Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus ZX3 vs. VW Golf

124»

Comments

• norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    I have little experience with the Golf. I have owned 2 Zx3. A 2000 (terrible 5spd transmission problems and quality issues----I traded it in and bought a 2001 auto and I am now a happy Focus owner).

A zx3 is a great car if it is reliable, but resale is not the best.....It is always best to own it for more than 5 yrs.

A Golf may have better re-sale, but it still will be a big hit. A civic is your best bet for resale.

I would definitely have a Golf, but I find the zx3 roomier and like everyone says....it is fun to drive and to look at. It's a sharp, practical and neat little car. (If it's reliable---I'm lucky second time round....I have 21 K on it and no issues...no rattles....it's solid).

When does the new Golf come (GolfV)? I have heard it will be roomier. I am also intrigued with the new BMW 1 series....of course....it will be tough to buy for the first MY, but perhaps in 2007!!

Finally, in the US, the new small cars are getting interesting. Lots of amusing new cars out for less than 20K.

Protege5, Focus ZX5, Civic Hatchback (haven't seen one), Matrix/Pontiac, Golf, PT Snoozer. Even the Corrola looks a bit better. I would say the list of cars is far expanded from Golf vs Focus ZX3.

Still the ZX3 looks fresh and fortunately, I have one with a good personality too. I still think the 2002 ZX3/5 would have to be reliable by now.....the quality must be worked out after 750,000 made in the US/Mexico.

NorwayDoug
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    The emissions from them are also pretty dirty. So dirty, as a matter of fact, that by state law, you can't buy one in California or New York.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    TDI is sold in CA and NY and all other 48 states. You do get charged an extra $100 for emissions in CA and NY. The TDI is 50 states emissions certified. I correspond with several people in CA and NY that have purchased TDI in 2002, 2001, and 2000. There is no law in any state that prevents the sale of the TDI.

As far as emissions the TDI produces less of three of five of the main emissions produced by gas or diesel engines. Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)Hydrocarbons, and Particulates. TDI produces less Co2, less Hydrocarbons, less Co, about the same NOx, and more particulates. The TDI and other diesels are considered green in Europe because they produce less CO2 than gasoline engines and CO2 is the major contributor to global warming. And the diesel uses 30% less fuel.
    Still think it is dirty?

to shov6- resale for diesel vehicle is higher, not lower and diesel maintains resale value over a longer vehicle life than gasoline engine vehicle.
  • alitaalita Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 ZX3 with an automatic (there are my first two mistakes). I only get 240 miles per gallon. Terrible terrible terrible gas mileage.

I paid $17,000 for my ZX3 ... and, I wish I didnt. My Kelley Blue Book Value is around $11,015 trade in (loaded). I went to a dealer and asked how much they would give me and they 'looked in the KBB' and said $7400. WOW! What a hit. *sigh* .... I would rather have a GOLF TDI. Higher resale value ... better gas mileage (even with an automatic). AND ... you can modify it (good ol' NeuSpeed). = )
  • javasutrajavasutra Member Posts: 3
    Oddly enough, I've been researching Golfs and Foci for about a year now and I just now find this board.

I've finally decided on the Focus, mostly because of the incredible incentives Ford is offering now. Also, it's tough to find a Golf TDI around here.

Here are some tidbits I've picked up in the last year that may help some of you.

The TDI engine is said to be fantastic. The emissions are comparable with a 4 cyl gas engine and the performance is more a reflection of the torque than HP. Unfortunately, diesel engines will probably go away for a few years since the new EPA regs focus on the particulate emissions. They should return in 2006 when US diesel fuel will be made truly low sulphur. Then you should see some incredible TDI engines from several manufacturers.

Resale value on any small economy car is not going to be too great. If you want resale, get a truck or luxury car. Even then it's not that good. My wife's Volvo V70 has dropped $10k in two years!

You can get a wide variety of aftermarket performance parts for Foci, including hotter ECU chips, intake, exhaust, turbos, etc.

I've driven Ford cars for 18 years now and I have experienced very few quality problems. In fact, my wife's Volvo has had more quality problems than any of the Fords I've owned.

If all goes well, I'll get my new ZX3 today. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.
This discussion has been closed.