On long highway trips I've gotten up to 29 MPG. The automatic should provide slighly fewer MPG. The I4 possibly sightly more.

2. Safety should not be a concern, especially if you order side impact airbags, four-wheel disk brakes and traction control. The vehicle has Contour/Mystique/Mondeo (European version) underpinnings that are well proven.

3. Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. I've gotten only complements from anyone looking at my Cougar.

4. Maintenance should be no worse than the Contour/Mystique. They have proven very reliable.

You will find a wide range of discussions about the New Edge Cougar in the Cougar Support Group in the Owners Section of Edmunds Town Hall.
    I was considering the purchase of a low mileage used Cougar.. Are there any diffrences between the 1999 and 2000 models?

Thnx
    Also,

Are there any diffrences between 2000 and 2001?

Thnx
    Ouisam:
    There are a few interior and exterior differences, but no mechanical differences.

You really should check out the Cougar Support Group (CSG) which is located right here in Edmunds. Just go to the "Owners Clubs" section and click on "Cougar Support Group". We have members from all over the country (and Canada too!!) who would be more than willing to help you out with your questions.

Be sure to check us out when you get a chance.
This discussion has been closed.