Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What about VW TDI engine?

12345679»

Comments

• ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    I was told by another TDI owner that the timing belt had to be changed at 40K or the 100K warranty is voided. Does this only apply to the automatics? Are standards good to 60K? I have a 2000 with a 5 speed.
    Thanks
  • alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    So what does your owner's manual and the maintenance schedule say?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    the automatics say 40k.

The manual doesn't list anything for the 5-speed manuals. It should be able to last 60k. When doing the change, ask for the revised 2002 belts and idler pulley, good for 80k
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Member Posts: 243
    I had the belt changed on my '98 TDI 5-speed at 60k kms (40k miles), but then was told AFTER (at next oil change) that they changed the rules and the standards could go 96,000 kms (60k miles) between changes.
    Almost ready for timing belt #3 in the car.

This change in belts/pulleys in 2002 is interesting. Any idea how much more $$$ to do this compared to replacing with original style?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    If you have a 1998 New Beetle you can use the new 80K/100K mile belt. A kit goes for $170 which includes timing belt, tensioner, camshaft seal, replacement bolts, and serpentine belt. The labor is the same and the parts are the same parts only the belt and tensioner are different so the cost to change to the new belt is nearly identical to the cost of using the old style.
    If you have a 1996-1997 Passat TDI or 1997-1998 A3 Body Style Jetta or Golf then there is NO upgraded belt and tensioner available.
This discussion has been closed.