Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    It is a 1.6L 16v DOHC engine.
  • carladycarlady Member Posts: 35
    Welcome, bobcook54! Auto dealers, sales reps, mechanics are very welcome at edmunds.com as long as you do not use the site to solicit business. Just a reminder to others; it's very helpful of you to be a resource to us, bobcook54!

carlady
    Host
    News & Views and Hatchbacks Message Boards
    Thanks for the welcome,carlady! I will indeed heed your advice-I'm only here to provide assistance.I don't pretend to know all, but certainly I have access to more info than most,being in this business for 18 years all at the same place!
  • dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    Too bad you weren't here a week ago, since I just bought an Accent on Sat. :) Anyway, I'd like to welcome you too, since there are now many eyes of family and friends on my car, watching what will happen to see if the Accent is something they are possibly interested in as well. And as for the good old Accent "AL" or "AS," that darn spell checker will get you every time! It's almost as if any two capital letters have to be a state abbreviation or something.

DW
    Thanks for the welcome,DW,and congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will be happy with your car. Just remember,your dealer, I'm sure, will be glad to assist you anyway they can after the sale.We have many customers that have several Hyundais in their families and they all started with someone like you that decided that they would give us a try. Remember,"Driving is Believing!". Bob
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    I am looking to bug a 2001 Accent GS or GL with automatic. What kind of gas mileage shall I expect before and after the break in? I know the EPA numbers but I don't trust them too much.

Also, one of my local dealers in the bay area is selling GL with AC at $8995. I think that's lower than the invoice price even w/ the $500 rebate. Any comments?
    Bob Cook here, manager at a Hyundai dealership in Ohio. Check the fine print-is destination(freight) extra? Any dealer add ons? Advertising laws vary from state to state and whats legal in your area may not be in ,say, Ohio. If they will actually sell you it for the advertised price plus tax and title/documentary fees,nothing more,nothing less, than buy it. If not,then walk out and find a reputable dealer that doesn't place such games.I doubt if this is a true price,unless youe area has a dealer only rebate paid directly to them(it does happen-manufacturers react to local conditions).Bob
  • aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    And later this month my Accent will be one year old. Only two problems so far, the AC smell, and now I see that the passenger side windshield wiper rattles and misses a spot on the windshield. I willl replace that blade, maybe this weekend. I will put new Anco windshield wipers, because the current wipers do not take standard blades. And one wiper is longer than the other, 20 inches versus 18 inches. I especially like the windshield washer in this Accent, it is very well thought out. The reserve tank is away from the engine, in like a separate compartment in front of the wheel. This keeps the windshield washer alcohol from getting hot and boiling off. Yet the washers themselves are directly above the engine, which helps to prevent freeze ups and gives the liquid some extra ice melting power when it sprays on the windshield. I appreciate good engineering touches like that.
  • perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    Well the problem with my 01 Accent not starting was apparently due to a loose wiring connector somewhere in th main fuse panel ... dealer fixed promptly and even threw in a complete wash, wax & interior cleaning ($80.00cdn value) for my inconvenience. On the question of engines ... mine is a 1.5 litre SOHC ... it's stamped right on the valve cover. Don't know if a 1.6 litre DOHC is available in Canada or not?
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    bobcook54: Is your dealership in Columbus by any chance? My bro-in-law is in the used car biz near there as well.

Floridian
    No, I am in Lima,appox. 90 miles northwest.
    By how easy it was to replace the windshield wipers, which I did today. The Accent wiper arms have these hook-like endings and the old wipers slid right off after pressing a small lever. The new Anco wipers popped right on with a reassuring snap. The windows now are completely wiped with no more rattle. It's probably a good idea to replace wipers every year or so, between the sun and heat, cold and acid rain, the blades take a beating. Plus my Accent is always outside, which is tough on any car.
    I think I can respond to both of your questions. First of all, I am in the process of breaking in my GS auto (at 500mi so far)and I am averaging about 28mpg in mixed driving. It is also pretty cold here in Michigan right now, so that is a factor to at least consider.

Second, a local dealer also had a similar advertisement with the GL w/air at $8990. I looked into it and found out this didn't include freight ($435), assumed $500 down, and also didn't include an outrageous $495 dearler fee! Suddenly at $10,420, it sure wasn't much of a deal. Needless to say, I didn't buy my car there.

I hope this helps, or that your luck is better.
    DW
    bobcook54: If I remember correctly isn't Lima the site of the largest mental institution in the state? It used to be joke that a lot of my friends ended up there after trying their hand at selling cars. LOL.

I was born & raised in Columbus and have a realitive that runs a little "cinder lot" used car operation in Sunbury, north of Columbus. I thought you may have been with Hatfield Hyundai in Columbus. I think they had three stores there for awhile. Keep warm up there. Those Ohio winters can be as nasty as any for sure.I haven't had to endure any for the last 26 years. I only venture up there in summer for the annual family reunion held at the Shawnee Lodge near Portsmouth.

Floridian
    Yes, we do have a large mental hospital-sometimes I wonder if I should go there and have my head examed for being in the car business! But, it has been very good to me and i have built up a extensive,and wonderful clientele.Actually,our claim to fame is the home of the abram battle tank-the main battle tank for the army is built here.On the other end of the spectrum,just outside of Lima in a little burg call Westminster,is the largest pork rind producer in the world,Rudolph Foods! Lima jokingly is an acroynm for Lost In Middle America.....and you know.....we kinda like it that way.
  • sfarkas2sfarkas2 Member Posts: 12
    perry40, your version of the accent, the GS, is standard with the 1.5. The Canadian Gsi has the 1.6, I think the GSL as well. Glad to hear that the dealer fixed your problem. Mine is an 01 Gsi and I have this rattle/vibration that seems to get worse as I rev up. Do you have this noise? (haven't gone back to the dealer yet, but they couldn't locate it when I stopped in for a 10 minute visit, will get them to fix, I hope, when I drop it off for my first oil change). Has anyone out on vent visors or slim lines? (shaded acrylic devices that go on the driver/passenger door frame to reduce wind noise, rain ingress)
    sfarkas2 ... yeah, read on another website only yesterday that the 2dr Accent GSi & 4dr GL are equipped with the 1.6l DOHC here in Canada ... guess my Accent GS is the base model (pretty well equipped for a "base" model though!). Don't have the particular rattle you're referring to, but my drivers side window rattles in it's frame when partially lowered while driving on uneven pavement ... also the rear parcel shelf in the hatch knocks when going over bumps in the road. My wife's 99 Accent is 2 years old and still feels solid, with non of these annoying noises. Go figure?
  • iggy6iggy6 Member Posts: 7
    Having ordered my '01 accent automatic from my local London Hyundai dealer, I’m intrigued that my car will arrive with a 1.3 engine (I thought the premium charged for the 1.5 was too much and the 1.6 is not even available as an option here). I think that the Europeans pay approx. $1000 more for a similar car, but the accent still is great value here in comparison to other economy cars. (Anyone driven a 1.3 on a highway? is it OK?)
    iggy6: WOW a 1.3 !! I suppose it would get you from point a to point b but i cannot imagine trying to merge with high speed traffic onto the motorway. Especially with a A/T. I guess we Americans are spoiled when it comes to cars that will pin you to the seat. I guess it's all in what you are used to. When I get out of my GMC Sonoma pickup (4cyl)and into my wife's Mitsu Galant it feels like a rocket ship to me. My son has a Ford ZX2 A/T and compared to a 2001 Accent with 1.6 engine it feels like a Corvette by comparison. look at it this way, you'll get very good mileage and probably no speeding tickets either. Enjoy !! What does a machine like that sell for in 'ole blighty ? A 1.6 GS with A/T and loaded with all power goes out the door here for about $11000 US.

Floridian
    i am paying gb£7349 inclucive of all taxes and charges (us$10761). the car comes with 4 speed auto, airbags, power steering, power brakes, am/fm/casette, cupholder and ummmm.... thats about it. still, for the same money i couldn't buy a base stick shift hachback from most other companies, evan the really small cars usually cost more here... will be a change from my 1987 2.8 bmw (197,000 miles)... cant wait to get it really.
    Hey iggy6 ... I've always been intrigued by automobile models that can't be bought in Canada, like the Hyundai Atoz. Is this a good car? I like the looks of it ... and didn't I read somewhere that Hyundai is phasing out the Atoz in Britian & phasing in a newer car (the name of which escapes me)? Any details? Would love to have an Atoz, right-hand drive and all!
    iggy6: That's about the same equipment we get for the $11,000 GS model, US $ except that it comes witha "delux" ?? interior and power windows too. Just pretend it's a baby bimmer LOL. At any rate there is NO substitute for that new car smell eh. Being in business for myself here I treat myself to two or three new cars a year as they can be charged off to business and actually I really don't have much of "my own" money tied up. Plus I drive close to 50K miles per year on business so a car is eaten-up pretty fast here. It's a mighty big country ! A 400 mile day is just normal for me at times.

I saw a 1999 Accent hatch yesterday from Quebec. It had ground effects body work, sunroof,fog lights, alloy wheels and "SPORT" graphics on the side. We can't get that model here in the states.

Let us know how your new car goes etc. We really like hearing from "across the pond" here in the "colonies" LOL.

Regards, loridian
    the 'bread van' atoz has been replaced here with... the Amica! I sat in one while ordering the accent at the dealer... and its TINY! two people sitting in the front seats need to have very good personal hygiene because they'll be no more than a couple of inches apart! also it has a small engine (yes, even smaller than the 1.3 in the accent i'm getting) and i think it would be unsuitable for out of town use but it looks funky and is about $500 cheaper then the accent. if i drove 400 miles, i'd be in Luxembourg or somewhere like that probably!
  • mysticgoldmysticgold Member Posts: 2
    In Nov, 2000 I bought a brand new 2001 Accent GS. At 800 miles the car mysteriously had no oil in the engine, the dealer has no diagnosis, at approx 1500 miles, again the car had no oil, the dealer has no diagnosis, at approx 2200 the dealer is now rebuilding the entire top end of the engine and the car has been in the shop already for 2 weeks. What a crock! As the saying goes, you get what you pay for!
    We had a friend visit from Scotland back in '88 & she was amazed by the vast distances here in Canada (I can leave my home town & drive for over 10 hours on the highway, mostly thru wilderness & STILL be in my home province!). Drive 10 hours from Edinburgh & you're probably at Land's End!
    perry40: I envy you, all that open space and no people. As big as the US is it is getting crowded everywhere you go. There are some streaches here in the southeast, Georgia & Alabama that have a lot of open country but nothing like you folks up there in Canada enjoy. If it weren't for the brutal winters I'd probably be headed up your way too. We have a lot of friends from up your way that winter over here in north central Florida. With the exchange rate the way it is, it is getting harder and harder for the retired Canadians to spend as much time here as in the past. I guess they have imposed a surcharge on your medical insurance for time spent here as well.

Floridian
    Iggy6: My niece just returned from school in Scotland. She had kind of forgot how far it is between places here in the states. She wasused to jumping on a train & being in another country in a few hours. no need for a car according to her.

When you consider that from Key West, Fla. up thru the state and then west across what we call the "panhandle" to the border of Fla/Alabama its over 1300 miles and you are not out quite of
    Florida !! Five days of hard driving to go from New York to California !! I've done that trip many times too. Hope your Accent is a GOOD one. Sounds like some other folks on here have had some problems. It happens to ALL mfgs. don't be discouraged.

Floridian
    I am intriqued by that missing oil problem mentioned a few posts back. Any idea where the oil is going? Any leaks under the car? Smoke in the exhaust? Seems to me it would be fairly obvious where the oil is going, since it is being lost in massive amounts. Maybe a bad seal and it's all running out on the ground during driving? My Accent has been using the least amount of oil of any new car I've ever owned....
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I had no choice but to get rid of the 1997 GS I was driving. Geico FINALLY settled with me but they would not let me keep the car unless they issued a salvage title so I had to let them take it. Good news, I got to shop for another car and bought an old 1988 Plymouth Colt Vista wagon. At first I was afraid of the gas mileage being as big as a minivan but it is getting 27mpg in mixed driving. It's rated 23/29 so that's good. It is huge inside so it will do well as a courier vehicle. I am still shopping for another car as this Colt has no A/C and temps are already brushing 70 here in Dallas.

To answer the brake pad question, I don't know. They were $16 pads at AutoZone and I believe they are organic pads because they are cheap. And yes, that rotor was destroyed. The left side rotor was fine and the left half of the damaged rotor was fine but the right half was worn 50% away. I'm sure whoever gets this car will warp it in no time with the decreased thickness of the rotor leading to more heat generation.
  • melanie6melanie6 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a used Accent. It is a 1995 with 55,000 miles on it. It seems like a good car. Has anyone had any major problems with this year? Is $2400 a rip off for this car? Any comments will be appreciated:) Also I noticed the Airbag light was on, what does this mean?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    If the airbag light is on, it more than likely means there is a malfunction in the airbag system that will keep it from working in the event of an accident. Don't know how important it is to you to not have the airbags operational, but you can either live with the light and have no airbags or get it fixed. It probably has a sensor that is not working. It could be expensive to fix the problem, so take that into consideration when haggling over the price. $2400 doesn't sound too bad considering it is low mileage, but I might try to get it down to $2200 since the airbags aren't working. The only possible problem with the 95 Accent I am aware of is automatic transmission longevity issues. Otherwise, no big problems with that year. The engine is a solid performer as shown by the fact it is still being used today with almost no changes and no recalls. Hope this helps.
    Lngtonge18, I believe it was you who mentioned a while back about having a rattle in your rear window brake light. Did you ever fix it, and if so, how? Does anyone else have this problem, and/or a solution? I pried open the plastic attachment area cover and fiddled around with adjusting it as much as I could, but I just can't tell where it is making contact. Bobcook, have other Accent owners had this complaint at your dealership? I know this is such a small thing, and not something I think a dealer should be troubled with nor have to fix, but it is driving me a little crazy. Any help would be appreciated.
    DW
    Perry 40..you mentioned your parcel shelf rattles. I thought the same. Found out it was actually the rear hatch. The dealer fixed the 'alignment' on the 'wedges' on the back hatch in about 10 minutes and presto, no more rattle from the back.
    Hey sfarkas2 ... Thanks! I'll have the Dealer check it out when I bring the car for it's first service check in May.
    My parcel shelf also rattles, but I'm sure it is that and not the hatch itself. I can actually visibly see the parcel shelf move up and down when you hit sharp bumps and that sometimes causes a banging rattling noise. It is not anchored down on one side and the rubber bump stops are thin. The only way to fix it is to probably add thicker or more numerous bump stops to keep it from banging so loudly against the speaker enclosures. As for the brake light, the dealer claimed they tightened it but it felt just as loose as it did when I took it in. It continued to periodically make a rubbing/squeaking noise. I stuffed a small folded piece of paper towel between the glass and the plastic nub that rests on the glass. That got rid of the squeak for the most part. The overall assembly is still a bit loose and creaky, but I chuck that to poor design. At least it doesn't bug me anymore. The only noise I hear back there now is the parcel shelf.
    I just replaced my wipers with Bosch Micro-Edge. What a huge difference!! The old wipers weren't even a year old, but they have been making an annoyingly loud rubbing/squeaking sound ever since I bought the car and they never seemed to wipe the windshield very well. The new ones are completely quiet and clear the windshield way better. They must put some real cheap rubber on the original equipment wipers. It will be so nice not to have to listen to that loud squeak everytime it rains :)
    Intone 18, what you describe from the rattle in the parcel shelf is exactly what happened to me. I fitted and farted around trying to figure out how to secure the parcel shelf. I too, could see the shelf moving in the rear view mirror in unison with the rattling noise. It had to be the shelf. One day, after loading my hockey gear into the back, thereby causing the shelf to become unseated, I noticed the rattling noise when going over sharp bumps. So it couldn't have been the shelf and in fact it was the hatch. Try this, take the shelf off and try those hard bumps, if you still have the rattle, then it can't be the shelf, my money is still on the hatch. The dealer didn't even have to contemplate my complaint for more than 50 milliseconds before he knew what the problem was.. conclude from this quick thinking that this must be a very common occurence...good luck
    Here's a puzzler ... lately I've been comparing my wife's 99 Accent 4dr Automatic with my 01 Accent 2dr Automatic. When driving the 99, I've noticed that when taking foot off the gas in preparation to brake or coast, the engine RPM's decrease slowly as vehicle speed decreases, finally idling at approx. 750 RPM with the car at rest and tranny in Drive ... this seems normal to me. My 01 Accent however in the same or similar situation does not behave the same way ... when letting off the gas, the engine RPM's drop suddenly to approx. 1100 - 1000 RPM while vehicle speed slowly drops, finally idling at approx 750 RPM with the car at rest. Is this normal? Even if I take my foot off the gas at 80kph say, the RPM's still drop to around 1100?? Might there be something wrong with the automatic tranny? This really seems a little weird to me?
    Torque converters are that wonderful fluid-driven clutch that makes automatic transmissions so automatic. Each torque converter for each different car's transmission is made slightly differently. Some cars have a torque converter that allows a lot of slippage, these are called "high-stall" converters. They keep the engine running faster on acceleration and deceleration to improve performance. Those with little slippage have a low stall speed. Stall speeds are measured in engine RPM's, this is the fastest speed you can run the engine with the transmission in gear and the drive wheels locked. The engine will not accelerate above this speed until either the transmission is taken out of gear or the wheels can rotate. So if you hold your left foot on the brake and the right foot on the gas, you'll find your stall speed. Don't do this for too long, it'll burn up your transmission. This is another reason why you should use the brake to hold a car on a hill as opposed to the gas. Before I go running away, I'll also say that the "lockup" torque converters do the same thing as a regular converter, but with the lockup feature is engaged, the torque converter makes a physical connection, allowing little or no slippage, improving fuel economy. Your '99 probably has a different stall speed from your '01. Probably because your '01 has the 1.6 engine? I think the 1.6 engine gets a different set of gears than the 1.5. I'd have to see the specs to be sure.
    now that I'm done pretending to be a high school auto mechanics teahcer...

I am considering the purchase of a 1998 Accent L hatchback. It's $2850, has 80K on it, and the air still works. The reasons it is so cheap are...a)people here HATE Hyundais...b)it is a standard and people here are LAZY...c)it pops out of 4th gear if you take your hand off the shifter. Reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th are fine. I am assuming this is a synchro problem and wondered if anyone else has had trouble with the Accent 5-speeds, if they ever needed taking apart for popping out of gear, how much it cost, etc...thanks!
    Thanks occupant1 ... hope you're right about the situation with my 01 Accent being "normal" ... the 01 has a 1.5l SOHC engine and my wife's 99 the same I believe ... I'll check today after I shovel yet another snowstorm's worth of white stuff out of my driveway!
  • okie53okie53 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 2001 Accent for 3 months and just passed 10,000 miles (I commute to work). I'm absolutely delighted with the car. Did get a little wind noise around the driver's window; took it back to the dealer and they replaced the seal. The 1.5 engine has loosened up quite a bit and is surprisingly peppy. I am getting around 38mpg on the highway (70-75mph) and over 42mpg if I am not so lead footed (55mph). I am using Mobil1, hopefully I can get 150K out of the engine; I am looking forward to buying another Accent in '05.

Okie
    My hatch does indeed rattle. I will try to adjust the rubber bump stops this weekend and see if I can alleviate the problem myself. That will save a trip to the dealer for a simple 10 minute fix. I will let you guys know what I do and how well it works.
    Thanx man ... the rattling hatch on my 01 Accent is driving me nuts ... and I don't want to make a special trip to the dealer. BTW check out post #390 Re; engine RPM's ... I'd like to hear your take on that if ya don't mind? Ciao!
  • richg4richg4 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if anyone who owns an Accent has had a similar problem with there cars as I have. I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent GL, auto. I am taking the car in for its 3rd trip to the dealer concerning a strange problem with the transmission. Basically, when the vehicle is driven on say a long road trip at a steady speed the transmission makes a horrible thump and a sort of low-pitch sreach in the engine bay when I press on the accelerator to make the car down shift to pass another vehicle. The first time I took it in the dealer told me that it is normal and that all Accents do this and its just a design flaw. Then I took it to another Hyundai dealer and they told me that they couldn't duplicate the problem. Now I have an appointment to take it in for this, a vibration in the steering wheel at 70mph, a pulsating brake pedal,a drivers seat that makes a clicking sound in turns, and a glove box that is misaligned. Don't get me wrong I love my Accent and all these problems have just been mounting up and I haven't had a chance to take it in. My car only has 8200 miles on it and it seems strange to have all these things to take it in for. If anyone could let me know about the transmission thing that would be helpful. I suppose Hyundai's slogan is not a lie...."DRIVING IS BELIEVING"...that you got less quality than a Honda or Toyota.
    I adjusted the rubber bump stops and my short-term analysis is that it worked. I went over sharp ripples in the pavement at 50 mph that used to cause a slight audible shudder from the rear and this time, there was no sound. It seemed to be just as solid as a brand new car. Here's what I did: Look for the large rubber block right above each tailight assembly. 2 phillips head screws hold it in place. Remove the screws and pull off the bump stop. Install either one thick washer per hole or a few thinner ones per hole underneath the bump stop. Than reinstall the bump stop and the screws. Your done! The washers push the bump stop higher up so that it pushes more firmly against the upper hard plastic bump stop. This tighter fit forces the hatch to close tighter and thereby reduces the chances for audible rattles from hatch flex. You may have to trial and error the washer thickness based on how much slack you need to take up. Hope this helps all that are having hatch rattles.
    On a side note, I also decided to try some insulation as a way of reducing interior noise levels at high speed. The front of the car is very quiet considering how inexpensive the car is, but hatchbacks are known for their greater noise penetration from the rear. I can attest to this as I lowered the rear seat while travelling at 80 mph (I was the passenger, LOL). The amount of road noise coming from the rear tires was quite amazing. The seat is able to block some of it, but it still can't provide the same isolation as an enclosed truck. The spare tire compartment is the thinnest layer of metal between the interior and the road. Because this compartment is enclosed inside the whole interior, it is the greatest cause of road noise penetration in a hatchback. As such, I decided to add a layer of Thinsulate insulation underneath the rear carpet and above the spare. I bent the layer in half so I could get double protection. So far, it seems to have lowered noise levels considerably. The rear speakers don't seem as drowned out by road noise as they were before. I think its a worthwhile addition for any hatchback, but especially for the L model as it only has a cheap thin layer of carpeting between the spare and the interior. Just thought someone might be interested in my findings.
    I can't say for sure whether your auto tranny is behaving normally or not. I have only driven one automatic equipped car that also had a tachometer so I'm not very knowledgeable in this area. From what I remember, when I lifted off the gas of my 93 Mitsu Diamante, its rpms would drop down to 1200 or so immediately as long as the overdrive was on. If the overdrive was off, I think it would provide some engine braking and allow the rpms to stay ellevated. Other than that, I can't really say if what you are describing is normal. I personally think its sounds right.
    The tranny problem you describe does not sound right. The other problems aren't that big of a deal and occur in all cars, not just Hyundai. Wheel vibration at 70 generally means an out of balance tire, which is common on low-grade tires, or a bent wheel. The pulsating brake pedal is probably either a warped rotor or a bent wheel. Warped rotors are a common problem on all cars, including Honda and Toyota. A clicking driver's seat is hardly a concern, nor is a misaligned glovebox. I believe many 2000 Accents had the glovebox problem. Mine has it as well. I learned to live with it, keeping in mind that this is an inexpensive car. Someone I know bought a 2001 Acura CL and had to take it back after only 100 miles because it had a pull to the right. The dealer claimed it was normal but he pushed them to check its alignment. It turns out it was off slightly and they adjusted it. So if a 30 grand Acura has a problem right off the start, consider your small roster of minor annoyances after 8200 miles normal. The only real big concern is your transmission. Take them for a test drive and show them the sound yourself! That way they can't claim the sound is not reproducable. By the way, 2000 Accord V-6s were recalled due to a terrible thump from the transmission. So don't think Honda is immune from the same type of problems. I personally feel I got just as much quality as I would have from Honda or Toyota and for a much cheaper price to boot. Hope you get your problems taken care of.
  • kitten78kitten78 Member Posts: 2
    My boyfriend has a 2000 Accent and has been having nothing but problems with it. He is getting ready to take his car in for a third time in five months/5800 miles. The second time he took it in, they had to completely replace the transmission. We were out last night and the transmission started doing what it did last time, so he is taking it in again. What happens is when you accelerate, the RPM increases, but the speed does not. Has anyone else had this kind of transmission problems? If he has to take it in once more during the first year for the transmission, he's got a "lemon." It's just frustrating! I've owned Mazdas, Toyotas, and now an Oldsmobile without any serious problems, especially when it was new! I have had a 1998 Oldsmobile LSS for a little over a year now and have not had one problem with it, so I am starting to question the quality of Hyundai.
    I know this is kind of stupid, but I have been following this board for a while now, and does it bother anyone else that the word Hyundai is spelled wrong in the topic title? Maybe we should all just drop this dead weight of old news and bad memories (as of late) and start a brand new thread - "Hyundai Accent 2"! We'd really be in the big league then, eh? Or maybe we should all just get together and start a new life . . . under the sea.

(I'm sorry, I am just bored and this is my lame attempt at humor. I am actually supposed to be working, so I better go.)

Just remember:

"There'll be no accusations!
    Just friendly crustaceans,
    Under the Seeeeeeeeeaaaaaaa!"
    Homer Simpson