Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• djmick2djmick2 Member Posts: 9
    that was a 2000 geo metro with 6000 miles on it with auto air and radio.cool huh!
    yup! I bought the car no one else bid on it so I got it for 4500 even and yes it is a salvaged title but we couldn't find the damage and we looked for about an hour and a half!but I do believe the salvage knocked out the warranty but I still think I got a great deal talk at you later.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    djmick, that was a great deal. With that salvage title, you won't be able to get a warranty,but you saved $7000 over new and can use that savings to fix anything that breaks, if anything breaks.
  • superman11superman11 Member Posts: 5
    Does any one out there know where i can get ground effects and clear tail lights for a 1997 chevy/geo metro hatchback. please e mail me with some anwsers superman6957@hotmail.com
  • spunkmeyerspunkmeyer Member Posts: 3
    I have a '91 Metro that has been lowered, spoilered, clear taillighted, mag wheeled, tinted windowed, subwoofered, etc. Most of the parts came from a local auto parts store.
    Does anyone know where I can get a LARGE Geo Metro sticker for the rear window?
    Regards, S.M.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    In addition to the help you get here, superman11 & spunkmeyer, be sure to check out our Aftermarket & Accessories conference!

carlady/host
  • pat56pat56 Member Posts: 11
    Heya... MetroGnome here...

I haven't found any Metro graphics available,
    but we can get t-shirts! Go to:

http://www.merl.eleeto.com/

for the Metro Endurance Racing League
    (with tongue planted DEEPLY in cheek)

Also, check out the anime character at:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/6939/geo.htm

His name is GEO METRO! *ROTFL*

BTW... Peanut is still running fine, with a bit over 6K miles on her.

Best to all...

MetroGnome
    My family has 3 97 4cyl. geo metro hatchbacks and we love them to death. My brother put a little lift on his with some big all terrain tires and mine is set for racing with ground effects, a k&n filter and white outs all three geos have at least a 240 watt amp and at least 10" subwoffers i read earlier some one wanted to deck out a metro so dont be discouraged i love my decked metro and i get at least 48 mpg i love reading the responses. well see yall later
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    Hi,
    What is the largest tire that will fit on a 13" wheel for a 2000 Metro LSi Hatchback?
    There is a P185/80R-13 available, but the dealer believes it would be too big and would
    rub the sides when I turn.
    There is also a P175/80R-13 but I don't know.
    My reason for a "taller" tire: When I park,(heads in), the bottom part of my bumper
    scrapes the concrete curb. If I can get some more height it would clear it. If anyone has
    had any success in these larger tires, I would like to hear it. Will my metro support a
    P185/80R-13 or P175/80R-13?
    Thanks.
    Tom.
    When would be the first time i need to cahnge my brakes because i don't want to wait until the last minute. Right now im at 34,750 miles on my 97 well see yall later.
    I had 185/80R13's on the rear of my Metro. They rub on the front though. You can buy 185/60R13 tires but they are rare. 175/70R13 is the best size to use. It is 20mm wider but the change in aspect ratio keeps it the same height. 185/60R14 tires will fit 14" rims and will also not rub. That is also a rare size. You can get 14" steel rims from many cars, like the Geo Prizm or the Toyota Corolla. You could also buy aftermarket rims in the 14x6 size to fit. 14" steel rims and Geo Prizm wheel covers would look stock, sort of...

I did my brakes on my Metro at 88K. But I did not buy it until 63K so I do not know if they were done before. Rotors are expensive. Pads are expensive. Be careful not to stretch out the brake line when you remove the caliper.
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have a set of 175/70R-13 and wanted a set of winter studded tires. I decided to try the largest tires that would fit my rim and under the front fenders. My local tire dealer said the 185/80R-13 were a no-go. He said he personally would go no higher than the 165/80R-13 but said the 175/80R-13 might fit. And that was "iffy" at best. I went with the 175/80R-13.
    If I turn lock-to-lock, they just barely (and I do mean b-a-r-e-l-y), rub on the back-front fender well. What scrapes is the top of the studs (and it is minor, only when I hold the wheel as far as it goes full right or full left). The only thing it scrapes is the undercoat. That's it. So if I do have to turn that hard, I made a mental note to drive real slow and not go over any big bumps (especially if I have the car loaded down!).
    I believe if I didn't have a studded tire, it would not scrape.
    Tom
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    In addition to the help you get here, take a look at the Maintenance & Repair conference for topics on tires. To find topics, please use the Search feature on the left menu bar.

carlady/host
    Does any one know if you can put a header on the 4cyl. geo, do they even make one.
    is there a lift kit for a geo?
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    There are headers available for the 3 & 4 cylinder. Believe it or not the only manufacturer that I've found for the 3 cyl is a ultralight engine remanufacturer that uses the suzuki engines in ultralight planes. Here is the link.

http://www.raven-rotor.com/html/price.html

The headers are about 1/2 down the page. I have never seen a lift kit for a metro but you never know.
    Please help me! ive got a chevy metro with an automatic and im only getting 20 miles a gallon! most of my trips are less than 2 miles long and the weathers cold but 20 miles a gallon? does any one have a suggestion that does not require taking it to the dealer? any help would be appreciated.thanks, mick.
    I have less than 6500 miles on the car.
    If your trips are less than 2 miles, your car never gets a chance to warm up and get decent mileage. Any car will get 50-75% of its mileage before it warms up. If you never drive more than 10 miles a day, you'll never see 30-34mpg. You need to take the car on longer trips or else come 40K-50K your engine will seize from the carbon deposits it will have.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    Ground effects and a K&N = set for racing? Hee hee, that's rich.
    thank you for your responce ill fill it up and take it for a 60 mile ride down the toll road. ill keep you posted on what happens,Thanks again!
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    im a lil late to this thing im guessing...but why would anyone consider a metro? i think for the same money you could get a decently powered while still fuel efficient civic, corolla, cavalier, neon, etc. and they have more space and comfort than a metro would.
    hope that helped (probably didn't :P)
    My metro was hit by a pedestrian(dont worry it was parked at the time, long story.) and they broke off the side mirror!not a good thing does anyone know where I can buy a cheap one without going to a junkyard.if you know of one in houston thats great or off the net would be cool to. Thanks again. Your suggestions help out alot. cya!
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    Those pedestrians can be brutal! :-) In addition to the help you get here, please drop by the Aftermarket & Accessories conference. They may have additional help for you.

carlady/host
    ludacris, I have tried to respond to you twice but the software changeover is losing my posts. I have done the calculations, and with the manual transmission, the Swift/Metro will save you $7,000 over 5 years over buying a similar priced car because of the gas mileage savings, 100K timing belt and tune-up interval, and cheap 80-series tires. Insurance is cheaper for Metros than Civics or Corollas. 36mpg city/42mpg highway is much better than anything except a TDI Volkswagen. But TDI Volkswagens are 16K-18K cars. And Civic coupes start at $12,760 without AC. Corollas can be had for $12,295 on sale with the Value Package (AC, cassette), but for $9,995 you can get the Suzuki Swift GL with 1.3 engine, 5-speed, better mileage, air, cassette, and defroster. The defroster is extra on the Corolla. The Civic DX can only have dealer installed AC ($1495 and up depending on your area), but the defroster and radio are standard. The dealer has to add the cassette deck ($300-$500). The Civic HX 5-speed gets 35mpg city/44mpg highway but is a $15K car and still has no tape player. All of those Civics have white on gray instruments that light up orange at night and are hard to read because of the low contrast. And Honda dropped the Civic hatchback this year. The Daewoo, well, it's cheap. The Kia Rio is only available as a sedan, and while it's $8495 base price is enticing, it doesn't include AC or cassette or even power steering. That's one sore point on the Swift/Metro. Power steering is only available on the fleet only Metro sedans. You can't get it on the hatchbacks.

djmick. Junkyard. That's your best bet. The dealer will charge you too much (maybe more than $300) and no aftermarket company makes a mirror for the 1995-up Metro. You could put on a generic $20 mirror from an auto parts store if you don't mind having them not match left to right. It is possible older Metro mirrors will fit the holes but I do not know. Anyway, like I said. Junkyard, junkyard, junkyard. Houston has tons of them, and many of them will pull the part for you and have it waiting when you arrive. But they may require prepayment so you'll have to make two trips or pay by credit card. Try various combinations of auto, salvage, car, recycler, or whatever, followed by dot com, and you might find someone online who can deliver. Do a search for used auto parts on any search engine and maybe you'll find either a local Houston yard or one that will ship the part to you.
  • int250int250 Member Posts: 6
    GAS PRICES ARE HIGH AND ALL THE NEWER SMALL CARS ARE LITTLE HOGS.
    Right. When a Buick LeSabre gets 30mpg on the highway and a Kia Rio gets 32mpg on the highway, something is very, very wrong. The manufacturers do not care to offer a high mileage vehicle, they just want to meet the minimum standards imposed by CAFE. So they offer our Metro with a 3-speed automatic with NO overdrive and NO lockup converter, it gets 34mpg on the highway. Unreal. The 1990 Metros got as much as 55mpg. Now a Metro with a 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed gets 42mpg highway. Why? What changed? What changed from 1998 to 1999 when it dropped from 39/43 to 36/42? NOTHING! Why did the estimate change? Why do the cars get poorer mileage?
    I have noticed the same thing in the last 10 years. Where did all of the good gas mileage cars (40+ MPG) go? Metro, Honda (CRX, Civic), Mazda 323, Toyota (Starlet, Corolla), etc...Some of these cars are still being made but have "grown" into mid-size vehicles and their mileage has suffered significantly. The other great thing about all of these cars is that were very affordable.
    Now even small cars are about $16,000+ and their mileage is at least 1/3 less than 10 years ago. I don't think that the auto manufacturers are interested in the inexpensive small car market because they can't gouge the consumer enough. So they phased out good quality small cars. In the case of the Metro GM reduced the standard equipment year after year and raised the price until they made it so undesirable that no one would buy one.
    For example GM could have sold Metro's with 4 wheel disc brakes since 1990. They were standard equipment on the Suzuki Swift GT and would have bolted on with no modifications to either the 2 or 4 door. They could have used the Multi Port Injection from the GT and gotten rid of the Throttle Body Injection. GM was perfectly capable of using in house parts that required no modifications and produced a world class small car. But instead they chose to shove mediocrity and apathy to the consumer and wondered why after really making no improvements after 15 years that sales went into the dumpster.
    Make no doubt I believe that the Suzuki drivetrain is rock solid and I am one the Metro's biggest fans. I am just so sorry to have seen it suffer in the hands of GM.
    My last point is that there is absolutely no reason why auto manufacturers can't make great small cars. It seems to me that the push is to make Hybrid vehicles that get 55 MPG that the manufacturer can make $3000 per vehicle because they can charge $20000+ than small cars that the profit margin is much thinner. The auto maker makes a whole ton of money, but the consumer suffers because there are no longer any affordable small cars that get good mileage.
    OK, I have now stepped off of my soapbox.
    my turn now...I see the mileage results on the new Honda Insight...61mpg city and 70mpg highway. It has a 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine, a small electric "helper" motor, and is very lightweight. Well, gee, didn't the 1995-1999 Metro base coupe have a 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine and a very lightweight body? Why can't GM drop an electric motor in that, remove the backseat and raise the cargo floor for battery room, and sell it for $16,000, undercutting the Insight and Prius by four or five large? I'm sure the critics would complain about the interior plastics and the lack of power steering. I sure do love the power steering in the Accent, but I could do without it. But the car would do 70mpg. And that's the idea.

A new Civic HX with 5-speed gets 35mpg city, 44mpg highway. That's for a 117hp 1.7 liter engine, 3.84:1 final drive, and a much heavier car. But the new Swift with 5-speed gets ony 36mpg city and 42mpg highway. It weighs less, has a similar coefficient of drag, and a 0.4 liter smaller engine with only 79hp. You would think it would get better mileage. But with the shorter gears in the transmission and the 3.61:1 final drive, it still does worse. 2 years ago the same car with the same gear ratios and the same weight and equipment was rated at 39mpg city, 43mpg highway. I don't get it.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    You said it occupent1, the Metro would be a good candidate for a Hybrid retrofit but
    Generous Motors (GM) only seems interested in the short term gain of putting station
    wagons on truck chassis calling them SUVs and counting their profits and if the Insights
    etc. catch on GM can cry to the government that they tried with the EV1, who wouldn't
    want a vehicle with a range of almost 100 miles ... Happy New Year all !

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth

1981 Raleigh for commuting, errands & fun
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
    2000 5 speed Civic hatchback
    Oops its occupant1, and the big three are working on HEVs http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/ (hybrid electric vehicles) so the Japanese should only be a few years ahead ... Happy New Year !

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

• beartrapbeartrap Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks

This is all probably old news to all of you, but Swift is still being sold in Canada.

If we do get a replacement up here, I expect it to be the New Wagon R+. They toured the previous generation up here two years ago, and it got a lot of people looking. They hinted at the time that the new model was a possibility.

As for Metro, theCorsa is believed to be it's replacement. It's a new model as well, and one of GM's biggest sellers in Europe. Pity.

As for me, I'm not an owner, but I did convince mom to buy a Suzuki when they came out in '89. She got 10 years out of that car in the rust belt of Nova Scotia. When it came time to replace it, she went and got a '98 Metro, end of season. She loves it, and I gotta admit, it's not a Ferarri, or as big as a minivan, but it does the job and well at that.

Funny that we are the only country in the world to get the version of Metro that we did. Suzuki did not use this model version anywhere else in the world. And then there was that convertible version being touted about a few years back as well... pity it never came to be. Looked like a lot of fun.

martyn
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Honda and Toyota, even selling the Insight and Prius, respectively, at around $20,000, do so at a LOSS. Some conspiracy...
  • gpwoodgpwood Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Geo Metro. When ever I use the heater/defroster on warm temperature, it gives a bad smell and gives me a bad headache. I am fairly certain it is not an antifreeze smell. It has been like this since it was new and I have not been able to use the heat. Has anyone heard of any problems like this with 94 Metros? Any solutions? Any help would be appreciated.
    If you believe that any manufacturer will mass produce a vehicle and sell it at a loss then I have my 1994 Metro that I'll sell you for $7500. Car manufacturers are in the business to make money.
    If they did sell at a loss how could they ever recoup their investment? According to your theory if the Insight or Prius became a wildly popular best seller then Honda & Toyota would lose a whole ton of cash.
    Somehow I find this unlikely. The goal of these manufacturers is move to consumers from inexpensive lower profit vehicles to higher priced, higher profit margin vehicles. You want good gas mileage? You're just have to going to pay $20000+ instead of $10000 with a big fat profit margin for Mr. Auto Manufacturer. And the justification for charging you all of that money-HYBRID.
    My guess is that you either have mold in your heater ductwork or some foreign material with a high level of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)is in your heater. You might take your heater fan out and inspect the blower box area.
    The Accent I am driving now also has a stinky heater, but I'm not about to tear apart the dash to find out why. The A/C when I use it smells a bit moldy, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it needs cleaned out. But the car is not for long, I think this lady's insurance company is going to total it because of the high miles on it and I'll be shopping for a used Metro.

I think CAFE is the whole reason for this bad mileage in small cars thing. They don't have to do better than the 27mpg standard, so why should they? Trucks only have to average what is it 20.5mpg? And they sell enough S-10's, Dakotas, Rangers, and other small trucks to get that beat without cutting into their SUV production.

Metros are only available to fleet buyers this year and will not be available for 2002 according to four different fleet managers, so at least the dealers all have their stories straight. When I wrote a letter complaining to GM, they responded with a form letter recommending the $14,000 Cavalier saying, "it should better suit your needs" while it is heavier, gets poor mileage, and doesn't offer a hatchback or wagon. Go figure. Sure I can get one on sale for $11,000. But why?

I'll be buying used cars for a long time to come, especially if these companies continue to make poor decisions like dropping their only 40mpg car to make room for more bulbous SUV's and mediocre cars.

Anyone have a 1995-97 Metro hatchback with 4-cylinder/5-speed, AC, and tachometer they'd like to sell? I can afford about $2500 assuming the lady's insurance totals my Accent. A 5-speed Swift would be OK, but I would have to add the tach myself as no 95-up Swifts had them.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I'll have to find the exact stats, but it is true that Honda and Toyota do sell their hybrids at a loss. Actually, if they became wildly popular, as you say, economies of scale would eventually work out such that the manufacturers would at least break even, if not turn a profit. There are numerous instances in the past of a product manufacturer selling something at an initial loss in order to get it out into the marketplace, then turning a profit as the product becomes popular.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Lancerfixer is right. Imagine how much it costs to develop that unique hybrid vehicle and than look at how few Honda and Toyota plans on selling (around 20,000 total between the Insight and the Prius). The few they expect to sell at 20 grand cannot even come close to making up for the huge development costs of these technologically advanced cars. Unless the cars miraculously become super popular (highly unlikely and there is no means currently to produce them at high quantities), there is no profit to be had from these cars. They are simply there to show off the company's technological know-how and prove that the cars can be mass-produced and marketed.
    I saw a cutesy little purple thing on the road today...it was a car called the Chevrolet Chevy.

http://www.chevrolet.com.mx

Click on Autos then another line of text will show up immediately below it and click on Chevy.

It is sold in Mexico already and is basically the Vauxhall/Opel Corsa. The one I saw on the road had Mexico plates and was a "Swing" 5-door hatchback, the way the guy was driving I could tell it was a stick, he kept taking his right hand off the wheel to shift. The site says the Pop Joy model is the basic 3-door Chevy. It has a 1.4L TBI engine with 60hp and 82ft-lbs of torque. It also has skinny 145R13 tires. The Chevy Pop Swing model is the 5-door model, and it has 14% more power, from a 1.6L TBI engine with 78hp and 91ft-lbs of torque. The Chevy Joy and Chevy Swing have a MPFI version of the 1.6L engine with 89hp and 94ft-lbs of torque. They also have more equipment. The Pop designation must mean a value leader model. The Pops come with a 4.29:1 final drive ratio and the regular models have a 4.19:1 final drive ratio. Options include AC, cassette, 100 amp alternator, 55amp/hour battery, alloy wheels, and 175/70R13 or 185/60R14 tires. You can get accessories like a sportier antenna, bike rack, cargo rack, spoiler, SWEET alloy wheels, and an alarm. All models have a 5-speed manual as standard, but I saw nothing about getting an automatic. Which would kill it here. GM would have to offer an automatic so the dealers can stock up on them and sell them as fleet vehicles. And make it that much harder for us real people to get the ones we want. The cars all have 46 liter gas tanks, which translates into about 12 gallons I think. They get 17km/liter. Which I think translates to about 40mpg. This car would be a FINE replacement for the Metro, and I would be happy to buy one. It would be my first new car.

BUT there is a problem. Chevrolet also offers a car called the Monza in Mexico. It is ONLY offered as a 4-door sedan and it already has a 4-speed automatic available with its 1.6L engine. It also has a Pop version with the 1.4 engine and 5-speed manual only. The pictures show an available tachometer #:-), 175/70R13 tires, sweet 3- or 5-spoke or lacy alloy wheels, ground effects, roof rack, spoiler, fog lamps. Who remembers the 1975-1980 Monza, available as a 2-door notchback, 2-door hatchback, or little 2-door wagon? Nothing like this little car.

The way I see it, they are the same car, with different body styles, but the automatic is only available on the 4-door sedan Monza.

I'm not done yet. There is a Chevrolet "Chevy" station wagon, too. It comes with the MPFI 1.6L engine on both base and LS models. Tachometer, cassette player, and 5-speed manual shift appear to be standard. AC is standard on the LS along with a rear wiper. But I saw no mention of automatics as an option.

Anyone remember the Chevy Luv pickup? Still available in Mexico, along with a pickup version of...you guessed it...the Chevrolet "Chevy". It has the same 1.6L MPFI engine as the wagon and Monza, and is only offered with the manual transmission. It kinda looks like a soft updated Dodge Rampage from the rear.
    *Update* maybe GM is in the HEV 'race' and I'm glad to hear it at least the domestics will give the imports a run for their money, page 27 of Motor Trend magazine (Feb 01) describes the 80 MPG GM Precept (production prototype by 2004)

Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx

I rented one of those Chevrolet Chevy Pop Joys while I was in Cancun. They cost a little over $8,000 US dollars (about 75,000 pesos) new. Air is an extra $1,000 (about 9,200 pesos) and they get a 1 year 20K km warranty. It drove OK compared to the Accent I have and the Metro I used to have. But you can't get an automatic except on the Monza sedan. I saw tons of them and wish I could import one. I'll be looking into that over the coming weeks to see if it is possible and if so, how much it would cost. I could probably buy a used one; they have been sold there since 1994.
  • adromadrom Member Posts: 2
    Well I'm having a problem on whether to purchase, as my first car, a Metro with a 3-cyl or a 4cyl(swift also). I'm interesed in this vehicle because of it's dependability and the gas mileage. So if anyone would like to respond in telling their experiences with the 3 and 4 bangers please do so. Thank You.
  • thinksmallthinksmall Member Posts: 2
    I've owned a 1997 3 cylinder Metro for a year. In my opinion, it's the ultimate in efficient transportation. Only cost me $5000, gets 45 mpg and carries an amazing amount of stuff with the back seat folded down. What's not to like? Sure it's slow, but I don't care. It gets up to highway speed eventually. Best benefit of owning this car? You get to feel morally superior to all those climate changing SUV drivers! (Just don't let them hit you.)
    I have learned that a Chevy Pop/Joy/Swing can NOT be imported into the US under any circumstances. I hate the EPA. This car gets lower emissions and better gas mileage then half the new cars for sale in the US but because it does this WITHOUT a catalytic converter it is not permitted here. What a load of crap.

The 1995-2001 Metro and Swift are MUCH tougher cars than the 1989-1994 models. I liked my 1995 LSi hatchback and ran it from 63K up over 110K with no problems. Still running when I got rid of it.

I'm considering the purchase of a used 1998 Swift GL automatic because it is one of the few cars I can get credit for. But I will continue searching for a cheaper 95-96 Metro. I found one off Autotrader.com near Pittsburgh (28 hours away from Dallas) with 180K-plus on it for $995. Wonder if it still runs or if the dealer still has it for sale? It might be worth the trip. Anyone here have a way-high mileage 95-up model to sell? My email is in my profile if you do. Hey new guy, look through all the 300 posts in here, start at the beginning, and you'll see lots of people like these cars. Too bad you can't buy a new Metro anymore and good luck finding a Suzuki dealer with one in stock but if you do, you'll like it!
  • ineedageoineedageo Member Posts: 2
    Minds of the Metro!
    If you have to drive 750 miles with the A/I blasting and stopping for only gas breaks, would you rather have the 3 or 4 cylinder Ego metro? More to the point, would a 3 cylinder metro over heat or blow up doing that in 90 plus degree heat? My old 1987 4 cylinder carry could do it crazing 90 mph without breaking a sweat.

I have an 8 cylinder D150 truck that I want to sell in order to get a ego metro. I only have the truck cause it was a great deal. I had a toyota carry wagon for the past 12 years. Sold it when it went over 200,000 miles. I miss 4 doors and a hatch! Snip, snip, I loved and miss that car:(
    I would get a 1994 metro with the 4 door hatch but I should get a 1996 for more life.
    Anyone want a D150 to trade for a Metro:) Somehow I doubt it.
    I do that 750 mile trip 6 to 8 time a year.
  • ineedageoineedageo Member Posts: 2
    I need a Geo
    A Geo Metro to cruze around in the night
    I'ts gotta be small and it's gotta be cool
    I think a hatch back is otta sight.

I need a Geo
    A Geo Metro with a 5 speed at my side
    A nice tape deck and all my cassettes
    A 96 with low miles outta sight.
    I need a GEO!

.....Sorry, I lost it for a bit. I hate my gas guzzler 8 cylinder and I need a Geo! Great things come in small packages and I get my ego from good gas mileage.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    I own a 93 Metro 5-spd and I love it. The 1.0 litre engine provides decent pep around town but is not so good for long highway rides. In seven years of ownership the only repair I've made was a set of new brake rotors (although my muffler is about ready to go). Gas mileage is still 40+. Four people fit easily. The only thing I would change is the 12" wheels. Does anyone know if it's easy to switch to 13" or 14"?

By the way, thanks to the folks who post in this forum (esp. frequent contributors) this has become on of the BEST places on the internet for Metro owners to go for info. Keep up the great work!
    I have a 1994 4 Door Metro with the 1.0 litre engine with a 5 speed. I switched the 12" to 185/60 HR 14 on a 14" X 6" rim. If I were to do it over again I would search a little harder and go with a 185/55 HR 14. The 185/60's are a over a inch taller than the 155/12's and although I never have a problem with the tires rubbing ever the result of the taller tire has been to make the Metro even more gutless with a lower final drive ratio (higher geared).

But it did make a incredible difference in the way the car drives and handles. It is a really blast to drive now and handles sooo much better and is way safer than before. I would recommend this upgrade to any Metro owner, but like I said I would try and find 185/55 HR 14's as my first choice and 185/60 HR 14's as my second. Here is a link to the picture so you can see what it looks like.

http://i5.yimg.com/5/7764e91/h/7f1ee4bd/P4130001.JPG

Try this link instead

http://photos.yahoo.com/inuvik_nwt