Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus hatchback

Comments

• tomp711tomp711 Member Posts: 13
    Yea, I read about that but doubt that a standard issue radio really requires one. At any rate I can't see myself bothering to detach it.
  • wdrwdr Member Posts: 11
    This is my first time checking out this Focus thread, but I have many comments to make:

1. The ZX3 was a late addition to the NA Focus lineup and will be produced in Mexico. I wouldn't take this necessarily as a negative as my experience as a mfg eng. working with Mexican plants is that the workers are often more conscientuous than NA workers.

2. My first model preference would be the wagon with a 5-speed. I had the chance to drive a Euro-spec model and liked the looks and functionality of the wagon. My second choice would be the 5-door hatch.

3. I really don't care about the lack of power locks, but would like to have cruise control and a sunroof.

4. The criticisms about early production glitches are just plain stupid!! People who make such comments really have no idea what they are talking about. What is more important is that Ford stands behind the product and keeps defective vehicles from getting to customers. Remember, the Focus may have been already on the market for a year in Europe, but many of the suppliers of component for the NA Focus are different, although the designs may be the same.

5. The "wood" on the ZTS is simulated and looks pretty bad in my opinion. I'll probably skip it and look to the aftermarket for a wood dash kit.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    One more fan of the 5-speed wagon. I hope they start to make that model available here soon!
  • dhillsdhills Member Posts: 3
    I think what the ZX-3 needs is a step up in horsepower and handling to make it a serious threat to other sporty cars (Civic Si, Cavalier Z24, Golf GTI) etc. 150 hp. A tighter suspension and some aggressive tires would do nicely.

I could see Ford softening the hatchback up far too much to meet the tastes of sporty buyers that are spending zillions of dollars on their import cars.
  • silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    if you read the oct. issue of Car and Driver they have a prototype Ford Focus R. It is a sportier version. There is also talk that SVT is working on a version of the car. There will be a "GT" version I am sure...... the ? is when.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Maybe by 2001 or 2002 there will be some sporty ZX3's. The Civic cult in LA is a good reason for Ford to beef up this car
  • abbaabba Member Posts: 17
    The new zx3 reminds me of my 93 Civic Si HB. I read that Ford used the Civic as a benchmark. The new Ford sure looks sharp! But they won't hit the 0-60 benchmark of 7.5 seconds that C&D recorded for the Si. C&D clocked the sedan at 9.6 seconds 0-60. But it's good to see that Ford (unlike Honda) still believes in an economical, versatile, performance HB. It will be interesting to see how it sells. By the way, the SI came STANDARD with a fun sunroof. Ford would be wise to offer one as an option.
  • kenitokenito Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone tell where (i.e: which assembly plant) is the currently European Focus being built? This might answer the reliability of Focus in Europe. Also, where will it be built for the US market, this will determine my desire whether to buy the car or not. I love the reliability of my Honda Civic, so if I am to go for Focus, I want the same reliability. I have had too much bad luck w/ Ford's Festiva and currently with my S.O.'s Jeep Grand Cherooke that I am so afraid to buy anything comes out of the Big 3 (G.M, Ford, Chrysler).
  • wrb1434wrb1434 Member Posts: 2
    I recently read in the October 1999 issue of Car and Driver that there will most likely be a 160hp version of the hatchback in GT trim. I went to my local Ford dealership for some more information and was told that it will be out at the end of the year, but he did not mention if it was this year or the end of 2000. Also in the mentioned magazine were an ultra-high-performance all-wheel-drive version labeled as a Cosworth model and turbo 200+hp Focus R that if ever made production would be labeled as an SVT model. I went to www.blueovelnews.com to get yet more information and found out two interesting things: 1) in mid-2001 Ford will phase out the Contour SVT and replace it with a 170hp 4-cylinder SVT Focus sedan; 2) also in mid-2001 Ford may eliminate the 2.0L Zetec and replace it with a 2.3L 4-cylinder witch will be shared by the Focus and brand new 2001 Ford Escape mini-SUV. I really don't know how dependable these sources are but they all seam good to me. If anyone has any information on any of the issues I discused please post a response, especially on the rumored GT model.
  • wrb1434wrb1434 Member Posts: 2
    I just wrote on the GT model and gave the wrong website, the correct website is as follows: www.blueovalnews.com
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Hey Steve, did you really see a ZX3!? Man, we have to go trolling together more often...
    ford today went live with their 2000 model year web site- www.fordvehicles.com they have more info on the focus on there, but not too much (still not as good as canada's i think) also, a lot of the info in the product matrix on the ZX3 is wrong (as in options that are std. on the car not avail, etc, etc) just that you all might like to know........
  • autotesterautotester Member Posts: 2
    I recently drove the Focus ZTS sedan with the 5-sp trans. The int/ext styling, seating and comfort are very good. Steering, tracking and handling are very good. The Zetec engine is noisy thru the gears and at highway speed. Also, plenty of road noise enters the cabin. The 2000 Golf has a more nimble feel but it is more expensive. The VW is a much quieter car except for engine noise at speed. The gear ratios favor accel so at 65mph the engine is revving at 3000 rpm. VW needs an overdrive gear for more relaxed cruising.
  • ldrobertldrobert Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the Focus but need a car I can tow behind a motorhome. I really don't want a Saturn, and am looking for other options. Can you tow the Focus and if not, which ones might be towable? TIA
  • mangohaggismangohaggis Member Posts: 4
    Ld,

If you want a car which is conducive to being towed, I say go with the Ford. I guarantee the Ford won't let you down; I had a Ford and it got towed all the time, and that doesn't count being removed from illegal parking spots.
  • ssmith11ssmith11 Member Posts: 1
    I recently drove a new Ford Focus. I am very impressed! The car has the feel of a Camry or Accord, but retails for thousands less. Ford's concern should be telling the U.S. market it has a winner and having people believe it.
  • gdwtchggdwtchg Member Posts: 4
    I know it's a guessing game but does anyone have a wager on what the average lifespan on the Focus HB might turn out to be? I've been shopping and was really sold on a Civic because of all the stories I've heard about 300,000 miles and up and still going. When I get a car, I drive it 'til it's dead! I've previously owned a Fiesta, which was thrown together from race car parts and actually plunked along pretty well given it's dubious start; and now own a '91 Festiva which is starting to have major problems at 220,000 miles. Of course, I wasn't there during the first 160,000 miles of use to make sure it was properly maintained; however the lack of Festivas on the road leads me to believe that perhaps 200,000 miles is average. The point here is that if I'm going to finally break the barrier and buy a NEW car, I want to make it the best investment possible for as many years as I can keep it going (15-20!! :o) ). So what's the consensus?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It's nice to see someone who actually holds on to a car, and doesn't feel the need to buy a new one so often.
  • chalsmachalsma Member Posts: 1
    The Festiva falls in to the cheap econobox class of cars (along with Geo Metro, Hyundai Accent). The Focus, Civic, Neon, are one step up. I would expect, on average, that between a similarly maintained and driven Focus and Festiva, the Focus would last longer, but you never know. By the way, count yourself lucky to get 220,000 from a Festiva, it must have been babied.
  • austrianoakaustrianoak Member Posts: 3
    Have ya'll seen the November issue of Automobile magazine? Really terrific reviews of the Focus, including a head-to-head with the Civic and Jetta in which the author concludes that the Focus "...is a great small car, one that raises the dynamic bar." (All credit to Automobile and author Mark Gillies.) I'll take a 2-door hatch in bright red!
    As a matter of fact, I did not treat the car as well as I should have. I ground out the gears once in first and had to replace the transmission. I put over 20,000 on it the first year I got it ( remember it had 160,000) with road trips to the mountains and desert(off road trips!)I waited forever to replace the squealing brakes. The drums had shaving marks on them by the time I fixed them. The car has been abused so I'm not complaining about 220,000; in fact, after reviewing my neglect, I should be happy I've had it so long. Needless to say, I will NOT treat my new car this way. I do intend to reach 300,000 with routine maintainence. In spite of my lack of care for my previous car, I do become attached, which is why I keep them so long. The Fiesta and Festiva both have pulled through for me in many a hard time. The day the junk yard wrecker hauled off my old 1980 blue Fiesta was a sad day indeed! Thanks for the opinions, more would be appreciated.
  • dhkdhk Member Posts: 49
    With this kind of great engine life, I'm guessing most of your mileage is highway trips, 50 miles or more at a time. Also, would bet you don't have your foot on the floor too often, and you've been changing oil every 3000 miles. True?
    I travel about 40% hwy and 60% city, I have not been very good about oil changes, I have a touch of leadfoot and, as I mentioned previously; I did ruin one transmission by downshifting and winding it up too high in 1st. I have been rough on this car and I plan to be a better owner in the future.
    In fact, I think there may be a correlation between "cheap" cars and general neglect. I would never imagine treating an expensive car in this manner; nor would most of the car owning population. Perhaps the less you spend, the less you put into it. Assuming the car will fall apart sooner or later, why bother? ...just a thought. :o)
    P.S. not my personal philosophy on cars, mind you!
  • fastfocusfastfocus Member Posts: 42
    WHO CARES about an old Festiva?!? I thought this site was for comments about the FOCUS!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Good point, fastfocus. Friends, we have topics in this conference on the Metro and the Festiva. Let's keep this topic focused on the Focus. Thanks!!

carlady/host
  • bluedog63bluedog63 Member Posts: 3
    Hey! Old Festivas are pretty darn cool! The Expire hasn't had much of a track record, and the Focus probably owes a lot to this late, lamented little car! I have a '93 Festiva GL (yeah, I know, AT! Wimp!), and I am considering the Focus hatch or wagon but really am reluctant to part with what I call The Toy Car. She's been a great little putt-putt car with under 60K and no major complaints, except for the d*mned emergency brake getting stuck! Besides, we have to support all hatches on this list, don't we?! Peace, bluedog63
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I am not a fan of Festivas or Aspires.

Please go to those posts.

Also, do not respond to jake696 or carfreak, they were rude in the "..should Honda get nervous" post, it's now frozen.
  • mkrebsmkrebs Member Posts: 3
    What fools are running the marketing department at Ford? One change - making the SE sedan's comfort pkg. an option on the hatchback - would attract many more buyers to the hatchback. Burger King offers more options on a lunch! Ford's motto should be: Have It Our Way.
  • alf3alf3 Member Posts: 83
    Has anyone noticed that it seems impossible to get a Focus brochure from the dealer ?? I wonder if the Ford dealers here in the South would rather just sell those high-profit pickup trucks and Expeditions/Excursions. I'm very disappointed that the all-new Focus is being launched with very little marketing support from Ford.
    So what are your opinions on longevity?? The only reason my previous autos were even brought up is because I was getting more comments on them than the Focus. The history is only a contrast and compare with Fords previous smaller economical vehicles abd how they relate to the Focus. You want to talk Focus, talk Focus, please, by all means!! :o)
    as for getting a brochure. i have had some hard times finding one too, but i did adventually get one. it is just hard to find them with all the interest the car is generating. new models are almost always popular for companies. with what the press has written about this car so far it is no surprise it is hard to find one. the other side note is that the brochure also has errors in it. namely the fact that 4 of the colours are switched. the 2 reds- sangria and infra and the light sapphire and atlantic blue. mayabe (and that is a big mayabe) ford had dealers pull brochures till they can replace them with current ones with the correct info.
    The longevity question is a good and logical one in my opinion, gdwtchg. 'Problem is, we won't know the full story for a few years since the Focus is largely all-new. Yet, I believe the 2.0 liter Zetec engine has been in use for some time, both in the Contour and in Ford of Europe vehicles (also in the ZX2?), and I'd like to know what it's track record has been. Also, since the Focus has been on the road for roughly one year in Europe, I wonder what the warranty claims look like at this point.

As a longtime Honda owner ('90 CRX at present) I'm accustomed to reliability, but at this point the company is in danger of losing me because it's products have become so unfortunately boring. I like the Focus because it's fresh, and if not beautiful at least quite interesting and very "Euro" in style. Even better, according to all reports it's satisfying to drive. I can only hope that a high degree of quality, and ultimately longevity, will be evident as well. In my case I'm thinking about leasing a Focus, probably for three years, which makes the longevity issue somewhat less important. Were I buying, it'd be mighty tough to leave Honda.
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    I too, am looking at the Focus as a replacement for my 1991 CRX. There are not many cars that can take the place of my CRX. It really is the perfect car for me. I'm half tempted to rebuild it: ala "The Six Million Dollar Man".

FWIW, early intelligence on the 2001 Civic show an INCREDIBLE resemblance to the Focus. This might be bogus, but.....

You're right about the reliability, though. I just don't want to give up fun to keep it. Believe it or not, a Porsche 911 is under consideration. It doesn't hurt that my wife likes the 911 design. Well, it IS a classic.

Bruce.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Yes, I do like that 911 design!!! I expect any day now Bruce will drive down our street with just that car! But not in that icky yellow rejected by a certain 12 year old.... :-(

In the meantime, here's the stat page from Ford on the Focus. Any surprises here?

carlady/host
    First, to carlady, thx for the info! I really like the way you look after things here.

To Bruce: wow, what a post! A 911 would be so extremely cool - there's no arguing against it, and never will be. By the way, I recall seeing a "Used Car Classic" article in Road & Track maybe five years or so ago on the 911...if you haven't seen it already you may want to check their archives. They lauded both the driveability and long-term (in some cases VERY long-term!) durability of this "exoticar."

About the CRX: I've thought about rebuilding mine, too, but three basic considerations get in the way. First, I'm not a mechanic and really don't want to get into a "project" which involves grease under the fingernails every night of the week. Second, sooner or later EVERYTHING on the car is going to wear out, even if I rebuild the major bits first. Last, at this point it'd be really fun to have a NEW car again. Thus my interest in the Focus, which seems to be the closest thing to a modern CRX. It's not a two-seater, true, but in spirit I see a parallel. Anyway, this has been fun. And, if you go for a 911, I'm glad that your better half's already "on board!"
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    To add to your thoughts in the CRX topic, I would say the 911 is just about the ultimate in "active safety".

Oddly enough, I've been rear ended 4 times in my poor little CRX. Minor collisions, but it clearly shows the dangers of such a small car. I'm convinced 2 of the 4 accidents were caused because the person was looking over the top of my car and didn't "see" me. Yet one more reason to hate SUVs...

Bruce
  • ertzogertzog Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any insight to crash tests of the ford focus zx3 or toyota echo (toyota says it crashes as well as a camry, Hah!)?

I read a bit about the focus's euro NCAP crash test being re-done/repeated because of some sort of arm injury from the door molding? But that otherwise it crashed well?

Anywhere to get a schedule of when they will be US crashed (NHTSA, IIS)?

Can't decide on what to buy until the tests are available,

Seems Crx owners are drawn to the ZX3 .... I also am looking to replace a CRX (89).
  • mgambermgamber Member Posts: 4
    What color is the zx3 shown on carpoint's site?
  • orlockorlock Member Posts: 25
    Ford's motto is, "You Buy what we sell."

The reason why there are certain accessories on one vehicle and not another is that there are three sedan models, one wagon and one hatch back.

If you want all the goodies get the ZTS. You will not save money adding stuff to the ZX3, in fact it will cost more. The ZX3 is the budget car.

So you will be losing space in the back? There is a neat trick in the sedans and maybe the wagon where you open up the truck and lower the seats. More cargo room. The back piece behind the wagon seat might detach.

There is a big problem with stilt steering and that the whole steering column rests on a plastic clip. When the clip breaks and you have to take apart the whole steering column to fix it. Just move the seat. Moon roofs leak like a sieve. Just because it looks cool, doesn't mean it works. If you like the looks and want the top down, get a convertible Jetta.

I'm surprised nobody said they wanted a Zetec turbo.

There is a big reason why Ford is using the two 4 cyl. and that is space. The engine fills up the whole compartment and with air conditioning, you can barely see a belt. There is no way they can slap a 6 cyl. in there.

Here are more general Ford accessory problems:

There is a cruise control recall

Surfboard racks don't adjust to fit slim boards (one customer thought they were more for wind sail boards).

The car covers are on back order along with the carpets.

Chances are the bras don't fit or are too generic (for instance they might have holes for fog lamps that aren't in your model).

There is no wood in Ford products since the 30's or 40's. Customers complained about the upkeep so Ford stopped.

Accessories are non returnable to Ford and if you special order an accessory and don't like it, you might be stuck with it. Accessories generally take 10 days when not on backorder.
  • tomp711tomp711 Member Posts: 13
    I think that is "CD Silver". The lighting almost gives it a bluish look but my money's on silver.
  • mkrebsmkrebs Member Posts: 3
    That's a not so interesting way of confusing optons with accessories. English 101 might help.
    And, since you are so good at explaining away facts, how could adding cruise, tilt or a few other OPTIONS possibly make a hatchback more expensive than the high end sedan? Try grade school math while using Edmunds' invoice and MSRP prices as referents.
    Ouch! Dear sir, I am not the poor chap to whom you addressed your broadside, but I would suggest a more gentlemanly approach in the future. Degrading others is not the intended purpose of this forum. Let's keep that in mind, shall we? Thank you.
    Hi Bruce,

The 911 would have good "active safety," but not of the same caliber as the CRX, in my opinion. Why? Not because the 911 doesn't handle well, but because it has a rear weight bias which can make the tail swing around VERY fast unless the driver knows how to handle it. A front-driver like the CRX is very benign by comparison. The CRX also doesn't have nearly as much power, and excess power is another thing that gets many drivers into very deep trouble before they realize what's happening.

Re: the Focus. Since I'm thinking of leasing, I wonder what the monthly payment would be for a ZX3...and how it would compare to that of, say, an Integra. Hmm. Now THAT would be a great CRX replacement! Any thoughts?
  • alextalext Member Posts: 63
    Convertible Jetta? If you're reffering to the VW Cabrio, it's a convertible Golf to tell you the truth.

Anyway, I've always been a die hard Ford hater, as a matter of fact the only MAerican car company I've ever liked is AMC (r.i.p. 1987). However, I admit Ford does make some really nice performance hatchbacks, in Europe. The Focus ZX3 is the first of those to reach the U.S., and while it may be slightly watered down, I think it looks really good on paper and I'm dying to test drive one.

The 130 hp 2.0L engine sounds nice, the standadrd 15" alloys are pretty good, the leather wrapped steering wheel is a plus for a hatch, and the exterior is very euro-modern. I really don't like the other models, sedan or wagon, they look like bastardized corrolas and mini-taurus wagons. I already bought a car so I'm no posistion to get one now, but maybe a few years down the road I'll grab a new one.
  • pkungpkung Member Posts: 1
    There really is some draw to the ZX3 from CRX owners. I have a ZX3 on order so I can completely restore my '89 CRX Si.
    If you haven't driven a Focus, however, I do think the high seating position and lack of lumbar support will take a lot of getting used to, and the acceleration is not impressive. (I have only driven sedans and Euro hatches, however).

Some other items which were brought up in this forum and I think can be public knowledge (I work for a large Dearborn based auto company):

-Job 1 was October 4 in Hermosillo, Mex. This is the only place the 3-door is made, but anecdotal quality seems higher than Wayne, MI. Nobody can tell me when they're going to show up at dealers.

-Power options sometimes show up mid-year. They're aiming for a simple initial launch in this country. Canada and Mexico get a base hatch with the SPI engine. If you really need cruise or power windows or something, odds are pretty good if you wait a few months you might be able to get it. (no promises, however)

-The European version is actually more different than it first seems (I have a really long list). Many of the suppliers are new, parts made by different companies in completely different fashions. That's why there were those initial 'recalls' and such. I wouldn't expect too much correlation between Euro warranty repairs and the US ones.

-I can't get a brochure either. I dug up an owners manual, warranty guide, and detailed engine power and torque curves (sorry I can't give them to you, thanks for asking), but no brochures...
  • carlkauffmancarlkauffman Member Posts: 2
    Hmmm....well if anyone's gonna complain about bashing American made car quality... I guess it's okay to bash mexican made cars. Funny though, a lot of people might get confused which country builds the crappier vehicles. By the way VW's reputation sank because of a lot of reasons not just workmanship, save some blame for management. Besides , since most Japanese cars are built here now, why does GM still suck?
    Hi Pkung,

I wouldn't be surprised, given your employer, if a lot of Focus-oriented questions begin to come your way!

Restoring your CRX, huh? Interesting...good luck with that.

Also interesting was your info about new suppliers for the North American Focus. 'Sounds like a good reason, frankly, to stay away from the car for a year or two so we can all see how reliability concerns shake out. Actually, I hope the Focus sells well, but right now my old CRX is starting to look better than I'd remembered...
  • yoredyored Member Posts: 12
    I will first give you two hot links that I turned up about the Focus, unbiased reviews:
    http://www.auto.com/reviews/fp_0811_focus.htm
    ....and...
    http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=review&act=search&tf=/reviews_results.tmpl&mkid=14&mdid=3277&yr=2000&rvid=32729

It seems that one of the raps on the Focus was two fold, the seat. Evidentially the mechanism for adjusting the height is strangely akin to a sissor jack, as the reviewer put it, like an old crank start handle on a model T. and secondly the gap between the seat back and bottom can be extreme enough for a wallet to fall out into the back area.
    Another is the "watering down of the suspension" of the European model to suit older American drivers, suffering from hemorroids I assume.

Low fiber diets mean the Big Three will keep feeding you soft cars.

Yet it seems like the kind of "niche" car I was looking for to break the Honda/VW deadlock.
    So why is Ford of America not agressively marketing an albeit low margin car that seems to truely challenge this part of the domestic car market?

Ah well, I just thought it would be nice to share.
  • davidb9davidb9 Member Posts: 3
    Checking the manufacturers websites, the Honda CX hatchback with automatic transmission and air-conditioning (the only options my wife will want, and it's going to be her car) is $13,411 MSRP, including destination and installation of the a/c. The Focus with the same two options, but not including destination charge (I don't know it, nor do I know what they'll ask to install the a/c) is 13,890 MSRP. Add the destination charge, and that's a difference of $800 or $900 on the MSRP. For that money, what you're getting is a 130 hp engine instead of a 106, which is a big difference, but you're also passing up the Honda with its excellent reliability recored and resale value.

Since the Focus is going to be new and possibly in demand, you might find that it's harder to get the price down, plus it's always a dubious proposition to buy newly introduced models--there are always breaking-in pains with new models that get fixed in the second and third years. I know the Focus is not completely new, but it is significantly different from the European model, and I am shy of newly introduced models.

All in all, we'll want to test-drive and price both when our planned purchase time of May, 2000 rolls around, but if we were forced to make a choice right now, we'd save our 800 bucks and sacrifice the 24 horses--my wife won't miss them, anyway--and go for the Honda. But if a Ford dealer will meet a Honda dealer's price, we'll take the extra power in the engine, and take our chances on reliability. It's pretty simple, really.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    OK, I'm here but I'll refrain from stirring the pot.

I guess I do have to wonder who will buy these, though. The hatchback marketplace continues to shrink for whatever reason.

Escorts, Aspires, Festivas, and now...Focus?

Ho hum...I guess time will tell...

Who knows, maybe reliability will improve, and resale values won't remain in the toilet?

Oh well, I guess I did stir the pot after all...

But...that's just how I see things.

Another CRX ? Doubtful!
This discussion has been closed.