Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Bug Reborn!

Comments

• Options
    PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    Has anyone noticed that there is not one single mention of the "New Beetle" name on the car?? This must be the only car or truck made today this way. I guess that's because one could be vision compromised, across a football field on a foggy day . . and you'd still immediately know which car this was. Pretty classy that VW decided to lay low on this. Had my good buddy drive the NB today here in San Fran. . . thought the car was grossly underpriced. Pete
  • Options
    DanaRDanaR Member Posts: 37
    Dana's rating of the Beetle's colors:

1. bright blue - brings out the biggest smile in me. fresh-looking.
    2. white - brings out the car's style, and is easy to maintain.
    3. yellow - makes the car cuter -- maybe too much so for me.
    4. red - a bit of a disappointment, just okay.
    5. black - looks sharp when new but will degrade quickly if not maintained.

not yet rated:
    6. silver, dark blue and green. haven't seen any of these yet. Has anybody seen these - if so, please give your impressions. Thanks.
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Our local VW dealer got their first allotment, 1 car. Which they are not selling, only for demo purposes. They're so small that they only get an allotment of 1 per month. Fortunately, the total allotment for next month belongs to me (1 bright blue TDI with tan interior. The first few days that they had the car displayed in front of the dealership they virtually had waiting lines to test drive it. I didn't see anyone going away unhappy. Local paper wanted to do a feature on it but the dealer requested not to. Didn't know what to do with the people they already had. Dealer complained to factory rep that VW " finally gives them a car they can sell with their eyes closed and they won't give them any. 3 weeks till mine arrives. Can't wait.
  • Options
    I returned home to LA yesterday . . having my first 1000 miles on the NB. Terrific trip. Picked up about 23 mpg while in SF . . and only 25.8 to 27 mpg on the road. Automatic trans.. Ran incredibly well ........ engine runs at high rpm on the freeway, but very quiet . . no buzz, no vibration. By the way, there is this major ad campaign in SF. Very, very saturated . .bill boards, bus signs . . . This is a wonderful car . . on any level. Pete
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Another satisfied customer! I love it!
  • Options
    kchanuskchanus Member Posts: 27
    Hi, everyone. I have been following the new beetle since the new concept one in 94. Yesterday, I finally saw a blue one on the road. The paint looks great. I just can't wait for a test drive.
  • Options
    tdubtdub Member Posts: 2
    Stopped at a VW dealership yesterday on way home from food shopping to see the new Bug on display. My wife was so enamored with the car that we bought one that just happened to be available at the port for delivery within 10 days. Unfortunately, we were unable to drive a demo, but the dealer agreed to make the sale subject to a test drive prior to delivery. Both my wife and I owned Beetles and must say that we were quite impressed with the quality and styling of the car. My main concern is the engine. Is it sufficiently powerful so that you do not loose speed going up-hill for instance. As priced the Bug seems reasonable, but the extra expense for the 150 HP engine, sunroof and ABS would bring the price to a level that may not be warranted for the intended purpose of the car i.e. a third car for around town fun and nostalgia. Of course, others may feel differently especially if the car will be the primary means of transportation. I also do not like to buy a car in its first year, but somehow i feel that VW is really getting its act together and this Bug will be quite relaibble. Would appreciate objective observations on the power of this car with the 2.0 engine and the front seats vis a vis the long extended dash. Thanks.
  • Options
    TDeanTDean Member Posts: 1
    Ordered a silver, with black leatherette waited three weeks, for delivery and then decided it is just too small. And the dash and mirror are visual burden. However, I drove a black, 5 speed and loved the pick-up, suspension and handling are great, clutch and shifting fine too, not spongy like the golf. In the end the SUV's drove me from my dream car, I don't want to die like that. I am a chick
  • Options
    Hi . . . 90210 Pete here. Trip back and forth to San Fran from LA. Major climb on the 5 Freeway through the grapevine, up to 6000 miles. I have the 2.0 gas engine . .with the adaptive transmission. I also have an order for the turbocharged 1.8 which I shall cancel. The standard engine is a gem, the adaptive transmission knows what I want before I do. This is a third car for me. Works PERFECTLY. Not one complaint. Not a rattle so far. I think you'll be very happy. Incidently my first car was a '70 bug given to me upon graduation from undergrad. school. Enjoy!!! Pete
  • Options
    On the previous post . . in the sentence " Major climb on the 5 Freeway
    through the grapevine, up to 6000 miles.", what I meant was "up to 6000 feet" not miles. Sorry. Pete
  • Options
    tdubtdub Member Posts: 2
    This message is for Peterun...Assume your posting of today was at least partly in response to my earlier posting of this day. Thanks. VW should pay you...you are a better advertisment than any other I have thus far seen by VW Inc. You realy seem to like the car! What is also interesting is how similar we are in at leat car matters etc..... I also owned a '70 Bug (Red, have advanced degree (not that it matters), this would be my third car (really my wife's) and happen to own a '98 E320. In any case, we will follow your postings for the next several days - my wife's Bug should be available for a test drive in about 10 days at which time she will have to make up her mind whether to get it or to wait for the 1.8 or just forget it and enjoy others drive it. Any other particulars in the meantime are appreciated. Have you anything negative to say about this car? Incidentally, how do you like youe CLK 320.....Thanks...tdub...PS - have you an email address?!
  • Options
    To find out a bit more about other discussion participants, click on their user name. You just might find the email address. :-)
  • Options
    Hi - I never owned the CLK. Rather, it's the SLK230, two seat roadster. As far as my ML320 . . . . the first one had an electrical fire, due to a dealer installed alarm/remote system. The first 10,000 of them had problems with them, big time. Ultimately, after it having been in the shop for four weeks . . MB took the truck back and gave me a black ML. Not totally free of problems either. . . so . . I sold it, for exactly what I paid for it, less $640 plus the tax and plates . . and purchased a '99 Lexus RX300. Superior to the Benz, by a long shot. I am a fussy guy . . . . . . I expect what I pay for. The New Beetle delivers! No problems, no rattles, no stalls. Great heat, great A/C. One day, the passenger side door lock stuck for a 1/2 hour or so. And then self-corrected. So . . . . I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!! And I do not hold stock in VW, although that might be a good idea! Pete in 90210
  • Options
    TavisTavis Member Posts: 8
    To anyone lucky enough to have gotten his/her hands on a Beetle already... (I'm on a wait list)

How much did your dealer charge for the trunk CD player? I've read about it being $295, but my dealer said $600. The dealer is not adding anything to the MSRP, but I'm just curious if he is jacking up the CD instead since it must be dealer installed.
  • Options
    HFitzHFitz Member Posts: 13
    Hello all. I think this is mostly to Peterun but for sure to anyone who has input! I was all set to buy a Civic but now...I just can't get the New Beetle off my mind! I'm really looking for some pricing info.

I know this is in poor taste - but I'm dying to know what you paid for yours! I too live in southern cally (LA area). Palmdale dealer quoted me $20k. Can they be had for MSRP (15,200) plus fees etc. (which in Cally are about 11%!) I'm on a budget and 17K is possible for me. 20K is out of reach for now. Will you tell me where you bought yours and what you paid? Please and thank you! I so want this car...Anyone forsee prices coming down even a little over the next six months? i know they're a decent value but i can't swing much more than 15-16 plus fees. Do I have any hope or should i get used to the civic idea all over again?
  • Options
    SuesterSuester Member Posts: 1
    For Peterun - you said your first car was a 70 bug. My son wants to buy a 74 bug from a friend. Any ideas on where I could find information about what would be a reasonable/fair price for this car? Blue Books don't go back that far...maybe a specialty book? He's asking $900 obo.
  • Options
    zfarmzfarm Member Posts: 5
    Hey, sorry to spoil the love-fest over the the NB, but may I make a few points:
    1.Virtually ALL cars are reliable for the first 12,000 miles, so being "rattle free" during this time is not so impressive.

2. Remember the "exploding Jetta engines"? Mexican "quality" is not to be believed. According to VW's own head honcho, less than half a dozen foreign VW plants possess "German quality".

3.New versus old: the "new" beetle isn't a beetle, just a re-styled Golf! Save yourself $2500, and buy a less stylish, but mechanically equal car.

4.Stylish? Yes. Good value for the money? No. The old beetle wasn't cool, stylish or a babe magnet. But, it was practical, reliable, easy to work on, low tech, fun to drive, and had "German-made" quality.

I have owned four of the "old" VW's. I do like the NB, really!!!, but VW should return to its core values of the 50's, 60's and 70's: quality, reliability, and constant evolution in design.
  • Options
    HFitzHFitz Member Posts: 13
    I've got to agree w/Fred. My current car ('94 Camaro) was a dream for about 40,000 miles. It's got 60K now and believe me, the last 20K have been an unbelievable nightmare. Many many mechanical problems. This car has left me stranded many many times. So - I want reliable at 50K not just 5K from my next car!

One thing confuses me though - many people say the Golf is a more sensible choice - but it doesn't seem much cheaper to me at all. The invoice on the base GL is 12,455. add $500 for VW destination charge. You're at 13,000 WITHOUT air conditioning. Add a/c and your at 14K. I'm pretty sure the "bug" has a far better sound system too. The Golf isn't much cheaper after all - is it? (i'm really asking. tell me if i'm missing something here!)
  • Options
    hauschdjhauschdj Member Posts: 1
    Save your cash and buy a from real motor company...FORD! Nothing fancy, just oodles of quality, quality, quality!!!
  • Options
    Hi, 90210 Pete here. . . .Not to sound too defensive . . . I would be the first to admit I was seduced by the New Beetle design. It lured me in like a magnet. There is a price one pays for that. Yes, it drives very well. I live in the canyons and it navigates the hills, the sharp curves terrifically well. However, I bought this car . . .took delivery of it without ever having driven it. I just loved it so much from the get-go. There is a price for art! I love touching it, smelling it, sitting in it. Every texture, material, curve in this car REEKS of the passion that went into its design. And it fully satisfies me on that basis alone. The fact that it drives so well, performs in a satisfying way . . .is mere iceing for me. As I said in my earlier E's . . .it takes me back to a special part of my life. This though, is a far superior car. It air conditions quietly, rapidly, heats fast . . .sounds great, gets good mileage lately . . . and of course . . .is a show stopper, a media event . . instantly bringing smiles . . and light to my life. If I needed mere transportation . . .I would've bought a Civic. Never gave it a minute's thought. Pete
  • Options
    zfarmzfarm Member Posts: 5
    Just one last comment: "GM New Designs". Whenever GM wants to make a "new" car, they just take one of their old clunkers, and put on a new, pretty body, and voila!!! a "new" car is born! The suckers fall for it, at least for the first year of the design. Then, the car is "reborn" again, several years later...same old marketing trickery. Are you listening, VW?!! After a couple of years, the "new" beetle will have to sell on its own merits, not just because it is "new" cute design (remember, the basic Golf/Rabbit design is twenty years old!) Again, I think the NB is cute, but it is just a new body on the same old car; kind of like Jane Fonda with a facelift. And I admit, cuteness sells (for awhile). But after the initial surge of interest, what sells a car is good design, good handling, economy and reliability (something lacking in many Mexican-made cars).
  • Options
    TalvisotaTalvisota Member Posts: 1
    Any word out there about a bug convertible in the near future?
  • Options
    VolchoVolcho Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know when sunroofs will become available?
  • Options
    To fred and those concerned about reliability after the first 12K: Don't forget, VW has put a 10 year/100000 mi warranty on this vehicle which should put your mind at ease. No deductible either. I suggest that you get out and drive one before making final judgement. If the Golf styling suits you better, then go for it. That's why they make them along with their other offerings. No one said this car is for everyone. And at only 50,000 copies per year it will not be for everyone even if everyone wanted one.
    I heard that sunroofs will be available later in summer and that there are no current plans for a convertible. Still waiting for my bright blue diesel 5 speed. Should be here any day now.
    To Pete in LA, hope all continues to go well. I'm very envious.
  • Options
    jmvanheejmvanhee Member Posts: 1
    hauschdj,
    I cannot believe that think that Ford is a "real motor company". Their repair,reliability and depreciation costs are terrible. Figure this out: repair a part once for $50 (VW) or the same part on a Ford 3 times for $30 each time ($90) total. Now tell me what is more expensive? Just admit that except for an above average truck, most Fords cannot hold a candle to most cars, especially German cars!
  • Options
    By the way . . . to other NB owners, be sure to have your service department program the "auto lock/unlock" feature. They can modify the brains of your car in two seconds and program it so that at exactly 10 mph the car locks itself (KERPLUNK, KERPLUNK) and when you stop the car . . .not until you actually remove the key from the ignition . . .KERPLUNK, KERPLUNK again. Unlocks both doors. You have to ask your service dept. to do this. Neat. Pete
  • Options
    ron_davisron_davis Member Posts: 4
    I don't know when I saw the first advertisement, but I seemed to have been mesmerized by some subliminal message over the internet. Before I knew it, I was plopping down a thousand dollar deposit for a New Beetle. Everything about it seemed to say "quality". I have a policy about not buying first-year cars; but I convinced myself that Volkswagen had too much on the line to screw this up. My initial request was for the gas engine, but I'm starting to consider the diesel with a standard transmission. I've never owned a diesel, and I don't do my own mechanical work anyway. I think I need some more encouragement or information. Most of my driving is in the city with some out of state trips. Is that OK for today's diesels, i.e. city driving?
    Our dealership has an annual allotment of 40 vehicles. If the buyer is too particular, the wait could be long. They're asking MSRP and know they don't need to discount.
  • Options
    73057305 Member Posts: 1
    we are also considering the diesel. told we have to wait til 99 model year. had several diesel mercedes - last w\320k & no repairs. we will drive 30-40k\yr . compute your relative fuel costs including $1000 capital. probably a wise long term investment...

>
  • Options
    mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know when the NB with the Turbo gas will come out? Will it be a 98 or a 99 model? Also, Consumer Reports said that there will be one with a tiptronic coming out. Does anyone know if that is true also?

Also, I heard a rumor that there may be a NB sedan coming out [5 doors!]. Is that true?
  • Options
    mlwaltermlwalter Member Posts: 1
    I'd love to give myself a 70th birthday present--a yellow bug with a heated seat;however the two dealers I have approached tell me that I'll either have to take what I get or wait for a year or two. I'm concerned that if the dealers tend to be this arrogant now, how will they behave if my car--if I'm "allowed" to buy one--needs repairs? Are there any less arrogant dealers in the state of Maryland?
  • Options
    TavisTavis Member Posts: 8
    Maybe you don't know, but the yellow cars are delayed because of a paint problem, and the heated seat package is also delayed or extremely rare at this point. Sunroofs are delayed too.

My dealer in NJ has been very upfront with me, they can only get what VW sends, and they are fairly large. If your dealer in Maryland is a smaller one, it may be true that it could be up to a year before you can order and expect to get exactly what you want.

I think the problem you're facing is that VW jumped the gun on releasing the car before all the options, colors, etc are available. They also under-estimated the demand, which makes it worse.

You'll probably just have to get on a wait list and reject the cars as they come in until a yellow one is available.
  • Options
    Has anybody taken delivery on a Beetle TDI? I heard that they are just becoming available. Mine is due to be delivered next week, I can hardly wait. I'd be interested in any feedback from TDI owners (Jetta, Passat or new Beetle owners).
    - Dana
  • Options
    genekgenek Member Posts: 3
    I took posession of a VW Jetta TDI in Jan. This has been the most enjoyable car I have driven since my 1967 Beetle. I get up to 58 mpg. on the highway with this car. Since I frequently drive from Dallas, TX. to San Antonio, TX., I have had plenty of chances to try out this great highway car.
    The new high impact bumpers also work very well. Just after I got the car a Honda backed into me at DFW airport. The Honda had a dented bumper. There was not so much as scratch on my Jetta.
  • Options
    ThornvThornv Member Posts: 1
    I read a few posts and it seemed some didn't know that the "new" Beetle is produced in Mexico only:

from recent WSJ

"The New Beetle will be launched in Germany at the end of this year, VW said. The carmaker hasn't yet decided when exactly it will start accepting orders for the successor to the old Beetle model, it said.

The New Beetle, which is manufactured in Puebla, Mexico, has the same platform and engine as VW's Golf model, VW said."

Seems we got it before them and they're all Mexican.
  • Options
    To DanaR - I have been told by my dealer that my Bright Blue TDI is "in port" and awaiting delivery. I am expecting delivery any day now and I keep pestering the dealer as I've sold my 91 Mitsu Galant and am in need of the vehicle. I know of no other TDI's which have been delivered, only gas models. To say I'm anxious would be a gross understatement.
  • Options
    myword1myword1 Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas on interior choices? Will leather hold up the best? What about leatherette?

I read what carlady said about the cloth starting to show wear. I hope to have this car for quite a long time!

Thanks for the feedback - I love reading the comments.
  • Options
    To MJB56 and genek, thanks for your update on the TDI. I was surprised (shocked!) at how much power there was when I test drove a Jetta TDI. MJB56, mine is also bright blue, with grey cloth interior. Bet they're exactly the same. My dealer said it was 'invoiced', whatever that means.
  • Options
    I've had my NB for 6 weeks now . . . runs like a dream except for a minor problem which was quickly solved. The bearings on the driver's side front wheel needed an adjustment. There was an uneven "whirring" type sound at speeds between 28 and 35 mph. I demonstrated this to the service manager and he diagnosed the problem immediately. They ordered a special part specifically for the NB which makes access to that part of the wheel easier. Took a day to do, required a front alignment afterwards for some reason. Runs like a charm . . .which it always did. Just a bit quieter now. I've had the NB for almost six weeks now. And BTW, I obviously have the cloth seats (gray). Zero wear to date. I love the material . . . plus the notion of covering the perimeter of that "artful" steering wheel with leather would bother me. It's slight texture provides a perfect grip . .and is a joy to touch. Pete
  • Options
    DovDov Member Posts: 24
    I'm interested in hearing comments on the TDI engine vs. the regular gas engine. There was an article in the last Car and Driver where the reporter made an offhand remark, something like, "...don't know what the diesel engine is doing here..." Has anyone had the chance to testdrive both versions? Also, I have heard that the 2.0 gas engine is sluggish, even with the 5 spd. Any comments? (P.s. I had a '73 SuperB.)
  • Options
    SRSublettSRSublett Member Posts: 2
    I am # 17 on the waiting list in Wichita,KS. Will pay MSRP and $500.00 nonrefundable down. Take what you get, but guaranteed a car. Anyone received a car with leather seats?
    So far Wichita dealer has received 7 cars, either red or black. My wife saw a yellow one in Wichita yesterday.
  • Options
    jamie01jamie01 Member Posts: 9
    I think the TDI is the way to go for this car. It has much more torque than the gas model so it should be peppier around town, plus you can't beat the mileage. Gas prices won't be 89 cents forever. It is also much quieter than my old '81 Rabbit diesel was. Incidently, that car was VERY reliable and I never had an engine problem. It was still going strong at 135K. It started right up, even in the winter (sub-zero you might need a block heater). Plus the TDI gives the NB a bit of mechanical character that the gas one is missing. What's not to like? I hope that a roof rack (Thule or similar) will fit the top so I can carry my mountain bike. Anyone know?
  • Options
    Peterun, do tell! Are you sure you aren't a secret VW marketing account exec? :-)

Isn't it fun to have such a cool car? And to know you share the fun with everyone who sees you on the road!

carlady/host
  • Options
    SRSublettSRSublett Member Posts: 2
    Anyone aware of whether they have luggage racks for the beetle. The trunk space appears a little small.
  • Options
    kchanuskchanus Member Posts: 27
    Yesterday, I went to a local VW dealer, there was a white one with power windows & locks, and automatic. They were asking for 22,900. They were crazy. I would rather wait a year or two, which I can get the same car for around 17,500. I also wonder, how much will I pay if I ask the dealer to order the new beelte for me? MSRP or whatever the dealer ask for?
  • Options
    Still not sure whether this is the car for you? Not ready to take the carlady's word for it? :-) Check out the official Edmunds Road Test. Then come back and tell us what you think!
  • Options
    Response to Dov on gas vs. diesel: either buy the diesel or wait for the 1.8 turbo. After the 1.8 is available, nobody will want the 2.0 gas.
  • Options
    Diesel info: While I'm still waiting for my TDI and my dealer says it should be any time now, I had the opportunity to check with a dealer in Madison, WI on their availability. They have been getting 5-6 cars a month but no TDI's to date. They said they would be getting their first TDI in 3 weeks. 3 WEEKS, WHAT'S THE HOLDUP? I'm starting to get a little suspicious about how VW is allocating these vehicles. Has anybody out there had a TDI delivered yet???
  • Options
    zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    I have a question. The new Beetle is cute, but for the amount of money you're spending, why not buy a Taurus, Civic, Contour, or a car of this caliber? I looked in the Newspaper, and here in Cincy, the Taurus is only a few hundred dollars more than the Beetle. I would rather buy the Taurus.
  • Options
    Those cars you mention are terrific for getting from "here to there." Perfectly valid and rational. If the New Beetle doesn't "Float your boat" from the get-go . . it's not for you. You are buying more than four wheels, more than mere transportation. It should elicit a strong visceral emotional response. It should "sing" to you. If none of the above occurs and you can put a Taurus under the same umbrella . . .the New Beetle is not for you. No judgement . . .it's just not your car. Pete
  • Options
    ericbericb Member Posts: 1
    I grew up in VWs -- the Beetle, the Bus... the Beetle, the Bus... My sister and I would "compete" over who got to sit in the hole. We'd count VW bugs over periods of months. We'd play slug-bug. Other family members had Beetles. Dad even had a Thing once. When I went home from college in the Summer, I drove a VW Bus. And writing this makes me want one now.

The new Beetle is cute. I like it on its own terms. But it's not the Bug. It's not a "people's car." It's a $15,000 marketing ploy by yet another company that's selling out to cash in on aging baby boomers' bank books. Volkswagen should have called it something other than the Beetle. It's a lure to get people in to the lot to buy a Jetta or a Passat. (I'm buying a 98 Passat, btw .)

I wonder what $15,000 would equal in 1968 dollars.

It's not just the money, although that's part of it. It's the simplicity, the enduring soul, the character, the uniqueness, the "stick-it-to-the-establishment,-man" attitude of the Beetle that's missing from this new car.

Again, I do like the new version on its own terms, but calling it the "new Beetle" is like calling Bill Clinton the "new JFK."
This discussion has been closed.