Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• perry40perry40 Member Posts: 94
    Hadn't noticed the mis-spelling ... One thing that bothers me regarding Hyundai products, is the fact that Hyundai automatic transmissions still seem to be prone to the same types of malfunctions that have been plaguing them for several years now ... if these problems are due to inherent design flaws in the unit, then you would think that these bugs would have been engineered out by now ... especially since it appears to be so common?
  • melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for mentioning the mis-spelling. It's been corrected.
  • suds277suds277 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I am a high school senior and a first time car-buyer. I need a reliable car for college and have decided on the accent. the car i am looking at now is an automatic, with air, rear spoiler, floor mats and mud guards. the dealer will give me the car for $10,889 (there is a $500 rebate in effect this month). could you guys please tell me what you paid for your accents? do you think the price i was quoted is reasonable? Thanks for your help
  • kinghyundaikinghyundai Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am looking to buy a 2000 GS Hatchback. My problem is, I won't be able to buy one till November of 2001. I don't think the dealers will still have the 2000 models anymore. Do anyone else think they will? I don't want to buy a used car, so what should I do? Someone please help! Thanks a lot! Carson
  • aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    I bought my 2000 Accent just a bit over a year ago now. I have the basic model equipped with AC and the manual shifter. At 12000 miles, everything is just fine at the moment. No trips back to the dealer for problems, so far. I drove off the lot, taxes, title, regie, and other charges included for $10700. I wonder if the prices have changed very much in a year?...
  • malaz002malaz002 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure whether you're still reading this forum, bobcook54, but do you have any additional information yet regarding the sporty upgrade the Accent is scheduled to receive this spring or summer? I'm seriously considering the purchase of an Accent GS hatchback with option package 3, but would be tragically disappointed if I bought one now and they came out with a "GSi-like" version a few months later. I will be grateful for any information you, or anyone else :~), can provide!

Cheers.
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    Yeah,I'm still hanging around! Haven't heard any thing for awhile,but I'll check and post here. Bob
    Well, it appears that the sport package for the Accent has been killed for this model year and it's unclear about 2002 availabilty. Sorry to inform you,so go ahead buy one and enjoy!!! Bob
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Kinghyundai: If you are waiting that long to buy an Accent, why not buy a 2001? The 2002 will already be out by November, so the 2001 models will be discounted. I don't see the point in buying a 2000 model as it will already be a used car by than.

suds277: Is that price out the door or before taxes and the other charges? If it's before taxes, than it is too high, especially when there is a $500 rebate. Don't let the dealer have the rebate!! Unless you are good at negotiating, they will try to get the rebate and up the price on your car. In other words, you will get screwed out of money that rightfully belongs to you. Just be very attentive about the rebate and where it really goes.
  • iggy6iggy6 Member Posts: 7
    I am now an accent owner! 2001 1.3i auto. GB£7349. I think its great, and i like the challenge of keeping up and sometimes overtaking (!) other traffic while keeping the engine out of the i'm-going-to-explode-at-any-moment sounding rev range. Anyway, i get wind noise at 78+mph around the windscreen pillar, is that normal?
  • malaz002malaz002 Member Posts: 4
    Darn! Maybe I should go to Canada and get a GSi...
    For essentially the same price, you get so much more (body color side mirrors, sunroof, premium wheels/tires, sport-tuned suspension, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, fog lights,etc.). Oh well.

Thanks for all your help, bobcook54. If you get any more info regarding the Elantra GT, would you mind posting it in that section?

Cheers to all!
  • kinghyundaikinghyundai Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am now looking for a 1999 Hyundai Accent GS. Does anyone know where a good place to look might be? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Someone please help! Thanks, Carson
    Where do you live? I would try Autotrader.com. We are associated with them and you can get specific on their website. It's a great way to find out where specific models are in your part of the country. Bob
  • dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    I don't know why they bother me so, but I guess I have just been raised to think about the worst thing a car can do is rattle. Drove my father crazy, and I have many memories of him banging around on the dash trying to locate them (not really sure what good it did).

Anyway, now it is the windows. We actually reached about 40F degrees (!) here in Michigan, and I actually felt the need to drive with my windows down for the very first time. Anyway, both windows rattle pretty good when about 1/2 way down. Of course, just about every road in Michigan is uneven pavement at this time of year. What I really want to know is, do others have this problem? I know perry40, you mentioned it a while back. Do you have power windows or standard ones? I have power windows in a 2001 GS, and just want to hear any comments from others.

Finally, I have never owned a car with a warranty before, and I don't really know what to expect. I know the manual says some vague comment about not being responsible for minor defects which don't effect the functioning of the vehicle, but they also want to make customers happy, right? Or not? I mean, is the dealer going to balk at me or think I am out of line if I ask him to fix this when I go in for a scheduled stop? Again, I confess my complete ignorance in any matters of this sort, and would very much welcome any comments or pointers.

Thanks,
    DW
  • iggy6iggy6 Member Posts: 7
    I've never owned a car with warranty before my accent and i asked what is covered, they said anything that does not perform its designed function properly, so if the windows are not designed to rattle then the repair is covered under warranty, i guess. (ps. are the windscreen pillars designed to be wind-noise-free up to 78mph only???)
    dbwells: My manual windows don't rattle with them halfway open. They are quite tight in their openings and require some effort to wind them down. The only time they rattle when halfway down is when you slam the door. Any justifiable complaint you have is covered under warranty and should be taken care of by the dealer. If they are that bad, take it in. It probably has a loose bolt or something.

iggy6: The A-pillars on any car makes noise at high speeds. It is quite normal. My Accent starts making noticeable wind noise right around 80 mph. Consider that good, because some cars start making noise before that. My 91 Nissan Stanza is godawful loud compared to my Accent (the mirrors whistle and lots of wind noise can be heard when u hit 70). Amazing that the Stanza passed as a mainstream family sedan back than. Cars sure have come a long way.
  • lw12lw12 Member Posts: 5
    i have test driven a 2001 Accent GS and have noticed changing gears on surface streets and driving on the freeway, i can hear a high pitched engine sound....? is this normal? the engine sounds whiny..thanks
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    I'm about to buy a 2001 Accent GL. This is a basic model, four-doors with no A/C. This is a 5-speed. They gave my a price of $9,500. Is this a good price??
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    I don't think the price is great. I don't know where you live. But here in SF bay area where cars are expensive, I could get a GL with either AC or Auto at $9k + tax + license + $70 CA smog fee + $45 doc fee.
    Unfortunately, I live in upstate NY, near Albany. Wanted to add that the price includes designation charge and advertisement fees. I have to pay tax, title and registration.
    Speaking as a manager at a Hyundai dealership,I would say that's a good price. Looks like you are buying it at invoice.
  • leeannrleeannr Member Posts: 7
    I've been lurking here for a few weeks. I bought a 2001 Accent GS 5 weeks ago. It is a 5-speed. I took it back twice because when I shift it, especially when it's cold, the gear lever catches and makes a rumbly noise. The first trip back, they bled my clutch line (?) Second trip back, I talked to the service manager, and he said that is normal for the Accent 5-speed, and even took out another one like mine, from the lot, so I could see that it too did the same. He told me it would work out as the car is broken in and when the warmer weather comes. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone have a 2001 GS 5-speed that has quiet, smooth shifting?
    One more question: since I'm short, I have to have my seat far forward so I can work the clutch pedal. Because my car is a 2-door, that makes for a mighty long reach for the seat belt. Does anyone know of some way to keep the seat belt further forward, closer to where I can reach it. My shoulders are blown from years of canoeing, so it is sometimes painful to reach for it!
    TIA
    What you are experiencing is very common. The Accent is not known for smooth shifting, nor is any Hyundai for that matter. My 2000 Accent did the same thing and still does if I don't take care when shifting. You cannot shift fast with this car or you will encounter the catching and grinding. My biggest grinding problem is with 3rd gear, but first gear is sometimes reluctant to engage. The problem does lessen with mileage as mine has loosened up some. It is normal for manual trannys to be more reluctant when it is cold out as well. My only suggestion is to try and shift slower and make sure your clutch is pushed all the way down to the floor when you change gears. But it should get better as you rack up the miles and the temperature gets warmer.
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    I agree with the notchy shifting. I own an Accord and it does it also. Gets better with time. About the seat belt. I used to drive a 3 door 89 Excel and had the same problem. I used to get the seat belt to catch on the side bolster of the drivers seat. BTW my Accord has required more warranty work than my Hyundai. 4X the price 4X the trouble :-)
    Thank you so much for setting my mind at ease! The car is so much fun to drive except for that, and I was afraid that someone may have been trying to pull a fast one on me. My apologies to the service manager for doubting him.
    I have had the car since Feb. 2nd, and already have it 2/3 paid for! You can't beat car value like that.
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    In 89 we got ours for around $5000 and paid it off in 2 years. We got it instead of a Cavalier because we could not afford it. It has been the best car ever. We still own it and it is bullet proof. BTW the higher you rev the engine the more notchy it will be once you shift.
    I now have over 12000 miles on my 1 year old Accent. So far, no significant problems. The manual transmission does get easier to shift over time. Remember, in cold weather, the oil in the manual transmission must be very thick until it warms up. I think they use like an 80 or 90 weight gear box oil in there. The car has been very economical so far. I am getting about 32 mpg around town with close to 40 mpg on the highway, so I am pleased.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    Bought my 99 Accent sedan in Sept 99 as a cheap commuter car for the 100 mile a day commute to work. After 45,000 miles I have to say it has exceeded my expectations. The only problems I have had have been a noisy bearing on my power steering pump, and a radio that was blowen out by a lightning strike. Both problems were fixed by the dealer for free under warranty. The car has been utterly reliable with great fuel economy. It has been comfortable for the 3 hours a day I spend in it even when the temperatures here in Central Florida hit the 90's (great AC). The Kumho tires have stood up very well, I have only had to have them rebalanced once. The auto trans has been perfect so far, I had the fluid and filter replaced at 30,000 miles. I have always used synthetic oil and the engine hasn't leaked or burned a drop of oil so far. Benn real happy with the car so far. I bought a 99 Elantra for my Wife in August of 99 too. No problems at all with the Elantra after 20,000 miles so far. I guess we got real lucky. Of course it helps to do the maintainance too.
  • sfarkas2sfarkas2 Member Posts: 12
    Great chat on the gear shifting. I have/had a major concern with the shifting as well. I have about 4500km's on my 01 GSi. Like to try and drive it like a sports car, but with having to pay extraordinary attention to hitting the gears just right, takes a bit of fun out of bootin around. It has loosend-up a bit, but not as much as I would have hoped. Do any of you, that have commented on the shifting issues, ever found that your tranny may become temperamental. What I mean, is if its shifting really good, then you happen to 'grind' one, then its like the tranny gets all pissed off and won't let you shift smooth again for a while (sounds like woman, doesn't it? :) ). Anyway, keep up the great chat.
    Did you test drive both the lesser Accents and the GSi you bought? I'm curious how much better the Accent handles when equipped with the sport suspension and the larger 14" alloy wheels. Share with us your opinion if you did compare them.
  • bwilson44bwilson44 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2001 Accent GL in the shop twice now for what I consider major repairs. At 5,200 miles I heard loud clicking noise on the valve covers. They had to replace failed liters (engine issue). Now it's back at 6,200 for a transmission problem (automatic tranny). After about an hour of driving is seems to get stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you put it in Park and back into drive you get a loud clank from the tranny!! Acceleration from a stop is sluggish, then at 40mph it's raving at 3.5k RPM!!. Only way to fix is to turn the car off, then on. It seems to then temp. fix the problem. Brought it into the shop and they say it needs a new pulse generator. However, it won't be in for a few days. This car is only 4 months old and its been in the shop more than my previous car (Dodge Colt with 158K) So far I'm not pleased with reliability. The jury is still out, but I hope I haven't bought a lemon. Anyone else having this type of problem???
  • 1scoot1scoot Member Posts: 3
    HAS ANYONE HEARD OF A CD PLAYER INSTALLATION KIT FOR THE 2000 ACCENTS? I HAVE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR ONE AND NO ONE HAS ONE. THEY SAY THEY DON'T MAKE THEM, YET. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN INSTALL MY PIONEER CD PLAYER IN MY ACCENT?

THANKS
  • 1scoot1scoot Member Posts: 3
    I NOTICED QUESTIONED #13 MENTIONED A K&N AIR FILTER FOR THE ACCENT. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR ONE AND CAN'T FIND ONE. CAN ANYONE HELP.
  • hellopathellopat Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying the Accent or the Daewoo Lanos...I finally narrowed my cars down to these 2. Does anybody have any input in deciding between the two ?.. Also, do these 2 cars share the same engine..?. ( DOHC 1.6L 105 HP).
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    For more feedback, you may also want to post (copy/paste) your question into our new Daewoo Lanos (pricing & information) discussion. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

There is no cd player installation kit currently available for the 2000-newer Accents. Sorry to say, the only way you can install your cd player is to go without the trim plate that covers the entire middle of the dash. Otherwise, you will have to pay the $500 to have your dealer install Hyundai's cd player. It sucks that Hyundai made such a stupid decision.
    The 1.6 liter DOHC 16-valve engines are not the same, even though they have the same power output. Hyundai designed and built their own engine. Daewoo uses an engine designed by Opel, which is a European GM division. I think you can get a better deal on the Accent because Daewoo tries to charge full sticker price for their cars, whereas you can more readily deal on Hyundais. The Accent has more cargo space than the Lanos and I feel it is a more solid car. They both are attractive looking cars. The Lanos has a louder more unrefined sounding engine. Go test drive both of them and see which one you prefer.
    My brother had a similar problem with his VW Golf automatic tranny. After taking it back numerous times to the dealer, they finally discovered the problem...the throttle body control module in the transmission. That and 3 or 4 other parts were replaced, and it's working fine now.
  • kitten78kitten78 Member Posts: 2
    bwilson...see number 401. My boyfriend has had all kinds of transition problems and they even replaced the entire thing. Yet, it still sometimes drops speed to 20mph and jumps up as high as it can in rpms. He took it in again, and they can't find anything. The whole lemon law thing is different by state, so look into it. My boy's almost to that point. Good luck with yours! I must say I will NEVER buy a Hyundai...I've heard much more about problems than successes.
    I just bought a 2001 GL Accent 5-speed. What brand oil filter would be best??
    I would use Purolator. They actually have an internal bypass valve just like the original equipment Hyundai filter. Fram does not have this valve. Purolator's filters have also been tested as providing better filtration than Fram, AC Delco, and other big name filters.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    depending on where you go to get your oil changed, you can get Purolator filters installed without having to make a separate trip to pick one up on your way to the oil change shop. At least one shop I know of called Tune-Up Masters on Irving Blvd in Irving, TX uses Purolator filters and also uses Castrol GTX 10W-30 bulk oil. They also use Group 7 filters but not for all cars. I believe the Group 7 filters are manufactured by Champion, which is not a good filter. Neither are Fram, STP, and most generics. The AC filters, well, some do and some don't. There is (was?) an oil filter discussion in the Maintenance & Repair conference and there is a web page somewhere (you can get to it from allpar.com) that shows a test of every filter...the good and the bad.
  • ritsainritsain Member Posts: 3
    hi,

am planning to buy an Accent GL Auto (Package 2 w. A/C) soon. as far as i can figure, the best deal i'm getting so far is about $ 11,500 (including tax, registration, advertising fee, etc.). is it a good deal? if not, does anybody know of any dealer near philadelphia where i can get a better deal?
  • rpiereckrpiereck Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Accent GS in April 2000 and have since put almost 28,000 miles in it. The people at two dealerships tell me they haven't seen a 2000 Accent with as many miles as my car. So far the only problem I had with my car was that I had to replace the water pump due to a bad bearing, which Metro Hyundai in Redlands, CA replaced under warranty in less than one day. Because I had the extended warranty I had a rental car for that day. The car was a Ford Contour, which I found out is a horrible car, poorly put together with flimsy plastics and Ford's usual poor ergonomics. In the past year I also drove a rental 2000 Neon for 1 month on a business trip and hated that car, with only 4000 miles the CV joints were clunking and the engine spurting. I took it back to the rental place and the only car they had was a Chrysler Sebring Convertible, I drove thay one for another week, now that was a well made, nice car, but $26000 worth! I'd much rather have my Accent than that horrible Neon or Contour. My Accent is very well put together, made with quality materials and has endured one road trip through the entire state of California and almost 1 year of desert roads, dirt roads, highways and city driving in California and Nevada. The only "modifications" I did to the car was replacing the stock oil with synthetic Mobil 1 oil and putting Bosch's 4+ Platinum spark plugs. I really recommend the spark plugs as they made the car feel a little bit more responsive on the throttle. The car has averaged 33 mpg for the past 28,000 miles, the worst recorded gas mileage so far was 30 mpg, the best was 38 mpg. The only options it has is an a/c that blows 38 degrees (measured) air (mandatory item here in the desert); the tranny is manual, and it has dealer installed carpets and mud guards. I plan on buying HVE's (www.hve.au) bigger throttle body for the intake, to increase the torque a little and definitely install bigger rims and tires, most likely 14 inch rims with 185/60-14 tires, maybe 15 inch rims with 195/50-15 tires. I heard the 195/50-15 tires will rub, any one has any experience with that? I never thought I'd own a Hyundai and I only looked at the Accent because Ford didn't have a rebate on the Focus, and once I stepped in the Accent I was hooked, I never thought a Hyundai could be so nice. I know it is no pocket rocket, but it delivers quality, reliable transportation with excellent gas mileage (we're paying $1.70/gallon and above in California) and relative comfort. I don't think I could have any better car for less than $16,000. I love my Accent!!

Ren

BTW: the window sticker price was less than $10,500.
    I bought my 99 Accent GL sedan in Sept of 1999. I just couldn't wait for the 2000 model. I have almost 46,000 miles on it now. As I wrote before I had the bearing in my power steering pump go bad at 28,000 miles. It started to make just enough noise to warn me something was not right. It never stranded me. The dealer fixed it in a day and gave me a loaner car for the day it was in the shop. They gave me a huge Dodge crew cab pickup truck with a v8 engine. It was a blast to drive a truck with that much power. I use synthetic oil in my Accent too along with Hyundai oil filters. The Hyundai oil filters are nice filters by the way, and I reccomend them. I also get from 30 to 39 mpg with my automatic. We bought a 99 Elantra a month before we bought the Accent. The Elantra is my Wife's car and has been trouble free after 20,000 miles. The air conditioning in both of these cars are great and needed here in Florida. We have been very happy with our Hyundais
    I forgot to mention I put the Bosch +4 sparkplugs on my 99 Accent. I like the fact that I didn't have to gap them. The engine seems to run a little better at high RPM's too. Gas mileage is about the same. Good plugs, I will put them on my Wife's Elantra when the time comes.
  • dslfandslfan Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am considering buying an Accent in the next month or so. Just wondering, since I have yet to test drive one... Does the Accent hatchback have amber, or red turn signals? I noticed that the tail light lenses are all red on the HB, but on the sedan, there's an amber section. I'm a bit of a euro car freak so I would like to have amber turn signals if possible. Also, does anyone know of a cheap source in the U.S. for the 14" stamped wheels that are offered on the GSi in Canada? I would like to put some 14" rims on when I do buy one and use the 13" rims for winter tires. Anyway, I've enjoyed reading the posts on here and am looking forward to buying one sometime soon!
    I have the 2000 Accent Hatchback and it has amber turn signals, but I don't know if Hyundai has made any changes in the newer model.
  • dslfandslfan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks aldag, good to know. I've still got another month or so of saving before I'm going to be actually buying one, but I suppose I should test drive one soon. The closest I've been is to sit in an unlocked Accent on a Sunday afternoon. Looks like a pretty decent car for the price though. I drive an '85 Jetta diesel currently, so this will be my first new car. (Can't afford a new VW TDI). Anyway, the Accent should be a big improvement. Going from a car with 52 hp to something with 105 will be like driving a rocket. Hehe.