Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Daewoo Lanos, don't believe Edmunds

Comments

• getjesusnowgetjesusnow Member Posts: 26
    Thank you to everyone for their honest input, biased & unbiased. I'm kinda burnt with this site and will be leaving for a while.

Everyone enjoy their cars and best wishes for satisfaction & reliability, no matter how new or how old your vehicle(s) may be.

Later!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Clarification is in order because you are making assumptions that should not be made. My Dad knows very well how to maintain a car and so do I. I have an 84 VW GTI that has over 200K miles and I do quite a bit of the maintenance myself. He does almost all the maintenance and repairs needed on all our cars. He bought a 66 Ford Fairlane GT convertible new and still owns it to this day and it has never been to a shop other than for exhaust repairs. It is still driven at least twice a week and is reliable. As far as the Honda Accord goes, he maintained that car religiously. The coolant was replaced every 2 years as directed but that didn't stop the plastic radiator from bursting while on the highway. The CV boots could have been replaced, BUT it is cheaper nowadays to just buy a whole new axle than it is to fool with the stupid boot (the labor involved). I noticed that you completely ignored the distributor failure and did not even try and justify that. Just for your knowledge, distributor failures are common on 90-93 Honda Accords, 92-93 Civics, and 92-94 Vigors. Just be glad you CRX didn't fall into that range. This repair costs $400 or more.
    As to Hyundai, what right do you have to say these things when you have never owned one nor even driven one. Yeah, back in 1990, the Excel was quite crude compared to your CRX. A lot has changed since than. The gap has narrowed quite a bit and you can't make assumptions about something you have never even driven. Lastly, I suggest you read other forums and listen to how many people complain about problems in the first year of ownership. I am happy with my car and that is all that matters. This is all pointless anyway because you obviously are one ignorant person. Enjoy your 10 year old Honda. The CRX is a nice car and it is sad that they don't make it anymore. By the way, I would be happy to show how easily my GTI would outhandle your CRX. :)
  • freakncrxfreakncrx Member Posts: 17
    You started out your response so well, you touched on disputable statements and stated a few facts. Then you got to the end and acted like a 13 year old girl. What gives?
    Yes i did ignore the distributor problem intentionally because it has been a small problem for Honda. Once again though, i never stated that Honda is perfect, only that their vehicles are some of the most reliable and well built on the road. Hyundai cant say anything close to that.
    The infamous CRX is still a sharp car even for being 10 years old. People have wanted Honda to reintroduce a new CRX since then. No one is wishing Hyundai would bring back a certain model. Funny, i cant think of one halfway attractive Hyundai other than the new Sonata(sp?).
    True i have never owned a Hyundai. The closest i came was dating a girl with one. Let me think back about the car....UGLY...excessive road noise...wind noise....engine noise...trans noise. The parts were made of the cheapest materials Korea could find, and then they had a tendency to fall off. If that wasnt enough of a reason to question Hyundai, Consumers Reports has had a field day making fun of Hyundai's cars.
    Are they improved?, well any idiot knows it takes more than 7,000 miles to determine that(except you of course). I guarantee that the first Hyundai owners of the Hyundais that you admit were crap were also fooled by the first 7,000 miles into believing their cars were quality. I guess things do happen in cycles.
    Do you always get your German GTi to fight your Hyundai's battles? I noticed you didnt disagree(for a change) that my 10 year old CRX wouldnt run circles around your brand spankin new box on wheels that you spent thousands and thousands for. But for the record, bring on the GTi. The only GTi that ever impressed me had nitrous.
    I didn't try to compare the Hyundai to your CRX performance wise, because I'm not stupid and am fully aware of the numbers. They are not in the same class and as such cannot be compared. The CRX is a puny and light 2 seater with 108 hp coming from a 1.6 16 valve engine. My car only has 1.5 liters with 92 horses and 12 valves. Confound the smaller output with heavier weight (due in part to superior safety in the form of dual airbags, 2 side-impact beams per door and seat-belt pretensioners) and larger size, and it doesn't take a scientist to recognize the CRX as the clear winner in performance. Also take into account your car has 14" wheels with a sport tuned suspension and mine only has 13" wheels and no performance tuning and, once again, it would be pointless to compare handling. The Accent is NOT a performance car and I purchased it fully aware of that. It is a simple economy car meant to get you from A to B reliably and with few frills. So why not try making a comparison that makes sense? The Tiburon would be a more proper comparison. Its strong 2.0 liter twin cam 140 hp motor and Porsche-tuned suspension would compare quite favorably and so would its sporty good looks. When you actually do test drive a 20 grand Sonata (hardly cheap by any means) or any other Hyundai, than you can have a little more room to talk. Get back to me when you do. As of now, your remarks are clearly outdated and have no meaning. Like I said, enjoy your 10 year old CRX and I will enjoy my Accent. This debate is getting old and is falling on deaf ears anyway.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Friends, let's continue to disagree agreeably. Thanks!

carlady/host
    I'm all for a good debate, but even I can feel the tension when I read the latest messages in this forum. Ouch!!!

Peace to all for the Holiday Season that is quickly sneaking up on us all. May you all experience warmth & good tidings this year (especially all those wonderful car enthusiats' gifts) Everyone have fun and be thankful for reliable transportation, whether seasoned or not-so-seasoned. See ya!!!
  • freakncrxfreakncrx Member Posts: 17
    My other comments will be on the Hyundai Accent board if anyone cares..(sound of crickets).

In case anyone hasn't picked up the latest 2001 Consumer Reports annual reviews, let me quote what they have to say for the Daewoo Lanos.

---->"About the size of the Hyundai Accent but a lot cruder, less nimble, and more cramped. The engine is a 1.6-liter four. Like other Daewoos, this car is priced competively and comes well equipped."

Now how is that for sticking to the topic? Keith? Hall monitor? Oh, i couldn't get to the link you posted Keith. Maybe the net is too busy or something, who knows.
    Your message details a very prominent periodical that did across-the-board reviews of used cars. I have also read that edition of Consumer Reports...a very fair assessment, especially since you also find reviews for cars costing $40K, $50K, $60K in the same edition.

For other reviews of Daewoos done from 1998-2000, here's another link. I hope it works, the page is still coming up for me. I also tested the USA Today report link, it is still an active page.

http://www.auho.com/98cars/DaewooLanos.html

This site offers links to other reviews & summaries for the Daewoo Lanos. Auto reviews offer 1 person's viewpoint, just as each message on this forum offers only 1 person's opinion & feelings on a matter.

In message # 140, in the "IMPRESSIONS" section, I stated, "my Daewoo is not a Ferrari, Mercedez-Benz, or Rolls-Royce. (ie: it doesn't have incredible acceleration, European refinement, or a hefty price tag)"

The Daewoo Lanos is a slightly refined econobox. The Daewoo Nubira is a nice compact family hauler.
    The Daewoo Leganza offers some luxury amenities.
    Very fair assessments. Not the biggest, fastest, or best in any category. Simply good priced cars that get a person from origin to destination.

Anyone in the market for a vehicle will draw on opinions & feedback from other people, market research, & their own personal experience...how they are treated by the dealer, the test drive, feelings from past experiences, etc.

In the end, each person must decide what he/she likes in a car and purchase the one that "fits" them: new vs. used, domestic vs. import, compact vs. larger, extended warranties vs. "a waste of money", so on and so forth.
    Correction for last message...slight typo...

http://biz.yahoo.com rf/001110/seo2642.html

Sorry about that.
    Some of the links stated above are working, some don't. They come up from the Yahoo website and I'm trying to type the links exactly as they appear. I am also having some trouble getting them to come up, not sure if it's network trouble or sheer high volume of surfers. If you go to Yahoo, type in Daewoo Lanos, and select "News" under the "Media" heading under the type-in box, they should come up...have fun. I quit after this last correction...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/001003/ca_daewoo__2.html
    Here's a tip, getjesusnow. I find the easiest way to copy a link is to RIGHT click on the link I want and select "Copy Link Location." You can then paste the information wherever you want. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

In the meantime, thanks for all your hard work to bring these resources to the Town Hall.

carlady/host
    Do you have MSIE or Netscape...I don't get a "Copy Link Location"...with the MSIE that I have, I get cut copy and paste and it's a apin in the...you know where...ny other ideas, or am I doing the wrong thing and thank you for the encouragement. I still feel like a do-do for not practicing before messing up all the links.
    I use Netscape and so perhaps it is a local feature?

carlady/host
  • nubirapower4unubirapower4u Member Posts: 10
    I drove by the dealer the other day, and saw the new Daewoo Lanos SPORT WOW!! It was cool, it has alloys, a body kit, 2 tone red/black leather, and aluminum interior. It looks sharp. Only if they did that to a Nubira too.
    I went to the Orlando car show and saw the new Sport. I was quite impressed with the 2 tone (black/red) leather interior. It smelled like real leather and felt nice. I did not care for the steering wheel however. The red leather cover combined with a grayish wheel didn't match too well and looked too gaudy. I think a black cover would have been a better idea. The Lanos does look much sportier with the alloy wheels, rear spoiler, side skirts, and aggressive mesh front air dam. The rear taillamps have also been redesigned. I was a bit disappointed that it does not offer fog lamps, tachometer, or a power sunroof like the old Lanos SX. Nor did I like the shockingly high sticker of 13,380 which lacked the option of ABS. So, overall, I had mixed feelings about the new Sport. I applaude Daewoo for offering a unique and luxurious leather interior on an inexpensive sporty looking hatchback, but they didn't quite finish the product. It needs to also offer standard fog lamps, power sunroof, and 4 wheel discs with anti-lock control in order to complete the package. If they added those things and kept the price where it is, I just might consider it as my next car.
    This is an update about the same car that is discussed in message #140 of this topic.
    Date: 11/28/00 Current mileage: 17,845 miles

I'm taking the car in for its 18,000 mile service tomorrow (oil & oil filter change, tire rotation, brake system flush & fluid replacement, & the usual array of visual checks)

I bought the car in Tennessee & I am currently living in Maryland, where the climate is colder. The only minute annoyance is that the accessory belt pulleys "squeal" a wee-bit more when I start the car on cold mornings. The noise has been present since I purchased the car 7,000 miles ago.

It seems as though the colder climate is making the sound more noticable. I don't notice the noise as much after the car has been running for a while & has warmed up. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a sign of a bigger problem? Is it just another "quirk" that is common to Daewoo Lanos'?

Any feedback is welcome concerning this little nuisance. Thanks for your attention in this matter.

GetJesusNow@juno.com Keith Reh
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i had an 89 toyota corolla that made that noise (albeit didn't start until well over a 100,000 miles) and a little squirt of wd-40 would silence it for about 6 months.
    The "squeal" is not from the belt. It doesn't have the high pitched squeal of a worn out, slipping belt.

I don't know if I can really call it a squeal...it makes a bit of noticable noise. It seems to be the pulleys themselves, if that makes any sense.

I just had the 18,000 mile maintenance service done, which includes visual inspection of the belt, pulleys, and tensioner. I wasn't told that anything was wrong.

I'm just curious if anyone else with a Daewoo is having a similar experience. Thank you for the advice in #178, I'll keep that in mind.
    The sales of Daewoo cars in the U.S. remain strong despite news of bankruptcy by Daewoo Motors in Korea. The U.S. division has sent more than $600 million to the Korean division of Daewoo. Click on link below to read about it from a prominent Yahoo business news source.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/001202/ca_daewoo_.html
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    The latest I have heard is that Daewoo laid off all their NON-union workers and started building 2001 models again. I am seeing them on the roads in Dallas already (Lanos 4-door is a bit different) and the commercials on TV and the billboards for the Nubira and Leganza are still up. The dealers are open, and the radio ads are still running. They got their loan from the bank because they trimmed costs by firing the non-union workers who get paid less money to do more work. Go figure.

If it is the belt, belt dressing at about $4 a can will shut it up until it glazes over and snaps. If it is not the belt, maybe it is the bearing on the pulley. GM alternators, at least the CS110's, are known for frying bearings. They make a replacement alternator called the Iceberg which has a wider tougher bearing and better internal parts than the AC/Delco/GM part. If the bearing is the problem, either it is a cheap bearing, the belt is too tight, or the accessory has an extreme load. An A/C compressor in cold weather will be under a hard load. So will an alternator running the fan, lights, wipers, defroster, radio, tape or CD, electric shaver, CB radio, turn signals, cell phone charger, or any combination of the above while still charging the car battery at a 1000rpm idle. A failing power steering pump will whine, too. The Daewoo belt may be of a type of rubber that squeals at a different pitch. Maybe the dealer can locate the noise at your 18K service or the next one. Hopefully the belt doesn't break and leave you stranded in the meantime.
    Thank you for your expansive reply. Since I posted those messages, I have used some WD-40 on the smooth & "VEE" side of the belt. So far the noise is reduced. As far as the overall noise, it's not a loud and noticable whine, squeal, or wurr noting failure or premature wear. The overall 18K maintenance inspection didn't reveal anything.

I have also done a decent visual inspection and haven't found any remarkable wear, sheering, or cracking. Only the lettering on the smooth side is a bit removed. The overall tension seems to be okay...it has a wee bit of play, but not enough to jump off the pulleys.
  • toneusatoneusa Member Posts: 1
    We now have 7500 miles on 2000 lanos hatch back 5 speed. Highway mpg is still 30.5 to 31.5 at 65 to 70mph using the gears as a truck driver would: a long ways from the advertised possible 39mpg. If I'd known this would be the best we would have bought a used Metro for a disposable car.
  • int250int250 Member Posts: 6
    ALL OF THESE NEWER SMALL CARS ARE GEARED FOR ACCELERATION. NOW THAT GAS PRICES ARE HIGHER IT A SHAME THAT A MUCH BIGGER SATURN ACTUALLY GETS 8 MPG BETTER THAN LANOS. THAT IS SAD BECAUSE THE COST SAVING DISAPPEARS FAST (EVERY TIME YOU FILL YOUR TANK). KIA ALSO DID IT WITH RIO WHICH IS BASICALLY AN (FORD) ASPIRE WITH A TRUNK (((WITH PEPPIER ENGINE AND "NON ECONOMY GEARING")))). PRETTY SAD THAT IF I TRADED MY ASPIRE IN FOR A SO CALLED ECONOMY CAR THAT GETS 12 MPG LESS THAN MY CURRENT 42 MPG (ASPIRE MPG).
    SATURN HERE I COME !!!
  • carl491carl491 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Lanos Hatchback base model in Set 00,until Nov I got 32-34mpg, now is down to 30mpg at 6000 miles (Jan 01)I. live in the Chicago area, we are getting more than normal snow and cold weather. I expected to increase the mileage to about 37mpg like my 95 Honda Civic with almost 100K miles. The car is great, a little too light for snow, I skided once and hit the bumper and headlight ($200). I think I'll keep it for the 36K miles of warranty, then sell it. Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but I preferred a more "green car", and better gas mileage.
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    Remember, most mid western states (including IL) use a "winter blend" gas that causes poorer mileage for any car, not just Daewoos. Also remember that slogging through the snow and ice and cooler oil temperatures gobble up fuel, too. Finally, check the tire pressure, it can drop a little just because it's colder out.

This Carl lives in IA, and my mileage is always 5-10% worse in winter. My Nubira gets over 30 MPG in the warmer weather, but I don't even bother with tracking MPG in the winter time for the above reasons.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    My niece just bought a '01 Lanos base hatchback. She 's 21 and it's her first new car.
    I was amazed at how small this car is. She paid $12K for it.. She got Auto tranny, A/C and something else.. I think she paid too much but anyway.. I drove it around the block. It had 110 mi. on it. The car had OK acceleration for an auto but the steering didn't feel too accurate and the brakes were kind of mushy.. The interior and quality didn't feel too great.. When I pulled back into my driveway I parked it right next to my '97 Civic Hatchback and the Lanos seemed to be at least 1/2 foot shorter in length. The cargo/hatch space also seemed to be about 1/2 of my Civic's. I paid $12.4K for my Civic with 5-sp and A/C. Even if the Lanos was in the US in '97 (which it wasn't), it wouldn't be on my shopping list.. The Civic just looks much bigger and I don't like taking risks.
    Too bad Honda doesn't make the Hatchback for '01. People would have more hatchback choices.. BTW, I saw a few Lanos in Europe this year. I wouldn't say there were a lot of them. There were a lot more VW Polos, Fiats, Alfas and Renault hatchbacks, than Hondas and Daewoos.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    Your Civic hatchback cost $12,400 back in 1997. I priced them out in 1999/2000 before I got my Lanos hatchback. I couldn't get a comparably equipped (auto, AC, AM/FM stereo cassette, rear defrost, rear wiper, etc) for under $15,000 after dealer prep (pinstripe, paint sealant, upholstry protectant).

Most of the power train, chassis components, etc. are GM derived and parts are readily available on U.S. soil. The technology used in the car is proven; Daewoo automobiles are sold in over 180 nations. Insurance premiums are reduced on Daewoos also. There are pros & cons to every car purchase. Ride comfort and power are a bit reduced...but the car is pretty damn affordable.

Enjoy your Honda...they are good cars also. Remember, a car is a device to get us to-and-fro. If you like it a wee bit more comfortable and cozy, then buy one that has those amenities.

The Daewoo Lanos gets myself and others around just fine. There are several quirks that I wish weren't present, but it is a helluva alot more comfortable that riding in the back of a U.S. Army 2 1/2 ton cargo truck...been there, done that
  • trixiefauxtrixiefaux Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if anyone is at this board today...but I am torn... I could buy a brand new 2000 Lanos for the same price as a 6 year old used Camry. Which would be the better choice? Obviously it would be nice to have a brand new car, but maybe the older Camry would last longer or is better made?
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    Hmm... new Daewoo or 6-yr old Camry:

My new Daewoo Nubira has been a great car.
    If the new Lanos is big enough for you then get it. The only reason to buy the older Camry is for the room and better resale value (you know how quickly the resale value drops on a new car).
    The Lanos is a well-built car; in this price range it's your best buy. The first year of maintenance is free. Also, you're less likely to need repair or routine maintenance with any new car.
  • rlhackerrlhacker Member Posts: 1
    I previously owned a '90 Honda CRX which I loved until the day I got my Lanos. It had close to 200,000 miles and it was time to move on. I wanted a car like the CRX -- same size, hatchback, spunk, price range, etc. I researced via the internet and the closed I came was the Lanos! I compared it to the new Ford Focus and frankly, I think it's a better car! I bought mine 1/00 with 6600 miles. It was a dealer loaner equipped with automatic transmission, moon roof, automatic windows. I have no regrets and it is really spunky. My ONLY complaint is that the Lanos does not have an interior trunk release. I totally disagree with the critics of the car and think it deserves another look.
  • itsmemikeitsmemike Member Posts: 1
    Im a few days late reading the board but will put in my 2 cents worth. if you can buy a new Daewoo for the price of an old chevy. do it! my kids 2000 lanos has been a great car. they have 10000 mi.on it with no trouble and great service. average mpg 30 city and 37 hwy.. I would recommend this little car to anyone.
  • hatch4hatch4 Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Lanos S hatch back with a couple of dealer installed goodies including a sunroof and window tint. Car is well equipped with A/C and automatic transaxle and all for under ten grand. I do have a question though... Because this is a 2000 model, there was a $750.00 rebate and when I asked about the first year of routine maintenance being paid for by Daewoo, I was told that they no longer do that if you receive the rebate. Is this true or was the salesperson misinformed? I am happy with the car and haven't checked on this with anyone else at the dealer yet but it would be a nice perk to have the first year of oil changes and other routine maintenance picked up by them. Does anyone have any information about this?
  • geor0217geor0217 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if any one has had the same problem that I have had with my Lanos. I bought mine in 7/00 and it currently has 13000 miles on it. At around 10,000 miles the check engine light came on and I noticed a significant decrease in power. I took it in for service and the only thing they did was clean the injectors. The problem continued except now the car would quit while driving. I took it in again and they replaced the #4 fuel injector. It seemed as if the problem was fixed but in just a matter of 2 0r 3 days the same thing was going on. I took it in again and they changed a spark plug, again this corrected the problem but only for a few days. So I took it back in again and they re-routed some wiring and this corrected the problem for about 1 week and the same problem is still occurring. The car stalls more now than it did before. Well I have to take it in to the shop again tomorrow. Has any one had this same problem? I don't know what to do because I can't rely on the car.
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    Sorry mate, but when the check engine light comes
    on with an OBDII vehicle a failure code is registered with the engine computer. A Daewoo mechanic can read this code and know exactly
    where the failure is. For the problem that you described, ALL the fixes they allegedly made
    sound suspicious because the problem you are describing usually has to do with a bad sensor that controls ignition. If you are for real, tell
    them to check the CAM sensor, Crankshaft sensor,
    and oxygen sensor.
  • banjoparibanjopari Member Posts: 8
  • banjoparibanjopari Member Posts: 8
    I've had my Lanos hatchback '99 for a year and a half now and it's been a terrific, reliable car. I bought it because I'm "green" and the thought of getting a bigger more polluting car for a single guy like myself didn't seem right to me. It's got a spunky engine that starts up no matter how cold it is; the AC is colder than the heart of a woman scorned; the handling is so great, ithis is a tossable car!; the silver paint literally shimmers, what a paint job! Daewoo's rep for great paint is well deserved; i'm still getting free maintence since I only have 22 K still (we got three years 36 months back in 1999...sorry fellas, you snooze, you lose); the stereo is amazing for such an economy car...and I'm young enough to be a nutty audiophile; only problem is that some women might think you're poor if you have a hatchback...well, gold diggers will leave you as soon as more money comes by, and people with REAL money don't drive Beemers...read the "millionaire next door" book...people with money have it bc they don't waste it on dumb things like cars...cars are meant to be transportation, not status...for status, I'll leave that to a big home, big investments and such...read MARCUSE, who argued that materialist obsession is the deathknell of modern civ. He's right and DAewoo is here to help us be more responsible. I think the way DAEwoo is going, the Japanes manufacturers will face real stiff competition once the word gets out on Daewoo. Once DAewoo is popular, I don't think they'll continue the incredibly cheap prices...I hope they don't become like HOnda and start to overprice average cars...people who buy HOndas are so dumb...3-7 thousand more for...what??? Dumb, dubmb, dumb.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    I think it's possible to tout your car choice as best without branding others who choose other cars as dumb.

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
    The car: 1999 Daewoo Lanos hatchback w/ 20,890 miles.

No major problems & no minor problems since my last posting!!! Very solid performer!!!

See ya!
  • aficcaaficca Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2000 Lanos S. Does the car handle well in the snow.
    I have a 93 Geo Storm now and it is horrible in the snow. My e-mail is aficca@gi.com
    Anyone!
    Thanks!
  • zzonkzzonk Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 5-speed 2000 Lanos S Hatchback with a/c in September 2000. It currently has 7800 miles. I got an "unscheduled" oil change at 3000 miles, and the dealer picked up the tab for the 6000 mile tune-up. I have been very impressed with the service I've received both times.

The car itself is excellent. Although my Lanos is still relatively new, I have not had any problems with it whatsoever. It starts up fine in all types of weather. There are no squeals, clangs, hisses, or anything when I drive. I honestly feel like this car is one of the best kept secrets on the road today. The car is comfortable, reliable, sleek, and economical. And it's spunky too!

I admit that I have driven my Lanos pretty hard. Up until about a month ago (when I got a speeding ticket), I would regularly drive 90-105 mph on the interstate for extended periods of time. The car handled quite nicely at those speeds, and I didn't notice any terrible engine noise. I have even taken my Lanos up to 120 with no problem. I have since cut my speed to 65-80, and the engine still hums nicely.

The car handles quite well in turns. The a/c gets very COLD and the heater gets very HOT. I live in South Carolina, so I haven't been able to drive the car in the snow yet. I did hydroplane once in the rain when I was approaching a traffic light at the bottom of a hill, but other than that, the car has handled beautifully. The tires grip the road well and the suspension is great.

As for gas mileage, I average about 33 mpg all around. One thing I don't like about my Lanos is its fuel gauge. When it appears that the needle is almost at the empty mark, you really have 3 or 4 gallons left. So I usually just reset my trip odometer everytime I fill up my tank and realize that I need to gas it up again after every 280 miles or so.

The only other quirk with the car is the front passenger's seat. I don't know how or why this happens, but it seems to recline on its own over time. I haven't had this minor issue checked out by the dealer though. I just readjust the seat every few days. No problem.

Other than that, the seats are comfortable, the brakes are superb, the stereo is VERY GOOD, the "cheap plastic" dashboard is a nonissue, the trunk area is cavernous, the cabin itself offers a lot of room (I'm 6 feet tall), the ergonomics are good, and the ride in general is smooth. The 36,000 mile free maintenance I got with the car is just gravy. I am VERY pleased with my Lanos and highly recommend it to anyone who is considering an inexpensive, well-performing, off-the-beaten-path car.
  • jkotjkot Member Posts: 6
    I am in the process of buying a new 2001 Lanos Sport. I was having a few reservations, but your post has reassured me that I am making the right decision. I took the Lanos for a test drive over the weekend and was very impressed. There are a few minor issues, ( the "cardboard" carpet and headliner, The plasic Door Panels, and the far from great sounding radio) but I think I could improve on them myself. The radio despite having a CD player and tape deck and 35 watts per channel, (pretty good for a stock radio) does not sound too good. I wish they put a little more into the radio. Does anyone know if an aftermarket system will fit? The sport comes with power door locks. However the only lock that is power is the passenger. (?) It allows you to open both doors from the Driver side. The drivers side is "Manual".

I am going back to the dealer again tonight and talk to them again.

My only concern at this point is the future of Daewoo. What if I have problems a year or two from now and Daewoo is gone. The car is a great deal though. So I'm going to "roll the Dice" and hope Daewoo lives on.
    Both doors have power locks. I sat in a Lanos Sport and played around with the locks. If the driver's door is closed and you lock the passenger door from the inside, the driver's lock automatically locks as well. It's called central locking. European cars tend to have this feature. They get rid of the power lock switch. Instead, you just push down whatever lock manually and the other locks lock automatically. I believe the Sport has remote keyless entry as well, which would mean both doors have to have power locks. Anyway, its a sporty looking car. Good luck with it and tell us how much you paid for it before taxes. I'm curious whether Daewoo deals below MSRP as Edmunds now suggests.
  • rikkishaerikkishae Member Posts: 1
    Hi all

I had a Geo Metro and it finally went out on me after 8 years, hardly put any money in it during that time. My choices were limited since I insist on a hatchback. I was searching for the latest hatchbacks on the market and came across the Lanos. I went to the dealer and test drove the car and fell in love. Perfect little car for me. The one Im thinking about buying is the automatic with air, dealer told me he would let me have it for 10,300 which sounded pretty good to me. I would love to have the power windows and all that but I noticed a BIG difference in price between the model with the power features. Nevertheless next month Im going to drive off the lot with my new lanos and based on everything i've read on the web about this car, Im going to be very pleased! These boards are terrific for people like me that want to read reviews and get honest opinions on vehicles. My dealer did mention something to me about GM ? taking over Daewoo in april sometime, and i didn't get the feeling from the manager that it was gonna be a good thing. Anyone hear anything about it being bought up?
    If you really want the power windows and locks, you can get them cheaper than going for the rather expensive Sport model. The base S hatchback offers a power package for $900 max. It includes tilt steering, power windows, power locks, power passenger-side mirror, cassette/cd player, and variable intermittent wipers. That's a pretty good deal for all that you get in the package. It also is quite a bit cheaper than the $13,000 they are asking for the Sport model with those same features. Since it's gonna be a car you are likely to keep a long time, I say get what you really want on it to make your life with it more enjoyable.
  • jkotjkot Member Posts: 6
    I went back to the dealer and test drove another Lanos Sport. Looked the car over completely before taking the "Plunge". There were only a few very minor things I would like to have improved, but for the money, this is a GREAT CAR!

The dealer gave me a great deal. I bought the Lanos Sport for only $11,542.00. They said it was invoice, (I know it's not) but it is close. The car has an invoice of $11,400.00 + misc fee's to the dealer. (advertising etc...)

Anyway, I've had the car only a few days but am 100% sure I made the right choice. I have owned compact car before and this one is by far the best. I also looked at the Toyota Echo, The Mitsubishi Mirage, Ford Focus, Suzuki swift, and the Honda civic. (all competitive models)

NONE of them came close to the value the Lanos offered.

The car is very "spunky". I bought the 5-speed though. Some of the gear ratios are so close that it could have been a 4-speed. Accelleration is more than acceptable. (automatic trans will be slower). The car handles corners as well as my Camero did. Highway driving is also good. can cruise at 70-80mph with plenty of "pedal" left.

The only major thing I don't care for is the Drivers side door lock. The car is labeled as power locks. This is missleading. The Drivers side is MANUAL. The passenger is power. I.E. when you open the drivers side, the passenger also unlocks.

Otherwise the car is GREAT.

Another bonus is the car is a sporty little car that not many people have seen. I get a lot of people commenting on how "sharp" the car is but many have never heard of a Daewoo.

It's a shame the company is in Financial distress. They make a great car. GM will hopefully continue on the same path "if" the sale goes through.
    Did you not see my previous post? I assure you the driver's lock is power!! Sit in the passenger seat with both doors closed. Lock the passenger lock manually and watch in amazement as the driver's lock locks automatically. Both doors have a power lock actuator. So really your one major complaint isn't even real.
  • dclanosdclanos Member Posts: 5
    1)You're right- the passenger seat reclines all by itself
    2)There's a nasty rattle in the driver's door in my Lanos
    3)The antenna also rattles- seems worse at highway speeds
    4)Admittedly, I have an automatic, but the mileage is far from what I'd hoped for in a hatchback/subcompact
  • hatch4hatch4 Member Posts: 2
    I am glad to read that a couple of things I have noticed about my new Lanos S are the same on other owner's cars. I bought the car new about a month ago and have had no trouble and the experience with the dealership was great. I have noticed that the door panels have something inside which "rattles" at slow speeds but I don't notice it very often. Also my passenger seat creeps into the recline position just a little bit, I attributed this to vibration from the road making the adjuster turn when the seat has no weight in it (unoccupied.) The fuel gauge does seem to read less fuel than is in the car too..I wanted to see the low fuel light come on but never have let it get low enough on fuel. None of these things would make me hesitate to buy a Daewoo in the least, and with the number of Daewoo cars around the world, I don't expect parts to be hard to find anytime soon. I agree with the previous posts that this is a very solid little car. The fit is perfect and the finish is mirror smooth. The car is loaded with features for such a low price. I bought my '2000 model Lanos S with a dealer installed sunroof, pinstriping, and tinted windows for 9½ thousand. The dealer told me that I will not get the free maintenance because I received a rebate on a '2000 year model closeout. I guess this is true but I cannot verify that..can anyone here?
This discussion has been closed.