Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

mraphaelmraphael Member Posts: 1
I've read about the resdesign (98?) and the
nororius problems prior to it. Has anyone owned a
newer accent for long enough to have a solid
opionion on the new design/reliability? I know
they have a 10year/100000 mile warranty.

Comments

• alextalext Member Posts: 63
    No, but the warranty is quite impressive, as you know. I would consider getting an accent, but they're too conservative for me. I want something that stands out. Like a Suzuki x90.
  • buffalobill1buffalobill1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 hatchback and I am not aware of the notorious problems. I have been quite satisfied with the 92 and I am considering buying a 99. I just want to get the best price possible. What problems were noted in the past.
  • sameersameer Member Posts: 1
    Great car. GO FOR THE ACCENT GSI 99 MODEL AND U WOULD BE THE MOST SATISFIED CUSTOMER.BET U
  • ACCENTACCENT Member Posts: 10
    KL
  • sjoosjoo Member Posts: 7
    If somebody wants to buy a 99 accent,wait until september. 2000 accent will be sold in september.
    You can check 2000 accent in hyundai website (www.hmc.co.kr). Check "Verna". Basically, that's the car which will be sold in U.S.A with "accent" name in 2000.
    Looks very good,the powertrain is old one though.
  • shelton823shelton823 Member Posts: 2
    Been looking at an accent for commuting. Best price I have found is $6999. From Fairfax Hyundai in fairfax Va. Check it out and perhaps your local dealer will match. Also what kind of gas mileage are people getting on this engine. Real world feedback appreciated.
  • larryshawlarryshaw Member Posts: 1
    San Diego price on a new Accent is 6995.00 with rebate of 750. Maybe they are working on clearing out the 99's to make room for the new 2000.
  • quickshiftquickshift Member Posts: 16
    To one who post above me, I think the dealers are screwing you. These cars are not very popular. You can get a 5speed,power steering and A/C for $6995. Stay away from automatics-- they don't last long(40K) and drain engine power(only 92 HP).
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    The 1999 Accent stickers without AC for $9434 including freight. There is I believe a $1500 rebate, and they have roughly $375 of profit to work with before they dip into holdback. That works out to around $7600 plus tax and stuff. Those $6995 Accents either a) require dealer financing to get that price, or b) require a trade-in to get that price. That or they are used or demos. I don't foresee many dealers using 5-speed Accents as demos.

A used Accent...you should be able to buy a low-mileage (15K-30K) 1997 Accent for $5000. A 1998 with 10K-20K for $6500. Used 1999's should be too close to new ones. However if you are choosing between a new 1999 and a used 1999, remember only the new ones give you the 10-year 100K warranty. That turns into a 5 year 60K warranty if the car is re-sold. A new Accent with AC, 5-speed, cassette, and taxes should cost you $9000 out the door.
  • poconojoepoconojoe Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone here know cpr, this topic is dying.
  • rob97rob97 Member Posts: 2
    do you own an accent?
  • rob97rob97 Member Posts: 2
    lose that stock airbox and go W/k&n fitercharger setup.You will notice a vast improvement in prerformance. However,you must use stock airmass sensor.
    Yes I own a accent. Its just that you can't find accent owners to talk to. Is there a correlation that most Hyundai owners can't afford a computer. Thats why there not answering.
  • stepheniastephenia Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 1996 Accent until about a few months ago. I had many problems with it, but I still loved my vehicle through it all. It was just that I am a young girl and needed something reliable. The first thing that went wrong was in January of 1998 my engine went. So, it spent many weeks in the dealership "hospital" recovering. I think though, that I was driving it too hard. I went from a chevy el-camino with a lot of power to a small 4-banger, so I drove it too hard. I then didn't have any problems whatso ever until this summer. I went up to Chicago (a two hour drive) and my card overheated right on the tollway. I was sweating this one, big time. I finally managed to get it to the hotel, by turning the ac on to kick the fan on. But, when I got it back home it still was overheating in normal traffic. Also, the car was stuttering very badly and would dye on me a lot. I went ahead andtraded it off, to get rid of it. I really loved my car, but needed something else
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    Wow I have a 96 accent 3dr auto in the family and it has 75k miles on it and going strong. What kind of driving do you do?
    Dang someone with only 40 thousand mile s on their auto tranny? THe one in my family has been babied with all services done on time, but my father who drives it usede it to commute 100 miles per day every day to NYC for two and a half years.... He drives like a maniac on fire and the car took the abuse... From the experience we've had with it, i (college student) will prob. Buy a used '96 auto ( don't like the newer styling).
    Driving too hard eh... my father owned a V12 and a supercharged 6 while he drove the four banger...now what does that say about the hyundai "alpha" engine?
  • okphillipokphillip Member Posts: 5
    I have a 97 accent. I don't know why but I really like this car. It's pretty much only a commuter car for me now. I also have a 2000 mustang. When I bought the mustang I was going to sell my Hyundai. But partly because the resale value was so low and, I didn't want to put so many commuter miles on my New mustang, I decided to keep the Hyundai. I think the accent is fun to drive AND feels a lot faster than it relly is due to such light weight (mine is bare bones, no a/c, power windows, etc.)
    I have 38,000 fairly hard driven miles on it so far. At around 10,000 the clutch went out but otherwise its been perfect. They fixed it promptly under full warranty! I've also used road side service a couple times(I always lock my keys in the car! This service has been great. WHEN BUYING A NEW ACCENT PAY THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM PRICE!!! Get very close to the invoice price. These cars have horrific resale values and should be bought with the intention of driving into the ground so to speak! :)
  • nbutler1nbutler1 Member Posts: 2
    Help, I am considering buying a 2000 Accent Gs for my 16 year old daughter. I like the cheap price and the warranty but is this car dependable. I don't see any comments from anyone that has a 2000. Also I have never owned a Hyundai. Do they need the 100,000 warranty? Will my daughter be safe in one. I think they are cute. She wants a standard for more get-up and go. Can I put bigger tires on this car for my peace of mind? Thanks for any imput you can give me.
  • nbutler1nbutler1 Member Posts: 2
    to ask, what is the best color for the new accents.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    I can't add any advice on the 2000 Accent, nbutler1, but as for safety I suggest you check out the Chevrolet/Geo Metro topic. One of our members had a serious accident and walked away. Be sure to take a look at the photos.

carlady/host
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I have no idea of accident data comparing these two vehicles, but if you have test driven these two cars, there is no comparison of which is the better built vehicle. I have driven both, and while both are econoboxes, the accent is so much more substantial. While I can not profess the long term reliability of the accent, it is a heavier. More so, the accent has the fat warranty backing it up. I don't see how you can opt for anything else, but please check them both out.

Boltguy
  • hsohso Member Posts: 9
    Accent is simply better car than metro!!
    No doubt about it.
  • slava1slava1 Member Posts: 5
    I've had my Accent for almost a year now, and it
    seems to be what you pay for so far. No problems
    yet, a very comfortable car (especially after my
    previous car - 88 Pontiac LeMans). The whistling
    sound is always present when the car accelerates,
    but it is not much of a problem because once you're driving, you have a good amount of road noise inside the cabin. The ride could be a littl smoother, also. But other than that, it is a nice little car with huge expandable trunk. And you can change oil only 5-7,000 miles (owner's manual). Although, right now I would probably buy a Toyota Echo because of its resale value, or a Ford Focus hatchback because it looks like a real hatchback. But Hyundai makes more sense if you plan on owning the car for a long time.
  • maingroupmaingroup Member Posts: 5
    I noticed that all hyundais use the same size oil filter. The 1.5 L accent has the exact same oil filter as the 2.4 L sonata. I assume that the big oil filter benefits the accent the most since it has the smallest engine.
  • victoriankvictoriank Member Posts: 2
    I have found that the original tires on the accent don't function well in heavy rain, slick and snow covered roads. I am talking about a few inches of snow. Has anyone else had this experience? Your feedback is greatly appreciated. thanks
  • j_floodj_flood Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Accent early in 1997 and have had no real problems. I've got 30k on it so far and the only problem I can identify is an annoying rattle that comes from inside the wall on the rear passenger (right side) area. Like any car, every time I took it in to the dealer the rattle was no where to be found (and came back as soon as I left). Other than that the car has been a good value for the money. As for the Metro/Accent debate I have owned both cars and believe me there is NO comparison. I'd pick an Accent over the Metro without hesitation. The Metro just isn't as as well put together. Guess thats why I'm on my third Hyundai and only owned 1 Metro.
    Slava,

That whistling is the resonator on the exhaust system. There is a Technical service bulletin on it. I took mine back to service and they took car of it while I waited. In and out in maybe 1/2 hour.

Joe
  • matt_nelmatt_nel Member Posts: 1
    Dose anyone know if the Acents are capalble of towing, I mean like little 4 x 6 travel trailors. I know some compacts can tow up to 1500, while others will state that towing will void the the warranty. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated
  • chreeschrees Member Posts: 2
    I read in the owner's manual that towing your accent will VOID your warranty. That's the last thing that I would want. I have a 99 Accent that I really enjoy, except that I wish it had a little more power.
  • chreeschrees Member Posts: 2
    that also voids your warranty
    That sounds strange, chrees. I can understand that they don't want you towing with an Accent. What happens if your car breaks down and has to be towed? That voids your warranty? Do other manufacturers do the same?

carlady/host
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    mzn: a lot of cars cannot be towed, not a drawback anyway. Most "wrecker" operators have "tilt-bed" trucks and simply winch it on board. much more desirable than being towed or loaded on a "dolly" type device.

I have been looking at the 2000 Accentsa and am very impressed with the fit and finish and overall quality for such a inexpensive car.

Floridian
  • jtnettjtnett Member Posts: 4
    After some research and much test driving, I just bought a 2000 Accent GS. I love it so far after only 200 miles. I've gone 175 city miles on half a tank which is far better than the 89 GMC Jimmy SUV I traded for it could ever do. My only concern is that the dealer had to look out of state for a GS w/ a 5-speed. He found a really sweet charcoal gray one with far more options than I originally wanted but I liked it anyway. Back to my concern - he had a driver pick it up and drive it 200 miles to here. I noticed there were suction cup marks where the driver undoubtedly used a radar detector. I'm concerned that the first 200 mile break-in limitations were not followed. Should I be worried?

Also, I test drove several Metros (new and used, manual and auto), a Honda Civic DX, two Kia's and a Mazda Protege and the Accent was the best pick for me: style (I like conservative sportiness), options (CD, pwr steering, spoiler, custom floor mats, a/c, pwr windows and locks, intermittent front and rear window wipers, rear defog) and a killer warranty. I couldn't get near the Metro for what I paid for the Accent. The metro may get great mpg but, in my opinion, it has little else. I was going to order an Accent and the dealer offered me a program car off the lot until mine came in, and finally I get free lifetime oil changes every 3k miles. I couldn't pass it up. Well, yes I could have but there was a $500 rebate on top of my trade. So I'm satisfied for now except for the concern above so any comments on this are welcome. Thanks.

Oh, I also found that the CD/radio is the temporary fix for the whistling and road noise :)
    I hope you're still looking for some conversation about Accents. I'm willing to talk about as much as I know and I have more questions, like, has anyone put an aftermarket stereo in a late model accent? Is there much modification necessary? Is the whistling fix necessary? Where the heck is the cruise option?

I'm sorry if I don't seem like the type to own a computer. My 75Mhz Pentium is still playin a mean Tiberian Sun and Chess game. MS Office 2k works great too. Even so, I might have to go get a new computer with all the money I saved on my new car (and gas).
    Thanks for the explanation, floridian! I appreciate it. I wonder if the cruise package means cruise control, jtnett.

carlady/host
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    What did you end up paying for the car after tax, tag, and license? How much did they give you for trade-in? I'm curious as to what kind of deals 2000 Accent owners have been getting because I will be looking at that as my next car within 6 months. It seems like the best deal out there, though I would rather have the Elantra. Also, how is the power of the engine when mated to the stick and how does it shift? How does the optional CD stereo sound? Does the car feel solid, especially when you close the doors? How loud is the engine when accelerating and cruising?Thanks ahead of time for any input.
    Thanks for owning a computer. I was just trying to stir up some conversation in a very slow forum. I enjoy conversing with other Hyundai owners. Thats why I include my e-mail address on my profile.

As far as the whistling noise, it was worth it to me. The noise was annoying.
    I was thinking of getting aftermarket cruise. I drive 83 mi. each way to work and could use a leg rest.

I have always been concerned about buying a new car with miles on it already. Nobody will baby it like you will during break in. There is a topic about "Break in periods" I think under the maintenance section. The opinions run from one extreme to the other.

With the money I saved on the Accent my wife bought a Sonata.
    Well, I am the proud and happy owner of a new 2000 Accent L hatchback. The only option on the car was A/C. Don't even bother asking what I paid for the car, cause I know I paid way too much for it. But the dealer was the first one that could finance me without a cosignor. Considering I have no car credit and am a 20 yr old college student, I am still in shock they sold me the car, though at a pretty penny. Anyway, this car is one solid car! The doors close with the same solid thunk of my mom's Honda. It drives ultra smooth and is peppier than I expected. The clutch is smoother and easier to engage than the Focus or Sephia I drove. The black color makes the car look sporty. The seats are very firm and comfortable, and the car is very quiet cruising down the road (the main thing heard is tire noise). The engine isn't even audible at idle and doesn't shake the steering wheel at all with the A/C on. The interior is well designed and is made of some very nice looking plastics. I could not even find a single production fault on the car. I think the whole crappy Korean car image, especially with Hyundai, is undeserved. Based on how solid the car feels and how well it drives, I have faith that it will last me for many years with little or no problems. The only complaint I have about the car is its ridiculously weak sounding horn. Overall, I think the Accent is a great buy, as long as you come prepared to buy a car, unlike me, LOL. As they say...

Driving is Believing!!
    Well, I'm over a thousand miles into my Accent experience and I'm still loving it! 1ngtonge18, sorry I didn't reply until after you bought your car but I think you made a great choice. I ended up paying $9900 out the door after getting a $2200 trade on my 89 S-15 Blazer. I think I could have done better (don't we all)if I would have read more on this website about dealing, but I got in a hurry and was intimidated by the dealer. Oops. I don't know how much lower I could've went but I'm satisfied for what I knew.
    As for the engine, there's not much power off the line. I see a lot of cars run up on me while I'm getting going. Then again, it isn't a race car and I've never owned such a small car but the Accent gets the job done. I am impressed with its ability to accelerate in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. It's smooth and quiet up to 65-70 mph. After that, the engine remains smooth but I can begin to hear it working although it isn't straining. I just finished the break-in period so I'm wanting to take it up over 70 mph to see whatit'll do.
    Shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd is slightly rough and I get a little grind every so often and sometimes it does not like to go into 1st from a stop, but all the other stick operations are smooth. I wonder if the grinding can be taken care of with an adjustment? I'm also not sure how smart it was to mount the alternator only an inch away from the catalytic converter. I think there's too much heat in that location.
    I'm also not sure I'd spend any extra money for the CD player. Mine skips and the rear speakers are way too cheap. I havent looked at the front ones yet. Does anyone know what size they are? Crutchfield says the back ones are 5-inch but my 5.25's fit prefectly. I'm in the process of buying a Sony Explod system to replace the factory one. On the good side, the factory radio pulls in a ton of stations. I wish it had more output power.
    What I'm truly amazed with is the gas mileage. I just went 370 in-town miles on 9.43 gallons. that's 39 mpg!!! I have pretty level roads and moderate stop and start but still. I think it's great!
    Poconojoe, is there an aftermarket cruise control for these cars?
    Gotta go for now.
    I'm not sure if there is a aftermarket cruise because I haven't really looked into it yet. If anyone finds one, Please let us know. I wouldn't think there'd be many choices because Hyundai doesn't offer cruise as an option for the Accents.

My 99' Accent now has 27k miles, and it seemed to break in and run better after about 12k. Gas mileage got better too. I like how it climbs hills in 5th gear, without downshifting.
    Also those Kumho tires are actually holding up pretty good for a brand I never heard of before. Still have decent tread left.

As far as the shifting Jtnett spoke of, I never had that problem. I have noticed that it has a long throw shifter. When mine was new I would sometimes not fully put it into gear because I was used to my last car with a short throw. That would make a grinding sound. I quickly got used to this.
    My first impressions of the Accent still stand at 600 miles. I was a bit disappointed with my first tank of gas as I only averaged 25.5 mpg. However, my second tank average jumped to 31.7, under the same mostly city driving. I was impressed, but I hope it continues to rise a bit more.
    I have discovered a few annoyances with the car. First, there is some kind of buzzing sound coming from the passenger side of the car, but I can't figure out what is causing it. I don't always hear it and it is a relatively soft noise, but it still aggravates me a bit. Second, the handling is too soft on this car. It begs for larger performance tires and the rear end feels skittish, like it is trying to swap ends on you (an odd feeling considering it is front drive). It definitely lacks the precision and firm euro handling of my VW GTI. I am wondering whether the sport suspension package that came on the Accent GT and Gsi models would fit the new 2000s. Anyone know whether it would?? I definitely would like to get the 14" alloys that came with the Gsi or the ones on the Elantra. I plan on adding the rear spoiler and alloy wheels as soon as I can get some money (possibly fog lights as well). I too am interested in adding cruise control! If anyone hears anything about how to add cruise, please let us know!! Overall, the Accent is a great car and I am glad I chose it instead of a used car, the tiny and less substantial feeling Metro, or the less known Daewoo. I would recommend this car to anyone on a tight budget in need of a well built, solid car.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    When I bought my 99 Accent Sedan last September the dealer told me they could install cruise control for $400. This must be an aftermarket cruise control since the other Hyundai dealer in my area wanted to send me to a place that specialised in aftermarket cruise control. I think $400 is just too much money right now. I use my Wife's Elantra for long family trips now. I drive 100 miles a day in my Accent and spend about 3 hours in the car, but most of this driving is city driving and I can't really use cruise control much. Got 21,000 miles on the Accent so far with no problems. Suprisingly comfortable car for the money. Well built too. Our 99 Accent and 99 Elantra are the only new cars I have bought that I didn't have to take back to the dealer to fix a factory defect. New cars I have owned in the past are Honda, Mercedes, and Subaru. Very impressive for such low priced cars. VERY good gas mileage even with the automatic trans. By the way the four speed auto in this car is really first rate. I got the auto trans so my wife could drive the car, but I am really happy with it. The AC is really strong too, important here in Florida.
    Scott
  • genes555genes555 Member Posts: 10
    i'm glad you enjoyed the links from the la times!

i certainly do enjoy this site and really appreciate it!

go edmunds!!!
    Thank you for the kind words, genes555.

carlady/host
  • DDpianomanDDpianoman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Accent GS that I bouhgt new 2 summers ago and currently have 39k on....It has been a gd car except for the tires, which although I rotated them accordingly, they had a nasty vibration since birth! So I replaced them and it was much better.... I just put new brakes on the car at 38k and it rides pretty much like when I bought it.. And it looks new! My main gripe now about the car is the trade in value.. Man it really didn't hold any value at all....I have only been offered $5200 as a high dollar amt in trade on a new one.. After I pd over 12k new, thats a crime... Be aware when you buy it, that this will happen.. I'm quite upside down. Have a grt summer
    Hey all,
    Well, my pride in my new 2000 Accent was severely hurt today. I just returned from a 900 mile round-trip and was extremely impressed with the car's highway manners. It rides very comfortably for an economy car and was very quiet, even at speeds in excess of 80 mph. I averaged 35.7 mpg at a constant 80-85 mph over 340 miles. My main gripe with the car is its super sensitivity to grooves in the road. It requires you to keep correcting your path. I think its small 13" tires are too blame for its overly-sensitive steering.
    However, my feel good attitude about the car after the trip was quickly taken away when I heard a loud whining sound coming from my transmission, even though I was in neutral at a stoplight. I depressed the clutch and the sound immediately went away. As soon I released the clutch again, the noise came back. There was also a gritty feeling coming through the pedal when you put a small amount of pressure on it. In other words, my throw-out release bearing is shot! I have less then 2000 miles on my car!! I am disappointed to say the least. To replace this part more then likely requires pulling the whole tranny off my car. Even though it is covered under warranty, it is still a big hassle and could lead to other problems, such as leaks, if the dealer does not do a quality job. I am hoping this is just a fluke and not just the beggining of many problems. I also hope I did not make a mistake purchasing this car. I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow for the first time to find out how long it will take them to get this part and how long it will be in the shop to get it fixed. I will let you know the outcome of my misfortune.
  • mike_rmike_r Member Posts: 1
    All right Everyone,
    Bought new Accent 3 Door hatch back in February.
    Beautiful to look and and beautiful to drive.
    Found it to be incredibly smooth and no noise from it.
    Took it through the suggested break in period and was quite surprised to see how well the Accent will perform on the motorway, higher speeds and still and smooth quiet ride.
    Cabin is great too although I feel the dash board is a bit bland. Everything is easy reach which I like but for a 2000 car I would have expected more, maybe a bit more styling but then I suppose it is called an economy car. The drivers seat is perfect and love the various settings. The clutch rest makes driving even more comfortable.
    I love the exterior styling of the car and think it's one of the better looking cars on the road this year.
    So what's the prob.
    Okay, have the windows open or partially open they tend to rattle.
    One the drivers side there is a vibration coming from the speaker, as if there is something loose.
    Also the gear stick has a grinding or rubbing noise.
    These problems I have had sorted out with the dealer and happy.
    But since, here's more.
    A really annoying vibration has developed from the
    underarea of the booth. Maybe the spare wheel, but further inspection shows it is not. Also when I am in second or third gear the engine gives off a vibration, and this too bothers me.
    These problems will again be inspected by the dealer and are covered under the warranty.
    I like the car a lot but if I fails to give satisfaction, maybe the next new car will be????
    Who knows. But Hyundai better live up to what they say they are. Lots of really good cars out there to choose from. I Want a Hyundai again but I suppose that is really up to Hyundai and not me.
  • tankone1tankone1 Member Posts: 1
    I Lied, i lied - i drive a Renault Savanna 21 '90 and not a Hyundai. I was intrigued to be given this web site address by a colleague, and to find that people could actually natter on about peculiarities and joys of owning a particular car.

So, now i declare my innocence of ever wanting to purchase or own a renault car. At the moment i have a Renault 21 Savanna, drives like a baby sleeps, but schreeches like a bi ch when trying to stop. The inside is...burp, oops must have been designed by a French Portable Loo Vendor with no previous knowledge in car design. It does have electric windows not that they dont work or anything, but they do have up and down arrows on the buttons.

The outside shape and shade looks similar in origin of the Guatimalian Humperback Elephants behind. Smells like one in the inside to!!

The most likely thing to fail in this car is the steering rack if your ever considering buying one
    Over the years over 6000 has been spent repairing this bad excuse of a car.

My overall vote, everyone buy porche so it will become an economical car!!

By the Way - Thanks a million RENAULT!!!
  • bennj1979bennj1979 Member Posts: 8
    I'm a college student, in search of reliable transportation. Gas mileage, of course, is also an issue, as well as initial cost.

As of right now, i'm driving a Hyundai Excel (1990) that I purchased at 135K miles from a dude that needed to sell it fast, for $450.00. At the time, the car look pretty nice, no crashes, burned a little oil, but, that seems to be Hyundai's weak spot. At any rate, it's got 141K miles on it, and still runs strong (though it's lost compression due to the seals). Aside from squeeks and rattles, I can't complain, gets me from A to B, but, with these newer inspection laws in New Jersey, basically, only new cars pass (noticed alot of classic cars for sale lately?).

I've been shopping around for 2 weeks, and i'm at a stalemate: Hyundai, Daewoo, or Kia (which seems to be owned either wholly or in part by Hyundai Corp, look it up at www.hyundai.com). I need reliability, not comfort, though A/C is a must. I can't beat the gas mileage i'm getting out of my current Hyundai, about 48 mpg on the highway.. no joke, 12 bucks plus and i'm set for the week.

Insurance companies are also reluctant to insure guys my age, 21, and i'm paying 1,200.00 a year for liability on my car now. I rated a Chevy Prizm 1998 at 2,552.00 a year for full coverage, it's not "high profile" like these other cars. I think any car, as long as it's taken car of properly, should last its original owner quite a while (with the exception of those freaky lemons).

Interesting how Korea is beginning to take a bigger bite out of the compact car market in the US... okay, so, out of so many manufacturers, one of them has to be at least so-so... which one?
  • bennj1979bennj1979 Member Posts: 8
    Isuzu just beat Hyundai's warranty, try 10 year, 120K mile powertrain... that's on the Rodeo I think, but I can't afford that anyway.
    Hey,
    I'm a 20 year old male and have a 2000 Accent. I think its a great car and is very comfortable and quiet for its price. It also is a nice looking car. I got the base L hatchback with the only option being A/C. I think thats the way you should go. I drove the Sephia but was not impressed with its quality as much as I was with Hyundai (the Sephia had very weak brakes, loud engine, annoying clutch engagement, and low fuel economy numbers). I also have driven the Daewoo Lanos(junky and cheap looking interior compared to the Hyundai, its warranty is not near as good). If you look up a few posts, you will see I was miffed about the noise coming from my tranny after a long distance trip. Well, the noise is intermittent now and it is the only problem I have encountered. The car came with no manufacturer defects. I was quite impressed with that. The noise has not affected the way the car drives and I am not too worried since I have plenty of warranty left. The one thing that sucks about the Accent is its acceleration at city speeds with the A/C on. Once you hit 50, the car hauls pretty good considering its 1.5 liter engine. It drives very solid at a steady 80-85 mph. Engine noise only begins to become intrusive around 90, the fastest I have taken it so far. I currently get around 36-37 mpg on the highway, though my engine is not fully broken in yet with only 2000 miles.
    As far as insurance is concerned, you need to shop around!! I live in Florida, and am paying roughly $1300 a year for full coverage with only a $500 deductible. Now, I am only covered for a piddling $20,000 an accident, but that should be enough unless you total the other guys car which would be hard in a small Hyundai. I have no accidents or points on my license; don't know if your record is as clean. Anyway, my insurance company is Atlanta Casualty if you are interested. Don't settle for the big name insurance companies!! They will just charge you ridiculously high prices because of your age. Good luck to you in your search!