Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Thanks for the tip, inuvik. I'm going to check out some auto shops today. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for (185/55 R14s) at a decent price since I also have to replace my stock muffler & exhaust due to rust. Bummer, that.

I saw your photos: that's a nice looking pair of Metros you've got there! Wish I had the hatch window wiper. Keep them running strong...
  • urbandriverurbandriver Member Posts: 1
    A little history: I'm a die-hard mid-size sedan fan, having driven my '93 Dodge Spirit (also extremely reliable, as I see Metros are from the posts here) to 135,000 currently, and plan on taking her to 200,000 at least.

While having my shocks and struts replaced recently (the first time it's needed done) I had an occasion to rent a red 2000 Metro 4-door LSI from a local Enterprise Rental outlet. (Auto)

I have to say, it surprised me! I thought it would just get me around for the day, but I really liked it. And I see after reading through the postings here that it's no longer available? Rats! I was looking at a new Nissan Sentra GXE for $15,000, but there was just something about the Metro that I took to, and in only one day. Yes, it's slow to accelerate compared to my 100hp Spirit, but I'm not a speed demon anyway. At 31, I'm one of those people you see doing maybe 5 mph over the speed limit, but no more. My main priorities in finding another car are: 1. Reliability 2. Price 3. Space (Roominess). From what I've read here, reliability is excellent. And I know about the cars roominess (I'm 6'1 and the car almost seems to have more up front room than my mid-size spirit. How about price? And milage?

I was ready to put a new Metro on my consideration list, but as it's no longer available new, is it a good buy used? I found a '99 locally (same as above) "loaded" for 8,850 with 34,000 on the odo. Opinions?

This seems a very informative and friendly group, so I thought I'd take a chance and ask.

Thanks for your time.
    I don't know about price "new", but I do know that the Geo Metro has been discontinued for the 2001 model year (a quick check of Chevy's website revealed that). If you can find a leftover 2000 on a dealer's lot he or she will probably be happy to see you take it away.

They are a good buy used IF you get as much info as you can about the vehicle's history. Metros are very durable but require strict adherence to regular maintenance to stay that way. If the previous owner was negligent in this regard, you may want to look elsewhere. You could probably find a decent used Metro for anywhere from $1,500 - $9,000 depending on model year and your geographic location. Mileage is great (about 45 MPG on the highway for my 1993 H/B) but I would personally avoid the auto tranny and stay with a manual as it can affect performance and mileage noticeably.

One more thing - I have noticed that in my area of the country (Northeast; suburban NYC) that there are very few used Metros available anywhere. I wonder if this is because: a) people who bought Metros don't want to sell them, or b) very few Metros were sold in this area in the first place. Scenario b) doesn't seem logical to me since this crowded area of the USA is the perfect stomping ground for Metros.

Good luck in your search, urbandriver. I hope you will be happy with your Metro. They are tough little cars -- sort of like the modern reincarnation of the "old" VW Beetles.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    If you can find a newer LSI with low miles I'd go for it! On of the things that I would look for though would be a 5 speed instead of a automatic. Unfortunately the auto is only a 3 speed and really cuts down the driveability and mileage.
    Good service records would be a must too. Unfortunately since Metro's weren't all that expensive new it attracted "owners from hell". The kind of people that buy a car, never maintain it, drive the life right out of it and after a couple of years wonder why they are starting to have problems and call the car "junk".
    Properly maintained there is no reason you can't get 150K-200K+ out of a Metro. Suzuki quietly has made awesome small displacement motors for over 15 years now. Here in the Pacific NW I still see a lot of '85-'87 Sprints. Pretty good for a car that cost $5000.00-6,000.00 brand new.
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    If you're serious on purchasing a NEW 2001 Metro, they are available but....
    Only as a "fleet" purchase (buying 5 or more).
    You might not like the changes either. The 2001 Metro is offered in the 4 dr model only,... and only available as an automatic. The ABS braking system is no longer offered as an option and the only radio you can get is AM/FM. Gone also is the optional tach.
    An alternative would be to see Suzuki. The 2001 Swift is in it's last year (or so I'm told). However,...
    The Swift is only available as a hatchback. If you liked the 4 door, sorry.
    I had a 1991 Metro Hatchback and traded it in for a new 2000 Metro LSi Hatchback and it hasn't given me any problems. Would I buy another one? Yes!
  • gr8gal27gr8gal27 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1992 Geo 3 days ago and my engine could be going. Of all the luck. First they thought it was the transmission but then they said the E word. I figure i am probably going to get screwed in the deal since they will just band-aid it until my 30 day warranty is up and then I will have to do something crazy like get a motor. Anyone else have problems like this one???

gr8gal
    So what are it's symptoms? If you could give us a list of what you observe is going on with the car and also what they are telling you I'm pretty sure that between all of the regular posters we can help you out. After all, we "Metronians"© have to stick together!!
    To gr8gal27: Sorry to hear about your possible E-word trouble. Suzuki is known for making dependable small engines so if you gave us a description of your symptoms we might be able to offer advice. Metro engines are reported to be expensive (although it looks like you could lift one up with one hand) to replace.

Metronians -- I love it! Did you actually get that copyrighted, inuvik?
  • adromadrom Member Posts: 2
    I posted on JAN. 26, 2001 asking about the 3 and 4 cylinder engines, well anyway, it took some time but I found a 1998 Chev. Metro LSi 4DR, 5SPD, A/C, and a CD player. But, there's always a but, it has nearly 77,000 miles on it. The price is $3,495 though. So I know the price is good because KBB price is nearly $8,000. So now my question is will this car last for, say, at least 3 years with no high cost maintenence? So if someone has one with a few miles like the one I might buy please post asap. Thank you, Metronians.
    Check out the trunk and inner front fenders to look for overspray to see if it has ever been wrecked. If it has never been totalled and even reasonably maintained I would buy it. Offer them $3200.00 and see if they'll bite. It probably will need brakes pretty soon. Check the A/C for cold air. The clutch should engage a couple of inches from the floor and should have at least one inch of free play with the pedal all the way out. It shouldn't chatter or shudder either. Idle should be smooth and the valve train should be quiet and the exhaust shouldn't smoke. Good Luck!
    Oh and by the way I can't copyright "Metronian(s)"® but I can claim it as a Registered Service Mark
  • slbushwayslbushway Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Geo Metro 5-speed and I need to increase the idle and while I have a book I can't find that screw. This is fuel injected. Can someone please help
  • shaggyman1shaggyman1 Member Posts: 28
    The very first thing to do is a compression test on all three cylinders- they should be about the same. If one is lower, a pressure bleed-down test can tell you if it is a bad valve, rings, or a blown head gasket. The test should be fairly cheap, and definitely worth it.
    GM put out a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)in August of 1993 (Number 92-362-6A titled "Stalling, Loss of Power". It states the cause as "High pressure in the hydraulic lifter assemblies may result in valves not closing completely due to the inability of the lifter to bleed oil quickly enough during the cold start cycle". This causes the exhaust valves, pertiularly in #2 cylinder, to burn, destroying compression and performance. Might be your problem- I know it's mine. GM specifies replacing the lifters with Part Number 17106263.
    My fix, rather than a valve job, etc., is to buy an engine from Japanese Engines. They import engines with less than 40K miles. The one I am getting has 30k on it, and sells for $495 including four-day shipping to your door. Or, you can try going to your dealer, mentioning the TSB, and see if they will fix it. This problem existed in all 1989, thru 1991 models, and in 1992 models thru IN 2C1MR2160N6761708.
  • towmantowman Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 1997 Metro Lsi with 37,000 miles at a price I just couldn't pass up ($1500). It has a salvage title but I bought it tow behind my RV. I don't find anything wrong with it but a broken drivers side mirror. Do any of you know where I might be able to find a mirror for it? I am considering the junk yard but need to wait for warmer weather. I leave near Indy and am also going to use it to commute to work. So far I love it. I plan to check the milage on it. It is an automatic do any of you know what kind of gas milage I should expect? I thinking around 28-30.

TowMan....
    Congratulations on becoming a Metro owner. Sounds like you got a good bargain. You may find that these little cars have a way of growing on you!

I believe the Metros with A/T were three-speeds, so your mileage estimate sounds about right for city driving. Expect a few more MPG on the highway. As for your mirror, I have noticed that Metro parts may be hard to find in some places so you might strike out at the junkyard. A dealer can order the part for you but it may be expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all outside mirrors on these cars (with the exception of the convertible model) were black so if you find one at the junkyard you won't have to fret about a color mismatch.

One thing to watch for -- the stock exhaust systems tend to develop rust problems at around 40k-45k miles.

Happy motoring.
    I've been considering buying a new, affordable hatch back or wagon to replace my 1993 Metro 5-speed. I'm thinking low-price brands like Hyundai and Kia. I have a daily 50-mile round trip commute to and from the office so economy and reliability are my two greatest concerns.

But then I got to thinking about my bone-stock little Metro (named Ruby) which has served me faithfully for seven years. She's only got 45k on the odometer and she runs like a Swiss watch. Why would I want to ditch a perfectly good and reliable car that's also paid for?

So I guess if I'm going to keep her I might want to make some upgrades so she's easier to live with on a daily basis. I'm seeking advice from my fellow "Metronians" (credit inuvik for the catchy name) on the following upgrades:

1. Wheels and tires: I'm considering replacing the 12" wheels with either OEM 13" or after market 14". Several previous posts dealt with this so I know the appropriate sizes I will need. Can anyone recommend a particular brand or retailer?

2. Steering wheel: since the day I bought it my Metro has emitted an annoying rattle from inside the steering column. Only occurs while idling. I've pulled the dash and can't seem to find the source. Placing my hands on top of the wheel stops the noise. Would switching to a heavier steering wheel help? Besides, the thin and slippery stock wheel has never been my favorite. Something meatier may quell the rattle and make driving more fun.

3. Air conditioning: my Metro does not have factory A/C. This wasn't a problem until I moved to NJ, where we have God-awful humidity beginning every May. I've installed a huge pop-up sunroof but that's not totally satisfying. Is it possible (or practical) to retrofit factory A/C to a seven year-old vehicle? Alternatively, has anyone tried to hard-wire a small interior fan (like the kind you see in big-rigs or city buses) inside their Metro? This may be a more cost-effective way to keep cool.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ps - OPEC passes 4% production cutbacks....Summer gas prices due to rise....Metro owners may smile now :-)
    CJ,

Thanks for the advice on the exhaust. I guess I needed to give more details on the mirror problem. The mirror housing is ok - it's the part that attaches the mirror into the exterior black housing. I checked at NAPA and they don't have the plastic piece that connects to the adjustment arm. It's getting warmer now and I am planning a trip to the junk yard as soon as I can find some free time.

Thanks again, Jeff
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I have a 1990 Metro 5 dr with the 3 cyl engine and 84K miles which was a dealer runabout. The trasnmission went (my son will never admit, but believed he tried to tow a car out at school in the snow !).

The dealer wanted close to $5500 to replace, but by chance found an article about a company called Solectria in MA who take Metro's rip out the engine and gearbox to be replaced with electric motors.

I called them and they had an 89 engine and tranny in the workshop from an old Metro which they had crash tested.They removed the tranny and shipped it to a shop where it was installed. Total bill was around $750 for transmission/shipping and installation. Worked fine ever since.

May be still a good source, but must have correct model year because of changing electronics. Wanted $1000 for brand new engines.
  • nollspnollsp Member Posts: 1
    I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to find a group that cherishes its autos - instead of assembling a class action suit against the manufacturer.

Anyway - due to the rising price of fuel and my long (time not distance) commute in the DC area - I have decided to buy a Metro. I have found one from a lady at work for what I think to be a pretty good deal. Ir is a 1998 LSI Sedan w/ A/C, CD and Auto (I really wanted the 5spd). The car was driven since new by their daughter to college and back several times - I think it has about 58K on it.

First - is this a decent deal? Second, I am in with this car for the long haul. I assume these things need timing belts somewhere along the way. Basically, what are my 60-75K maintenace reqs. and then 75-125K reqs as well (if it will go that far).
    The car has all the oil change receipts - but other than oil - nothing else has been touched.

Thanks so much - great group,

-sn
    You didn't mention the purchase price of your Metro. It seems like 58k is a little high mileage for a 3 year-old car but if it's in overall good shape and it's been maintained well then I'd give it a shot. After all, these cars are not for sale to Joe & Jane Consumer anymore. Get your hands on a future classic!

Watch out for the exhaust starting to rust. Usually happens around 45k or four to five years. Other than that, if the normal maintenance items have been attended to, you shouldn't have any major repairs to look forward to any time soon.

One thing I've discovered -- it's quite easy to knock the front windows off their tracks. In my 1993 this has happened twice. It's a pain in the neck to re-set them, too. The easy way to avoid this kind of trouble is not to slam the doors with the windows partway down. Consider it a lesson learned the hard way by yours truly!
  • pastaheadpastahead Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a rear compartment cover for 90-94 4dr Geo Metro..... and for conversation sake my car has 165,000 mi on it and still going strong......and of course with a big smile at the gas pump!
    UPDATE;

I finally stopped for gas the first mileage check is 31mpg. This has exceeded my expectations. It got cold this weekend and I was not able to make it to the junk yard to look for a mirror. I also have taken my Metro on a tow trip to KY. I have to keep reminding myself the little guy is still back there. Lucky for me I have a back-up monitor and can check it out every so often. These are great cars for towing behind a RV. I luv it more and more!!!! What a steal! More later.... Towman....
    Your comment about the company that buys Metros and rips the engine and gear box to replace with an electric motor intrigues me. I wonder if some after market company will think of marketing this concept. Instead of replacing the engine with a gas engine the owner could opt for and electric... Since I only drive mine on short trips I might consider that as an option if available when/if it ever comes to that. Maybe then I could get 100 miles per KiloWatt....HA.....
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Go to www.solectria.com. Gives all the info for those interested.
  • thebluestreakthebluestreak Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad to find such a lively group concerned with the Ego Metro. I started looking for an economical car because I drive 50 miles per day with the commute to my job. I'm a high school science teacher and just can't afford the gas prices for the pick-up I was using for the commute. A friend told me about a Ego Metro he had seen at a garage sale so I went and looked at it. I had been researching the Ego Metro by looking at reviews on the Car Guys site and asking around. It seems most people really love their Metro's with very few having problems. I bought my 1992 4-door hatch back with the 3 cylinder 1 liter engine for 800 dollars. It needed some work and have ended up putting an additional 1000$ in for repairs. It is driving great and in warmer weather it gets 43 mpg. It originally had factory air but the clutch on the compressor had gone bad so was disconnected before I got it. I also noticed that it had the compressor changed once before. For about $150 I could get a rebuild compressor and have it installed. It does seem that the air conditioned is a common problem and I'm wondering if I should just put up with humid Missouri summers and save on my gas mileage by not getting the work done. Any opinions?
    Welcome to the club, bluestreak. I'm sure you will enjoy your Metro. I have a 1993 2-door with the 1.0 litre/5-speed setup. Mine did not come equipped with A/C and there are times during our humid NJ summers when I would gladly kill to have it. If it's at all practical, I would recommend repairing yours. You will suffer a mild performance and mileage penalty but you will be more comfy. I have installed a pop-up sunroof (about $150) in my car, which helps with ventilation. The sunroof also makes the cabin feel more airy.

You will find that your Metro, if cared for properly, will reward you with years of faithful service. Mine has been completely buried in snowdrifts, driven over dirt roads, driven through eight inches of standing water (I don't advise this) and carried many heavy loads of passengers and outdoor gear. All it ever asked for was a little gas, regular oil changes and a clean-up every so often. It has never failed to start at the first turn of the key. The Metro is, IMO, the modern incarnation of the original VW Beetle. Simple, tough, economical and reliable.
    Although you can't buy a new Metro from Chevrolet you can still get a Swifts from Suzuki. I just returned from a trip to Arizona and the Suzuki dealer in Kingman Arizona had a good supply of Swifts, I counted 7. Prices were great $8995.00 & $9995.00. Just thought I'd let everyone know because this is your last chance to get one because 2001 is it.
    But I'll continue to happily drive my 1994 4dr, which now has 126k and continues to be a great car. No problems yet. I have put 37k on this car in a year (122 mile a day commute). I have put a set of plugs, distributor cap & rotor, PCV, and front/rear brake pads/shoes and changed the oil. That's it.
    Cjacetta, you are right, the Metro IS the VW Beetle of the 90's, simple, ultra reliable, affordable, effecient. IMO I have never owned a better car, even those I have bought new.
    Metronians® unite!!!
  • thebluestreakthebluestreak Member Posts: 2
    I'm at a loss as to what some of the abbreviations are. What does IMO stand for?

By the way, I have a weekend job that has a big garage with hoses and drains that's heated in the winter. (The garage that's heated, not the hoses and drains.) My coworkers think I'm obsessive because I've washed that Geo almost every weekend this winter, regardless of the weather. It's body is in such great shape that I want to maintain its great looks as long as I can.

Speaking of the Beetle for the 90's, I came close to buying a 74 super Beetle. It was hunter green, my dream car, until I talked to the owner and found out the gas mileage and how much work has to be done to maintain a Beetle. A mechanic friend of mine said that the Beetle engine is not known for being a reliable engine. They're just real easy to work on and rebuild.

I like my REAL economy car. It's a dark blue, hence the name Blue Streak. My students at school think it's a hoot. They notice things like the little TV I've mounted on the dash (I picked it up a garage sale for 2 bucks).

The local Salvation Army Store had an orginal equipment Delco radio with Geo on it for 5 dollars. The radio with cassette that is in it now is some off brand called Radion. How 'bout it, should I part with 5 bucks to make it more original?

Later fellow Metronians!
    IMO=In My Opinion
    IMHO=In My Humble Opinion
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    it depends on what kind of job was done when the cheap radio was installed. If they cut up all the wires you'll need to rewire the radio and get connectors to connect the Geo radio. If they did it right and used the right connectors the Geo radio will plug right in. You'll also need 4 screws to hold the radio in place. You can also get for $20-$50 from most junkyards a decent Geo AM-FM cassette radio, but don't hold your breath for the 3-in-1 combo. That has the AM-FM radio, a cassette deck, and a CD player in one unit. I haven't seen one for sale on eBay that went for less than $200 yet, and you don't see them at junkyards, they are rare enough as it is, I'll bet people'd spend thousands on their Metro to keep it running so they can use that awesome all-electric stereo.
    Hey it's good to hear from you again, it's been awhile since I've seen you post. Just wanted to get a update on your latest car. I think you had a Cavalier last time and wanted to dump it. Any luck? I know that I've owned a ton of cars but I think you've got me beat by a mile.
    Does anyone know how much a salvage title devalues the sale price of a vehicle? As I stated earlier I bought this 1997 Two Door Metro LSi with 37,500 miles for $1500. I appraised it on Edmunds and the trade-in is $3,565 private party sale is $4,103 or Dealer retail is $4,691. I understand these prices are a little inflated because I bought an S-10 in November for $5500 that Edmunds priced out at $6900 dealer retail and was barely able to unload it for $5300. But was just curious if anyone has an idea of how much of a hit a salvage title can take. I have no idea what happened to cause it to have a salvage title. I have check the car over thoroughly and can't see any evidence of a recent paint job. The stickers that are normally under the hood when new are still there and the car is in excellent running condition save for the driver side mirror - broken control arm. Welcome your comments. TowMan.....
    My understanding is that a salvage title can reduce the value of a vehicle from anywhere from 10-25%. But I have known plenty of people that have sold salvaged titled vehicles for full retail price. So I would say that you got the deal of the century. Just my 2 cents.
  • grover90grover90 Member Posts: 4
  • grover90grover90 Member Posts: 4
    o., so I've fixed brakes maybe 20 times, but when I get to my new baby's brakes, and I'm frozen half way through- if the auto parts store had a manual for my 90 2dr, I would simply follow the instructions...
    any clues as to where I look?
  • gagewsgagews Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a Geo Metro today. It's a 1997 with 80K for about 2700. It was actually more, but with my trade in actual worth, I figure that was the ending price.

I'd like to get a compression check done soon, but will need to shop around. With that many miles(no history) and such a small engine, it's not a bad idea.

I've noticed websites where you can purchase extended warranty, but cannot claim until after 1-3 months. I am not sure how well they pay out if something major goes wrong... http://warrantybynet.com

They don't require an inspection...

I had an older F150 truck that was sucking money from me at the Gas station. I figured that I would go the extreme side with the best fuel mileage car(minus hybrid). That's how I found these cars and at such a good price. I compared light trucks for the same price, but they were really beat up.

My mom has a 3 cylinder Daihatsu, which is comparitable, but don't have that 'Egg' shape to them.

When I drive down the road, I see all those people in their gas guzzling Trucks and SUV's, etc. Who really needs a vehicle that large anyway? I guess, there are times to tow trailers, etc. But many of them don't even have the need. If I need a truck, I'll just ask a friend or rent one from UHAUL.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers that everything holds up on it. In high school and college, I've had some real lemons, so I know the signs. At any rate, it's a lot better than the truck I just traded-in. I hope they fix that up before they sell it...

I'd rather take my chances in my egg with wheels:)

Gagews

• ajb4ajb4 Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering about 3 cylinders, what good are they? With only 58 horses on tap are they even worth buying? My lawn mower almost has that much!!!
    actually it's only 49hp
    Well 3 cylinders are good for 50+ MPG. When gas hits $3.00 a gallon this summer me and my 3 cylinders will be smiling a ear to ear grin.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    the cars only weigh 1800-2000lbs. So 48hp (older models and XFi's) or 55hp (newer models) is plenty to move it with the 5-speed. The 4-cylinder Metros have either 70 or 79hp and that is enough. The 1995 LSi automatic hatchback I had could move just fine. Can your lawnmower keep up with the you-can't-go-too-fast-on-I-635-Dallas traffic?
    I don't know, we'll have to race sometime lol!
    One of the things I've noticed with the 4 cylinders is, the the smaller ones (1.5,1.6) tend to have more little quirks, like loud noise and vibrations and I was wondering about the 3's.
    I'm ordering a manual, but does anyone know how to disable the passanger side air bag? '97 Metro..

Thanks.
    Try a hatchet.
    Hatchet no workie
  • dcb111dcb111 Member Posts: 1
    I've always owned cheap little compact cars. couple of years ago I was looking for some parts for my 1988 Chevy Sprint and found 2 other Chevy Sprints exactly like mine in a junk yard. Between the three cars I was able to piece together a very reliable nice-looking little car. I discovered how cheap the engines are to purchase from Japan. You can buy a used engine for the Sprint or metro with 30-50,000 miles for around $500. Then I came across a 1992 Geo metro convertible in my local newspaper and was able to buy if for$300. Of course the engine was blown but the body was in really good shape so I bought a re manufactured engine installed for $1500. I have about$2000 invested in the car and I love it. It runs and looks brand new. Yesterday I was approached buy another metro fan that offered me $3,800 for it. I should sell it and make a profit but I just can't part with it.
    I was wondering if anyone has any information on the convertibles. Like their history and when they were last made. I don't see many like mine.
  • geo2356geo2356 Member Posts: 4
    I was responding you one of the messages about the Geo Cd/cassette player, They are excellent sound systems I looked for one for my 97 Metro for over a year and then I found one on ebay for 189.00, at first I was thinking i was crazy for paying that much for an oem system but once I installed it I knew that I had made a great deal, they are 650.00 at the Chevrolet dealership.
    The Metro Convertible was made from 1990-1993. While the rest of the Metro line-up was being made in Canada the Convertibles were still being imported from japan, Ive heard that in a few years they will be worth a good bit of money thats why I plan to hold onto my 1992 convertible as long as possible.
    Ive just joined this message board tonight and I was wondering If maybe someone could help me out with a question? Has anyone else had any head/valve probelems with there Metro's? Ive got two 1990 Metros one four door and the other two doors but both of them lost compression due to valve problems according to my local mechanic, I thought you unusual considering that ive taken such care of the two door and it still died with 101,000 miles, then I bought the four door and after a month the exact same thing happened to it? I thought that maybe since I had both of mine to do this that it was a common problem with these cars? I also have a 1997 Metro LSI coupe which is a great car I would never part with it and I have a 1992 Metro Convertible LSI with 84,000 miles.....I noticed this 1992 Metro has alot of loud tapping, I pray it isnt the valve thing again because I just bought this for 1800.00 and I would hate to see that much money go up in smoke like that, its bad enough I bought the four door for 500.00 and it died right off the bat like that..anyway if anyone knows anything about this problem or a way to prevent it let me know thats.
    Unfortunately since a lot of Metro's haven't been properly maintained they have a tendency to burn the valves in cylinder #3 due to people letting the oil levels get too low and under higher rpm's the valves will starve for oil. Also the seal under the intake will sometime develop air leaks. Usually the sign of air leakage is a excessively high idle speed. The result of the air leak is a over lean condition which causes the valve to overheat and burn eventually.

If you do get a burnt valve I would just replace the entire head. There are a few places that will exchange the entire head for only a couple of hundred bucks. I've done it and it's really a pretty easy job. Took me about a hour of actual time under the hood.

You usually don't have to worry about the bottom end on Metro's. You have to remember the 1.0 3cyl and the 1.3 4cyl are the same motor except for the number of cylinders. So the crank bearings on the 1.0 are really oversized for the amount of displacement the engine really has. Of course this is the reason why the engine can go 250K+. Hope this helps.
  • lorbeertlclorbeertlc Member Posts: 38
    Hi,
    I've bought a 1991 Geo Metro 3 cyl 5spd hatchback and it ran great up till around 68,000 miles.
    After that I noticed a drop in performance. I thought it might have needed a tune up. Until it couldn't pass the smog test.
    Turned out I had burned an exhaust valve. THAT was expensive! Other than that, they seem to run like a swiss watch. Very reliable.
    I had the 1991 till it had around 121,000 miles. Never replaced the clutch and only the brake pads once! After hearing GM was going to discontinue selling the Metro, I decided to buy the last year model and trade in my '91.
    I now own a 2000 Metro LSi w/auto trans, a/c, and EVERY available option that was offered! Even though it cries for a 4th speed overdrive, I can't complain. I love that car. The 4 cyl really adds more power. But you can't knock the great gas mileage of a 3 cyl manual.
    -Tom