Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

191011121315»

Comments

• patrn66patrn66 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the 2002 Beetle for about 6 months. I replaced the temperature sensors when I bought it as the temp light and oil lights were flashing at me. No problems until today when the temp light started flashing red and the check engine light came on. Car is running fine, pleanty of radiator fluids, nothing leaking anywhere. Any ideas? Can't find the water pump and where is the thermostat located? Trouble figuring out this engine! I can' t really afford a huge bill right now but would appreciate any info anyone can give. Thanks! :confuse:
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    waterpump is driven from the TIMING belt thus is burried underneath the timingbelt-cover. It should be replaced when your timingbelt is replaced.

Thermostat is mounted where the LOWER radiator hose enters the engine. This is because VW uses the superiour "bypass cooling system" design which always flows coolant thru the engine. (instead of the high-mounted thermostat which stops the flow when engine is too cool.)

Now to address your original issue.... the coolant light flashing. This DOES NOT mean that your engine temparture is incorrect. A FLASHING light means the antifreeze LEVEL sensor is uncovered. Most often, this can be fixed by adding less than 1/2 cup of DISTILLED water to resavouir. (If you need to add more fluid than than that, use G12 antifreeze)

BTW, The electrical plug on the side of the resivour is the connector to the level-sensor. The level-sensor is simply 2 prongs which stick down into the antifreeze. If the level gets too low, the prongs are uncovered and the computer senses no electrical flow. (Antifreeze conducts electricity)
  • patrn66patrn66 Member Posts: 2
    I know very little about VW's. I can take apart a V-8 and fix it on the side of the road but this car gets me. I think I will buy a old car to drive around in because I HATED being stuck on the side of the road in the dark. Thank you for your answer, I will try it now before it gets torn apart. Appreciate the help.
  • kcrallkcrall Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I've heard many people telling me horror stories about the whole end of lease thing and I'm curious to know how hard is it to get another VW when my current lease is up? We did have late payments on our lease with VW due to family hardship but we're on track now and I honestly don't want to keep the Beetle I got in 05 because I need something bigger and also, I don't know if I could get a car financed now after the time of hardship we experienced for a few months last year. Will VW make me reapply? I'm hoping that since we already have the current lease they'll be more than happy to go ahead and lease us another vehicle. Any info on this subject would be great. Thanks
  • b33tl3boyb33tl3boy Member Posts: 3
    yea what i do when that happens is to turn ur car off for about 30 min or so and it should go down the next time u start your car.
  • budgiebudgie Member Posts: 1
    year 2000 beetle 2 litre petrol, are there 2 oil pressure sensors fitted to this model? The audible low oil pressure beeps 3 times approx 30 seconds after starting the car and then does not sound again till the car is stopped and restarted. The pressure sensor above the oil filter was replaced today and it still beeps 3 times on starting up!
    Any inf/suggestions Thanks :confuse:
    Instead of just replacing parts, why not use a pressure guage to actually MEASURE the oil-pressure.

Also, make CERTAIN you are running the specified 5W30 oil and that your oilFilter is the proper one for your car.
  • wasit_adreamwasit_adream Member Posts: 1
    So yesterday I bought a 99 Beetle (I am ecstatic beyond all reason!) but there are a few things about it that are, or at least seem, off and I was hoping someone could tell me if they're things I need to worry about.

First, whenever I start the engine (even if I drove it less than an hour ago) the blue temperature gauge comes on (it doesn't flash). I don't know if this is something that is normal and is supposed to happen everytime you start it, or what.

Second, the gasoline gauge is broken. I have a mechanic friend who said it could just be a loose wire, but if it's not is this a problem that would cost a lot to fix?

Third, the car made a weird sound when I started it (think along the lines of whining) and I took it to that mechanic friend, and he said he thought I needed to replace the serpentine belt. He said the belt itself isn't expensive but he didn't know about labor on a VW. If you'd had this replaced on your bug could you tell me the cost?

Like I said, I absolutely adore my car (I've wanted one since I was eight), but these things make me a little bit nervous.

Thanks for your help (:
    :confuse:
    Did you get an owners-manual with your NB (New Beetle)? My daughter even got a VHS tape with her NB which describes most of the features. (I have that tape i my hand now)

The blue indicator is NORMAL. There is no temparture GUAGE in the NB to tell you when the engine is still not warmed up. Thus, the light is blue to indicate that the engine is still not up to temparture. We all know that an engine should be driven gently whilst it is warming up and the blue indicator gives you that information.

The fuel gauge really needs to be troublesot to isolate the problem. I beleive VWs have an "access port" under the rear seat so the fuel-sender is accessable without removing the fuel tank. HOWEVER, at this point you do not have enough details to determine what the problem is.

Replacing the serp. belt takes about 45 seconds and the only trouble is that the NB does not have much room to work under the hood.

An important thing to remember... do NOT leave the heated mirrors in the "ON" position any longer than needed lest they will burn out. (Some people leave the mirror-knob in the center position which is the "ON" postition for the heaters)
  • kennycarterkennycarter Member Posts: 4
    Congratulations on your new purchase? I have an '04 Convertible GLS myself and really enjoy it.

What's the mileage on your '99 Beetle? Somewhere between 60-80k miles (and sometimes people have even had problems before that) the following (at least) need to be replaced:

1) water pump ( these actually come with a plastic impeller...need to be replaced with a metal one when the job is done. These are available with 3rd party companies such as http://www.koperformance.com/volkswagen/index.htm or eBay, etc.
    2) timing belt (if this breaks on you, you are looking at possibly thousands of $ in repairs...
    3) tensioner
    4) miscellaneous other small parts:
    Timing Belt Idler Pulley
    Coolant G12 (only kind that will work with a Beetle)
    Distilled Water
    Accessory belt (optional )
    Thermostat (optional)
    New engine mount bolts

If any of the above fail, they all need to be replaced while you're already there.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3998685 shows photos of all this...this guy said it took him 10 hours.

If all of this is done in a repair facility, the cost is somewhere in the range of $600-$900...$900 being the VW Dealership. As I said earlier, the price of not doing it runs as high as $4,000. Not good.
    bpeebles, I'd love to get a copy of your Beetle VHS! Let me know if you will...I'll happily pay for it.

Kenny
  • megaloskilomegaloskilo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 VW New Beetle and the parking or gear indicator lights stay on all the time. That is to say if it's in 'park' or 'drive' or whatever gear, all the lights/letters are illuminated. So by looking at the indicator alone you can't tell what gear or position the transmission is in.

Has anyone had this happen before and what if any remedy did you find? The car drives fine and it doesn't appear to have a transmission or shifting problem. The car is still under warranty but I'm just curious as to what might be causing the problem.
  • Turbo_S_DriverTurbo_S_Driver Member Posts: 1
    Here is a cool West Coast Beetle Blog that you can compare prices at...

www.DASBeetle.blogspot.com
  • etbugetbug Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this site, I have a 2001 1.8T GLX :)
  • luckynetaluckyneta Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Beetle from a used car dealer. I love my little car but it didn't come with a owners manual. There is a few things that I don't know about it. Does anyone know where I could get an owners manual? And I have another question also. Behind the back seats Is there suppose to be something between the window and the seat? Kinda like the back window in a bigger car?
    luckyneta, come on over to www.newbeetle.org. There are lots of folks over there that can be of help to you...I have a convertible, so I don't know the answer to your question.
  • vwfreak80vwfreak80 Member Posts: 2
    We have an 02 beetle- in between the seat and the back window there is a flat shelf-ish thing that goes between. covers my speaker set i put in there. It is removable. :)
  • texasguy83texasguy83 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2001 New Beetle with about 70,000 miles on it, the temperature light started flashing. I checked the coolant levels and everything seemed fine, however, come to find out the water pump needed to be replaced, I suggest getting it done as quickly as possible, eventually the water pump will fail and you will be sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck.

The service station I took my VW to showed me the waterpump, and the inside was completely melted from all the heat, the water pump actually isn't very expensive, it's the labor that's going to kill you. Expect to spend about $500-700 to have it replaced.

After doing some research, VW actually recommends that the water pump be replaced at 70,000 because they are known to go bad quickly. Get it done!
    If you had 70K miles on 2001, then you were coming due for timing-belt replacment anyway. There is a reason that the waterpump, pullies, tensionors and all other inexpensive parts are replaced at same time. (they wont last till the NEXT timingBelt change!)

NOT replacing waterpump when TB is replaced is just asking for trouble.... the cost is not in the parts... it is in the labor to get in there.

Also, When replacing the waterpump in VW, It is recommended to spend a few more dollars and get the one with METAL IMPELLER. The factory waterpump with plastic impeller is KNOWN to come apart after awhile.
  • mebbugnmebbugn Member Posts: 1
    I was stranded along side the road due to my car overheating. Come to find out my water pump needs to be replaced. It is being replaced with metal impellers due to the water pump that is orginal has plastic impellers. This is costing me 700.00. :cry: I am also going to get the timing belt replaced at the same time. I have 78,000 miles on my 2002 beetle. I think that VW should replace water pumps for free, this should be a recall.
    Wooah.... at 78,000 miles - you were close to replacing all that stuff ANYWAY. I assume you already were planning on this expense coming up soon.

$700 is not an unreasonable price for replacing all that stuff (Timing Belt, Waterpump, tensioners, pullies, oil-seals and all the other things that go along with the job)

BTW: A "recall" is only for safety-related items.... othewise it would be a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten)
  • steph17steph17 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I recently baught an 04 beetle ( my first car!) and I have been told that the parts are extremely expensive. Does anyone know a good place to order parts online for a reasonable price? So far when i go to the dealership, a windshield wiper arm costed 150$ for replacement and and even a spare set of keys would cost 310$ so I am a litte worried so far about keeping this car. Any suggestions or options would be very helpful :) thankyou!
  • brit7collegebrit7college Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys. I'm having a hard time deciding between which beetle to get, and I would love some help from previous owners & beetle lovers/ haters.

I previously owned a 2002 beetle GL. It was the lime green color and I loved it. Sold that a few months ago because I had to move.

I found two beetles that I want to purchase but after reading, I am comparing my options. I want to make sure this car lasts me and I don't have to sink a lot of money into it.

Option 1. 2009 Beetle S Coupe in Heaven Blue Metallic. 14000 miles on it. One owner with carfax. Loaded, manual transmission. It comes with a preowned warranty on it also until 2014. *Asking 15879*

Option 2. 2006 Beetle Convertible in Yellow. Excellent Condition, 16000 miles on it. One owner with carfax. Automatic trans. It comes with the preowned until Jan 2011. *Asking 15500*

Honestly, I want the convertible. However, I am afraid of the problems that might come with them. Please beetle owners help me make the right decision. Thanks for your time.
  • winklebugwinklebug Member Posts: 3
    Does the rattling only happen when turning left or right? I thought VW left a tool in my car as well...sounded like something rattiling around in plastic box--turned out to be a bad ball joint--sound went away only to reappear worse with a shimmy and shking in the car...brought it back...and then the power steering rack went out and got replaced...

Nevermind--I jsut realized this was posted 4 years ago--what did the rattle turn out to be? By the way..

I tell ya!
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    If you review problems with the New Beetles, most were the first few model years for the sedan (mechanical). Convertibles started in 2003. They had two problems early on. The rear window was glued in (not unique to VW - apparently many convertibles had this), and after a few years the glue let loose, and the window would come loose. Some owners had them reglued (local car upholstery shop) or had to have a new top (very expensive). The second problem was the little winged, hinged covers that would open and close to cover up some of the gears on the top. These were on the left and right side of the car, by the back seat windows. These tended to break, and so VW eliminated them. I am not sure of the 2006 model. Put the top up and down and see if these hinged wings are on this car. I have a 2008 VW Beetle Convertible and that does not have the "wings". Also - VW fixed the rear window issue, as I don't see complaints on the more recent models (from about 2005 and newer).

Get the convertible. We have owned ours for just about two years and it is loads of fun!

Bel Air Car Guy
  • larntsenlarntsen Member Posts: 2
    2002 tdi bug turns over but then dies immediately, put in new battery, still happens occasionally...why?
  • larntsenlarntsen Member Posts: 2
    I had one also, I just got under it and pushed up and it popped up, it is a pain, i so understand why you want it off.
    Are you saying that the engine *starts* then it immedeately quits?

If so, this is often the "immoblizer" kicking in. Try all 3 of the keys and see if this happens with all of them.

If this *does* happen with all 3 keys, then consider changing the fuel-filter and pay close attention to the O-rings below the mickey-mouse clip. The 2 O-rings are *DIFFERENT* sizes and need to be installed approprately so the fuel-pump does not suck air into the system.
  • pinkkatpinkkat Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Key wont turn off alarm. Lights blink on the knob. Turn key in ignition, the alarm goes off! Battery is dead each time. bought new batteries for the key. Installed correctly. First, why wont the key turnoff the alarm. Second, is the alarm light draining the battery. third, What to do???!! :cry:
  • info2011info2011 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem...did you find out what was wrong? Thanks.
  • rohowkerohowke Member Posts: 1
    Id love to find out what happened with this. Im having the same problem.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    The 2012 Beetles are now starting to arrive at dealers is reasonable numbers so we should see more on the road. Is it possible to start a thread on the newly designed 2012?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking to hear from male consumers for their opinion on the new VW Beetle. Is it masculine? If not, why not? If it is masculine, what do you find appealing about it? If you have an opinion on the new VW Beetle, and are willing to share your story with a reporter, please email [email protected] no later than the end of business Monday, March 5, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• glakshmanglakshman Member Posts: 1
    Repair cost for New Beetles are expensive.