Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SAAB 9-3

FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in Saab
The Saab 900 is old news but I'd like to create a
new forum for new 9-3 owners. We recently leased a
9-3 in Los Angeles and are looking for relevant
input on your new 9-3's.

We have less than 3k miles on the car but were
still pretty happy with the car. The few minor
problems we've had with the car are: the back of
the front seat was poorly finished w/ the pocket
sagging away from the seat at the time of purchase.
We also hear a popping and crackling sound in the
front passenger seat when someone is sitting in
it.

My wife and I are pretty particular about our cars
and would like your input. I think that Saab
could become a long term marquee in our family but
we want to hear from you other 9-3 owners out there

Comments

• FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    Any comment from manual shift owners out there. We've a 9-3 auto, since my wife doesn't drive stick. I've read reviews in auto mags that panned the stick as a too tempermental tire burner at the stop light. I'd also like to hear comments from any new owners of the 200 bhp engine. Is there a real difference from the 185 bhp?
  • goldbergergoldberger Member Posts: 58
    Not an owner of the 9-3 stick, but I own a '91 9000T 5-speed, and have driven '98 900 and '99 9-3 5-speeds. While the 2.0 185 hp 5-speed has more "lag" off the line than the 2.3 200hp in the 9K, describing it as "too tempermental" is grossly inaccurate. And in comparing the two engines, the 2.0 is much smoother than the 2.3, which has a sort of "growl" under hard throttle.
  • eckdareckdar Member Posts: 30
    Am considering leasing a 99 Saab 9-3. Saab is offering great lease rates through Dec 98, a money factor of 0.00092 (2.2%) on the coupe. Am hoping to get some feedback on maintenance costs and resale value. My local mechanic said Saab parts are generally very expensive (he said more so than Jaguar) and that Saabs don't hold value well. He suggested a used BMW 325 or Volvo 850, which I agree are great cars. But monthly payment is an issue for me. I can get into the 9-3 for around $300. Don't think I could get a recent used BMW or Volvo for close to that.
    Thanks for any replies.
  • wesleydwesleyd Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 9-3 se with the 200hp engine and 5 speed. You definately have to be carefull not to spin the tires from a standing start when you are in a hurry.
  • prebmwprebmw Member Posts: 23
    Eckdar-
    Unfortunately, I agree with your mechanic. As the owner and lover of an '88 9000 Turbo, I have found that parts are expensive, and in the midwestern city that I live in, hard to come by. I had the misfortune of having to replace the front fender and related parts this summer. My bodyshop, which works primarily on high dollar cars, said he had good news and bad news for me. The good news was that if he had to pick a car to be in a wreck in, he would pick a Saab. The bad news was, it was also one of the most expensive to fix. We then waited close to a month for the parts to come in.I was in the market for a new car at the time and was going to get another Saab, he begged me not to. My independent mechanic, himself a Saab fanatic, agreed that parts are expensive. However, if you are going to lease, the cost of parts should not be an issue since the warranty should still be good for the length of your lease.
    prebmw,

Thanks for the response.

Does your name "pre bmw" mean that you've decided your next car will be a bimmer? Or did you go with another Saab against your mechanic's wishes?

Read through lots of Saab posts on the sedan conference this am. More confused now. If I get the 9-3 it will replace my 89 Toyota Camry. Exhaust, brakes and oil changes are essentially all I've done to the Camry. Low, inexpensive maintenance is great, but the Camry isn't exactly an exhilirating ride.

For the most part I think people believe (hope) Saab reliability will improve with the 9-3, and that the inconvenience and cost of more frequent maintenance is well worth it.

I've a couple more weeks to decide. Will have the camry checked to see if any substantial cost are looming and go from there. My gut say buy the 9-3.
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    The lease deal they've got on new Saabs are pretty
    good indeed. I am currently leasing a 9-3 SE. Maintenance is no more expensive than a Honda
    Accord. My last scheduled service cost me $124.
    And why should you worry about parts when you are
    leasing. The warranty covers you for 4yr/60K
    miles. I assume the lease is for 39mo.
  • eenereener Member Posts: 12
    I am considering the 9-3 lease- I have been a Saab owner for 15 years.(stick, turbo's)
    Any comments on which 9-3 is best?
    Thanks,
    karin
  • prebmwprebmw Member Posts: 23
    eckdar-
    I didn't go with either one - I bought a'98 Camry and a New Beetle instead. I love the Beetle and have the same feelings about the Camry that you stated. I would like to get rid of it this summer and get either a Saab or BMW. However, I live in Springfield, Mo. and would need to go over almost 200 miles to the nearest Saab dealer. Because of past experiences getting parts, I haven't been able to convince myself to go with another Saab, even though I would very much like to.
    thanks for the information. I will test drive the 9-3 today.
    Karin
  • BarresaBarresa Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to correct some info thab "Bo chung" sent. Saab's warranty is 4 years or 50000 miles, not 60000. The first year covers any adjustments. I plan on buying a 9-3 in Aug 99.
    Yes. Sorry for the typo. Warranty is actually 4 years / 50K miles. Powertrain warranty is a little longer.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Karin, how did your test drive go? Please, give us your review.

carlady/host
    Thank you "carlady" for allowing this new forum. I've waited for months for new 9-3 owners to start logging on.
    Thanks for the interest in the new Saab 9-3 forum.
    My wife and I leased a 98 9-3 auto last Aug. and we're both still extremely pleased with the car. I find the turbo lag to be a bit slow but then I'm used to V-8's.

I love the acceleration of the 2.0 turbo but I am a little disappointed with the fuel economy of our auto equiped car. My 82' Lincoln Mark with a 5.0L engine gets nearly the same of better highway mileage.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I remember that when I did a test drive, the Saab had a marvelous little weather radio channel so that one could always check the forecast. It struck me as a charming Nordic touch.

Does your Saab 9-3 have one of these? Do you use it?

carlady/host
    Yes,in fact this weather radio has come in handy believe it or not. The radio will find what ever local weather radio is available as you travel. We live in CA so weather is not so much a factor in our lives unless we're traveling North during the Holiday season over the Grape Vine. Driving this road during the winter time the weather can often be problematic so having forwarning about the road conditions allows us to take the costal route up Highway 101 instead. To be truthful I mostly use the weather radio to check the local surf report.
    I test drove the 9-3. Loved it, and it did not take very many blocks know I could be a happy owner. Now I am in the price/features/debate. The dealer has too many Saabs on his lot. (as do others around the nation - I have been told Saab Corp. loaded up dealers)
    Anyone purchased one recently? Willing to share selling price? Should I be able to get a much beter deal with cash? Any comments about resale?
    Enthused about doing this, unsure of what I should pay.
    Thanks, Karin
    eener-

Your question about resale value was quite pertinent. This was one of the major factors in our determining to lease our 9-3 instead of purchasing. Back in Aug. Edmunds listed the Saab 9-3 as a Gold Star Lease meaning that with all factors taken into consideration the Saab lease ended up costing just 2%.

At 2% interest rate we determined it was a whole lot of car for the money even though Nissan,and Toyota were practically dying to give us a car at very low, low or no interest rates if we'd just sign up for a purchase. This was not the same for Saab at the time so we determined that we'd lease the car and see if the Saab unique character and utility factors wore well with us over time and in three years if the rather high risidual value, at least in my opinion, that Saab assigned to their leases didn't infact give us a better value for our money over purchasing at a much higher interest rate.
    Has anyone been driving the 9-3 in the snow yet? What are recommendations for snow tires?
    Thanks,
    Karin
    The 9-3 "S" (or is it "base"), iirc, comes with michelin MXV4 "V" rated tires. Consumer Reports recently rated tires in this general category, and stated that the MXV4 "H" rated tires had pretty good snow traction. That would make them suitable , imo, for light to moderated snow in flat, urban areas (where snow removal is practiced).

The "SE" comes with performance tires, and it is a very bad idea to use them in the snow.

While there has been a lot of activity in the Snow Tire category by many of the major tire makers, the majority of true died-in-the-wool Saabists continue to recommend the Finnish made Nokian Hakkapallita snow tires http://www.snowtyres.com . These tires, however, are often not locally available. If that is an issue for you, I've found the Dunlop HSxx tires to be pretty good also.

Saab dealers have access to the Swedish made "Gislaved" line through Saab's parts distribution network. Many people have recommended them, but the ones I got (a decade ago) proved to be inadequate.
    Thanks for the comments about 9-3 tires.

Does anyone have experience with purchasing a Saab from Garf Motors in Salt Lake City, UT or Gary Small in Portland OR? I will be traveling to Utah this week and could shop there.
    Is 3% over real invoice what I should expect to pay for the 9-3? I am on the verdge of deciding to buy one this week. I want to know what to pay before I start the final process.
    thanks, Karin
  • rfellmanrfellman Member Posts: 109
    I just bought a Saab 9-3 with power roof, cd and auto for about 800 over invoice. Unfortunately, I was a little off guard when the Saab dealer offered such a price. You see I had become used to being jacked around by BMW and Audi dealers who felt MSRP was their entitlement for selling a car in demand. The Saab 9-3 is definitely the best value when compared to a BMW 323i or an Audi A4 1.8 or 2.8 quattro.
    I think if you are willing to haggle aggressively, the dealers will go lower than 3% above invoice on a 9-3. Which is pretty darn good on anear luxury car in my considerable experience. I think the 9-3 is a buying opportunity for a smart shopper looking for relative value by brands.

I grew up in NE blizzards and despite being deeply appreciative of the inherent BMW handling and breaking attributes, I just could not imagine spending that much on a car that was not all weather rated. The Audis were wonderful but lacked any real room and the dealers told me they had a quota and they had to maximize profits on available inventory so no discounts on current model year vehicles.

Bottom line, the Saab impressed me after about 3/10 of a mile. The BMW only impressed me when I tool it out on the interstate. The Audi was nicer than my living room. It really came down to value between a Saab 9-3 and an Audi 1.8. Quattro. I just felt, for the price of the loaded quattro, I could buy an all wheel drive Durango SLT Plus. Since Audi would/could not guarantee timely delivery, I could only shop their lot and those cars were designed for lease (loaded). I love the 9-3. I will drive to Omaha in a wek and then need to have it serviced for the 1000 mile oil and filter change. What else do they do at 1000 miles.

I drove a Toyota Camry before the Saab. Never again. If you are fortunate enought to have the income, buy a performance oriented car. It makes you feel young again and isn't that what anyone over 35 enjoys?
    is all you should expect to pay for a 9-3. If you paid more than that, then you probably have paid too much. But don't expect to pay much less either. We do want to keep them in business so that they can service our cars right?
    Question? My wife noticed in our service handbook that the 9-3 has a recommended oil change interval of every 5,000 miles. We live in Los Angeles and I'm more used to oil changing every 2,500-3,000 miles. We've had our first sevice by the dealer already and now are approaching 4,000 miles. What is or has been anyone's experience with oil changing on Saabs?
    5000 miles is, iirc, the "severe duty" interval, with 10,000 miles (!) being the "easy duty" interval.

I have used 4000 miles as my change interval decades, after observing when checking the valves that a 5000 mile interval resulted in "etching" on the back side of the cam. I extend my 4000 miles/4 months conventional oil interval to 6000 miles/4 months with synthetics. In Europe, where oil is much more expensive (as is fuel) some are stretching the interval to 12,000 miles, using synthetic oil, with no ill effects.
    is just fine but don't forget to change the filters too. BTW, 9-3s have oil coolers that helps.
    Thanks for the reply to the oil change question. We'll get our car into the mechanic right away.
    What should we expect on minor body repair for Saabs. My wife lightly scraped a pole in her parking garage last week and came home nearly in tears. She loves her new car and couldn't even look at it for several days after the incedent. I told her to calm down a bit and we'd think about fixing it after she'd had a little while to asorb the damage. We have many good and capabable "Saab" body shops here in L.A. but should we just take it back to our dealership and let them "professionally" repair our vehicle?
    What is the nature of the damage? Paint, bumper, dents?
    rfellman-

Thanxs, the left rear quarter panel was scraped along the arch of the wheel well with no distortion to the panel as a whole but a small tear in the metal did occur at the point of contact. The area of damage is no longer than 3" by about 1" wide. She also put a slight compression dent in the right rear door as she was try to ease her car between another car and the poll.
    I just read in my R&T or C&D magazine that a new SVO version of the 9-3 might be expected in a year or so. Any other insider news on the development or progress of this Saab.

I wonder how an "Aero" Saab 9-3 would have fared in the R&T coparison test of the: Audi A4, Acura 3.2 TL, BMW 328i,Mercedes C280, and Volvo S70 T5. My wife and I actually drove the wagon versions of the Volvo and Audi before we decided on the Saab. I'd never consider the winning BMW 328i because it doesn't have the carrying capacity of our Saab. The Saab 9-3 came in third after the Audi and the BMW.

Although the Audi A4 Avant was our own second runner up when we went car shopping this summer on a dollar to utility value we obviously chose the Saab. The Avants acceleration in the auto 1.8T and the 2.8 V-6 was rather annemic copared to the Saab auto we went for. The one thing that Audi definitly has an advantage over any current Saab model was that its interiors are absolutly sumptuous. I really think that the interior asthetics of Saab's current lineup have a lot to be desired relative to their competition. I feel a bit like I'm driving a European economy car when I look at a feel the materials Saab chose for its interiors.

The one thing that is never likely to win me over to any averabe Sports-Car alternative is anything that is laking in practicle cargo carring capacity. The Audi Avant had gobs of this but it was at a relative premium price with dealers and a manufacturer that has a real attitude towards their American market.

Audi/VW, unlike Saab, delearships have an attitude that you should just take what you can get and even pay a premium for it and be glad they even had anything to sell you anyway.

Skrew them we bought a Saab! Audi and BMW can crow all they want about their "Sports-Car" comparison test ranking. They don't have the cargo capacity of a Ford Country Squire Wagon to go along with that sporty sedan image.
    "Aero" Saab 9-3 is rumored to produce 250HP and will come with stiffer suspension and of course, the "aero" looks. This is M3 territory, in my opinion.
    What's the rumored release date here in the States? What kind of a premium should we expect to pay for such a rocket?
    an aero 9-3? How much power does a person need? The 9-3 w a 185 turbo blows the doors off the competition for performance, cargo capacity and value. 250 horses with turbo acceleration? I think the 9-3 is a great value but more power is not what is required to take on Lexus, BMW, Audi and Volvo. Saab needs to improve the ride over rough pavement. My 9-3 does not ride much better than jeep cherokee with leaf springs. Whats up with the lack of attention to ride comfort?
    forget the aero. Improve the rear suspension to improve ride over rough surfaces. I love my 9-3, but it does not need to ride like a jeep cherokee with rear leaf springs to render performance.
  • JoeDamaJoeDama Member Posts: 5
    I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 9-3 lease offered until the end of this month, and I would like the leather option. I'm wondering how much more I should pay up front (in addition to the $999 cap cost reduction) for leather. Has anyone else leased a 9-3 with leather who would be willing to share their experience? I'm thinking that, since there is a 56% residual on the car at the end of the lease, that there would be a similar residual on the leather (maybe a little less). This means that I should offer about 44% of the dealer cost for the leather, or about $500 or so. Anyone else have ideas? Thanks is advance.
    Joe, $500 for leather sound reasonable to me.

rfellman, I am surprised to hear that your 9-3 does not ride very well. I don't have any problems with mine. In fact, I sometimes wish the suspension was a little firmer. It would be nice to have the IRS like the 9-5, but I am not unhappy with current setup. Now, as far as the aero 9-3 in concerned, IMO, Saab needs the aero for the same reasons BMW needs the M3. Saab will not sell too many "aeros" a year but it will help them with image, PR and reviews. I for one will not pay extra for "too much horsepower" since I am already busy enough with 185HP. But having a Aero 9-3 in the BMW 3 series price range with performance closer to M3 will definitely make Saab look good and should increase showroom traffic.
    Haven't leased a 9-3 with leather, although I've thought about it lots. My bargaining strategy would be to try to get same terms with $0 cap cost reduction. I would put as little cap cost reduction down as possible. With the Saab lease rates what they are, money used for cap cost reduction is not working very hard for you. Better to take that money and invest in just about anything else and you'll do better. Other side of this issue is the monthly payment however. But would still put as little down as possible to get the monthly payment where you need it.
    Is the "invoice" price listed in Edmonds, the price I should use when talking to Saab dealers?
    Thanks, Karin
  • JoeDamaJoeDama Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the invoice price is the dealer cost, but only if you also deduct from it the holdback and any current manufacturer incentives. Figures for the holdback and current incentives are also available at this site.

One other issue with the Saab is that there are a number of additional accessories available, such as special dashboard trim, sports exhaust and snow tires. It's unclear what extent dealers are willing to negotiate the prices on these items. Any comments?
  • tmp1tmp1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm about to lease either a 9-3 or S70 (automatic). The local NJ dealer currently is asking $337/mo. for 15K miles, a total of $2300 or so in fees (including $999 cap cost). The car includes CD, leather, heated seats, sunroof. What do you think? I messed up by not realizing I should have bargained sale price before talking lease, but I had gone through carpoint and was too honest. Anyway, I'm going to go to another dealer and see what they offer. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    IF you get the S70, I assume you will get the turbo? If not the Saab is far more fun to drive!
    However the GLT is closer to 35K while the 9-3 base with a moonroof can be had for well under 30K. I looked at Volvos but had already determined that I did not need to spend more than 28K to get everything I wanted. I looked at the SEs and said to myself, I don't have leather office furniture or living room furniture so why do I need leather in my car so my Basset Hound can claw the fabric? The base Saab is the best value. Throw in a CD and moon roof and negotiate a deal for a few hundred over invoice.
    No other brand offers as much value for the price. At 35K, I think an Audi A6 with quattro is a better value than the Volvo.
    Amen to the value of the base Saab. The leather and climate control of the SE are nice but why the hell pay that much more for them. You'll still get the turbo 2.0 ltr. engine in the base model,
    Thanks for the responses! My wife is something else (compliment) -- she called me at work yesterday and told me she had just sold my '88 325is to a friend of ours, and that I needed to have a new car (no matter what it is) by the following Friday. So here it is, Saturday morning, and I will make a deal today. Great point about the turbo. Volvo is running a $379/mo. no money down (whatsoever) for the base (165hp), and I will test drive it today, but it appears I will be disappointed with the performance. I'll likely end up making a deal at JMK Saab in Springfield, NJ or Shrewsbury Motors in Monmouth County.

Thanks again for the info.

Tom
    BTW, Edkar, the quote IS for the five door. I guess I can see why JMK wouldn't move on price -- though I'll see if they'll up the miles to 17K/yr -- a nice safety cushion. My wife wants the leather, because easier to clean up kids' (4 and 3) spills.... That's also why I'm going for the automatic. Now if I could just pick a color :)

Thanks again.
    tmpl-

Best wishes on the your new 9-3. We got a base 9-3 five door with auto and both my wife and I have really come to enjoy the car. I'm more use to big American V-8's but this little car really hauls both in the speed and luggage catagory. The car holds even more than my huge Mark VI! My wife hates driving the Lincoln but she does enjoy the soft ride on long hauls, especially since she like to sleep most of the time as a passenger in any car.
    I think you will find the Saab to extremely comfortable on long jaunts. Moreover the Saab grows on you everytime you walk out of a mall and look for your car, which will likely be the only 9-3 among a handful of 900s and a plethora of look alike Japanese and American makes and Audis that look like VWs or vice versa.
  • pure911pure911 Member Posts: 40
    imagine the torque steer on the 250hp SVO or Aero model!!!! pull you right off the road...
    Actually the pull is easily manageable on dry pavement if the driver has a pulse, however if you are accerating away from a stop on a slick surface, you are: (a) spinning you tires like a fool; (b) hoping to induce a hydroplaning or a skid; (c) about to be cited for reckless driving and stupidity; (d) testing the molecular competiion of the Michelins; (e) rapidly pulling away from the herd now only dimly visible in your rear view.
This discussion has been closed.